Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superheroine Peril / Mutants and Masterminds

experimenter73

Super-Earth
Basic Concept:

The players would be between 2-4 female college students in a world where superheroes and supervillains are real. They become the newest targets of a strange villain who is infecting people with a serum that gives them strange superpowers. The news coverage of these infecrted people has shown them going crazy and attacking innocent people around them. For some reason, it is different with these heroines.

Despite this, they find themselves hunted by both the government, who fears them, and the villain, who wants to study them.

Themes and Important Elements:

Bondage, Peril, Torture, Torment, Death traps, and wicked predicaments will be the name of this particular game. Their likely failures when faced with the odds stacked against them will see them suffer at the hands of vile people who will delight at their tears and ignore their pleas.

Mutants and Masterminds, 3rd Edition:

Previous knowledge of the game is unimportant. You don't need to own any of the materials. This will not be a game that rewards power-gaming and point maximization. The game itself plays very smoothly and allows for fun super-heroic action. The only challenging part to the learning curve, really, is character creation.

If you've never made a M&M character, then you can just let me know the sort of character you'd like to make and I can do the creation for you and then go over what it all means.

The Heroines:

Your character will be created in two steps. First, you'll need to decide who you were as a regular student on campus. What were you studying? What are your hobbies? How do you dress? What makes you who you are? After all of the characters are created, you can decide if any of you know each other and whether you're friends.

Then, we will create your character's heroic profile. For this, you basically just need to describe what sort of powers you want your character to have. For game purposes, they will be Power Level 7, which is the typical power level of side-kick-type characters. The initial powers should be a little erratic and challenging, but there will be room for these heroines to grow into their potential!

Logistics:

Right now, I am thinking this will be run in a play-by-post system. I am thinking we'll set up two or three days per week to work as deadlines for everyone to post what they will do. That will give us time to contact eachother with questions or coordination between those times. It will make for a slower paced story, but if we each put in a good amount of story with each post, I think it will move forward at a reasonable pace.

But, I'm open to other ideas on that front as well! If we all decide to play live once a week on Discord or something, that could work, too.

Interested?

If you're interested, drop a comment here to let me know your thoughts on how it would run... and, more importantly, let me know about the chracter you would like to play... both as a regular college student and a heroine to be.

Gotcha. What all should we be putting into the thread? Like I said, I'll be reading up to make sure that I'm capable of putting a character together, but knowing what you want in specifics would allow for me to go about this a bit quicker.

Gotcha. What all should we be putting into the thread? Like I said, I'll be reading up to make sure that I'm capable of putting a character together, but knowing what you want in specifics would allow for me to go about this a bit quicker.
I'll update the Intro Post in the OOC Thread to give more info of what I am looking for!

I have assembled and sent the character concept information! With the crunch of powers and all that included. Woo! :D

Miss Eleanora,

I think you might have bought your stats too high?

With your Fighting, Enhanced Fighting, and Close Combat Skill, you have +14 to hit. Which means your damage bonus would have to be +0, since you're capped at some trade-off of +7 attack and +7 damage. Which you also break by having Enhanced Strength +8 and Growth 4 (I think only permanent growth can break PL limits, but that might have been 2nd Ed)

So you can be more accurate and do less damage, or be less accurate but hit harder.

You would only need Enhanced Fighting 1 to being you up to the +7 cap if you keep your base Fighting and Close Combat Skill. And then Enhanced Strength +3 to give you +7 attack and +7 damage bonus

The same tradeoff exists with Dodge & Parry vs Toughness. You currently have a +12 toughness save, so you'd be capped at +2 defense. I don't see that you bought Dodge, Parry, Fortitude or Will saves though, so, you're not breaking limits there, but you may want to use some of these overspent points to bolster those.

Well shoot. :( That sucks. I may not have read that particular section and forgotten about it.

Seems a bit awkward though, intended for the character to be a melee combat monster but not really great at much else, and I have to make her better at other things?

Guess I need to do some editting. Drat

Well shoot. :( That sucks. I may not have read that particular section and forgotten about it.

Seems a bit awkward though, intended for the character to be a melee combat monster but not really great at much else, and I have to make her better at other things?
It was my intention to input your character into Hero Lab and let it do all the nice figuring for me that @Evendur just went through.

But fear not! There is no need to break the concept. There are a number of other options for spending those points that will keep her the specialized monster she is.

You could make her even better at melee?

Buy the Penetrating extra for your strength damage to give yourself wicked claws?

Also, not having Fortitude and Wil saves will wreck you. Should definitely buy up those.

Want me to draft up something and send it to you?

You could make her even better at melee?

Buy the Penetrating extra for your strength damage to give yourself wicked claws?

Also, not having Fortitude and Wil saves will wreck you. Should definitely buy up those.

Want me to draft up something and send it to you?
Sure, some help would be great. And penetrating probably would really fit with her claw. :D

Yeha, no worries, I love building characters.

I missed the damage 6 claw before too. Now techinically, the damage power doesn't have to stack with strength, but a claw probably should.

I'll have something for you in probs a couple hours.

Advantages can really make a melee character stand out and push the power level caps.
Improved critical is beastly.

I didn’t really take many advantages for my girl as she’s not a trained fighter.

Yeha, no worries, I love building characters.

I missed the damage 6 claw before too. Now techinically, the damage power doesn't have to stack with strength, but a claw probably should.

I'll have something for you in probs a couple hours.
So I made a few tweaks, boosting stamina for one. I believe the total of everything currently in my sheet is 92 power points so 13 to distribute. I think you are probably right about saves and putting them into that. But I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the assist. :)

One thing that you got wrong that I didn't notice at first, is that Alternate Form gives you -2 points off the whole package. Not off each individual power.

So unfortunately, you have less points to work with than you think.

But alternate form says that ALL powers are subject to the effect of activation flaw which notes that each power is reduced by a flat 2 in its entry

I've got a baseline for a sheet here. I didn't want to put it in the character creation stuff since this is still a baseline, and while I have spent points (maybe?) correctly and to their fullest, I'm probably going to have to lower things nonetheless. This is basically to confirm whether or not I've done things correctly, and if I have things right. Also as a baseline for suggestions. As I said before, I don't intend to play a combat-heavy character, but one suited to skills and infiltration and the like.

In any case, any advice in general is all good, since this is my first time putting stuff together. And as a note, I have costs next to just about everything in parentheses.

And if it helps, my character is meant to be a more standoffish sort of college student, going through the motions of schooling to please her family. Rumors have probably gone out about her because of this standoffishness, but she is generally around in social events, and generally gets invited to more. She does not have a group that she hangs around. She is known to be exceedingly capable in school, and does well in athletic events, though she often doesn't show it off, due to a lack of extra-curricular activity on her part.

Afterwards, she gained the ability to slip through objects, which she has done her best to hide, but stressful situations for her make the power a bit wonky, either making it active, or not work quite as intended. She has been thorough with her testing of the power in secret, and has gained a steadily good use of it through her testing.

Ok, raising my hand for an assist with character build. I do not know the system, but according to the intro wasn't required, just needed more understanding of concept.

Becca Harrigan, a bit well rounded and overly tall for most women, 6'3" 240 lbs. Raised as the daughter of a sea captain, specifically captain of the merchant fishing vessel Teulu, it means family in Welsh. Raised by her grandparents upon the family fishing boat, Rebecca Harrigan was held to high and strict religious standards. She fought for her place on the ship, meeting all roles on the ship and proving herself again and again. Her education was high school at best aside from nautical math and biology. Her interests in the differenct beasts of the sea that came up in the nets piqued her interest in phylogeny, biomemetics, and prosthetics in the desire to build gear to offer a more authentic in sea experience, branching to interest in flight like birds and other biological structures.

Skills
piloting -- boats
Piloting -- car
Piloting -- ship
Piloting -- trucks
Profession -- Fishing
Academics -- biology
Academics -- Engineering (Prosthetics)
Academics -- Mathematics -- Calculus for calculating location with latitude and longitude, Trigonometry for guiding by the stars and identifying locations by the stars
Combat -- Wrestling (Fighting for her respect on the ship)

Her parents were con-artists, running scams nation wide culminating in a capture after a particularly lucrative Florida real estate scam. While celebrating their gains (in excess of 4 million dollars) the mother in a pique of drunken anger was captured beating a post office box with a pipe. Later she led them to her husband before she sobered.

--- Family Connections
--- Complication -- Family criminal background, possible arise and want to be a part of her life and complicate things. legally or not.
--- Complication -- Religious Code

I see her physical, very physical, though her mind is sharp for math and calculations, she is not among the great thinkers. Shy, she has a poor self image as she carries a few more pounds than is ideal, and is much taller than ideal.

Any volunteers would be nice to aid in determining what else I need to consider.

Initial Powers, Prehensile Hair, Enhance Physical Attributes, limited morphing.

But alternate form says that ALL powers are subject to the effect of activation flaw which notes that each power is reduced by a flat 2 in its entry
Unfortunately...

"Choose a set of effects that reflect the capabilities of your Alternate Form, based on the examples following. Then choose the action required to assume your Alternate Form: if it requires a move action, subtract 1 power point from the total cost of the effects. If it requires a standard action, subtract 2 points. See the Activation flaw for details."

But there's also "Hero Form" which is what I was basing it off of generally with all the powers of significance tied to it. Which says.

"Heroic: You have a distinct "hero" form, in addition to your "normal" form. Essentially, all your powers have the Activation modifier! The inability to assume your heroic form might also constitute a complication for you from time to time."

If I am wrong I can live with it, just sharing why I operated the way I did.

The tradeoff is all your powers are activated in a single action, as opposed to having to take a standard action to activate them each individually.

I think that's just poor wording in the Hero Form, since it doesn't have a defined set of powers, and saying that whichever ones you choose take that action to be activated.

The tradeoff is all your powers are activated in a single action, as opposed to having to take a standard action to activate them each individually.
Okay, well fixing that, my new total ends up being 102. So not much to work with left over. But at least still not over the limit. Woo! :D

I've got a baseline for a sheet here. I didn't want to put it in the character creation stuff since this is still a baseline, and while I have spent points (maybe?) correctly and to their fullest, I'm probably going to have to lower things nonetheless. This is basically to confirm whether or not I've done things correctly, and if I have things right. Also as a baseline for suggestions. As I said before, I don't intend to play a combat-heavy character, but one suited to skills and infiltration and the like.

In any case, any advice in general is all good, since this is my first time putting stuff together. And as a note, I have costs next to just about everything in parentheses.

And if it helps, my character is meant to be a more standoffish sort of college student, going through the motions of schooling to please her family. Rumors have probably gone out about her because of this standoffishness, but she is generally around in social events, and generally gets invited to more. She does not have a group that she hangs around. She is known to be exceedingly capable in school, and does well in athletic events, though she often doesn't show it off, due to a lack of extra-curricular activity on her part.

Afterwards, she gained the ability to slip through objects, which she has done her best to hide, but stressful situations for her make the power a bit wonky, either making it active, or not work quite as intended. She has been thorough with her testing of the power in secret, and has gained a steadily good use of it through her testing.
I won’t be able to get to it until tomorrow morning, but I definitely see how this character could come together.

What do you think about her power also extending a bit to include a sort of magnetic non-personality? That being, in my mind, like people manually want to have her around, but at the same time tend to forget she’s there? The concept jumped out at me while I was reading your description.

And I mean that in addition to the things you already came up with.

Ok, raising my hand for an assist with character build. I do not know the system, but according to the intro wasn't required, just needed more understanding of concept.

Becca Harrigan, a bit well rounded and overly tall for most women, 6'3" 240 lbs. Raised as the daughter of a sea captain, specifically captain of the merchant fishing vessel Teulu, it means family in Welsh. Raised by her grandparents upon the family fishing boat, Rebecca Harrigan was held to high and strict religious standards. She fought for her place on the ship, meeting all roles on the ship and proving herself again and again. Her education was high school at best aside from nautical math and biology. Her interests in the differenct beasts of the sea that came up in the nets piqued her interest in phylogeny, biomemetics, and prosthetics in the desire to build gear to offer a more authentic in sea experience, branching to interest in flight like birds and other biological structures.

Skills
piloting -- boats
Piloting -- car
Piloting -- ship
Piloting -- trucks
Profession -- Fishing
Academics -- biology
Academics -- Engineering (Prosthetics)
Academics -- Mathematics -- Calculus for calculating location with latitude and longitude, Trigonometry for guiding by the stars and identifying locations by the stars
Combat -- Wrestling (Fighting for her respect on the ship)

Her parents were con-artists, running scams nation wide culminating in a capture after a particularly lucrative Florida real estate scam. While celebrating their gains (in excess of 4 million dollars) the mother in a pique of drunken anger was captured beating a post office box with a pipe. Later she led them to her husband before she sobered.

--- Family Connections
--- Complication -- Family criminal background, possible arise and want to be a part of her life and complicate things. legally or not.
--- Complication -- Religious Code

I see her physical, very physical, though her mind is sharp for math and calculations, she is not among the great thinkers. Shy, she has a poor self image as she carries a few more pounds than is ideal, and is much taller than ideal.

Any volunteers would be nice to aid in determining what else I need to consider.

Initial Powers, Prehensile Hair, Enhance Physical Attributes, limited morphing.
Happy to assist! I’ll have some time in the morning to put together an idea of a setup for the characters. I’ve got everything I’ll need from your thorough description!

I won’t be able to get to it until tomorrow morning, but I definitely see how this character could come together.

What do you think about her power also extending a bit to include a sort of magnetic non-personality? That being, in my mind, like people manually want to have her around, but at the same time tend to forget she’s there? The concept jumped out at me while I was reading your description.

And I mean that in addition to the things you already came up with.
I think that could work out. Presently my biggest worry right now is basically that Insubstantial costs quite a bit. If I were smarter, I'd have gone for less abilities, and more so spend on skills for a better deal, but I figured I'd put skills where they make sense backstory wise.

But I think her being more so integral, sorta like a backstage worker makes a lot of sense.

Thanks in advance for the help, though!

I think that's just poor wording in the Hero Form, since it doesn't have a defined set of powers, and saying that whichever ones you choose take that action to be activated.

Also just want to thank you for the help. It's been a long time since I worked with the system and to be honest I build like 3 characters for games that never happened so your experience and feedback has been really appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom