Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Things That Annoy You in Anime/Manga ...

probably one of my biggest pet peeves about anime / manga is the art styles, occasionally. i know this is probably a stupid, and redundant, issue to have with something that's drawn, and clearly fiction, but i physically can't stand to watch shows that're drawn like one piece. the proportions for the body's are absolutely ridiculous - gigantic heads and arms for little bodies, or just the way that the body parts are shaped. i don't care if there's magical fruit that gives abilities to its eater - WHY IS YOUR HEAD A GODDAMN DRILL D:

like i said, it was a rather redundant argument considering the plot of the anime - i mean, their phones are snails for fuck sakes, so i can't really expect too much - but when i watch something, drawn or otherwise, i'd at least like the anatomy to seem at least a little believable. and every goddamn girl in that show has like, huge tits. watermelons. i don't get it.

Not a fan of One Piece myself, and I also find the art style stupid as fuck. Speaking of which, horribly impractical fighting styles that are somehow super powerful. Why does the one dude fight with a sword in his mouth, and how is that at all helpful?

Also, why is it that anime has a thing where the most powerful form or character tends to shed all of their muscle and instead have a sleek body?

Little girl characters that wield big-ass hammers that they could never possibly lift.

Weak male protagonists that rely on girls for everything. Granted this is mostly the 'Magical girlfriend' or 'Harem anime' troupe, but it is annoying. It is always that one chaste naive guy or pervert but inept guy. Give the male lead a skill or something that is kind of useful. Fuck.

Mitsu said:
Not a fan of One Piece myself, and I also find the art style stupid as fuck. Speaking of which, horribly impractical fighting styles that are somehow super powerful. Why does the one dude fight with a sword in his mouth, and how is that at all helpful?

Also, why is it that anime has a thing where the most powerful form or character tends to shed all of their muscle and instead have a sleek body?

Little girl characters that wield big-ass hammers that they could never possibly lift.

I second that opinion. I could never get used to that... lol

Oddly I dont mind the whole weapons and users that wouldn't be possible irl or even gravity defying hair or breasts. The things I dont like;

Assuming you've already read the manga or short stories
For me I do prefer watching anime than reading the manga since I find things easier to follow, though in some cases even the manga isn't avaliable or exlusive only to japan. Then they dub the anime, you watch it and you have to keep rewinding, adding subtitles and researching to get a grasp on whats taking place.

Voice actor changes
Granted there are circumstances when this can't be helped. But when a character has a set voice and is then given someone who bears no resemblance to the original voice is a bit too much of a shock.

Unfinished Stories
OMG! That anime was amazing! The ending was a real cliffhanger! I wonder whatll happen next seri- ANNNNDDDDDDDDDDD ITS CANCELLED X.X. It sorta leaves you feeling flat and dissappointed in what couldda been an incredible series that had a good story built up an will go untold. I'm still holding out for a 2nd season of Claymore or even a reboot now the Manga has finished!

When I'm watching a really good anime and it finishes so I decide to go to the manga only to find out he has been on hiatus for 10 years

Definitely fanservice. I don't mind seeing tits or nice muscly guys (I actually love it a lot, hence the term fanservice), but seeing jiggly boobs pop up on every girl in an action series just makes it feel like the animators had no faith in their product and are resorting to cheap tricks in order to keep viewers watching.

Also lolicon. Wanting to diddle kids is never ok even if they are only 2d kids.

Mitsu said:

[size=-2]Roranora Zoro, the swordsman and first mate of the Straw Hat pirates. He uses three swords to fight. A made up sword fighting style known as Santoryu, which means three swords style. He also has two other styles that are real sword fighting styles, based on Japanese sword fighting styles of the same name, they are known as Ittoryu(one sword style, fighting with one sword) and Nitoryu(Two swords style, fighting with two swords.) I am not a fan of the clumsy, weak or empty headed female with unrealistically large breasts and then there is your super smart male, who can leap over tall buildings and decimates his opponents with a single punch, etc..[/size]

There are so many things that annoy me in anime....

The nagging, infuriating girl trope.
Those faces they make. Also unrealistic proportions.
Those ridiculous fighting moves.
Sometimes they really have terrible voices.

Terrible main characters. I can't tell you how many otherwise decent anime are ruined by main characters that are shallow, one-dimensional and stupid.
Sword Art Online comes to mind.

characters that automatically switch personalities half way through the rp for no good reason
females who believe they are top shit but can't do anything

Just 3 words: Action-Hogging Openings... :mad:

I know you want to start up with your best foot forward, but it gets annoying when so many Openings are so much larger than live (Or animation I guess), when then in reality the series has mediocre action at best, seems like false advertising to me

Entire filler arcs vs say a few episodes. Although I comprehend many times its to give a Manga time to catch up... it can get quite extreme. Naruto Shinobi war at the end........ took forever. Made me glad read it first and went nope.... way too long.

When there's a large cast of characters, but they each possess a single personality quirk taken to extremes. This person likes donuts so now literally everything they do is in service of liking donuts. I found it really disappointing in the last couple Fire Emblem games, and I'm certain I've seen it in several anime whose names I can't remember.

Love and Friendship saves the day: Honestly, I find this as the most bullshit way to deal with an enemy, who might be overpowered for the heroes to stop. If this cliche is not overused as much, then I would find this appealing, but if used so many times; it gets rather annoying.

My biggest pet peeve I've seen repeated throughout the years is specifically aimed at female characters known to be unnecessarily violent towards other main characters... These certain female roles have a tendency of being overall pretty useless too, they don't really contribute to the story. From my perspective it's borderline straight up abusive behavior, and to make matters worse they somehow still act all "high and mighty" and "caring". These characters' flaws are typically completely forgotten and instead they're put on a fucking pedestal. Fans and other characters in the series making them out to be far better then they actually are. Just... really annoys me. It's such a crying shame, female characters in general often don't get the same depth as males. Of course this is just my opinion, and there's still plenty of redeeming, wonderfully written female characters to try to make up for this shitty mess.

I am not fond of the latest trend to turn anime into CGI animation, like RWBY or Ronja. I tried to watch several shows recently and got excited about plots that would actually interest me, only to start it up and everyone moves in that stiff polygon way, and they're not animated but just doll expressions on 3-D models. It's very ugly. I remember when there used to be a fun artistic simplicity to movements in anime when it was drawn and a silly, endearing quality to the outlandish expressions. This new dependence on CGI reminds me of that nightmare fuel cosplay where someone tried to dress up like a "real" anime character and they ended up putting on a motionless mask of an anime character, instead of just using a wig and their real face. (link)

I am also really tired of the way everyone in anime is in school. As a man in his thirties, even if the plot goes off rails and totally fantastical and supernatural, I find it hard to connect with the constant insertion of school-themed problems to return to normalcy in a plot.

1. Only the main character and the rival are capable of defeating enemies with exceptional power and importance to the story. Side characters you like just diminish in power and lose relevancy despite their strong introductions and memorable contributions to the series. i.e. Piccolo is a glorified babysitter compared to being the first antagonist and rival to Goku. His purpose is to teach fusion now.
  2. Villains with rock-solid reasons to be who they are are suddenly talked out of their goals because the protagonist doesn't want them to be evil anymore. Not only that, but the plan to convince them that they can fix everything they hate is garbage. Dangerous villain is neutered so the hero can succeed. i.e. Naruto talking down Nagato and Konan from finishing off the Leaf Village after admitting to them he has no answer to create peace, "but he'll find it". Nagato then resurrects everyone he kills. Because.
  3. Rival characters no longer defeating enemies of value, yet are still paraded around as equals to the protagonist who always defeats the villains. i.e. Vegeta went from being Goku's equal to playing catch-up for the rest of his written life.

I'm watching Re:Zero, and while I still like the show, my god, there's been so. Many. Flashbacks. Season 2 has basically been about 50%(?) exposition so far. >.>
I'm also a bit iffy with the character designs in the show. All the women look super cutesy without exception. It weirds me out and I don't know why it's necessary? Like, I get having cutesy female characters, but all of them?

Gary-Kirito-Stus.

BS Plot Armor. (Like Author/Creator pulling s*** out of their a** to make the anime/manga/whatever progress. *Cough* SAO. *Cough*)

Whiny Protagonists.

P***y Protagonists.

Clueless Protagonists.

Heaven forbid it is normally all three wrapped up in one in most animes.

Harems that just seem for the sake of the harem with all the girls screaming and chasing whatever main for no real reason other than to chase them. (Da f***?)

Discontinued things. Some of which couldn't be helped, the sadder ones being the author/creator to them died before finishing a project. Others usually being more of fallout of the license for whatever reasons; creator stopping, studio no longer wanting to do it, etc, etc.

Altered from original source heavily. Such as Animes that came from LN or Mangas originally. Full Metal Alchemist is prime example to this; good thing we got Brotherhood that kept true to Manga. Also Familiar of Zero is another example, it falls away from the source material of LN. LN and anime are drastically different in story events way.

Pedo references in anime/manga/etc. Should go without saying, but things involving MC with someone younger then them is an instant red flag. This being suggestive material, sexual harassments, etc, etc is a quick way for me to ditch it. Also anything else that sexualizes younger characters for whatever reasons in their works.

Recycled plots, stories where you can look at it and feel like you already seen this before. Oh, maybe you have, it came from a work much earlier than it, just the new creators of their different version throwing a little something else in mix. (Very few animes/mangas/etc can stand on their own two feet to make them different from others in their genres and some go above and beyond to establish a first before anything in that given genre. Hard facts.)

Phew, let's see...

When the rival/antagonist does nothing but insult and generally make the protagonist's life miserable, yet the protagonist still tries to save them because they used to be friends cough Naruto cough

Effeminate, long haired baddies with noble clothes and elegant swords. Not naming any names because they're all the same. Yeah, I don't care if your sister died, not only are you still a shit person, you're not even a fun shit person.

Pretty much anything that tries to copy Berserk. Not saying taking inspiration from berserk is a bad thing, I just hate things that try to copy it outright. SAO, most edgy seinen. Berserk is great because there's nothing really like it, which is why I like it.

Series with a great supporting cast but a hero that's boring as hell and always sidelines the ensemble. Could honestly be a lot of shounen series.

I always hate when an anime doesn't get a proper ending or conclusion. You know, the world could be ending or the villain shot the hero but we don't know if the hero survived.

Back
Top Bottom