Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lords and Ladies (LingeringDesire & Greeneyed23)

The sight of Fenice's remarkable figure and gorgeous face had brought a very pleased smile to Ne'ebo's face but he had maintained his focus and fought off his attackers. When she had gone and the smell of food had come Ne'ebo ha allowed his students to slowly filter away though Kay, William and several others stayed for some more advanced techniques.

William and Kay left together last of all while Ne'ebo stayed and cleaned up the training area. He was making note of weapons that needed to be replaced when a cloaked figure approached him from behind.

The figure was a tall rangy beast with thin but powerful limbs, flesh pale as snow a satanic tattoo etched on his arm that also bore a wicked two bladed dagger. He raised the blade over his head and opened his mouth when Ne'ebo whirled and crushed the attackers throat then buried the falling knife into the figure's chest. he fell over and Ne'ebo crouched pulling the figure's hood away revealing the deformed and twisted face. He sighed as he studied the face and the guards came rushing in as one had noticed the attack and the resulting counterattack.

Ne'ebo explained what happened several times before Elias arrived. the tattoo is what caught everyone's attention. Ne'ebo did not know the mark at all but Elias did. He took Ne'ebo aside to explain.

"Ne'ebo I do not know how religious you are..." "Just a recent acquisition Your Grace." Elias nodded, "Well you see there are certain groups that wish to bring the Christian faith down. i don't mean the druids and the other spirit worshipers,which i believe would technically include your fellow Samurai." Ne'ebo nodded. "But up here we have the long legend that Joseph of Arimathea brought the Holy Grail here to England. While he was here he made an incredible number of enemies. I do not know if he really brought the Grail but he was an immensely rich and powerful man and left many relics and artifacts as well as a long and healthy bloodline which I have been told include Lancelot and Galahad." Ne'ebo nodded again waiting. "Well anyway some of his enemies included a number of mystics and especially dangerous Druids who believed he was a threat to their powerful. They declared war on him and his family. And I do mean war. Battles, thefts, murders, and every other possible crime were commuted and eventually Joseph appealed to the powers of the time and went after them and hunted his enemies down. They survived by hiding in the darkness and becoming people like that..." he gestured at the dead attackers. "You know by the tattoo."

Ne'ebo nodded walking with Elias getting the rest of the story as they went to dinner. He found Fenice and quickly assured her that he was unharmed and the guard was searching the entire castle then the town around it for any more of the beasts. Ne'ebo watched her face worried.

Ne'ebo went to his place and ate quietly waiting for the answer on whether they should expect more. The report came in soon after informing all that there was no sign of any more of the creatures and for now everyone was safe.

Laughing jubilantly with the children she entered a silent hall. Solemn eyes rose up to her smiling face, her smile faltered as Mathilde whispered into her ear. Like a flash she took off. What beast had come for him, what beast would be sent for her? Sir Kay and Sir William grabbed her at Mathilde’s urging. The strong knights took her blows, worn out from their work out they faltered and she was off, running free once more.

The Archbishop stepped out at the commotion. The words had reached him as well. Sparing the princess the gruesome sight he grasped her and drug her toward the hall using all his might. “Precious Fenice, what good will it do your dreams to see such a creature? Ne’ebo is perfectly fine; the incident has been put to rest.”

Fenice’s glowering green eyes landed on his face, her tears twisting and contorting even his kindness into something of pity in her mind. “What evil comes for me?” She screamed into his face. His tight embrace kept her from crumbling. Her future was in limbo because of the wrath of others, would it stop when they married? When a child grew in her womb, would it cease? As she lay dying in her bed, would they finally pull back and stop with their reign of terror?

“My child, God shall protect you as he has Ne’ebo. He would not allow anything to come to you like that.” He held her close allowing her to compose herself before they re-entered the hall.

On the other side Elias and Ne’ebo entered. As quick as could be she was sprinting into his arms, worried green eyes found his, unspoken questions given out. Uncertainty filling her very depths. Her lips pressed up to his, ignoring all else as she spent a few moments drinking him in. Pulling back she gazed up at him, fear etched her every beautiful feature. Worry, concern and dread painted over her countenance one at a time.

He was her everything and to lose him would mean losing a part of her that was so vital it caused her breathing to go lax and she felt faint. Sitting at his side, chair moved closer to his she picked at her food in relative silence. What did this mean? Were they under attack? Determination filled her, she was not about to sit idly by and allow these things to ruin her life. Should matters be taken into one’s fair hands? Certainly not but she saw no other choice.

The report was given; a sigh of relief left the castle, save Fenice. She knew the dark truth. Just because one had come and gone did not mean they were safe. Shoving her plate away her eyes darkened. Lifting a hand to garner Mathilde’s attention she spoke a few words. The laughs filling the hall ceased as they tried to understand if what they heard was truly, what they heard. “Prepare my weapons. Before sunset my arrows shall find themselves buried in targets many times over and my blade bathed in the splintering wood of targets.”

Ignoring the looks of her father and the others at the table she rose and strode to her chambers. Once there the dress was stripped of her form. Leggings and a shorter dress covered her form. A leather and metal corset adorned her waist over the dress before a chainmail half shirt draped over her soft breasts, covering her heart and all of her shoulder area. Boots were laced upon her feet and leather straps maintained the severity of her braid as it hung down her back. A worn leather belt was clasped at her hips, a scabbard hung there sheathing her sword. Shouldering her quiver she sprang from her room and out to the field beyond.

Elias had shrugged and commanded the guards to set about in the field to keep watch over his ever willful child. She stormed onto the battle area, arrow perched among the strings of her bow before she effortlessly let it fly. Sir Quentin had spared nothing in training her, an aim so fierce she’d surpassed her father by the age of fifteen, though she didn’t enjoy a braggart. Firing off a series of arrows she spun moving across the field and demanding the men move the targets for her.

Quiver empty of arrows she growled out for the servants to retrieve them. Chest heaving from exertion she felt eyes on her. Spinning this way and that, the deadly look in her eye powerful as she flung her gaze over the land. The look said it all, showing that she would refuse to go quietly.

Fenice's rage and fire surprised Ne'ebo but pleasantly. He had seen it before but never to this degree and deep within him a part of him he had thought dead or dormant rose up and called out to her. Ne'ebo followed her out onto the field rather enjoying the sight of her in armor.

Her skill was remarkable and Ne'ebo immediately knew who he had to thank for her training though he also knew that it was her fire and innate talent that had made her the exceptional markswoman she was.

When she whirled her eyes alight with danger and challenge Ne'ebo caught her face and kissed her his own inner beast roaring up to meet hers with his passion and hunger. When he broke the kiss he cupped her face. "Fenice...Etua bry ka ta wlynd. La ba tue ny." he kissed her again then translated. "With all my heart and soul i love thee. For now and always." The words had been harsh and powerful but the deep emotion and feeling that came through them and his eyes screamed the truth of them to her.

He smiled and slipped alone behind her raising her bow in her hand and wrapping his other hand around hers a single arrow in their now joined hands. he drew the arrow back with their hands and whispered in her ear. "I shall always defend you. This land. our Children. And all that is good.... Because I love you." he released the arrow and it split her best shot cleanly in half. " We are on a great journey My Princess. And i promise you. i will never leave your side nor will I let anything short of an Act of God Himself remove em from this life." He kissed her deeply his hands still linked with hers his powerful body wrapped around hers.

*&*

Far to the north the circle of cloaked figures came together again. this time they had already slayed their sacrifices and brought the blood with them. The High priest lay a new dagger, exactly like the one that Ne'ebo had killed their assassin with, on the center stone and as they chanted the worshipers poured the blood of their sacrifices upon the dagger while the high priest spoke his incantation and the mass of cultists shouted their reply.
"May this knife only ever know life's blood. may it find that of the purveyor of our Ancient Enemy. The Archbishop of Britain. May it still his heart. "
"STILL HIS HEART!"
"May it drink the life of this new creature Ne'ebo fa Hargik. May it bring his death."
"BRING HIS DEATH!!!"
"May it take the life of Elias the Golden Knight. he who has held the throne and denied our rights for so long. May it halt his breath."
"HALT HIS BREATH!!"
"May it find Fenice. Daughter of Elias. The future ruler of Britain and our mortal enemy. May it silence her."
"SILENCE HER!!!"
The final cry echoed about the hills and valleys surrounding them for what seemed ages. The cultists drank the blood that remained and the high priest lifted the drenched dagger and gave it into the hands of a selected group of assassins. "kill them all." The figures nodded and as one they all vanished into the shadows until only the high priest remained gazing south towards Camelot.
"We are coming little princess. you cannot hope to best us...and I will drink the blood from your veins. While your heart.Still.Beats."
He shuddered in pleasure at the thought then seemingly vanished into the darkness like a shadow leaving no sign of his presence except the fresh blood on the rock and around it not even a single blade of grass bent in his or his follower's movements.

The powerful storm raging with in her body spiked, her lips finding his. Allowing her hunger to rise she pressed forward, without trepidation her entire body on fire. Possessively her hand went up over his shoulders and slid into his hair, holding him there as they shared their passions in this kiss. It seemed an eternity they stood their embracing. A moment so hot Fenice thought that even he falling snow could not quell the flames.

The breaking of the kiss did not even pull a whimper from her lips; she stood staring up at him. Breasts heaving in the plain brown dress and armor. The emotion wrapping about them was causing her head to spin. The thick guttural words stroked her ears and she repeated them softly back as he translated after another heated kiss. She believed him, looking up into his eyes she knew she could. The same emotions reflected back to him, she would rather die fighting for his life and her country than to die by the hands of a coward that sent others in their stead.

Trembling as his warmth encompassed her body she stayed still, taking her stance when he lifted the bow in their joined hands. Taking it a step further she laced their fingers. His breath on her neck caused her to shiver. His words caused her to calm, though she knew she would be fighting at his side. Her body was overcome with joy and her eyes began to leak joyous tears down her cheeks as their lips pressed forward and their hands stayed combined.

She felt safe in his embrace, his hard body against and around hers. Fenice prayed that no act of the Almighty ever take him away. She knew without him she’d have been a shell of what she once was. Pressing back she allowed his body to swallow and overtake hers. It was nice letting go and knowing that he could hold her up when she wasn’t strong enough or as the uncontrollable rage burned within her.

It took a bit but the duo were pried apart, the sun having slipped below the horizon and the guards ushering everyone home, to lock their doors and stay inside. Mathilde rushed Fenice in and away from Ne’ebo. No time for good night they’d had their kisses. Sleep was just supposed to overtake them? Growling at her maid the princess stripped her clothing from her body and placed it in the faux panel on her wardrobe.

“I’m to sleep after that?” she asked, her voice so full of emotion. “I desire him more than breathe, food or shelter... please Mathilde... allow me to return to his side?”

“Such things are not proper or appropriate, both of which you understand. Honor and grace is needed now as the kingdom is fragile and susceptible to attack. A slight knock on the door and a murmur of voices between Mathilde and whoever it was. Seeming to have forgotten their conversation when she returned Mathilde dressed and readied the princess before retiring from the room.

Thinking it odd but shaking it away she smirked and moved toward the door. A figure stepped out from behind the long drapes of her room. A hooded cloak wrapped around his or her form. Throwing caution to the wind she opened her door and cried out knowing Ne’ebo would come running. Crying wolf in this instance may just have saved her life as she pushed forward in to the hall. A trail of blood drops, fresh on her stone floor was the only thing in her room. Leading to and from the curtains.

She spun with a smile on her face, though in seeing the figure shrieked. Blood curdling scream ripping from her body as she darted into the hall. Every ounce of color draining from her face. Still the cloaked thing advanced. Guards rushed forward, the outstretched pale hand jutted forth and dropped something to the ground. Sparks and then smoke poured forth from the spot.

Fenice's cry did not make Ne'ebo run. It made the guards run. The other knights ran. Elias and Ne'ebo on the other hand had bowled over everyone and anything in their way to reach their beloved Fenice the Archbishop right behind them but Ne'ebo's youth, skills, and vigor gave him an edge. Instead of taking the stairs he had simply scrambled up the wall to the hall outside her room and as she came out of her rooms he dove in her father taking her in his arms while Ne'ebo gripped the figure who had been trying to escape out the window.

Ne'ebo roared his rage and hurled the creature out the door over both royals and Ne'ebo had followed leaping out into the air after the beast. he had caught it punching kneeing and headbutting the beast while it tried to fight him. Ne'ebo was still roaring and the beast stood no chance as Ne'ebo beat it to pulp before they even landed on the table below. Ne'ebo stood on the dead body panting and staring down at it in hate.

"AARON!!" The new captain of the guard jumped and came over. "Lord general?" Ne'ebo did not look away from his victim. "You are to triple the guards. If another one of these creatures makes it inside this palace i will be very displeased with you. Am i understood?" "Yes Lord General...." Aaron scampered off to obey as Ne'ebo crouched over his victim opening the mouth revealing that like it's fellow tit's tongue had been removing as well as it's voice box though this one's sex could not be determined. Ne'ebo snarled like a jungle cat as the Archbishop said his name.

"Ne'ebo we need to remove and burn the body..I-" Ne'ebo said nothing but gripped the body and hurled it out the door. "let it rot." he turned and went back to Fenice.

"Fenice are you alright my love?" Elias had effectively released and shoved her into Ne'ebo's mighty arms knowing that even he could not comfort her as Ne'ebo could. Ne'ebo gently stroked her face. "Forgive me for failing you?"

She buried her head into her father’s chest, his solid heartbeat helped ease her mind. Fenice was a brave girl but the deformed face she’d glimpsed beneath the hood scared her beyond anything. Even if she’d had her sword she’d have possibly run. Barely aware of Ne’ebo shoving past and the roaring champion coming to life in her room she sobbed. Mathilde had run up behind the Archbishop, coming from his room as well, though no one saw.

Mathilde moved through the castle, guards flanking her. Something she would have never liked but with the recent attacks it was called for. She fixed a tray of tea and moved back up to the rooms while the guards swept through the castle coupled with the knights. Searching and seeking for any sign of another beast or entrance of anyone into the castle. All windows were closed and rooms not in sue were locked up after they were checked. Every inch of the castle was scoured by groups of armed men.

Fenice heard his voice and lifted her tear streaked face as her father shoved her into Ne’ebo’s strong arms. She couldn’t even answer him, tears clogged her throat. A soft whimper left her throat as she gazed up at him. Heart pounding rapidly in her chest still as his long fingers stroked her face. There was nothing to forgive, he couldn’t know she had only been joking when thing took a turn for the worse.

“It-it is not your fault,” She lifted her hands to his lips; gently she stroked her finger tips around the edge of his lips. “Please, take me to bed and do not leave me.” She whispered up to his face, eyes trailing over his dark skin. A fresh batch of tears fell when she closed her eyes and took in a deep, much needed, breath. “I can’t get the image of his face out of my head.” She trembled against him, “Please…”

Ne'ebo nodded stroking her back and whispered to Elias. "Please bring Mathilde. I cannot leave her after this." Elias nodded and sent for Mathilde while Ne'ebo gently guided Fenice to her room then to her bed. He kicked off his boots and lay on the bed holding her covering them up with a blanket. Then he held her.

Though he was immensely attracted to her, this moment was entirely nonsexual. He just held her tight and gentle to his chest ignoring Mathilde when she came in. He did not speak just holding her stroking her spine trying to sooth her and made sure she knew she was safe in her arm.

The castle had been thoroughly searched and there was no sign of any other attackers. the guards were still roaming the castle i droves checking every room, hall, and hidden alcove in a constant random patter. while this happened inside, outside a perimeter fence was being put into place. Fences, extra guards and patrols circled the whole town to protect the entire place and for now Camelot was safe the attackers sent not yet having arrived in or around Camelot.

Fenice followed him, as though in a daze. Her thin gown swirling about her slim legs as she waited for him to climb on the bed. He held her close. Her body trembling on top of his as he pulled her close. The stroke of his long fingers caused her to lessen her tremble. Her tears continued to fall; she knew he intended to keep her safe. But nothing could erase that image from her mind.

Mathilde came in with a tray of hot tea, the same she’d prepared many times over this night. One for Elias and the archbishop and a few more for the guards and knights moving through the castle. She slid into the chair at the bedside and fixed a cup. “Fenice, drink this.”

“No,” she whispered softly rubbing her face into Ne’ebo’s tunic to dry it. Her soft fingers gripped the fabric.

“Fenice, drink this. You know how it will help ease your mind and make sleep find you.” She refused to mention the fact that it would ease the aches she felt from sleeping curled in the chair every night. It wasn’t something the male holding her needed to know.

Fenice sighed and lifted her head, one hand reaching out to grasp the cup. Carefully, she sipped the contents. The warmth spread through her body and she felt the tension easing. His fingers continued their stroking. The way she moved caused his hands resting at her hips to dip a touch lower before he seemed to recover and move them back up.

Mathilde said nothing only poured her own cup of tea before offering Ne’ebo one as well. “Would you like a cup of tea Ne’ebo?” She asked adding a cube of sugar to her own cup. Fenice was prepared to move if he wanted to partake in the calming fluid.

Ne'ebo shook his head. "No thank you Mathilde. I relax naturally. But thanks anyway." He looked down at Fenice still stroking her spine studying her eyes.

His gentle fingers and warm body were his best tools for calming and soothing her. His hair was freshly washed and tied back in it's many braids splayed out over her pillow making it smell more like him. His scent was an oddly animal one. He smelled wild and dangerous but also protective loving and gentle.

he reached down and lifted her up slightly so he could peel his robes off tossing them aside letting her rest on his bare chiseled chest the scars there now fully on display.

He had two groups of claw scar son his chest one on his right pectoral angled down toward his left hip the other over his heart and down onto his abdominal muscles. He also had a number of small pinch, stab, slash, and bruise scars. His skin was dark as pitch though the many scars were even darker.

He ran a hand through her hair smiling. "You are so very beautiful my love. "

Fenice smiled at him as he declined the tea. Mathilde shrugged and sipped her own tea before settling back into the chair. Fenice allowed her eyes to flit over Ne’ebo’s face, her body settling with the help of him and the tea. Timid fingers touched the braids of his hair. The odd scent of him touching her nostrils and filling her senses.

Moving slightly back she smiled down at him as he stripped the tunic from his body. Casting a glance at Mathilde she watched as the woman stood and gathered the tray leaving before the princess could say or do anything more. She trusted Ne’ebo, Fenice was a different story. The maid left the room and ambled down the hall to check on Elias before retiring for the evening.

“Oh my...” Her breathed our softly, her breath quickening. The last time he’d been bare he’d been too far away to see clearly. The one time when she presented herself after banishing Thismal, he had slept bare chested but the adrenaline rush kept her calm. Now, now was a different thing all together. Moving closer she bit her lip and caressed the scars gently upon his chest.

“Ne’ebo,” she whispered. Her eyes were on fire, the heat flared. She knew they shouldn’t and they couldn’t. Closing her eyes she laid her head on his chest. The power it took not to move and not to entice him was overwhelming. The day was exhausting. His hand through her hair made her shiver.

Rising she opened her eyes, lips pressing to his. “Thank you, I adore you and … I can’t help myself but want you. But I shall be an adult and not allow my head to be lost in lust. I promise to allow myself only to lose my head once I am promised to you.” Her breath slowly fell across his chest. Her head dipping to place soft kisses over one group of scars. “I cannot wait until you are mine fully and I can trace each part of your body with my lips, fingers and tongue.” The thought caused her to tremble.

Fenice stilled and refused to look up into his eyes. If she were to see any amount of flame she’d have been lost within it and not be able to keep her word. “I love you… goodnight.” She drifted off to sleep held tight in his arms. Tears of frustration dripped to his chest when she relaxed and let them before snuggling into him deeper breathing in his wild scent. Her dreams going to them running free in the jungles of Africa.

Hearing the tremulous tone in her voice Ne'ebo said nothing but just held her and did nothing until she fell asleep. Once she was asleep he kissed the top of her head and put out the lamp holding her tight to his chest as he also drifted off joining her in dreams of the jungle. As they swung along nude or nearly so living the wild happy life he had known as a boy. he was so happy his heart felt near to bursting.

While both of them dreamed, Elias went to his room and went top asleep dreaming of the gorgeous grandchildren his daughter would give him. The Archbishop rose from his prayers and went to sleep dreaming of one of the stories of his faith. Mathilde settled into her bed near Fenice's and dreamed of her little princess' wedding day to her Knight. Mathilde loved Fenice more than anything and approved of Ne'ebo quite a bit but she did worry that the two young lovers would not be able to restrain themselves. Fortunately she was wrong.

The next morning she brought the breakfast and happily she woke them int he position she had left them, Ne'ebo's pants still in place as was Fenice's nightie. She nudged them both awake and made them eat then sent Ne'ebo off to train. He kissed Fenice before he obeyed while Mathilde spoke to her young Mistress and convinced her to go train with her lover. "Ne'ebo will teach you to fight your way. You will need it if these cultists are going to keep coming." Elias came in once Fenice was dressed and also advised she go get her training but hey would leave it up to Fenice.

Ne'ebo was already hard at work training his knights. He had doubled the wights he wore and was not being as nice today beating them nearly to bits. When Fenice presented herself he trained her to fight the way that made her most comfortable. he tailored what he taught her to her style. She did not have the strength, speed, or agility to fight like him but she had her own skills which he focused on shaping them until her skills rivaled only his own. This process took a few days. He worked with her and the others, including Elias, until his trainees, especially the palace guards were ready and able to commit themselves to war on a level at least twice that of their most able opponents.

Ne'ebo had operated on himself differently. Every day he had increased the weights in heaviness location, and effectiveness until he was hefting at least four times his own body weight and was moving even more lithely and quickly than he had when he had first arrived. Aaron, Elias, William, Kay, Quentin, and of course Fenice had been trained in his unarmed combat and were showing great proficiency and even Mathilde had agreed to learn some of his techniques.

Over the seven weeks between the last attack by the cultists and the day before the tournament competitors arrived, Feburary 12, Ne'ebo, his trainees, his friends and his lover were not attacked and worked themselves hard to prepare for the tournament that would result in the marriage of Fenice and Ne'ebo.

On New Year's Fenice and Ne'ebo were able to dance all night and shared a lovely kiss at the stroke of twelve though afterwards Ne'ebo had been dragged off for a New year's Ride by Elais while Mathilde, Trala, and the other ladies of the court gathered around Fenice to watch and throw their favors to their selected knights and men and afterwards Ne'ebo was the only man who did not get heavily drunk and thus was the only one who was at full strength for the next week though he unmercifully forced them all to keep training.

Over the period between Christmas and February 12 the castle began to settle down. There were no further attacks but there were a number of rather...difficult incidents. Two weeks after New Year's Trala vanished one day and everyone had simply panicked. They had scoured the city for the child but no one had noticed that Ne'ebo was also gone. They both returned near nightfall with baskets full of herbs, leaves, blossoms, and even a few winter flowers that could be used to make medicines. Ne'ebo had gone out to find the girl but had found her with no trouble but had been talked into staying and helping her gather until both of them realized it was nearly dark and had gone home. Trala's parents were furious but they could not really yell at her as she had been with Ne'ebo but both had promised not to vanish again as Elias had had to hold Fenice down to keep her from going out to track down her beloved.

A week later Ne'ebo had been out checking on some business in town, including a gift to the tanner for the gorgeous job ion the bear rug now on Fenice's floor, when a small riot had broken out. The girls and single women, and even a few married women had swarmed him promising everything from eternal loyalty to him as king to demand to have him for their own. He had extricated himself in a rather unusual way. once he say them coming he had climbed up a flagpole perched atop it then dove across the square to another flagpole then jumped down onto a stall's canvas top which he bounced off of, flipped over the crowd of wild women and scampered safely into the castle as the guards chased them off.

That same day Fenice's new pets four puppies, a black and white female Akita named Etua (Love) and a red furred male Akita name Pek (Rage), and two Huskies, one snow white male Nis (Pure) and a timber wolf gray female Xar (Battle), all gifts from Ne'ebo, had been following their mistress when they had gotten distracted by a serving of roasted chicken and had snuck into the kitchens and found their way into the serving pot gorging themselves on chicken and ended up being served to the royal table still asleep on the bones of the chicken they had picked clean much to everyone's enjoyment. Ne'ebo adored the four dogs and spoiled them rotten and they loved him in return often to be found either in his lap or Fenice's the only other people they actually liked being Elias, Mathilde, and Trala. This was proven when all four had peed on Kay's armor while he had been wrestling with Ne'ebo. All four loved to watch 'Daddy' train and "Mommy' work and could always be found with either one or the other. Kay had been incensed when he found his armor stained but no one understood why until the dogs did the same thing to everyone who touched Ne'ebo or Fenice except the trio they had selected to like.

Two weeks after the dogs had arrived in the chicken, during which periods they had stolen things, started to fight, and had completely learned the castle and got into more mischief than even Tyrion and Tywin, Fenice's friend Ywen had returned married and pregnant with her knight and was simply ectstatic to see her friend and for the next week she could nor be pried away from Fenice although the dogs did not like her very much. Unlike the others this had not been simple dislike but on the first day she had arrived Ywen had rushed into Fenice's room and had broken the basket all four dogs had been sleeping in and accidentally stepped on them. they were unhurt but they were very snobby with Ywen now and would not endure her without orders from either Ne'ebo or Fenice. So it was that for the last week before the tournament the puppies were either with Ne'ebo or asleep on Fenice.

Ne'ebo and Fenice got to play chess, walk, or talk every night and he always got her a good night kiss and though they had had their first fight they were even more in love now than they had been and were only able to restrain themselves by the strictest and most careful methods of prevention. The fight had been legendary. Ne'ebo had not shown up for a chess match and Fenice had overreacted because the ladies in the court had been pouring poison in her ear about him cheating on him. Of course this was not true and she knew this but it had been a rough day. She had shouted at him when he came to kiss her goodnight and to everyone's surprise he had shouted back. He was not afraid to stand up for himself even to her and once he had her attention he explained that he had been called away to help rescue a cart that had tipped into a ravine with a family still inside. He had then kissed her and let her know he understood that the waiting and the tension was driving her mad just as it was him. He had begged her forgiveness and had forgiven her and the story of the happy lovebirds traveled the land quickly.

Finally it was the dawn of the 12th and Ne'ebo and the puppies were found down at the training area. He had been training the puppies as well and with their keen intelligence and natural ability they were proving to be just as talented and gifted as their adoptive parents. While he was practicing their archery they were all tussling. Ne'ebo planned on breeding both Etua and Xar with Nis and Pek and producing a few dozen puppies and begin spreading the bloodline all over the land. As they trained and Fenice slept the first of the tournament competitors arrived in Camelot and by noon two thousand knights were gathered to participate and more were expected.

While these all milled about settling in pitching tents taking rooms and buying food, Ne'ebo stayed in his training yard straining his body to the utmost. When Elias came down to collect him Ne'ebo had destroyed most of the training dummies, the dogs working on the few remaining while Ne'ebo was boxing a wall he had built breaking the bricks to bits with his fists, elbows, knees and feet. he was drenched with sweat, covered in dirt, dust, stone powder and all sorts of other debris. Only when Elias called for Fenice to call him off did Ne'ebo stop to go wash up so they could greet their guests.

Ne'ebo had somehow improved his body adding several layers of muscle to his already chiseled body and his strength now was simply terrifying. he had taken to using his opponents as weapons rather than actually weapons and his speed had increased exponentially and his accuracy with his throwing weapons was now so perfect that he had taken to trick shots simply to relieve the boredom. Though each knight was hopeful and most were egotistically confident, Ne'ebo was the odds on favorite and had the entire nation backing him, even the few knights from the United Kingdom supported him having come merely to compete. Once washed and dressed Ne'ebo took his place at Fenice's side kissing her. "Well my love soon I will be allowed to marry you legally. I hope you are ready."

*&*
The High Priest looked down form his horse his armor hiding his form. he was competing but so were many of his followers. They would not reveal themselves unless they had to. Now their assassins would be able to strike again the new arrivals severely limiting the effectiveness of the guards. He gave no signal as he greet his fellow knights ad their women. He looked at the palace and grinned under his helm Soon that throne will be mine!!

The dawn of the twelfth, Fenice never thought she’d see this day arrive. Slow and steady she rose, Mathilde liked that she rose early, but found it was only because of Lady Ywen. The woman hardly left Fenice any room to breathe. Though Fenice said nothing it bothered her that Ywen was married and pregnant. However, seeing the girl stare at her form in the mirror while rubbing a hand to her bare abdomen, very nearly broke her heart. No one questioned when the princess’s mirror was shattered and her fair knuckles cut and bruised. The maid could only hold her close and tell her that her time would come.

Elias understood this as well and did not dare broach the subject. The pups were a welcome change to the castle and although they weren’t the children he had in mind he adored them well. His usually bubbly and outgoing daughter was becoming quieter as the days progressed. Hard looks were passed and her smile was gone as she lost herself to her thoughts. Not that anyone could blame her, the tournament was more about her than any of the men, save Ne’ebo. He tried easing her mind, but it seemed his words went in one ear and out the other.

Making herself sick with worry over the course of this time, she’d lost weight. Though with her training she gained muscle. There were times when she challenged the guards well until after dark or in the rain. Only stopping when Ne’ebo interfered. His lips taking control of her slim form and her hand releasing the weapons to stroke his face and hair. It was a horrible thing when they were pulled apart and wretched most hearts to hear her cry out for him. Mathilde grabbed her and using a few other maids got her into her room. It wasn’t as though it was naughty, she mainly stood in his arms wither head to his chest.

Her sleep was lacking as well, taking to only sleeping in the chair with her swaddling of blankets wrapped tightly about her form. It wasn’t the healthiest of positions and even though her workouts helped her work out her achy muscles she and Mathilde longed for the day when she could sleep in a bed with Ne’ebo. Ywen was more annoying than helpful causing Fenice to bite her tongue more than she normally would because of her friends ‘delicate’ condition. The more she talked of her husband and the things he did for her the more Fenice wished to throttle her. Typically she turned that anger into something productive on the training field. The men didn’t know what got into her half the time, though she was certain Ne’ebo did since it seemed to be the time Ywen made her appearance known.

The pups were a great addition, something that brought a smile to her face and were special to her/ Fondly referring to them as her children, she was careful not to baby talk for fear they’d be quite jealous of the actual children, whenever they came. Ne’ebo had named two of them Xar and Nis, she piped in about wanting to name the Akita pup love. However the exotic names he chose didn’t sound right so she begged him to teach her love in the African language. Etua was appropriately named and although she loved them all Etua was her favorite. They slept in her room in a basket or on the bed, though they whined unless she lay with them for a bit, but even then she still had to sneak away.

The great fight caused her to snort, hearing her father call for her she dressed quickly and rushed to the field. “Sir Hargik, you mustn’t waste your energy on the wall, save it for the other knights.” She said it loud enough to cause a ripple of laughter to move around the field as men nervously laughed. Everyone knew he held her heart but they still were willing to try. She turned with the pups on her heels and moved in toward breakfast.

She was smarter than most and knew the whispers were false. Though his spending more time on the field than wither didn’t serve to help her rising nerves. The wedding plans were nearly finished; touches of Japanese and African culture weaved into the ceremony with help of picking the archbishops brain. But that night Ywen said something that worried her. “Each man has his own faults, perhaps Ne’ebo’s is showing too much love.” She knew he’d been cornered by the women at one point, perhaps one had broken through… her mind froze and when he burst in she couldn’t help but to yell at him. Furious words poured from her lips. Even when he shouted back at her she glared at him before the relief of tears came to her eyes and she ran to him.

It was the one night she enjoyed his arms for the night. The only night since the last and the only night until after the tournament. The pups had been overjoyed to share the bed with the couple and lounged on their daddy as much as Fenice did. The support of the kingdom fell on him, even some of the men competing knew this and their favor was him even while casting their own lot in the tournament. Elias was beside himself arranging for this many knights in his kingdom and the fact of the beasts still running loose. Even the unseen dangers of some of the men competing.

Standing in the great hall she smiled down politely at the crowds, some itching to get closer to her and others to him, the one she waited on. As the door opened her face brightened, she could sense him before she saw him. Offering her cheek was the best she could do in the presence of the knights but knew her lips were his when the sun went down. “Of course I am ready, I have my bow in case you change your mind and try running off.” She laughed softly, her father turning and quirking a brow at the young couple. Using his arm se maneuvered into her seat as her father called them to order and a prayer was said for the food.

Many people milled about in front of the table. Offering words or advice, they listened and even commented on some. But they never dared to ignore them. A chill swept through her as the doors opened and a tall male entered. Jet black hair and piercing blue eyes swept over the crowd and landed on her. The tint in her cheeks rose as they stared at one another, she didn’t know this man. Yet it was as though he could read her mind. Averting her gaze she cast a sidelong glance to Ne’ebo. One of which the male sensed and let his eyes follow as well, his lips curling into what –one could call- an evil smirk. No one else seemed to sense the fear welling due the man’s arrival.

Ne'ebo hated himself an the world around him as he watched Fenice struggle to endure the time between and was beyond thrilled that she was able to at least enjoy the puppies and that they gave her at least a little peace. he was well aware how close Fenice was to murdering her best friend and did his best, with Elias and Mathilde's help, to keep the two separated.

On the twelfth Ne'ebo would not leave his training grounds until Fenice called for him. After washing an dressing he sat beside Fenice Nis and Xar in his lap while Etua and Pek slept in her lap. He had already been announced as a competitor and they had begun announcing the arrivals early as there would be so many.

Fenice's reaction caught Ne'ebo attention and he looked at the man and froze and whispered in her ear. "Stay away from that man my love. That's Sir Bruce of Transylvania. he is a monster. He murders rapes and steals everything he wants. I have no clue how he got into this tournament but you must not be alone with him ever."

Ne'ebo glared at the beats of a man who came over to greet the royals an the lords and all four puppies growled at him their ears laid back their eyes filled with disgust and hate. Ne'ebo touched Xar and Nis and breathed Etua and Pek's names to silence them as he stiffly greeted Bruce who leered at Fenice and said. "You look ravishing Your Grace. Especially your breasts." he sneered and walked on while Ne'ebo glared at him his jaw set so hard that a vein in his neck was throbbing and pulsing it's way up tracing all over his face.

Bruce was making a nuisance and enemy of himself by flirting with the wives and ladies throughout the hall and insulting every man present. The tournament would be done differently this time around and would be on a challenge basis. Any man could be challenged at any time for either the sword or the lance though Elias also intended to allow them to use other weapons if they so chose. More than a hundred challenges came about Bruce in the first ten minutes he was there, including from Ne'ebo who was technically breaking the rules.

Elias had decided that Ne'ebo could not issue challenges as he would eliminate opponents too quickly though they covered this by explaining that unless he was fighting Ne'ebo would be busy with his duties as General. Of course Ne'ebo was the big target every man having already sent him a formal challenge as they knew he was the favorite not only in the odds but also Fenice's chose. He had accept ed them all and had decided to face them in order of arrival but because eh had so many the others were already issuing challenges.

Ne'ebo watched all of them and except for a select few began to be disgusted with his gender. They were crass, rude, filthy and cruel little monsters and seemed dedicated to causing as many problems as possible especially with the women around. This was why Elias was not letting any of them sleep in the palace.

*&*

The High Priest watched it all still wearing his helm and watching Fenice and Ne'ebo with hate behind his eyes. He had been announced but that was to his true name so it did not matter. Tonight his assassin's would be unable to strike but tomorrow, the final night before the tournament they would be free to slay his enemies. He did pull some rather wicked little tricks but none that would do any real damage. He made a note of the dogs the princess and her lover and decided they would make good sacrifices. He also poisoned some wine that did not harm the three women who immediately got sick but did have the palace in an uproar of security making Elias's life more difficult. He also set fire to a pair of tapestries which got a page punished, and even stole some silver which he put in Mathilde's bag and though this trick did not work as Ne'ebo came to her rescue, it became clear that the enemy was true among them.

The High Priest was thrilled to learn later that his assassin's had attacked a guard patrol and killed one and stabbed Aaron who would make a full recovery but would be unable to do his duty for at least ten days. Ne'ebo took Trala to calm her down while his wife sat by her husband's side.

He was also thrilled to learn that several others in the tournament had their own agendas and forces here and were already drawing battle lines to gain the hand of the lovely young princess.

*&*

Each of these men were sure Fenice would be their own but none of them were considering the danger of plotting on Fenice around Ne'ebo who saw all of them aiming for her and had his own plans in place to protect her and especially the puppies, Mathilde , Elias and the Archbishop. He himself was out alone and unprotected daring the others to come at him. He was beyond ready and when the ti,e came he planned to eliminate these monsters as threats forever not just hurt them. If he could manage it he would kill them and rescue their victims from them for all time.

He had only communicated this to Fencie and the puppies and had convinced her to promise not to reveal just how far he would go though Mathilde, the Archbishop,and Elias had assumed as much. So it was when Mathilde heard a large group of women, all of whom had chased Ne'ebo at one point despite Fenice, discussing how they would cheer over his bloody corpse, she relayed this information to Fenice immediately. or tried to. As she reached Fenice's side they both saw her. Adelaide had returned on the arm of a wretched French knight who leered at her large breasts constantly.

Adelaide purred her name smiling at Fenice. "Why Princess Fenice how good to see you. You look lovely." She had her usual tight dress with a low neckline her massive breasts so tightly packed they were threatening to spring free of her clothing. She caught many eyes though Ne'ebo quite clearly closed his eyes as he put his face down at the puppies in his lap rubbing their bellies.

Fenice shivered as Ne’ebo’s hot breath spilled over her neck and collar. Closing her eyes to gather her wits she nodded before sitting upright. Her fingers settled in Etua’s fur as the man approached. The growls of all three of her ‘children’ caused pride to well up from the pit of her stomach. Though soon her jaw went slack, the audacity of the man. Red covered her face, knowing quite well the peak of cleavage that was shown was not at all that enticing. “So is your tongue, you snake! Shall I carve it from your mouth?” The words were hissed out before she could stop them. Mathilde snorted behind her watching the male get over the shock of the princess setting him in his rightful place.

Her hand slid under the table, with the ruse of stroking Nis and Xar. Though it settled in his momentarily before stroking over the soft ears and receiving ‘kisses’ from each. Coldly her green eyes glared at the male before smiling as another knight approached the table. Each male had to be greeted and perceived as suitor would have been. Although she didn’t allow them to touch her, fear one would bring harm by some potion or something. All gifts were checked over thoroughly by each knight before being shown to the royals.

Glee filled her at the thought of only Ne’ebo being allowed to maintain his residence within the castle walls. She knew now of his penchant to change rooms sporadically. Something he assured her would only be until they were married. Then and only then would he remain in one room and in one bed with one woman, her. She had no doubt that she would belong to him by this tournaments end, however the males made it known that they aimed to have her. Some in less than pleasing ways. She was appalled by how some carried themselves, though some of the females that arrived were no better.

She knew of the rules of the tournament and laughed when Ne’ebo was banned from making any challenges. Fenice was not at all surprised by the sheer number of challenges that were stacked up against him. Though some lesser men were challenging the smaller ones, trying to get them out of the way and not wearing themselves out. Friends were becoming enemies because of this tournament but some saw it as a platform for which to spring into a noble’s daughters lap or arms. A thought that made Fenice sneer, it wasn’t that she wanted their attention –NO- it was the thought of someone coming and fighting for her with ill-intentions and un-pure agendas.

She had a heart for those meek men that truthfully came here for her. Certainly they knew they would not win but that didn’t mean that they wouldn’t try their damnedest to go one round further. The man in front of her was rotund, but sweet. He spilled kind words and quoted sonnets he’d memorized about fair England’s rose, words written for her mother but still special. “Thank you…” her eyes turned to glide up to Mathilde whose hand lay on her shoulder when she saw her. Something within her snapped and she steeled her gaze. “I apologize sir but I am needed elsewhere.” She stood her chair scraping the grain of the platform on which they sat. The man ran off, it was probably best.

“Your kind is not welcome here,” She handed Etua to Mathilde and reached for her sword beneath the table. Elias stopped her.

“Tell me Thismal, how is your uncle doing these days?” His words cutting to the quick, far better than his hotheaded daughter’s sword could. He gave her a nod, letting her know she could speak now, but only words on an intelligent and less screaming manner.

“I would say how good it is to see you as well Adelaide but it seems you already know, what with your bosoms flopping about as they are. It appears I am not the only one that wishes to know the secret to your youthfulness, being that you are well past your prime. It’s a shame really that you have to stoop to such a level that would put innocent women in danger of Sir Hargik’s wrath. From what I heard he’d have much rather spent his time on a roof then down amongst your… kind.”

Mathilde stood behind her biting her tongue nearly off when they were approached about an attack on the guards. “Milord… Milady... Ne’ebo….” Her well-worn face grew sad as the lady stormed off, Fenice having made a mockery of her. She whispered about what had happened and they rushed off. While Ne’ebo worked hard to calm Trala she sat with her mother. The woman was on the verge of delivering and the added stress of a bed ridden husband was no thrill. At least living in the castle had its perks and a maid was able to help her out around their small quarters.

The pups played with Ne’ebo and Trala, easing her mind and bringing about a laugh or two. Word spread quickly about the fire and the illness. Fenice knew that Mathilde served her food directly to her but who could stop someone from contaminating something the others were getting when it sat about in a buffet. Plans were being made to change things but it wasn’t looking too good for the kitchen.

By the time dinner rolled around Fenice was exhausted. So much so that she had retired to her room with the pups. Orders were given that the only ones allowed to disturb her would be Ne’ebo, Mathilde, Elias and the Archbishop. She’d been bathed and now sat in a chair by the fire reading wrapped in a robe and several blankets. In reality she was nodding off but that was to be expected when she’d spent the entire afternoon seeing to keep and active girl, Trala, and a few pups busy in the library.

Ne'ebo had rather enjoyed listening to Fenice chew out the foul persons, especially Thismal. He did not know why the little fool had returned and like Elias he was pissed about ti but unlike most there he was sure that eventually Fenice would kill her.

After some good time with the pups and Trala and once they were sure that Aaron was safe, Ne'ebo had sent the pups with their mom and had taken Trala to bed tucking her in assuring her that he would not let her daddy die as he kissed her forehead.

As he had walked along the castle halls afterwards he heard the wild partying going on out in the city. He looked out a window leaning on it watching the men who had come to the tournament. He already had a list of the men that he would not have to destroy who were genuinely looking to earn the hand of his beloved without wicked intentions. He had no intentions of making friends or being especially nice to anyone but he would not do harm to these special few. His targets were the majority of the knights who were here to cause trouble. He understood that the prize, Fenice, was beyond priceless, especially to him, but he would let none of them have her. "Welcome to Camelot lads. But you are not going to find what you want. She is mine. And Mine alone."

After watching the city for a time Ne'ebo went up to Fenice's room and inside Mathilde not saying anything. he smiled at the sleeping pile of puppies, all of them having dogpiled on time of Pek,and went to the chair. he had seen Fenice in it a few times and though he was not happy about it he did not speak to her about it. Now he leaned down kissing her neck. "Are things alright my love?"

She sipped at the tea given her by Mathilde, but even it could not ease her into sleep. Fenice knew he’d come so she held sleep at bay. The four children were tucked into her bed; they were getting too big for their basket and disliked sharing. She imagined their room with four huge baskets in it for them. Or perhaps two large floor mats for each breed. She knew Ne’ebo intended to breed them, Trala calling dibs on the first pup from a litter between Pek and Etua. A girl after her own heart was fond of the beautiful pups. She looked at Nis and Xar as being Ne’ebo’s since they rather enjoyed using their power while the other grace and rather sharp tongues.

The press of warm lips to her neck brought her head up from a slight bob. Wide sleepy smile playing on her pink lips, “My heart…” she sighed. “Things are as well as can be expected. I am tired but I needed to see you before sleep.” The stuff of the day ran through her head. From Aaron’s injury, Mathilde’s robbery attempt, the fire in the halls, Sir Bruce, lady Thismal, and the poisonings. Silently she wondered why Thismal and Bruce couldn’t have been poisoned.

She didn’t know of his knowledge about the chair, or that Mathilde had slyly mentioned it in passing. Soft whimpers came from the bed as Xar had a dream, little legs moving as she dreamt of playing or training, Fenice wasn’t sure. Her attention moved back to Ne’ebo, her hand moving over his face tenderly. “I am glad you do not worry about the attacks and the craziness of them. You worry for me and that is enough.” She rose and pressed herself into his arms, if only he could stay, if only…

Mathilde busied herself with taking the tea tray and food dishes from the room, Fenice had picked at the meal anyway. The pups were given the meat as a treat. Smiling softly at the scene of them back lit by the glowing fire she left the room giving them their privacy.

“Can you stay with us tonight, or do you have to go?” She whispered silently looking over at the snoozing pups. They were included in this moment whether they wanted to be or not. “One last night… until we’re married.” She smiled up at him brightly. Fenice knew deep down he’d leave and she’d end up in the chair again, Etua or Pek would make their way to her and they would sleep together curled in the chair, both missing him. It was how it had to be and not the way either of them wanted it. However if he said yes it would be a pleasant treat.

Ne'ebo cupped her face and kissed her. "None of that my love." he lead her to the bed and nudged the pups awake pulling her down on his chest kissing her again. "i think we can sneak one night without anyone bothering us. Mathilde has the door. I am going to find out who tried to frame her and beat their brains in."

The pups all crawled up to lay on his chest and neck so they could snuggle with both. "Our babies seem to be rather happy to have us both." The pups were already fast asleep.

He stroked her hair neck and back smiling up at her his eyes glowing his boots having come off. He did not peel off his shirt this time so he would not tempt his beloved and even worse keep her awake. "It's been a long day my love. i suggest you sleep for the ceremony tomorrow." Tomorrow would be a ceremonial ride of the knights around Camelot which the royals had to attend.

Stifling a yawn she leaned up pressing her lips to his tenderly. Tears pricked her eyes before his soft words hit her. She knew he didn’t want to see her tears, but it wasn’t as though she could stop the build of emotion when it came to him. She slid her hand into his and moved with him to the bed. The pups whined but jumped from the bed to allow their master and mistress access.

Her body was pulled onto his chest and she snuggled down against him as he kissed her, his hands moving over her back. “Me too,” she sighed. She laughed softly, eyes fluttering closed. She felt the wet noses of the pups as they settled, Nis flopping down across the lower part of her back so that Ne’ebo’s hand could pet him as he pet their mistress. At least that is what Fenice thought as she drifted off to sleep.

“Yes, we all are…” She sighed as her body stilled and she drifted off. Fenice didn’t even hear him suggest her sleep, she was already lost. The next day would be Elias and her riding through the kingdom before stopping at the dais at the lists where the knights would continue to parade through the kingdom. Her mare would not be happy to be separated from her lover but she imagined that her own lover would be right behind her, pleasing them both.

--
As suspected Mayonaka was in line behind Gala and her father’s own impressive horse Thelon. Her dress was a light pink color; the white cloak she wore offset the loveliness of the washed mare. Gala spent more time rubbing her muzzle against Ne’ebo’s steed than she did gaining treats from Fenice’s hand. The pups howled from the stall where they were being kept, fear that they would be in the way of the horses.

Groomed and braided Gala stood at the ready as Ne’ebo helped Fenice into the side saddle. A basket was strapped next to her and two of the pups were placed with her, Xar and Etua. It was only right that the girls stick together. A light snow fell from the heavy clouds as the group began their procession.

The people of Camelot stood in the streets waiting for the ceremonial ride. Each knight was decked out in their finest armor upon their mounts. Some men didn’t have their own horses and so they rode in wagons together pulled by some of the kingdoms finest cart horses. It was a pleasant day for a ride.

Fenice waved at all of the people and smiled, she’d had the best night of sleep in Ne’ebo’s arms. Even though it would be a while before it happened again. Sighing she stroked the pups in the basket at her side as they peered curiously out at the world. Xar barked back to Ne’ebo in what sounded like a greeting. Fenice blew him a soft kiss.

Ne'ebo caught her kiss ad pressed it to his heart his hand checking the basket where Nis and Pek sat looking up at him. He also had slept perfectly in her arms and he regretted it would not happen again for some time.

He waited for the beginning of the ride and when Elias come out and mounted Thelon Ne'ebo smiled at his King his eyes glowing but he also made a few signs that he had shown both royals. These signs made it clear he felt sure they were threatened and in danger But the royals could have no guard but Ne'ebo also assured them both that the would protect them both.

As they rode along Ne'ebo waved and smiled at everyone but his eyes were searching everything and everyone. He had taken command of Aaron's guards and had them circulating amongst the crowd searching for enemies and awaiting a sign from Ne'ebo. As the ride neared the dais Ne'ebo spotted a flash of steel and made another sign toward them and silently the would be assassin was taken away. It was not one of the High Priest's selected killers but it was one of his followers.

After Ne'ebo escorted his King and Princess to the dais he excused himself and went to speak to the would be killer. This one had not lost his tongue and when Ne'ebo came in the person began to struggle. "Why Lord Edward Winter...excuse me former Lord Edward Winter. Why have you attempted at the life my King and Princess?" Winter began to babble but Ne'ebo gripped his jaw. "Little man I will give you one chance. Explain what you have done and why?"

Edward Winter was far from a brave man. He gazed up into Ne'ebo's eyes and within them he saw something he had never expected. He did not know the identity of the High Priest of the Followers of Beezelbub and could not give it but he knew the evil and power in the man's eyes but he had never seen anything more dangerous or fatal than Ne'ebo's. His very soul quailed under the gaze of a man protecting those he loved. He gulped and began to spill what little he knew.

After his dismissal he had gone home. He was approached that very evening and seeing a chance at renewed power he had joined the cult and allowed them to take control of him. He had come at the High Priest's order, as had all the cult. He admitted to the group of assassin's selected to kill the royals the Archbishop and Ne'ebo but also warned him that the rest of the cult had come and would give their lives to kill their targets. Something int he admission struck Winter and he suddenly lashed out with his teeth at Ne'ebo's face but Ne'ebo reacted with his impossible speed and struck the man in the face with a single blow that broke the man's neck and crushed in his face killing him instantly. Ne'ebo sighed. "bury him with full honors as a former nobleman. He did in an accident. Make sure his family retains his wealth and are well cared for." The lieutenant of the guard nodded and started the work while Ne'ebio returned to Fenice's side not telling her anything but making a sign that he had handled the situation and would tell her and Elias what happened later.

He studied the area around them while the knights rode about. he was grateful that as the General he did not have to ride all day. He smiled down at the four pups who lay by Fenice's feet ignoring the horses. Mathilde stood behind her Mistress watching the knights and awaiting any orders and she smiled when Ne'ebo nodded to her. She had thanked him most gratefully before the ride for rescuing her from the frame up. Ne'ebo had seen the silver vanish but not who had taken it as they had hidden amongst the crowd and unknown to him the High Priest had conned a page, who was being punished, into planting the silver on Mathilde. Ne'ebo had seen and caught the page and cleared Mathilde's name but was still worried about who would use such a technique.

Biting her lip she turned her attention back to the road ahead of her. One hand on the reins guiding Gala, not that she needed it, and the other lifted waving to her people. Security was never something her father or Ne’ebo spoke of in her presence. She figured they feared upsetting her; she would not have become upset and instead bargained to carry her bow. Of course, she knew her father would not allow such a thing.

Turning slightly she watched as both her father and Ne’ebo watched the crowd. Sort of like watching the children volley over a blown up pig’s bladder. It made her laugh; no one would be foolish enough to try something now. This was what she thought, until it happened. Quicker than she could blink the sight away a man was grasped by the guards and carted away. She turned a wide eyed gaze to him, a moment of fear. The beast or at least that was what she saw in her mind’s eye at that very moment.

No one had to tell her where her future husband went. The ceremony had to go on and without Fenice or Elias it would have been pointless. She stayed in her seat on the dais, the men parading by. The pups played with one another, Trala or spent their time growling as the men went by. Fenice wished she could have done the same but the smile she wore stayed plastered on her face. Mathilde brought her tea and she sipped while her head bobbed at the men. It wasn’t until Ne’ebo returned that she fully relaxed. Several guards stood at the lowest edge of the dais and a few behind them on mounts, just to keep the peace.

It wasn’t until Fenice focused on the uproarious clapping and cheering did she sense the presence. The man that approached the dais was none other than the French knight that Thismal had accompanied the day before. Fenice watched with shock as the man rode close to the stands, Thismal stood and pulled a handkerchief from between her bosoms and kissed it with a loud smacking sound, the action leaving a red stained ring before she passed it to the man. Her stomach wretched as the man lifted it to her nose causing her to squeal in laughter. If this man was here for her hand, why was his attention on her? Fenice made a face to Mathilde who laughed.

--

Thismal glanced at the perky little princess, her strong and fascinating knight stood at her side in all his dark glory. A tremor ran through her body at the thought of him between her thighs that very night. What did the flat little girl have, that she a full-grown woman did not. Turning her nose up at them she watched the ceremony allowing her eyes to trail over the men here to fight for the princess, some she’d had and some she planned TO have before the tournament was over. Some of the losers of this event were juicy tidbits. Something she couldn’t pass up. Arousal tainted the air as she licked her lips.

--

Fenice watched the men parade by, bored. Playing a little game with herself she took tally of the men Ne’ebo would destroy if they were brave enough to challenge him. Of course he could and would destroy them all, for her. Biting her lip she spared a glance up at him, he gave her a smile before his attention was stolen again. His eyes scanning the crowd searching for an enemy he could not see but knew was there. Be it intuition or the word from the man they retrieved, she didn’t know. Sir Bruce passed staring at her as though he was undressing her with his eyes, heat crept up her face and she squirmed uncomfortably in her chair.

Finally just before nightfall each man had paraded past Fenice with relief stood, her fingers splayed on Ne’ebo’s arm as he guided her up and down. The voice that greeted her ears was none other than Thismal.

“Its sad princess, Sir Bruce is a wonderful lover… I saw how he made you squirm. Is it perhaps because your own lover is inadequate in one department or another?” Adelaide smirked at Ne’ebo, judging from what she’d seen in the ring he was blessed. Her eyes flitted to Fenice, cruelty in her eyes. “Or perhaps it is you… that you are not enough to serve a real man. Remember what you saw and what was offered Sir Ne’eb… ACK!”

Fenice wanted to reach out and slap the woman as she insulted Ne’ebo and accused him of being inadequate. She didn’t know and she didn’t care. The cruelty in her eyes as she stared at her caused the hair on her neck to rise. What happened next was a mixture of happy accident and instinct.

All four puppies attacked the woman’s legs, Fenice was sure it didn’t hurt her too bad. “Oh dear…” Was all she could say before calling the pups off. “I’ve been more than cordial and not wanting to ruin your reputation, though it seems you’ve done a fine job of that yourself. Perhaps now you will heed my warning and leave.” Fenice felt the grip of a sword pressed into her palm; she knew Mathilde had retrieved one from a guard since it felt different from her own blade. Stepping away from Ne’ebo she drew the sword in front of her and whirled slapping the broadside of it to the woman’s rump.

Thismal fell into the muddy snow and shrieked before scrambling to her feet only to fall again with a little help from Fenice’s foot. Her eyes glared as the princess circled. “You’re jealous of me… jealous that men adore my body and only look at you like an underdeveloped adolescent!” she scraped the mud off of her face and neck as she screamed the words out.

“Jealous of you?” Fenice laughed. “Why would I be jealous of you? If I wanted attention I could get it… with far less skin showing… and that is what makes you angry. I have the power of my people and you have nothing. The attention of the one man you want, but you can’t have. The only man whose affection matters because he gives it to me... and NOT you.” Fenice watched as she sat in stunned silence.

Elias spoke up, Fenice had had her fun. “Guards take this woman to the dungeons; she was banned and warned not to return. Show her Camelot treats unwanted guests.”

“NO… give her a sword. If she defeats me I lift the ban, if I defeat her it’s her death.” Fenice’s eyes burn with hatred.

Ne'ebo had seen no other threat all day until Thismal had decided to taunt Fenice and yet again Ne'ebo seemed unaware of what she did and said watching the pups and Fenice as the Princess handled things. he heard every word Fenice said but the way he reacted to Thismal's voice was as if it were the chattering of a wild beast.

When Fenice called the pups off he scooped them into his arm and held them as he watched Fenice then arched and eyebrow as Mathilde presented Fenice with a sword. As Fenice made her pronouncement Ne'ebo handed the pups to Mathilde placing them in a basket as Ne'ebo stepped forward. "My love you must not use a real blade. It is not royal for you to do so. here." He placed one of his practice swords, which he had made her train on for weeks, in her hands.

At a nod from Ne'ebo one of the guards handed Thismal another practice sword. Ne'ebo moved to Elias. "Let her handle this my lord. She has every right to handle it this way." Elias sighed and nodded and cleared the dais.

Ne'ebo stood with his back to Thismal waiting until the dais was ready then he cupped Fenice's face. "handle it as you wish my love. but don't kill her unless you have no choice. She has disrespected you in public and though you have had a measure of revenge you are royal. She is not."

He kissed her again. "Remember to keep your guard up and that the edge and tip are not the only parts of the weapon. Good luck my darling." With that he collected the basket the pups waited in. "All five of us believe in you completely." The pups barked their tails wagging as they watched her then he stepped off the dais watching her.

___

Thismal stood watching all of it in shock. They were making her fight?! She was no fighter..but she had no choice. the royals had commanded it and nothing short of an immediate death from an act of God would save her. She looked to her knight who stood looking on helplessly.

*&*

The High [Priest was also watching very impressed by the fire in Fenice and amazed that she was willing to risk herself this way. He stood in the crowd around the dais across from Elias and Ne'ebo annoyed at how carefully Ne'ebo kept an eye on the pups. He waited for the fight to begin silently as did all the others.

Fenice eyed the dull blade he handed her, she wished he’d have just stayed out of it and let her have her fun. However, to lash out at him in anger would not be good for her. So she reached out her hand and traded him blades. Testing the blade for its speed and ease of movement in her hand she eyed the female who held the blade in her hands weakly.

Thismal stared at the blade and then at the female in front of her. She blinked and glared down at the mud soaked dress. Even if Thismal knew what to do the dress easily weighed her down. Smiling deviously she shoved the tip into the ground and stripped from her dress tossing it aside. She stood there in her pantaloons, stockings, camisole and corset, bosoms overflowing even this bit of clothing but the garment and flesh was mud covered. She climbed up on the dais.

“You think I don’t know this?” she whispered back to him, her voice hissing. Did he not hear the mockery she’d made of both of them? How was it that he was not angry? His fingers felt nice against her skin but she was angry and didn’t want to give in to his touch, not now. If she had yet to show her stubborn side everyone was seeing it now. Her lips went up to his, her hand curling along his neck before releasing him.

Green eyes rolled at the sight before her. The female was beyond ridiculous. Fenice smiled to Mathilde and nodded. The female moved forward and pinned the skirt of her dress up to ease her movement. Once finished she step to the woman sword drawn. It would be too easy, she wanted a challenge. “I want to win in a true fashion so I will not strike save to block your strikes.”

Thismal sneered, no intent of losing. She ran at Fenice sword wobbling in the air, she swung the sword through the air aiming at her side when the princess lifted her foot and kicked the sword away and brought the dull blade against her neck. Thismal flinched and fell to the ground sobbing, having no clue the blades edge would not cut her mud crusted skin.

“Get your sword Thismal.” Fenice changed her position and before the woman could grasp the sword her hand was struck. Fenice wasted no time climbing upon the older woman as the sword slid off the dais and landed on the ground. A smooth hand landed on the woman’s cheek. “You’ve disrespected me.” Smack. “You’ve disrespected Sir Hargik.” Smack. “You’ve disrespected my kingdom.” Smack. “And you’ve brought disgrace to my people.”

Thismal screamed and kicked, when the rain of smacks ended, along with the words she used her weight to shove the princess off her and onto the worn planks of the dais next to her before scrambling to land on the winded female. Hands, befitting of a man, wrapped around the thin neck of Fenice. “And you have disrespected me, my family and are not fit to rule a kingdom as pathetic as Camelot!” she hissed into the blue turning face.

Fenice did not panic and did not struggle. At her hip she grasped a tethered dagger; the woman on top of her leaned forward to talk. Barely listening to the words she concentrated on untying the dagger. Once it was free she gasped, “For Camelot,” her bleary eyes did not allow her aim to be off.

The brows of Thismal furrowed before she felt it. The dagger blade plunging into her breast and toward her heart as a blood curdling scream fell from her lips. Her hands released the thin throat and grasped at her breast.

Fenice gulped at the air as the woman rose. Towering and swaying above her. Rolling out of the way she scrambled to her feet and stood before the woman, collapsed and crawling. “I can finish you off by plunging the dagger further forward or you can relax and allow the medics to work on you. Your death would bring me no pleasure and is a waste of my time…” It was too late though, in her panic to get away she’d crawled off the dais and fallen shoving the blade further in.

Fenice looked down at the stilled body of the woman, hand outstretched toward the French knight. “What has happened today is tragic and could have been stopped if this woman had heeded the banning for which she was under. I will not allow MYSELF or MY people to shed a tear for the unruly. I am truly sorry that a life was shed, even if it was not a worthy life.” She sighed and moved to Ne’ebo, “Have the guards wrap her body and deliver her to her parents’ home, make sure my dagger is returned to me.”

Ne'ebo waited until the body was taken away having checked on it and taken the dagger himself cleaning the blood off and oiling it as the castle exploded in uproar and Mathilde lead Fenice to her rooms to get cleaned up taking the pups with her. Ne'ebo went to her rooms knocking on the door and was allowed inside by Mathilde.

He went to Fenice and knelt before her. "You handled that quite well my Princess. I beg your forgiveness for my interference." He bowed his head not looking at her laying the dagger before her. Mathilde's eyes widened. Ne'ebo had explained to her that this pose and act was a sign of deepest respect and and a sign of fealty. Ne'ebo had already sworn himself to Fenice but this act was much more personal for him. He waited for Fenice's reaction his hair hanging over his face letting her decide how she would handle the situation.

*&*

The High Priest stared at Thismal's body in shock. He hated him but he knew that Ne'ebo was an exceptional deadly fighter but he had not expect this from Fenice. She was only a woman...but her swordplay had been so skillful that she had literally destroyed Thismal her arm and hand shattered, her face still red from the slaps. He stared as it came by then looked up at Fenice his eyes wide. When she was lead away by her maid he snarled and stalked away with the others considering what more he could do. He had not planned on using Thismal but she had seemed to be an important weapon but Fenice had proven superior. He sipped his drink and sighed thinking of what more he could do while the French knight who had come with Thismal sobbed into his cups.

~$~

Bruce had watched the battle in shock. He had no kind opinion of Ne'ebo but he rather liked Fenice and had slept with Thismal many times but now the woman had been killed by this stripling Princess who he knew had been trained by her father. Still he was sure Ne'ebo could not possibly match his own mastery with all things knightly. He sneered and wandered off to find some comely wench to warm his bed.

Elias and Mathilde clenched hands watching “their” girl fight for her life. They wanted to step up, to pull the wench off by her hair but a look from Ne’ebo sent them back the step or two they’d inched forward together. When it was over they sighed, she was as wise as she was strong and beautiful. Of course they both knew it but they forgot until they saw it in action. The death wasn’t wanted or needed, but Fenice didn’t take the life. Adelaide didn’t listen, too hardheaded to see the out that she’d offered. Mathilde gasped as the woman fell. With her head buried into Elias’ shoulder she let out the emotion gently.

Fenice was numb; she stood at Ne’ebo’s side until the body was taken away. Mathilde taking the basket of pups and guiding her away. She had no tears for the dead, that woman was warned and didn’t deserve her tears. Yet she felt them welling and threatening to spill over in her daze. She blinked and a few spilled over her cheeks as Mathilde helped her out of her dress and into the tub full of hot water. “You have nothing to fear and should be proud of yourself. You showed restraint and could have killed her long before that.”

Fenice remained quiet and only eyes Mathilde. Her tears weren’t for the wretched woman. She’d shown restraint, her life was on the line and she took that chance. She should have reacted and slashed the bitch’s throat. Eyes widening, where had that come from? After a few more moments of soaking in the water Mathilde helped her wash then dress.

Green dress in place and blankets to ward off the chill as Mathilde got the fire stoked and called in a maid to gather a tray from the kitchen. She expected a crowd for dinner in this room. The knock wasn’t a surprise, nor was the man concealed on the other side. She stepped to the side and watched them.

Fenice stared into the fire until it was blocked by the bulk of Ne’ebo. Her eyes flitted over him before giving him a soft smile. Her hand lifted and lifted his chin, stroking his face she took the dagger and sat it on the side table. She leaned forward, her face inches from his. “You are forgiven, though there is nothing to forgive really. I was on an adrenaline high and … Ne’ebo it was exhilarating. I wish I had taken her life and not allowed her that choice.” She dipped her head and closed the gap as she rose guiding him up as well.

Mathilde was quick to respond remembering the last time Fenice faced lady Thismal. The slamming of the door and the questions that rose after. Clearing her throat she called out, “Food’s here…”

Fenice pulled back slowly, eyes glaring at the maid. Her eyes darted up to Ne’ebo; it was on the tip of her tongue to ask him to stay with her. But she fought the urge back, tomorrow was the first day of the tournament, he’d need to be well rested and she doubted he could do that with her on top of him. Closing her eyes she pressed a soft kiss to his cheek, “Let’s go eat.”

The door burst open with Elias and the Archbishop coming in together. “My dear, the kingdom is in a tizzy. They are not upset; instead they are behind you in support. The ones that aren’t are being tossed by our people out of the kingdom.” Elias grabbed her into a hug.

The archbishop stood by, he’d known the reaction of the family was not good. Surely the information of the death had reached their ears. The former lord was brought to his knees in the doorway of his sister’s home over the news. He stood silently by, not raising his concerns. Not yet. “My child, what happened is not your fault…” Silently he added the word, entirely.

Ne'ebo kissed Fenice tenderly stroking her face and neck not jumping when Mathilde came in with food. Her forgiveness had relieved him greatly and now he was ready to relax. He was just starting to eat when Elias and the Archbishop came in.

He was thrilled to learn that the kingdom was wholly behind their future ruler and he smiled at the thought though he remained quiet as he ate. He had told no one but he had sent orders to Thismal's family, a certain knight there. He was to watch them and if there was any sign of a threat of any kind to Fenice or the others they would all be killed. This Ne'ebo did with no feeling far too much like the politics in Japan for him to find any difficulty or objection with them. He did not hide the orders feeling no shame about them but did not tell the others as now was not the time.

~$~

Bruce had indeed discovered a wench for his bed and now as she lay unconscious in his bed well paid and well sated, he stood at the window of his room watching the castle his eyes searching in vain for Fenice. He would have her. Even if he had to kill the African to get her.

*&*

The High Priest gathered a select few of his followers in the basement if a tavern whose owner had been well paid to stay out of the way and thus saw nothing.
"We have a new threat. This African is a skillful opponent. He hides his skills well. The Princess on the other hand has exhibited herself. She is dangerous and skilled. We must not underestimate her again."
The cult began to discuss plans and ideas for the overcoming of the royals, the religious, and the African.

^%^

The French knight was drunk. Insanely drunk. He was singing some bawdy song in his native tongue when he spilled his ale on a group of off duty body guards of the various visitors. The resulting brawl was legendary. Chairs were thrown. Tables crushed. Windows shattered. Mugs cracked. And more bones were broken or splintered, and more blood shed than anyone thought possible. The French knight, a Monsieur Le Botzer, was an exceptional knight and he quite enjoyed fighting. Finally he was dragged away by several fellow knights and locked into his room to sleep off the drunk which he finally settled down to do.

____

Ne'ebo finished eating quickly and passed a note informing Fenice of the orders he had given as he kissed her goodnight said "I love you Fenice." then he went out to investigate some disturbances having heard the guards moving about outside. He sent his guards out to examine the city and put down any rabble rousing while Ne'ebo himself went to his room and changed into a outfit no one had seen him in. It was a single simple robe that included shoes that did little more than lightly cover his feet. He was not a ninja but he had received that training as well and he prepared himself then went out into the city to investigate for himself.

Ne'ebo was an excellent student learning anything he studied quickly and always found away to study the fighting styles of every land he was in. He knew the arts of Asia, Europe and Africa, and had already master the arts of Britain and this was what had allowed him to form his own highly effective style of combat both armed and unarmed. which he was sharing in full only with Fenice.

Now as he flitted from rooftop to rooftop he spotted the people he had most been searching for. After Winter's confession Ne'ebo had been planning to search for these people and though Winter had not been sure exactly how many people their had been assigned to assassinate him and his new family, but Ne'ebo was pleased to find at least these four. He had weapons from every style he knew but he had only shown his samurai weapons so far. He followed the assassin's drawing both of his ninjato and waiting until they were int he perfect ambush spot. He had ordered his men away from this area having sensed it would prove fruitful and now they would be out of his way and out of danger.

When they came to an old secret entrance to the castle that Ne'ebo had learned about in his walks and had sealed he grinned and waited until they trapped themselves within before he attacked. He decapitated two then gutted the third before he could react and then pinned the fourth to the wall with both swords and shoved a block of wood in the creatures mouth so it could not bite or swallow anything as he tied it's hands.

The creature moaned glaring at Ne'ebo with hate but Ne'ebo just smiled. "Are there more of you?"
The creature snarled then shrieked as Ne'ebo kicked the creature in the left knee breaking the bone to splinters.
"Are there more?"
It nodded.
"How many?"
It shook it's head and Ne'ebo kicked the other knee.
It shrieked again but nodded and wiggled it's fingers to reveal at least fourteen more.
"There are fourteen more?"
It nodded sobbing.

The creature had been born deformed and had been pampered by y it's leader though it had been trained to kill but only to kill. In bred for centuries and existing on a diet designed to make these creatures obedient and strong it had never known pain like that this dark man could unless so easily. It looked up at Ne'ebo in true fear.

Ne'ebo had been raised and fed to be strong but had known pain. immense pain that should have shattered his mind but he had endured. Now he watched this creature that had come to threaten his loved ones, especially his Fenice and instead of hate or a desire for vengeance there was only cold death in his eyes. He would do anything and evreything to protect Fenice, Elias, Mathilde, the archbishop and the others, even the pups. And this more than anything was what had the creature shaking in fear and wetting itself it's tongueless mouth still sending out whimpers and other fear sounds.

"Are the others going to attack tonight?"
It shook it's head.
"Are you sure?"
It nodded whimpering.
"Can you tell me who your master is?"
It shook it's head whimpering louder in terror.
"That's too bad then. I can't let you live. But I'll make it quick."
The creature shuddered but nodded as Ne'ebo gripped it's head and snapped it around breaking the spine killing it instantly.

He burned all four bodies then returned tot he castle searching it carefully before going to behind his General's rooms for the first time in reality though officially he slept there every night. He checked the room carefully,washed, then went to sleep to dream of Fenice and their children who played with the dogs and their puppies.

Back
Top Bottom