Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures on the Lost Continent (Midnight Lass x Blood Red Romeo)

"Yeah, Crazy Eddie," Max said, rubbing his chin. "I've got no problem with him myself, And he'll want this gig of yours himself. I guarantee you that. Do you know the story of why he retired to the University after his last trip to the Lost Continent, a few years back?"

Orson shook his head. “Not at all. Kind of fell out of touch after I signed up on the Torrent,” he explained. He had left for a new crew with new people after his brief stint in the navy. He was only now realizing how much he had missed. However, the one thing Orson really took from this was comfort that Max expected Eddie to accept. If he got him and the four girls, they would be good to go. That said, it was too easy right now for him to be left without a crew. He’d avoid getting too optimistic. “Any chance you could tell me about it?”

"It was the the Lincoln Expedition, the one that brought back that huge fucking emerald, the one that ended up in the royal jewels in the London Tower," Max began. "It was also the one where half the crew didn't come back. Doc made his move from expedition physician to regular doctor after that trip. And no one would touch Crazy Eddie again. I tried to ask Doc about it, but..." Max shrugged.

"Nobody will touch Crazy Eddie anymore. He's even tried to get the University to mount an expedition, but no one who knows their ass from a hole in the ground will sign up. Crazy Eddie, well, you know his reputation, but hell, you have to be half crazy to go into the Lost Continent. But the rumors are Crazy Eddie has been playing fast and loose with other people's lives. Holding stuff back, instead of putting it into community bank. I don't know if any of that's true or not, but Doc won't have anything to do with Crazy Eddie. And you know Doc. Doc will drink with an asshole like me, so you got to imagine what you have to be for him not to pour you a drink."

"And then there's what happened with Dandy's little girl, Miharu," Maxed started, then stopped.

Orson was a little shocked to hear what Max was saying. He had always thought of Eddie as being reckless with his own life, but not others’. This revelation was... disturbing. Especially the comment about Miharu. He thought on everything for a second, trying to weigh desire and respect. Eventually, the later won out. “You don’t need to tell me anymore about the details,” he said. “If Miharu wants me to know, she’ll tell me. But there is one thing I need to know: would brining Eddie harm my chances of getting Miharu on the crew?” Honestly, between the two, he wanted Miharu more. Not just because of Eddie’s reckless streak, but because he viewed her as more valuable. Without Eddie, they might not get back with all the wealth they could. Without Miharu, they may not get back at all. He already was going to meet with Eddie; that was decided. But how Mac answered would deforming if it was a job offer, or a request for a recommendation.

Max waved a hand. "Not what you think. Eddie did try to press his attention on Miharu when Dandy wasn't around. Miharu thought he was joking around and put him on the ground, but she went gentle with him. Even restrained, she had no problem putting him down." Max chuckled and added, "Eddie hasn't been back to the Flying Toupee since, or so I've heard."

Max finally lit the cigar he had been chewing. "You know, they have a lot of people in that archaeological department over at the University. My girls spend a lot of time over there. They might be able to suggest somebody besides Eddie. Miharu has led some expeditions over to Kiru with members of that department, so she might be able to make some suggestions. So could Dr. Motwani, for that matter. I'll tell you this, though, Orson. I don't know if the stories about Crazy Eddie are true or not, but I won't let Cimona and Ninah get on an airship with him. And I won't let Dandy's girl get on that airship either. Understand me?"

“After hearing what you said, I won’t either,” Orson remarked. “Anything that disrupts crew unity can’t be allowed. I won’t let us die over something stupid,” he explained. And Eddie driving away the other crew members because he couldn’t keep his hands to himself would be a very stupid reason to die.

Orson stood up, reaching out to shake Max’s hand. “I’ll ask Cimona and Ninah if they want to join the crew. It’ll be a few days until we separate, so make some time for them. Thanks for everything,” he added on, genuinely meaning it. Once he was done here, it was off to the shipyard to get a recommendation for the crew’s archeologist.

Max studied Orson for a moment. "And I'll let you know if I'll let my girls go with you. If they decide to join you, that is," Max said decidedly. "I've got a feeling that you think Eddie trying to be handsy with Miharu is the primary issue. It isn't and wasn't. And I can't let my girls go off with someone who's too thickheaded not to see the obvious. Now, if you haven't got anything else, I got work to do. Just think about convincing me you can walk ten feet over a clear floor without tripping over your own feet."

Ah, there he was. For a moment, it seemed like Tarloff was becoming likable. But then he returned to his usual surly self. “I’ll do my best,” he joked as he stood up. “You’ve done good work here. I hope it keeps up.” Then Orson left, magically not tripping at all. He made his way out of the building and into the streets. He was about to head to the shipyard only to spy a street vendor offering some good smelling food. It was a kebab, though he was able to identify everything on it. Still, after a day of walking and drinking, he needed something in his stomach. He bought two.

Orson took a seat at a nearby bench where he began to devour the skewers. Just one bite in, he realized how famished he was. The adrenaline and excitement had served as a solid way of muting his hunger, but now it was time to eat. As he did so, he thought about his current situation. It was better, but still rocky. Now that he knew Eddie wasn’t an option, he really was in a tight spot. And if any of the four girls opted not to join, he’d be even more screwed. In between kebabs, he sighed. He’d let himself feel down for just this meal. Afterwards, he’d be back to optimism and energy.

Eventually, he arrived at the shipyard to find the women in question were still at his ship. He smiled at the simple sight of seeing four beautiful women all at once. “How is everything looking?” Orson asked as he approached the girls, giving a good business smile in the process.

The four women had just come down the gangplank from Orson's airship, attracting the eyes of others on the piers. However, given Mharu's well earned reputation, the glancers were going out of their way not to be oglers.

"It is roomier than I thought it would be," Miharu noted happily. "Not spacious, of course. But I thought my room would be a broom closet." Miharu's face took on a more serious look when she added, "Your armory, if that is the correct term, is properly organized, but rather light. I think you and I and Mr. Shatner should have a discussion on the proper stocking. I have ideas, of course," Miharu said with a duck of her head and a blush, "But Mr. Shatner is more experienced, and I would not wish to presume over his judgment."

Ayisha looked as if she was about to say something, but the twins interrupted her.

"Your navigation and propulsion systems are pretty good, for what they are," Cimona began, "But ---"

"---your automation could use an upgrade, " Ninah continued. "And then there's the problem ---"

"---of your gas distribution, but we can fix that in five days ---"

"---or rather four," the other twin countered, which brought her other sister nose to nose with her.

"How can you say four days? Five days was being optimistic. Whose specialty is that anyway?" the one twin asked.

The other twin frowned for a moment, looking puzzled. "Mine?" she asked tentatively.

The second twin considered the question, then nodded, before she continued. "So we can get your bags refilled and redistributed with helium in four days, and at---"

"---the same time, working on the other systems, such as the radio---"

"---navigation system and updating your charts and the auto-cartography---"

"----along with the Analytical Engine, and it would only take a day to instruct---"

"---your engineer and navigator how to use them, although if you took us---"

"---then we'd know everything already, but we'd have to talk to Mister---"

"---Tarloff and he'd want to talk to Mister---"

"---Shatner, and I guess they would decide if we and Miharu could go, but in the meantime---"

"---we can get the updates we think your airship needs, and you wouldn't need---"

"---that big a crew to run the ship," one of the twins finished.

"Well, that was certainly exhausting," Ayisha notted, eliciting puzzled looks from the twins and a covered mouth giggle from Miharu. "For my part, your sickbay looks quite sufficient. I've made a note of a few books I'd add to your ship's library for reference, and the de la Vegas have informed me that their guardian will be sending you the standard medical supplies. I can add a few specialized medicines we've developed over at the hospital. And the physician's quarters attached to your sickbay are quite tidy. So, Captain James, if the offer still stands, I'd like to accept your offer of the physician's berth on your ship. I'd just need a few days to make sure my rounds are covered at the Hospital."

Orson couldn’t help but smile as he listened to them, having trouble controlling it as each girl spoke. Miharu was speaking like she was already on board, which he wasn’t going to correct. Cimona and Ninah continued to be their bizarre but beautiful selves. They even brought up the idea of them joining the crew themselves. It was incredible idea that he was in no way going to reject, though he did need to formally invite them. Finally, Ayisha trumped them all with her acceptance of the offer. He was thrilled. Though he had been optimistic, the constant rejection had made him think these girls would end up not accepting as well. Turns out he was wrong.

“I’d be honored to have you as my ship’s physician,” he said, reaching out and shaking her hand. He had a crew member. He was a real captain now. “We won’t be leaving for a few days at least. I doubt these two would appreciate doing the upgrades midair,” he joked, turning to the twins. “And it’s good that you two brought that up. I was hoping that I could get you two to join as well for both engineering and to solve any issues that might arise during the journey. We’re not sure what we’ll be facing, but having two brilliant minds on board would certainly help us out.”

"We'll have to ask Mr. Tarloff first, and get his approval," Ninah answered.

Cimona nodded in agreement, then added, "But we'll start the improvements on your airship, even if we won't be allowed to go."

"And I will have to get Mr. Shatner's approval, before I can accept as well," Miharu added. "But I will get your armory well provided for."

"Speaking of well provided for, don't do these jaunts usually have an archaeologist to go along on them?" Ayisha asked.

If Orson had been alone, he no doubt would’ve cheered. Three more yeses. Okay, they weren’t a full yes, but the people in question wanted to come. That in itself was a huge win for him. Plus, knowing Dandy, Miharu basically was on the crew. Cimona and Ninah were less of a sure thing, considering Tarloff’s attitude. Looks like Max would have a fight over whether he wanted to protect them or let them pursue their own path. Orson hopes he came out on the side of the second choice.

“Surprisingly no. A lot of expeditions don’t. But I certainly plan on it,” he answered. A lot of crews didn’t go with experts, instead just taking what they could if they found something. A lot of crews also failed to find anything at all. Orson suspected there was a connection. “I was going to meet with an acquaintance of mine later to see if they had any recommendations on who to bring.” Miharu was in, the twins were in, Ayisha was in. That meant Eddie was out. Still, he might be good for advice. “That said, I heard from Tarloff that you girls may know someone well suited to the role. Anyone seem like a good match for this journey?”

Miharu, Ayisha, Cimonah and Ninah exchanged a look and said in unison, "Tamra Wilson."

Before the twins could start up with their tag team description, Ayisha waved them quiet. "Dr. Tamra Wilson came from America. She was a rising star at Marshall College. A protegee of the Henry Jones. She came to the University because she has an interest in contact of ancient civilizations with the Lost Continent."

"I've taken her a few times to Kiru," Miharu added. "She handled herself well."

"And, unlike the rest of her colleagues," Ayisha concluded, "She actually found something at Kiru. Nothing earthshaking or monumental, but she's the first person to pulled water from that dried well in a generation. And she speaks more than a dozen languages. Not pidgin, but the actual languages."

"Mr. Tarloff says she's the best buyer he's ever met," Ninah offered.

Before Cimonah could chime in, Ayisha explained, "Dr. Wilson is also the official purchaser for the University's archaeology department. She hasn't gone into the interior of the Lost Continent, but she's help set up the base camps."

A universal nomination. That was excellent. In fact, this was the best possible situation. He knew how women were treated in professional fields, and academia was no different. Not only that, but she had an interest in the lost continent, but had never been there herself. So he could offer her a chance to escape what was probably a stifling environment to go to where she wanted to study with people she already knew. He hoped that would be a strong enough case for her.

“That’s a strong enough case for me,” Orson told them. “I’m in no position to judge them, and anyone you all like has to be good,” he went on to say. Now, did he go through Eddie? Honestly, it might not be a good idea to. If Eddie’s reputation was as bad as it seemed, being introduced by him might be a detriment, not a bonus. “Miharu, would you mind introducing us? It might be easier for her to accept if someone she knows endorsed me.” Miharu seemed like she had spent the most time with Dr. Wilson, making her the best choice. At least, that was his thinking.

"Of course, Captain James," Miharu answered happily. "Shall we go now?"

"When you get back," Ninah began. "Ayisha can get you..."

"...fitted for one of those new soutien-gorges," Cimonah completed. "They're really...."

"....comfortable and supportive," Ninah concluded.

"What's a sue-ten gorge?" Miharu asked Ayisha.

"Never mind," Ayisha said with a blush, glancing quickly at Orson and then back at Miharu. "Come by my office and we'll talk about it later. In the meantime, Captain James, if we're through here, I need to get back to the hospital."

"And we'll need to get back to our laboratory," Ninah chimed.

"Shall we go to the University then, Captain James?" Miharu asked.

Captain James. It had a nice ring to it. He could get used to being called that. Especially by cute girls. He was also curious what this soutien-gorges was. He could’ve sworn he had heard it before, but he could only remember being distracted at the time. Still, he’d find out in due time.

“I think we are for now. I’ll contact everyone with more information and the result of the meeting with Dr. Wilson. Cimona, Ninah, I hope you’re able to convince Tarloff to let you come. It’d be a privilege to have you on my ship. Ayisha, good lunch with your hospital work and send my thanks to Doc,” he told them all. He was starting to feel like someone in charge. “Miharu, let’s head out.”

With that, the group parted ways. Once again, his gaze did linger on the twins as they left, but it wasn’t as obvious this time. He knew he’d have plenty more opportunities to see them as time went on. Now back to just him and Miharu, the two of them made their way towards the university. Orson was all sorts of excited to see who this Tamar Wilson was.

"I'm very excited about working with Cimonah and Ninah," Miharu told Orson, as she watched the twins walk away. The source of excitement she was showing was different from that Orson was showing, however. "They've come up with some very effective weapons, utilizing steam for rapid projectile fire. That is assuming our guardians will let us go with you. Mr. Shatner has a private dining room in the back of the tavern. And Cimonah came up with a collimating telescope lens. Or was it Ninah?" Miharu shrugged as the pair entered the University's main building for the study of Archaeology.

The main doors opened up to an exhibit that could rival the New York Metropolitan Museum, the Cairo Museum of Antiquities, or any other major city's museum. But considering the University's vicinity to the Lost Continent, the diversity of artifacts wasn't surprising.

Miharu led Orson through a side door, through a maze of hallways. Occasionally she was greeted by a graduate student or younger professor whom she had guided on Kiru. She would smile, exchange a friendly greeting, then push on.

Eventually, she led Orson to a out of the way storage room, with NoVak lamps on the ceiling casting a bright, glaring light to the room. A lovely dark skinned woman, her hair in a pony tail and wearing glasses with pyramid shaped lenses was brushing a stone tablet with odd symbols on it. When Miharu walked in with Orson in tow, the woman put the glasses in the pocket of her jacket.

"Miharu," the black woman began. "Konnichiwa! O-genki desu ka?"

"Genki desu," Miharu replied happily. "Doctor Wilson, may I present Captain James?"

"Captain James, a pleasure to meet you," Doctor Wilson replied, extending her hand. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?"

Orson appreciated the woman’s beauty as she greeted Miharu, impressed by what he saw. He was a man at the end of the day and he saw no reason not to admire the best humanity had to offer. When Tamra extended her hand to him, he shook it as he gave her a smile.

“I’m Orson James, captain of the Midnight Curse,” he said, giving a fuller introduction. “I’m here due to the recommendation of my new crew members. I’m currently organizing an expedition for the interior of the lost continent. I’m gathering a small crew of experts for that purpose. It currently consists of Dr. Ayisha Motwani, Cimonah and Ninah de la Vega, and Miharu,” he explained, gesturing towards his companion as he said her name. “All of them spoke highly of you and your work. I’m looking for someone who could serve as an archeologist and a translator, should the need arise. I don’t just want to see what’s hidden in the continent. I want to understand it. I’m hoping you could be the key to that.” He paused for her answer, hoping the slightly more excessive recruitment pitch would be enough to sway her.

"To be truthful, Dr. Wilson," Miharu interrupted, "Only Doctor Motwani is actually a crewmember for Captain James. At least for the moment. The rest of us must still receive permission from our guardians."

Tamra raised an eyebrow, but said nothing about Miharu's statement.

"It's interesting that you brought up secrets of the Dark Continent. Do you remember the tablets we discovered on our last trip to Kiru, Miharu?" Tamra asked.

"Most of Kiru is well explored, Captain Orson," Miharu explained. "Doctor Wilson found a small cave that was unexplored."

"More of a hole in the wall," Tamra said with a laugh. "Are you familiar with the legend of the Abbasidian sailor known as Sinbad, Captain James?"

Orson cursed in his head. He had hoped to keep it simple by not adding in unecessary details. Plus, he was trying to sell himself as a person with a respectable crew. But clearly Dandy hadn’t imparted the finer points of salesmanship to his ward. Luckily, it seemed like Tamra understood this, though he imagined it wouldn’t score him any bonus points with her. He focused on her question, pushing the awkwardness behind him. “Only the name, I’m afraid. Would you care to enlighten me?”

"Well, Sinbad is to the Arab world what Ulysses was to the Greek," Tamra began. "When Sir Richard Burton returned with various legends and myths of the Arabian peninsula and the Horn of Africa, he brought back the tales of a mariner named Sinbad, supposedly a prince from the city of the Baghdad. There are seven voyages that are told. The final one is the one that interests me most. According to the story, Sinbad rescues a sorcerer named Sokurah on the beaches of a mysterious continent far to the west."

"That's only the beginning of the tale, but Sinbad later returns to the mysterious continent. Supposedly Sokurah casts a spell on the princess whom Sinbad is engage to. The spell shrinks the princess down to six inches. Sokurah then tells Sinbad that he has to return to the mysterious continent in order to get an antidote to the spell."

"Now, there are several points in the return voyage, where certain landmarks seem to correspond those that have been discovered on the Lost Continent. However, that could be mere projection, looking for coincidences."

"These tablets we've discovered on Kiru, however," Tamra continued, "Are written in the script that was in common use in the time period which Sinbad supposedly lived. And they speak of the Captain of the ship that landed on the beach, using a variation of the name Sinbad. Which means....well, I'm not sure what it means, but it is fascinating, to discover previous civilizations that have come into contact with the Lost Continent."

"But I'm sorry, you had a question. What was it again?" Tamra asked.

Orson was interested in this indeed. The fact that an ancient sailor not only visited the lost continent but traveled deep into the interior was fascinating. If he had time, he’d probably ask for more detailed research into this story. It could still stand as a valuable point of research.

“That’s an interesting connection. Maybe more civilizations have been here than we suspected,” Orson mused. But there were more important matters to address. And as a brief test of her abilities, she had passed with flying colors. “I am here to ask if you would join my crew for our expedition. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for both of us.”

"I would love to, but first I'd need to ---" Tamra's answer was interrupted by a lean, rather scruffy looking older man with an ugly scar on his right cheek, bearing a perpetual three day old beard and the smell of cheap tobacco. To Tamra and Miharu and the students at the University, the man was known as Doctor Edward Murdoch, prominent lecturer for the University's archaeological department. To Orson and anyone else who made their living going into the unexplored corners of the world, he was Crazy Eddie.

"Ah, Orson my boy, I heard you were on campus and I..." Crazy Eddie spotted Miharu at the moment, who gave him a pretty smile. Eddie blanched a little and moved so that Orson was between him and young Japanese girl.

"As I was saying, I heard you were gathering a crew to go into the Lost Continent, and I'm here to sign up. Lucky for you, I'm available," Eddie grinned.

She would love to? Hell yes! He was ready! He had a full crew! He could-

Shit.

Crazy Eddie, the man who Orson had been hoping to recruit when he first came to town, was here. Except now Orson wasn’t as thrilled as he would’ve been. He had heard about him, and he knew one thing: Eddie could not be allowed on the crew. Still, no need to be rude.

“Eddie, it’s been too long,” Orson said, shaking his hand. He had glanced at Miharu when he had arrived to see her reaction. She seemed completely unfazed by it. Maybe she really had no idea that he had tried to get handsy with her. Still, that didn’t make Orson comfortable with him being around her. “I’m sorry to say that we actually can’t take on anyone else. Supplies and logistics, I’m sure you understand,” he explained. He had too hopes right then and there: that Eddie bought it and the Miharu didn’t oust his lie.

"This little bit of fluff," Eddie said, pushing past Orson, "Really, if you want someone interesting at a dinner party, of course, but for a re---aaaack!"

Eddie probably hadn't meant to be threatening when he approached Tamra. Undoubtedly he meant to make his physical contact with her condescendingly dismissive of her. Unbeknownst to Eddie, Tamra, like Ayisha and the de la Vega twins, had been taking self-defense courses from Miharu. They were nowhere close to the mastery that Miharu exhibited effortlessly, and a seasoned, rough and tumble campaigner like Orson would probably also be out of their reach. A creep like Eddie, though, was someone that Tamra could deal with.

Tamra had managed to position herself so that Eddie's right arm was twisted straight out and slightl behind him. Miharu studied Eddie, an enigmatic look on her face.

"Dr. Wilson, if I could give some constructive criticism?" Miharu asked.

"Uh, what? Yeah, sure," Tamra answered, probably as surprised as Eddie at how things had developed.

"It will be easier to demonstrate," Miharu answered. "If you would release Dr. Murdoch, please."

Confused, Tamra released Eddie.

Eddie stumbled two steps forward, but before he could actually do anything, Miharu had his other arm.

It looked as if Miharu was putting far less effort into the hold than Tamra had, but the result appeared to be to put Eddie into more intense pain.

"You will notice my position, Dr. Wilson," Miharu began. "This places me in a position to pivot, and thus being able to place kicks at various positions on Dr. Murdoch's body. Observe, please." Miharu placed three precise kicks that appeared to barely graze Dr. Murdoch: one in his groin, one in his sternum and one to his face. Each kick, though, appeared to cause a spasm of pain to Eddie.

"In addition, the position I am grants greater control over Dr. Murdoch," Miharu added. "Observe please."

Miharu gave a minute twist on Eddie's arm, which sent him to his knees. When Miharu released his arm, Eddie collapsed, curling into a ball.

Miharu leaned over and said softly, "Dr. Murdoch, I do not think you are a nice man. I think it would be best if you do not visit Mr. Shatner's tavern again."

Eddie just nodded, as he remained on the floor.

Miharu stood up, to see a stunned Tarma just staring at her. She turned her attention to Orson. "Captain James, some of the individuals I've been hired to protect in the past have taken prospective clients and employees to a restaurant for something they call a 'business dinner.' Perhaps you could take myself and Dr. Wilson on such a dinner? There is an American restaurant nearby that serves hamburgers on bun, with melted cheese on top. In addition, the chips they serve with these hamburgers with cheese are not like the ones they serve with fish. They are much more narrower. Oh, and they have an electric blending device they used to combined malted powder, fruit and ice cream!"

Tamra shrugged and told Orson, "Sounds good to me!"

Back
Top Bottom