Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Life of Valor (Grave x Kat)

Scott felt Jessica give him a tight hug and smiled.
"I'm okay, babe."
He turned to Holbrook.
"Your power suit is smashed to pieces and your androids have been shut down. It's over."
Holbrook began laughing a very insane laugh that sent shivers up Scott's spine.

"Over?! Nothing is over, you fools!"
Holbrook pulled out a small device from his coat and punched a button on it.
"Just in case Plan A failed, I had a Plan B. If I can't have your armor, then you can't have your city."
Throwing the device aside, Holbrook collapsed, fainting from the exertion.

Holbrook's device had activated the androids, and they were now marching out of the factory and towards the city. Their primary goal was complete destruction of Detroit and the slaughter of any who got in their way. They were equipped with a variety of weapons, and would self-destruct before shutting down. Scott and Jessica now had a new fight on their hands, as over 100 of these automatons were on a collision course with the city. Scott took Jessica's hand and rushed with her back where they came. They had to stop the androids before they reached the city or who knew how many innocent people would be killed.

Scott let go of Jessica's hand and jumped in front of the androids.
"No way am I letting a single one of you get past me!"
Unleashing his Million Punches of Valor, he tore into his metal foes with unrelenting might. His energy enhanced fists pummeled them down, but more kept streaming ahead to replace those he destroyed. Being forced to use the technique again and again, his armored gauntlets started to crack under the strain.
"This isn't going to work..."

Seeing that there were simply too many to stop using the Million Punches of Valor, he turned toward Jessica.
"Get down and cover your head!"
Holding up his right gauntlet, he prepared to unleash a technique capable of destroying everything around him.
"Shockwave of Valor!"
His gauntlet glowed and then unleashed a ring of golden light that spread a great distance in size. In an instant, all of the androids were destroyed.

Scott smiled, and his armored gauntlets shattered after the force used in the attack. It would be a whole day before he could reapply that part of his armor, but the city was safe and they had won. Collapsing to his knees, his armor disappeared and he breathed heavily.
"Next time...I'm using the Shockwave of Valor first."
Not accustomed to large group battles, he realized that this had been a lesson for him in combat strategy. Getting to his feet, he began making his way over to Jessica, wanting to make sure that she was safe.

Jessica looked on worriedly but did as he instructed and hid behind a tin carton by the wall but when the shock wave set off the wall crumbled some and some of the rubble fell on top of her. When she heard Scott's words she struggled to get out from under it but winced as she felt a strong pain in her left arm where she'd shielded herself from the collapsing wall.

Scott was worried as he saw Jessica wince in pain.
"Jessica?!"
He hurried over to her, seeing that the pain was in her arm. Checking it, he saw that it wasn't broken but was heavily bruised from when she shielded herself.
"It should be okay if we put some ice on it later."
He hugged Jessica in relief, happy that she was okay and that Holbrook was stopped.

As Scott and Jessica left the factory, police cars, fire trucks, and an ambulance passed by them. They got into Scott's vehicle and made the drive home. Once they were home, he got an ice pack and put it on Jessica's arm.
"I'm sorry that you got hurt because of me, babe."
After wrapping the ice pack in gauze around her arm to keep it in place, he gently took her hand.
"I am really glad that you were with me out there today, though."

Jessica looked up at him sadly then looked down and sighed. "I'm sorry I'm so useless... I couldn't even disable the androids... I'll just get in the way eventually..."

Scott shook his head.
"You're not useless. You did disable the androids, he just had a failsafe that we couldn't have known about. Bad guys are unpredictable...even professional superheroes with powers have been caught off-guard by them."
Scott sighed.
"I'm not worried about you getting in the way, but I am worried about you getting hurt."

Scott stood up and walked over to the kitchen.
"My biggest fear came true today, that the person who hurt you wasn't the bad guy...it was me."
He ran cold water into a cup to fill it up and then came back to the living room.
"My powers are pure destruction, dangerous to all around me, friend and enemy alike. Today it was just an injured arm, but what if one of my Shining Fists went awry and a large chunk of a building fell toward you? What if I couldn't get there in time to save you..."

Scott sighed sadly, handing her the cold water.
"Jessica...I love you with all of my heart, but my powers and lifestyle will always be a danger in our relationship. I know you want to be there by my side, supporting me, but today proved that I can't be trusted not to hurt you in the heat of battle and when things are getting chaotic. I want to say that you should stay far away from my battles...but perhaps what I should really say is stay far away from me. It may be best for all of us if we end our relationship here. Today proved that it's far too dangerous for a normal human being to be in a relationship with a superhero."

Jessica looked up at him and forced a small smile as he tried to comfort her before she grew more and more worried as he talked about how he hurt her and could hurt her. Then her fear came true as he said they should end their relationship. "Scott..." She set the water aside and reached out, clinging to his hand and he'd be able to see pain, sorrow, and desperation in her eyes. "No... Scott please don't say that. I love you. I love you so much I can't believe it sometimes. I can't lose you. Please... don't leave me..." She said as she felt tears prickling at her eyes.

Scott felt her clinging to his hand, that soft hand that sent warmth shooting through every part of his body as he held it. That warmth, however, was extinguished by the cold pain that he could no longer be with her. Looking into her eyes, the pain and desperation apparent, made him want to scream that he would never leave her side, that he would protect her until the end of his days. He wanted to hold her close and never let go, this woman that he loved beyond comprehension. Looking into her eyes, this strong, strong man fell to his knees and sobbed uncontrollably. When he looked up, his eyes were like someone who had barely avoided dying in warfare, terrified and sad.

"I don't want to leave you, Jessica...I don't want to lose you. But if I don't, I might lose you forever if you die..."
Scott lapsed into more uncontrolled sobbing before finally pulling himself together. He stood up and turned away, trying hard to be like cold steel. Reaching into his pocket, he took a small card out of his wallet and tossed it onto the table. It landed perfectly, facing Jessica.

"That is the combination to the safe in my office. It contains several thousand dollars as well as important business papers. That money will help pay the bills on this house during this transition period. My house and business are yours now. I was stupid to believe that I could ever have a normal life with a normal woman in normal society. I'm going back to Shadowgreen where I belong, and will join the Shadow Force."

Scott could not look at Jessica, but neither could he stay cold at her.
"My love for you is something I will carry until my dying day. I know I might die a broken and miserable man, but that's a fate I'm willing to embrace if it means you live a full life. It seems more just that you live a long, sad life rather than a short, happy life. At least I could give you a means of support, and that the life I built could comfort you where I cannot. The worst thing I ever did to you was letting you fall in love with me, knowing what I was and what you are."

Tears had continued to pour down his cheeks, and many fell upon the floor.
"Goodbye, Jessica."
Scott tossed the keys to his car on the table and then opened the door to leave his house for the last time. Willing the Boots of Valor onto his feet, he jumped over a mile in distance thanks to Valor's power, keeping Jessica from being able to follow him. Leaving everything behind, his plan was to use his power to get to the Shadowgreen Institute in France. That would probably take him a couple hours with his powers, and along the way, he had to keep telling himself that this was what was right for Jessica to keep himself from returning to her, his heart ripping anew every time the thoughts went through his head.

Jessica's heart broke as she saw him so broken, then sank as he spoke to her so coldly, tears of her own falling down her cheeks as she murmured softly while he spoke. "No." "Don't." "Please." "Scott." In a random, scattered order. Her eyes then widened and her heart shattered as he said goodbye to her. She rushed out the door to stop him as she saw him jump so far away. As he disappeared into the distance she fell to her knees, clutching her chest as she sobbed, shaking almost violently as the pain in her heart was so strong, it felt like it hurt to even breath. "No... Please..." She turned her head up and practically screamed out in agony. "Don't leave me alone again! SCOTT!"

Unfortunately, reality has a cold, unfeeling regard toward the facts. Had Scott been able to hear Jessica's agonized screams from where he was, he would have rushed back to her in an instant. A man with a heart as compassionate as Scott's could never ignore the pained cries of a loved one. But he did not hear her, as he was no longer in Michigan, but in Massachusetts. His plan was to reach the Atlantic Ocean and get across to England. From there, he would just have to cross the English Channel to get to France, and from there, he could find Shadowgreen.

As Scott had crossed the states, he had been covered in his armor and running and jumping like a man possessed. Valor tried to talk Scott out of it, tried to convince him that he was overreacting and not giving Jessica enough credit, but his old friend would have none of it. Scott truly believed that a romantic relationship with Jessica was a death sentence for her, and though it hurt to breathe from missing her so much, he pressed on. When he reached the very tip of the Atlantic Ocean, he was about to jump as far as he possibly could before a bright light began shining next to him.
"What?!"

The spectral Chiang appeared before him, a look of serenity on his face.
"Scott, I need your help. You haven't been an easy man to contact lately, so I guessed where you would go and came here."
"Now's really not a good time, Chiang."
The monk was completely shocked, having never heard his student refuse to help someone before.
"Scott, what troubles you so?"

"I don't want to talk about it."
"Scott, please, if you--"
"I SAID I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!"
Scott threw a punch aimed at Chiang's head, intending for it to be a Fist of Valor. However, Valor had seen Scott was not in his right mind and locked away the power needed for the techniques. As such, the punch that could destroy diamonds passed harmlessly through Chiang's spectral form.

"Something is bad wrong here. You're coming with me, Scott."
Chiang opened a portal and Scott was instantly transported to Chiang's realm. Within the realm, his corporeal body was held down by spectral chains over his torso, so that he was laying down and could not move much.
"Chiang! Let me go, dammit!"

Chiang, with a worried look, stood over him.
"You are not possessed by an evil spirit, so that is a relief. What possesses you is an ailment of the heart that is clouding your mind. You are filled with much sorrow and pain, and that easily turns to rage. Until your rage is spent, I cannot help you."
With Valor sealing off his spirit energy, Scott was helplessly bound by the chains.

Scott screamed in rage and struggled at the chains, trying to use all of his mortal strength, which was incredible, to snap them. However, they held him fast, and the more he resisted the more the chains tightened. His screams of anger turned to screams of emotional pain, until the screaming stopped and the sobbing began. Without the strength to sustain his Valor Armor, Scott laid there in just his civilian clothes and wept uncontrollably. Chiang watched in sadness as Scott suffered emotionally, but knew this had to pass before his student and friend's rationality would return and they could work through this.
"JESSICA!" Scott screamed one last time before the pain reduced him to silence, the only sound being his sniffling as tears stained the floor of Chiang's temple.

Jessica knelt there and sobbed whole heartedly, her heart wracked with pain as she clutched her chest. "Don't leave me... I'll do anything... I'll become strong. I'll protect you. Please... Don't leave me..." She sniffled as she let out another choked sob. "Someone... Please... Help me show him my love..."

Scott could not hear the pleas of Jessica, but in another dimension far from Earth, Empress Enjela could. These pleas came not as words, but feelings, and ever since Enjela and Jessica had bonded in a heart-to-heart session, she could feel her feelings like her own. These feelings were unusual, deep pain and sorrow, and Scott's feelings were similar. A break up, perhaps? But what could have led two individuals who were clearly and deeply in love to break up? Curious, Enjela decided to visit Jessica and see if she could get answers to her burning questions.

Using her powers, she was able to teleport herself to Earth, using Jessica's feelings as a gateway. This allowed her to materialize right next to Jessica on Scott's doorstep, and was alarmed to see her on her knees.
"Jessica, sweetie, what happened? Where's Scott? Did you two have a fight?"
Using an emotionally-soothing touch on the shoulder, she was able to connect with Jessica and stabilize her feelings, as well as being able to feel them and see them take form.

Jessica had continued to sob until she blinked in surprise as Engela arrived. She looked up but could barely see past her overflowing tears. She wiped them away and felt her heart be soothed slightly as she sniffled and fell into Enjela's arms crying still. She explained the situation to her. How Scott had left her, fearing she would get hurt if she was with him, but also expressing the deep pain being without him caused, how the years of loneliness seemed a hundred times harder after having had such a wonderful connection with Scott.

Enjela held Jessica in her arms as she cried, listening to her story about what happened between her and Scott. She was in disbelief, but also not surprised that Scott would sacrifice his own happiness for Jessica's safety.
"I've said it before and I'll say it again, that boy is entirely too noble for his own good."
Enjela gently comforted her.
"But he's not only being way too hard on himself, he's not giving you enough credit or thinking logically of your happiness."

Enjela gently smiled.
"Men are like that sometimes. They try so hard to protect us and don't realize that just being by their side makes us brave enough to face any danger. Scott blames himself unfairly for you getting hurt, it is truly that Holbrook man's fault you got hurt. Scott tends to be just like my late husband, they take too much upon themselves. Amazing how even some men's flaws are rooted in goodness."

Enjela sat down with Jessica.
"I will set your mind at ease and let you know that Scott is safe. He is in Chiang's realm, and if any man could help Scott now, it is him. The question for you is how badly do you want Scott back? Are you willing to face any danger to prove that your love conquers all? If you are to be together again, you two must work on your connection like never before."

Jessica sniffled softly in Enjela's arms as she expressed Scott's flaws and smiled a little sadly as she mentioned how he was like her departed husband. She nodded sadly as she said that Scott was safe. She then looked up at her, her eyes broken and desperate as she nodded. "I don't mind fighting any foe as long as I can be with him..."

Enjela nodded, seeing the determination in Jessica's face.
"The man who can help you accomplish that is Alan. I'm sure he'd be delighted to help you out in order to make up for that business with your mother. He blamed himself entirely too much for that for entirely too long."
Enjela opened a large orange portal in front of them.
"Enter this Fire Gate, and it will take you right to Alan."

Enjela hugged her back.
"You're welcome. Now go in there and show everyone how powerful your love is."
The Empress watched as Jessica entered the portal and the Fire Gate closed behind her.
"Alan, Chiang...Don't let these two young people who are perfect for each other throw this love away. Help Scott and Jessica overcome this obstacle so that these two halves of one heart can be whole once more."
Enjela disappeared, returning to Kasha using the emotions of her people. Sitting on the throne, her thoughts turned to Jukei and Vizharr, and how she could prepare the training for Scott when he arrived on her planet once more.

Alan was sitting on his throne sending out fire to those in need of warmth when one of the gates to his realm opened. Expecting to see Scott come through at any moment, he was surprised when only Jessica appeared first. When ten minutes passed, the time it took for Jessica to walk to his home's front gate, and Scott had still not appeared, he grew concerned and puzzled. Reaching out to the great cosmic knowledge, he learned what had transpired and knew what he had to do. Alan got up from his throne and exited the front gate, smiling politely at Jessica.
"Jessica, it is good to see you again."

Alan gave her a gentle hug between friends and then looked at her with his hands on her shoulders.
"I am sorry for what has transpired, but I know what must be done. You will set Scott's heart at ease by learning to defend yourself and look out for yourself. If Scott feels that he does not have to worry about protecting you and that you can survive if he is not there, he will be relieved enough to be with you once more. You said that you were willing to face any foe to be with him. Are you willing to face yourself and overcome obstacles from within, to fight the foe if it is yourself?"

Some time had passed, and Scott was asleep from emotional exhaustion. Valor spoke with Chiang, explaining what had happened between him and Jessica.
"I see. His spirit is weakened, and must be cleansed to be made stronger. When he awakes, we will proceed into the temple. He must be stronger emotionally before he can help me, and so I must help him. Such is the cycle of life."
Chiang sat down to meditate while he waited for Scott to wake.

Jessica smiled sadly at Alan as he said it was good to see her again and she hugged him back gently before taking a breath and nodding. "I will need your guidance... it is not easy to overcome yourself... but I am willing to do everything I can to be with Scott again... I don't want to be alone anymore. I love him."

Alan nodded with a smile.
"He loves you, as well. Let's start with what you know. You have a black belt in Karate, but it is a more defensive kind. I will teach you Kyokushin Karate first, the most offensive type of Karate."
They began going over the basics of the style: stances, single hits, balance, and all of the other basics that she needed.

After about an hour of basics and conditioning, all aided by Alan's realm improving Jessica's ability to learn like Scott before her, they were ready to spar.
"Use all of the basics in attacking me. You will get better with live practice."
Alan stood there and would let her hit him, her human strength not enough to hurt a god.

Jessica took a breath and nodded, taking the stance he had shown her before taking fluid, balanced steps towards him then striking out with her fist at him.

Back
Top Bottom