Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's Your Username Mean?

Dr. Nibbles

Supernova
Hey! Doc here. I was mulling about this today about the origins of my name. Dr. Nibbles was not always a doctor. At first she was a he and was a Daemon Prince of Chaos.

99120102058_CSMTerminatorCommand05.jpg

(Ignore the images atop) This is what his model looked like. Now If you're not familiar with Warhammer, demon prince are traditionally large creatures with big wings, wepaons and teeth. This guys was the size of my thumb nail and nibbled his way into my heart.

Some months passed and I took on the Handle Lord Nibbles... eventually turning to Mr. Nibbles for more formal places. And evenually I transitioned and wanted a more androgynous handle, but still maintaining the class true to the Dark Lord: thusly, Dr. Nibbles.

So do any of you have any intereting stories to tell? Or maybe you just want to shed the light on your name? Lets spill some beans.

ahh Warhammer 40k! A great game and a great place to take your name from Dr. Nibbles. I love the story of that universe.

As for me my name is fairly simple, I normally go by the name 'Praetorian' which is a term that in ancient Rome was used to refer to the best of the best, The Praetorian Guard, and in the Roman Empire they were the Emperors personal cohorts. They would get paid 3 times that of a normal Roman soldier who already fetched home a healthy amount of denari. They mostly took part in civil duties like looking after Rome, guarding palaces and policing the streets however when they went out into the battle field they were a force to be reckoned with.

On this site unfortunately Praetorian has been taken! So I've gone with Praetorian_Prefect, referring to the leader of a Praetorian guard. This man would be so powerful in Rome that it was unheard of for someone to rise to that level of power through climbing the ranks, one would normally only get such a position through the emperor assigning it to you. These Prefects would be so powerful in Rome that some would go on to become Emperors themselves, and they were often the foremost voice of Military advise for the emperor.

Because of this they're the bonafide badasses of Ancient Rome, so that's why I choose them as my namesake.

Great topic for a thread!

I love roses, I love the color red, I wanted something feminine and easy to remember.

Forbidden Fruit is a bit self explanatory. What drew me to it is that some people believe that its a biblical metaphor for sex. I liked that subtle meaning. I like the short version "Fruit" as well. I'm glad I thought of it really.

Benny is a warped version of my actual name, which is not English. And the Q comes from the movie John Q. Simply threw the two together and viola, BennyQ is born.

I was being stalked on my old username by my ex boyfriend. I was making up one on the spot and it just kinda popped into my head. I like things that rhyme, too. So that's part of it.

Plus now I love being called Little Bear. It's cute. :blush:

HeyThereLittleBear said:
I was being stalked on my old username by my ex boyfriend. I was making up one on the spot and it just kinda popped into my head. I like things that rhyme, too. So that's part of it.

Plus now I love being called Little Bear. It's cute. :blush:

Heh, I thought it was from the TV show :)

As far as mine, not really all that exciting. Its how i wanted my name to be spelled since i was little. I think I saw the Fox reporter once when I was young and then and there i didnt like how my name was actually spelled.

ive had so many different forum names over the years i finally just decided why not pick the one name i always wanted to have?

Honestly my username came back when I was a freshman in highschool. I stupidly didn't use spellcheck when making an account on Adventure Quest. Was supposed to have the name Malevolence but I used an E in place of the A. So ever since I just sort of used this spelling. Cuz I'm weird.

That's easy. And = Andy. Nich = Nichole. The 123 has no meaning. The first time I used the user name on another site, AndNich was already taken. So I added the numbers and they stuck.

I'm a tad regretful of my username; I based it on an old email address purely out of laziness, because when I first signed up I didn't expect to spend much time here. Now I wish I had chosen something more distinctive!

DeRe said:
I'm a tad regretful of my username; I based it on an old email address purely out of laziness, because when I first signed up I didn't expect to spend much time here. Now I wish I had chosen something more distinctive!

I like your username! However, if you want, you can always ask for a username change. Just message an admin :)

I was playing Final Fantasy 8 at the time when I started posting in forums. The original name was Leonheart21. I didn't realize until after that I had spelled the main character's last name incorrectly. I've kept it ever since and have only used Leonheart on places where it wasn't already taken.

Forbidden Fruit said:
Forbidden Fruit is a bit self explanatory. What drew me to it is that some people believe that its a biblical metaphor for sex. I liked that subtle meaning. I like the short version "Fruit" as well. I'm glad I thought of it really.

Fruit is a really cute nickname :p

Xanaphia was an early D&D character of mine. Anyone with a 3rd edition player's handbook might recognize it as one of the suggested names for a female elf. And Xana ends up as a cute nickname, so I kept it.

Quixotic was taken, so added the Mr in front of it, and it came about not because I can identify with Don Quixote, but with the "impulsive and often rashly unpredictable," meaning of the word. Particularly in regard to interpersonal relations and how I might mesh/communicate with or react to one person completely differently as opposed to another in the exact same circumstances based on an intuitive 'chemistry' I feel, but can't logically explain or define.

Forbidden Fruit said:
DeRe said:

I like your username! However, if you want, you can always ask for a username change. Just message an admin :)

Aw thanks Fruit. But I must learn to live with the consequences of my decisions!

xanaphia said:
Xanaphia was an early D&D character of mine. Anyone with a 3rd edition player's handbook might recognize it as one of the suggested names for a female elf. And Xana ends up as a cute nickname, so I kept it.

That's a rad meaning for a name. Especially 3rd ed. How long have you been playing DnD?

DeRe said:
Aw thanks Fruit. But I must learn to live with the consequences of my decisions!

Mad respect.

I feel like I've told this story here before... Oh well.

Trygon is a mistranslation, actually. It's meant to be 'Trigon', an alternative term for a triangle used in geometry, but the localizers of Breath of Fire 3 switched a letter, and that's what my young self glommed onto. The version with a y is notable for being german for 'stingray', which has led to it's adoption in Warhammer and Magic for giant horrorshow creatures.

Which suits me fine, really~

My occasional other moniker, Nicholas, is a very literal interpretation of the term 'nickname'. It's my Nick name.

The Corsair.

Ah, well, I go through mad bouts of Doctor Who fandom, and I've always thought pirates were cool, and female pirates were dead sexy as well. On the ocean, in the sky, in space, wherever. (I played a lot of Spelljammer, for that very reason.)

So, around the time I joined, I'd just finished watching (maybe rewatching) the Doctor Who episode "The Doctor's Wife", which described in passing the swashbuckling gender-swapping Time Lord calked "the Corsair". Sure, he was killed before the episode even started, but the little it said about her made him sound badass.

And so, a user name was born.

Sadly, it's actually "TheCorsair" because I didn't think spaces would work in a user name. :(

Last edited:
I know the username is Japanese however, I'm not really sure what it means in Japanese. As I said before, it was my mom who told me the name. She'd read it in a story and in the story they gave it what it meant.

I don't know if they were taking the meaning from the Japanese language or from somewhere else entirely. Or if she took it from the language and gave it her own meaning.

But from where I got the name the meaning was Capturing Destiny.

Well. It combines one of my favorite hobbies along with one of the 'mascots' of an old camp I used to work at.

Thus, Sailing Sam.

Unoriginal, but I've always liked it and its by far my favorite online username ^_^

Mine comes from a poem I used to keep on the wall over my computer, put there to remind me that only those who dared to dream could have their dreams come true. I would always glance at it when I sat down to write. Still have that poem but its not on the wall anymore.

Anyone here remember the X-Files? My sister and I are HUGE X-files fans. Always have been, probably always will be. Because I watched the show 'religiously', and also because I was curious about the paranormal, especially investigating it, my family started calling me SpookyJoann. When I registsered here and couldn't think of a login name, I tried SpookyJoann and it was available :D

Back
Top Bottom