Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures on the Lost Continent (Midnight Lass x Blood Red Romeo)

Well, fuck it. Orson was going to ask a question about his future. He wanted to see what she would reveal. So far, two of the three cards made sense to him. He didn’t really get the root card, but there may be deeper meaning that he was missing. Still, inverted pauper did relate to him growing up from squalor to an airship Captain. Not a bad upgrade, if he did say so himself. As to the thief, his best guess was it was Eddie. At the same time, he couldn’t think of what he had stolen, except maybe Orson’s trust. It wasn’t clear, as these readings often weren’t.

“I’m ready,” he replied, his hands nervously fidgeting as he carefully watched the table.

Safa flipped over the card above the Pauper card, revealing a three of swords. "This represents you, as you now stand," Tamra translated for Safa.. "You stand ready to fight, and two others stand ready to fight with you." Safa added something hurriedly, which made Tamra look thoughtful for a moment, before telling Orson, "She wanted to emphasize others support you, and will support you, but in physical encounters, you will rely on two others specifically."

Safa then flipped over the center card, which was the ten of hearts, making her smile. "This is the radiant card, from which past, present and future flow," Tamra interpreted for Safa. "The ten of hearts means that you will be centered by a myriad of hearts. Because this is the center card, you may not have met all the hearts involved, but you will encounter them all soon. How you treat all these hearts is paramount. Since it is the radiant card, the strength of the hearts will either bolster or hinder your future endeavors, depending on how your relationship with them are." Safa added something hurriedly, which Tamra repeated in English. "It will take effort, as so many hearts not only offer numbers, but complexity, but such a large number can only foster good fortune."

The last card on the row that Safa turned over was the two of swords, turned upside down. Safa frowned silently at the card for a few moments, before saying something to Tamra. Tamra asked her question, which Safa nodded to.

"This is the adjudicator card. At least one strike will land against you, and a second will come in the future. Whether the strike lands directly against you, or against someone near you, she doesn't know for sure. The card is inverted, which means that you can prevail against the second strike, and reverse the first strike, but it will take perseverance on your part, and attendance to the radiant card."

Safa tapped the three "future" cards and asked something. Tamra translated, "Are you ready to see the future?"

Orson carefully considered each card as it was revealed. The three of swords meant he’d have two people to rely on for physical encounters. He had no doubt that one of those swords was Miharu. Granted, a sword seemed to be an understatement of her power, but three of military grade cannons didn’t have the same ring to it. But what confused him was the second supporter. None of the rest of his crew, potential or joined, seemed to be a combat type. Unless Nurse Costa or Vu were secretly dangerous.

The ten of hearts. That was the radiant card, that which everything would be built around. His initial reaction stunned silence as his mind raced through the ramifications of that. But then his mind stopped him from thinking too much with his other head. A heart didn’t necessarily mean love. It could mean that he was the center of nine people, receiving trust. He was pretty sure that was a reference to his entire crew. Miharu, Ayisha, Cimonah, Ninah, Tamra, Bianca, and possibly Vu. That still left three unaccounted for. Maybe one of them was whoever had tried to help them by bringing Bianca to them. That was two unknowns. Still, it was nice to know what number to stop his crew at. And even if it wasn’t love, it’d at least give him something to dream about.

The last card was troubling. A blow in the very near future. That didn’t sound good at all. His mind jumped to Eddie, wondering if he could be the source of the problems. The fact that the card was positioned directly above the card that represented Eddie didn’t help shake the suspicion. Part of him wanted to believe that he wouldn’t do such a thing, but between the allegations Henry brought up to his moniker being Crazy Eddie, he couldn’t be sure of anything. He’d need to be extra vigilant. If there was any comfort, it was that the blow would be reversible. At least that meant no one would be maimed or killed.

He stared at the next three cards, his brow furrowing as he thought through everything. “Yes,” he said after several moments of silence.

Safa nodded, then flipped over the card above the three of diamonds. It was a man in armour, a lance in his hand, on a white horse.

"The Champion," Tamra interpreted for Safa, who was broadly smiling. "At the very, least you will be successful in keeping your principles. It is in the position of the rising sun, so if you maintain faith with the radiant card, it bodes well for you."

The next care flipped over, directly above the ten of cards, was a woman with long flowing hair, white robes, and her hands raised in supposition. In one hand was a stylized sun, in the other a crescent moon, and above her head an arc of stars.

"The Sorceress," Tamra explained, conveying Safa's words. "Since she is located above the radiant card, she is someone you have not met yet, but is one of the hearts spoken of in the radiant card. She is located at the zenith, so if she is bolstered by you, you will be bolstered by her. It may not be just one woman, but it will be a nurturing heart, or hearts, none the less."

The last card flipped over brought a gasp not only from Tamra, but Safa as well. It was a picture of the Grim Reaper, though the card was upside down.

Safa was silent for half a minute, then began speaking solemnly. Tamra's tone was subdued as she translated.

"Death," she said simply. "And since it is in the position of the setting sun, very powerful. Safa says since all the top cards are face cards, the events will be momentous, to you and to everyone involved. But since Death is inverted, it will be that you can conquer the challenge represented by the card, and that the fate will fall on those who oppose you. But you must be true to the radiant card to prevail, and that the Champion and the Sorceress can prevail>"

Safe studied the cards in silence, then looked as Orson, asking a question. Tamra translated: "Safa says, before you decide whether you want to ask your final question, and see the tenth card, she wants to know why you are afraid to ask. Not what the question is, but why you fear to put it forward."

A champion. Him? Well, probably not a literal one, but it did serve as an ego boost. He did hope he at least wouldn’t have to wear that tacky armor. Based on her connection to it and the radiant card, he believed he had a decent idea what it meant. Provided the card did represent his crew, it meant that he would emerge victorious if he always fought for them. On the flip side, it could also mean ruin if he abandoned them. That was Orson’s personal reading, at least.

Looking at the Sorceress card, Orson was intruiged. Who was she? Was she someone he had already met? Probably not. She was in the future, after all. Maybe she was the one guiding them. He didn’t have enough information to go off.

While Safa and Tamra seemed shocked by the Grim Reaper card, Orson was unfazed. After all, he was the crazy guy everyone had expected to die well before now and was currently building a crew to take on what most considered a suicide mission. He imagined death so much it felt more like a memory. Hearing that it’s inversion meant it could be overcome bolstered his confidence. Evading the Grim Reaper was Orson’s specialty.

When he heard the question, he paused. He didn’t like having to answer that. But he knew no good would come from lying, so he sighed and spoke the truth. “Two reasons. First, it’s just kind of embarrassing to say it where another person can hear it. The second would be related to that. Namely, how would it change Tamra’s opinion of me. She might be suspicious of me, thinking that me recruiting my crew came with an ulterior motive. That’s not true, but it would be a reasonable suspicion to have.”

Tamra looked as if she wanted to ask a question. but the way Safa spoke to her, it was obvious the other woman wanted to know what was said. When Safa heard Orson's explanation, she held up a hand for silence, while she obviously thought about how to answer it. She looked down at the cards displayed, and tapped the middle one with her finger repeatedly, in a slow staccato. She then stood up, leaned over the table and took Orson's face in her hands, looking intensely into his eyes. She must have seem something that she approved of, because she nodded her head and sat back down. She then rattled off instructions to Tamra. Tamra nodded, and headed to the front of the store, telling Orson, "She wants me to close up the shop."

He watched her carefully, wondering what sort of significance it could have that she was tapping his radiant card. Then when she grabbed his face, he was surprised, his mind jumping back to what she said about a strike. Of course, that was ridiculous, but he couldn’t help where his mind went. When he recovered from the surprise, he returned her gaze. He looked her straight in the eyes, unflinching.

He was still completely lost in regards to this woman’s actions. It was...confusing. Then when she told Tamra to go close up the front, he was left alone with her in the back room. He had suspicions, but nothing concrete. And considering how wrong he had been lately, he didn’t care to voice them. “Do you want me to ask my question now? Or should I wait for her to return?” he asked the woman who couldn’t speak English.

Safa shook her head at Orson's words, clearly not understanding a word he said.

When Tamra returned to the room, Safa motioned for her to remain standing. Tthen looking at Orson, she removed the scarf covering her hair. Safa took a deep breath and, without hesitation, removed the veil from her face, causing Tamra to gasp in surprise.

There was a rosy blush to Safa's cheeks as she spoke to Tamra.

"She says she has never revealed her face before to a man who was not related to her, not since her thirteenth birthday. But she is putting her trust in you, as she expects you to put your trust in her. And she says you should trust me too. Which you should, Cap---, um, Orson," Tamra added. "And we've only known each other a short time, Orson, but I like to think we've become friendly, so I'll trust your motives for what they are, not what they are on the surface."

Safa then added something else, which made Tamra's eyes bug out. When Tamra didn't immediately translate, Safa repeated her words with emphasis, gesturing with her hands.

"She also says she will be accompanying us on our trip, which I like to point out I did not invite her to, or even suggest," Tamra added.

Safa then added something else, turning red. Whatever she said made Tarma giggle, which got her a glare from Safa and another adamant string of words.

"She also says she is willing to wear slacks on the airship, and go without a veil, as long as you are the only man present, but she will be wearing a proper dress and covering at any other time. And she is wiling to wear a soutien-gorge rather than proper underwear when in slacks, but will return to proper underwear when in a dress. The factory that produces them in Syracuse, New York State refers to them as brassieres," Tamra added matter-of-factly.

Safa held out her hands in supplications, and spoke again to Tamra. "So she wants to know if that's enough, or if you need more to trust?"

Orson was floored. Here he was, making a big deal about just asking a question, a question that probably wasn’t even that big of a deal. He chuckled at the whole thing, speaking again. “Honestly, I should be asking what I can do to prove I deserve all this trust,” he said, smiling at Safa. He didn’t understand what this act of removing the veil meant in terms of the culture. But when Tamra explained that it was the first time she had removed her veil for a man since she was thirteen, it left him stunned. She was clearly putting quite a ridiculous amount of trust in him. It would be rude not to respond.

He looked at her, speaking at her this time, not at Tamra. “You are welcome to join us. I’m starting to become convinced of your gift. I’m certain it could help us. As to the matter of your clothing, you are welcome to wear whatever you want while on the ship. Slacks and lacking a veil are not required. You will also be given a warning whenever a man will be invited on board to prepare yourself. Currently, I’m the only male member of the crew, so if you will continue to honor me with the sight of your unveiled face, I will prove myself to deserve it.” He wondered what it could mean to show herself like that. Was it a matter of trust? Maybe deference to an employer? He’d need to ask Tamra for more information later.

“As to the question, it’s a simple one. Probably a question most people have. Simply put, I want to know about my fortune in regards to love.”

Tamra didn't know why Orson would be embarrassed by such a question. It was actually rather sweet.

Safa must have thought it was silly to be fearful of such a question, because she 'tsked' Orson before adding something for Tamra to convey.

"If you were truly using this trip to find your love, it would be very foolish of you to include so many potential chaperones and obstacles," Tamra said with a chuckle. "And she's right on that point."

Safa eyed the cards already revealed on the table, then she place four cards down, each "straddling" the ten of hears and one of the cards above, below, to the right and to the left of it.

Safa explained her actions to Tamra, who passed on the explanation to Orson.

"Normally, she would just [it a card directly over the radiant card, and use that to answer your question. However, the ten of hearts is a powerful radiant cards, and the three face cards in the future row are powerful portents, which call for careful measures. Her words, not mine," Tamra added.

Safa flipped over the card touching the ten hears and the Sorceress. It revealed a man in brown robes holding an hourglass.

"Time," Tamra translated. "And since it connects the ten of hearts and the sorceress, it could mean someone you have met now, and will grow more important to you in the future.." Safa said something, which surprised Tamra. "Safa says it could also mean someone you meet now and someone you meet in the future. And since all the cards are not inverted, and it transits into the zenith, no matter how you interpret it...one or more than one...it will be passionate and binding."

The next card Safa overturned was a man and a woman, both nude. The man stood behind the woman, his arm draped over one breast while his hand cupped the other, covering both, while his hand covered her sex. His own nudity was blocked by her body. Tamra blushed at the sight of the card, but the more conservative Safa seemed to take it in stride.

After stuttering a little bit, Tamra finally found her voice. "The Lovers. Since it straddles two cards with ten symbols, it will be a powerful emotion. The fact that it arises from a past event, and Time is above it implies that you will be need to understand things progress, but prudent actions make the goal of progress powerful."

Next Safa turned over the card straddling the ten of hearts and three of swords. It was the four of hearts, with the hearts arranged in a diamond shape.

"This says the love your seeking will spring from your present endeavors and that, either it will put you in harmony with your situation, or possibly, if there is more than one woman involved, it will be harmonious. If you work at it," Tarma added. "That's actually not how the idiom she used translated, but that's the gist of it."

The last card that was revealed, straddling the ten of hearts and the three of swords was the seven of swords, inverted. Safra frowned, then explained to Tamra. "The adjudicator will strike at your heart, and you will either prevent it, or it will spell romantic disaster."

Safa sighed, then gathered up the cards. She said something to Tamra and Tamra explained, "She says she will see you soon on the airship, but she needs to make arrangements here. And that there is nothing else she can tell you, so we should leave now." As Safa put her veil and scarf back into place, Tamra said, "Orson, should I disinvite her.? I mean, I'm very fond of Safa, and she's the best source of legends from a part of the world that most Westerners have never ventured far into, but do we really need a fortune teller on our expedition?"

He carefully watched and listened to her. He found he was having a harder time understanding these predictions. They seemed to be much more esoteric. All of them he struggled to wrap his head around what she was saying. All except the last one. Whoever would be struck was someone in his crew. Looks like he’d need to be ready to destroy the abjucator, whatever it was.

He could also tell Safa was disappointed by the anticlimax of his question. However, to him, it was a big deal. Airship crews didn’t tend to have great love lives. Being away from home for months, potentially years at a time on a journey that might just kill them didn’t help relationships. Even harder was finding someone. Orson was never in a town long enough to court a woman into even having a chance at a strained home life. All of this helped create a culture where marriage and ideas of love were often laughed at. It’s also why prostitution was so popular amongst them. It was the only way they were getting any. In fact, the few married men he had met had happily used prostitution, saying they didn’t mind cheating on their wives as their wives were likely cheating on them.

It had been sad to see. Honestly, considering Orson’s life up to now, it was amazing he still held on to such childish concepts like love and relationships. But he couldn’t help it. It’s what he believed in. It’s why he was twenty-eight and still a virgin, a fact that he was not quick to advertise.

“No, she should come,” he replied to Tamra. “I know it sounds strange, but I think a fortune teller and someone who knows stories can be incredibly useful, though it’d be even better if she could play an instrument,” he mused. “Even if we remove the ability to see the future, fortune telling can be fun, as can listening to stories. Being on a trip for months can be boring and stressful. And if you want to see people make stupid, potentially life ending mistakes, make them stressed and bored. Entertainment is important, and I think Safa could provide that. And I just get the feeling that she’ll be useful.”

Now that they were done with their business with the Safa, at least for now, the pair was prepared to leave. “Thanks for taking me to meet her. I think it was a very useful experience. Though I was wondering, what is the significance of the veil? I’ve seen women wearing them before, but I never knew why.”

"It's a cultural thing," Tamra explained. "It marks her as modest and respectable. In the particular part of the world she grew up in, the type of veil she wears also marks her as coming from the upper parts of society. Which explains her education. And part of her ancestry is why she's good at things...arcane."

Tamra paused before continuing. "It your call, Orson, about her coming along, and you're probably right. I guess maybe I'm a little uncomfortable because I don't mind...magic, for lack of a better word...in my myths and legends that I can keep at an academic distance. Yeah, I know, I'm the one who brought you up here, but I guess...I don't know."

Tamra shook her head, as if the motion could dispel the who idea of magic actually working. "After I walk you out of the Eastern Quarter, I'll go talk to Vu, and see if she's interested. And if not, I'll see if I can find you someone else. Will you be heading back to the ship, Orson?"

He was surprised to hear this. Maybe Tamra didn’t have as much faith as he had initially thought. He didn’t blame her. But he imagined she’d appreciate having Safa along. After all, she would be one of the only people able to keep up with her in her archeological studies. Or at least give her someone to discuss legends with.

“Please make sure she knows how much I loved her food. It’ll be a travesty to not be able to eat that again for months,” he told her, walking along with her to the end of the Eastern Quater. “I’m going to head back to the ship. I’ve got some things I need to prepare for the crew, especially if everyone is going to move in before we take off. Also, I know you’re bringing along a ton of books already, but could bring along a few to help me study Arabic? I don’t need much, just enough to be able to speak with Safa at a basic level.”

Last edited:
"Bangla might be better," Tamra said. "Or possibly...Danish? German? I'm trying to remember which European country made a colony out of the island Safa is from. I only remember it wasn't a British colony." Tamra greeted passerbys as she and Orson made their way out of the Eastern Quadrant.

"I think you're right, Orson," Tamra said, as the pair stopped at a corner just outside the Eastern Quadrant. "If Sasha wants to come, it can only be a plus. Though I'm going to have to stop the giggles when I see her in slacks. So I'm going talk to Vu, and see if I can make it work. I'll meet you at the airship later. So where you going now?"

“You know that’s kind of hard to believe. There’s somewhere out there that wasn’t a British colony,” he joked. “Thanks for correcting me. Wasn’t really sure on the language she was using. If you can figure out what European language she knows, get books on that. It’ll probably be the easiest for me to learn.”

“That’ll be quite the sight,” he replied. He did hope Safa brought he dresses along as well. He wanted her comfortable above all else. “I’m still surprised she’d want to come. It sounds like it’d be pretty scandalous for her to travel with a man she barely knows, though I imagine the crew being mostly women helps.”

“Just straight back to the ship for me,” he answered. “I’ll see you again later, second in command,” he said with a smile. The two had reached the end of the Eastern Quarter. Now it was time to part ways. He went back to the docks, hoping he’d be able to complete everything he needed. He stopped at a nearby store offering phone services, placing a call to each of crew mates homes that he could, informing them of the offer to move on board as soon as they could. When that was done, he resumed his walk back. He couldn’t wipe the smile from his face the whole way there. It had been a good day.

The boarding houses where Bianca and Ayisha stayed took Orson's message and promised to deliver them. Cimonah and Ninah weren't at Air and Steam, however, and Miharu wasn't at the Flying Toupee. Instead, as Orson approached his airship, all three were on scaffolds along the side.

"Captain James," shouted Cimonah, as she her sister began climbing down the scaffold, "We were just finishing the external..."

"...modifications, and getting ready to run diagnostic tests on...." Ninah continued

"...the systems from the bridge. Miharu has been very helpful. She's..."

"...a natural on the exterior," one of the sisters concluded.

Miharu, dressed in the same coveralls as the twins, waved at Orson from the top of the scaffold. As soon as the twins reached the ground, Miharu leaped. She did some flipping and touching of the scaffold which somehow slowed and eased her descent, so that she landed nimbly on her feet.

"I'm afraid I'm only good at bringing tools and parts from one spot to another," MIharu giggled, "But Ninah and Cimonah are very patient. And we have sausages on a stick, wrapped in cornmeal and deep fried. With a bowl of spicy mustard for dipping. We bought them from a vendor on the docks. It was a German, and he says they are a new invention. But they will get you messy."

Orson waved at the girls as he approached, thrilled to see them at work. The beautiful twins and the adorable Miharu looked like they made quite the team. The fact that they were already almost done with modifications was incredible. When Miharu performed her incredible feat of acrobatics, he gave her a light round of applause. He didn’t think she realized just how amazing she was.

“I’m surprised there are any left,” he teased, seeing the corn dogs that were still there. He suddenly realized why Miharu was in overalls. She had probably gotten her own clothes devouring food earlier. Even if it wasn’t true, it was still a cute sight to imagine. He ate one, finding it tasty, but still left him longing for his earlier meal. Man, he was an addict already.

When Cimomah and Ninah came down, he gestured for them to come over. With the three assembled, he began to speak. “Hello. It’s great to see you girls. You’ve done an impressive amount of work so far. I come bearing some good news as well. I spoke to Dandy and Tarloff today. You girls have permission to join. You are all now official crew members of the Midnight Curse,” he said happily, hoping none of the three would object to this. “Also, I went out with Tamra today. We found two potential recruits, a cook and a fortune teller. And don’t worry, I’m not going to use the fortune teller as an infallible guide. She’s knowledgeable about history and could be incredibly useful.”

“The other thing I need to discuss is with our brilliant twins,” he said, turning slightly to face those two more directly. “So, I don’t know if you can do this, but I was hoping you could establish an array of sensors on the outside of the ship capable of detecting wind speed and direction, and then displaying that at some measurement at the wheel. We don’t need many, but one on the tail and nose as well as one or two on each side could be a lifesaver. Do you think you’re up for it?”

"Done..." Cimonah announced.

"And done," Ninah completed. "We've updated your flight instruments..."

"...including a radio direction finder and..."

"...a wireless telegraph, but..."

"...Mister Tarloff doesn't think that will pan out, so..."

"....the receiving station isn't manned all the time," one sister said sadly. "But..."

"...we think we can use this trip..."

"...to change his mind." Ninah finished. She then flashed Cimoan an accusing look. "We also put something in that is completely useless!"

"It's not completely useless!" Cimonah huffed. "It does not add to drag or weight!"

"There is no need for an aeroplane rack when there are no aeroplanes or aeroplane pilots on the island. The nearest aeroplane is at least a thousand miles away," insisted Ninah.

"Just because..." Cimonah said, getting warmed up, when Miharu interrupted.

"Perhaps Captain James would like to see the new flight instrument panel?" she asked politely.

"Absolutely!" Cimonah beamed. "Just..."

"...follow us." With that, the twins led the way up the gangplank into the airship.

"Shall we follow them up, Captain James?" Miharu asked.

Orson gave Miharu a small nod of thanks for intervening. For some reason, he found it difficult to think about getting inbetween them in moments like that. Of course, he’d need to be able to as their captain. It’s just that for now, he appreciated the intervention.

He was also amazed that the sisters had anticipated that need. It wasn’t the sort of thing that was commercially available at the moment. Was it something only private ships had? Or had these girls developed it themselves? Considering what they seemed capable of already, he wouldn’t be surprised at either.

“Thank you for doing all this,” he told Ninah and Cimonah as he followed them into the ship. He meant it. What they did may just help them all get through this alive.

"No problem," Nina answered. "The three of us..."

"Nina, Miharu and me," Cimonah explained, "Already brought...."

"...our clothes and stuff on board, including the stuff..."

"....that Doctor Motwani measured us for. She's using...."

"...the Camp sizing system, which makes a lot of sense..."

"....structural and support wise. But you want to see all..."

"...the measurement systems we put in...."

"....so if you would lead the way to the bridge, Captain James?" one of the twins concluded.

“Of course,” he said, leading the way onto the ship. “Just out of curiosity, what is the Camp sizing system?”

The Midnight Curse was divided into three distinct parts. The first part was the bridge. This was at the front of the ship and contained everything that would be needed for piloting the ship. The second and by far the largest was, well, almost everything else. Two hallways ran from the bridge down the length to the third part of the ship. Rooms and stairways connected to the hallways led to all of the ship’s facilities. In between the hallways were a series of rooms for crew members who did have their rooms attached to a specific facility. Then there was the kitchen and dining room.

Finally, the final part was the Captain’s Quarters. It wasn’t massive or anything, but it was clearly the largest bedroom in the ship. It also doubled as an office for him. For Orson, his prized item in there was the oversized bed he had bought. He didn’t need a bed that large, and it mostly just took up space. But it was an indulgence he had always dreamed of. And now he had it.

There were two entrances to the ship, one on each side. They led into the hallways of their respective sides, allowing for easy access to whatever facility the person needed. It was also a simple layout; nigh impossible to get lost or confused in. Orson led the group on the short walk to get to the bridge. “Alright, let’s see what you did.”

"Oh,the Camp sizing system is---" Ninah began, when Miharu cut her off.

"I think we should let Dr. Motwani explain that," the young Japanese woman replied, her tone both embarrassed and amused.

The twins shrugged, with one saying, "If you say, so, although it was rather..."

"...odd that the system starts with an A, but none of..."

"...us went lower than a D. Anyway, Captain, we present to ...."

"....you, your bridge."

The bridge had been completely redone, with everything shiny brass, back lit gauges and occasional flashing lights.

There was a comfortable looking chair in the center of the bridge, with other stations surrounding in a circle. In front of the center seat, looking out the forward window, were two seats, one with an odd looking yoke and pedals before, the other with a strange round glass. Between the two seats was a large column of gauges and instruments, as well as a chart table.

"This position is for the helm," Nina began, "Capable of control of the airship on..."

"...all the principles axes, as well as thrust. Next to it...."

"...a device that uses radio signals to detect obstacles, even in fog, as well..."

"...as the radio direction finder, which is tuned into..."

"...the transmitter at Steam and Air, so we can..."

"...theoretically find our way back home. The instruments in between...."

"...helm and the navigation position..."

"....has a myriad of measurement devices...."

"....which are tied into the Analytical Engine...."

"....at that position." one sister added, pointing to another seat. "Well, the controls for..."

"...the Analytical Engine, which could theoretically..."

"...use instrument readings to help whoever sits there..."

"....predict weather, pull up data on things we see, and the like."

"That position over there," one of the sisters pointed out, "let's you use..."

"...the wireless telegraph, and that one over there...."

"....is a repeater station, for all the gauges...."

"...in Engineering," one of the sisters concluded. "Plus, the center chair can activate the ships telephony system. For calling...."

"...from one part of the ship to another. The Analytical Engine..."

"...acts as a switchboard operator as well."

A? D? He was completely lost. He’d have to talk to Ayisha about it later. But his confusion was washed away when he walked into the bridge. It was incredible what they had done with it. As they explained it, he took a seat in the chair, carefully listening to everything they said and internalizing it. He checked and there they were, the wind sensors he had asked for. That was an incredible relief.

“Ninah, Cimonah, you two are amazing,” he told them as he continued to look over their handiwork. “I’m serious, this goes beyond my wildest expectations. The Midnight Curse is lucky to have you two on board.” He continued to look over everything. He’d need to take this out on a test flight before they departed, but right now he was content with just looking over his shiny new instruments. This was a pilot’s dream come true.

"The only thing we need," Ninah said, with a look of consternation.

"Is a good mathematician," Cimonah added, with an equally solemn look on her face as they made their way over to the science station. "Not that we aren't good, we're...."

"...very, very good! Still..." Ninah continued, touching the input/output station for the analytic engine in almost loving fashion, "a mathematician would be...."

"...very, very nice," Cimonah finished, also caressing the station in question.

"So what's next?" Miharu asked, snapping the twins out of their reverie.

“Honestly? We start to make the final preparations,” he said, still a big smile plastered on his face. “Of course, that’ll still take some time. We do need to have a meeting between everyone discussing the situation and take care of certain matters and fill our supplies up. But we’re in the final steps,” he answered. He was having trouble believing it. So much was going well.

Orson pulled himself out of the chair in the most triumphant way possible, which was limited considering all he was doing was getting out of a chair. “For now, you’re free to do whatever you want in terms of personal projects. Preferably things at least tangentially related to the ship. I’m going to go place a call the the restaurant Tamra is hopefully still at, see if she knows any brilliant mathematicians.” With that declaration he got up and moved to leave the ship. He’d use the telephone station the main dockhouse had. Hopefully he’d still catch her.

Back
Top Bottom