Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures on the Lost Continent (Midnight Lass x Blood Red Romeo)

"Well, which do you want first?" Tamra asked. "Lunch, or having your fortune told?"

“Oh, we’re going to eat their cooking. Even better,” Orson said cheerfully. “In that case, let’s do the Tarot card reading first, then we can discuss the results over lunch. Sound good?”

"Absolutely," Tamra responded, then looked up at the clock tower adjacent to Steam and Air. "Actually, we may want to go now. If we wait until after the Tarot reading, the lunch counter at Welkins pharmacy may be closed. Hang on a second." Tamra motioned for the attention of a street urchin, who ran up to her and Orson expectantly.

"I need you to deliver a message to the owner of Basta's Curiosities, and tell her that Dr. Wilson and a companion will be there in a couple of hours, and we will need a reading. You know the shop, don't you? The one in the Eastern Quarter?"

The young lad nodded and, as soon as Tamra gave him a couple of coins, was off like a shot.

"So, let me introduce you to one of the best cooks in town," Tamra told Orson. As she led him to the aforementioned drug store, she added, "I did tell I might be able to get us a native guide, didn't I?"

“You won’t hear me complaining. I didn’t have much in the way of breakfast,” he replied, continuing to follow the professor. He had chosen Tarot first on a whim. There was no problem with waiting until after their meal. And the way she promised that it was some of the best in the city made his mouth water.

“You did,” he replied. “I’m guessing that this cook is also the guide?”

"Oh, no, I ran across Vu by accident," Tamra explained. "The last expedition I went on...mind you, no further than base camp, but still..." Tamra said with a shrug. "Anyway, one of the team leaders, during one of the many preparatory meetings, sent me out for doughnuts. This was when I was fairly new to the city, and I had no idea where to find doughnuts, or any kind of bakery, for that matter. That's when one of the typists for the Department suggested I try the lunch counter at Welkins pharmacy. The cook there makes breakfast pastries as well, and sets them out in the morning. And they were unbelievably good. Vu's family moved her from French Indo-China when she was a little girl. Her father was classical trained to be a chef in a French colonial official's home, while her mother was a baker. The family runs their own restaurant, but Vu does the lunch counter on her own during the day, and works at the family's restaurant in the evening."

"As for the guide," Tamra continued, as her and Orson rounded the corner, with Welkin's pharmacy just down the street, "You know the natives of the Lost Continent keep to themselves. And as long as you don't enter one of their forbidden areas, you don't have to worry about your party being overwhelmed by a shower of poisoned darts. Anyway, it was early morning, and all of the teams were out. Theoretically, I was the senior team leader at the base camp while all the other archaeologists were out in the field. But as I told you earlier, I was there mainly to catalog and coordinate. Except that morning, a group of natives showed up, led by a young shamaness. And her honor guard was completely in awe of her. She walked straight up to me and started talking English. Well, pidgin English, and what little I knew of her language, we understood each other. Except we didn't have a conversation. She asked me a few questions, seemed satisfied with what she learned, and then her and her entourage promptly disappeared."

When Tamra entered the drugstore, she immediately led Orson to a section with seats at a counter and a few tables. The early lunch crowd had already settled in.

"Xin chao, Vu," Tamra shouted to a young Vietnamese woman behind the counter, cooking at a grill. "Tamra!" the woman (presumably Vu) shouted back, waving happily. "Take a seat at the corner, I'll come take your orders in a couple of minutes."

Tamra led Orson to the table in question before continuing her story.

"So, I don't know for sure, but I think if we return to that beach, we might be able to get ourselves a guide," Tamra concluded. "At least, it can't hurt to try. Say, do you trust me enough to let me order for both of us?

That did make sense. It’s be quite the strange combination for someone to be both a professional chef and a guide amongst native people in the lost continent. He did feel a little silly for suggesting it. But he suspected Tamra probably understood where his confusion was coming from.

Approaching the lunch counter, he was hit with the smell. And at least to him, it smelled good. He even got a chance to see the chef in question and, of course, she was another attractive woman. Orson was beginning to suspect that none of the expeditions beyond the mountains succeeded because all the most talented people were women, but no crew was willing to take them on. Of course, he didn’t mind. More glory for him and his crew.

“I mean, I’m already trusting you with uncovering the secrets of the lost continent, but trusting you with my meal might be a bit much,” he teased, giving the woman a friendly smile. “I’m joking. I’ll have whatever you order for me.” Honestly, Orson was excited. He wondered what sort of cooking Vu did. Was it Vietnamese? French? Or maybe a variety of many styles? There was only one very delicious way to find out.

Vu chose that moment to come over to the table, two glasses of iced tea in her hand. She gave Orson and Tamra a bright smile as she set the glasses down.

"Sweet mint tea?" Tamra asked brightly. Vu nodded and smiled. "And what will you and your friend be having?"

"Whatever the sandwich special of the day is," Tamra answered.

Vu nodded her head and disappeared.

"The way they were talking, the twins should be done with their modifications in three days time," Tamra said. "But to be honest, I sometimes have a hard time following them. Between now and then, do you want to have a sit down with the crew about your plans? I can get us one of the planning rooms at the University, complete with charts."

The sandwich of the day? He had to admit, that wasn’t the type of thing he would usually order. Guess this was its own type of little adventure. And so far, he liked Vu. If nothing else, she had a great smile.

“That would be perfect. There are some important things we’ll need to review, just so everyone understands what we’ll be doing. Plus, we’ll need to discuss some of the more...unpleasant things that we can’t ignore,” Orson replied. It was true, not everything about expeditions was dreams and adventures. There was hard reality that had to be dealt with.

He grabbed his glass, taking a drink. “Please tell me she makes this herself,” he started before taking another drink. “I think I’ll cry if I can’t have this again,” he continued, having returned to his cheery mood.

“Tamra, I have something to ask you. Max mentioned it earlier, and I think he’s right. So far you’re resourceful, you’re smart, you know how to take initiative, and everyone knows and respects you. I was hoping you’d be willing to be my second-in-command,” he said, looking at her hopefully. He meant it. She’d be a perfect person to assist him in keeping the Midnight Curse in line.

"I...yes," Tamra said, then repeated it with strength. "Absolutely yes. I accept." She said, extending her hand to seal the deal with a handshake.

"And Vy does make her own teas," she added. "Different recipe for each day. Same with the specials. And here comes the special for the day,"

Vu approached the table with two plates. The sandwich of the day was spaghetti with a thick red sauce, sandwiched between two thick pieces of garlic toast, each with a side of a garlic and Parmesan cheese fries. "Enjoy!" Vu said with a smile.

"I can only imagine what Miharu would look like eating this sandwich," Tamra laughed, as she removed the top layer of garlic bread and ate the interior with a knife and fork. "So, should I try to see if Vu is available?"

He shook her hand, finding himself even more thrilled. Tamra would make a great first mate. Ignoring the potential dirty pun, he was just happy to have someone that capable to work by his side.

He took a bite of the food. It was amazing. It was hard to explain, but everything about it was just perfect. “Do whatever it take to get her on board,” he responded. “We’ll also need to give her free reign on ingredients and menu.” Part of him also wanted to ask if she was single. A girl that looked like that and could cook like this? It’d be hard to find a better wife. But that would be inappropriate for now.

He then thought about Miharu eating this and he couldn’t avoid grinning. He imagined she’d love it. As he thought about that, he continued to chow down, though keeping himself going at a reasonable pace. Eventually and far too soon for his taste buds, the sandwich was gone, as was the tea. “You know some amazing people.”

"Wait until you meet Safa Basta," Tamra said with a laugh. "And I'm going to try my darndest to get Vu on board. She does this sandwich, called a Philadelphia or Pittsburgh....something like that, sliced roast beef, grilled onions and peppers...it has to be experienced to be believed. So, would you have any problems with your crew moving on board? It'll give me a chance, at least, for the de la Vega sisters to get me up to date on everything they're doing. And it's rather enjoyable, the way your airship has a little nook for everyone on board."

“Honestly? I’d prefer it,” he answered. “It’d help everyone get used to the ship and living together. Plus it’d make coordination easier. We could even do the planning on the bridge, rather than going to the university.” He had been considering it for a while, wanting to wait until the full crew had been assembled. But if she wanted to move in now, he was not going to complain. He’d contact everyone with the same offer, telling them to come over when they could.

“Tell me, are you looking to recruit this Safa Basra as well? I’m not complaining considering your judgement. I just want to make sure I know what I’m walking into.”

"I hadn't even considered recruiting Safa," Tamra said, a look of surprise in her eyes. "She's just always been an interesting source of information to me. Sort of like when you get the unabridged version of the tales Richard Burton brought back. Much, much different than the ones you were told as a tale. But recruiting Safa Basra, I don't know. And that's assuming you could budge her from the shop of hers, even if you were so inclined. Recruiting Safa Basra..."

"Well, that might be nigh impossible, particular concerning the necessary adjustments she'd have to make, such as the wearing of slacks," Tamra continued. "Even Nurse Costa, whose profession almost dictates the wearing of a dress, had no problem wearing slacks when she accompanied me to the eastern shores of the Lost Continent. And Doctor Motwani is undoubtedly going to want the female members of your crew to adapt certain ideas that Safa would probably consider anathema. So I don't see how Safa could possibly live with. Still, what an interesting idea," Tamra mused, obviously intrigued with the idea of traveling with the woman Orson had yet to meet.

"Well, let's finish our lunch and then I'll introduce her. At the very least, she'll give us a unique perspective on the incident this morning. Not necessarily the correct one, but a unique one," Tamra added.

Orson chuckled. Maybe he was getting over eager. Maybe he just had learned what to expect. Regardless, it was good to know that she wasn’t someone that Tamra was aiming to bring on the ship.

Orson had already finished his food, but had no problem waiting for Tamra to catch up as he just digested the excellent meal. When she had just about finished, he paid the bill in full. It was work related, so he was happy to pay. And it kind of made this feel like a date, which was enough to make him feel better as well, even if he had zero expectations of anything happening.

Lunch completed and Orson being much more satisfied, the pair returned to the streets, heading for Safa Basta. “So I was thinking,” he started, “about the Nurse Costa thing. Assuming the outside force idea is true, I think I realized something. I don’t think it can directly control people. Rather, I think it chooses an outcome and then makes it happen in a quick way. I mean, there were plenty of ways that this could’ve worked in a less obvious way. She works with Ayisha and with the twins and she knows you. I just think the approaching us out of no where option was obvious enough to raise suspicion,” he concluded. Orson lacked any confidence that this idea could hold any water, but it was at least something that had come to him. He wondered what Tamra thought.

"Captain James, I---" Tamra paused, then asked, "If you have no objection, would you mind if I were to address you by your given name? While we are on expedition, or around others, I can see the need for addressing you as Captain James, and you addressing me as Doctor Wilson, but I think we've become acquainted enough, even over such a short period, to address each other by our first names."

“You can call by whatever makes you most comfortable,” he replied. “I prefer calling you Tamra, if you don’t mind. It just feels, I don’t know, right, you know?” he asked. He was happy she had requested such a thing. It did make him feel a bit more comfortable with her.

"Well, as I was saying, Orson," Tamra continued, "I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed about making a big deal of the coincidence concerning Nurse Costa. Perhaps it was staged, and since Nurse Costa and Doctor Motwani aren't experienced prevaricators, it just came off odd. Anyway, here we are."

The Eastern Quarter of the City was the home of migrants from North Africa, as well as Western and Central Asia. The Quarter had a distinct flavor from the rest of the city. Shop signs were in English, Arabic script, Devanagari and a half a dozen other alphabets. There were carts and open air markets and easily more than a dozen languages and dialects being spoken. More than a few people came up to Tamra, greeting her in different languages and giving Orson a curious look. Tamra answered each speaker easily, often invoking a good humored laugh with her jesting replies.

Tamra led Orson to a store with a window displaying jars of various herbs and powders. The sign over the doorway was a blue scorpion, with the words over the sign in Arabian script, and the words below it in Devangari. As soon as Tamra entered the store, she was greeted by a young woman in a glowing dress, wearing a scarf over her hair and a translucent over her face. The woman immediately greeted Tamra in a musical language, which Tamra responded to in the same tongue.

The veiled woman pointed to Orson and asked Tamra a question. Tamra responded, which made the veiled woman laugh. She then said something directly to Orson, before turning, motioning for Orson and Tamra to join her in the tea room in back.

"That was Safa Basra," Tamra told Orson. "She wants us to have tea with her. And she wants you not to worry, as she'll be serving western style tea."

Orson didn’t buy it. He thought something was up. He still wasn’t sure exactly what, but talking with Tamra made him sure there was something amiss, however small. But he knew not to press the issue, instead focusing on the Tarot card reading he was about to have. He was impressed with the way Tamra moved throughout the crowd like a local. She must be a regular in this part of town. He imagined a pale man like himself really stood out in this crowd. But the looks didn’t bother him. He had traveled around and been to enough foreign cities that sticking out in a place where he couldn’t speak the language had been a common occurance.

Then they found the store in question and slipped inside. It truly did feel like a store from another world. It certainly wasn’t the type of place one would find down Main Street, that was for sure. Then there was Safa Basta, the veiled beauty (at least she appeared beautiful, from what he could see). He hoped Tamra hadn’t made him look too bad with whatever comment she made.

“Western tea? It’s almost like I’m back home,” he joked as he followed Tamra towards the back. When they arrived, he tried speaking to Asafa. He greeted and thanked her in French. It was rough, but understandable to someone who knew the language. He really hoped she spoke it. Not just so they’d have a method of communication, but because Orson wanted to have a private fortune reading without Tamra around, something that would be near impossible to do if they couldn’t communicate.

Safa brought out an English tea service and began pouring cups for the three of them. When Orson tried to talk French to her, she gave him a confused look, then said something to Tamra in her musical tongue.

"She says she wishes she spoke French, as it sounds really lovely," Tamra said. Tamra asked Safa something, and Safa shook her head no. Instead, she pointed to the tray of cream, lemon, sugar and cookies. "She says help yourself, but if you want my advise, don't touch the cookies with the little poppy seeds on top. I guarantee you, it will clean out your nasal passages."

Safa said something else, which got a quizzical look from Tamra. The two had a few minutes conversation, before Tamra turned to Orson. "So she says she has an answer to our situation this morning."

Orson inwardly cursed at the knowledge that she couldn’t speak French either. It wasn’t like it was something that Tamra couldn’t. Just...it was sort of embarrassing and kind of private. He didn’t want to alienate her, but some things were better done in private. He’d wait on it and see how effective her fortune telling was before he decided whether or not it was worth the risk.

“Thank you,” he said in regards to the warning about the cookie. He helped himself to one of the other ones as he began to gingerly drink his tea. He couldn’t help but compare it to Vu’s meal earlier. While this wasn’t bad or anything, it couldn’t help but come up short on the heels of such an amazing meal.

He sat there over the course of the conversation, drinking tea as his eyes darted between the two women that he could not understand a single word of. But eventually, Tamra switched back to English. “Please, do explain.”

"Well, Safa says she'll do a reading right here if you like," Tamra began, "But she says someone is trying to help us, so they're...well, it doesn't translate well from Bangla to English...someone is nudging people to make decisions to protect us...the expedition us, that is."

Tamra said a few more words to Safa, who looked straight at Orson and nodded emphatically.

Orson couldn’t help but give a sigh of relief. Hearing that there was someone trying to help them made him feel a lot better than the fear that this was an elaborate plot. “Let’s do the reading then,” he said with a satisfied look. “See if she can figure who is doing this. And why.” He had more questions, but he figured asking a million things right away wouldn’t be very productive. So he’d wait and see what the cards said.

Tamra said something to Safa, who nodded and took the tea service away. When she returned, she brought a deck of oversized cards whose backs were a sapphire blue and bore the same pyramid seal and was seen on American currency. She explained something in her musical language to Orson as she sat down opposite of him, then turned to Tamra for translation.

"She's explaining the history of the cards, and the fact that her cards are unique, even among those who can read the..." Tamra paused, trying to thing of a good translation "...currents of time with the cards. She's going to hand you the cards and you will need to cut the deck in three places, reassemble the deck in a new order, and then hand it back to her. She will lay out the cards in three rows of three, to reveal the past, present and future. And then, if you have a....burning question, you must ask her, and she can answer it with a tenth card. Oh, and do not look at the face of the cards while you cut them. That last part is very important."

Tamra said something to Safa, who nodded and handed the cards to Orson.

Orson was very careful as he cut the cards, doing exactly as he was told. He was extra sure that he didn’t look at any of the faces. If he was going to do this, might as well do it properly. With the deck properly cut, he passed it back to the mystic in front of him.

“So you say I must ask her, do you mean that if I want to ask her something extra, it has to be then? Or that if I want to ask something extra, I have to ask it? No passing allowed?” He hoped that wasn’t the case. The answer could undermine his authority. But he wasn’t the type to mess with spirits. If he had, he would, and he would just hope for the best.

Tamra asked Safa something, and the other woman replied, looking at Orson meaningfully.

"She says if you wish to ask, you must, if you wish to see the tenth card," Tamra said, then looked back at Safa, confused. "And she says that you should not let your pride prevent you from asking.

"Sahasa hak! Sahasa hak!" Safa said emphatically, looking Orson straight in the eyes, before she laid down nine cards in front of Orson in a three by three grid.

Safa first turned over the card closest to Orson, on his right. The upside card showed a child in rags, begging on the streets. Safa siad something to Tamra, who translated, "This is the pauper card, and it's position also makes it the cornerstone card. It defines your....um, lifetime? Lifetime. It defines from where your life has grown from. The card is inverted, which means that your life may have started from this card, but you have changed its nature."

Safa turned over the center card, which was a ten of spades. She said something to Tamra, who interpreted, "This card is the root card, from which your present adventure springs from. It represents something that was uneearthed, or an event that was connecting with an....unearthing? Sorry, I know that's not a word, but some of her Bangla is a bit archaic. Makes it even more difficult to translate at times."

The third card on the bottom row was a man climbing out of a window with a bag over his shoulder. The card was also upside down.

"This is the Thief Card. It's position is called the intervener," Tamra explained, again translating for Safa, "Representing someone important in your past. Someone who stole something from you, though not necessarily something material. It is inverted either because that person has been revealed as a thief to you, or perhaps because you have recovered what was stolen from you. Or because they were a thief in the past, but their nature has changed."

Safa tapped on the center row of cards and asked something. Tamra translated, "She says are you ready to see your present?"

Back
Top Bottom