Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

Nelly rocked in the chair as she listened to him play. "Where did you learn to play like that? It's beautiful." She commented though she kept her eyes on Elizabeth. The baby's toothless grin caused her to smile more. There was no way she could stay somber when looking at the cheerful little one in her lap. She reached down and rubbed her cheek gently. "You have the prettiest smile." She cooed to the baby as she looked at her affectionately.

"It started out as therapy. I got shot and partially paralyzed. I sat and played the dulcimer for weeks to learn how to move my hands again. Eventuality, I got so I could just play what ever came into my head. Elizabeth said her baby could hear it and would calm when I played . Like just now. "

"Yes she really does seem to like it." Nelly pulled a lock of hair behind her ear as she rocked the baby in the chair. By the look on her face, it was pretty easy to tell she was exhausted. She was even a little pale because she had been forcing herself too much. After all she had just gone through labor not too long ago. She really was a strong woman to be up on her feet so soon.

Robert looked over at the small bag that Nelly had. It had almost nothing in it. He went to the closet and got out a flannel nightgown that had been Elizabeth' and laid it on the bed. "I am sure you are tired , Put Elizabeth down, and I'll play till she sleeps . I set out a night gown for you . You should get into bed. I will come when the baby is asleep. " he too up the dulcimer and began playing a lulaby that he had taught himself for just this moment.

Nelly nodded weakly and took the baby to her crib. She tucked her in and then went to the bed where he laid the flannel nightgown. With her back turned to him, she stripped off her dress and undergarments. There was several bruises on her body, one on her arm looked like a hand print. It didn't take long for her to pull the nightgown. Then she slowly crawled into the bed and laid facing the edge. She closed her eyes and as she listened to the melody he played, she slowly started to drift off to sleep.

Robert played softly for nearly an hour. He enjoyed the music . It soothed his soul and he had put Elizabeth to sleep many nights this way before. Finally he set the instrument down and and stripped out of his clothes and put on a night shirt before climbing int the bed next to the young woman. She looked so beautiful as she slept beside him. Had it been under better circumstances for both of them he might have wanted to start a family but she was in no condition to do so and neither was he He snuggled up to her back and gently wrapped an arm around her before drifting off to sleep.

Nelly woke when she felt his arm around her. She stiffened and her eyes opened. After she knew he was asleep, she slowly and carefully moved his arm off her before scooting as far as she could to the edge of the bed before going back to sleep. A few hours later, she herd the baby cry and jumped out of bed. There was a funky smell coming from in the crib. She sighed and changed the baby's diaper. Then she fed her again and soothed her back to sleep before crawling back into bed. By that time she was so tired she fell right back asleep.

Robert rolled over and mostly as a matter of habit wrapped a powerful arm around the tiny woman and pulled her close. He never even woke up.

When Nelly woke in the morning, she was surprised to see that he was right next to her with an arm wrapped around her. As he slept, he seemed so peaceful. She watched him a minute before gently taking his hand in hers. Carefully she moved his hand away from her, trying not to wake him.

Feeling her hand in his he closed his gently around it and pulled her close again. "Nelly, do I scare you? " Each time you wake, you pull away from me. Why are you frightened? His voice was soft and gentle , but his grip was sure and firm.

Nelly gulped and looked at him nervously. She hadn't realized he was awake. "I'm not scared." she said in a small voice as she looked away. She wasn't good at lying so she avoided eye contact. The grip on her was strong so she didn't try to pull away this time.

"Then what is the trouble Nelly? Did I hurt you in some way ? You need not worry. I don't expect anything more then your warmth right now . Neither of us are ready for more than that. "

Nelly shook her head and mumbled. "It's not that. I hadn't even considered that." She paused for a moment before speaking again. "Hurts.." Where he was touching her to hold her in place was a bruise, but the clothing had it hidden.

Robert immediately loosened his grip "Why does it hurt ? are you injured? " he asked her .

Nelly pulled back when he loosened his grip. She couldn't look at him because she didn't want to say why it hurt. "I should go check on the baby." She said that, but the baby was silent. There was no reason why she needed to be checked on right that second. She was just trying to change the subject so she wouldn't have to answer him.

Robert pressed his hand down hard on the bed blocking her exit but not placing any pressure on her body. "The baby is fine" he said in a firm even tone, but you are not, and I want to know why. Their is no reason a young woman should hurt on account of the touch that I have given you unless something is wrong. You will tell me if you know, or I will take you to the doctor and find out before breakfast. We cannot build a married life on secrets, and we will not start out that way."

Nelly knew he was serious when he said he would take her to a doctor. "I-its just a bruise. I'm clumsy. It will be healed in a few days so there's no need for a doctor." As she said those words she still couldn't look at him because it was only a half truth. She sat quietly on the bed as she waited for a response, hoping he would buy it.

" The only thing worse for a marriage than secrets is deception. " He said with a sad tone as he'd lifted her face to his with a finger on her chin so their eyes met. " Now why don't you tell me what is really wrong?" He spoke with gently but with a firm tone, almost as a father to a daughter, which seemed to fit the moment as she was less than half his age.

Nelly gulped. Tears welled up in her eyes as she spoke the whole truth. "It really is bruises.. I was secretly going home and talking with my mother while father was away at work. We thought his anger would eventually subside so we kept in contact. We talked so much that we didn't notice the time. He was so mad when he came home that he grabbed me by the arm and threw me out of the house. There are steps leading to the door and I fell... That's the truth. That's probably why I lost the..." Her voice trailed off and she covered her face with her hands as she sobbed.

Robert's heart sunk as he heard the words , as he pulled her gently to his chest. How could a father be so cruel ? and how could he as a husband be so insensitive? Still it had been for the best he reasoned, as they needed to stand together against the hardness of life, and they could only rebuff the enemies they could see. "let me see " Robert said as he now gingerly lifted her night gown . He winced at the sight, and his anger burned against a father that could be so terribly cruel. Here was another man it was best that he never met. but in this case it was his wife's father and he thought better of allowing his anger free reign over his heart and instead he let the robe cover her again and pulled her into his lap, kissing her gently.

Nelly was surprised when he suddenly pulled the nightgown. Her first instinct was to cover herself, but she knew he just wanted to see the bruises so she stayed still. When he clothed her, she thought that would be the end of it, but then he pulled her onto her lap and kissed her. Her eyes widened with surprise and she quickly pulled away. "Y-y-y-your wife." She stuttered as she turned her head away. It just didn't feel right when she had only died not more than twenty four hours ago.

"his kiss had bee a gentle one, as one would kiss an injured child. When Nelly reacted with shock, he broke the kiss and whispered to her. "Elizabeth is still with me, and if she were here, and watching she would approve. , just as she would approve of you placing her child at your breast. She always approved kindness and love. You are healing too, and we need to nurture one another" At that he kissed her again on the cheek. and continued to hold her.

Nelly rested her head on his shoulder as she sat on his lap. "How is it some people can be so cruel?" she mumbled, not really expecting an answer. She thought about the man who left her and her father who abandoned her. "It was just one mistake." Her heart ached for the time before she became pregnant. Back then her life seemed perfect. She was happy and didn't have a worry in the world. If only she could take everything back and go to that previous time. Maybe things would have turned out different.

He just held her gently , letting her curl up into his powerful arms . At that moment he was acutely aware of of how beautiful and innocent she really was, and just how much a victim. "The world is full of cruel people" he said softly as he hugged her ever so gently , now aware of her bruises. "The only way we can reconcile it is with forgiveness, as much for ourselves as for the one who hurt us."

"I don't hold any hate for them. It just hurts to be left behind and abandoned." Nelly sniffled and tried to keep from crying. "James... that's the name of the soldier who left me.. He didn't even leave a letter to explain or say goodbye. He just suddenly disappeared and when I inquired about him they said he had requested the transfer. I was all alone to face my father. The second he heard, he kicked me out without even time to get my things. The little I have now is thanks to my mother, but I couldn't take much for fear of father finding out. I didn't want her to get in trouble, but now he knows she's been seeing me. I hope she's okay."

Back
Top Bottom