Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Princess and The Thief-Apparent (Innocent Anathema & SuperSaiyanMusashi)

SuperSaiyanMusashi

Super-Earth
A lovely summer sun bathed the beautiful kingdom in its gentle light that afternoon, from the castle's highest steeple to the lush green forests outside the bustling city. Up at the gates of the mighty stone castle, an odd, blue-haired man in an equally odd white karate gi spoke with the guards at the entrance. "State your business," one burly officer commanded.
"Oh..I'm..here on a trade route, yeah." Musashi stammered. "I'd..like to talk with the King, Queen, or Chancellor about opening up trade with the country I'm from.
"And those swords?" the armored soldier interrogated.
"They're some of the wares I've come to show!" the samurai lied. "Some of the very best in existence!" he assured. That much was true at least,
"Very well, but a sergeant shall accompany you!" the doorman consented, signalling for another officer to come.
"This way, sir," the sergeant instructed.

Musashi followed the stern soldier inside the superstructure for several minutes, curiously looking for a way downstairs. Upon seeing a spiral stairwell, he shoved his accompanying officer aside and bolted for it as the sergeant shouted, "Uff, Hey!"

The devious samurai used his air jump to quickly descend to a lower level. Looking around, he soon saw what he was after inside an ornate room behind locked doors: it was a golden scepter with many engraved runes, bearing a large beautiful blue sapphire on the top. He ran and smashed the doors down, showing an inhuman level of strength. He ran towards the center where the wand rested atop a small pillar, but was slowed down when a crossbow bolt flew out of the side of the room through a small slot and pierced his side as he winced, "Ahh!" Trying to fight the pain, he charged on and grabbed the magic rod, but as he did, an odd mist flowed out of the stand, causing him to cough and his vision to blur.

Upstairs, a loud clatter of bells pervaded. Numerous guards reacted, marching into and around the impressive palace, covering any visible exits. Several went down into the treasure holds to meet the thieving swordsman.

Adrenaline pumping hard, Musashi stepped out of the scepter's chamber, where he was met by several strong soldiers. He jumped up, where he was about to be met with a swinging halberd until he performed an air jump to avoid it. His double-jump placed him behind the lead guard, who he grabbed by the shoulder pads and threw into the rest of the pack, causing them to lose their footing. Musashi jumped over the pile of downed troops and worked his way halfway up the stairs, where a sword wielder met him. Not wanting to injure the lawman, Musashi grabbed his slimmer sword but kept it in the sheathe. The 2 of them exchanged blocked blows briefly until Musashi landed a strike in the opposing man's side, which he followed up with an open-palm strike to the chest, knocking him into the wall. He hurried his way toward the main parlor, where 2 more officers met him head on. He started to fend off their slashes while looking for the exit, but then took a hilt-bump to the head, grunting "Oof!' when he took it. The sapphire-tipped scepter dropped out of his left hand. As he attempted to grab it again, his vision started to blur. The sleepy samurai tried to slap himself awake, but the tranquilizer on the bolt he was previously pierced with plus the sleeping mist he breathed earlier finally caught up with him as he nodded off and plopped onto the carpeted floor.

Stirring several hours later, the samurai found himself in a locked jail cell containing a mediocre bed. Not only was the scepter he sought no longer on him, but his 2 swords and belt pouch were missing as well. "Ah, damn!" he cursed. He also noticed that his legs were bound, limiting his ability to use his vast strength, though he could still walk slowly.

Juniper

Twinge! A drawing feeling blossomed inside her chest making it burn and delicate hands clutched together in front of it as she ducked her head trying to banish the feeling. That was before the warning bells sounded. A head of pale rose-colored hair lifted as she cast her eyes toward the door. "The sceptre..," was whispered off her lips. She stood from her studies and set the book aside lifting her skirts to hurry from the room. Out the door, down the stairs taking them two at a time as she felt like the sceptre call for her once more bringing with it more pain. This time, it staggered her. It was a blessing that she'd reached the bottom of the stairs and when the pain hit, she was able to simply cling to the wall and try to catch her breath. "I'm coming. Subside already," she whispered as she caught her bottom lip between her teeth.

This was the princess Juniper, youngest of three siblings with both a brother and a sister and she was also the sceptre's chosen bearer. Not that she wanted that burden but someone needed to do it. After a few moments passed, she had regained herself enough to start moving once more. Finally, the young woman made it down to the hallway just in time to see the guards hauling an unconscious man off. She looked curiously after the man and at all the commotion going on.

"Your highness, this man tried to steal the Royal Sceptre," one of the guards explained to her and offered her the artifact.

Her gaze turned critical on the artifact as she took it in hand feeling it through the bond that they shared. "It's fine but is anyone hurt?" She asked looking about. There were murmurs of agreement that all were fine, most sore but alive. "Good. See to the injured and rest. You've all done a fine job." That put her thoughts at ease and she set about returning the sceptre to its place. Her thoughts kept returning to the thief though. Why steal the sceptre? Other than it was a treasure made of gold and fine gems. Yet, everyone in the kingdom knew the power that it held and the reason why it was protected. How it was tied to the royal family. So, this thief must be an outsider. Yet... what was his motive?

It was later that she had her way into the dungeons. She was almost to the cell, where the thief was being kept but the last guard was standing pretty stubbornly in her way. "I need to go in there and see him. You need to let me pass, Raul."

Raul looked uncomfortable having to deny the princess anything. "It's not safe, your highness. I saw with my own eyes what this man was capable of. It was unreal."

Juniper sighed. "Yet no one died. If he's as strong as you say, then there's no way that is from sheer luck. I'd wager the man wasn't out to hurt anyone. Just get what he was after. Regardless, I will not allow someone to suffer because of poison. You will let me by and I will, at least, give him the antidote. Stand guard and listen if you must."

Raul heaved a sigh. "Fine but don't you breathe a word of this to your family or I'll be in for it! I am right here if you need me. No going in the cell either. No matter what he tells you!"

"I'll stick up for you, Raul," Juniper said with a sweet smile that nearly got her everything that she wanted. The man grunted and unbarred the door before unlocking it to open for her. She slipped inside carrying a tray and a candle. That way she could see better since there was little more than the torches on the walls that cast dancing shadows over the walls. The second cell in this block was the only one locked and she stopped a few feet before it peering inside as she set the candle down on a nearby table along with the tray. "Would you mind if I joined you?" She asked as she stepped a bit closer to the cell bars, well out of reach, of course. It was foolish of her to come down here alone but she had to have her questions answered.

She stood quietly watching him. The candlelight played over her form casting shadows over her body. She wasn't all that tall. Maybe 5' 4" and pretty average of build. Yet, she had a sweet, kittenish face with wide, warm brown eyes that were so light colored that they appeared golden. Her dress was an interesting concoction of a corset of dark blue that cradled her breasts together and lifted them. It showed off a bit of her midriff before a dark grey skirt claimed her hips. It was long in the back and short in the front showing off just a bit of thigh and some black boots that went to her knee. Her hair was pinned back from her face to tumble freely down her back and she had only a simple necklace of a silver chain with a oval locket on it. "I'm Princess Juniper Grace Jovana Rault and you would be called?"

Musashi curiously looked up upon hearing debating voices outside the hall, followed by a few delicate footsteps. He kept his attention to the door as a pretty girl wearing a sexy blue and gray dress entered. He looked to her eyes, seeing golden irises like none he had ever known before, and blushed a little despite being behind bars. Upon hearing her request he answered, "Um..sure. I mean, what've I got to lose?"

As she approached and introduced herself, Musashi looked back at her, impressed with her beauty, and feeling a kindness in her voice, yet at the same time concerned with his mission. He returned her introduction, "Oh wow, I never thought I'd meet a Princess in a place like this! It's an honor to meet you, my lady. I'm Musashi."

The disarmed samurai breathed slowly before apologizing, "I am sorry about the mess I made. There's trouble brewing in this kingdom or the next. Someone really unsavory is making sinister plans, and now has an Oni helping them push those plans. Whoever chose the Oni must be onto me because I wasn't able to track it's location. I heard the Royal Sceptre might be able to reveal the Oni's location, as well as the one who it bonded with."

Juniper

The princess regarded him curiously before nodding her head when he accepted her presence as if she expected that he'd do just that. Not that he had that much of a choice but the pink-haired woman would rather stay only if welcomed. Hostility really wasn't her cup of tea. She introduced herself politely with a smile. It may not have been her wisest bet to tell a criminal that he was with one of the country's princesses. No telling what ideas a desperate man may get like taking her hostage or something. Yet, Juniper found that she wasn't that worried. Concerned for her safety but she didn't get the feeling that this man had bad intentions.

When he gave his name, her gaze softened some. It was a name that she hadn't heard before yet, it had a pleasing sound to it. His apology and explanation made her blink as she went to fetch a cup of tea and a plate of food off the tray that she'd brought down here. "What is an oni?" She asked needing clarification since it was a new term but it didn't sound good. "Could you back away from the bars a moment? I brought you the antidote for the poison that you've sustained and while I feel like you may be a good person, I can't be reckless with my well-being. I shouldn't even be down here but I couldn't let you suffer when I can do something about it. Especially since you didn't critically injury any of my people even though you look more than capable." She waited patiently for him to move before coming closer and pushing the plate and teacup through the little opening that was in the door. She stepped back after a moment. "The sceptre would not have helped you, I'm afraid. It responds to only one person of its choosing."

Musashi looked at his beautiful visitor with a slight smile until poison was mentioned, making his eyes jump a bit as he thought, "So it was more than just tranquilizer, yikes!" He obeyed Juniper's request, sliding back, his legs still wrapped in a funny sack. Accepting the plate she slid in, the unarmed swordsman consumed the tea and food items upon it, hoping what the pretty girl said was true, that it would save him from the poison on the arrow. He then started to address her questions.

"Oni are malevolent spirits," Musashi started. "They seek out corrupt individuals, offering them amplified powers in hopes that the partner will use those powers to cause suffering, which they in turn, feed on," he shared. "My family's mission is to trap them and stop their spread. It's a responsibility that chose my father and aunt during an incident almost 30 years ago. They trained me and passed the mission onto me since then, and that's why I'm in this kingdom now," he explained. Then, pointing at his wristband, he added, "My wristband can track them, but I think the oni that's here knows I'm looking for it, because something's been scrambling my readings."

Musashi smiled upon learning that Juniper realized his intentions not to harm the guards beyond what was needed. "When I was attempting my escape, I sought to immobilize or disarm the arresting officers without injuring them. That was part of my training; to overcome opponents but not main, injure, or kill unless it can't be avoided. That's why I kept my swords in their sheaths."

Musashi sighed, and almost laughed a little upon learning the staff would not have helped him. "Man..dad always told me I was too impulsive. Guess he was right, huh?" Learning that the staff chooses its wielder, and that Juniper seemed to know this fact well, the prisoner asked, "Princess Juniper..are you the scepter's chosen wielder?"

Juniper

The princess watched him with the food and drink as she sat at the small table. Neatly, she arranged her skirt and crossed her ankles as she listened to him. Oni sounded scary to her and she really didn't want to meet one. Yet, if he was telling the truth, he had to be here to track one. Here? In her home? That worried her to no end. Her home was mainly peaceful and they had their own issues to deal with. She had to admit that her heart was beating faster with nerves at the idea.

She tilted her head to the side listening as he confirmed that he'd intentionally not seriously hurt anyone. Taking a breath, she nodded her head. "Thank you for that." She'd mentioned that the sceptre wouldn't help him since it was bonded to one person. His laugh made her smile a bit. It was a nice sound from him and brightened his face even if he was laughing at the irony. "I guess so," she agreed at his being impulsive. His next question caught her off-guard. Those pretty golden eyes of hers widened a tad and she lifted her chin. "What makes you say that I'm the sceptre's chosen?" She asked. How could he have pegged her so easily? She hadn't quite thought that she'd been that obvious about it. She took a deep breath. "Can you prove that the oni is the reason that you were trying to steal the sceptre? It's not only valuable to our country but a part of my country in more ways than one. It's tied in spiritually and magically."

Musashi couldn't help but blush a little and glance periodically when the pink-haired princess moved her ankles, bringing attention to her sexy legs. Regaining focus, he looked back at her golden eyes and listened to her questions. "Well, I guess I don't know it for certain, but that only the one chosen can wield it is something I imagine few people other than the wielder would know." he theorized. "And you seem particularly interested in what happens to it," he added. "I mean, it's normal that a princess would care about national treasures, but still," he stammered.

Musashi thought for a few moments about how to show her there was an Oni somewhere in the lands. He finally decided to make an offer that would require trusting her. He removed his wristband, then shuffled to the prison bars and offered it to her. "My wristband will warm up and give little squeezes to indicate the presence of an oni. Due to some kind of weird magic at work, it can only get a garbled reading right now," he explained. "Just give it a little tap and you'll feel it," he guided. "But maybe, if the true wielder of the scepter were to wear it and invoke the right magic, it can power through the haze and locate the person who partnered with the greater oni." he theorized. "If it points to a corrupt or tyrannical individual, then we'll know!" he offered.

Juniper

Those golden eyes of her narrowed thoughtfully. "You're clever to have deduced that, Musashi." She took a deep breath considering. "I am the sceptre's chosen one." She said with a little sigh. It wasn't something that she'd particularly wanted since it tied her down with a lot of responsibilities but it was what it was. That was something that she couldn't change.

She was surprised when he offered her his wristband. It crossed her mind that it could be a trap but she was a bit more optimistic that he was trying to earn her trust. She stood and went closer before accepting the wristband from him. "Do you think that it'll work for me?" She asked thoughtfully before putting it on her wrist. The thing pulsed on her skin and warmed slightly just as he said. Her eyes widened at the feeling as she looked back to him in surprise. It was a moment before she felt the sceptre reach for her through their connection and her arm was drawn physically outward to her left. "That way?" Her eyes met his. "I believe you." She considered a moment before taking the band off and holding it out to him. "I will have to see if I can get you out of here."

Musashi observed Princess Juniper's actions with the wristband and sceptre, telling her "I think so; it is a family artifact, but dad, Aunt Kaede, and I aren't actually blood relatives." regarding her question, ultimately smiling with relief when it was revealed that the 2 items did in fact work together and allow them to overcome the magical distortion. He returned her gaze and smiled when she confided her belief in him and his armlet.

His eyes lit up with hope upon hearing she would attempt to secure his release. "Yes, please, Princess!" he hoped. "Before you do, there's something else you should know about Oni," he advised. "They can mutate other people and animals depending on the relation," he explained. "If the original greater oni has people that work for him or her, they can be mutated into lesser oni, but if they have close relationships, like family members, confidants, or even longtime pets, they can generate additional greater oni!" he warned.

Juniper

Juniper was pretty surprised that the wristband had worked for her at all. He worried her with his talk of oni's being able to make more oni. This didn't sound good at all to her. If some creature like that was roaming around the countryside, what sort of havoc was it causing? Who was being hurt? The worry was pretty obvious in her eyes.

"I can get you out without too much trouble but you'll need the sceptre to make your wristband work? Won't you?" She took a deep breath considering. "And the sceptre doesn't work without me. That means that I'll have to go with you." She shook her head lightly. "I'm no warrior, Musashi. I feel like I'll slow you down. I don't think just pointing you in the right direction of the oni will be enough, will it?" She ran a hand through her hair unsure. "To tell you the truth, I've never been off the palace grounds because of the sceptre." Just what was the world like out there?

Last edited:
Keeping eye contact, Musashi nodded, understanding Juniper's concerns about the dangers involved. "I understand your concerns, but I need to be able to track the Oni. I'll make sure to protect you from anything hostile," he promised. He then a bit more about what Juniper might be capable of, prompting him to suggest, "Maybe you can help more than you realize. I don't know how long you've trained with the scepter or if you've discovered all the magic it can wield." Breathing out again, the swordsman lamented, "Well, all I know is that I stand a better chance of saving this kingdom with your help than without!"

Finishing his current thoughts, he offered, "I'll wait for you to secure my release. Then we can start investigating together? Seeing as I know Oni and you know this kingdom." He kept his gaze upon her golden eyes, still awestruck with her beauty but focused on his mission at the same time.

Juniper

Juniper was hesitant to agree. "I don't know. My grandfather was the last chosen one for the sceptre and he died on the day that I was born. I don't know too much about it other than what I read from the old text. A lot of what I do with it is instinctual." There were a lot of things that the texts had said that the sceptre could do. Whether or not she could pull it off would be another story.

She flashed him a smile even if it was a little shy and sad. "I'll be as quick as I can. I'm sorry that it's not better accommodations. Try to rest though. That antidote will need time to work fully on you." She nodded her head respectfully. "I will hopefully see you later." She gathered up skirt and the candle. Then she thought better of it. "I'll leave this down here. It's a bit too dark. I'll see that they send you down some more food as well."

Last edited:
"Hmm..," Musashi pondered as Juniper revealed her limited knowledge of the legendary staff. "Well, I guess if I went with the wisdom I got from my father, the solution to discovering any unrealized talent is training!" he suggested. "I'm sure the old texts have something helpful to read as well."

Still feeling a little funky from the poison, the samurai agreed, "I will." He then addressed the lovely lady, "And Princess Juniper," he paused for moment, hoping she would meet his eyes, "Thank you. I always respect people who listen." He saw her start to leave before briefly turning back and offering light and food. His eyes lit up a little at the promise of food, due to his love of all things edible. He looked into her golden eyes with a bright smile upon hearing the promise. When she finally took her leave, he watched as her pretty skirts bounced with her walk.

He lied down into the makeshift bed and rested his eyes, in hopes that the food tray, or Princess Juniper would soon return.

Juniper

Juniper did have a lot to take care of now with having to find a way to spring Musashi from prison. and familiarize herself with the sceptre's properties once more. He thanked her and it brought a little smile to her face. "That is how one becomes wise is by listening." Those pretty eyes of hers held his for a moment. "Please feel better. I'll be in touch soon as soon as I can."

With that, she swept up the stairs and thank goodness, Raul had a long night the day before. The bloke had fallen asleep at his post and not heard a word of what she and Musashi had been talking about. She woke him and assured him all was well before hurrying to the kitchens. She asked one of the chefs to bring some of tonight's dinner to their prisoner. He needed convincing but she assured him that it was all right.

Her father would not be as easy to convince to release him. It took her the better part of an hour to convince him. He only agreed on the condition that Musashi would be escorted to the crossroads outside of the city. That way he could be on his way and be away from the capital. Juniper really couldn't ask for much more than that. Her only issue was going to be meeting up with him later and getting the sceptre.

Last edited:
Hearing the sounds of ceramic on stone, Musashi peeked up to see an assistant chef accompanied by an officer who Musashi happened to have dueled with earlier. The cook explained, "Musashi, is it? Her royal highness Princess Juniper asked me to bring this to you."

The voracious samurai's eyes lit up, "Oh thank you much, sir! And thank Princess Juniper too!"
The accompanying officer looked curiously at the blue-haired samurai. "You kept your swords in their scabbards when we clashed. I still think you're a common criminal..albeit with some uncommon talents..but I guess you're no killer, huh?"
Musashi nooded, keeping a respectful eye contact. "Well, I'd love to show how this all came to be, but the short version..yeah, I don't kill unless there's no other way out of it."
The curious soldier gave a "Hmm," before finishing, "You're a strange one, outsider. We'll be here to remove you from the city tomorrow morning."
"Great, thanks, sir!" Musashi appreciated as the cook and guard took their leave.

Since his only company at that point was other prisoners, Musashi just devoured the amazing dinner served to him. "Oh man! I hope I'm not locked out of here forever; these chefs are amazing!" he opined.

Feeling ever better as Juniper's antidote had continued to work harder, Musashi lay upon the flat bed and dozed off into his food-coma. As the morning sun rose, a tapping on the metal bars awoke the sleeping samurai. This time 3 castle soldiers appeared, one was carrying Musashi's 2 swords Fusion and Lumina wrapped in thick peace-bondings, along with his belt pouch. "Come on, stranger, time to leave town." ordered the leader.

Musashi got up to comply as one of them removed his leg bindings but tied his hands up in chains. He calmly walked alongside the armed knights as the brought him upstairs, out of the main gates, through the capitol's main thoroughfare, and eventually to the field outside. When they finally arrived in the sun-touched plain, the officer carrying Musashi's effects gently placed them on the grass. "You received a royal pardon, boy, so no more funny business, y'understand?" he sternly checked.

"No more, sir. Promise!" Musashi assured the officer.
"Good," he strong man agreed. "Just to make sure, we made it so that you'll need a good half-hour to unbind those swords," he explained as he removed the chains but replaced them with a somewhat weak knot of ropes. "And that'll take you a couple minutes too; we'll be long gone by then," he added.
"Fair enough," the white-clad fencer agreed.

As the troops returned to the city, Musashi began working on the knots that bound his wrists, all the while hoping he would see Princess Juniper again, and find a way to succeed on his mission.

Juniper

Juniper had watched from the window of her room as Musashi had been led away. A soft sigh left her. There was still so much to do but at least, he was safe for now. She could only hope that he would wait for her. If he did not, well, then, she could always return to the castle. It took the better part of the day as she went through her daily routine and took spare moments to pour over the ancient text about the sceptre. It was late in the evening when she'd crept from her room and made her way down to the stables. Thankfully, the stable lad was too busy rolling a maid in the hay to notice that she'd saddled her horse and led the creature out. She'd slipped out a side gate during the change of the guard and pulled a cloak over her head. Riding through the city at night was nerve-wracking to say the least. She avoided people the best that she could and somehow, she made it out of the city and onto the travelling roads. Of course, she wasn't sure just how safe that would be for one young woman to be travelling alone, let alone the kingdom's youngest princess.

The moon was just rising over the horizon and the sky was a velvety darkness cast over with stars. It was beautiful and caught her eye for a long moment as the wind lifted her cloak away from her face for a moment. It felt cool and welcome. Her pale white shirt and brown skirt weren't eye-catching since she needed to blend in. The cloak that she had on only went to mid-back and was tan in color. Her horse was a rather ordinary bay. This had all been done to not draw attention to herself. Those golden eyes of hers scanned about the area of the crossroads. Had he waited or given up on her? She wondered how she'd find him if he had moved on? That was probably going to be near impossible if that was the case. "Musashi?" She called his name and looked about cautiously. "Musashi?"

A lone rider appeared out of the shadows and rode toward her. She brightened up thinking that it was him. He'd waited! Her heart felt lighter at the idea. "You came!" She said happily and started toward him but the sight of dirty blonde hair stopped her short. "Who... who are you?" She asked trying not to let the worry show in her voice.

"Thought you could use some company, girl. You look cold. I can warm you up." He leered at her and reached out to try to touch her face.

Juniper pulled her horse back so that she was out of his reach. "No... no thank you. I'm perfectly fine." Her heart was thudding. She shouldn't have come since she really had no idea about the outside world. She moved her horse on down the road heading out across a field toward a forest. The man followed her with a laugh.

"You're waiting for someone, girl? A lover perhaps?" His horse matched hers no matter how fast that she tried to ride away. "Seems he's deserted you. A pretty thing like you shouldn't be alone in the dark. Maybe you should look for a new lover."

Juniper was actually starting to get frightened now. Her eyes darted about. If Musashi was really gone, then she needed to figure this thing out. Look at her options but fear was holding her back from thinking rationally. She did the one thing that she could think of. She called for him again. "Musashi!!!"

Left to his own in the late afternoon, Musashi started working on removing the ropes around his wrists His short fingers seemed unable to reach the weak spot in the knot. For a moment, he tried to just snap them with his superstrength, but he was unable to move his arms sufficiently far to utilize that power. Looking around, he saw a signpost at a crossroads point. Walking up to it and locating a mildly sharp corner on it, he started sawing on the ropes by rubbing them against it. Hour laters, the rope had finally worn thin enough to remove easily. Musashi grunted, "Several minutes, huh?" quoting the escorting guards from earlier. All the while, the sun had started setting.

He then turned his attention to his peace-bonded swords. His first instinct was to try ripping them open, only to find that the fabric and bindings were quite stretchy and did not rip so easy. Growing a little, he started working on the knots, but found it rather difficult for his fingers to get a good grip on them. "They really wanted to slow me down here," he determined. Still, focused on freeing the swords, he headed over to the edge of a nearby forest with them. After looking around for awhile, he saw a fallen tree branch he was able to snap in half, creating a slightly sharper wooden edge. He used the edge to work on the ropes binding his swords until the stick broke, at which point he use the newly exposed broken wood to work on it. After much slow work, he managed to loosed the padded bag around Fusion, leaving only the scabbard covering it. He then stuffed the bonding into his belt pouch, which few people realized was bigger on the inside. Re-affixing Fusion to his belt, he unsheathed the curved katana and quickly severed the ropes keeping Lumina's peace-bonds in place. Again he stuffed the paddings into his belt pouch and then put Lumina back on his back before re-sheathing Fusion.

Satisfied with finally freeing himself and his weapons, Musashi looked up and realized that evening had arrived. Man, that took all day!" he observed. He didn't have long to think about it before the sound of voices caught his attention. One of them sounded familiar and sweet. "Juniper?" he wondered out loud. He started to walk towards their sound, but then he heard the gallops of horses soon followed by the female voice again, only this time it was louder and more urgent. Eyes narrowing with focus, he ran towards the sound of her shout. Drawing closer, he saw one rider chasing another. Thinking fast, he pulled out Lumina followed by a small scroll bearing a triangular yellow symbol.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oHh8qgkjJ74/hqdefault.jpg

"Lumina, Earth Scroll Power!" the samurai commanded. He then struck the ground with his heavy sword triggering a small earthquake between the 2 riders, hoping it would trip up the pursuing horse. Seeing the chasing figure's steed start to lose hoofing, Musashi ran over to where he fell. Standing several feet back from the ruffian, he intimidated, "Back off, stalker!"

Juniper

Suddenly, there was a rumble behind her that wasn't hoofbeats of either horse. Her mount bucked hard trying to unseat her but she held on. "Easy! Easy, girl." She tried to calm the mare down. The horse danced off the side of the road with wide, fearful eyes. She stroked the horse's neck soothing the beast somewhat as she looked back to see that the man chasing her had fared worse. His horse had bucked him off and ran off. The man was knocked onto his butt in the dirt. Served him right for being creepy.

Those golden eyes of hers caught sight of Musashi and the relief that she felt was immediate. The biggest part being that she wasn't alone and well, she did feel as though she could trust him. That was just from her initial meeting with him. Naive as that may be to put her faith out there so soon but if all that he'd said was the truth, all of this was warranted.

The man scrambled back from Musashi after only one look at him. "Oiy, I don't have any beef with you. That your girl, eh? My mistake, man." Like a coward, he got to his feet quickly and ran off after his horse. His cursing at the animal trailed behind him and certainly didn't sound inviting to even a horse to draw near him.

After he'd gone, Juniper had jumped down from her horse and crossed the distance between them. The princess didn't hesitate at all before she threw herself into his arms like they were old friends. "You came! I'm so very thankful. I... I was scared... So very scared," she whispered fervently. There was a shiver holding onto her body that wouldn't quit. Her hands rested lightly on his upper arms as she buried her face against his chest. It was rather obvious that she was still rattled from the whole incident and what might of happened. "Thank you for saving me." It was probably at this moment that it was rather noticeable just how petite that she was. Poor, frightened little dove.

Musashi stared down the creepy rider until he was well out of sight, at which point he put his swords away and turned around, to be quickly met by the comforting hug of his friend the princess. "Oh," he reacted before returning her hug, gently rubbing and patting her back. When she rested her head in his strong chest, he lightly stroked her long pink hair. "Sorry you ohad to deal with that weirdo," he sympathized. "Glad you're safe now," he appreciated. He noticed at this time that while her new outfit didn't have the eye-catching beauty of her regal gown, it appeared practical for adventuring purposes, and the dark skirt was still attractive in its own way.

He gave the frightened girl ample time to rest in his comforting embrace before starting to plan. "Earlier you got a fix on the Oni's direction, right?" he checked. "What lies out that way?" he asked. "Or perhaps this can be figured out with a little wisdom. Oni look for corrupt, tyrannical individuals to be their partners. Does that sound like anyone you've heard about?" he inquired.

Finally, he took note of the late hour, "It's already night time. I probably shouldn't return to the castle or capitol city for awhile; is there another town we could reach before too long? Or are we roughing it tonight?"

The princess slowly calmed down until she realized the social faux pas that she'd made and backed away from him. "Oh, I'm so sorry for imposing, Musashi but thank you for what you did." She clasped her hands in front of her really unable to look up since she was blushing from embarrassment. She'd really been overly forward and out of line by doing that.

Right, they needed a plan. She thought carefully for a moment. "The only person that I know in the direction that your wristband pointed is my uncle Marcus." She thought a moment. "He doesn't really care for my family. I think he's bitter that he didn't inherit the throne or the sceptre." She rubbed her upper arms lightly feeling chilled by the idea of one of her own possibly wishing harm on others. "I hope that he's not doing this though."

She glanced about with a soft sigh. "We can't stay in the capital. I'm sure that they'll come looking for me soon enough. I'm just hoping that they don't put it together that I'm with you." She took a deep breath. "They'll be more riled up when I summon the sceptre too. I left it there for now." She ran a hand over her head and into her hair. "The next town is a good twenty minute ride. Probably a half hour since my horse would be carrying double. Do you want to try for it?"

"Oh, no, it's no trouble at all!" Musashi assured the pretty girl. "I like hugs!" he shared, blushing a little bit himself.

"Uncle Marcus, huh?" he checked. "I guess it's never easy having the first suspect be a family member," the samurai sympathized. "Still, it sounds like we'll have to investigate him. Throne or no, he's still a prince, right? Probably has a few troops and weapons of his own?"

Musashi looked at Juniper curiously when she mentioned her plans to summon the scepter. "Oh, you can summon it remotely?" he asked. "No need to run back and grab it?"

The adoring swordsman blushed a little as the pretty princess tossed her long, healthy, pink hair. Refocusing he agreed, "Half hour ride is no trouble; long as your steed can handle it."

Following her to the mount, he climbed on behind her. His strong hands held aloft over her slender waist, he asked, "May I?"

Juniper's face was still red as he mentioned that her throwing herself into his arms hadn't bothered him in the least. She nodded her head lightly. "I am glad that I didn't offend you and I do feel better." There was still the fact that she was of nobility, of marriageable age and unescorted with a man that the guards had caught as a thief. Her mother would roll over in her grave if she knew. That woman was always so prim and proper.

The only person that she could think of in that direction that bore the country any ill will was her uncle and that was a dismaying though. Musashi's sympathy was helpful but that wouldn't be an easy thing to determine either. It's not like she just confront him over it. "We'll see, I guess. He is the Duke of Trenton and yes, he has his own keep and troops."

"The sceptre is blood-bonded to me." She lifted her chin a bit before shrugging. "It will answer my call. I just thought that it'd draw more attention if both myself and the sceptre disappeared at the same time." A thought occurred to her. "Actually, I may be able to leave a decoy now that I think about it." Juniper did know a lot about the sceptre and what it could do. She just hadn't used a lot of those functions. So lack of experience. Closing her eyes a moment, she gave an unspoken summons and explained to the thing that a forgery in its place would be wise. A moment passed and a glow came to her hand before the magical sceptre just appeared in her hand. "Huh, maybe I should've done that when you took it." She chuckled at the idea. "Of course, I wasn't thinking too straight with it calling me. It hurts," she glared at the thing before tying it to her belt.

That was beside the point. They needed to get a move on and she nodded mounting the horse before he hopped up behind her. "We'll get there," she said determinedly and then noticed that he'd reached out to hold her waist but hadn't yet. She glanced over her shoulder. "Sure, you can hold on." Of course, now she was thinking about him needing to do that and now, she was blushing of all things. Great. She nudged the horse into a canter once he'd taken her waist and they set off across the field and into the forest. It was a nice evening and at least, the moon was full to help light the way. The woods were still a little spooky to her. Of course, she was coming to the edge of where she was familiar as well. "You ride? We can find a mount for you in town." She offered.

The crafty samurai listened carefully to what the friendly princess had informed of regarding Duke Marcus. "We'll have to watch his staff carefully. If he is in fact who were looking for, he's probably already turned most of his soldiers and attendants into lesser oni." he theorized. "The good news is that we can save them," he shared in optimism. "It'll just be painful," he added as a caveat.

Musashi watched as the powerful princess brought her sapphire scepter to her side. "Oh wow that's amazing!" he complimented. "I wonder how long untl anyone back at the castle notices," he thought out loud. "Is there anyone besides you who could tell it from a replica? Like someone who has studied it without being chosen as wielder, or if you had someone mentor you on how to use it?" he wondered. "For that matter: I'm guessing someone at the castle knows how to disarm and rearm the traps in the scepter's chamber?"

With the pretty girl's permission now granted, Musashi held onto her waist, giving a sort-of hug from behind as the mighty mare started to move.
Bright moonlight slightly eased the darkness of the heavy forest as Juniper's steed worked its way along the path. The varied trees were tall and heavy, their numerous leaves allowing little light inside. Crickets, owls, and other nocturnal critters could be heard chatting with one another in their own secret language.

"I think I rode a horse once," Musashi recalled. "I'd need a quick lesson if I were to try again," he admitted. "I'm sure I'd learn real fast!" he confidently declared. Thinking back to her little chase as the journey to the next town carried on, the samurai shared and asked, "I can tell this isn't your first rodeo. You had a good riding teacher didn't you?"

Soon, more moonlit meadows could be seen up ahead as the forest exit came into sight. Further off, the lights of the next town flickered.

"We can save them?" She questioned. That was a bit uplifting to think of. If there really an evil like he'd told her, then saving even one life was enough. She just had to be brave and not give up. That was something that she could do certainly even if it made her a little nervous. She had to try.

It was an easy thing for her to summon the scepter really. "The only person that knew about the sceptre beside me was my grandfather and he passed when I was born. I doubt anyone knows how to tell the difference between a fake and this. We'll see and the traps are reset with a key."

As they rode through the moonlit woods, her thoughts wandered between making conversation with Musashi. "It's not too hard once you know the basics and act like a leader. Horses are natural followers." She had to admit that the way that he was holding onto her waist was making her feel a little more confident riding through this bit of unknown territory. "I've been riding since I was four." She glanced at him over her shoulder. "I can show you if you like."

There were fireflies out in the grass and they caught her gaze. "Oh... they're so pretty." She watched them for a moment fondly before laughing to herself. "Never thought that I'd be out on adventure with you when I first saw you." She looked toward him once more. "You can call me Juniper or June if you like. Probably best to avoid titles while we're out here."

Continuing the pleasant horse-ride through the woods and subsequent meadow, Musashi happily answered Juniper's question about saving people from oni-induced mutations, "Yes. "Killing", that is, inflicting mortal wounds upon a person or animal that's been turned into an oni will return them to normal and heal all wounds sustained during the mutation. That's why when faced with them, I don't hold back."

Listening to her offer, Musashi agreed, "Yes, definitely show me! I love learning new things!" He smiled back at her when she looked back, again with a little blush, looking into her bright golden eyes as best he could given that they were on a horse. As a little family of flickering fireflies was seen, Musashi looked upon them as well, then focusing back to Juniper. "Yeah, funny how these things happen. I guess they have a way of choosing us," he offered.

"Juniper," he repeated, smiling over the fact that a princess had invited him to more familiar terms. Soon after, he observed, "Ah, we've arrived!" noticing the town come into view. Looking to Juniper he realized, "Much to do. At some point we'll need to rest up and see about that riding lesson. We could ask around to see if anyone has signs of odd activity, especially if it's connected to Duke Marcus. We also...!" Musashi's sentence was cut off by a funny feeling in his stomach and a little noise to go with it. "Hey June, how does dinner sound to you?" he asked. Despite the necessity, he felt like he was effectively asking the princess on a date.

Back
Top Bottom