Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D One on One: Conflict for Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a time and place similar to ours, there is a book. A book of magic and mystery.

The Grimoire Arcanum Absoltum

What is actually written in the pages of this book is unknown. Those few who have read it cannot speak of it's contents, but the aftermath of it's reading is recordable.

The dead returning to life, cities rebuilt in a day, crops growing where none could, a continent sinking into the ocean floor...

It seems to be able to do anything.

There are many who would grasp such power, but few who know of it, and fewer get the chance to obtain it. Only those who know of magic, which is relatively unknown in this world get a chance, and only fourteen are chosen to fight for it. For it only appears once a decade, and only to the last pair standing.

Seven Masters of this world, seven Servants from others.

Who will win in this conflict? Who will receive the knowledge to do anything? Lets find out...

A young woman stands in front of a summoning circle, the symbols on her arm a reminder of what she has to do. She's scared, since she is the last of her family. Meant to protect, meant to guard, their family sought to make sure destruction wasn't wrecked upon the world. But then her father died of an illness shortly after her birth, and her mother died of a broken heart two years after. And ten years ago her brother was killed, in the very thing she was entering now...

The Grimoire Conflict.

But she had been chosen, and it was her duty. With tears dripping down her face, she began the chant from her heart that would call a Servant. To fight for her, to protect her.

"Warrior of another world. Listen.
Hear my plea, hear my cry. Come.
Help me keep this lonely vigil. Fight.
Brother of my heart, Arrive!"

The sound of thunder echoes in the room, swirling blue tendrils flow from her to power the circle. A man appears, armored and ready for battle. But his face startled her. She gasped, and stared.

Altrain is disoriented. He heard a chant and then a blue portal appeared and then scooped him up. Three words appeared in his head. Servant Class Saber. The blue fades, and he finds himself in a room that has unusual furniture, likes of which he's never seen. The woman in front of him though...

She looks like... his sister. Only 8 years older... "Brother?!" She asks, tears falling from her face.

"It cannot be.." He gasps, almost coming out as a growl. "Reina.. How are you here..? Am I... Is this heaven? Or is this Hell and the Gods wish to jest me..?" His blade is lowered, though he quickly tightens it grip, and looks around the room. "Where... Am I..?" Thoughts swirled through his head as he began to correct himself. it was impossible. The rules of The Grimoire allowed him to know one thing. He took a deep breath, his visor covering his wavering eyes. "I ask of you, are you my Master?"

"I... I am. Both Reina, and... Your master. How? How are you alive?" Reina stared, looking at the brother she knew was dead. But there was differences. He was older, and had the build of a warrior, not a mage. Also, there was a dead look in his eye, that her brother had never had. Not even when his Servant died, and he'd sought to fight on his own, giving her time to escape. She had only been five, but the knowledge of his sacrifice, of the last time she saw the only family she could remember was etched into her mind forever. She had been taken care of and raised by servants loyal to her family.

(If you could describe her, since she's Altrain's sister, just from another reality, another world.)

(Reina has mid shoulder length brown hair with deep blue eyes, has always been slim. other than that, free reign as she's much older.)

"The Gods are cruel it seems.... They take you from me in one world, so that I can see you grieve in another... For now, I am simply 'Saber'..." His voice was cold and stressed as he relaxed the grip of his blade. What would you have me do, Master?" He tried to distance the woman in front of him that bore his sister's name, trying to separate the two, should he fail again.

"I... Just keep an eye out, for now. Take a look around, and get a feel for the house and grounds. This is where we'll stay, and where we'll sleep. In the morning, I need to leave for school. I'll have some servants find clothes for you to fit into, so that you can come with me. Your cover will be as a bodyguard." Reina says, visibly trying to regain her composure. But Altrain can see that she is still on the verge of tears.

Reina seems... worn. Like the weight of the world is on her shoulders. Her brown hair is simply kept, barely brushed, and her eyes have bags under them, that seem to have stayed there for a long time. Her clothes are... strange to Altrain. But seem well made, if rather simple. Overall, it seems like Reina is barely taking care of herself.

Elsewhere...
"Destroyer of another world. Listen.
Hear my call, hear my demand. Come.
Help me wreck this world anew. Fight.
God of Destruction reborn, Arrive!"

He nodded and hugged her briefly before starting to wander, leaving the room with a simple comment. "Whether you are my true sister or not, I cannot bear to see you ill... please... get some rest and relax..

Reina smiles at that, before nodding. She follows after, going up the staircase in the next room. Altrain finds himself in a mansion, with a similar layout to the place he grew up, with some differences. The servants, of which there are a dozen, are startled at first glance of him, but continue with their duties. They all seem to step lighter though, and have at least a slight smile after seeing him.

"So... In this world.. We never left Grandfather's mansion?" He asked himself, putting his gauntlet to the visor covering his eyes and forehead. This world made his head spin. He didn't know the time period, or anything at all. beyond that, he was summoned ALIVE. He hadn't completed his business or been killed in his previous land, as far as he knew. And Reina... She seemed so hurt to see him. What had happened to this worlds 'Altrain.' With a light sigh, he turned to one of the maids. After all, they knew who he was, for the most part. "The me from this world... What happened to him?"

The maid, a blonde with green eyes, looks sad a moment, and answers, "He died ten years ago, in this same conflict. He bought Mistress Reina time to escape, after his Servant died. He even managed to take the other Servant with him." The maid gives him a slight smile. "It is nice to see his face again. Perhaps it will help the Mistress. She has been... very alone."

"I admit.. in a way, that makes me happy." He started. "In my world... I was a knight, but I rebelled against my kingdom after it became corrupt and your Mistress fell to their blades..." I swore I'd get revenge if it was the last thing I did... when I return after this war... That's just what I'll do." He swore once more.

The maid looks at Altrain a moment, and nods. "I'm sorry for your loss. I can see it has affected you greatly. Maybe... maybe that's why you were summoned. So you can help heal each other." The maid says, while continuing her dusting. "But that's just speculation, and an optimistic one on my part. But I like to look at the bright side of things. Do you need anything?" She asks with a gentle smile.

"I pray you are right.." He nods, turning. "I'll continue giving patrolling the grounds for now, thank you."

The maid nods, and continues her task. Altrain sees several things that are completely strange to him. But the grounds, at least are similar. The only noticeable differences are the paved black line leading outside the gate (driveway), and a patch of trees in a corner. The mansion seems slightly bigger, and the library is positively massive. The librarian seems to be busy. Altrain seems to have arrived around evening, near sunset. The same time he left his world...

Altrain looked perplexed by the surroundings, his mind almost seeming to twist to wrap around the world that is his but at the same time not his own. The location seemed to be secure at least, so he considered retiring for the knight. Although, as he is now, he shouldn't require sleep...

The night passes quietly, and most of the servants turn in for the night after an hour or two past sunset. The only one who stays up late is the librarian, who continues his task and joy through most of the night. Altrain's room is in the same place it was in his world, and presumably Reina's is in the same spot as well. In the morning...

Altrain finds his door (if he is still in his room) being knocked on a minute or so past sunrise. (Official time of knocking is 6:00.) "Master Altrain, please wake up. It is time to shower." The maid from yesterday called out.

He simply opened the door and nodded, having pulled out a well made tuxedo with a grey shirt and black tie. "I figured it would suit a bodyguard.. I'll wear this after I bathe." He looked around and breathed. "So far, everything is where it was in my world, aside from the library being much bigger here, and the odd black path.. But just to be sure, where is the bathroom?"

"Now that I think of it.. We didn't have servants either. This was our grandfather's abode, but he didn't have servants, despite his wealth..." He thought aloud to himself

"Yes, that would fit, and look nice. The bathroom is there." The maid points, and the bathroom is in the same place. But the inside... is very different then Altrain is used to. "Well, the Morishita family has been mages for centuries, in this world." The maid says, then points out everything and how it works, including the various soaps and shampoos, before leaving him to take care of washing himself.

He nods and takes a heavy breath as he allows his armor to simply vanish, leaving himself vulnerable to the world as he washed himself thoroughly, but quickly. He dried off before donning his new clothes, and stepping out. He began to search the house for any type of weapon-small and concealable, from this time and or his own. (Rolled a natural 20 search check- looking for a knife, pistol, or other concealable weapon.)

There is a pistol in a room that looks like the Master's Study, near the library. There are a plethora of knives in the kitchen, and the cook is more than willing to lend one. Reina is in the kitchen as well, eating. She looks better today, dressed in a school uniform. It seems like she got a decent sleep for the first time in a long time. "Hello Saber. Any questions?" She also sounds better.

When Saber takes the gun, it become's wreathed and clad in his own energy, and takes a similar scheme as the armor he had been wearing, as does the knife. "None in particular, just realizing that it's a different time period here as well... You may need to tell me how things work." He explains. "Except for weapons... we're good on that."

"Oh, well, the year is 2022. We'll be going in a car, which is a horseless carriage." Reina replies. "People live mostly in cities now, and communications in particular, but technology in general, is a lot further ahead than you're probably used to. There are schools for everyone, and magic is rare and hard to find, for almost everyone."

Basically, this world is our world, but a little bit further ahead, timeline wise. So there may be a few more cutting edge technologies. The gun is actually magical already, and seems to have a familiar feel, magic wise. (Base as +5 merciful fire.)

(He basically gave it unlimited ammo and gave it the power of a rank B Noble Phantasm. He also is treated as having greater proficency/focus/ specialization, as well as Devastating Critical. Passive weapon boosting skill.)
He nodded and stretched, concealing the gun and knife. "Then let us be on our way.."

Reina leads he to the garage, and into the car. The car leaves on the driveway, and heads toward a city, Diaruth. The drive ends in a four story building. Diaruth South High. There are a multitude of students, some staring at Altrain, but most shrugging and continuing on. Inside, Reina introduces Altrain to the staff members, and her teachers throughout the day as a sophomore student, as a newly hired bodyguard.

Meanwhile...
On the rooftop when they arrive, a figure in red with long streaming silver hair watches the arrivals through visor. Upon seeing Reina and Altrain, it mutters to itself, "Targets found. Awaiting opportunity to strike." A cackle can be heard by the figure, then a man's voice. "Excellent, Archer. Soon you can prove yourself as the God of Destruction!" "Right..." The figure says before shutting the communication to listen only. "As if I really cared for that title..."

Roll Spot to see if Altrain notices the figure before entering the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom