Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

"Well , I will tune the piano for you so it will play better. I am so glad that it is finally being played. It was a shame it sat in the barn so long. " He set down the dulcimer a nd moved to her and hugged her gently.

Nelly leaned against him as he hugged her. "It really is a lovely piano. I'm glad it isn't in the barn anymore." Just then her stomach growled. She quickly wrapped an arm around her stomach to try to quiet its grumblings. "You know what we forgot? We were going to ask the doctor's wife to teach me to cook."

"Yes we were, but then I screwed things up. I feel really bad about that. Besides it probably wont happen in a day.." Hopefully next trip in, I can keep my head. "

"Hopefully he won't see us on the next trip. He'll be furious." Nelly shook slightly. She knew how cruel her father could be at times. This would probably be even worse because he had his pride hurt.

"Well I wont hurt him again, but I wont hide either. He wil just have to learn to behave. I guess for now you will just have to live with some more army cooking. H ow do you feel about Chili? It wont be fancy, but I know it wil be safe."

Nelly nodded. "Chili is good. Can I help you?" She asked, wanting to be helpful. Though she had never cooked a day in her life she figured she should be able to help with his guidance.

"Sure its not overly complex. first you need to heat some water t boi the dried beef and beans. Tke the kette and fi it, and i wiil buid a fire in the stove." when we have the water boiing we put 3 cups of beans and a haf pound of dried beef in the water to cook with a tabespoon of salt and som cumin. later we will andd an onion. "

Nelly did as she was instructed. When she set the kettle on the stove, her hand slipped and she dropped it. She jumped back, but not soon enough. The kettle landed on her foot and the water splashed everywhere. When she felt the kettle connect with her foot she yelped and tears came to her eyes.

Robert grapbbed the kettle and set it asside and scooped her up and sat her on the bed. he set the kettle on the stove and then returned to her, and began to gently examine her foot. 'tell me if it hurts." he said. trying to remain cam.

Nelly winced when he was examining her foot. Tears welled up in her eyes but she was trying to hide it. "I'm fine... really." She quickly wiped away her tears and tried to get up.

Robert placed a. Big hand on her shoulder and held her gently on the bed. "your not waking on that foot. At least not until I can fix up a splint of me kind.and maybe not at all for about two or three months. " Robert had seen similar injurys before an kne all too well what it meant. " From now untill that heals you have one job . Feeding and cuddling a baby , well maby two...you an keep me warm at night. I'l get the doc out here tomorrow to look at it. "

"Two or three months?! No no no no no... no. I have to be able to walk. I can't stay in bed all day. It's not that bad is it? You're just trying to scare me. Tell me you're lying." Nelly tried to stand, but cringed and fell back on the bed. Her foot was starting to swell and show signs of bruising.

"Now you listen to me! The ankle is one of the slowest parts of the body to heal, and if you insist on not resting it might never heal right. If you are a good girl and stay off of it, it might heal quicker, but don't rush it, and don"t you dare get up again till the doctor has seen it. Not for anything. We have chamber pot I got for Elizabeth when she was pregnant, and I'll help you get on it if you have to go. "

He went to her closet and rummaged through it for an old nightgown, one she wouldn't miss. He took it from the closet and layed it along her body, marking a spot with his hand high on her thighs and just long enough to cover her sex. He made a nick in the fabric with his knife and then tore the soft fabric making the night gown very short. He tore what remained of it into 3" wide strips and then moving to her feet he very carefully removed her shoes. He took the material strips and genty but tighty wrapped the injured foot and then getting wone of his heavy boot socks slipped it over the bandaged foot to protect it and keep it warm.

"Now, lets get you undressed. "

Nelly cringed as he wrapped her foot. Even though he was being gentle it still hurt. She clenched her fists, trying ignore the pain. However, it did not work and a few tears rolled down her cheeks.

When he finished, she calmed down a little. "Undressed? But it's the middle of the day." She sniffled and wiped her tears. "Go make the soup. I'll just sit here until it's ready."

"You don"t seem to understand. You aren't getting out of bed unless I carry you or putting any weight on that foot at all. Your clothes just make things difficult. You are getting out of that dress and your undergarments this minute. You may do it yourself with some help, or i will take care of it for you." His voice was gentle but very firm and left no doubt that he meant what had said.

Nelly let out a small whine. She knew he was being serious but tried to fight it anyway. "Can't I just stay dressed? I'll hop everywhere. You don't have to carry me anywhere."

He stepped up beside her and started unbuttoning her dress. " And just what do you think will happen to your ankle when you fall? Not a chance I wil let that happen." He continued working at the buttons. "Besides when the doctor comes he will want to check to be sure you ar alright and you know it".

Nelly grabbed at the fabric of her dress to hold it closed where he unbuttoned. "Alright, alright I'll do it. Go back to cooking and I'll get changed by myself. I won't get up. I promise."

"Everything off but the nightgown! I'l not have you trying to fight with underclothes on the chamber pot.!" He went over to the stove and now that the water was boilng he added the beans and dried meat to cook down before returningto the bed to be sure did not need help gettingthe clothes over the injured foot.

Nelly waited for him to turn away before changing into the nightgown. She ignored him and kept her underwear on. "Why did you have to cut the nightgown so short?" She complained as she tugged at the bottom of it, trying to pull it lower.

He looked at the pile of cothes on the bed. "For the same reason you cant where panties. Take them off! You can't have anything to get your legs tangled up in when you are out of bed." He reached down and gave her foot a gentle squeeze. If that little squeeze hurts that much imagine how you will feel if you trip and fall. I am not fooing with you here. You ask the doctor if I am right when you see him tomorrow. Don't take my word for it. But for now you willl obey my rules" He held out his hand "Panties, Now!".

Nelly covered her mouth with her hand to hold back a cry. Teary eyed with a defeated look on her face she pulled the panties off. Then she handed them to him and looked down as she held the nightgown in place. "Bully." She mumbled quietly as she kept her eyes cast downwards. Even though she knew he was just looking out for her, she was still upset.

He reached down and took her hand. "Someday when you are telling Elizabeth you are going to wash out a skinned knee, and it is going to hurt, and she crys and begs you not to, think about this day and you will understand better. I have seen grown men begging the doctor not to cut their foot off because it got infected after a break like yours. You have been lucky so far. I don't want you to face that."

Nelly paled at the thought of having her foot cut off. She was clearly shaken by what he said. "I w-will do whatever you say. Please, I don't want that." She trembled as she imagined her foot being cut off and hoped it wouldn't come to that.

"Well it shouldn't come to that, but if there is jagged fracture and it breaks the skin or severs an artery it coud, so we cant risk you falling for any reason. So until we know, you stay in bed and tend the baby, and I wi acrry you wherever you need to go." He went to Eizabet's crib and picked it up and set beside the bed so that Nelly could reache her. Then, he went to stir the chili.

Back
Top Bottom