Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's Keeping You From That Request?

Deante

Star
What keeps you from answering a request thread that would ottherwise appeal to you? What is the thing you keep seeing that turns you off or otherwise locks you out from approaching that person? Or on the flip side, saying no/not answering the person approaching you; what is it time and again you are being asked to participate in that you do not want a part of?

Not kink bashing, only "This is my limit, and I keep butting up against that limit."

For myself, it comes down to two things:

1. NonCon/Dubcon or heavy abuse. For me both characters have to want anything that comes along, or else I get squicked. It's a really common request and I find myself skipping a lot of threads.

2. "No Furries". Pretty self-explanatory. I'm coming to BR for non-human play. Most on BR aren't.

I've come to learn that if someone really insists on certain kinks I can't stand, they may try to sneak it in even if they agreed not to - so I proceed with huge caution.

I won't even send a message of interest if I'm unsure I have time to write in the future. If I love a plot or writer I'm hard pressed to leave them hanging. Loosing the steam of interest and forgetting where we were heading to in the story sucks. It's likely to fuzzy and die after a good chunk of time has gone by.

As for me, there are 4 things that would keep me away from a certain request thread.

1: advanced level of grammar needed :
I know people like when people write correctly, but some of us dont even have English as their main language, I have been often rejected because of the odd way I write, since my first language is actually french.

2: Non-con/rape/BDSM :
I really dont like adventuring into those type of RPs, just the idea of forcing either a man, a woman or a futa to pleasure you by brute force is just wrong to me. I would feel immediately bad and would cancel the RP If any Non-con show up. Except if its off-story involving a side character.

3: When I play female character, having them treated like toys or sluts:
I know a lot of people are into this, but when I play as a female character, I highly prefer to have them treated like actually human beings. A woman with feelings is actually way sweeter to have sex with, especially I do tend to play pretty strong willed woman and also the shy and nerdy type.

4: when embarking into an harem setup, the choice of woman have no diversity:
That is by far one of the most annoying thing to me. I do see some people (and I apologize if I offend ya with what is coming.) That have no diversity in their women, which will turn me off from that RP almost immediately. Why having an harem of 4 girls with large breast with the only difference being hair and personality. I really enjoy when they have different body types, for exemple a girl with a smaller body and average bust, or a tall girl with a small chest, but wide hips to compensate!

Ouff, that kinda felt like a rant, but it was a fun thing to share!

Honestly I'm a fan of Discord-based RPs, especially for the slow-burning ones or ones with huge casts. I'll create an entire server for the two of us, and separate the channels appropriately so everything can be simultaneously in the same place and clearly delineated. A lot of this is personal preference, sure, but the interface to me is way cleaner and more responsive than BMR (although BBC-based forums will always be my childhood sweetheart(s)).

Anyway, as an actual response to the thread, depression/laziness/fears of not meeting expectations (mine or my partner's) are the biggest ones. I'm a slow-ass writer even when I'm not curled up somewhere daydreaming about my demise, and the longer these posts take the less likely they are to manifest. This has an unfortunate snowball effect, although I'm doing some drills and exercises to hopefully alleviate some of these faults.

What keeps me from responding to a search thread?

1) Discord/Offsite/Threads Only

I have no intentions of ever getting Discord or playing by e-mail or instant messenger. Tried it once and absolutely hated it. I also prefer to keep my one x ones private with my partners away from prying and judging eyes, a main reason why I don't do threads either.

2) Insistence on Kinks I'm Uncomfortable With

We all know what kinks we enjoy and don't enjoy. Trying to coerce me into doing kinks I don't like, particularly furries, watersports, and non-con, is a big no for me.

3) M/F Only

I'm a LGBT writer. M/F bores me and no matter how many times I attempt it, I can never make a story last. I prefer to write with people who are open to and accepting of LGBT characters and people.

4) First Person Only

I hate first person perspective. It creeps me out to be honest and it makes me feel like you're making yourself the character as opposed to creating an original, three-dimensional character. It's great if it works for you, but it's not for me.

5) Infrequent Posting

It's fine if we're already writing together and you notify me of an upcoming absence, but I prefer a partner who can give me at least a reply a day as I enjoy a faster paced story. Nothing against you, but if I see a thread that only promises one reply a week, I'm not going to be interested in writing with that person.

6) Demanding Your Writing Partner Be A Certain Gender

This is probably my biggest pet peeve of forum based adult writing communities and I ignore any thread that does this.

7) Obnoxious and Condescending Thread Titles

This is rude and it automatically gives me a bad vibe. I don't care if our interests align perfectly, I do not want to write with people who act this way on the forum.

To be honest, for me it’s not really about the content within the request thread itself. I tend to look through post history for existing and previous roleplay. If I don’t find anything or I get the sense that the writing won’t match with mine, then I won’t send a request for roleplay. I’m picky like that when it comes to roleplay partners.

PM only. Discord only. Offsite RP. I won’t do any of them because I exclusively write via threads.

I immediately click off any request thread that mentions “Dom/sub” or “Master/slave”. Likewise, I ignore every single PM I get that has “Dom/sub” or “Master/slave” in it, specifically because I mention in my request thread that I don’t write those cliche domination plots where the sub turns into a hungry cockslut bimbo within the first 10 posts of the RP.

I also don’t roleplay with anyone that sets post schedules or post length requirements. I can write a post a day if I have the muse for it, and I can write a post a week if I don’t. I can also write 2000-word posts and 200-word posts that are equal quality. I don’t dictate how my partners do their hobbyist writing, therefore I don’t want someone dictating how I do my hobbyist writing.

If someone has a really annoying typo or some glaring grammar problems in their thread, it'll make me slither off. It's petty, I know, but this is a site where writing is a big deal.

I like fandom stuff but anyone who only wants to play their OC's is instantly muted in my mind. Fuck that noise.

Adding one, but clarifying, it's not necessarily something that turns me away from a request thread but whenever I see them pop up, I don't even look at it: pairing lists. Like, the bare bones

I'm the same as you with the pairings Goodman; without context, they're meaningless.

PM only. Discord only. Offsite RP. I won’t do any of them because I exclusively write via threads.

I immediately click off any request thread that mentions “Dom/sub” or “Master/slave”. Likewise, I ignore every single PM I get that has “Dom/sub” or “Master/slave” in it, specifically because I mention in my request thread that I don’t write those cliche domination plots where the sub turns into a hungry cockslut bimbo within the first 10 posts of the RP.

I also don’t roleplay with anyone that sets post schedules or post length requirements. I can write a post a day if I have the muse for it, and I can write a post a week if I don’t. I can also write 2000-word posts and 200-word posts that are equal quality. I don’t dictate how my partners do their hobbyist writing, therefore I don’t want someone dictating how I do my hobbyist writing.

Beautifully said, Chai.

As usual, we're on the same wavelength!

The three main ones that'll immediately have me clicking the back button on the RT:

1) "I only write submissive characters." (As a general rule, I don't even bother to click on those that mention Dom/sub or Master/slave, etc in the title!)

2) "I don't write via threads/in public."

3) Demanded or expected daily postings or rapid-response rates. While I aim for at least one post a week, I'll reply as muse/real-life allows, and ask no more of my partners in return. It's a hobby; I already have a job!

Last edited:
Beautifully said, Chai.

3) Demanded or expected daily postings or rapid-response rates. While I aim for at least one post a week, I'll reply as muse/real-life allows, and ask no more of my partners in return. It's a hobby; I've already got a job!

Thanks, Quix!

We’ve talked about this before, but BMR definitely feels like it caters to a faster crowd as opposed to a place like E. The pace itself is fast. Faster bumping, more smut centered roleplays, faster posting expectations. It works for a lot of people, but it becomes kind of hard for the rest of us who want to write a couple posts a week and can’t keep up with most of the posting demands I see frequenting the request threads

Usually a request thread (In this case, a LOT of them) start out good until I find the only thing they crave is basically being used and abused. I find it so boring so I've no choice but to click out of the thread. Or they require such rigid expectations that, even if I meet all the criteria, it makes me wonder how controlling they'd be during the RP itself. Stepping out of that proverbial box might end an otherwise interesting play.

Also when their no's just mean we'd not be compatible as they just happen to dislike a few key things I deeply enjoy, so it's best to just not bother or we'd be walking on eggshells the entire time.

Or requiring Discord, the most annoying platform to RP on IMO when keeping RPs on site just feels like a better idea. I don't want to have to use a million tools just to RP. I wanna keep things condensed in one spot.

To be honest, for me it’s not really about the content within the request thread itself. I tend to look through post history for existing and previous roleplay. If I don’t find anything or I get the sense that the writing won’t match with mine, then I won’t send a request for roleplay. I’m picky like that when it comes to roleplay partners.

PM only. Discord only. Offsite RP. I won’t do any of them because I exclusively write via threads..

I feel on the outs there; I rarely manage to land RPs with people who do threads. I want threads, for the very reason you cite: examples (and it’s easier to edit a post than a PM). But if no one’s willing, I do PM.

I1) "I only write submissive characters." (As a general rule, I don't even bother to click on those that mention Dom/sub or Master/slave, etc in the title)

I take it you don’t approach many, then? ;)

That feels like 90% of threads.

Another: only an interest in playing Pre-made characters. Examples are fine, but being inflexible about who you play is an instant turn off.

People who have a set list of face claims.
People who want you to play a certain faceclaim but don't offer that same courtesy back.

And honestly, run-on sentences in request threads. If I see them there, I know they'll pop up in the roleplay itself, and they drive me up the fucking wall.

For me the biggest thing is demanding long responses. I tend to be on the somewhat shorter length. Not one liners. but a paragraph or two. I just cant bring myself to put in every little detail. Especially in scenes that's mostly dialogue. Those people who say that they regularly post 1000+ words and expect the same from me are a no for me.

When I see that someone has hard no for non con or rape, I can't reply to them since I can't do without non con or rape. Sometimes they had a idea that I liked but then it turns out to be idea I like, without non con or rape. Discord only is another thing that will stop me from replying. Sometimes I will check with the person, if they RP via PM, if it's not clear on their thread.

1) "I only write submissive characters." (As a general rule, I don't even bother to click on those that mention Dom/sub or Master/slave, etc in the title!)

I take it you don’t approach many, then? ;)

That feels like 90% of threads.

I don't, and given I also only write on threads, you can imagine my prospective partner pool is extremely limited :)

At least on BMR.

Things are easier on Elliquiy which trends much towards thread writing and offers greater story/character variety.

Offsite/Dsicord is a hard off for me, which has been annoying at times since there've been good offeres for good stories in a thread, but I have to walk away from it then.

I do admit to being more likely to move on from a thread when a person is a hard no on non-con, even if the story that Iw as looking into had nothing to do with it. I dunno, I just don't like the option not being on the table really. I've gotten better about it in recent days, but...meh. It's been an issue in the past.

Another thing I realized is when all of someone's prompts say that they'll play one character and say that I'm going to play many. I dont like doing those because I feel like im being forced to be super creative while they just sit back and worry about their one character. If there are going to be multiple people, then let's split the duties

Another thing I realized is when all of someone's prompts say that they'll play one character and say that I'm going to play many. I dont like doing those because I feel like im being forced to be super creative while they just sit back and worry about their one character. If there are going to be multiple people, then let's split the duties

Oh my god this is a huge one. It's why I can't play harem roleplays with 98% of people, because they want me to include all these main female characters, plus minor characters, and they want to play their one male character. I find it especially hard because at some point their posts get way too retroactive in order to respond to my multiple characters, and it slows the story down way too much.

Oh my god this is a huge one. It's why I can't play harem roleplays with 98% of people, because they want me to include all these main female characters, plus minor characters, and they want to play their one male character. I find it especially hard because at some point their posts get way too retroactive in order to respond to my multiple characters, and it slows the story down way too much.
For me it happens to be the other way around. They play one female getting into all these sexy situations and I'm expected to come up with dozens of different people/beings that are going to fuck her in many different ways.

I just don't like harem, not to write one or to write against one. I generally go for one main character and as many non main ones as needed. Hint: my partner's character doesn't get to fuck the other characters, because then, it's a harem lol.

It is different if we both write another main-ish character, or a threesome, or whatever.

1 - A long list of pairings. Sorry, but if the amount of effort or creativity you put into your RT is listing things as generic as Boss/Employee or Princess/Knight, then I have a pretty good idea of what a potential roleplay is gonna be like.

2 - Anyone who uses the phrases Literate/Literate Plus or whatever that shit is. It's a text-based forum, everyone here is literate. The whole smug superiority the term is bandied about with annoys me.

3 - Long blocks of text. I have to couch this, cause my RT is 2500 words. I don't mind a long read, I just can't stand extremely poor formatting. I'm a moron with BBcode and I can still manage to scrape together something with proper spacing, so there's no excuse for anyone else.

Oh, and I'll agree with Chai on something! Post schedules! That's an immediate no from me! The second I treat this site like a job is the second I start ghosting people. I get to replies when I get to them. They'll always be quality (or as quality as I can make them) but if you make me stick to a schedule I'm gonna find writing with you to be a chore rather than treat. Oh and if the RT is littered with grammatical errors, as people have mentioned, I'll just automatically leave.

Back
Top Bottom