Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

Robert knew well that there was little he could do to protect her mother as the law made her the property of her husband, but those same laws allowed him to completely protect Nelly. "your father will never touch you again. " he said with a firm but quiet voice. Hearing her speak of the lack of things, he reminded her " Everything that was Elizabeth's now belongs to you, and it would honor her and me if you would accept them. She has no use for earthly things and it would be sin to waste them."

Nelly thought about it a moment and then nodded slightly. "It would be a waste not to use them." She still felt a little out of place in the house, but that was to be expected with everything happening so quickly. However his words helped to comfort her and make her feel like this really could be her home. Even still, she didn't want to be a burden to him. "What will my daily chores be? I know I am here to take care of the baby but what else?"

" I had rather expected that you intended to be a wife and mother and would expect the same care and respect that is ordinarily afforded one. As I am sure you can see , this home had the care and touch of a woman, and I rather hoped that would continue. I didn't assign duties to Elizabeth, and I did not plan on do so with you. I will see to the chores that require the strengths of a man. I hope you want to see to those things which are the strengths of a woman, and you have free reign to do so."

"I'm sorry. Im afraid I don't know how to do much. My father is a rich man and we had servants, a maid and a cook, to take care of the home. I will try my best but I'm afraid I will be rather useless." Nelly admitted as she lowered her head. She felt very unprepared for the task of being a wife and home maker.

"well then I will not expect too much from you beyond the care and feeding of the baby for now. Perhaps we can speak to the doctor's wife and she can provide you with some help to learn what you need to know. As it happens, Elizabeth also came from a family of wealth in the east, and the Abigale was the one that helped her to learn her skills. I am used to army cooking and so I am sure nothing you feed me will poison me. If you want to know how to open a tin of beans, I would be glad to instruct you!"

It seemed to Robert that resting in his lap was relaxing them both, and was allowing them to quietly work through the difficulties that presented themselves. Just then a small voice from the crib was heard and interrupted their quiet time.

Nelly looked over at the crib. "Speaking of food, she must be hungry again." She quickly went over to the baby and picked her up. That little girl had her wrapped around her finger. "Good morning sweetheart." She cooed as she held her.

"Babies sure do eat a lot and she definitely has a healthy appetite." She commented as she held the baby up to her breast to feed. Then she walked over to the bed and sat beside Robert.

Robert Smiled and held a big hand behind the little girl's head, and gently rubbed her thin layer of soft hair.

"you make a very good mother Nelly. I am sure you can learn the rest soon enough. " Suddenly his eyes lit up and he went to Elizabeth's closet and returned with a carefully embroidered nursing cape, that Elizabeth had made anticipating a baby. He wrapped it over Elizabeth as she fed, and said "this is yours now"

Nelly was surprised when he suddenly got up. She wondered what he was doing. When he came back with the nursing cape she looked it over. "It's beautiful. Did she make it?" She asked as she brought up her free hand, gently running her fingers across the embroidery.

"She wove the fabric on the loom and hand embroidered it. She made it for Elizabeth. Now that you are her mother it belongs to you." She knew there would be times when the baby would need to nurse but others were around. You should spend some time looking through the closet, She made lots of special things for the baby. Things that only a Baby and its mother could enjoy. They belong to you and Elizabeth , whatever might happen. I will die long before either of you. Those things will stay with you always. "

Nelly nodded. "I will look at the things but..." Her expression became pained as she spoke." "please don't talk about dying. I know it's inevitable, but it's not something I want to think about. Not now." When the baby finished, she brought her up to burp her. Then she rocked her in her arms as she smiled down at her. "I only want to talk about happy things like this precious little bundle and what she might be like when she grows up."

"Would you ever consider another one?" he asked her with a hopeful look in his eyes. " I always dreamed of at least three" He wanted to say that he knew he was too old for that but she did not want to speak of death and so now seemed the time to ask. My best hope is that she will be like her mothers, both of them, the one she will always know and the one that gave her life, both are dear to me now. "

"I always thought I would have three or maybe even four... two boys and two girls." Nelly smiled down at Elizabeth who had a big toothless grin. "I bet you'd like to have a little sister, wouldn't you?"

Robert couldn't contain his smile at her words. It threatened to break his face. "Or a brother or two" he interrupted enthusiastically. As he watched the two of them together, his heart soared.

"Those too." Nelly said with a small giggle when Elizabeth grabbed her finger. Her hands were so small they almost couldn't wrap all the way around her finger. "You've got a strong grip there little one." She wiggled her finger but the baby wouldn't let go.

He watched as the little girl kicked her legs happily in Nelly's lap. "Well since you haven't yet learned, I guess we will eat army breakfast. You ever have eggs in hole? " He got up and pulled on some clothes before starting a pot of coffee and starting a fire in the stove. he opened the cold box, built into the ground and produced six quail eggs, a loaf of bread and a chunk of bacon. He sliced off to thick slices of bread and tossed two thick pieces of bacon in the skillet to fry .

"No I haven't" Nelly stood with the baby in her arms. She walked over to the stove, but made sure to stay back enough to keep the baby safe. "I'm a quick learner though. If it's alright, I'll watch and maybe I could try to make it tomorrow for breakfast." As she spoke, she watched every little detail of what he was doing so she could remember how to make it.

He poked out a hole in each slice of bread, and placed them in the skillet frying the bread on both sides in the bacon grease. When the bread was crisp and brown he cracked three small eggs in each hole and let the egg a few minutes before flipping the toast and cooking the other side. "best put Elizabeth in bed. You need to eat too, and if you are hungry I will fix you another. " He placed an egg in the hole on each plate and added a slice of bacon and set them on the table. Then he sat and waited for Nelly. As he waited, his head was bowed.

Nelly did as he instructed and set the baby down in the crib. It took a moment before she could get her to let go of her finger. When she finally had her down, she then joined him at the table and picked up a fork. She was about to start eating when she noticed him bowing his head. Slowly she set the fork back down in its place. Then she copied him and bowed her head as well.

Seeing her bow as well he reached over and took her hand. "Lord bless this food , this woman, and this home, and our child ... Amen." he looked up and smiled and waited for her to try the eggs. "Is it Ok?" he asked?

Nelly smiled and picked up her fork when he finished. She took a bite. It was nothing like the fancy food she was used to. Even though it was plain, she liked it. "Yes, it's good. Thank you."

"Would you like another? you are eating for two you know, and that little girl has an appetite. " He was already planning on a second round and had eggs and bacon ready.

"Yes please. I didn't get supper yesterday." Nelly said before taking a bite of the bacon. She already had half of her plate eaten and would soon have it finished off completely.

He started more bacon and made another skillet full this time he made her two. He wouldn't tell her that this was the only breakfast he could cook. " I think we best make sure we talk to the doctors wife soon, it wont take long before you are sick of my cooking. "

"Really? I don't think I could get sick of it." Nelly said as she quickly finished off the food on her plate. Then she held out her plate for more. "Is it done yet? I already finished what you gave me."

"Almost ! you can have it now if you want runny eggs, but that is up to you. " he waited a moment and then placed two eggs on her plate and two pieces of bacon. "You know, I'm thinking we better raise chickens, there aren't enough quail about to kept us fed,." He smiled at her. "It is good you have a healthy appetite! When break fast is done we can go in to town, talk to the doctor and his wife, and bring home some chicks to raise. " He watched he as she ate. He couldn't help but think that her breasts were fuller than before. "You might look through the clothes that are here and make a list of anything you need that you do not see. "

Back
Top Bottom