Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Different Turn to Make (Alvis and Malice)

He spoke so fast, Abby could hardly keep up. It was the pain meds, definitely, making her mind way too sluggish to really follow each word but she hung on his voice. She liked his voice. All she really knew was that he sounded sad, distraught and so guilt-ridden but he had no reason to. He made a very scary situation something tender and she needed that. She needed to believe one of the boys she had been stuck in there with wasn’t vile. And that was Alex. Sure, she got beaten up in the process, but a broken nose and some bumps and bruises were a lot more tolerable than being ass raped by evil Jake.

Giving his hand as much of a squeeze as she could muster right now, she shook her head slightly. “I’m not sorry about what we did. I’m just sorry I got myself in that situation. I just...when I’m on a lead, I can get too in over my head.” She laughed slightly, but it was weak, humorless and bittersweet. “Whatever happens, happens, okay? But I won’t let you go down for all of that. I have my tape recorded, Alex. It was on the entire time.” She whispered. “It’ll prove you’re innocent and that you were the only one that helped me.” She brought his hand closer to her and rested her bruised cheek against it lightly. “But I’m not sorry for what we did. It was...magnificent.” She let her eyes flutter closed, not letting his hand go. “You are magnificent.”

Esther felt like she was seconds away from imploding, her body ready to melt with nothing to hold it up and the ground to just swallow her up. It’d be preferable than standing here to witness a standoff between her mom and her...her...and Harrison Trenton. God, everyone thought he was so bad. And okay, maybe he was but it’s not like he was the devil man!

Imelda’s eyebrows rose as he shook her hand. Not too firm, not soft though, almost like they were in a standoff. It was something ingrained in her. She had been the wife of a policeman before he had been killed in the line of duty when Esther was only four years old. Skills he learned from her husband didn’t just leave because he wasn’t here anymore. But she could see why her daughter was captivated by the young man. He certainly had manners, which surprised her to say the least. Taking her hand back she crossed her arms over her chest. “You’re welcome. You’re a very well mannered young man.” She tried to leave the surprise out of her tone. Tried. “Well, it seems you and Esther will be seeing more of each other. I won’t tell my daughter what to do. I know she’ll just do it anyways if I restrict her.”

“Thanks Mom.”

“Harrison, I’d like to extend an invitation to dinner at our home at your convenience. You wouldn’t mind, would you?”

Esther’s jaw dropped and she had to use her hand to push it back up, crossing her arms over her chest. She loved her mom. She really did. Just not when she went into Mama Bear mode.

Alex looked away, knowing what was really bothering him in the end of this. Abby could be grateful, could appreciate part of what he'd done, several parts of it even. But there was one thing that would never stop being important. The first thing she'd wanted was for him to not tell Jaime. Her boyfriend. The one that at the end of all thigns, she was going to choose. There simply wasn't room for him in her life in any way that would work for him, and he knew that. He'd been given a chance, he'd taken it, taken something that he shouldn't have, but wants ran just too high. The heart wanted what it wanted, and damn the logic. He closed his eyes a moment, wanting to hang on to this moment of her gratitude, her sense fo affection....but in the end he had to live in the real world. He gently slid his hand out of hers, leaned forward and gently kissed her forehead.

"I'll never forget what happened. Not ever. But...the one you really want is outside. And he's gotta be worried sick. I'll send him in for you. I know you'll want to let him know you'll be okay." He said quietly. He had to fight off tears, knowing that this was probably going to be the last time he saw this more tender side of Abby, and knowing that was the reality he lived in. What he might want didn't matter. He could do no more or less than what he thought was best, adn what was best was to get out of there before he got too entangled. He stepped away from her, heading out the door.

Once he saw the door opening, Jaime was on his feet, concern writ plain on his face, clearly wanting to go in. Alex hesitated at the doorway, considering one last time what he was about to do.

Harrison cocked his head just slightly, a falre of confusion at the offer for dinner, but he put it aside. He knew what it was really, it was an opportunity for her to put him on her terms for things, to see what she might get out of him. To see if he might slip up. There was no good answer here. If he said yes, he was walking into what amounted to a trap. But if he said no, he was being unconscionably rude. No way out of this for good. Not on his end either, but there was a way to do this so at least it resulted in a smaller blowout for Esther.
"Sure. I'll need to check my work days coming up, but I can let Esther know a day that'll work, and if it works for you too, then we'll call it dinner." He said plainly. He felt his face shifting into a smile. This wasn't something he had to do very often. It was a verbal duel, and it was against someone that didn't give an inch from him. He could appreciate that. Respect it to hell and back. It might prove to be an interesting experience.

The loss of warmth had her eyes opening and a sadness reflected in them. Even with all the pain meds, she could tell clearly that this was it. That whatever transpired between them was just in the moment, a comfort for her and a desire for him. Was she so mixed up right now that she couldn’t see he didn’t try and stop her either, that he didn’t stop anything until after he got what he wanted? No, because she couldn’t even see it like that. It wasn’t forced with them. It was the most willing she had been with someone that wasn’t Jaime. And now her heart ached because she was so afraid he wasn’t going to be happy, he wouldn’t understand and just see her as the girl who got herself into a situation to cheat or something.

Emotion clogged her throat and she closed her eyes again, a couple tears escaping her closed lids. Alex’s words made her heart feel heavy and she sniffled quietly, turning her face into the pillow. “I’m sorry.” She said through the thick of emotion, opening her eyes again to watch him retreat. Bringing up a hand to wipe her eyes, a wince spread onto her face because of the small bouts of pain from the touch. Her gaze lifted up to the ceiling and she waited but she didn’t feel Jaime beside her. “Jaime.” She looked toward the door, still seeing Alex in the doorway and through him, who she was pretty sure was Jaime.

“Splendid.” Imelda said softly, sounding enthused but her facial expression didn’t give anything away. It was more of a cordial invitation for her to do her own digging and maybe learn about the real Harrison Trenton before her daughter got too mixed up. “It was...nice...meeting you, Harrison. I’ll look forward to that dinner. I hope you like quinoa, I found a new recipe.” Nodding her head, she turned away and gave her daughter a look before heading back to Flora.

Esther couldn’t help but roll her eyes. Her mom was obsessed with quinoa. She couldn’t even imagine Harrison trying the stuff, let alone liking it. As she went back to Abby’s mom, Esther shifted awkwardly from foot to foot, her hands fidgeting together. “I’m sorry about all of that, Harrison. Please don’t feel obligated. She’s mostly…” She wanted to say her mom wasn’t serious about it but something told her she in fact very serious about this dinner. “Crap, she’s actually serious.” She slid her hands through her hair. Whatever this was, just fun or whatever, she was mentally preparing to kiss it goodbye. “I don’t blame you if you want to go. And if you want to cancel lunch, I understand.”

When she didn't call him to stay, to try and stop him, it was his cue to leave. Alex stepped out of the room, saw Jaime approaching.
"She's asking for you. You should...never mind. She wants you." Alex told him, looking away from Jaime, and walking away from the room. He just couldn't stay any more. There was simply too much going on, too much weight in him to stay.

Jaime didn't question Alex. There was information he needed, things he needed to know, but he was not about to get too focused on that. Right now, Abby wanted him. And he needed to see her. When he pushed into the room, he paused when he saw her. There was something else he wanted to know then, what Alex had said that apparently made Abby feel even worse than she did, there were still trails from tears on her face, proof positive that there was more going on than he knew. Time for that later.

"Abby." He said softly, coming to the side of the bed, his hand finding hers. "Hey girl." His voice failed after that. What did you say? What did you talk about? What could he ask her that wasn't monumentally stupid?

And how did you explain that what she'd gone looking for, the information she'd wanted, he'd already had for days now?

Harrison let Esther's mother go, not wanting to screw things up with a potential snide comment. When Esther went into what certainly felt like damage control, he felt his smile come back. It had a certain cocky edge to it.
"What, cancel everything because your Ma wants to get the measure of me? Come on Esther. I've had dinner and drinks with guys that would literally shoot me in the head if I said the wrong things. More than once. Your Ma seems like a helluva lady, but she can't scare me off." He assured her. "Besides, I haven't had I haven't had decent quinoa since I had dinner with Arun Gawli's guy up town. If your Ma thinks she's up to that challenge..." He looked at her right in the eye, that smile still in place, the kind that made him look like he'd found a challenge that that he'd enjoy. "...I should bring a dinner drink, right? A gift for the hostess?" He gave her a wink to show her that he wasn't afraid, nor was he looking to drop her. It actually looked like he was having fun.

She was just thankful for the brace and some gauze for her nose because she could feel the mucus. But she couldn’t really inhale from her nose since it was broken. Closing her eyes, she took in a deep breath to calm herself, breathing through her mouth and then out the same way. The moment she heard Jaime’s voice, her whole being just seemed to relax. Opening her eyes, Abby looked at him and she felt like she wanted to hide. She was always well put together with Jaime. The worse he had ever seen her was when she was sick and even then, that hadn’t been bad. This is like having a different face because over 50 percent of it was so swollen.

“Hey.” A small croak sounded from her as she reached her hand out to him. “I’m sorry.” She might be too high to do this but she felt if she didn’t say it now, when she was conscious, coherent and out of the hospital, she might not ever.

She looked at him with an uneasy shrug, rubbing the side of her arm now. How was she supposed to know? She was fifteen and not about to expect heaven and earth to be moved for her. After Chad, that stupid fantasy was quickly squashed. And besides, it was Harrison Trenton. He didn’t have to do anything if he didn’t want and she wasn’t going to force him. She would never be that girl again. Her cheeks turned very red when he actually gave her mom compliments and she bit her lower lip, nodding her head, the name going over her head until it did a reverse and she was trying to figure out where she knew that name. “Umm...I’ll see if she can make multigrain pasta or something.” She scratched the back of her neck. “Or we can meet her at the diner for dinner. Yeah, I think that would be better actually. She works at the diner in the evenings.” She clarified so he didn’t think they just pigged out at the diner randomly. Know, when her mom worked late or had to pick up a double since it was a 24-hour kind of diner, Esther always had dinner with her there.

“You want to get my mom drunk?” She teased, but she knew he didn’t mean it like that. Although maybe if her mom drank, she’d loosen up and not go all Hitler on Harrison. No, the last time her mom got drunk-- “No, don’t bring adult alcohol.” Esther said quickly. “When she has one too many, she reminisces about her and dad. She told my entire party for my fourteenth birthday party how I was conceived.” She grimaced, putting her hands on her cheeks. “You can bring sparkling cider?” That was safe.

Jaime sighed, bowing his head a moment.
"Nothing to be sorry for Abby. Shit, you've always chased the story, never backed donw. Just wish you'd...had backup for this. I wish I'd known you were doing it so I could have helped. I...shit, I wish a lotta things right now." Jaime shook his head. There was a lot of weight on him now, he'd screwed up, but there was no way he'd have thought that someone on the team was unhinged enough to go after someone like this. It wasn't hard to know who had gone after her, the football team was in an upraor, not only because two of their players had been laid out bad, but that uit had been by one of their own. There was a lot of talk about betrayal, but the team itself was getting a lot of backlash from people who heard them talking like that. Abby in the hospital, that she was nearly raped, there was simply too much flying around that painted their team in an unflattering light.

He looked at the floor, noticed Abby's purse was there, and frowned. There was what looked like a burned DVD case in it, something made for something like a home movie. He hadn't known Abby to bother with any of that, she was usually pretty traditional, pen and paper, hastily scrawled notes that no one else could make sense of without a miracle and a translator. He noticed there was a note tucked into it, but he didn't reach for it. It wasn't his business yet. He'd likely find out what was on it sooner or later, but his hunt for information, that was secondary to his concern for Abby. He leaned over the bed, very gently planting a kiss on her forehead.
"I'm here for you now. Whatever you need, I'll make sure you're taken care of." He promised her.

"I was meaning more like a bottle of wine, not a case of liquor Esther. I know a guy who knows a guy that says he can get some really top level stuff right out of India, Royal Mawalin I think he said it was called. Figure it's a polite thing, wasn't planning on trying to turn dinner into a rager." He told her with an amused shake of his head. "If you're dead sset on not wine, I'll get something more appropriate for the occasion. But I am just trying to...well, be respectful." He shrugged as he finished talking. It wasn't that often he went out of his way for respect, but Esther's mother seemed like someone that might be worth making an effort for. If nothing else, it would probably stick in her craw that so many of her preconceptions about him were off base. Amusing spite was a powerful motivator.

“I knew you’d talk me out of it and I had to get to the bottom of something. Something’s been bothering me and I needed answers and I figured I’d start with them.” She explained softly, not sounding as weak or high but maybe that was just because she felt normal right now, even if she was anything but. That her tongue was loose enough to say this when maybe tomorrow or when she recovered, she wouldn’t be this forthcoming with information. Or even remember...She was also barely hearing him right now because otherwise she’d jump down his throat and make him tell her what were the ‘a lot of things’ he wished for right now. Just like Abby was known for doing. Right now, none of that was there. She’d blame it on the drugs if she was even aware of it.

Her eyes closed and she gave his hand a squeeze, the kiss so gentle on her forehead. That’s two boys who kissed her forehead. And that’s two boys her heart was stumped over. It was strange, she never even looked at Alex. And in that moment, it was just because he was the only one that felt any kind of something toward her. He was the one that pulled her away from Jake and Gabe so he could have her to himself. In a way, he saved her from them and continued to save her from them, Jake especially. It changed some things but it was also the way she felt during the act itself. She hadn’t felt that way with anyone but Jaime. But it happened. And with Alex. “That’s not what I’m saying sorry, Jaime.” She whispered, opening her eyes to look at him. “Something happened.” She swallowed carefully. “And it wasn’t rape.”

Well if ever her cheeks turned so red like a tomato, this moment here would take the cake. Her lips formed up in an ‘o’ and her eyes widened. Her hands slid over her cheeks and she shook her head. “Oh.” She laughed softly, nervously and mostly out of embarrassment. “That’s so nice of you.” Of course he meant a nice bottle of wine. She didn’t know why whenever someone mentioned a nice drink, she always thought of jungle juice or some kind of hard liquor. Not everyone was into that! Just the Martins. Her mom said it was her dad’s concoction and something their parties used to be known for when he was alive.

The fact he was being so respectful, not even shying away from this and being so amazing about this bombardment from her mom made it really difficult not to like him. “It’s very attractive.” She found herself saying. “You being so respectful.” Blinking her eyes and realizing she even scooted closer to him like she was about to rub her body all over his. Esther had to put a stop to it, stepping back and putting some distance between them. “Um..” Clearing her throat and rubbing her cheeks to maybe rid of them color, her hands not once leaving them, she nodded her head. “Wine would be nice. What you said.” She turned and spotted a vending machine down the corridor. “Oh look, a vending machine. Maybe they have Doritos.” She walked past him and beat a hasty retreat, shaking her head the entire time.

He’d been inside of her how many times? And she still couldn’t function properly? “God Esther, get a serious grip.” She whispered to herself.

Jaime paused, his brow furrowing from what she was saying, the implications running riot through his mind. Connections were made. Alex's refusal to accept thanks, the way he seemed so on edge, just everything about him. It all made sense. It made a horrible, painful sense. He looked away from Abby, composing his thoughts carefully. He was a man of his word, and he loved Abby. But what exactly did he do with this? Storm out? Leave her? Call her a miserable slut and walk out the door? Somehow add to her already rough shape by making her very sure that she'd lost him? And not in their little on and off again way, because those were only half serious most times, but this...this was deadly serious. He swallowed back a lump in his throat.

"I don't know what to do with that information." He said quietly, his voice thick with badly buried emotion. It had the benefit of being the absolute truth. It just wasn't a truth that he thought either of them wanted right now.

Harrison had to grin at how Esther was all but freaking out, though the way she sidled up to him made him pause, wondering just what she might do. He mother wasn't that far away, and that wasn't likely she wanted to see. Ever. But Esther fled down the corridor, heading for it. Harrison quietly followed her. When he heard her muttering, he looked back to see that they were out of line of sight from the others. He put his hands on her shoulders.
"What if I get a serious grip?" He asked her in a whisper, his mouth lowered to right beside her ear.

Her hand slid out of his. Is this how Alex felt when the first thing she asked was for him not to tell Jaime anything? She didn’t know what she expected. She hadn’t exactly given him details yet. “I’m sorry.” The drugs kept her groggy. “I can explain.” She sighed softly, wanting so badly to take a breath through her nose. “Just...not quite this moment.” She looked at him and then down at her hand which felt cold without his warmth, or someone’s warmth. “I’m sorry.” Her mind was screaming at her to explain, that explaining might make it better but she was too tired to even try. Plus, what good would it do? It wouldn’t change the fact she willingly had sex with Alex and really enjoyed it. “I just needed you to hear it from me and not from anyone else if it gets out.”

She stood before the vending machine. She had no money to put in to get doritos. She didn’t even want doritos. It just seemed like a good way to get her out of a situation that would have had her imploding from embarrassment. Okay, she wanted the doritos. But she wanted a bigger bag than was in the machine. She wanted a party size bag. God, she missed when she would just eat to bury her emotions. So much easier!

Her body jumped in reaction when she felt hands on her shoulders. Then came the deep baritone of Harrison’s whispered voice so close, sending tantalizing shivers up her spine. Shuddering softly, she turned in his arms and looked up at him, her hands sliding up his chest. “On me?” She asked.

Jaime nodded, his mind racing into ways of rationalizing, understanding, cataloging. Everything had to be in the right place in his hhead. He closed his eyes tightly, fighting to sort everything into the right place in his mind. He had to speak. Give answer.
"That's good. It's better to hear this from you first. It's honest." He nodded. "And we always try and be honest with one another." He knew what he had to do now.

"I wish you'd told me you were going into the locker room to get the info. I..." he heaved out a heavy breath, his voice on hte edge of breaking. "...I'd have told you not to go. I already knew the answer."

Harrison smirked down at Esther, a hand coming up to her cheek, rubbing a thumb along it.
"Oh, I think I might already have a serious grip on you, don't I?" He teased. It was a hard thing to dispute after all that had happened between them. He leaned down, planting an affectionate kiss on her lips, something to whet her appetite, to remind her that he was here for her. While there was certainly a side of him that wanted to really get carried away with her, they were far too close to her mother, and even Esther dissapearing would probably soon elicit some reaction, but if they were both missing it wasn't liable to go well in the end. Especially not if Esther came back with her hair in a 'just fucked' state, as it usually was when they were done.

Still, he let his other hand trail down, iving her ass a firm squeeze before he broke the kiss from her. Had to be done. They were both pretty bad with impulse control when it came to one another. But to make sure that the trip hadn't been wasted, Harrison leaned to one side and banged his fist intot he vnding maching. It rocked, and three bags of Doritos fell out into the pick up tray.
"can't let you come back empty handed now, can I?" He asked her, the look in his eyes making it clear that he certainly wanted to do more, but knew that this might not be the right place.

“Exactly. That’s what makes us so good together, even through the rough patches.” She murmured, turning her head in his direction again, her hand reaching out for his. But midway, he spoke again and she stopped, and then her entire body felt like it went rigid, like hell just froze over her and only her. Blinking her eyes, Abby lifted her head a little. “What?” She asked. “You knew?” She asked. “And how long have you been sitting on this information?”

Her heart fluttered in her chest and she smiled slowly, dazzling and brightening up her gaze. “I think I’ve embarrassed myself enough to admit yes to that.” Her hands fisted his shirt lightly and she lifted her chin, her lips meeting his in a kiss. It wasn’t just a little kiss, there was something behind it and she melted right into it, her hands sliding up his chest to his shoulders and around his neck. Her body lifted up as she had to move onto the ball of her feet since he was that much taller than her. Flush up against him now, her fingers danced into the back of his hair and the most satisfying sigh came from her nose. They hadn’t been playing this game that long and she was already thinking she could get used to it. So much for separating feelings. She liked him. And it scared her just how much she could continue to like him deeper.

Shivers ran up her spine as his hand squeezed her rump and she was left breathless from that kiss. Esther had no idea how to control herself around him. He did things to her and he did things to her. It was hard to say no when those things felt so good. Pulling back a little, she licked her lips and tried to calm her heartbeat. Jumping a little when he banged on the vending machine though, Esther looked back and saw three bags of doritos fall. Her eyes lit up and she looked back at him, turning into a puddle easily just by that look alone. “I’m gonna be stuffed.” She mumbled, and it was the either the best time or worst time for that innuendo. Blinking her eyes, she turned and bent a little, blushing hard when her ass touched his front. But she grabbed the bags of doritos and opened one quick, shoving a whole triangle chip into her mouth and then another. “Yum.” She held up the bags, her mouth a little full now. “Um...if you want to go home, you can. You don’t need to stay any longer. I think I’ll pop in to see Abby and then Mom and I should head home.” She said softly.

Jaime rubbed his face with his hands, like he was trying to scrub his face clean.
"Since about two hours after Esther asked us to go looking. But it wasn't a simple thing. I knew her, you knew her, and Esther knew her. And I...I thought she deserved the chance to come clean on her own. But she hasn't. And now we're here." Jaime admit. He leaned back in the chair, letting his head fall back to stare at the ceiling. "It was Mal, Abby. She...fuck, why not? She's been carrying the Chad torch for years. They were together, then he left her, and seemed to go for easy girls, so Mallory tried to make herself the perfect woman for him. She got loose and easy, and was fine with him just falling into her sometimes at parties. But then Esther got him, and she couldn't just...let it go. And then things went south. You know the rest. Something happened to mallory in between. I don't know what it is yet, but I know it was bad, and it left her a wreck. But she still should hae told Esther by now." Jaime paused, and then sat up.

"And she's fucking going to. Right the fuck now." He said firmly, standing up and striding for the door. He had a mission now.

Jaime lef the room, all of his rioting emotions in command now, none of his calm cool or colected attitude showing. He walked right past Mallory, grabbing her arm and dragging her away from other people, not bothering to concern hismelf with any looks he might be getting. He spun Mallory to face him.
"Time's up. After this shit? You are fucking telling Esther. Now." He hissed. He wasn't speaking at normal volume, but not much below it. In a way it was somehow more effective than yelling, there was much mroe deadly purpose to it.

"Hmmm, if only." He breathed at her words, a finger trailing along her jaw, and he had to fight the urge to push her intot he vending machine and just start in on her. When she bent down he actually caught his hand halfway to her ass when he stopped. When she offered for him to go, he nodded.

"If you're sure you don't need me...or want me here, I can go. Probably make it easier on you and your mom though without her sizing me up for a coffin every time she sees me." He smiled as he finished the last sentance. "Can you make sure Jaime get's sorted? I owed him a favour, and that was called in to get him here. Still don't want to just leave him stranded."

It was a flurry of information she couldn’t fully grasp, like it was slipping away faster and faster the more he talked. She couldn’t hold onto it or process it but the moment he said it was Mallory, her eyes widened. It felt like whatever painkillers she was on just kind of vanished, sobering her up. “Oh my god…” She had her suspicions but Abby was an honest reporter and she liked to get her facts. Which was why she risked what she did tonight in the first place. She was a journalist that would go the extra mile to get her story. At least she hadn’t died. Could have been a lot worse too if not for Alex. Alex…

Bringing herself back into the moment, she tried to sit up but her entire body revolted. “Wait, Jaime--No, don’t--” But he was already up and out of her room and she was stuck in the bed. She wasn’t restrained but every inch of her was in so much pain, not just her face. And with the drugs, she couldn’t feel it but at the same time, she could.

Mallory sat with Abby’s mom and Esther’s mom. She liked being around them. They were mothers and they cared about her too. More than her own did. It was nice. Even if she wasn’t really contributing to the conversation, she held Flora’s hand. She liked it.

Ripped from the nice time given the dark circumstances, she felt her body yank up by Jaime and they moved a few paces away. He spoke so lowly but she caught the implication, the demand, the severity. “Jaime--” She had been trying to stay clean for days, which is why she hadn’t been in school since she had been sent home. The loneliness, the depression...the fact she fucked everything up.

“I always want you.” She admitted easily and without hesitation. “She’ll just have to learn to live with it.” She shrugged her shoulders, not even missing a beat. It’s amazing what confidence she could scrounge up after eating a couple of dorito chips. Junk food courage. Her hand slid into his and she laced their fingers together. “Okay, sure. I can do that. But...you see we have a problem. My hand is in yours. And I don’t have any intention of letting go.” She smiled playfully and turned, leading him on back to the group.

Facing forward and feeling victorious despite her wickedness--he could punish her for it later--she happened upon Jaime and Mallory and caught what he said, even if it was low, she was within earshot. “Tell me what?” She asked.

Mallory turned and she saw Esther and Harrison both. She gulped. “Esther...It’s n-nothing. I mean it doesn’t even matter now. You and Harrison--and...it was a mistake.” Was it?

Her hand left Harrison’s and she stepped forward to Mallory, gripping her bags of chips a little too tightly. “Tell me what, Mallory?”

“Chad.” She finally admitted through a broken voice. “He and I--we were...He was mine first.” She swallowed the thick of emotion clogging her throat. “And then he ended it but I wanted him back, I would have done anything for him!” She sighed heavily. “He chose you and I was busting my ass to make myself the perfect girl for him and for what? So he’s choose you?” She sounded hurt. “And then at the party, even though he had me, he still chose you! Only I should have seen it coming that you’d hop into Trenton’s bed so quickly!” She whispered, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

Esther gripped the bags of chips so tightly, the two unopened ones popped. “Then you say something! You don’t just self medicate and keep it from your friends! How was I supposed to know?!” So much for being quiet.

“You were so over the moon! A guy finally noticed you after you lost weight and finally became a looker--”

Esther hand lashed out and slapped right across Mallory’s cheek. “If it was such an inconvenience being friends with a fat person, what the hell did you stick around for?” She bit out.

Mallory cupped her cheek and looked at her with shock. She said nothing as she walked right past them all, leaving the hospital altogether.

Her shoulders fell and she dropped her hands at her sides, barely holding onto the bags of chips.

“Esther?” Imelda asked, approaching, while Flora went into Abby’s room.

Her eyes watered but she forced the emotion back. She knew it. They were right. She shouldn’t feel bad. She cheated on Chad too. She was more upset about ugly truths. “I-I’m gonna go see Abby and then we can go home, okay?” She asked, her voice wavering.

“Baby, what happened?”

“I’ll tell you later, Mom, I just need to go see Abby.” She threw the chips away and just walked away, even leaving Harrison behind to go see her best friend.

WHen Harrison was standing right beside Esther as what he could only think of as a social nuclear strike went off, and a lot of long held back bullshit had been thrown into the face of others, there was only one thought that came to his mind.

Get.

Clear.

It was so very far out of his wheelhouse to try adn comfort someone in this state, the closest he'd ever managed was trying to juggle things that she seemed to be goign through. With what was happening with Esther...well, if it was a pair of guys scrapping it out, he'd just take them for drinks, and then once they were good and drunk let them punch it out until they either both passed out or they got past it.

These two...he didn't think that was an option really.

When Esther head towards the room with Abby, Harrison made the call. He was going to go. He needed to get a little distance, and Esther needed some time to let thigns settle in her mind. If she wanted to meet up later, than he'd be there, but right now...

"You staying here?" He askled Jaime.
"Yeah. I'm going back in after Esther." Jaime answered.
"Okay. I'm going ot take off I think. Probably for the best. We're square then?"
"Yeah, yeah. We're good." Harrison took his leave, getting out to his car, and starting it up. He paused, seeing Mallory outside, and fighting the urge to do something. But he did realize that if he didn't, he was being the kind of asshole that usually made him roll his eyes.

The car cruised up close to her.
"Hey. You have a ride coming or something?" He asked her.

Her arms wrapped around herself but one hand rested on her cheek. It didn't still sting but maybe she could will it away to not have happened. That wasn't how she wanted it to go but it just happened. Taking her phone out of her pocket, she started the process of scheduling a ride service when a car pulled up and she heard a familiar voice. It stunned her, seeing Harrison's face from the window. "Um...y-yeah, I'm scheduling an Uber right now." She said softly. "Thanks." Although he was there right now. She could get home faster and not have to pay thirty dollars...

Esther didn’t look back. She wasn’t about to ask Harrison to stay and she wouldn’t even flinch if he left. This was too much and honestly, after she saw Abby, she wanted to go home and pig out on that pint of Haagen-Daaz rocky road ice cream she knew her mom kept in the freezer, for them both, in case of emergencies. This seemed like the right type of emergency. It hurt, yeah, that Chad cheated on her with her best friend, but then Esther cheated on him. So in that sense, that was kind of neutralized. It just hurt that one of her best friends, even doom and gloom Mallory, would do that and even think like that of her. And as much as she wanted to be reasonable and try and understand what she was going through, it was the lies that were hurting. The secrets, the lies, the fact she just hadn’t said something in the first place. Yeah, she had been excited a guy noticed her but things would be different if she had known...Now she felt like she was the backstabber that dated her best friend’s guy. But the thing she said…

Shaking her head, Esther walked into Abby’s room. She wiped her eyes and sniffled, but all thought of what just happened seemed to vanish the moment she saw the state of her. “Oh my god, Abby.” Rushing to her side, Esther took her hand and sat down in a seat beside the bed.

“Hey Esther. I promise it looks worse than it feels.” She rasped.

“Does it really?”

“No.” She managed a light but pained smile. “It feels as bad as it looks, although I think it’d feel worse if not for the drugs.”
“The one time they actually help.” She said with a small laugh, albeit teary. “What were you thinking?”

“I had to find the truth.” She whispered. “I had my suspicions about Mallory, but I had to confirm it. I didn’t want...I didn’t want it to be true and I certainly didn’t want to say anything until I knew. No point in starting a fight if it wasn’t true.”

“It’s not worth it if you get hurt.” She said a little firmly. “You could have died.”

“I should put that on my resume one day so newspapers can see how dedicated I am.” She joked.

“Abby…”
“Bad joke, huh?”
“Not the greatest timing.” Shaking her head.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, it’s...it’s whatever.” It wasn’t whatever but compared to what happened to Abby, it paled in comparison. “I’ll be fine. There’s rocky road at home.”

“Mom’s going to stay with me overnight.” Abby said softly. “I’ve never seen her so scared.”
“She might be hard on you, but she loves you, Abs. We all do. This was...god, this was such a scary shock.” She sighed heavily.

“I’ll be fine.” She took in a deep breath. “I think Jaime hates me.”
“I will kill him. He has no right to hate you!” She whispered, stroking her hair softly.

“He might, this time.” She whispered, a couple of tears sliding out of the corners of her eyes.

“Shh.” Esther cooed, just sitting there with her for a little bit stroking her hair and holding her hand. Even if they didn’t talk, she didn’t want to leave. Not just yet.

Last edited:
Harrison sighed, and rolled his eyes, leaning back in his seat.
"Fucking hell girl, just get in the damn car. No sense pissing away your money and time on some twat. I'll get you home safe and sound." He told her. Harrison knew it was the right thing to do, but he was also a bit on edge after how thigns had gone down. He wanted to say that he hated the guys that had gone after Abby, that what they'd tried made him sic...and until recently he'd have been right. But what he'd done to Heidi made it hard to really throw much shade.

Jaime stayed out of hte room for awhile, but the more he stayed, the more he realized that staying out here was likely going to keep wracking Abby's mind with doubts and questions. And she didn't deserve that. He was conflicted, for certain, on how thigns had gone. he wasn't happy, at all, with either part of the revelations. If he was honest though...if he had to pick between Abby 'cheating' on him with someone that had been carrying a torch for her for so many years that he'd indulged adn given her a time to remember, or having her being brutally violated by people more interested in their own pleasure, he had to admit this was certainly the lesser of two evils. And she needed to know that while he wasn't happy, he wasn't about to let this destroy them either.

He went back into the room, seeing Esther and Abby just taking a moment, and approached the bed, sitting down on the other side of it, giving Abby someone on each side.
"Hey Abby. I'm...going to stick around here. Long as you'll have me. Okay?" he said gently. It wasn't a blunt statement of anything, but it had a lot of implcations tghat she could read into, a way of him acknowledging things wthout sharing the sordid details with Esther. If Abby wanted to talk about it, then that was fine, but he wasn't about to out her either.

Mallory couldn’t help the way she jumped a little, the bite to his voice and tone startling her some. She weighed her options, while also weighing how fast she could outrun his car if she really wanted to avoid getting into the car with him. She didn’t trust herself and she’d rather not make things worse by accepting a ride from Esther’s...whatever Harrison was to her. But at the same time, it was Harrison Trenton. Hard to argue with that. Tucking her phone away, she made her way over and got in, buckling up. “Thanks.” Avoiding eye contact and even explaining where she lived. The nicer side of town with more private plots, gated communities and large estates.

Even as Jaime came inside, Esther started to glare daggers but it did subside when he offered to stay with Abby too. Yeah, he better and if he hated her for anything that happened that night or could have happened, she’d have words with him.

She brought her gaze back to her friend’s and smiled slowly, nodding her head slightly as if to tell her, ‘Eh, let him.’

Abby looked at him and she nodded her head slowly. “Okay. You can stay as long as you want, as long as you’re comfortable. Mom’s got the cot. But...if you want...sneak into the bed with me. My face is busted, but I can still cuddle. I’ll show you.”

Esther bit back a smile. That was her Abigail Sampson.

After a few more minutes, she left and went home with her mom. The drive home was quiet. She felt like her mom really wanted to ask about what happened with Mallory but Esther didn’t want to even go there. Maybe she could just avoid it but she knew better. Ugh, why did high school have to be so confrontational? She didn’t think the news would be that bad. All she knew was that she wanted to wail at the world but the fact she cheated on Chad too and Abby’s current hospitalization had her seeking perspective. And she was currently fighting off the natural inclination to want to text Harrison to see if she could convince him to fuck her so good, she wouldn’t be able to think of a thin, let alone remember her name.

Harrison sighed as Mallory finally got intot he car. The directions she gave him took him deeper into te upper crust regions of town than he usually entered. Shiny cars, expensive houses and manicured lawns. It was all a fantastic waste of money far as he was concerned. But then, he neverreally had enough to know what he might do if he could. Maybe he'd be living it up out here in shobway hills. One way or another, it wasn't something that eally mattered at this point or likely anyother points. Harrison let Mallory sit in silence for awhile before he finally had to say something.
"So...you and the Chad the Spitfuck huh? Didn't have that pegged, gotta say." He observed.

Jaime smiled at Abby's words, knowing that it was a good sign. He didn't want her to think that things beetween them were by neccessity over, but there was a certain ditance between them now. He wasn't willing ot let her go, but he had to be able to figure out what exactly he was going to do with everything. Information. It was his lifeblood, and he needed more of it before he really made the call on how he was going to go forward.
"Don't have to ask me twice. But should probably wait for the nurse to finish her rounds so she can't chase me out." Jaime told her with a wink. Jaime did however pull his chair up her bed, sit down and reach out to take her hand, something to keep her close, to make sure she knew that he was here for her.

He wanted to say they'd need to talk later, but really, he didn't know what he'd talk about in that regard. He had to learn more. And also possibly get blind drunk and see how he felt after blowign off a sudden build up of steam.

The silence wasn’t deafening. It meant she could be lost in her mind and think about just how many oxy’s she could swipe from her step monster. But all of a sudden the silence was shattered like electricity cracking all around her. She looked at him sharply but her gaze wilted before she slid down in her seat a beat, her hands fumbling together. “Why not? Haven’t you heard? I spread my legs for just about anyone.” She wasn’t trying to have a pity party. She just wanted...what was wrong with her? Why not her?

“Probably a good idea.” Abby smiled faintly. But he did at least pull up a chair beside her and clearly made no move to leave her side. Even as he took her hand in her own, her gaze lifted to meet his again. “Do you hate me?” She whispered. The part of her that was tenacious and wouldn’t even let her heart break over a boy, one like Jaime, wanted to scream and claw her way out of the drugged up haze. But she couldn’t. She’d just have to wait until she had her wits about her again. When her face wasn’t dented.

Harrison snorted at her words.
"Of course I heard that, you advertised the fact pretty regular. Gave me your number my first day in class, remember?" He observed. "Look, there's not a whole lot I'm really good at, being an asshole is pretty far up that list. But bluntly, if you're that stuck on the guy, and he's not interested, then he's fuckin' dumber than I think he is. And I think he's pretty fuckin' dumb. You were willing to change yourself to be a better fit for him, and he didn't even notice. That's a kind of devotion that doesn't come up often. If that's not enough for him, then you can do better."

Jaime heaved a sigh. Honesty. It was all he had going for him at this point.
"No. I don't hate you Abby. I...I don't understand what happened, I don't...get it. And until I do get it, this is hard. I'm not saying I'm not hurt and confused. But you'd have to go pretty far out of your way to make me actualyl hate you Abs."

She grimaced a little. “Yup.” Another reason she wanted to avoid getting into his car. “Painfully, I do remember.” She murmured wrly, sliding her hand through her hair. But his next words came as a shock. Sure, her girlfriends said it too. Everyone said it. And now Harrison. And she’d be a fucking idiot if she listened now because the hottest, resident, bad boy-asshole told her the exact same thing. “Yeah, I know.” She sighed. “Thanks. It’s just…” She tilted her head. “It’s a lot more complicated than that, Harrison. And it’s also too late.” Her hands slid up to cover her face. “They think I don’t know but I do.” She shook her head. She found out. Hence...the bender. “There’s a DVD.” She whispered.

She opened her mouth to say something but then stopped, closing it. Her eyes fluttered closed and she shook her head. She didn’t have the strength right now and she really didn’t want to start crying again. It was a bitch not being able to breathe through her nose. Instead, Abby turned on her side to face him and tucked his hand under her cheek. “Good.” Was all she could say. “I’m tired, Jaime.” She murmured. “Enough excitement today.” She stifled a yawn, but she couldn’t open her eyes. They were too tired, too swollen to keep open any longer and she could feel a new dose of painkillers making their way through her system. Ah, good. Dreamless and nightmare-less sleep.

Harrison shrugged.
"Okay, so there's a DVD. That DVD showing anyone anything you haven't showed before? Like...really, they can't use anything like that agaisnt you unless you decide that what they've got is worth something to you. Take it from a person who's had his reputation dragged through the mud more times than I can count. Look...you take the thing they're trying to hit you with. And you wear it like a badge of honour. Once they can't use it against you, it usually goes away. Or changes into something you can use." Harrison explained. "I was a fighter. Picked fights, hurt people when they came at me. People got on me because of my temper, because of where I live, because of a lot of things. So that's what I am now. Im a vicious violent thug of a person, but now they can't use that against me. It's armour now. Made me who I am. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking, but...if they can't shame you, they can't control you. If they can't control you, then they're scared of you. And once they're scared of you, then you're not just a girl, you're something else, and that'll carry you places. Might not be fun places, but places."

Jaime let her go, let her get the sleep she needed. He talked to her mother briefly, but it looked like she was almost as wrung out as her daughter was, and no wonder. Once her mother was asleep, and once the nurse had finished the check, Jaime knew he had a few hours at least, and actually did make good on Abby's offer, shifting her to the side slightly and hopping onto the bed with her, planting a gentle kiss on the side of her head away from the bruises. He just held her gently, and let hismelf be close to her, something he thought they both might need right then.

“Yes--No...but...So I am a slut but it’s not like I want the entire school to see me gangbanged by the entire football team!” She huffed, throwing her hands up in the air. But then she stopped, calmed herself down and listened to what he said. It was enough to prompt her looking in his direction looking intrigued. There was a method to his madness after all and it made...sense. It made all the sense. So she was a slut. She stole other girls’ boyfriends. She was the girl that let Blake sweet talk her and have let the football team gang bang her. But it didn’t have to be a badge of dishonor unless she let it. Blinking her eyes, Mallory turned her gaze from him and looked out forward. Well shit, no one said that before. And she liked the logic a lot. “Interestingly...that’s genius.” It was the first time this entire week since she was trying to stay sober that she didn’t feel like popping a pill. She didn’t even want to think about it. She was a slut. Guys were manwhores and womanizers. They were worshipped. She was a slut and she was demeaned. No fucking longer!

Harrison nodded as she seemed to grasp what he was getting at.
"You learn a few things outside of the rich end of town. Us poor folk have to figure shit out like this." He said with a smirk, letting her know that more than anything else he was just giving her the gears. "And if it's guys you're worried about, there's plenty of them out there that have no issue with a girl with a rep for being a slut. Shit, I know a bunch that prefer it really." He stopped the car at the laneway to her house.

"So don't let one group of dumb jackasses screw your head up too far. We're already fucked enough without their help. Take care of yourself Mal. Gonna be days when you're the only one that's going to. Keep your head up, a dgrin on your face adn tell anyone that tries to tell you otherwise to go fuck themselves." he told her with a nod. He smiled at her, letting her know that he was joking when he said the next few words. "Now get out of my car. FOlk see me driving rich girls around they'll think I'm a chauffeur or something."

She couldn’t help giving him a completely unamused look to his smirk. If that was a dig at her and where she lived, and her background, she wasn’t about to dignify it with a response. Besides, it’s not like it was cushy. Not when her choices were backfiring on her. She envied Esther and Abby. They had parents that were there. Seemed like no matter what she did, Mallory couldn’t get her parents to notice. But the amused look dropped and she was wondering exactly what guy would prefer a slutty girl to a...non-slutty girl. “Maybe you can introduce me then.”

Looking out the window and seeing the ridiculously large estate of her parents’ home, Mallory made no move to actually get out. She looked at him and nodded her head slowly. She wished he wasn’t being nice to her. Made it harder to feel gloomy but he did have a point. If she owned it, nothing could hurt her. “Thanks Harrison.” She made to open the door and stopped when he bid her goodbye in his own tongue. A grin flashed on her face and she tilted her head in his direction. “Don’t worry. No one could ever mistake you for a chauffeur.” Getting out of the car, she waved to him and made her way up to the house and let herself in without looking back.

That next morning, she rolled over onto her side as the blaring sound of her alarm jarred her from a restless but restful sleep. As she turned the alarm off, her vision focused in on the bottle of booze and pills sitting right there on her nightstand. She didn’t touch them. Mallory took Harrison’s words to heart. And she wasn’t about to let things completely ruin her. She still had the rest of high school.

Today was a new day. Dressed in her best, Mallory walked through the halls of the school. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and could practically feel the judging eyes and hear the rude whispers of hate. Keep your head up, a grin on your face and tell anyone that tries to tell you otherwise to go fuck themselves. “I got this.” She whispered to herself, walking to her, Esther and Abby’s spot at the lockers they always met at before class started. She knew Abby wouldn’t be in, obviously. But maybe there was damage control to be done between her and Esther.

Esther hadn’t gotten much sleep. She tried but it was mostly tossing and turning. She talked to her mom about some of it and despite the fact she wanted to pry, Esther remained vague. Even that morning, their talk was minimal and she implored the woman to talk about anything she wanted to avoid talking about teenage problems. Hashtag, white girl problems. Dressed and ready to go, her mom dropped her off and Esther adjusted the strap of her bag. It was going to be weird not seeing Abby that morning.

And then it hit her. She might see Mallory. No, she’d likely see Mallory. Right? The first steps into the school hall toward their lockers were hesitant but she found a groove, carrying herself over. The closer she got, the more Mallory’s gorgeous self came into view. Only today she looked brighter, not so faded and actually alive. Okay, now she was intrigued.

“Hey.” She blinked her eyes. “Am I seeing things?”

Mallory smiled. “Nope. I’m here. I’m alive!” She leaned in and whispered. “I’m sober.”

“You’re so…” She trailed off, looking her up and down. Dressed? Bright? “Chipper.”

“New leaf. Never too late, right?”

“Right.” Esther looked at her like she might have grown a second head.

“I want to talk about last night.”

“What about last night? I don’t recall?” Esther asked.

“Seriously? Playing dumb?”

“I was going for...aloof.” She waved her hand absently.

Mallory grinned but then let it fade. “I’m sorry.”
“Mal--”
“Look, I make a lot of stupid choices and decisions. And more often than not, I don’t care to think about how it would affect others. Especially the ones closest to me that I do actually love.”

“You actually love people?” Esther asked with playful sarcasm.

“Shh, don’t tell anyone!” She smiled. “The way you looked never mattered to me. You could look like you do now or you could be how you always looked. You’d always be Esther Martin, one of my favorite people.”

“And you could be a big slut-ho-bag and you’d still be the Mallory Joyner I love.” She sighed. “Chad didn’t deserve us.”
“No, he didn’t.”
“I cheated on him with Harrison.”
“I know.”
“That was after he cheated on me with you.”
“It’s like you knew.”

“I know.” Esther slid a hand through her hair. “We’ll get past this.”
“Yes we will.”
“If you spread your legs for Harrison Trenton, I will pull your ovaries out of your body with my bare hand.”

Mallory laughed but realizing how serious she was being, she nodded her head quickly. “Deal!” She leaned back against the locker and pulled Esther in beside her. “How much did your mom freak seeing you with Harrison?”

“She’s making him come to a mandatory dinner.” She groaned, sliding her hand over her face. “And he agreed.” She shook her head. “It’s like they’re both trying to kill me.”
“It’ll be a stand off.” She grinned. “You ready for today?”

She blew out a puff of air, her hand sliding through her hair again, only frazzling it some more. “Are you?”

“Not really.”
“Good, me neither.”

Back
Top Bottom