Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Fibers of Fate (Jovialtraveler x MysteriousD)

"I guess this is more training," Diego told her with a smile before he followed her during their jog there. He was getting stronger and fitter, with their occasional pauses done to ensure they were going on the right track, especially since his aprtment was in a poorer district that was in the process of being redeveloped.

"We're almost there," Diego said.

Ryuko nodded, making sure to keep a pace Diego could manage, but would still challenge him. A workout should make you feel tired, but not exhausted, especially if it’s in the middle of the day like this. “Good. I just wonder if there’s other cults like this one.”

“It’s a possibility. Though I don’t think there’s multiple. I’m thinking it’s all focused on his cult,” Diego noted while he was catching his breath.

“Looks like we’re here. According to the info, he’s one of the higher levels,” Diego said as they stepped into the apartment. No one was around, which kinda spooked him. “Wanna take the elevator or the stairs?” He asked.

“Stairs.” Ryuko didn’t like the atmosphere... there wasn’t even a nurse to greet them, and that unnerved her. She gets one of her blades out, the red one, and pushes open the door to the staircase

The stairs opened and there was not much. It was just a quiet and cheap place. Diego went along with Ryuko, holding her hand the whole time and having the needle on his back.

Eventually, the found the room, which was left unlocked. When he opened it, he was a bit surprised.

It looked relatively normal for the part, though this did not meant there weren’t secrets. “There should be documents or other stuff hiding here,” he said.

“In the couches maybe? Like the cushions? They might have a workdesk.” Ryuko said, looking around, prodding the ground for traps

"Maybe yeah," Diego said as he was looking around. After a little while, he finally found something. "Under the mattress," Diego said as he managed to pull it out. There was some files.

"Holy crud..." Diego said as he saw down on the file and began reading it. Every paragraph just unnerved him and there was more surprises. More secrets and a glimpse into the nature of this cult.

"The Life Fibers... it's about their origin," he said, trying to recollect himself.

“What?” Ryuko walks over quickly, looking over his shoulder as she leans on him to see the papers. “Oh my god... the moon?”

"Not the moon... It's what is on it..." Diego said as he was rereading everything. "They are a cult... their goddess... It's a spider... It's a freaking spider goddess... they believe that she spins the fate of living beings and that the Life Fibers are imbued with her well. Heck, she wants to either feed humanity to her children... or them into her children," Diego said, dread and urgency growing on his face.

"That's what he meant. The pearl... the pearl was the Moon," Diego said as he looked at the Needle, gripping it tightly.

Ryuko stared at the papers in shock, blinking slowly as she processed that, before slowly, deliberately, saying “and how the hell are we supposed to kill a god?”

“I don’t know. But we’ll find out. We gotta a lot of good people on our side, including you,” Diego said, turning to her with a smile and displaying his faith in her.

“She may be powerful, but she is not omniscient nor omnipotent,” he adds

“Is it really even a god then?” Ryuko said. “Or is it just a thing that has an inflated ego and a lot of weight to throw around?”

"Most likely the latter though, given how she makes the life-fibers, she definitely must be above the norm. That, or she wishes to become more god-like," Diego wonders out loud in some thought. "But I know we can beat it, together and all of us," he said with a smile at her.

Ryuko keeps looking at the papers, smiling and saying “yeah. With some backup, it might even be easy. Nudist beach has weapons that specialize in taking down life-fibers, so even if this isn’t safe, it shouldn’t be deadly or anything.”

"Yeah though just because this thing produces it, doesn't mean it has similar weaknesses. We gotta be careful," Diego noted to Ryuko before looking back at the notes. "This false god definitely must be subtlety influence people hence why the cult appeared. It doesn't appear like anything about your mother was mentioned... unless she was this "original vessel," stuff," he adds as he noted some of the notes were rapidly edited

“My mom won’t be a problem anymore either way.” Ryuko said, deciding to continue searching the place. There had to be something else around here, didn’t there? Why keep everything important in one place?

"Makes sense there," Diego said as he was looking through anything and some of the circles. There was alot of edits and addendums made. However, Diego wondered what more was there. "I'm guessing there is probably more details, but we have enough for a good lead. Your sister can help us here," he told her with a smile. "We should get going," said.

Ryuko looked a bit uncomfortable. Satsuki... it had only been a few months, but it felt like years. They’d kept in touch, but hadn’t met in person since graduation. “Yeah....” She heads to the door and opens it, “hopefully she’s interested.”

“Everything okay?” Diego asked her with concern when he noticed the look on her face. “Hey, she’s a good person and I’m sure she wants to go and help save people,” he told her reassuringly.

“I know... I guess I’m kinda worried about her. I mean... captured and molestsed by your own mother.... that’s gonna mess someone up.”

Diego grimaced at what be heard, trying to keep calm at the situation. He had no idea what to say.

“Really sorry both of you suffered. Both of you deserve better,” Diego managed to say after some thought.

“We’re all glad she’s dead, but we do have a world to save,” Senketsu noted, having remained quiet.

“It’s in the past, and you had nothing to do with it. She got the worst of it anyway.... look, can we just keep moving and solve this problem?”

"I know, but I want to help both of you," Diego told Ryuko with a soft smile. "Right, right," he said, knowing that she did not want to talk about it. "Want me to call her or would you want to call her? Or should we visit her in person for this?" Diego asked her for this.

“I’ll Call to let her know we’ll be dropping by for a visit. We’ll make sure it’s in the afternoon so she won’t feel obligated to make us dinner or lunch.” Ryuko takes a flip phone from her pocket and dials the number, waiting for her sister to pick up.

“Satsuki Kyriun speaking. Who is it?” The tone was clipped, businesslike. About what you’d expect from someone like Satsuki.

“Ryuko Matoi. Satsuki, I was wondering if I could stop by to ask you for a favor?” Ryuko looked.... distinctly uncomfortable with asking for help. It grated at her pride, but she wasn’t about to ask Diego to make the call for her. “Sometime in the afternoon, later today?”

“Yes, I think I can manage that.” Formal phrasing, but the tone went from ‘if this is a telemarketer I’m hanging up’ to ‘speaking I someone you only see on thanksgiving’. “What kind of favor?”

“There’s a quote-unquote god on the moon with a life-fiber cult.”

“I’ll find my sword. Do you still have Junketsu?”

“Yeah.”

“Good.” Satsuki hung up, staring at the wall with asigh. Even when she was dead her mother made life difficult.

Ryuko smiles at Diego, “Well.... I guess we should still visit to explain the details, but... she’s willing to help.”

Diego remained quiet while he was listening to Ryuko talk with her sister. Even from listening, he could tell there was still a bit of an... aloofness? No, I suppose that both were unsure how to really deal with their past truamas and he wondered if both worked or avoided one another to ignore confronting it.

"Sounds like it. Maybe I can try and see if there is anything I can further help with her?" Diego offered as he smiled back. Having organized the files, he bega leading her downstairs.

Back
Top Bottom