Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

ZOMBIEPOCALYPSE - Updated Pg.1 - 12/22/09 -

Do you like the new scenario?

• Yay.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Nay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs work.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

The Broken Lunatic

Super-Earth
Anyone?

I'm thinkin' original characters, maybe possibly characters from the movie.

Or maybe just a general Zombie Apocalypse RP?

Update - 12/11/09

Hey guys! Guess what?!

Vampire Seduction approached me with a similar zombiepocalypse roleplay but I told him that I had this one in the works, so we decided to combine the two!

Here's his little newsletter:
vampire seduction said:
Alright, the time you all have waited for has come: thy unveiling of the RP! First I must say that this thread has now become a hybrid being under the care of both The_Broken_Lunatic and myself, as she was to create her own thread similar to my own. With that said, I has details for you all:

This thread with first and foremost be loosely GMed. Unlike many Group RPs, which I consider to be old school, where the thread creator plays the role of most NPCs and seeks to actively propel the characters through the story, in this thread the story belongs mostly in the hands of the players. BL and I shall be players such as yourselves, more or less, and together we will work on behind the scenes plots to make things interesting. It is the job of all of us to make this seem as wonderfully, and horrifically, realistic as possible (in regards to how the survival of our characters will play out.

We will make the story, bringing our own elements into play. We will interact, explore, fight for our lives in this world. There is practically no limit to what we can do, so long as it makes sense in the RP. Basically, play out your character as if you are truly trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world which just happens to contain a fair amount of zombies.

Now, we will be centering this thread in America. Not North America, the United States. Canada and Mexico can be options, however for the sake of simplicity we should all start somewhere in the US. You might wonder what I mean by 'somewhere'. Well, there is no requirement in starting together. We could all start in different cities across the country or we could be clumped in certain ones. The choice is yours. Of course, if you are off on your own (we should be seeking to meet up somehow, have some kind of goal in mind as you go about posting and traveling) then you will likely be seeking out other survivors and trying to stick to the old logic of safety in numbers and basically just stay alive.

You can also make up NPCs that are currently with or maybe you run into someone. Perhaps you stumble across a group of survivors and decide to shack up with them. Just remember: People will be highly suspicious and cautious of newcomers, likely putting them on strict watch until they are certain there is no risk of infection. But yes, you can create a little band of survivors to keep you company.

I should also make one thing clear: characters can, and will, die. It's reality, and you better be damned sure that if this was real, people would be dying for whatever reason. While I said that we wouldn't be driving things, I'm sure there will be times that NPC attacks will occur at our hands, just to keep it interesting. If we decide someone dies then so be it (though it'd prolly be discussed first and we wouldn't be dicks about it). You will be expected to RP out the majority of attacks, whether they be finished in one post or twenty, because what fun is it if you never fight some zombies?

At present, over 90% of the US is dead or turned to walking corpses. This means that survivors are in a vast minority. The zombies in this thread are fast and strong (though not superhuman, just above human) and also intelligent to a point. They are primarily active at night, though they are always 'awake'. They can move and act during the day but they are weakened; which still makes them just about a match for the average human. Infection spreads through bodily fluids, usually blood and saliva and typically caused by zombie fluids being absorbed into the bloodstream or ingested.

Military bases are a decent bet for places to survive. Many, at least the smaller ones, can be quite defensible, though they are in no way immune to attack or possibly in one piece by the time they are reached.

Now, since this point was one of conflict for some of you, I should take the time to mention what sort of characters can be played. There will be some aspect of fantasy to this thread, but it will be strictly limited. Once-human creatures are allowed. Human-like creatures are not. There is a difference. The first is anything such as genetically altered humans, vampires, lycans, etc. The latter type is elves, faeries, ogres, etc. Vampires were once human, elves are a totally separate race. See the difference? As for magic... that's a different story. Very restrictive and not likely to be seen. In fact, the only way I see magic working would be if you played an angel or demon or something, which I don't really consider magic but whatever. What I am trying to get at is that everything mentioned above is limited, as most of the players should be human, and anything fantasy-like should be run by BL and myself.

Also, in regards to infections, vampires and lycans and such and some humans are immune to the virus. However, you are not immune to getting eaten. You're forewarned with that. We won't abide godmoddery, not that I think any of you would do that anyways, just sayin.

Update - 12/22/09

Thread has been created.
Click here.​

Re: Zombieland RP?

Just Watched the Zombieland movie ^.^

I like the naming scheme ^.^

I'm going to go ahead and post what I've got as far as an introduction.
Some was taken directly from the Zombie Survival Guide.
I'm still not entirely satisfied with it, but that is why I am bringing it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SETTING
23 Weeks After Initial Infection
Class 3 - Class 4 Outbreak

The infection spread like wildfire. Traces of the virus started popping up in Third-World countries and were given little attention, but once American troops were attacked, they were quarantined and brought state side for further study. Subject Zero, one of the first infected soldiers, was shipped to the nationâ??s capital for cross examination. Expiring on the way, he rose several hours later, attacking the government official who was performing the autopsy. One bite, led to another, and soon the entire capital was overrun by infected, delivering a crippling blow to the government and to the nation.

The Class 3 outbreak took a quick turn for the worse, spiraling toward Class 4, an undead world. Survivors are thin as humanity has been violently shoved toward extinction. The nation has become an undead wasteland, deteriorating with every passing month.

Those in power, along with their families and associates, hole up in bunkers and secure areas around the country. Secure in these shelters, originally build for the Cold War, they survive. Perhaps they continue the façade of a government command structure. Perhaps the technology is available to communicate with other agencies or even other protected world leaders. For all practical purposes, however, they are nothing more than a government-in-exile. With the total collapse of law and order, small bands of individuals emerge to assert their authority. Looters, bandits, and common thugs prey on the survivors, taking what they want and indulging in whatever pleasure they find.

What police and military forces are left serve as protection for the government in hiding, desert in an attempt to save their families, or degenerate into bandits themselves. A total collapse in communication and transportation sweeps the globe. Isolated cities become open battlegrounds, with scattered groups of citizens fighting to defend barricaded areas from both ghouls and human renegades. Neglected machines eventually break down or, in some cases, blow up. Reactor meltdowns and other industrial accidents are common, polluting the landscape with toxic chemical by-products.

Because of the radiation, the infected around such places mutate, adapting certain â??abilitiesâ?? that allow them to become even more dangerous. This mutation also allows the decomposition process to stall causing the infected to last longer as well as boosting strength and speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still not sure on where in the U.S. it will take place.
I'm starting to lean toward the east coast since it'd be close to where it all went down.​

I quite like the setup for it so far. East Coast sounds like a good location - possibly the deserted remains of Washington D.C, or a more rural area in Pennsylvania or the Carolinas? Also, having the industrial disasters and reactor meltdowns being the cause of the mutations is pretty neat, and does a good way of explaining how it happened without getting too scientific.

Yes good set up, I think outskirts of a large town or city would be a good setting, sets well with industrial pollution would have polluted these areas first and not the middle of towns and city’s there fore the zombie’s/ creatures here would mutate at a faster rate. On the outskirts you still get a urban feel but and have a wilderness feel also. Contrast of the two I think is good.

Don't die on me yet!

Here's an idea for the zombie portion of the intro: how about for a bestiary, we go around and gather pictures of regular zombies to grossly deformed and create names ( if they're not L4D related ) while giving a general description of each.

Not really sure if I'm down for doing this myself as I am already swamped with house chores, mainly gathering and splitting firewood, but if someone else would like to do this or at least help, I'd be a happy camper.​

Right, here is a quick skeleton I put together for you guys to start creating characters. Fill them out, then send them to me via PM. If you have any questions or ideas of the like, feel free to contact me.​

Name:

Height:

Weight:

Appearance: linkies or descriptions

Weapons of Choice:

Bio Prior To Outbreak:

Bio After Outbreak:

Motivation To Survive:

Hey guys! Guess what?!

Vampire Seduction approached me with a similar zombiepocalypse roleplay but I told him that I had this one in the works, so we decided to combine the two!

Here's his little newsletter:
vampire seduction said:
Alright, the time you all have waited for has come: thy unveiling of the RP! First I must say that this thread has now become a hybrid being under the care of both The_Broken_Lunatic and myself, as she was to create her own thread similar to my own. With that said, I has details for you all:

This thread with first and foremost be loosely GMed. Unlike many Group RPs, which I consider to be old school, where the thread creator plays the role of most NPCs and seeks to actively propel the characters through the story, in this thread the story belongs mostly in the hands of the players. BL and I shall be players such as yourselves, more or less, and together we will work on behind the scenes plots to make things interesting. It is the job of all of us to make this seem as wonderfully, and horrifically, realistic as possible (in regards to how the survival of our characters will play out.

We will make the story, bringing our own elements into play. We will interact, explore, fight for our lives in this world. There is practically no limit to what we can do, so long as it makes sense in the RP. Basically, play out your character as if you are truly trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world which just happens to contain a fair amount of zombies.

Now, we will be centering this thread in America. Not North America, the United States. Canada and Mexico can be options, however for the sake of simplicity we should all start somewhere in the US. You might wonder what I mean by 'somewhere'. Well, there is no requirement in starting together. We could all start in different cities across the country or we could be clumped in certain ones. The choice is yours. Of course, if you are off on your own (we should be seeking to meet up somehow, have some kind of goal in mind as you go about posting and traveling) then you will likely be seeking out other survivors and trying to stick to the old logic of safety in numbers and basically just stay alive.

You can also make up NPCs that are currently with or maybe you run into someone. Perhaps you stumble across a group of survivors and decide to shack up with them. Just remember: People will be highly suspicious and cautious of newcomers, likely putting them on strict watch until they are certain there is no risk of infection. But yes, you can create a little band of survivors to keep you company.

I should also make one thing clear: characters can, and will, die. It's reality, and you better be damned sure that if this was real, people would be dying for whatever reason. While I said that we wouldn't be driving things, I'm sure there will be times that NPC attacks will occur at our hands, just to keep it interesting. If we decide someone dies then so be it (though it'd prolly be discussed first and we wouldn't be dicks about it). You will be expected to RP out the majority of attacks, whether they be finished in one post or twenty, because what fun is it if you never fight some zombies?

At present, over 90% of the US is dead or turned to walking corpses. This means that survivors are in a vast minority. The zombies in this thread are fast and strong (though not superhuman, just above human) and also intelligent to a point. They are primarily active at night, though they are always 'awake'. They can move and act during the day but they are weakened; which still makes them just about a match for the average human. Infection spreads through bodily fluids, usually blood and saliva and typically caused by zombie fluids being absorbed into the bloodstream or ingested.

Military bases are a decent bet for places to survive. Many, at least the smaller ones, can be quite defensible, though they are in no way immune to attack or possibly in one piece by the time they are reached.

Now, since this point was one of conflict for some of you, I should take the time to mention what sort of characters can be played. There will be some aspect of fantasy to this thread, but it will be strictly limited. Once-human creatures are allowed. Human-like creatures are not. There is a difference. The first is anything such as genetically altered humans, vampires, lycans, etc. The latter type is elves, faeries, ogres, etc. Vampires were once human, elves are a totally separate race. See the difference? As for magic... that's a different story. Very restrictive and not likely to be seen. In fact, the only way I see magic working would be if you played an angel or demon or something, which I don't really consider magic but whatever. What I am trying to get at is that everything mentioned above is limited, as most of the players should be human, and anything fantasy-like should be run by BL and myself.

Also, in regards to infections, vampires and lycans and such and some humans are immune to the virus. However, you are not immune to getting eaten. You're forewarned with that. We won't abide godmoddery, not that I think any of you would do that anyways, just sayin.

If you're interested, I will provide the link to the thread once it is created.

I approve, I'm interested, and I see many characters dieing terribly in various ways.

Alright, so let's begin this discussion with talk of the zombies. Some people have remarked that they prefer a traditional approach to them, which I won't fault at all. However, I simply do not find traditional zombies to be appropriately scary. Yes, there's the mindfuck factor with having a groaning, shambling corpse coming after you. But is it really a threat? Hardly. I mean, you can easily outrun the old school type zombie. The only real advantage they ever will have is in numbers. Even then, if you have an easily defensible position (given that they do not have increased strength), you hardly have anything to fear if you keep your wits about you.

Now the newer age zombies are something to fear. Stronger and faster than your 'normal' zombie it's harder to outrun these ones, or even to fight them off. Still a walking corpse and still a moaning, groaning wreck, they hold the old school zombie charm whilst posing a greater threat to your average survivor. Flowing blood plays a role into this, allowing the more humanlike agility, though you can still easily pick out a zombie from a human. The whole congealed blood always strikes me as odd, and I don't like the seemingly 'because I say so' answer of "Oh, it takes a long time for the zombies to rot because the microbes that take care of decomposition don't like the taste of the virus." Just doesn't sit right with me. So, it makes more sense to me if we go with zombies that have blood (which makes them even cooler when you shoot'em up ^.^) yet are not dependent upon it and/or oxygen and such. Essentially, without the blood flow they will have staggered movement due to being more restricted without that fresh blood. A little odd, but it's creative liberty :3

As for vampires and lycans. You don't have to worry, they won't be 'enemies' of humans. In fact, there is a general mindest of just trying to stay alive and work together somewhat (though granted vampires and lycans will be very disagreeable towards each other). They will not be a focus of the story, however, and will not crop up in any significant amount. Remember, just because they are immune to the virus and are better at defending themselves than the typical survivor does not mean they cannot be eaten and killed. As of writing this, ZERO players are allowed to have vampire characters, lycans are possibly allowed. Run everything like that by BL and myself.

So. The floor is open for discussion. Let us know what you think, post it all here so communication is open and such. We'll try to hash this all out as best we can to make everyone more or less happy. Also, please try to post frequently in this. We want to get this up and running asap. Actual RP posting can vary, of course, there's not gonna be any rushing you lot on that.

A quick question before the rest, why would there be Vampires or Lycans in a Zombie Apocalypse?
I read that you wanted some fantasy in the plot, but that detracts from the point of a Zombie Apocalypse roleplay in my opinion, Humans Vs. Zombies.

Tis a fair question and mostly because of some personal preference. It was something that I wanted to toss into mine, for a very specific reason which will be currently nameless, and BL agreed to it, which sparked something of her own. The reasoning behind it is, if we consider the fact that not only is this a fantasy/scifi thread already given that zombies are involved but if we consider vampirism and lycanthropy to be caused by a virus as well, then it ties neatly into part of the central idea. We were also considering that the same virus may have caused all three issues, just that the virus first struck centuries ago and created the first vampire and the original lycan, then was dormant and undisturbed where it evolved and now creates zombies. We're not going to get into the creation backstory of vamps/lycans, however, and the only past things involving them would be character backstory and such.

Meh, I am more a fan of realistic zombie rps if the theme is going to be about zombie survival.

Was the reason by chance that you wanted to play a Lycan or vampire?

It kind of ruins it for me if we have lycans, demons, and whatever running around giving either certain characters unfair advantages or having everybody playing something not human, which I assume will happen if alternatives are offered, even I would be tempted to play some genetic-experiment-gone-loose. If you changed it away from a Zombie Apocalypse into more of a supernatural war, I would buy that.

I have to say I liked the way BL's was set up much more, realistic zombies, semi-immune humans, special infected to add some spice and horror to the encounters, and human enemies to boot.

To be honest, this is an RP that I played in long ago that died due to lack of forum activity. The key is that the players, given the remarkable freedom, must be fair in what they do. Yes, a vampire could take on perhaps ten zombie single-handedly. More than that would be pushing it. They also have their limitations that must be understood and remembered. Lycans are the same way. This is not meant to be centered around the supernatural aspects of the characters, but instead around the survival. Yes, it adds the supernatural into it, but I have found that, when governed properly, it does not cause as much of an issue.

I believe I said it already that creatures such as these are highly restricted, perhaps even to the point that no player is allowed to be a vampire or lycan. In fact, were there to be a need, I would restrict us to only one of your picking a vampire and one a lycan and the rest being human. Humans are the meat of this RP, adding vampires and lycans simply instills greater flexibility into the mix. If we are going so far as to make up zombies, then why is it such a greater stretch to add in two other elements of fantasy?

Part fo the goal in the initial stages, in fact before we begin, is to create characters with depth. Real depth, not just some long backstory. Perhaps someone is slightly unhinged to begin with, or the zombie attacks have knocked a few wires loose. There's almost endless possibilities that one can come up with. IN fact, the depth which someone must create for a vampire or lycan character must be even greater. Needless to say, if you want to be any sort of special character, you really need to sell the idea to impress us. We are not going to let this become some cliche story.

As for your last comment, BL and I talked a little about that and I never said anything against it. I don't mind the idea, since mutations can always occur, and I invite comments on that sort of thing.

And here I find myself torn between the realistic Zombiepocalypse as compared to the version with vampires and lycans simply because of the views I've read. I really would like to make this as realistic as possible, but the idea of having a few vampires or werewolves roaming brings a bit of a twist to the scenario of there being a genome experimentation. Honestly, Midnight, the subject had come up and I admit that I do like the idea of there being experimental hybrids. That's the basic theme of Sci-Fi in my mind.

Hell, even Goatse wanted to play a sentient zombie character which, to me, doesn't really fall into a proper zombie venue, but I'm not denying him the possibility. Of course, when you think back to Bub in Day of the Dead, he was sort of sentient. Though he was 'taught' to be a civil zombie. OH, and the movie Fido had a 'tame' zombie...not so much though. X]

I suppose I can make a poll to help make a popular decision between the two scenarios?​

I liked the idea that we had all developed and worked on together, and I am sticking with that verdict.
I am all for a realistic zombie scenerio, if you shoot for this one, chances are I will attempt to make one myself in the future anyway. Frankly, I don't like vampires or lycans, they are cliche in general.

Genetic experimentation would be the easiest path to putting unnatural things, such as monsters, into the rp, say the zombies unknowingly pulled a few wires at the lab where they were being studied, releasing a few unpleasant beasties on the world and the human players. I specialize in such characters.

Creating character backgrounds is a breeze...

Another question I mean to ask, do the gms have full power over who dies and when?

The way things are looking, we might have to part our threads. I'm all for collaborating, but I have several people already that like the way I have developed things and I don't want to leave them in the cold. Also, the way you say it Midnight, there's no way of having a happy medium, which in my opinion is a pigheaded comment. I will do what it takes to make things mesh for the majority, and I know there is issues when trying to bring two threads together, but I'm trying to make concessions here. I never decided yes or no on multiple zombie types, as I thought it to be a bad idea early on. Mutations wouldn't occur until perhaps weeks or months in the process. Granted science can play a role in that but I had not intended my thread to go in that direction, but if it did it wouldn't be until after the experimented zombies had found their way out of holding and into the world, where their characteristics can spread. If your intention was to not play unless it was the original thread, as you have been making your point seem, you should have said that originally.

Also, vampires and lycans are cliche but zombies are not? Please. If you are going to make a statement like that, admit that the entire basis for either thread is cliche, since it's true.

I did not plan on putting monsters into the thread, as I stated that things as such were not to be tolerated. I make a distinction between vampires/lycans and monsters, fyi. The reason for the latter is like BL mentioned: to add a twist. Like I said it's not that big of a stretch if you already have zombies, and it creates a new type of situation. PCs won't be fighting PCs unless they choose to do so. So what if a character is stronger than another? Is that what really matters here? No. This isn't your typical Zombie Apoc thread, as I stated. This is a thread where we are creating our own world and we are each playing our own hand as God, to an extent. This is supposed to be interesting and promote character interaction with the ever-present threat of being eaten by zombie hordes. That's all.

As for goatse, he mentioned that and I had told him before that I wasn't too sure as it seems a bit sketchy and possibly not too realistic. Though, if he can play it off real good I'm open to the possibility, with the right implementation (ie perhaps he mutated the virus to work with him or something, like Alice from the RE movie; etc).

Also, GMs only have power over living and dieing when we feel like exercising the power. If you had read the PM that BL copied into this thread, I stated that players can RP their characters, and NPCs, dieing if they so wish. People will die, if there's not enough of it we'll force it to happen. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom