Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Star Wars: Crucible of Shadows) Ep 1. Ch. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the gathering around Melaara disipated, Tasya shook off her doubts about the operations security (it was probably just paranoia at dealing with civvies after all). Tidying herself up as much as she could, she approached the captain and offered her hand. "Scout Rurik, Bastion Gardeners Association, at your service. I... apologize if I step on any toes while aboard, I'm still adjusting to the change in employers as it is."

"Well, if you need me Captain, I'll be here." Jax said quietly to the four armed female. He stepped back and began to help stacking crates. His wiry strength wasn't near the equal of many of the arrivals. He kept an eye on each as they announced themselves, nodding at the ones that actually acknowledged the stray human in the midst of so many aliens. He didn't care one or another about species, but attitude went a long way to determining how he work with an individual. So far, the group seemed well able to fend for themselves as solos, time would tell how they would work together. This "garden" idea, or whatever it was, seemed farfetched, but as long as he got paid, he do the hours.

Jet_varik_twilek_fringer_by_bluedisciple-d93mz7l.jpg

Avara Mirim

"Of course, master," the purle girl in the little black dress replied to Kaloh. She bowed to him gracefully.

"A pleasure to meet you all. I am honored to be Captain Kaloh's humble servent, Avara Mirim. My chain sister is Nira."

It was around that time that a matched pair of hovering droids presented Melara and Mirim. "Cargo upload complete," one of them reported.

"Fuel and full standard provisioning have been provided for both ships," the other added in an identicle voice with complimentary inflection.

"As per the terms of your contract with the Herdship," the first continued, "Dr. Fandomir has instructed us to transfer the downpayment now."

The droids each presented a cerdit chip to Melaara and Mirim. Mirim drew out the ship's credstick and accepted the transfer.

"Thank you," she told the droid, "Reception of payment confirmed."

The downpayment was suficient to give a full share of 500 credits to each crewmember--including one to be split between Nira and Mirim--and two shared for the upkeep of each ship.

The droids then presented data crystals. "Holontet uploads of the jump coordiates," the first droid explained. "Current as to 0300 hours this monring."

The second droid inquired, "Is there any other service we may provide?" The bulk of the loading droids began to trundle out of the docking bay on their treads.

[img=200x300 align=right]https://mayhemandmuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sakimichan-photoshop-digital-painting-manga-anime-character-photorealistic-life-like.jpg[/img]

Raynee Novi

Raynee kept showing herself serious and formal even when she felt uncomfortable at the presence of slaves, it mattered little to her how good he seemed to treat them or if there seemed to be enough trust between them so they were given weapons to help protect themselves. They could be combat trained slaves and have their will already broken so they wouldn't try to escape or do anything harmful to him, or maybe something even worse if he was a force user. That demanded her attention but Raynee cursed her luck as they were going in different ships so this would have to wait but she couldn't abandon her disguise, not just yet.

Raynee decided to finally step forward and greet Melaara as well as no one else seemed to be arriving, "Officer Novi reporting to duty Ma'am. It seems everything is under control here so should I take positions into the ship already or do you have any request?". Out of everyone Melaara was the one she trusted more as she was personally chosen to take over this mission, perhaps she knew something more than what she was told, she would try to find out soon.

Why does Seska has to be so secretive, she wondered, well I am too so guess we're even. Standing there in front of the Falcon's captain Raynee awaited for Melaara's response while immerse in her own thoughts.

Kamran could tell that he had irked Kaloh, but he remained in place, waiting for a response to his request. The Imperial Knight kept his features neutral, but internally he could not help but wonder about this fellow. He knew little about Kaloh, but he had noticed the two females accompanying him and their evident slave attire. Kamran himself did not view slavery as inherently evil, but he thought that it helped to show someone's character a bit. What was more, the way the fellow held up a finger to him made Kamran think that this fellow viewed himself as being a bit better than others. After all, the action was quite dismissive.

But when Kaloh turned and walked off, only answering Kamran with a nod, the Chiss followed. He waited until they were walking up the boarding ramp to speak, "I do hope that you are not to put off by my being here. It seems that you and your two companions aren't used to having visitors on board. At least that is the feeling that I get."

With a brief smile to herself Chadra bowed to the Codru-Ji with aplomb. "I'll just make myself comfortable in the Elysium's engineering bay. Get her prepped and ready for lift off." With that she turned and stalked off revealing the massive blaster pistol seated against the small of her back besides a brace of small knives, and disappeared into the ship.

As they approached the ship, Kaloh's mood visibly improved, and it wasn't difficult to see why. Elysuim was a beautiful ship, and thus far had no scars to limit that beauty. Once the ramp lowered and the interior was present, however, the impact of its beauty would only increase. This ship may have been designed for combat, but it was furnished for comfort and luxury. His initial response to Kamran was simply a chuckle, gesturing around once they were on board. "What do you think?" he asked in response to the question.

He waited a moment to let his visitor take in a look around before continuing. "Elysium has 9 rooms, 6 of which have never known a guest. Half of those rooms will lose that distinction by the end of the night. But every endeavor has costs. Such is life. Such is business." He turned to face Kamran. "Such is war."

Mewbidhwia.jpg

As the ships was finished being filled up, Nikita started to close out all the access points she made. While it would be easier to just pull the plug and go inside, she wanted to see if anyone had accessed any of the sensors, droids, or "her" ship, the Crimson Falcon.

She already had the two middle cabins checked as occupied, so any thatf the crew or passengers could choose was the two closer to the promenade and the bridge, or the two closer to the passanger lounge/galley. She was curious who would chose whitch, and if the Captain kept the crew quarters next to the bridge to herself.

While not really standing around for any conversation, she would not hide fully either, anyone having questions or just stopping her for a conversation could do so... but she was careful, always having a sturdy crate, droid, or just parts of the ships to hide behind in case of a firefight.

She only went inside when nobody and nothing seemed to move any more. With a last look around the outside of the ship, the Chiss girl recalled the tiny Holocam Droid that was helping her make a recording of everything for later study, and closed up the ship for travel. While it was automatically signalled on the bridge, Nikita made sure to inform the Captain through the intercom if she was not near.

"The ship holds is filled to capacity, everything needed and everyone who arrived are on board, and I just buttoned us up for space... Ready for your orders, Captain Veran."

Melaara spared one more glance at Kaloh as the other captain walked away to board his own ship. She also glanced for a moment between his two slaves wearing collars that symbolized their status. Her fingers absently went to her neck as she remembered the man whose pups she now carried marking her in a similar fashion. She had mostly resisted, of course, but the dark knight had found a way into her heart, regardless, and had of course left her with something to remember him by.

The codru'ji captain was still lost in such thoughts as Tasya approached her. She blinked and then offered the other woman a soft smile. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Scout Rurik. Please don't worry, I am still adjusting to the responsibility over so many crew, and well," she glanced down at her swollen belly and then chuckled, "I've been known to step on a few toes, myself, being that I can't even see mine anymore."

It only took a moment to conclude her business with the droids, with one of Kaloh's slaves, the beautiful purple twi'lek apparently handling his portion of the affairs. His other slave, a very stern looking nagai seemed to just stand by the twi'lek still taking everything in. She didn't appear to be armed, but Melaara knew full well that appearances could be deceiving and that she could be hiding just about anything under that cloak.

She was just about done with the droids when she was approached by Raynee. Offering a smile, she greeted the other woman, "Well met, Officer Novi. I would say it isn't too soon to take up your position as it seems we are more or less ready to depart." She paused for a moment, biting her lip as she wondered whether she was just imagining that something seemed to be bothering the other woman. Finally she spoke again, "Is everything alright, Miss Novi?"

Melaara was just boarding the Falcon when she received Nikita's message through the ship's intercom. "Thank you very much for the confirmation, Nikita. My orders are simple- it's time to get this mission underway, and may the Force be with us."

Crimson Falcon and Elysium entered hyperspace with the same calculations. They came out simultaneously, three days later, in the depths of space well outside of the Donovan System. It's sun was just a particularly bright yellow star ahead of them. They would need about a half a day to get to Donovan Five from there.

Any force sensitives reflexively hiding their presence, roll Use the Force to do so.

On the bridge of the Crimson Falcon, Cassandra inquired, “Hey, Nikita. Do you think while we're in deep space, you could set up a tight beam communication with Elysium so we can all discuss the mission?

“Melara, can you tell us more? Like, what was that thing about a garden? Was it just a password or are we actually planting something? And how should we go about investigating the Sith? I think I read there's two continents down there. Should we split between them?”

The Chiss girl nodded "Can do..." while her fingers played on the keys of the board in front of her. Establishing secure communication, and making it just strong enough to reach the other ship, making sure that it went out in only that direction... Nikita evcen tried to use the other ship's possibilities, as much as the programs as the built of the communication systems. Maybe it took more than usually, but she was making sure to have the best, tightest two way communication, like there was an elastic cable between the two ships. Following their every move, keeping the connection open even if there was need to maneuver or if the distance grew by parting their ways. Adding a level of enscription to it too, if it was possible.

Or at least until there was something or someone in the vicinity who could detect it, which would be noticed and indicated on both ends.

<taking 10, using Technology Knowledge, Mechanics and Computer Use... 25/25/33>

kckolbe said:
As they approached the ship, Kaloh's mood visibly improved, and it wasn't difficult to see why. Elysuim was a beautiful ship, and thus far had no scars to limit that beauty. Once the ramp lowered and the interior was present, however, the impact of its beauty would only increase. This ship may have been designed for combat, but it was furnished for comfort and luxury. His initial response to Kamran was simply a chuckle, gesturing around once they were on board. "What do you think?" he asked in response to the question.

He waited a moment to let his visitor take in a look around before continuing. "Elysium has 9 rooms, 6 of which have never known a guest. Half of those rooms will lose that distinction by the end of the night. But every endeavor has costs. Such is life. Such is business." He turned to face Kamran. "Such is war."
Kamran followed the other man aboard, his steps even, militaristic and march like. It was something he could not help doing, having been a stormtrooper before he was ever trained in the force. Once he was on the ship his

Nikita's tight beam hail was received on the bridge of Elysium. Kamran was in easy position to answer it, though it could be from any station.

The sensors didn't show Nikita any surprises. A caster of solid planets in the inner system, gas giants and asteroid fields in the outer. There were two residual ion trails close enough for her to detect, both about intense enough for a heavy freighter or a frigate. One was close to a month old, the other more like five days.

That only meant that she would try to follow the trails both way, just as an exercise against boredom. Both ion trails were on similar trajectories to theirs, came out of hyperspace in the outskirts of the system, adjusted course towards the inhabited planet, and proceeded under a reasonable amount of engine power. Could be routine traffic. If these coordinates are readily available, it would explain why they came out of hyperspace within a few 10s of thousands of kilometers. Nikita would follow them, as they cruised closer to the planet, but back following them would be for the idle astrogation droids and computers, that she had linked together. Well, to be exact, the Chiss girl linked every droid and computer on ship she could put her hands on…

“I have two possible visitors before us, one a month ago, the other five days… Both ion trails are entering the system and heading towards the same planet we are, heavy freighter or frigate... If these ships have left yet, they left by a different trajectory.” she informed the crew, or anyone who was close to the open chanels.

By following the ion trails and studying the planet's orbit, she would guess later where they entered the atmosphere when they got closer... For now she was straining her ears to hear what anyone would say.

Since their new co-pilot, though capable, was new to interacting with Elysium's controls, Kaloh answered the hail. "Crimson Falcon, Elysium. Have you clear. Stand by one."

He then punched the button for the ship's intercom. "Crew, passengers, Elysium captain. Request all up front."

Chadra cocked her head at the intercom blast and closed the access panel she was doing maintenance within and stood wiping the grease off herself and slipping the hydrospanner back onto her belt. "Be right there Cap!" She sent back and made her way up at a light jog, boots clanging on the steel flooring.

As their ships cruised deeper into the system, Jax, Kamaran, Raynee, and Nira's eyes are inexorably drawn to the distant star--or rather, to the fifth planet orbiting it, still not visible to the naked eye at this distance.

The dark side... Burned there. It was painful, like looking into a laser beam. It was hot, like a black flamed inferno. Like a wildfire, it was hard to look away. for a few moments, it held their eyes with the alure a candle held to a moth.

Leenara had been far from the Herdship when Seska Kree's message found her.

"Melaara and other agents of mine have been dispatched to Donovan 5. Dr. Fandomeer has persuaded an Ithorian comunity to hire them to deliver much needed medical releif supplies. I have asked them to investigate Sith activity on the planet. They are also delivering the bulbs you picked up on the mining collony. I'd like to see them divided into eight clusters, four planted in wide distrubiton on each of the two continents."

From Leenara's location, it proved faster to catch a ride straight to Donovan V on a light frieghter carrying dehydrated food.

When Leenara dropped out of hyperspace three days ago, she could soon sense a disturbance in the force radiating out from Donvan V, a concentration of the dark side that was feverish and somehow aluring.

Weretigress_by_atwater.jpg

From the Journal of Leenarra Thissanger:
I have been on the hellish planet for three days. I arrived here on a light freighter carrying dehydrated food. Even from orbit you can sense the suffering and darkness. So much suffering it seems almost impossible to know where to start and so daunting that you feel like a candle in a violent storm.

I have been holed up in a small room near the spaceport. It has been difficult to not feel the rage and helplessness of the people here. I meditate every night but it is difficult to maintain the peace in my heart. I have been more and more looking and longing for my friend Malaara. I miss her so and feel horrible that I had to leave her the way I did. I have been looking to the stars to find her and see just a glimmer of her with my Farseeing. At first the visions were murky, but they seem to becoming clearer and clearer as she gets closer to the system. Seeing her, even from a far seems to lift my spirits and I know she will be here soon with the medical supplies. I have healed a few people here but the need outgrows my skills and I don’t seem to make much headway. I master always told me that when things get overwhelming to look to the small things for victories until you can start seeing bigger wins. I never understood that message until now.

The crimson Falcon will be here tomorrow. The crew Malaara has assembled seems to be a diverse crew as I have ever seen. Some of them seem almost disreputable, but I must hold my judgement until I meet them and get to know them. Looks can be deceiving.

Making sure the comm link was secure, Melaara explained what she could of the situation to the crews of both ships. "The bit about the garden certainly was a password, but it is indeed more. Those of you who know Master Kree are aware that she rarely ever spells everything out, but what I know of the garden is that we are carrying a crate of plants that need to be kept out of sunlight. I am very certain they are somehow key to this mission, but alas that is one of the many details that Master Kree decided not to share with me. We are to deliver the supplies, and in the process of doing so, investigate the situation on the planet, something about a dark side influence that I am sure those of you with knowledge of the force would know about much more than I would."

Just then another voice chimed in, one that very few would likely have heard before. "Nira, here, Elysium's plot." There was a great sense of strain and unease in her voice. After a brief pause she continued. "The dark side of the Force is incredibly strong on that planet, almost like it's being burned alive... I probably don't need to say that means we should be really careful down there..."

"So the planet's embroiled in the dark side, and we have to bring down bulbs that cannot be in the sunlight." Chadra leaned back against a console with a snort. "Ever get the feeling we're getting set up to be the patsies?" The sarcasm was clear in her voice and to those that could see her body language. "Has anyone even taken a look at these seeds yet, made sure they're not...I don't know, some sort of biological weapon?" Having said her piece Chadra examined those around her with interest.

Cassandra blinked at that coment. "Set up as patsies? For what?"

She cocked her head thoughtfully at Chadra's words, then shrugged, "I don't think Seska has enough agents to go throwing us away." She looked to the captain, "Melaara, are we supposed to be planting them in caves? Or are they being kept out of the sunlgiht 'til it's time for them to grow? Some sort of natural stasis?"

She shrugged a little at the mention of the Dark Side. "I suppose that's not a surprise. The message said we're here to investigate and deal with Sith activity. Nira, can you tell where it's coming from? Or will you be able to when we get closer?"

[img=200x300 align=right]https://mayhemandmuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sakimichan-photoshop-digital-painting-manga-anime-character-photorealistic-life-like.jpg[/img]

Raynee Novi

Raynee kept hiding her slavery displeasement under a serious face and thought that as Kaloh was in the other ship she would start gathering information about everyone on the ship she was traveling.

A few days passed and Officer novi kept her low profile at every moment while doing her job the best she could.

use computer 1d20+15=21
deception 1d20+20=32
use the force 1d20+20=36

but she allotted her free time to spy on everyone else, first thing she did was "interrogating" the main computer about every possible data there could be about everyone else, as she would be using the force

taking 10 on technometry=30 to find out secret information on every crew member, as she is using the force she is not hacking into any computer so she leaves no trail of this
use the force 1d20+20=28, +3 to stealth
stealth 1d20+5+3=23
perception 1d20+14=24

"I do trust master Kree". It was weird for Raynee to refer to Seska as master Kree but she she had a facade to adhere to. "...and I know she trust us, otherwise she wouldn't have entrusted us with job". Well Seska did trusted in her skills but not so much in her despite being so close and Raynee in fact wondered why she pulled this group together, she should have some hidden intentions beyond those of the mission, but she would have to wait a little more to find out the whole truth. "I believe this garden thing is something involving us and the heavy influence of the dark side of the force you mention".

EV5.jpg

EV5 walks on to the bridge on her four legs holding out her medical appendage.
“I have come as requested with the inoculations you will need for Donovan 5. From what I have read the health system is a mess and disease has been running rampant, so I am giving you a few boosters and other vaccines along with the radiation prophylactic we picked up from the ithorians. So who in my first patient?”

EV Steps up to Malaara “O Captain, my pregnant captain. I have a special blend for you that should be easier on the baby that the stuff I am giving the others. Now hold out your arm”

The ship's computer contains verry little information on anyone but Dr. Leenara Thissinger, EV-5, and Melaara.

At first glance, the ship and the droid are the property of Dr. Leenara Thissinger, but currently held in trust by Melaara. However a closer examination of the ship's books reveals that the ship--along with a noteworthy financial profile--is Evie Hammond. She looks rather like Senator Amidala without hair. Evie Hammond's name goes back 200 years with ownership of property and is listed as EV5's owner.

Melaara is six months pregant with twins. They are healthy, strong, and female. EV is delicate about it, and Melaara seems determined to keep them, but the father is a loose cannon Imperial Knight named Klato Vaughn, and the conception was not consensual. (Also a Codru'Ji.)

There are also small amounts of information on Jax and Nikita. These two came on three months ago when Crimosn Falcon was providing transport for a dance troupe. Jax hired on as a pilot at that time, Nikita worked sensor oprations and mechanic. The troupe was delivered to Mos Eisley. Jax and Nikita remained on board.

There isn't much available on the newcomers, just their public work transcripts.

Cassandra went from ROTC to the military (of an unspecified nation) at age 17. She became a mercinary a few years later. No discharge on record, nor of desertion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom