Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Things That Annoy You in Anime/Manga ...

LadyYunaFFX2

Pulsar
Credit goes to Mitsu for coming up with a similar thread in the "Gamer's Haven" subforum. So as the thread suggests, feel free to list what annoys you. I'll do separate lists probably, since there are some major differences that are noticed in anime versus manga. There are likely more but these are my major ones, in no order save what came to my mind.

Anime No-Nos:
× Bad Voice Acting: Need I say more on this? It applies to both sub and dub; however, I tend to have more issues with the latter.
× Bad/No Music: As a musically-inclined person, this actually does bother me. One of the few exceptions where I don't mind the lack of an intro or ending theme is Rurouni Kenshin. Why? Because the music they play during the battles more than makes up for it.
× Fillers: This one is a major coin toss. If done right, they can be informative arcs that not only teach but amuse the viewers. But sometimes, they really do seem to be excuses to fill in space and get away from the real storyline. So this one's an iffy topic that I can overlook if executed well enough.

Manga No-Nos:
× When the Author Rushes the Manga: So what do I mean by this? When the author feels so pressured to finish the manga off that everything he writes seems more disorganized/boring/whatnot than usual. I'm looking at you, Kishimoto. Especially as of lately.
× When the Author Tries to Write Things That Aren't Their Fortes: To each their own, I know. But, again with using Kishimoto as an example, he's admitted in some interviews me and Veinexes have found he's not good with romance. That's fine, I understand this. But then if that's the case, why the fuck are you trying to write them? Fan service or pressure to do so just isn't a good enough reason after a while. Why? Because now people are expecting things to happen and when they don't, that's really kinda irritating. So .. if you're good with fight scenes only, go for them. But don't add elements that are too awkward for you.

Anime & Manga No-Nos:
× When Characters Try to Fuck Up/Ruin Relationships In The Works: This was by far what pissed me off the most about "Onegai Sensei", the side characters doing any and everything to separate Kei and Mizuho. The hell?! Fuck off, all of you! I won't go into details to prevent spoilers but ... ugh! Rest assured, I hated almost all of the side characters in that series because of the steps they went to just to make Kei go with another girl. Fuck sakes.
× When Young Children Are Forced to Have the Role of 'Saving the World': Maybe this is because I'm a mom so my parent instincts kick in. But .. this bothers me to no ends. This was my biggest qualm with "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha", in fact. I don't care that they made a 9 or 10 year the main protagonist, really. Odd perhaps but not the worst. But to add on the pressure of her having to deal with the main antagonistic forces? Goddamnit, that really annoys me. Children shouldn't have to be forced to give up their childhood just because an author/director says so. If the characters are over at least 13 if not older, I can deal with this. But a preteen or younger? No. It's where I put my foot down.
× Boring/Overused Plots: If I can predict what's about to happen next ... yeah. That's not a good sign. Or, worse than that, if I genuinely wanna stop watching/reading because of lack of interest. Need I say more on this topic?
× Unnecessary Deaths: The keyword here is 'unnecessary'. If they happen for reasons (plot especially), okay. I can accept that. But when you do it just because you can and it's not properly done? No ... just no.
× Making Scenes Far too Long: Especially fight ones. After a while, I find myself going from hyped to watching the action to wanting to see what's next.
× Making (Female) Characters Fall Under Too Many Negative Stereotypes: I put female in parentheses because I do include males under this also. However, my feminist side tends to make me more annoyed when I see women like this as opposed to men. But this definitely applies to both. Perhaps the worst stereotype I see taken too literally are the 'dumb blondes'. Maybe when they're still at a naive age like 13 or so? Acceptable. But when they're older, usually over 15-16? Come the hell on. Why are you purposely making people that stupid? After a while, it stops becoming 'cute' and turns to 'incredibly annoying'.

*cracks knuckles* Oh, here we go... I've only got one thing that really bothers me when it comes to my Manga/Anime, but that one thing has about a hundred sub-categories. Ranging from the basics of character design to the more intricate matters of the over-arching plot of the anime's story, all anime and manga share the same short-comings; the fucking cliches. Let's talk about some of the biggest offenders and my personal pet peeves...​

Female Characters Who Are Fundamentally Useless, Always Nagging, And Who Just Seem To Be There To Piss You Off Throughout The Entire Series -- That was a mouthful, I know, but this is among the most annoying things in the anime universe. It can be found all over the place in Anime, but it seems to be the most prevelent in Shonen series manga/anime. Examples ofthis cliche would include Sakura from Naruto, Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh, Asuka from Neon Genesis Evengalion, Sakura From Naruto, Orihime from Bleach, Videl from Dragon Ball Z, Misty from Pokemon, Naru from Love Hina, and fucking Sakura from Naruto. No, not all of these characters are completely useless, but it seems that the vast majority of the time, they are only there to get in the way. Also please note that my hatred for Sakura stops with the end of the basic Naruto. She becomes a valuable character in Shippuden and a bad-ass action girl.

Filler Hotspring/Beach Episodes/Chapters -- Every anime has that one episode where the characters go to the beach or the hot springs. Nothing important ever happens there, either. The artists just want to display their skills at drawing tits and ass. It's especially saddening watching a character that you love and hold dear being turned into nothing more than meat for the men to oggle.

Ero Fan-Service -- Don't get me wrong, I love a nice pair of tits, but there are times where I feel that the artists are letting them get in the way of the story. High School of the Dead comes to mind here, as does Rosario Vampire. I love both of these series', but I'm not above admitting their flaws and shortcomings. Put them away, ladies. They won't win a fight for you.

Plot Armor & Deus Ex Machina Power-Ups -- Oh hey; the main character has gotten themselves into a fight that they can not possibly ever hope to win. There is no way out, death is assured. Our hero is injured beyond hope and the villain has not broken a sweat. I guess this is the end of the story. Nope! We can't let the show end with the main character dying. So the hero gets a sudden surge of power from NOWHERE and straight up deletes the villain from the manga/Anime. The Shonen anime THRIVE on this shit.

Perverted Old Men -- Don't get me wrong, I love Master Roshi, Kensei from Kenichi, and Jiraiya still ranks among my top five favorite characters from Naruto. Considering how much I love that anime/manga, that does actually hold a lot of weight; even if he's dead. I actually cried when that happened. Anyway; can we cut the old men some slack sometimes. Can't they just be bad-asses without the touchy-feely paws?

Unnecessary Monologues -- You know these moments... Shonen series' are once again the biggest offenders, but these moments can be found all across the Anime and Manga spectrum. There's a climactic battle going on and one of the characters does something insanely cool but then all of a sudden - BAM! The action stops and that character spends ten minutes detailing what they just did, as well as a bunch of unnecessary bullshit. Okay, we get it. I was watching, bro. Shut the fuck up and let me see the rest of the fight.

Reusing Shots -- You know what I mean here... When the anime pulls scenes from a previous episode and reuses them for a flashback. Yeah. That's just fucking lazy. I saw it once. We're good. Move on, please.
This could also apply to repeating scenes in episodes that really don't need to be repeated. I am looking at you, Sailor Moon. Do we need to show the girls transforming EVERY TIME!?

Inconsistent quality in art and animation. Anyone that has watched enough of Dragon Ball Z or Naruto knows what I'm talking about. Anytime I see a character off model, it drives me up a wall. It's bad enough they animate on like... eights (not really but damn anime is always done in like three or fours), but then they go and draw a character off model. I realize anime is often done with pretty much no budget, but it still bugs me to no end.

Anime/Manga that or just reskinned Dragon Ball. Lemme tell ya, Akira Toriyama managaed to revolutionize not just Shonens but seemingly anime in general, with artists moving from the old Hokuto No Ken style of everything looking incredibly jagged and manly, to a looser and more comedic style. But perhaps he's had a little too much influence. It seems that almost 90% of male protagonists you see are dimwits with insane amounts of power and insatiable appetites. Goku clones, basically.

Pointless morality switching: This isn't exclusive to anime of course, but when a hero/villain arbitrarily changes sides, either of their own volition or form some outside source, it's always exasperating and obnoxious.

Oh Dragon Ball Z and Naruto... Two of my favorite animes; Dragon Ball because I grew up with it and Naruto because it's just so badass. It's a shame that these two anime fall victim to just about EVERY bad trope and cliche out there.

Overuse of Archetypes and Tropes -- We've all seen at least one anime like this - the protagonist enters the room and within minutes, you can tag each and every other character in that room with at least one or two defining archetypes. These anime take the pages right out of the 'Making a Bad Anime Handbook'. You have the cold-as-steel and tough-as-nails tsundere that gives an interested look before turning her head away with a “hmf!” Then you have the sensei who is stuck in some kind of mid-life crisis regardless of the character's actual age. There's the emotionless girl who just stares blankly off into her own dead world, the shy girl who can't say so much as a whole sentence without choking up, the cool guy that gets all the girls... but he's not interested; the list could go on for quite some time. I get why they do it. They want to create familiar characters so that less introduction is needed and the story can move along, but at what cost? These characters feel two-dimensional and shallow.

Changing voice actors: It really annoys me when the voice actor changes in the middle of the show or if they rehash the show and they completely change the voice acting cast. Like Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Z Kai for NA. Some of the voices in Kai annoy the living shit out of me; like Freza, Android 18, Gohan, and Bulma. Freza's voice used to show how spoiled and childish he was, the new voice makes him sound proper and annoying. Andorid 18's voice was on the deep side and made her seem like a badass, now it's all girly and sweet.

I know Fillers was mentioned, but I have to elaborate on it a little bit.

Fillers: I hate unnecessary fillers that don't contribute to character development or to the plot of the story. Flashbacks are THE worst type of filler since all they accomplish is making you watch scenes from episodes you previously watched and they have the audacity to call it an episode. It's lazy if you ask me.

Really? I rather liked Frieza's new voice. It got his gender right for one thing, and made him seem infinitely more badass... Gohan's new voice on the other hand, that's a load of crap. So... I guess I kinda sorta get what you mean.

Escalating transformations: If a character develops a transformation in a show, then it should be some sweeping epic moment that never get's topped. But if a series goes on, then that transformation is probably going to lose relevance and a new one will come about. Any change a character had in the past just becomes irrelevant.

I agree with the unnecessary death thing. It's why I absolutly hate zombie flicks, monster flicks, slasher flicks. Where they show the villian/monster kill someone just to lengthen the movie. like this girl sititng on the edge of the beach. monster pops up and bites her head off in horrible CGI. it's not the what it's the who. She did nothing. Just a random NPC sitting alone at the edge of the beach. did the monster kill her cause it was hungry and it needed to eat? NO. it bit her head off cause it was there.
And I get that's part of the the type of movie but It sits very unwell with me.
I watched clips of the highschool of the dead and just seeing random people get eaten, I mean, i get it, zombie flick but. Maybe i'm straying from the point here.
I hate people who think you HAVE to kill someone to make a good story.
Dominic-Deegan Oracle for Hire proofed time and again characters could develop without their friends dieing. At the end people DID die. and it was sad. But throughout the story they proved that even the thought of losing someone dear can change a character.

Like YuYu Hakasho when kuabara had the big dude fake kill him to finally push Yuske over the edge. The shock of the site unlocked his power and pushed him oer the edge but in the end his friend survived. No harm done.

also voice acting changes. One Piece. Yes 4Kids royals messed it up but they had GOOD voice actors! They FIT. Then funimation took over and used the BLANDEST voice actors EVER. Then later they just used the DBZ cast which was just plain lazy in my opinion.

everyone hates fillers but I have seem some decent ones, Tenchi did a good job.
The main source of fillers, maybe, is when a show gets ahead of the manga and they want to wait for the manga to catch up. honestly they should either take a few months off and wait or do what FMA (1) did and make their own story. Then they made a second series to match the anime and both were good.

Clears throat

Because I use animeget.com for one and thus they aren't played.

Two, I don't appreciate how that was written out, at all. That was unnecessarily rude and disrespectful. Don't repeat that to me or anyone else again, especially in my thread.

LadyYunaFFX2 said:
× Bad/No Music: As a musically-inclined person, this actually does bother me. One of the few exceptions where I don't mind the lack of an intro or ending theme is Rurouni Kenshin. Why? Because the music they play during the battles more than makes up for it.

Okay, seriously, I have to ask....
What do you mean there is no theme music for the opening and closing of Rurouni Kenshin?! Heart of Sword (ending I think) Is one of the best damn closers for any anime ever. (not THE best but top 5 or 10 for damn sure.)
How have yo never heard it?

This has me honestly puzzled, have I misread this or something cause Rurouni Keshin has some amazing opening and closing theme music.

LadyYunaFFX2 said:
Clears throat

Because I use animeget.com for one and thus they aren't played.

Two, I don't appreciate how that was written out, at all. That was unnecessarily rude and disrespectful. Don't repeat that to me or anyone else again, especially in my thread.

Points up

Seriously though, that was kinda worded in an overly aggressive way and I didn't at all appreciate it. I mean it, don't repeat that again. Please.

*rolls up sleeves* You mess with Yunie, you mess with Riven!

In all seriousness, though, it's nice to see that someone else has seen Yu Yu Hakusho. That anime was, by a wide margin, my favorite anime of all time. It was just too good.​

An anime that wastes good ideas. Like, the one that comes immediately to mind is Tiger and Bunny. I mean it was a fine series and all, had it's cool moments and I liked most of the cast, but they really didn't capitalize on the setting. They had this big setting where they could talk about the ethics and morality of superheroes, of turning heroism into a business funded by product placement and sponsors, but aside from one character kinda being bugged by it nothing else really happens.

Come on Japan, I'm not expecting you to recreate Watchmen but seriously...

Whoa, sorry, wow. I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just a bit shocked. wow. I guess I'll just leave then. I know I can be a bit blunt and overly forward but wow. >_>

edit: for the record you said it had no music at all for opening and closing leaving out the fact that you use a website that doesn't show it. using it as a strike against the anime but then after I make my comment mention you use a site that doesn't show it. I might have been a bit brazen but you're making a comment against the anime when you know the site you're using clips it. Confusing.
Bye.

I'm a little confused........ I'm not sure what the issue is here???? @_@ I see a mini spat, but it seems to be over nothing. At least based on what I'm reading anyway. >.<

Anyway, in the future, if something comes off as upsetting, rather than bringing negativity into the threads and/or playing mod, let's either report the offending post by clicking the report button or by PMing a red or green named individual. We are staff and handle these things daily, plus who wants to see negative nonsense in a general forum thread that's supposed to be fun? Thanks! :)

Carry on, lovely peoples!!!

Yeah... I don't understand what the issue was either. Dude didn't post anything out of line.

Anyways...

When characters make that "shock or surprise" hiccup/inhale noise excessively in anime.

When a series that should've ended long ago drags on. Bleach is probably the perfect example for that. In my opinion, Bleach should've died long ago, and yet it still goes on for no actual reason. I kind of want to think of Bleach's crappy filler as a warning for the crap that's about to come in the manga. Aizen started out as a decent villain, but his plots dragged on and he ended up just turning into a troll by claiming he planned everything in the entire series, even the most mundane things. They introduce even more characters in their already oversized cast, leaving little room for development and you often end up forgetting about half of them. And the current arc *shakes head* they introduce Nazis. I know they aren't actual Nazis, but they way they are represented, you might as well call them fucking Nazis.

Okay, so I might have a few key bones to pick with anime. So, I'll just muck in.

I hate...

The idea that the world will be saved by a group of superpowered 14-16 year olds. Seriously. It's one of the reasons that I enjoyed Black lagoon so much. The people involved were actually adults. The concept of a teenager somehow being the very best person for the job, despite only usually having been training for a handful of years, as opposed to others around them that would have been doing things for decades...yeah, pisses me off.

Super accelerated training. THis also bugs me. You'll have a character trained in some kind of super martial art that is supposed ot take 20 years to learn, and the character magically pulls it off in 2-5. I know it's supposed to show how incredibly good they are, but it just cheapens what they're supposed to be learning when they get these skills with little to no real effort.

The 'so shocked I must fall over' moments. Maybe this is a Japan thing where it's hillarious, but to me, when someone says something very slightly surprising, and everyone in the background seems to suddenly fall over, this just looks insanely stupid to me.

Names. If it's an anime set in a Japan-esque world, then I rarely have an issue. It's when they branch out and don't actually bother to find real honest to Gods names for people that make sense. I look at Fullmetal Alchemist and see captain 'Buccaneer'. Not a nickname. His name. Really. As far as I'm concerned, Japan is totally not allowed to give the Western media realm shit for screwing up Japanese names.

Super Dramatic Speech. This just bugs me when it's supposed to be some kind of plot relevant reveal in spoken form, but the show feels the need that the person must suddenyl go from talking normally to screaming out the words, while the background shifts to speed lines. THis does not make it more dramatic, this makes me roll my eyes. It looks really stupid to me.

Talking while you fight. I like some banter in my fights. I like people who are on the edge of a fight being able to chatter about what's happening. TO a point. But when someone is breaking out some kind of super move, and the show almost grids to a halt in the space of a person throwing a punch, and that punch needing 5-8 minutes to land so everyone can get in some kind of speech about how insanely devastating this is going to be... ugh. Just punch the fucker already. ><

There are a few more, but I think I've ranted out enough for now.

When a sports manga is set at the high school level, yet the characters do crazy shit that is just unreal. What exactly is the pro level supposed to be? There's no sense of relative ability when the high school players already seem so incredible. Do professional players just... stop time or move at light speed?

Fucking... All of it. Anime used to make me mystified and enraptured, and now it's so... By the books. Maybe I just adjusted to japanese storytelling?

Credit where credit's due: Attack on Titan is a high-stakes story like I've never seen. You will DESPAIR, and it's amazing. Mushi-shi is a gorgeous work of art that takes you to another world, with rules you've never seen...

I tried to watch Sword Art Online and OH MY GOD IT'S SHIT. Nothing .hack didn't do a decade ago, and I didn't even like it much then (special mention to GU, which was actually good). I just want new anime that actually keeps me guessing.

I tried to watch Sword Art Online and OH MY GOD IT'S SHIT. Nothing .hack didn't do a decade ago, and I didn't even like it much then (special mention to GU, which was actually good). I just want new anime that actually keeps me guessing.

THIS-morgan-freeman.png

On the subject of SAO and this thread, having a crappy protagonist can really kill a series,. Kirito is such a fucking BORE as a protagonist, a cardboard cutout that the author was blatantly projecting himself onto, magnetizing the female cast toward him and pulling powers clean out of his ass.

1. Granted while I understand anime is targeted to teenagers for the most part, does almost every anime have to have teenagers as the main character?

2. Melodrama nuff said. Its like watching a bad soap opera.

The male lead in pretty much every harem anime. They annoy the hell out of me. They're all the same: lifeless, boring, bland, dumb as a bag of rocks, spineless and can't make any decisions, and they always spend the entire series leading on all of the other female characters and never choose one, even though they usually have one girl that they're already in love with. The only exception to this that I can think of is Keitaro from Love Hina who was obviously in love with Naru and made it pretty clear that he wasn't interested in anyone else from the beginning. Love Hina was just a great series, anyway.

Yeah, I get that the male leads are supposed to be kind of simple so male viewers can imagine them in their place but still, the characters tend to be annoying anyway. And I'm sorry, I can't imagine myself in the position because I would never be as stupid as they are.

And though this relates to one series in particular I'm going to say it anyway... "Heroine" in Amnesia. She was annoying as hell. She didn't have one likable quality, constantly got herself into trouble, was always abused physically or verbally by the male characters and never seemed to care, she couldn't do anything for herself, and... ugh. I just wanted to smack her. And c'mon, she didn't even have a friggin' name, everyone just called her "you" or "girl" or "idiot". Yeah, I get that she was supposed to be an extremely bland character so it was easy for female viewers to put themselves into her place but seriously, who would want to be in her place? Are there really that many brain dead girls out there who don't mind being locked up in a cage by a pretty boy who thinks you'll hurt yourself if you go outside, and that no knows your name and just calls you "you" or "stupid"?

1. Reused plots

We have all seen them before, I'm sure. I'm talking about "the chosen one" type plots, or plots centered around a single person who is the sole hope for the world/universe, as well as any other overused plot. Why should anyone waste their time watching the same story over and over again, only re-skinned and given a recycled, cookie-cutter cast? If the fate of the universe really did rest on the shoulders of a single person, then it would have ended a long, long time ago... Its frustrating, and cheapens what could have been an interesting journey through some new, exciting world when I learn its just another "chosen one" plot. Just stop doing it!

2. Reused character types that bring nothing new to the table

I won't beat the same dead horse over again, as many of the above posters have brought up similar gripes. Just suffice it to say that I'm tired of the lame male (and in some cases female) leads that are just carbon copies of other male leads who are dull, lifeless, clueless, and stupid beyond measure yet are inexplicably (and unrealistically) popular with women. I'm also annoyed by the randomly violent girls that sometimes appear, as well as the childhood friends who get swept aside by the main character in favor of some random girl with a nice figure that happens to walk into the plot. All-in-all, I just want some characters that are new (or at least have a twist to them) instead of recycling old ones over and over again.

3. Unnecessary drama

Sometimes in romantic comedies, usually toward the end of the series, the protagonists decide its time for some drama. Out of the blue, people jsut start getting emotional and rocking the social balance of the entire show for no good reason. Shana's second season was almost entirely wasted in drama limbo, with the only redeeming quality being the kick-butt opening and ending music and the action scenes at the very end (which I could hardly appreciate due to my disgust of how much time I'd wasted in getting there). Just cut the unnecessary drama, ok? If there is a good reason for it (such as the relationship of the two main characters being unhealthy from the start) then I can understand it. At that point, its not unnecessary. But if its just there for the sake of creating tension and drawing out the series? Nope. Nobody likes seeing it.

4. Pointless fan service shots (or characters)

I understand that its the draw for many series in particular, but is it really necessary to be so blatant with the fan service? Its sad when a very compelling story is inundated with so much fan-service that it could choke a whale. FMA (both series) managed to tell a very interesting story without having breasts or curvy female bodies (or male abs, for that matter) being pressed into our faces every two minutes. You don't need constant boobage to tell a great story, so why do the creators feel pressured to pack in so much sexuality in a story that can stand well enough on its own? It annoys me, both because it cheapens the characters and makes the females in particular feel like sex objects rather than people, but it also makes me reluctant to recommend the series to someone else due to how hard they push the sexuality of the women. If the story isn't about sex, why are they trying so hard to put it in there? I dunno, its just a pet peeve of mine.

Plots and plans, rolled up in traps and ploys, and smothered in double blinds. There's really only so far a genius can plan ahead, and then have every single domino fall into place. It completely takes me out of the story when incredible, unbelievable tactics fall perfectly into place.

Back
Top Bottom