Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Princess and The Thief-Apparent (Innocent Anathema & SuperSaiyanMusashi)

"That I did!" Musashi verified. "I like them too!" he added. He then looked at the mighty dark stallion. "Hmm...I shall call you..Campbell! Yes, that was the name of a powerful centaur who I met in one of my travels. His tale was one of many in an epic conflict I've read and even help promote the books about. I will name my steed out of respect for Campbell the Cavalier!" he decided.

"I guess we both have reason to worry about pursuers," Musashi related. Helping her learn about the situation, he confirmed, "They do. Not all the time; just a flash here or there when their emotions run high. Both lesser and greater oni show the eye-glowing trait. Other ways to tell them from real people are with this wristband, or just by spotting mutations like bigger limbs, claws and horns, or in some rare cases: their faces become skeletal."

"Well, I will admit the fear is there, but sharing it with you helps. Kinda makes it exciting too!" Musashi admitted. "That being said, yes, do learn about your scepter. It chose you after all." he added.

Finishing his share of the breakfast, Musashi took a few steps toward Campbell. "So..what should I learn first?" he asked Juniper.

Juniper

"Hello, Campbell," she greeted the horse with a smile as she started in on her breakfast with a pleased smile. Oh the blueberries were ripe and juicy, just perfect. A little happy sigh left her. "A centaur. Aren't they half horse and half human?" She asked thoughtfully before getting a few more nibbles of her pancake.

They had a lot going on with both being pursued and needing to look out for oni that could literally be anyone even someone that they knew. The latter notion made her shudder at the idea. The risks before them seemed great and yet, Musashi had a point. They were in this together. So, it couldn't be all that bad. She nodded her head lightly. "Together then. We'll find a way to make it through this."

She was munching once more when she caught sight of him approaching his horse. Campbell kept grazing watching him lazily. "Mmmm talk to him like you would a friend. Tell him your name and tell him what you've decided to call him. Then let him smell your hand. I usually will lightly exhale over my horse's nose and let him sniff my breath to really get my scent. It's what they do with each other and seems to calm them." A smile broke over her face. "Oh yeah and pet him gently."

"They are indeed," Musashi confirmed. "While many cultures would think of cavaliers as mounted men, I went to one world the terms Knight and Cavalier would always refer to armed centaurs," he explained.

Musashi wore a friendly smile when Juniper shared his wish to face the immediate challenges together. He then offered both of his hands to her for a brief moment and a quick gentle squeeze.

Looking to bond with his new teammate, Musashi greeted, "Hey buddy, what's going on? I'm your pal Musashi." He then gently stroked the strong stallion on his upper back. "I named you Campbell after a heroic cavalier, as you may become a hero in your own right." Finally, the swordsman offered Campbell a sniff of his hand while using the other to pet him slowly and gently a little more as he drew closer to his front side.

Juniper

The princess smiled softly watching him with the horse happy that he seemed good with animals and that Campbell seemed all right with him as well. They looked as though they'd get along fine. "Looks like he likes you just fine. They're smart animals and can usually sense what we feel." She fished around in her satchel for a moment before finding something. "Here, catch." She tossed him a biscuit that she got from the castle before she'd left. "Feed it to him but make sure that you keep your hand flat with all your fingers together with the cookie in your palm. That way he can only pick up the treat and not mistake your fingers for one."

She was thoughtful a moment watching him with the horse. "You've traveled a lot of places, haven't you?" Taking a little breath, she let it out as a bit of a laugh. "I envy you. I haven't been outside the capital before. So this is very new for me." She untied the sceptre from her waist and studied it curiously. From what she'd read, it was supposed to shift to its master's needs. Holding it in both hands, she concentrated on the simple form of a bow. Surprisingly, the thing moved reshaping in her hands to form exactly that: a bow. "Huh, will you look at that? That was a lot easier than I thought." She picked it up and drew the cord back getting a feel for it. To her surprise, an arrow of light formed across the bow when drawn and disappeared when she released the tension on the line. "That's handy..." She shook her head. "To think that I used to hate this thing." She sighed. "Rather, I blamed it for choosing me causing others to limit my life."

Snatching the biscuit of the air, Musashi complied, holding his hand flat so the food item would stand out. He watched the brave steed happily consume the item as he smiled and asked Campbell, "Good, huh? I love my treats too!" After it was gone, he petted his new buddy a little more, then turned his attention to Juniper as she revealed her newest talents. He reacted, "Ah, nice!" upon seeing the bejeweled staff change its shape, and even generate an arrow out of energy.

"Nicely done, June!" he praised. "Don't even need a quiver!" he observed. Thinking about his travels he confirmed, "Yea I sure have. Oni seem to know no limits in terms of what worlds they'll end up in, but I guess experiencing new worlds, and making friends in them, is my reward for succeeding on a mission!" He felt sympathy for Juniper being confined to her family's castle, but also saw opportunity. "This could be your chance, June. We have to lay low for awhile, but you might just prove your strength to the entire kingdom soon!" he inspired. He then thought a bit about his own upbringing. "I guess your connection to the staff is kind of like my superstrength: it's a gift capable of great things, but it also seems to define who we are and how our parents raised us."

Musashi then looked partially at Juniper and partially at Campbell. "Campbell seems a good partner thus far, but I understand we're just getting started and no one said this would be easy." he realized. "We'll do what we can in the limited time we have." he confidently determined.

Juniper

Juniper smiled a bit trying to stretch the bow once more. "I guess it's a good thing," she said eyeing the golden tool. "I'll see what I can do with it. Do you think that if I show that I'm capable enough of protecting myself, maybe I can be... for lack of a better phrase, let off my leash?" She certainly hoped so. Being out here was certainly more interesting and there was only so much that she could see in one place. She stretched the bow one more time, took aim and let the arrow fly. It hit a tree across the way a little bit below the center of a knot in the tree. "Not bad for it having been a while. Seems I'll have to work on getting a feel for it."

She wondered what else that that the sceptre could do. Her gaze flicked up toward Musashi figuring that she had best help with this lesson. "Indeed." She stood thinking that she had to put the sceptre away so that she could help her friend. The bow must have sensed that for it changed once more to a simple necklace. She blinked surprised. "Well that's handy." She smiled softly and tried to put it on but the clasp proved more difficult to do than normal. So, she walked over to Musashi and held it out to him. "Would you mind putting this on for me?" She asked. "Then we can go over riding for you."

Last edited:
Thinking about the leash analogy, Musashi theorized, "Hmm...I'd like to think so. Freedom to explore a little is important in personal growth. But as far if your father will..I guess that depends on who he is and how he thinks." Watching her arrow hit near the knot, the swordsman praised, "Nice shot, June!"

Blushing a little at the princess's request, Musashi stepped over to her and took hold of the 2 sides of the scepter's necklace-form. With Juniper's long pink hair worn to a single side, Musashi was able to line up the 2 connectors behind the pretty girl's neck. Feeling a little nervous, yet happy that Juniper would invite him to help her with an accessory, Musashi made the connection while his heart picked up its pace in response to the pleasant scent of her skin and hair.

With the scepter secured and cleverly hidden in plain sight, Musashi returned to Campbell and asked his teacher, "Should I board now or wait until we get to the clearing?"

((Edit: more necklace details))

Last edited:
Juniper

Juniper was curious now as she thought about her father. She hadn't been allowed off the grounds much let alone the capital. She couldn't imagine that changing much even if she got better with the sceptre. The thought was dismaying yet, she had to try. If she didn't, then nothing would change and she'd regret not putting forth the effort. "I guess that there is only one way to find out." With that, she'd shot one of the arrows smiling a bit at where it'd hit for the mark. Of course, Musashi's praise only had her blushing and smiling a bit. "You think so?" she asked happily.

She was grateful that he could help her with the necklace. Although there was something about the feeling of the cool metal against her collarbone and the brush of his fingertips against the nape of her neck that was making her blush. Or was that just his nearness. Wait... what? She closed her eyes considering the feeling and the way that her heart fluttered. What a strange feeling. Lightly, she placed her hands over the necklace feeling its place on her neck and how her heart beat against her chest. She glanced over her shoulder at him with a rather soft smile. "Thank you for your help."

She walked over to his horse with him and stroked Campbell's face. "Why don't you get on here?" Lightly, she held onto the horse's bridle and stroked a hand over his neck soothingly. When he'd got on, she checked his saddle to be sure that it was adjusted properly for him. "You sit tall and relaxed. Lightly squeeze your legs to cue him to move forward. Remember your partners working together. Look where you want to go and use the reins to guide him where to go. Set your weight back in the saddle and pull back lightly on the reins to stop." She stepped back from the horse and walked a few paces in front of him. "Ask him to follow me." She backed away a few more steps allowing him to figure it out.

"Sure thing," Musashi confirmed with a little blush, smiling back at Juniper after affixing her scepter-necklace.

Keeping up with his lesson, Musashi carefully boarded Campbell and thought took in Juniper's instructions one at a time. He sat up with his back straight, but eased the tension on his shoulders. He applied the slightest leg pressure, setting Campbell into a light walk. Moving the reigns, their direction changed towards Juniper's lead. At first they turned too far, prompting the student-rider to change direction slightly back the other way. As he did, he unwitting applied a little more leg pressure, increasing the speed of the movement a little. "Ohh booyy!" he reacted. Seconds later he opined, "Hey this is kinda fun!"

Juniper

"Well now, aren't you a natural?" Juniper put her hands on her hips watching him before laughing just from the look of enjoyment on his face. "I guess that means that we can go and you can learn on the way." With a nod of her head, she went and checked her mare's girth before getting up in the saddle. Of course, she rode her mare side-saddle since she was a lady, of course but that didn't matter much. She guided her horse over by the samurai's and glanced down to her curiously. "You know, I don't think I caught your name either, girl. You can be Daisy." With a nod of her head, she petted the mare's neck. "Oh look Daisy, isn't Campbell handsome?" The horse looked toward the stallion, flashed her ears back before snorting. "Oh, don't be like that. Give him a chance. You might be surprised." Another snort from the mare but she did sneak a sniff in of Campbell's neck before walking on calmly.

"We should probably stop for some supplies before we head out of town. What do you think?" She looked over toward Musashi curiously. "Maybe some rations and a blanket if we get stuck outside. Of course, I haven't really tried sleeping outside before."

Musashi lightly smiled at the notion of learning along the way. "I could go for that," he agreed. "I can't promise never falling off, but I can promise that if I do I'll get right back on!" he offered, while continuing to give Campbell the requisite attention. "Daisy's a fine mare," Musashi shared to Campbell. "And I'm sure she'll come to appreciate you more, but we won't force the issue." Campbell seemed amenable to the advice, yet stoic and confident at the same time.

"Those would good things to have," he agreed. He started remembering how he had a wide variety of sleeping conditions in some of his past adventures. "Yea we could end up roughing it once or twice," he noticed. "I mean, I always prefer a room at an inn or a real home, but just sleeping under the stars is an interesting experience, and I could do it again, especially in good company!" he relayed with a little smile at the end.

Taking a slow trot back into town, Musashi advised, "Remember: that suspicious character might still be in town; we should shop discreetly and leave."

Juniper

The pink-haired princess smiled to herself as her gaze followed Musashi for a moment. He was rather sweet and she appreciated that about him. He was tenacious as well. "I can't believe that this is your first time riding a horse," she commented with a bit of a grin. "You're doing rather well at it." Of course, animals always seemed to respond well to a good leader and gentle hand.

As they moved back toward town, she thought about what he'd said. "I don't really want to run into that oni that was looking for you. Granted, I can shoot a bow now but still. I'd rather not run into trouble. That might be just wishful thinking though." A little shrug came to her shoulders. "We could split up to get the supplies faster." His notion of sleeping under the stars was a romantic one and the thought drifted through her head. Just what would that be like? It seemed a little cold perhaps but she was always cold.

They turned down a side street and came up on the general store. She hopped down and tied Daisy to the hitching post there before looking up to Musashi. Then a casual glance was tossed around the area. Oni could look like anyone? How unnerving. A little shiver ran down her spine at the notion. They'd be hard to pick out as well.

"Well.." Musashi blushed, "..it's not the only time; the last time was really short though and was a lot of years ago. With constant supervision too!" he humbly recalled.

As the store approached, Musashi carefully took after Juniper's lead to dismount and tether Campbell to a safe post. He then agreed to her plan to split up and get supplies faster. "Okay; I'll get some blankets and camping items if you can get some travel food," he suggested.

Spotting an outdoor gear shop near the general store, Musashi headed towards it after promising Juniper he would return to the horses once finished with his errand.

Walking into the impressive supply carrier, Musashi stopped for a moment, amazed at all of the different sporting goods present. After walking around examining the items for several minutes, he remembered his mission and brought 2 outdoor sleeping sets and small tent to the counter and traded several coins to the shopkeeper. While walking out, the samurai started cramming the items into his larger-on-the-inside belt pouch, not paying much attention to where he was going. He was just outside the shop when he finally succeeded, at which point he looked up and traded stares with the same soldier who was searching for him earlier. He jumped and gasped, then ran for the general store, seeking out his friend the princess to urge her, "June, we have to get out of town now!"

Juniper

So, they had a plan. That was a good start and Juniper wanted keep up her end of the task. Finding food that travelled well. All right, that couldn't be too difficult, right? She watched Musashi go off before she found the courage to head inside to begin her search. Apples, some jerky, coffee, tea, some biscuits. She found a pack with some dried out stew that might be good if they could cook it tonight.

That's when a particular scent caught her nose. It smelled amazing and she wasn't quite sure what it was. She got up to the front of the store with her goods and saw these steaming buns set out on the counter. "What are those?" She asked and was surprised to hear what they were. She'd just finished paying for a few of them and the rest of the food when Musashi barged into the store looking panicked. Her face paled some in surprise. "Musashi?"

Yet, she didn't have long to wait for what was going on. All that she needed to know was that they needed to move and he looked worried enough. So, she pushed most of the things into her satchel with a nod. "Let's go!" She waved to the clerk quickly thanking him as she rushed out the door with him not bothering to ask any questions on why the urgency had come up. It didn't matter at the moment. She trusted him and if this is what they needed to do. So be it. She swung up into her saddle easily enough and urged her mare on. "Are you all right?" She asked once they'd gotten a little bit away.

With items purchased and his message of urgency delivered, Musashi ran back to the horses with June and mounted Campbell as fast as he could and started following after Juniper. Being new to riding, especially in an urgent situation, he applied a little too much leg pressure, causing Campbell to gallop faster and more turbulently. The samu-rider accidentally bounced up a little, relieving the leg pressure and bringing Campbell to a bucking stop that threw Musashi backwards. The nimble fencer started to fly backwards but quickly used his air-jump to hop back into the saddle and re-take the reins. This time, he controlled the pressure more carefully. Finally catching up with Juniper he answered her question, "Yeah...I'm okay! I mean..everyone falls off once or twice early on, right?"

Though slightly removed from the town, Musashi advised, "We need to stay hidden. We're lucky that scout was further away from his horse than we were to ours, but he'll be grabbing reinforcements."

Juniper

Anxiety was riding Juniper pretty hard as they rode out of town and she heard the scuffle of hooves behind her looking back just in time to see Musashi jump back onto Campbell. Worry crossed her face for a moment but he seemed all right. So, she didn't bring it up. When they were a bit away, she nodded her head guiding her horse off the main trail onto a game trail. "All right, I hope that we got out of there soon enough."

"At least, we can still find where we are going with the sceptre even off the main trail." Thank goodness that they had that since she certainly wasn't a tracker or used to the woods. She glanced down heaving a sigh as she tried to get her heart to settle some from the bit of fear that had gotten her. "You're all right, right?" She asked finally. "Did you have to fight him or anything?"

Last edited:
Following June and Daisy onto the game trail, Musashi eased up his pace, feeling relived that he was able to recover from his rookie mistake. "I think we lost them for now," he speculated. "I'm okay; just a little beginner's growing pains there."

He gently shook his head at the question, "No..as soon as I knew he saw me I ran to you. I imagine he went for backup, thinking he could overwhelm us; not a chance I was ready to take."

Returning to the subject of tracking he suggested, "We can proceed to Duke Marcus's keep in the cover of the forest for awhile, maybe head to a clearing at sunset to rest up." Then, holding up his wristband he guessed, "I think if he touch the scepter and wristband together and focus, we'll get a feel for the right direction.

The forest around the game trail looked lively. Birds up high were singing chirpy serenades, nipping at bugs and seeds, or resting upon their eggs, incubating the next generation. A few skittish squirrels ran up oak trees.

Further up, an angry-looking grey wolf stood in the middle of the path, showing its sharp fangs. Musashi dismounted and walked a few feet ahead. The wild preadator snarled for a moment, until suddenly its body disgustingly unzipped along the spine where 2 barbed appendages emerged.. Its head split in 2, a zarlac-like 3rd mouth of extra teeth formed between the 2 heads, and its 4 paws expanded in size as the claws lengthened. Musashi immediately pulled his 2 swords out as he shouted a warning, "Look alive, June! That wolf's been mutated by an Oni!"

Juniper

Her heartbeat was slowing down but she was still on edge some as they rode through the woods. The animals in the trees gave Juniper a bit of comfort since they wouldn't be as lively and comfortable if they felt threatened, right? Those amber eyes of hers lifted to his face considering using the sceptre to look for the way to go. "That should be pretty easy, right?"

Of course, that was just before they happened upon that wolf. She drew up Daisy watching the thing shift to some scary monstrosity. "Uh..," her eyes widened a tad. "That those reinforcements that you mentioned?" Fear prickled along her skin. She'd never really been in a dangerous situation. Well, except for that man that Musashi rescued her from. She thought fast and fought down the panic that tried to grip her. It sure looked like they needed to fight it rather than run. Reaching for the pendent around her neck, she had it shift to the bow and un-slung it. Biting her bottom lip, she guided Daisy with her knees and drew back the bow letting an arrow of light fly for the beast's mouth right when it snapped its jaws open.

Last edited:
Hearing Juniper reference the reinforcements, Musashi speculated, "It could be! They might have mutated wild animals to cover the game path!"

The mutant wolf attempted to swat June's arrow away with his huge paw. Due to the magical nature of the arrow, the wolf's block slowed its path but the bolt still struck it the back, triggering a grunt from the beast. Using that as an opening, Musashi closed in and slashed out with Fusion, which the wolf-oni met with a parry from its new "tail". He then slashed with Lumina, which the enemy met with hard gritted teeth to block. Its tail then split open in a shape like a flower of 3 petals, with a lit flame in the center. It then hurled that flame at the fencer, who blocked it high with his 2 swords, only to then shout a painful "Ahh!" as the beast bit him in the ankle. He attempted to swat it away with Fusion, only to see the spiky-spine-tail catch the katana.

Juniper

June was frightened. There was no if's, and's or but's about it. Yet, she'd agreed to come on this mission not that there'd been much other choice. Musashi needed the sceptre and the sceptre needed her. So here she was. It was all she could do to keep herself in check but slowly, the fear started to turn to something else. A sharpness that she used to focus when she saw her friend having trouble with the beast. She drew the bow again taking aim and letting another arrow fly right for the wolf's side right behind the foreleg, where the heart should be. She loosed two more in the same spot for good measure just in case the first got knocked aside again. "Let go of him!"

Last edited:
Glowing golden arrows flew. Seeing June's plan, Musashi let go of his swords and grabbed the beast's biting head, holding it in place. The oni-wolf swatted one arrow with it's spine-whip, and another with its huge forepaw, but left the 3rd unchecked. The final arrow sliced through the wolf's heart, driving it back and loosening its grip on the fencer's ankle and sword. Seeing it stunned Musashi grabbed both his sword, double-jumped as high he could, and came crashing down upon the mutate's 2 heads. The mighty wolf flopped down, looking dead. Moments later, red-violet smoke formed around its body, and a few glowing red and yellow orbs popped out. Musashi extended his right hand, willing the orbs into his wristband. Finally, the smoke cleared, and the wolf was there, looking normal again with all signs of oni-mutation erased. It was alive and breathing too, but comatose.

"We saved him. He'll be konked out for a few hours but he'll live," Musashi explained, having defeated a few Oni-mutates in the past. "Thanks for bailing me out of that tight spot, June; that was good shooting!" he praised with gratitude. Finally, he returned to Campbell and advised, "We better watch for other forest critters that the Duke mutated."

Juniper

Oh... one hit it's mark and Musashi was able to get free. Thank the stars. She was so very thankful as he was able to crush the beast's heads. Not that she wanted to see anything get hurt but it was them or him. So life or death situation, even she wouldn't just roll over and give up. Although, she had forgotten the fact that he'd mention that some oni could be saved when killed. She blinked lightly looking to him. "You think he'll be all right?" She questioned looking toward the downed wolf. She sure wouldn't have wanted to meet that monster by herself. At least, not without a lot more practice.

A soft sigh left her as she slumped back in the saddle relaxing some. "I can't believe that I was able to help." A little smile touched her mouth. "Imagine that." He was right that they needed to be careful and she would be on her guard as he mounted up on Campbell. With a sigh, she put a hand to her chest trying to get the anxious flutter of her heart to calm down some as she nudged Daisy forward. "Come on, Musashi. Let's keep moving. I don't really want to advertise to any other nasty critters in the area where we are just yet."

Last edited:
Checking over the wounded wolf, Musashi assured, "I think so. He'll wake up after a while, but at that point he'll be a lot more interested in rabbits and squirrels than anything to do with us."

Back upon the horseback ride, the samurai smiled at Juniper, "Your help was great; I think we're starting to becoming a team here!" He then added, "If we make it through this, and you wanted to grow as a monster-hunter, I could introduce you to my aunt and she could provide you some of the same training she did for me."

As they trotted along the forest path, the sun started to work its way down to the horizon. The daylight slowly diminished, and the sounds of singing warblers and blue jays started to give way to chirping crickets, flapping bat wings, and ominous owl hoots.

Juniper

It was good that the wolf should be all right. That was one less thing that she had to worry about and she didn't feel as concerned about shooting at an actual living creature. She'd only done targets before. So, loosing an arrow at something alive was a whole different feeling.

A soft smile touched her face at his compliment. She really hoped that she could be of help to him. It's why she came, after all. A small laugh left her. "I don't know about continuing on as a monster-hunter. My father would probably never allow it. I had to sneak out to join you after all. Although, I do enjoy helping people. So, I'm not sure. It sure seems pretty hard to make it happen. Not impossible though."

The forest seemed alive with the different animals as the sun began to set and the trail started to become harder to see. There sure didn't seem to be any town in sight yet. "I think we should perhaps find a place to stay tonight. Looks like we'll be roughing it. This should be interesting." Camping was certainly not something that June had ever done before or rather been allowed to do. The little path that they were on drew along a small creek and there was a clearing there. "Is this a good place?" She wondered.

Last edited:
Musashi listened to the strong princess along the ride. "Well, I hope we're not one and done after this excursion, even if it's not for ninja training," he shared. "I bet you'd flip if I could show you some of my favorite otherworldly cities!" he speculated.

Seeing the clearing, the samurai agreed, "Yea this is a good spot to rest." He dismounted and started to remove a tent and blankets from his little physics-defying belt pouch. He even produced a small quantity of hay as he suggested, "Campbell and Daisy are gonna need their strength too. I should have a good bit of water stored in here as well." Finally, he started to gather a few modest sized rocks to arrange in a circle as he volunteered, "I'll grab some wood from a fallen tree branch," while heading back into the trees a short distance.

Back
Top Bottom