Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Things That Annoy You in Anime/Manga ...

The 'exactly as planned' type of villain. You, the kind who somehow managed to plan out every last fucking minute detail, who's always like three steps ahead of everyone else just because. Having an infallible hero is boring, sure, but an infallible villain is even worse because you just stop caring about the plot. Like, you'll wonder why you're even watching because clearly the heroes are never going to pull ahead.

MellowYellow said:
The 'exactly as planned' type of villain. You, the kind who somehow managed to plan out every last fucking minute detail, who's always like three steps ahead of everyone else just because. Having an infallible hero is boring, sure, but an infallible villain is even worse because you just stop caring about the plot. Like, you'll wonder why you're even watching because clearly the heroes are never going to pull ahead.

I like that type of villian to a point. I prefer the intellectual villian with cunning over mere brute force. Brute force route means that the need to merely make some strong.

See DBZ.

#Over9000, #12EpisodeMonologues

A prime example of what annoys me with anime would be Dragonball Z

You will have 9 episodes where one characters yells "You are weak compared to me!" and then the other character yells back "No! I Am stronger than YOU!"

Followed by one episode that has maybie 30 seconds of fighting in it, in which nothing is accomplished. Then the cycle repeats =P

I watch it anyway, I love this show. Bwahahaha

Dude when voice actors say a characters's name too many times when expressing surprise or emotional movement. Like

Dude picks up a special object that fell. Other character - "...Taka...!" IT HAPPENS TOO MUCH.

Also when there is a tense or shocked silence, those little NNG or HN grunt noises. Like. Fucking.

I absolutely hate about 90% of shounen anime, no thanks to Naruto and Bleach—both of which I used to be obsessed with, until they just started dragging on, and on, and on, and on.... And then I was just like, "Why do I care anymore?" Not to mention the fact that they both have a million movies that are literally just bullshit filler where nothing happens except a bunch of fight scenes that are honestly just shitty retakes of their previous fight scenes. And how do you seriously misjudge a villain every time you fight to the point where you just use your shitty attacks first and then waste all your stamina? If you have seriously epic moves, who cares about overkill? Just get this shit done already. Because by the time they're done with their crappy Kage no Bunshin or waving their glorified kitchen knife around... well now they're out of stamina and they have to push themselves into that final scene with the new attack they magically just discovered, usually with huge damage dealt physically on both sides. Then you get to see your hero all dirty, bloody, half-dead, bandaged up, in the hospital, etc. and you're supposed to share in their glory or sympathize with their pain or...? How about no. You did this to yourself, dumbass. I don't care about your pain. Sorry, not sorry.

Having said this, Shingeki no Kyojin is a masterpiece. I refuse to watch the dub though, and I'm sure we all know why.

So yes, I generally only watch shoujo anime; I do kind of thrive on pointless drama and romantic comedy, but there's a point when I really just can't stand to look anymore. This ranges from harems to pointless repeated episodes to recycled plots and characters to just... all the females. I know that last one sounds sexist, but it's the truth. Shounen or shoujo, about 99% of female characters just should not exist for one reason or another.

In the case of harem anime, and I know it's been said, there are friggin clones in every one. The dorky male lead, then the billion women who are either extremely stupid, large- or flat-chested, loud, mouthy, painfully shy, prepubescent, and it goes on and on; and all of them love the main character for no effing reason, whatsoever. For some reason, even though it's technically a reverse harem, Ouran Highschool Host Club was amazing and balanced, and I didn't even hate Haruhi that much. There there's The Wallflower. Where do I begin? Hilarious scenes crammed into a stereotypical plot where a girl ends up living with a bunch of sexy guys—I'd like to point out that I enjoyed this one for the huge dynamic between Sunako's looks and personality compared to other anime of this type. Sunako is honestly ugly and very socially... er... awkward and stays that way through the whole series (they say that the boys were able to make her beautiful, but that's just bullshit; they barely made a dent). She barely opens up to the boys she lives with and outwardly hates her love interest for a good reason.... Until it gets to the end and they magically fall in love because...? Because why? They had a few touching scenes scattered randomly throughout the series but that was it. She only ended up with Kyohei because he was the last one left that wasn't gay or honestly in love with someone else. Next on my list is friggin Love Hina! Why is there an exclamation mark? There's nothing to make this series exciting to watch, and that includes all the random... comedy...? I think that's what it's supposed to be. I hated everything about this anime and I'm pretty sure I just watched it because I like to stress myself out. First of all, why did Keitaro end up with Naru? There's no such thing as someone who is stupid and masochistic enough to stay in a relationship where they get beat the fuck up with no reason whatsoever. Naru is probably the reason why I started to hate female characters to begin with because I noticed that a lot of them share a lot of things in common with her.

Example. When Ayase from Guilty Crown walks into Shuu's room while he's naked IN HIS OWN ROOM, screams, and slaps him. Give me a Goddamned break. First of all, they're usually a bunch of sluts with wet panties for a guy that doesn't (or in some cases, Keitaro; shouldn't) even like them, continuously lust after them even though it's clear that nothing's going to happen, then feign innocence when it's already clear that they've only got one thing on the brain. Disgusting. That's insanely degrading to women; generally because it's usually the one desirable female that's ready to rip her clothes off at the slightest hint of the prospect of getting laid. Even Asuna in SAO, and that's saying a lot because I actually like her. That is literally conditioning watchers into believing that that kind of behaviour is desirable, and that pisses me off. Why does everything have to be sex-central? Why can't there be an actual solid relationship before the girl starts initiating sex? Alternately, why can't the guy man up for once and take actual initiative?
Then there's those fucking shy girls. You know, the ones with the usually blunt-bang haircut which I already hate, but then you have to put it on a girl who can't function in normal society because every time she sees her crush, her lizard defence mechanism kicks in and she freezes. What the Hell. Just stop. Worst than that are those tsundere bitches who warm up over time, because yeah a woman who thinks you're a dumbass sack of shit is going to magically forget your forthcomings. Uhh... how about a big nope on that one. Anyone who's ever had a girlfriend, no matter their race, ethnicity, land of origin, can pretend that they don't know better. A bitchy girl who isn't into you never will be. Tsundere women can bite me. Uh... women in any position of power whatsoever with that bitchy attitude toward just everything too, and then they claim they have to be strong because everyone expects it. Sure, but being strong doesn't mean beating up the whole male cast or barking orders all the time. Exception to this, Malissa in FullMetal Panic! She manages to be in charge but also feminine and sisterly; I love that.

Another thing that pisses me off about anime is Kaji Yuki. I love his voice. I want to melt it down and make cake with it. Just... why. Why does he have to play the same character in every anime he's in, whether or not it's a lead role. Eren Jaeger, Kirito and Shuu Ouma for example. I love SnK. SAO and Guilty Crown, to almost no end... except for their fucking lead characters that do nothing useful ever. Kirito was honestly just an over-powered piece of junk; you never even see him doing anything to level up and he magically gets stronger, gets new equipment, and so one. I understand that they had to make it take place over a period of two years or something like that but seriously. Then after his little thing in the second episode where they've spent the last hour of your life convincing you that he might be a different type of hero (seeing as he comes off rather flaky, super nerdy, reclusive, a bit shy, kind, generous, etc. instead of just a walking muscle with no brain) then he decides to become that asshole by announcing in front of a huge group that he was the only one to make it to the tenth level in the SAO beta test (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I know it played out something like that), just to spend the rest of the series trying to make up for that scene by attracting a shitload of women despite not being strikingly attractive and having almost no personality to speak of other than that of a dickish loner-type solo player who magically gets the most untouchable woman just because. Their romance made no sense, seriously.
Comparatively, Eren Jaeger is a bit cooler, but I would have liked him a lot more if that little stunt with the 3DMG didn't turn out to be, "Oh, he had faulty equipment so he's actually better than everyone else." That and the scene where little children Eren and Mikasa butcher the people who killed her family. Seriously? He is one fucked up kid, and then he grows up feigning some kind of innocence while also spouting off rants directed at adults that make a ton of sense and in which he's actually right. I don't care if it needed to be said, Eren's mother did a horrible job raising him if that's how he speaks to adults. Plus the whole murdering those three guys.... Yeah, I'm not sure Eren's completely stable, and he never was either.
Lastly, Shuu Ouma who was a flake to begin with, carrying around some social problems that he never really had fixed—instead it was just covered up by pairing him with a chick that actually didn't experience emotion and yet somehow still grew to love him. I dunno about him. I really feel that he was useless throughout the series, including the time in the second season where he basically threw a temper tantrum and started ostracising all his friends who... TADA! They accept him back at the last minute so he can save the fucking world. Jolly good show. Or it would have been without Shuu.

I'll just stop there, because if I don't, this will cover the entire page because I could literally write a novel with all the stereotypical things that occur in anime that I can't stand (a TV show or movie, all-inclusive here, has about 10 seconds to impress me before I get all nit-picky and angry). Honestly, I say that if you're just going to bitch about anime then don't watch it, but it's kind of like cocaine... because once you get addicted... well, you just can't stop and that's all there is to it....

The thing that pisses me off about anime is when the a series returns with a second season when it's not really needed, and it's a huge disappointment when compared to the first season. I thought about this when I recently finished the second season of Psycho-Pass, and good god that was stupid. I'll go ahead and put this out there, the returning characters in Psycho-Pass were fine, they were done perfectly. However, those returning characters you loved from the first season are all pushed aside to the sidelines so that you can meet these shitty new characters, except for Akane, since she's the main character of the series. There was one new character that I thought was okay, but that was mainly because we didn't get to see much of him either, we just know he's socially awkward and that he's the only useful new characters, the others are total shit. All the villains sucked, the new partner sucked, the way they used the Sybl System as a cop-out, it all just pissed me off. I don't recommend this series, and just to prove it, I'll tell you some of the dumb things that they did with this series, so SPOILER ALERT.
Togane is so evil, they decide to show it by showing his literally killing puppies. Kamui is a Frankenstein monster made up of dead kids, and he still managed to grow up considering he was put together from dead tissue (there's future science, and then there's fucking sorcery). And Mika (that girl from the academy in the first season returns as the piece of shit partner) learns the truth of what is going on, finds out a ton of secret information, and instead of deciding to use it to help solve the case, she decides to use this information to somehow get Akane fired.

And it seems to be the case with original animations (anime that isn't an adaptation of something). Apparently the second season of Darker than Black was also a complete letdown, it sucks since I really liked the first season. Luckily I heard that the recent Psycho-Pass movie has the original crew that worked on the first season, so hopefully it'll be good, but fuck the second season.

Great series with bad endings. Specially with endings that make no freaking sense at all and just throw character development out the window.

Oh, also those series that forget to even explain some of the lore and just leave you with the whole "it's the word of God, so accept it." :mad:

Battle Bunny Riven summed it up for me. Especially with the reference to women being annoying and men with perverted in a series. Such as, Misa in Death Note and a few characters in InuYasha.

I will also contribute that it also annoys me when shows portray women as sexual objects and men that are only controlled by their ****.

While it's not something I watch very much, I occasionally enjoy some harem anime here and there. It's something like a guilty pleasure. What bugs me though is when a lot of them seem the same. It's like a lot of these series follow a template, only changing a few things here and there.

1. The series takes place in a special kind of high school/academy.
2. The male protagonist has a special ability or skill that few or nobody else has.
3. The main heroine is a tsundere loli, with the rest of the female cast being voluptuous girls that make her insecure.
4. Tons of pointless ecchi scenes, often involving accidents where the protagonist isn't at fault, yet he still gets punished.
5. At least half of the female cast hates him at the beginning, only to fall for him after he does something to prove himself.

I know not all of them follow these rules, but a lot of them seem to use a few of these here and there (instead of a loli, the main girl is a childhood friend). And I still watch some of these. Some of these are pretty funny, while others are just painful to watch, making me feel like I'm watching the same exact show I watched last season.

I hate terrible voice actors, and bad dubs, but mostly I hate generic characters.
I despise generic characters, especially that too cute girly girl type >.>

Nose bleed erections. I mean I get it, it's a 'subtle' say to show that a character is turned on without having to show the lump in his pants, but come on, nothing spoils a sexy moment like a huge spray of blood!

Unfortunately there's just an over abundance of anime which I think has lowered the quality of the medium. I'm not saying that anime from the 90's and older are perfect. I just think that they really laid the foundation of what made it popular while newer ones kind of just copy the formula.

I don't watch a lot of anime, but really enjoy the ones I do like to watch.

My biggest problem with getting into most animes is just how ridiculously asinine some plots are, if they even seem to show any plot from the first few episodes. Perhaps it could be that some animes just have horrible intros too. Bland characters or characters that are hard to relate to on any level can be a major problem, or characters that don't mesh with their plots. I think too many try to go way too over the top.

Ridiculously large weapons, especially when wielded by smaller people. I don't care if the sword is a bit oversized for the character, but if it's twice the size of the character that's annoying.

Same goes for ridiculously over the top hair. I don't mind some things that are impossible to do with hair, but if you seem to have a palace of hair on your head, that's too much for me.

Long lead ups to short fights is always a bummer. I really enjoy the fights, so I don't care if it takes an episode or more. But I hate when there's a big story arc and they kill the opponent in a minute or two.

Things being left out of the story. It seems like quite a few animes have a tendency to skip ahead for no discernible reason, like somethings missing from the adventure. (This is just a complaint about any type of movie period).

Also Mitsu... It's very hard to think and type while looking at that signature :p

Instead of reposting complaints of mine people already listed, I'll post something new. If the anime has a school in the setting, the protagonist ALWAYS sits somewhere towards the back and next to a window! Even if it has nothing to do with the plot. Why is this? Is it some Japanese troupe I don't know? It seems every time the protagonist has a window seat in the classroom.

Zeth said:
Instead of reposting complaints of mine people already listed, I'll post something new. If the anime has a school in the setting, the protagonist ALWAYS sits somewhere towards the back and next to a window! Even if it has nothing to do with the plot. Why is this? Is it some Japanese troupe I don't know? It seems every time the protagonist has a window seat in the classroom.
Holy shit, you're totally right.

It's gotta be so they can stare out the window while the teacher's voice fades out and an expository voice fades in (usually the student's own).

I think Persona is an exception, though. Yu sat in the back, but it was by the door. Makoto sat dead center of the class.

Trygon said:
Zeth said:
Holy shit, you're totally right.

It's gotta be so they can stare out the window while the teacher's voice fades out and an expository voice fades in (usually the student's own).

I think Persona is an exception, though. Yu sat in the back, but it was by the door. Makoto sat dead center of the class.
They did this in the first season of "It's not my fault I'm not popular", but in the second season she got moved to the middle of the class, if that counts.

Loud, annoying characters.

Final battles that should be epic but in reality are not.

Antagonists beaten too easy.

Every smart person is a genius, and every genius is unfathomable. Japan is the best in everything, especially martial arts. Teenagers and young girls are always capable of overwhelming trained, experienced adults in any fight.

The frequency in which characters slip/ fall while walking on the stairs.

The frequency in which characters drop stacks of papers or boxes full of things, usually in a school setting.

How the people in manga are always falling on top of each other for no actual reason.

Anime crazy face. Just type it into google, and you'll see what I mean. It's probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in anime. I'm also not a fan of cool guy, crazy, dark, smirks-- think every single shot of Alucard's face from Hellsing. Edgy bullshit just isn't cool to me.

How most anime reuse the same exaggerated archetypes over and over. These types of characters never feel larger than life. They just feel like the interpretations of normal people through the lens of some lonely nerd with zero social skills, and few actual interactions with people. It's like they read manga, watch anime, and then just use those stories as a bible for how human beings operate. It shouldn't be refreshing when I see characters that act like actual human beings.

Entire discussions during the heat of battle. Maybe all of these anime characters are just that badass, that they can talk while simultaneously concentrating on not getting killed. Personally, I can hardly hold a conversation while playing a simple video game. Perhaps I'm just dumb. Maybe I'm even more dumb, because my favorite anime is FULL of it.

Every character with glasses is super intelligent. Sure this crosses over to other cultural media, but it's so pronounced in anime.

Hack writers that follow the Dragon Ball Z formula of introducing constant new levels of power. Can't figure out a way to make a captivating story-line? Can't think of a way to create actual stakes in your story? Just create an even more powerful, even more cunning villain. Then you can have your main character exceed their own limits for the fifth time with ultra-drama. Akira Toriyama has blatantly stated that he rarely put any thought into the story-lines, and was only interested in created bigger and more explosive battles. Not exactly a style to emulate.

Tsundere characters: the Anime Queen Bitch. Absolutely annoying and typically useless characters, who take it upon themselves to beat the shit out of anyone that shows them affection. In reality NOBODY would put up with some girl who tried to fucking punch or slap you whenever you so much as smile at them, or make a joke at their expense. You'd also call her a psycho bitch if one second she secretly and obviously coveted you, and the next she was calling you disgusting and hurling objects at your head. Assault and battery isn't cool.

I also hate that about anime. How straight characters get hit by the girl constantly. That never happens in Gay or lesbian relationships in anime, only straight ones and usually if it is the protagonist. I think if I became an anime character, I'd just be gay to avoid all the violence.

Back
Top Bottom