Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's Just Human Nature (MysteriousD/DaddysLittleSkank)

DaddysLittleSkank

Banned
Banished
Marceline was waiting at her house for Finn after she had called him to head over. She'd found something on her way home from visiting Simon that she thought he needed to see. A chunk of ice had broken off and almost hit her, and when she went to investigate the block that the chunk had come from had a person frozen in it. Upon closer inspection, Marceline could tell it was a human due to her appearance and the style of her clothes appearing to be from several years before the Mushroom War. She doubted Simon even knew this human was there.

The human inside the ice was dressed in heavy winter clothing, making it impossible to tell if the human was male or female. On the human's back was a large backpack, the kind meant for camping or hiking. The only skin visible was a small patch that wasn't covered by a scarf, hat, and snow goggles and it was a medium complexion.

"Come on, Diego, hurry up!" Finn called out to his new friend who was flying over. During one Finn's recent adventures, he discovered a downed airship. It turns out the adventure led to something really interesting in some sort of lost lab with a giant storage tube; he met a cyborg. Unlike most cyborgs who had metal parts attached them and such, he possessed what Princess Bubblegum called "nanobots." As in tiny machines inside all of his bodies' and cells. While he does look pretty human, he does have some odd characteristics, such as the slightly metallic-colored skin and the shimmering eyes. For the past couple of days, Finn, Jake and PB had been working on getting Diego used to being conscious once more and in Ooo.

Besides allowing him to live for really long periods of time, the nanobots allowed Diego to absorb and form bits of machines, like as of right now, he had twin propellers allowing Diego to fly over. "So how is Marceline like?" Diego asked her as he landed over to the area, putting Finn down. "Hey Marcy, what's up? Also, i brought Diego. Ya know, the guy I told you about?" he elaborated as he went over to her.

"Hey," she said sticking her hand in the air giving a lazy wave, "I'm Marceline, you can call me Marcie."

"I was coming home from hanging out with Simon and I found a person frozen in ice." She stated. "It's clear the person's been there for awhile. Their clothes are from before the Mushroom War, so there's a pretty good chance this person is a human. I figured you'd want to know, and I can bring to the it. I left my bass stuck in the ice so I would forget where to go."

Diego paused as he looked over at the vampire. He was trying to get used to everything. The truama of being a cellular-level cyborg helped deal with absorbing everything, but getting to meet a real vampire was surprising. Especially one as beautiful as her. He blushed a bit, looking like his cheeks were glowing slightly blue, a literaly slight glow. He does give a dorky smile back at her before focusing on what she found.

Diego turned to Finn, who looked surprised at the potential of meeting a new human. He sighed, having a complicated look on his face. "We should probably take her to Princess Bubblegum," Diego noted. "She would need to be slowly thawed out," he explained to Finn before he heard someone ask:

"Who needs to be thawed out?" the familiar voice of Jake the Dog asked as he stretched over. "Sorry I'm late, I was helping BMO with something," he said asbefore stretching himself to check the ice block. "All right, we'll take her to the castle. Thanks, Marceline. You should probably come with," Finn told her before getting on top of Jake before the dog stretched his arm out and expanded his hand to carry the girl in the ice.

"It'd be cool if you came with us," Diego told her with the smile, though also intrigued with the girl in the ice. He wondered if she was still alive.

"Yeah, Bonnibel is probably going to blame Simon for it so I should be there to defend him." Marceline said flying beside Jake.

Inside the ice and hidden behind the goggles, the girl's eyes moved as she attempted to see everything that was going around her. She was completely conscious and had been since she was frozen over 1000 years earlier. She'd been force to watch in silent horror unable to intervene, or even move, as humanity destroyed itself being replaced by zombie like creatures oozing goo which were then replaced by a plethora of strange creatures.

"So... Finn told me you are some kind of vampire queen?" Diego asked her as he was flying through the air. He didn't know why he was drawn voer to the vampire, though part of it could be that he spent centuries ice-locked and by himself, especially since now that he was some sort of cellular-level cyborg (was he an android?), he would be outliving plenty of people. Maybe the fact that she could also live long to meant that he wouldn't have to be alone anymore.

The pink palace was coming over to the distance. Diego had complicated feelings to the princess. While he did trust her and appreciated her intelligent demeanor and drive to protect her kingdom, her past actions and such with Finn and the Kingdom made him uneasy plenty.

"Yeah, though I'm not show how much she wants to share with you, dude. She just met you," Jake responded, wondering why Diego is fascinated with the vampire Queen.

"I'm THE Vampire Queen." Marceline corrected while looking down at her phone. "I just texted PB and she's setting up a heat lamp to melt the ice and a few electric blankets to warm this person up after the ice is melted."

When they arrived, Bubblegum had set up a large heat lamp above a tub to collect the melted water. "It should take a few hours for the ice to melt enough to completely free the person." She was wearing her glasses and lab coat. "My tests show that there is brain activity so their alive and conscious, whoever they are. The Ice King needs to calm down, one of these he's going to luck out and kill someone."

"Simon had nothing to do with this." Marceline protested. "Whoever this is has been in that ice since before the Mushroom War."

"That's really impressive," Diego looked at her impressively before nodding on what was said. It didn't take long for the four to arrive over at the candy castle of the ruler of Candy Kingdom, Princess Bubblegum. They put the frozen girl under the heat to slowly begin to melt. "She's been conscious this whole time? That's probably not good for her psyche," Diego points out looking at the ice girl. "Who knows what she saw and if the mind could handle all that stuff," he adds.

Finn meanwhile looked contemplative. Diego knew the deal with Finn. That for the longest time, he wrestled with existenial problems due to being the sole human. He turned when he heard Marceline and PB were arguing over regarding if the Ice King did this. "I don't know much about this Ice King from beyond what you told me, but if humans were gone for a long time, then the girl being frozen was not an action of the Ice King, but from the nuclear winter resulted. I don't know why she's alive, but since you all told me the Crown has a mind of its own, maybe it used its ice powers mixed with the nuclear winter," he said as he was wondering.

"What happens of she whacks out from being awake?" Jake asks.

"There's five of us," Marceline said, "and one of her. It shouldn't be too hard to restrain her."

"Yes and her head will be freed long before the rest of her body." Bubblegum commented. "Even if she whacks out hopefully she'll calm down before then."

They waited as slowly the ice began melting but eventually her head has become free.

"I guess I meant that if she would freak out or collapse or some junk like that," Diego told her. "I mean, she's just been awake for a long whle and not being able to move. That sounds like it could drive anyone bonkers mad," Finn added to what Diego said.

Nonetheless, the group of five waiting out for the gradual thawing so the girl's body would not suffer tissue damage. Eventually, the head was free. Princess Bubblegum signaled Peppermint Butler to come in with the tranquilizer gun, in order to knock her out in case she doesn't go well.

"Um, hey, how are you doing?" Finn said as he waved carefully but friendily at her.

"Good." The girl responded. "I've just been chilling for the thousand years."

"Is that because you're in a block of ice?" asked Marceline.

"It is because I'm in a block of ice." The girl responded. "But can you blame me, I was stuck without anyone to talk to for a thousand plus years, I didn't have much else to do other than make jokes. I guess you could say I was pretty ice-olated."

Diego smirked at the puns abbot. "Yes, well very nice. When I finish thawing you, I would need to run several ttimes are on you to test your health," Princess Bubblegum told her as she was checking her temperature and using other gadgets.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Finn Mertens," Finn told her with a smile while Jake waved. "I'm Jake," Jakenthe Dognsaid while Diego waved. "I'm Diego... a cyborg," he said while sneaking peeks at Marceline.

"And I am princess Bubblegum, leader of the Cancun kihgsom," she said curtly.

"And I'm Marceline. I'm the one that found you."

"I'm Morgan." The girl said.

"Do you remember anything from before you were frozen?" Bubblegum asked

"I was running away from home, and got caught in a blizzard." Morgan recounted. "I saw a figure in the distance so I followed it, I heard it call my name, and next thing I know I wake frozen in this ice."

"Morgan? What's your last name?" Finn asked her as he got a better look at her. Princess Bubblegum sighed. "Guys, I need you to let me finish. I'm gonna brief Morgan on everything. When I finish, Finn, I want you to help in the second part of briefing her. Jake, you can help too," she said as she looked at the two boys before facing Marceline and Diego.

"Marceline, maybe you and Diego can go back to the area and see if there are any other humans in the area," she instructed. She then paused before thinking. "Finn, Jake, why don't you get Morgan some food while I start briefing her on everything," she said to the two. "Okay, PB!" Finn said as he and Jake went off. Finn gave Morgan a friendly smile as he went off to get something for her.

"Lead the way then, Marceline?" Diego said to her with a smile.

Princess Bubblegum would spend the next half-hour (with the use of slides and clips), the basics of Ooo and so on while slowly thawing Morgan out.

"There are no other people there." Morgan stated. "I don't know why I saw a figure, or heard someone, but I was completely alone in there."

"Are you sure?" Bubblegum asked.

"After a thousand years, I am." Morgan nodded. "It's hard to explain but I knew where I was, I knew how long I was there, and I didn't get know what was going on around me in the immediately vicinity but I knew what was happening on a global scale."

"Regardless, they are still going to investigate in the events they find anything significant in the area. Rarely do we find any humans in Ooo anymore, especially those that haven't mutated in some form or fashion," Princess Bubblegum explained to Morgan. "It is also surprising how well you are taking this. When we thawed out Diego a few weeks back, he handled the situation as expected of anyone when ripped from everything they knew and thrust into a different world with rules radically changed frm their own. In fact, he handled admirably well, especially in regards to being a machine/human hybrid. But you, you seem surprisingly nonchalant about everything," Princess Bubblegum said, eyeing Morgan with interest yet a fair bit of suspicion. People who endured as long as she did or seen the sort of stuff all had their coping mechanisms. She had her mental vault while Marceline tried to keep her distance with a facade of not caring and hedonism. For Glob's sake, even Finn had some mechanisms, at least, that she suspected. He mentioned once or twice about it, but he didn't seem comfortable in sharing it.

She knew Finn would be back soon though hopefully Morgan would respond as to how she was able to not resist going mad.

"I don't see anything, do you Marceline?" Diego asked as he was scanning the mountains. His nanobots alowed him to abosrb technology into him and replicate features, such as multivision hi-tech goggles, the propellers on his back and a few weapons that Princess Bubblegum was okay with parting with. Granted, they was probably some sort of limit to it, hence why he didn't push himself.

"It's like I said, I knew what was happening around me." Morgan stated. "I knew there was a war, that most of humanity had been wiped out, that the world was repopulated. I had my time to grieve, my time to adjust, and more importantly I had hope. My life before wasn't exactly easy. My mother abandoned me on her parents' doorstep before she just disappeared. Once I was old enough to take care of myself, my grandparents just stopped caring. I grew up knowing they hated me and blamed me for my mom disappearing. I ran away because I didn't want to keep living like that. When I frozen, I just kept hoping that one day I'd be freed and I could live a life that I wanted. That's not to say I didn't have my days when I questioned everything and was depressed, but I had no choice but to get over it."

"I found a pen," Marceline stated holding a dark green pen fountain pen up, "I wonder if it belongs to Morgan, or maybe the mystery person she saw before being frozen."

"I suppose it is surprising being able to endure all of that while contained like that. Although I suppose it isn't too suprising for some people to go insane before becoming sane once more," Princess Bubblegum said to Morgan. She then turned to see Finn return with Jake. He came back with a dinner cart filled with delicious food. "Hey Morgan, I figure you were hungry so I got you alot of food," Finn told her with a smile.

"Hey that reminds me, where is she staying?" Jake Intervened as he was helping Princess Bubblegum finish thawing out Morgan and it didn't take long for her to be free.

"Well, I can't see anything here else. We'll take the pen, but we should probably head back," Diego said as he saw the pen Marceline had. As they prepared to head out, Diego had questions to ask. "So, do you have some sort of vampire kingdom or something? Finn said that you technically weren't a ruler and said something about you being the only vampire," he asked her.

Now completely thawed, Morgan was able to take off her winter gear revealing her to be about Finn's age. She was slightly tanned with dark red hair fashioned into a long French braid that laid down her back. She was wearing skinny jeans, a t-shirt, and hiking boots. "Thanks." She said placing the outerwear on top of the camping backpack she'd been wearing. "I am pretty hungry, I haven't had a bite to eat in over a thousand years." She grabbed a cup of hot coco and took a sip before smiling. "Thankfully somethings never change. Hot coco is still the same delicious beverage." She sat down, crossing her legs and grabbed a muffin.

"Yeah, I'm not seeing anything else." Marceline sighed. "At least we have one thing to show for it." She began floating back to the Candy Kingdom. "There probably would be a kingdom of vampires if I hadn't killed them all."

"Be careful. We need to check your muscles and bone structure to make sure no serious atrophy happened," Princess gumball said though she also sat down and watched as she drank. "Haha, yeah. So... you know how human culture was like?" Finn asked her curiously as he sat down in front of her while Jake did too. Even Princess Bubblegum looked interested.

"Woah... that's... that's intense," Diego said as he was flying alongside her back to Candy Kingdom. He didn't know what to talk about. Granted, back from his vague memories from his past, he got that he didn't know always how to talk to girls, especiall pretty girls that he really likes. "I guess they were doing some bad stuff, huh," he said.

"Of coarse I do," Morgan said, "I lived it for fifteen years which isn't much compared to being in the ice but I remember it. What do you want to know?"

"I had to do what I had to do." Marceline stated nonchalantly. "And they were killing off what humans were left. They weren't like me, I eat shades of red and they drank blood. It wasn't pretty but I got rid of them."

"Like how was it like? What did people do? How was life? How was school?" Finn began bombarding her with questions before Jake chuckled. "Relax buddy. Sorry, btu Finn's been kinda the only human that everyone knew for a long time," Jake explained over to Morgan. Princess Bubblegum remained quier as she was listening to the whole time.

"What do you mean you can drink red?" Diego looked at her impressively and in awe. "Like, if you got an apple, you would turn it into a grey apple or something," he asked her.

"Human were complicated." Morgan stated bluntly. "They had the capacity to do great evils like murder other in mass, start bloody wars for petty reasons, chastise one another for being different, brainwash others into doing unspeakable acts, doing horrible atrocities for ones own amusement. But humans were also capable of great things. I've seen humans selflessly give to one another, risk their lives to save strangers."

"Pretty much." Marcelo was replied. "But I prefer strawberries."

Finn lisetned to what she said. He wasn't wholly surprised. He fought various evils and monsters and just flat-out jerks throughout Ooo. "I kinda figured that. I'm a hero so Jake and I fought all sorts of evil dudes before," Finn explained over to Morgan. "But I guess ont he smaller stuff. Like, what did they do for jobs? What some did for fun? Like, what else can you tell me," he asked her curiously.

While Diego was flyign back, he was wondering what to say to her. "I heard you got alot of crazy powers and such," Diego commented as he kept trying to talk. He was wondering what else he could to her about.

"I think it'd be easier if I showed you." Morgan said. She remember there being a shopping mall not to far from where they were. If it was still there, it had a bunch of stores that could prove interesting.

"Finn was pretty talkative, huh?" Marceline asked as the two approach the Candy Kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom