Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[DnD 5e] Homebrew high fantasy fun in Etindra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aradis blinked in surprise at Dalren's frank appraisal of what might happen to Heather. "That can happen?!" he exclaimed, reaching up to hold the toy frog protectively. "Heavens, what have you people been up to while I was away? But if you insist." High above the raven flickered into nonexistence as the gnome fell into line with the others, looking around the city a bit more carefully.

As the dust cleared and the chaos disipated, Haze shook her head. It was a shame when people became that desperate. She walked alongside the group as they traveled back down the street to their destination.

The Verdant Leaf was a large wooden building that stood on a busy corner. A double door engraved with oak trees and metal handles shaped to look like leaves faced Market street, but the large windows wrapped around both sides. Through the glass panes, laughter and merriment was witnessed as a pair of performers dressed in brightly colored clothing performed simple acrobatic and gymnastic tricks on the modest stage.

The door chimed when it was opened, but the hubbub inside the pub was much too loud for anyone to hear it. At the bar, a large, burly man was busy at the register while two lithe bartenders wearing matching green and brown outfits scurried up and down taking orders and pouring drinks. Two waitresses paced the floor, both in matching green and brown dresses and sweet smiles on their faces.

Of the 12 tables, 9 were occupied. All four tables directly in front of hte stage were taken, as were each of the three corner tables, but there were a couple vacant tables in front of the large windows. The bar itself had seats for 12 but only 7 were in use.

As you entered, the two ladies sitting at the bar directly opposite you turned and looked. They may have heard the chime, but it is more likely that the introduction of both sun and breeze caught their attention. They shared overly-charming smiles with you all, making sure to look each of you in the eye. Upon seeing a certain Tiefling, however, both ladies gasped.

"Marius! It's good to see you again! Are you performing today?"
"Marius! Oh I'm soo glad you've come today. Davy is in one of his moods."

The girls then looked to the rest of the group a bit sheepishly and one of them rose to meet you.

"Hello there. Welcome to The Verdant Leaf! I'm Mara and this is my sister Miley. Have you come to watch the performance? Or.. for something else?" The woman sauntered forward and her hands slid down the front of her clothes. Her right arm slipped over her skimpy garments as her hand rested in the crook of her right hip. Her grin was enchanting.

"Don't scare them off, Mara dear. Maybe they just want a drink." The other girl uncrossed and recrossed her legs, being careful to flash just a hint of what she might have to offer. She leaned her left elbow on the counter and began toying with a strand of her auburn hair. "If you're thirsty, sit at the bar. If you're hungry, grab a table. If you're lonely.." She let them fill in the blank themselves and winked.

Dalren and his companions move quietly to a table, he sits facing the room and proceeds to order a meal of meats and cheese with tea to drink. His eyes move over the crowd he scans for any conversations that might be of interest, listening to what he can and using his ability to read lips in order to gather information from further away.

Heather let out a moan as her cheeks blushed. "He.... he..llo." She piped up, gulping noticeably as she extended her hand.

"M... my name is Heather..." She said staring at Miley's chest as she extended a hand.

"Mara, Milly Always a delight." Marius sauntered up to the two women, taking their hands and kissing them with a slight bow, his tail flicking slightly as he gave the two ladies a smile. "Davy in a mood? Well normally I could put my voice to use fixing that, but i'm afraid I have some other business to which I must attend with this here new found friend of mine."

He said giving a gesture towards Haze.

"Unless my lady you would like to hear a song, at which point I would have to oblige the crowd, and steal the stage for a short moment."

He turned towards Haze giving her a soft if genuine smile.

"I think it's apparent by now that you picked up a stray, but I assure you though My face is odd, it tells no lies. I only wish to help in your task, and perhaps find a share of the profit, you mentioned trolls? I could possibly help with that."

"This city has been my home for many years, yet I do not believe I have seen such a pretty face before, I have a knack for faces and names you know. I tend to believe that I know a little of everyone, well everyone that travels in the right circles at least."

Mara watched one man seperate himself and move off to a table. She raised an eyebrow as a few others followed suit. The way they deferred to the blonde in white was interesting and she wondered if perhaps they were servants of a sort. "Hmm, perhaps he'll come around later. They usually do." She turned her attention back to those remaining near the door, just in case someone were to address her. They were customers after all and she was a business woman.

At Dalren's table, 6 could sit comfortably in a circle. He was barely seated when a barmaid strode up and took their orders, then disappeared to make sure they'd be prepared. With his back to the window, Dalren was positioned for a nice view of the entire pub. The table to his right was occupied by a pair of guards, likely off duty. Their attention was mostly on whatever kind of stew they were chugging down.

The table to his left had one occupant who sat in the corner of the room. This person's table was vacant except for an empty beer stein. It was also difficult to tell their race or gender since they had a scarf over their face, a hat on their head that was tipped forward and nondescript black clothing.

The two tables directly in front of Dalren were focused on the performance, and though the patrons did occasionally quip to each other, it was impossible to make out exact words.

In the meantime, Miley's attention was drawn to the young girl in glasses, and as she stammered an introduction, Miley almost giggled. "That's a lovely name, Heather. Just like you. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two about being sweet and innocent." She blew Heather a kiss. "Or maybe you need a firm hand to fix that stutter." Her hand smacked her upper thigh. "The price is the same either way, so you just let me know. " Miley's hand slid up to her hip, pulling her already short skirt up far past her thigh.

At that moment, Marius stepped forward to charm the sisters and they both responded with coos of affection. Miley and Mara visibly blushed as the tiefling kissed their hands. They seemed genuinely fond of this man and listened intently to his words.

Haze, on the other hand, was caught off-guard. She normally visited The Verdant Leaf during early morning hours for a quick breakfast before the city woke up. This usually meant she missed the working girls altogether, as well as most of the performers. She had mistaken this tiefling for a traveler because of how he stood out from the crowd but he was apparently a resident of New Emerald City. And to think she had congratulated herself on her skill at picking out helpful adventurers based solely on their appearance.

Haze would have scoffed at herself if Marius hadn't immediately offered a song. It wasn't that she wanted to hear one, but the way his voice bounced between playful and intimate made her curious. She smiled back at him, feeling her cheeks blush pink. "A song? Well, I don't know if we have time for- what? Oh, yes it's trolls that are plaguing the villages and settlements between Emerald River and Trollfen River. They've gone berserk. Pillaging, raiding and burning everything in- what? I.. umm.." Was he... flirting with her? He certainly had a way with words. Flattered, Haze grinned back and answered, "I was sent to monitor the situation. I've only been here a few weeks and most of my time has been spent either tracking troll raiding parties or giving counsel to the governor."

"I've heard about the attacks. Plenty of folks here have. With all them refugees pouring in, it's hard not to know. Crazy how one minute them trolls are trying to be civilized and work with the settlers and the next killing 'em and eating 'em for dinner." Mara shrugged as her grin crept back onto her face. Maybe someone would find a way to deal with the trolls but that wasn't her lot in life.

Heather blushes at being called lovely. Moaning at the blown kiss, and the flash of thigh.

However as Marius takes their attention, Heather sits down nearby, glaring jealously and possessively.

"I'm suprised Mom and Dad haven't sent me any info. We live just north east of the Troll fen." She comments more neutrally at Haze.

Marius smiled, seeing that he had knocked the gnome girl off her feet. He had a fondness for women he could knock off their guard, and seeing her blush was well worth the price of killing the trolls. That plus any money that they were going to sweep up from the govenor would be well worth the time spent on this little mission. When she said that they had no time for music he made a soft 'tsk' noise. "Now now my dear."

"This pace may feed the stomach, and these ladies feed desire, but only a song can feed the soul, and there has never been a moment in my life where finding a song for a lady hasn't been worth it, or a moment where it has been too time taxing. You said it yourself that we have an hour and a half before we meet the governor of the land, so surely you can lend me your ear for five minutes."

"Who sent you love?" He looked around for a moment. "I like to know the people I work for, a tiefling with shadowy contacts never lasts long, and I'm assuming it's government."

He looked around at the rest of the party. "That actually goes for the rest of you. I'd prefer to know the men and women." He passed Heather and Rini a soft smile assuring that he hadn't forgotten eather of the young woman, though Rini was a different matter, she was practically the same age as his daughter, and he wasn't entirely sure if he was comfortable with that.

"I'm sure I would take requests from each of you in time, though for today, it is our host's choice, pick an emotion or something you would wish to feel while you have your meal, and I'm sure I could play something suitible on this old thing dear Haze."

Rini gave a little yelp when the urchin bumped into her. The synchronized stumble was suspicious, but she wasn't fast enough to grab the child before he made his escape. The young redhead gave a soft groan and dug around in her purse to see if her walking around money had been carried off. She tried to keep the bulk of her coin in an inside pocket of her backpack, and only keep a few days of walking around money in her purse, but she didn't particularly have much money, and never really had.

Strut picked up on his girl's distress and hissed after the fleeing urchin.

Rini checked her purse to see what had gone, then glanced up at Heather, catching her stuttering and furrowing her brow curiously. “Heather, are you o... Hey, where are you going?”

She was relieved when Darlen was able to bring her old friend back. Touching the minstrel on the shoulder, she spoke up, “My name's Rini, and I for one would love your help. These trolls sound pretty terrifying. I want to do something about it, but I know I need all the help I can get!”

The working girl's made Rini blush and stammer—her fair, freckled cheeks didn't do much to hide the burn! She gave a little 'meep' when Heather proved quite susceptible to their seduction....

Her back straightened and her eyes widened. Then her jaw firmed. Though still pouting, she strode up to heather and took her by the arm. “Come on, Heather, let's have some lunch and figure out what we can do about these trolls.”

She tried to drag the wizard girl over to the table and sat down, trying to get Heather next to her.

The ginger tomcat leaped up into her lap. She flashed a smile to the minstrel. “My name's Rini Hostler,” she explained, “I guess I already told you that part. I strive to do Chaunteah's work in the mortal world. I guess you could call me a druid. This is Strut,” she indicated the cat, “And my scatterbrained friend here is Heather.”

"Hello ladies," Roland said, a wide smile appearing on his face as the two women approached their eclectic looking group. His eyes lingered on Mara's chest before he moved to join the others at their table. "While I'd love to take you up on that offer, at the moment I have a need for food before anything else." His stomach gave a small rumble at that, to which the young noble gave a sheepish smile. "See what I mean?"

Seeing that several of the others going to a table Roland joined them, taking a seat next to Rini. "Fair enough, Marius was it? The name's Roland, pleased to meet you all." His chain shirt clinked lightly as he sat down. "Not much else to say about me, I'm mostly just a wanderer who heard about the troll problem that's been happening and came as soon as I could to help out."

Aradis looked around curiously when they entered the tavern, his eyes going wide when he realized the full extent of what was available from both the kitchens and the serving staff. With Haze busy and the other women apparently utterly taken with each other, he soon clambered up first onto a chair and then onto the table. He looked around the tavern for a few moments before pointing towards Mara. "Excuse me, miss. First, it has been a very long time since I've tasted alcohol, and while I would very much like to jump headfirst into one of your barrels it would be better if you please brought me some watered down wine until I recover my taste for the fine nectar. Second," he lifted a hand, the air shimmering before a black scroll appeared in his hand. Dropping it onto the table he rolled it out. "I'd be most grateful if you could be more specific as to where these trolls are coming from. And third," he pointed to the toy frog, "if you'd be so kind as to bring a small bowl of water for my friend here."

Dalren simply continues eating and talking with his companions all the while listening to others and reading lips when possible to gather information.

Rini had no problem getting Heather next to her. Pulling her stool closer to the druid. Heather rested her head, against either Rini's arm, or her chest, depending on how she was sitting.

"I'm not scatterbrained!" She protested opening her mouth wildly, as she looked up at Rini.

Haze had been visibly flustered by Marius' charming ways. She had to admit he was good with words. She almost wanted to hear him sing. As the others slowly filed to a pair of round, six-person tables in front of the Market street windows, Haze followed. She seated herself and glanced over at Heather as they heard a little more information about the attacks.

"Your parents, where do they live? I haven't tracked any raiding parties north of the Trollfen yet, but that's only because there are so many attacking south of that river. I hope their village is safe, but if you want to send word, I would understand. We may want to use magic services for that though, since messengers to that area are restricted to military and registered militia only." Haze gave Heather a consoling smile, then turned her attention once again to the dashing Marius.

He really did have a way with words, but he was right. With an hour and a half to kill, even if they all ate slowly, they would have plenty of time for a short song. And they should probably also know who it was they would be working for."I am an Ambassador for the Crown. Officially I work for King Jerith, but it was his son, Prince Byron, who sent me. I had been negotiating various treatises with Queen Ione of the Nymphs when I was called here." She left unsaid what was obvious: that she had just come from the war-torn area around The Jungle of Blood and The Trollmar Swamp. Even though the war had ended 7 years ago, it was still fresh in the mind of those refugees. Haze had been doing important diplomatic work if she had been out there, which meant the Crown must have felt like this situation was serious.

The gnome woman took a moment to meet all the faces around her and said hello to each of them. Now she knew names, which was better than vague physical descriptors or hey-you's.

Mara and Miley noted the interest from this ragtag group and migrated over to the table as well. They pulled up two chairs, with Mara beside the one called Roland, and Miley beside Marius. They were in no hurry, and decided to join the travelers for a meal. But as the sisters sauntered over, the gnome man mistook them for waitresses. The girls grinned and Mara corrected him. "Oh, sweet thing, we're not waitresses. We can take orders and we can serve you, but it's an entirely different kind of orders and serving. But we'll call a waitress over for you." When the waitress stopped by again, Mara ordered a stout ale for everyone and Miley ordered bread with spread for the table.

The waitress took everyone's lunch and drink orders before dashing back to the kitchen. Mara giggled as Roland's stomach growled, knowing that she'd have a client later. Miley batted her long lashes at Heather and Rini across the table. With any luck, she would have a client as well.. or two.

The girls watched Aradis remove a scroll and throw it down onto the table. They thought at first that it was some sort of magic, but it looked to just be a map. Intrigued, they both looked it over. Mara then ran her finger in a line through the fertile plains inbetween the Trollfen and Emerald Rivers. "In here. The troll tribes live to the north and west of the Trollfen, so the river has been a natural barrier for the folks living and working in the valley there. But the rains didn't fall as hard this year, so the Trollfen has been lower than usual. Some folks say that's why they crossed." She shrugged and returned to Roland's side.

"I got family out near there, a sister and her husband. Last I heard, the trolls ain't come south of the Emerald River, but I ain't heard from her in a month now. Hope she's alright." Miley added her thoughts as well, and indicated an area to the south and west of the Emerald River, near the west end of where the Emerald met the Trollfen.

The waitress returned shortly with one round of ale and delicious bread things. She raised an eyebrow at Aradis strange request, but as long as he paid for his meal, he could order a King's Feast for his toy frog. The acrobatic performers looked to be finishing up another segment of their act and the folks watching them burst into the thunderous applause. Haze glanced back at Marius, who was now seated beside her, and tried to think of an emotion for the tiefling to play.

"Bravery," she finally said. She had seen first hand how ruthless these trolls were, and now she was about to lead or send yet another band of bleeding heart mercenaries off to go fight. Bravery was something they'd need in spades.

Marius took each introduction with stride. hearing that they were out to slay some trolls he didn't know if he completely regretted tossing his lot in with theirs, or if he was just anticipating a battle, and hearing how this was going he was sure that sooner or later they would have wound up at this city, which had cargo too precious to let fall into the hands of trolls.

"Well than I can't say I regret this decision. If you'll excuse me for a moment." He said lightly standing as Haze selected her emotion. Bravery was such a difficult thing to inspire at times like these, and yet what else did a bard live for? He walked towards the stage, muttering something under his breath he blew dust from his hands, which turned into several stage lights brightening the stage, almost dancing around him as he turned towards the crowd.

There was another soft utterance of magic, some would have assumed that a bard would actually pick up his lute, but that had actually been left at the seat he had taken. As he started to sing he tapped his foot, and each time his foot made contact with the ground it was like a beat of drum was being played.

As he sang he swayed his hips slightly, keeping the beat, moving his arms to play his invisible drum set, each motion half dance, half magical illusion to help him produce sound as he sang. When his voice eminated off the stage it was less like one solitary voice and more like a group.

~~~
OOC:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCjkuCJrxq0[/video]
Spells used: Dancing lights, and minor illusion.
Rolls: Perform 22, and 07 was for my band selection

Heather who had been busy staring at Miley had only clapped at the previous when she heard everything else doing so.

"Huh." She mumbled, before shaking her head to clear it. "Aw, you poor thing!" Heather heard reaching up and stroking Miley's face when she heard about the concern over her siblings.

When Heather leaned against her chest, Rini gave a happy sigh and wrapped an arm around the other girl's waist. She held her peace ofr a while, enjoying the company and dealing with the displeasure in the pit of her stomach over the violence in across the river. "I hope we can help..."

Aradis cheerfully munched upon a piece of the bread as the girl's indicated the rough location of the trolls. "Splendid!" he announced, ripping off a small piece of bread and precariously balancing it on his shoulder for Neville the frog. "I'm sure we can help, though I suspect that the help we offer will not be seen as very helpful by the trolls. As they've proven themselves to be most unfriendly I suspect it won't go over very well if we suggest that they, for example, learn to become farmers."

Roland eyed the map Aradis had placed on the table, looking at the river that had, until recently, served as a barrier between the local people and the trolls. He then looked up as Haze explained the reason behind her presence. "I met the Prince in passing once," he said, idly tracing the Trollfen with one finger. "He seemed an intelligent sort, so I imagine he wouldn't have sent you if you weren't capable."

The young noble tapped his foot along to the beat of Marius' music, enjoying the sound of it as he enjoyed the presence of the lovely woman beside him. "Don't worry ladies," he said, grinning at Mara and Miley, "We'll do our best to push the tide of trolls back before they can do any more harm."

The overtones of Marius' song brought the pub to life. Patrons and employees alike clapped along to the beat as the mood visibly shifted from dreary to hopeful. At some point, Mara and Miley even got up and joined Marius on stage, providing sultry interpretation of the tiefling's inspiring lyrics. When it was over, he received thunderous applause and several of the patrons tipped him heartily.

[[Marius receives 21 silver pieces]]

As Marius returned to the table and the acrobats reappeared on the stage, the feeling of courage lingered. The patrons were suddenly rowdier, but the waitresses were sassier and unafraid. The bartender had a perkiness in his step and even the owner seemed merry. Mara and Miley reclaimed their seats with added spunk, and each girl planted a big kiss on the cheeks of their respective neighbors (Mara to Roland and Miley to Marius).

Haze smiled at everyone. Her spirits felt lifted and strengthened as well, and she was all too eager to spend the next hour or so planning a route and discussing strategies for their meeting with the governor.

When at least the time came, Haze and the others made their way outside and she bid her farewells to the pub and it's denizens. The Verdant Leaf had indeed been a good source of information, but everyone had so little that she couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. Those from New Emerald City didn't pay much attention to the rural farming communities outside the city walls, and the refugees were either too scared or still in shock and were of little help. There were a few bits that stuck out to Haze though, and she'd remember to mention them at the meeting, if she needed to.

The walk to the city center was uneventful this time. The sun was well past midday and many of the hollow faces were busy preparing whatever vermin they happened to catch for a meager meal. Those still out along the main road were the very old and very desperate. Most didn't even have begging pans because they weren't panhandling. A few would throw the coins back at their charitable owners in disgust, but the vast majority accepted whatever humble generosity came their way.

At the gatehouse, a new guard stopped the group in their tracks and demanded identification. Haze presented a small book and mentioned the meeting. Whether it was something seen in the book or the aforementioned rendezvous, the guard's demeanor did an about-face and he unlatched the gate with a smile. The Mansion grounds were modest, but entirely too rich for a city so young and ripe with problems. The estate loomed ahead, another 60 feet or so, but again the group was met by guards. This pair wielded one halberd each with an ease that hinted at many years of combat training. One guard took point while the other waited for the group to pass and brought up the rear.

Thusly, everyone was marched into the stately mansion, past the solid oak doors and into an ornate foyer just off the main entrance hall. There they waited for several minutes, with the halberd guards standing at the arched entryway to the foyer, until a lovely young lady appeared and bid the guards farewell.

"Good afternoon. I apologize for your wait, but the Governor will see you now." She lead the group down the main hall past several other rooms where various servants and staff busied themselves with chores, all dressed in similar white or black gowns. At the end of the long hall, she paused in front of a tall oaken door and rapped lightly on it before turning the handle. "Governor Matisse? They will see you now." As she opened the door further and allowed them entry, she stepped back and bowed her head with hands clasped in front of her.

The room was grandiose but lacking in appeal. A large rectangular table filled most of the space, with chairs enough for 16 people to sit. At the far end and what was likely the back wall of the mansion was a fireplace with an ornate mantle, but only a bronze timepiece rested on it. The rug under the table was exquisite, but threadbare in places. There were paintings hung on the walls, but all were old and chipping. At the head of the table sat a middle aged man, with an unpleasant grin.

"Greetings, adventurers, Hazelthyst, and welcome to my humble abode. Nevermind the draft, damn thing is falling apart as we speak. So, I'll get straight to it. The trolls are a menace and I need someone to do something about them. They have ransacked nearly every settlement south of the Trollfen River, and all attempts at negotiation have failed. I have a standing reward for anyone willing to take care of them, but I need something done fast. New Emerald City is overburdened as it is. We can't take any more refugees and we're the only open city for miles. All the surrounding Lords and Ladies and barred their gates and are waiting out this storm. Please. We are desperate. My men know of two scout groups near the Emerald River, just north of town, and a large encampment at one of the bigger farms near there. The tribal chief is Ungrak. If you can find him and slay him, I'm sure his forces will scatter. If not.. well, then I fear the worst is yet to come."

If you will permit sir my people will stay here and try to balance out some of the refugees. It is appalling the others in the area are unwilling to help in this situation. I think it quite generous of you to still call them lords and ladies.

My land is fairly prosperous and I feel honor bound to help you if you would simply tell my steward what you require we will see about starting shipments of supplies and even laborers or more men at arms. It is obvious you are being overtaxed by this burden; however, I still saw you turning away no one. Ashos is not close so it will take time to send ships; furthermore, if the burden of so many people is too much currently we will gladly open our ports to refugees from to ease that as well.

Dalren has no trouble making his opinions known about those unwilling to help and offers as much assistance as he can think of now. He motions towards Gareth as he speaks of supplies the intent is obvious. (get to work)

I did wish to ask one favor, while I am here if I find any promising persons might I invite them to my school to undergo training? I would not wish you to think I am trying to steal your citizens however it seems you suffer from an overabundance.

Heather pouted when Miley didn't kiss her cheek, but did no more having no problem following the rest of the group out of the inn. Thankfully the frail seeming wizard had no problems keeping up with the group, following their quick strides with long ones of her own.

Entering the mayor's abode, Heather couldn't help but giggle as she looked at the pretty young lady, Heather hid her blushing cheeks with Rini's body, proceeding to nakededly ogle when the young lady bowed in front of them

"What information can your scouts tell us about the chief's camp layout?" She commented to the mayor, still distracted from all the recent pretty ladies, but eager to be seen as the heroine of the city. Immediately, Heather's inner mind turned to fantasizing about how the girls of the city would treat all of them, but mostly her.

Roland grinned as Mara planted a kiss on his cheek, the young man applauding along with the rest of the tavern as Marius finished his song. With the mood of the tavern greatly lightened by the song the time seemed to pass more quickly, and before long they were being led into the governor's mansion for their meeting. Listening to the man he couldn't help but agree, the situation was fast approaching the tipping point and unless this Ungrak was slain things would likely get even worse.

"Then I suppose the question is whether we should strike at their scouts first, to weaken their force and deny any information to them, or to seek out Ungrak and slay him in the hopes that the rest of his people scatter into the wind." Roland paused for a moment, clearly thinking about the issue. "Is there anything that you can tell us about Ungrak? Anything that might help us in removing him from the realm of the living?"

Marius walked with the group, he always enjoyed his little shows, but was a little more lost in thought. He had never really been the hero type. The lover type sure, but a fighter? he was far from the greatest sword in all the land, and when it came to his short bow he was only an mildly okay shot. He could sing about bravery all day long but he couldn't really say he was very brave.

The mention of troll slaying was not really his objective, though if they did overwhelm this city than he would loose far more than he had bargained for. It seemed in his bid to attempt to be a gnome layer he had ended up volunteering for some action he was slightly considering regretting. By the time they got to the governors manor however those thoughts were washed away with the display of wealth all around him.

It only seemed natural that a man would keep the fairer sex as servants. It was their natural place to serve as the slave and the whore, to assure that all around them were happy, his eyes went from the servants to the women about them, which he was still struggling to remember the names of. Oh he had the names of the men down pat, but aside from his current target Haze he couldn't recall the other two, and was less impressed with heather whose eyes seemed to be searching out the same women he was.

His eyes were of course drawn to his favorite target the gnome, Haze he had at least learned her name, and so distracted was he with the gnomes features, that he wasn't really paying attention to the gentleman speaking. The ritch bored him excessively.

While he would see himself or his daughter raised to the state of nobility through marriage he knew full well that the life of land owners was one of taxation, and middle management. It was safe, benign and mostly filled with busy work. The man's scars were of some interest, but even if he had been an adventurer back in his day that had apparently stopped when something had hit him, most probably in the knee since he walked with some sort of stick.

When he did speak it was polight but meandering, asking the only question he could find that really affected him. "Are we so sure that if you cut off the head the body will die? Trolls are dumb, but they are not mindless, we could end up replacing their warbands leader with one worse, or setting loose a dozen smaller war bands?"

Rini frowned, shivering a little at memories of an ordeal where only Chaunteah's intervention was all that gave her the strength to survive and protect her family.

“Trolls are not complete cowards,” the young redhead spoke up with gravity and authority that seemed more suited to someone twice her size and three times her age. “A simple bloody nose won't back them down. Ultimately, though, they must be dealt with like any other bully. Only a meaningful show of strength will plant enough fear in their hearts for them to leave us alone. No matter how strong we are, we few alone cannot plant that fear in an entire nation.

“What his excellency suggests seems to me the best plan. A succession war among the trolls will be short and brutal. The triumphant chieftain will likely not have the strength to hold this full force together.”

She turned to the nobleman then, “It is not a long term solution, though, your excellency. You must persuade the lords of the land to organize a unified show of force.”

Rini looked back and forth between her new friends. “As to an imediate assault on the chieftain? In a way it seems the best tactic. Try to put him in the grave before they realize that we exist. I don't think it will work, though. I am not a strong girl. I have fighting experience and Chaunteah's blessing, but I would like us to start by ambushing enemy scouts or opposing an enemy raid. I hope we can grow stronger quickly with such experience, but if nothing else we will learn to work better as group.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom