Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Canticle of Hope) Ch. 5: Closer to Home (NSFW)

Emi entered the house and removed her shoes and placed them at the entrance to the domicile and waved to Ryoko "Hello Ryoko good to see you again." She smiled and gave Naela just enough time to remove and stow her shoes and then draped her arm around her neck and pulled her close and playfully ruffled her hair. " This is my dear Naela my childhood friend and newest to the Muses among us!" she smiled widely clearly both proud and excited to have some one she has known for so long and trusted at her side.

Kye exited the councillor's office about ten minutes until school was out. She had been told not to worry about going back to class, her teacher would be notified, and that she should just get ready to head home today. Kye looked about nervously, then checked her phone for the time. She walked to her locker, reviewing the time, then waited. Just standing in front of her locker. When the allotted time for class passed, and the classes let out, she let out a sigh of comfort and opened her locker. Her schedule was back. She stopped marking time and began to resume her life. Storing the book she wouldn't need tonight and filling her pac with what she would need for homework and her music. She had jotted down a beautiful stanza of music, it just needed accompaniment and she needed to talk with the dancers to choreograph.

Isabella was holding her normal stud-y group, she giggled, glad no actual guys showed up. They might get up to friskiness tonight, unless the squirrels needed them. Nuts! The thought made her giggle again. Squirrel! She looked to the side in a little inside joke about how she was so easily distracted. People were in the hallways again, and she saw the underclassman with the improper sash. "Oh, excuse me, excuse me! Your sash, according to policy you need to rotate it a quarter turn, the knot goes down here." The student was shocked by the sudden and effusive assault, but it was over so soon, that nothing could come of it. And Kye was be-bopping off to the beat of her own drum. The world was right again.

Kye burst barefoot into Isabella's loud and in song, her own bit from earlier, she was working her way through the accompaniment in her head, though she sang it out for the benefit of hearing it. She laid a woven bag with several little bottled coffees, some novelty she crossed as she meandered between school and their meeting. It was difficult to say whether Kye had been home yet, though her top was different.

When her voice didn't quite make the mark, she whipped the ever present violin to her cheek and serenaded the assemblage for her own experience. Even when not working the violin voice, she could normally review how it worked together. Her audio recordings would allow her to transpose these actions to sheet music tonight or tomorrow, or next week. She only cleared them after they were transposed.

Hitomi was out of sorts.

She had been for most of the day, really, ever since her confrontation with Naomi in the classroom. The kitsune didn’t like to lose, and the way things had played out? She considered that a loss. Naomi’s condescending eyeroll and her smug little grin had been stuck in Hitomi’s mind all day. She’d barely paid attention to most of her classes, had hardly gotten any reading done over lunch - every little distraction had bothered her too much - and she’d spent the whole walk back from the school quietly brooding (although, to be fair, quietly thinking about something wasn’t too unusual for her).

Of course, her bad mood was no reason to be rude. Once they were inside, Hitomi set her satchel down on one of Isabella’s couches, and then turned to bow to the newcomer.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Jin Hitomi, a third year," she introduced herself. Her words were polite, but her thoughts were still lingering back in the classroom. "I’m in the same class as Kobiashi-san…”

Hitomi glanced over to Kye to indicate who she meant, to find the catgirl singing and working her violin. A soft smile crept onto Hitomi's face, as a weight she hadn't realised she was carrying was suddenly lifted. Kye was doing just fine - better than fine, in fact, from the way she played. Hitomi couldn't help but be cheered by the sight. The kitsune pushed her glasses back up her nose as she looked back to Naela, something about her manner noticeably softer.

“I take it Eurydice or Orpheus-sensei asked you to meet with us, Naela-san? Have they told you much about what's going on?”

Last edited:
Isabella was glad to see her friends coming to her home. lately this as started to become her hideout and since her parents are working a lot an not often home or they come very late in the night, they were glad that she wasn't as much alone anymore.

Her parents were well aware that she was developing feelings for one of her friend but they didn't mind about yet. In their mind, she was still young and she was experimenting like any young girl should do. There still time for her to change her mind and even if she was a lesbian. they would love her anyway and they would accept her choice.

Isabella kiss Ryoko as her girlfriend was getting very accustom to the place. She then move to greet the new comer "Welcome to my humble home, all of my friend friends are my friend as well." She then move and hold Kye kissing her gently on the cheek "Glad that you came big sis. missed you today, is everything alright ? you seem space out lately".

Kye felt the touch, but finished out the stanza weaving from the bow and violin, it needed conclusion, it needed finishing. "The movement needs a denoument. You know? Every piece has an ending, one never starts with the most powerful piece, you build and hint and flirt at it. Then you showcase it, before closing for everyone's comfort." She rocks her tension more obvious now that her distraction, or perhaps her escape was stolen by interruption. "Dress code says the sash is to be worn like so, and so it is, but when it is n-n-not it is the responsibility of the upper classmen to straighten out the underclassmen. I looked for her, and looked for her-" A pause as she seems to get locked in her head for a moment, "How are you and the baby?" She didn't even offer a breath between this and her next flood of her day, a broad smile hitting everyone, "Did you know Councillor Murami is out, Councillor Evans from Florida, USA was on staff today. Her Italian is rusty, and her Japanese is weak, we talked and I explained a lot of things today. We talked all afternoon, she had so many questions, then it was almost time to go. Class wasn't over but they sent me home. But I am not supposed to go to my locker during class time, they made that clear freshmen year." She giggled then, "but the bell rang, so I could get what I needed. Oh, and the girl came down the hall, she was surprised, I guess that she was embarrassed by the fact that she had gone all day out of uniform. You know that can be so embarrassing. , and when do we kill the big green thing? Are we still going camping?" The words spilled a torrent of her world unleashed as she reaches and pets her violin or fiddles with the charm on her bracelet. Her eyes show the fear in her heart for her sisters. "I love you." She swept the room, taking them all into her heart, even the new girl. She could do no less.

White_squirrel1.jpg

Euterpe bounced to the top of a chair, then onto Kye's shoulder. She nuzzled the girl on the cheek.

Naela was about 86% into panic attack mode. She had been dreading this moment for the last couple hours now... Her heart racing. It didnt help that she couldn't follow what was going on at all.

She felt all the blood rush to her face, then all the blood in her face recede as she went pale. "Oh... Jeez... Um... Hi everyone..." She shies behind of Emi.

Hitomi had only followed a part of what Kye had said, but she had the context from the classroom to put it together. Kye wasn’t doing as fine as she’d thought, and she felt kind of awkwardly guilty for making that assumption, now. She was pretty good at bottling things up and keeping them to herself; she should’ve recognised that maybe Kye was doing the same.

The kitsune shook her head, and force herself to look up and meet Kye’s gaze. She could see the fear there, and the love; she tried to return it with her own reassuring smile, her eyes shining a little behind her glasses. “We’re here if you need us, Kye-chan,” she said. “And.. you’re right. We should talk about our plans, for our trip into the mountains to help Isabella-chan, and for dealing the mandrake devil more broadly.”

Hitomi wasn’t that good with other people. She wasn’t sure what she could do to help Kye feel better, or even if she should be doing something. She knew what helped her when something was weighing on her though: a distraction. Something to focus on. She could provide that.

(And it helped that that meant shifting the focus away from Naela, too. The newcomer was clearly even less used to groups than Hitomi; the kitsune felt a little bad about overwhelming her.)

With a sigh, Hitomi took a seat on the couch, next to her satchel. “Before that, though, we should review what we know. I was telling you all this morning about what Sensei told me; about how the Greek gods are real, about how they used to walk the earth but have now withdrawn, and about how our bracelets were given to humanity by the Muses so that we can defend ourselves against the monsters which were left behind. Isabella-chan was right, though; that still leaves a lot of questions, and a lot we don’t know. We don’t know why the mandrake devil is breeding an army, for example, or who else out there might know about magic and these creatures.”

The kitsune took a moment to smooth out her skirt and adjust her glasses, then looked across to the squirrel nuzzling Kye’s cheek. “Eurydice-san. Is there anything else you can tell us?”

Kye took comfort from the squirrel, "There you are, where have you been?" She nuzzled back, her eyes closing and her concerns melting away. The comfort she took from the mere presence of the familiar mentor was obvious. "Missed you, you have been busy." HItomi's direction into the story did get her attention, she reached for her bag, drawing forth a sheet music spiral and No 2 pencil. She sketched in Mt Olympus, high and to the corner, though something that looked like a set of ancient Greek pipes and drums, and lyre floating down to a sketch of school girls. A scattering naga, pegasus, and pair of squirrels dash away from a cage of sorts, the image of a cyclops developing next to a chimera maybe trapped within the cage? Just a rough sketch, but even the shapes were obvious. Low and to the right, away from the scene, a light question mark began to fade into view as her pencil traces the place.

"I'm sorry I haven't been around much, Kye," The white squirrel replied, nuzzling the magic girl. "I had to ask some questions for Isabella."

The white squirrel gave Kye a nuzzle. Then she hopped up onto Kye's head and perched there. Orpheus grinned and hopped up onto the table grabbing a fallen piece of rice ball to nibble.

"Let's see if i get as long winded as my better half doing this."

The black squirrel stuck out his tongue. The white grinned.

"First of all, until recently we thought the mandrake devils were all either extinct or sealed away. Recently, though, a number of perverse monsters have become active in this part of Japan. The Mandrake Devil is just the most close by. We have evidence of succubi and incubus creating thralls as well. We have yet to discover who is responsible.

"Magic has mostly been the province of secret societies for some time--especially in recent centuries. Magic requires intensive study, special blessings or a combination. It is far more useful when people dismiss it's existence.

"There have been times in history where magic has been used to empower a whole culture instead of a few individuals. This is extremely difficult. The products of modern technology do it more easily, more cheaply. Simply put, magic creates heroes, technology creates armies.

"Creatures like the ones we face--the ones who pervert the power to create life--are the exception to this. Whoever has the skill to call forth these demons could use that same power to become wealthy or enlightened, to ensure health and longevity for themselves and their family. Instead they have put that power to calling forth beings that can produce loyal thralls.

"Who ever is doing this wants an army."

Last edited:
Kye settles into the rhythm of the squirrel's cadence and her story. "Mandrake Devils, Succubi, Incubi," the correction was mumbled under her breath as she processed the coming threat. She wondered about other things, Pan's pipes were they the same as the pied piper's? The siren call, could it be placed someplace safer and enthrall the men to something more than death and the destruction of their ship? The province of secret societies, "What does your mother and father do at the arcology?" Her thoughts are still muddled, but the beginnings of a thought is growing. Magic isn't real she thought, it is fantasy or pretty lights and stories, or gravity and lunar pull. "People dismiss it or call it secret science." She froze, her head swiveling to peer out the window facing the science facility. Science just became the bad guy?

Syra awkwardly stood in the corner of the room. One of her arms wrapped tightly over her chest. Although she had been invited she still didn't feel welcome. As she listened to the tales of heroes and magic she felt a warmth flow through her. To know all the old tales of mythology might be real would send a shiver down anyone's spine.

However it infuriated that people would misuse their gifts to create such creatures as the mandrake. Not wanting to interupt the girls she contibued to listen, knowing full well one of her outbursts were immenant. As soon a a break in the conversation appeared she stepped forward, clearing her throat and hopefully getting the attention of people.

"Mandrakes, suucubus, inncubus? It doesn't matter what they call it. We've been given a gift and its far too convient to not call it fate." Gesturing around the room "the fact that we're all in this room should demonstrate that. However the people outside are not as lucky as us. They don't have magic to aid them. They don't have magic to protect themselves. They need us. So tell me little squirrel whats your plan for us to track down and annihilate whoever is causing this mess?"

She took a second to take a breath and compose herself. "Sorry I'm just a bit agitated since becoming one with melanippe and sitting in here doing nothing isnt really helping."

b2388c745a5c85df91c01c578522f402.jpg

“When the Mandrake Devil is ready to spawn,” Orpheus explained, “It looses a lot of it's mobility, and cannot uproot itself to find a new lair without leaving behind all it's immature spawn.

“Our enemy will not be not be moving around too much. Whenever it's spawn take advantage of a girl, she will have birthed a seedling before dawn. The spawn then take that seedling to the Devil to nurture and mature. If the spawn find a girl of sufficient power and purity, they will instead kidnap the girl and take her to the Mandrake. The Mandrake Devil will ravish her personally, then keep her there for several months, til a Devil-Baron is born—like the creature that attacked Isabella.

“It's a terrible creature, but understanding this tells you a key weakness. It's hiding out there, in the forests beyond civilization. Far enough to hide, but within a few hours walk. The longer it preys on us, the more worn down the trail that will lead us back to it.

“That's what we have to find—the trail to the Mandrake Devil's lair. We have to find it, and strike it in force. It can't flee us. It will have to fight.”

5432d05dfc066c96dcb63ee49dceb585.jpg

Ryoko paled at the description of the creature, alternately cold and hot. It stirred nightmares and forbidden fantasies together to an unpleasant boil.

Flexing her fingers, the red haired angel whispered, "So... We need a hunter? Someone who knows the old ways around the forest. How to read tracks and follow trails."

She swallowed hard, then added, "Or... Maybe we need bait..."

Ryoko wasn't the only one finding herself conflicted. Hitomi's cheeks had flushed a little at the mention of incubi and succubi. She couldn't help but be a little curious about what they'd be like, even though she knew, intellectually, that any encounter with one would realistically be bad news. Still, she couldn't help but imagine...

Well, at any rate, that wasn't the source of her conflict. As Ryoko made her second, whispered suggestion, Hitomi shook her head and climbed to her feet. She began to pace, biting her lip and crossing her arms under her chest as she thought things through. Orpheus' explanation had put a simple, terrible solution on the table, one which Ryoko's comment had only highlighted. The kitsune didn't like where this train of thought was taking her.

"That'd be a big risk..." she said, hesitantly. She shook her head again, and then turned back around to face the group, arms still folded. "We can't just let them take advantage of someone, but... would one of the spawn ever go back empty-handed? Maybe if we let one get away, it would go back to the Devil to recover, or to report. I've got pretty good instincts for staying out sight, so maybe, if I stayed hidden, I could follow it..."

The kitsune glanced to one side, and reached up unconsciously to press her hand against her lips. "Really, whoever's pulling the devil's strings is the bigger problem," she muttered, more to distract herself from the darker alternative to her plan than out of any real need. "I guess dealing with the devil might give us some clue as to who they are, though, and the longer it stays out there, the worse it'll get..."

Emi brow furrowed a bit as she thought " Well I don't really know much about tracking in the woods and such but if it will take a girl with considerable magic power to its master we could use someone as bait and you can the follow the creatures back to its master." she shuddered a bit and took a breath to compose herself "If we do use someone as bait, then it should be the one if and when brought to their master has had training in Escapology, So I guess I would be the best option for being the bait." she bit her lip a bit after volunteering for such a dangerous task. "Also if anyone is good at hiding things on a person ill need some help hiding lock picks and my talisman so I can transform on me in a inconspicuous manner. Cause I am afraid I am not that skilled at such things." she blushed a bit as she was embarrassed to reveal that about herself but also at the thoughts of her having to wriggle her way out of such a predicament before she was ravished got her a bit flustered. " This would also mean we would likely have to have some people put on a bit of a display of a bullying incident and leaving a poor girl tied up in the woods alone and the rest of you lying in wait during and after the deception has been completed."

"I could probably help with that," Hitomi muttered softly. Everything Emi had said made sense, but the kitsune still didn't feel good about it. She hesitated for a moment, before adding, "Also, it's hard to explain, but... as Urania, I think I could get some sense of where you are, even if we did lose track of you. Still, though..."

Hitomi looked over to Emi, a concerned frown on her face. "You know what'll happen to you if something goes wrong," she said. It wasn't a question. "It's a really dangerous plan, Emi-san. I'm... technically your senpai, you know? I'm supposed to look out for you. I feel like I shouldn't just let you take a risk like that. Not if there are safer options."

The kitsune squeezed her forearms uncomfortably. She hated how much of this plan made sense.

Naela sputteres in a moment of silly protest. She grabs Emi's arm. "Wait Emy! I-I don't want you to get hurt so... I-I'll go with you..." She blushes at her sudden outburst and quiets down. "I-I'm strong... I can use my powers... I'll be able to help you and... I-I just don't want you t-to go in alone..." She hugs Emi tightly, burying her face in the girla boob. "Please take me with you Emi..." Her voice is muffled from between Emi's cleavage.

Emi smiled abit "Well Hitomi that is very reassuring that you can also keep tabs like that, Yeah I have a good Idea and I understand but age has little to do with it if you have not handled being restrained in stressful situations. My brave little book warm friend, Are you sure cause If I cant get us free having attack powers won't mean much if we can't transform or worse despite the best efforts of Hitomi they discover our transformation bracelets. But if that does not change your mind, I would not deny my oldest friend the opportunity to be the one to watch my back." She ruffled Naela's hair a bit as she buried herself in her bosom.

White_squirrel1.jpg

Euridice coiled her tail around Kye's neck for balance and stood up. “Let's please keep this as a fallback plan for now. The spawn have gone quiet, and I want to find out what they're up to. We defeated one Devil-Baron and routed another. I think they intend to make a move against us. We need to find out what and intercept it if we can, if not be strong and ready enough to head them off when they make it.

“I have three potential places we can go to get Isabella's child purified. I'm still confirming which of them are still active, and which the easiest to reach. If you want to make plans with your families to go on a camping trip in the mountains next weekend, it's not too soon for that.”

She swallowed hard, then added, “Keep working on this back up plan if you like. You should think something like that through carefully before you attempt it.”

Kye listened realizing that she had no head for planning complex missions if this was a good idea. This sounded like a horrible idea, a horrible one, then to add a second...one of their fighters? Then she realized there was a new girl, it just seemed right for her to be here. She smiled and waved hello, but didn't make additional verbals, it was rude to interrupt. "Isabella is the first priority, and i want to pursue this. Can we help your research of active sites? Can we really wait a week?" She nodded to Syra, sitting on her hands really worked her up, but this was planning, it was doing something. It was preparation, perhaps with the right attitude she would see that.

"Oh, Syra, would you go into battle with a blunt spear? Your armor only half on, or rush off before you knew where the battle front rages? No. Like sharpening a weapon, buckling all the armor, or getting directions to where your sisters need you, these planning sessions are needed as well. I don't like the current plan, though I am not the brightest at planning. I move more by the seat of my pants," She looks down at her skirts, "Looks like I left without them again." She giggled. As Euridice rose to her feet, Kye snuggled in to the tail curled around her neck, and leveled the shoulder the squirrel stood, the claws a comfort.

Syra listened to everyone talk about potential traps and ambushes in order to track down the mandrake devil's lair but nobody had a solid plan for this. Using someone as bait went against her instinct to protect everyone and she wasn't going to let any of them go off and act as bait. Letting out a sigh she rubbed her temples as she thought of how best to counter the mandrake but before she could get her thoughts together Kye rounded on her. "I'd like to let you know heart seeker is always sharp and ready for a fight. Anyway i'm against the whole use someone as bait, it's a terrible idea and is going to get another one of us in this predicament." she gesture over to Isabelle.

"i'm all for ambus... wait..." she paused in her tracks and she thought carefully about what Euridce had just said. "I just got it..." she rounded on the little white squirrel, "What are the chances that all three of these sites of power are still active? low i'm guessing. We're looking at maybe one or two site at a push. One being our best best to try and cure Isabelle's blight." She took another pause and looked around the room, "What are the chances that the mandrake know about our current predicament and the fact that they have gone quiet is because they are waiting to ambush us at these sites?"

Isabella listen to all the girls and think about all that add been said.

She didn't agree either with the bait mostly because she was sure it would failed.

She look at Emi and smile "I know you are good to get out of bonds and restraining devices but sadly sending a bait might not work. Those green thing aren't as stupid as they look and they know us by now. Maybe not under our natural form but they would found strange a girl standing and waiting as a bait".

She look at Syra and smile "Thanks for you kind word over my condition Syra, i just want you all to know that i want this baby, i dont want to be a monster, but i want to have this baby. I am against any kind of abortion and if i give birth to a monster, i will deal with it myself."

She look at Ryoko and blush a bit "I am not asking any of you to risk yourself for this, if i need to, i will go alone and i think Syra right, The Mandrake devil surely need some kind of magical place to grow stronger and those kind of place aren't going by the hundreds".

5432d05dfc066c96dcb63ee49dceb585.jpg

Ryoko came up behind Isabella and wrapped her arms around the younger girl's waist. "It's going to be fine, kohai. if the Devils try to lay ambush for us on our way to one of the sacred sights, we'll be ready for them. We've beaten them beofre, we'll do it again. We've only grown stronger since!"

Kye was glad to hear conversation taking them away from the idea of human sacrifice, there were enough girls getting taken advantage without leaving a feast for the foul fiends. Hehe, Feast for the foul fiends, feast for four foul fiends, feast for four foul fiends. She giggled quietly to herself as she played with the sound of that. As there was talk of being ready for the trip and any resistance or ambush laid for them she bounced with enthusiasm, "Right! They show their wooden stick selves, we will just spank that ass again!" She frowned as she realized what that sounded like, "Err, I mean we will just beat them down again."

Back
Top Bottom