Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Revenge of the Monsters D&D Pathfinder Faerun 3.5 Updated!

Should erotica be used in this rp? (players only please)

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
For generations "adventurers" have tracked down the "savage" and "evil" races to loot them and slaughter them in some type of perverse culling ritual before stealing all of their hard won items, food, and trade. Orcs have been refused the right to trade because elves find them offensive, goblins are seen like large versions of cockroaches and exterminated in droves with no care to if they are man, woman, or child, and kobolds are destroyed by gnomes for some age old slight that their very God started! Well, enough is definitely enough!

You will be portraying one of the "monstrous" or "evil" races that has been wronged by humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, and gnomes. Your tribes have been kept sociologically stunted thanks to the puerile racism of the so called "advanced" races that keeps anything they view as unattractive or just disdainful from fully realizing themselves. Who is to say that orcs could not be as smart and talented as any elf if given the right education? But no, the slender bigots keep their "hated foe" in savage and tribal locations. Who is to say that goblins cannot understand love and affection the way humans can? Humans, the youngest of the vicious species, are more a plague than any goblin tribe has ever been!

You and your friends, family, and other close friends were gathered at a meeting of trading and culture. It was a festival between myriad races and other groups who were shunned by the "decent" humanoids of the world. Except something went wrong. The local communities got word of the gathering and got both frightened and greedy. There was gold and food and magic at this gathering, along with lots of slave labor. Thus, during the third day, it was attacked.

You saw your family and friends and strangers slaughtered before your very eyes. Your siblings, your parents, children of all types. Under the corpses where you hid you saw elves and humans rape young and wounded people of your race and others. You saw gnomes fastening slaves for their mines along with dwarves. You saw Halflings looting everything they could get their hands on. You had to wait, you hadn't been seen. A day later you found out you were not the only survivors, others had lived and not been captured. You knew you had to do something! This type of barbarism could not go unanswered! You would no longer be preyed upon by thrill seeking "adventurers," no more be a practice shield for squires, and your riches would not feed a lazy mob! It is time to right the balance of power.

This will be going on in AIM on Fridays, time yet to be decided. Add me to AIM and I'll get people situated.

Note 2: I have decided against Psionics, just too much bookwork.

So, mechanically, the rules are thus: Your race must be "monstrous" in some ways. Here are the examples:
Half-orcs
Tiefling
Goblin
Half-Ogre
Orc
Kobold
Savage Species Drider
Skulk
Zombified any race
(Note: Pretty much every race will be house ruled in some way or another, I would prefer no modifiers to Level outside of +2 without a great background/reasoning or a savage species approach. If you want to play a race that is not up there be sure to ask about it and I will see how it works. Though, no drow.)

The acceptable Classes:
Arcane: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wu Jen, Witch
Divine: Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, Oracle
Fighting: Barbarian, Hexblade, Fighter, Ranger
Sneaky: Artificer, Beguiler, Rogue, Scout
Tricky: Bard, Dragon Shaman, Monk, Summoner

The books these appear in are:
Complete Divine: Favored Soul
Players Handbook 2: Beguiler, Dragon Shaman
Complete Arcane: Warlock, Wu Jen
Complete Warrior: Hexblade
Complete Adventurer: Scout
Eberron Campaign Core: Artificer
Also, check here for some fun: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php">http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php</a><!-- m -->

Now that that is out of the way, here is the more numerical issues: You will start at level five (or with five levels) which gives you numerically nine-thousand in gold worth of objects and simple cash.

I want to set this up Pathfinder-like, so some classes will be reworked, as will races. Choose a race you wish to know of and I'll give you my rework, as with the class. This way I don't have to deluge with rules that may or may not ever be used.

Here is the general: Fighter Base Attack: d10 hit die (d12 for Barbarians or any class that gets it)
Rogue Base: d8
Wizard Base: d6
Feats: Every odd level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc)
Ability Increase: One every fourth level

Favored Class: Choose a favored class for your character, that is your favored class.

Skills will be the Pathfinder skill set, so you are limited to your class level in rating but get a +3 if it is a class skill. At character creation you just get Class Bonus+ Intelligence in skill points. (Example, a Rogue would get 8+ Int Bonus at character creation and could have a rank of one in every skill. At level 2 they'd get the same but could raise the skills to 2.)
Check here for more info: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills">http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills</a><!-- m -->

Roll seven d6, drop the lowest score. Do not start with a stat lower than 10 on the die rolls. If you have a negative modifier after that (say a Half-ogres -2 charisma and a 10 charisma = 8) that is fine. If you have nothing above a 14 re do your rolls. If you do not have at least one eighteen turn your highest score into an 18. Do it in that order.

Do not roll your hit die, you will get the maximum points per level for a more "epic" feel.

Sneak attacks will only not effect the following: certain Abominations, oozes, plants, and any specific class that grants immunity. Everything else can be sneak attacked. Sneak attack stacks with spells as well as other abilities (eldritch blast, scorching ray, etc).

The rest will be handled by a race and class basis.

I'd say a maximum of about five to six. Four positions are already taken, they are thus:
Neurok_Shinobi Water Genasi Monk
Broomhandle45: Tiefling Fighter Dropped
Hero: Tiefling Warlock Dropped
Dramamine: Kobold Druid
Minthulf: Half-Minotaur Diabolus Oracle/Bard
Arcturus: Goblin Rogue

And now for a game. PM/IM the answer to any one of these and your character will get a boost of some kind. Yays.
If I had a manatee what would I name him?
Who first chat married me on Blue Moon?
What song has the lyrics "I see you baby; shakin' dat ass?" Neurok
Finish this lyric: "I have something to put in you-" Minthulf
Tomyris beat which legendary commander?
Name an anime I actually enjoy
Who was the ACTUAL protagonist of the book House of Leaves?
What was Ranavalona the Cruel's original name? Arcturus

Re: Revenge of the Monsters (D&D 3.5/Pathfinderish idea)

Sounds different enough to be fun :3

Re: Revenge of the Monsters (D&D 3.5/Pathfinderish idea)

Well Raiden, choose a character type and ask about it to see what rules will be made for it.

Also since they are popular: Tieflings:
Abilities: Tieflings have varied heritages, thus each one is different, gaining two +2s in any two abilities.
Their natures also fluctuate their resistances, Tieflings choose three of the following: +5 cold resistance, +5 fire resistance, +5 Sonic Resistance, +5 Acid resistance, and/or +5 electricity resistance
+2 to Bluff and Stealth
Please make their appearance visibly demonic in some way (check out the demons/devils and go wild)!
Everything else is by the normal 3.5 ruling in Races of Destiny
As two people have chosen Tieflings I'd prefer everyone else chose something different so as not to have a Tiefling heavy party

Warlock changes: d8 Hit Die
Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device
Skill points: 2+Int Modifier each level
Other adjustments: None, play as it is in Complete Arcane

Hexblade Changes:
Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft
Skill points: 2+Int per level
Changes: Hexblade curse usage once per 3 levels, Greater Curse at sixth level, Dire curse at 17th.
Bonus feats every fourth level, feats can come from the Fighter feats, Hexblade specific, or the general Hexblade allotment.

Re: Revenge of the Monsters (D&D Faerun 3.5/Pathfinderish idea)

I'm interested. Goblin Ranger, got anything I need to know before I start cooking that up?

Well, I'd suggest getting rid of Track and taking Trap-Finding as we have no "rogue" member (which adds Disable Device to your skill list) and here are house ruled Goblins

Abilities: -2 Str, +2 Dex
Small, 30 ft movement, Darkvision 60 feet, +4 Stealth, +4 Ride or Survival, and a +1 to all attack rolls with bows/crossbows

The Pathfinder ranger is a bit different than normal and can specialize in 2 handed combat, bow combat, or crossbow combat and has an alternative to the animal companion.

What's the Crossbow Combat progression look like? And the animal companion alternative?

Anyway, double checking: Stat rolling, so you're saying roll seven D6s and take the three highest for each stat? I was looking over that thinking originally you ment one of those systems where you start with eight and add one dice to the result or something.

Rangers can choose the animal companion or the "Hunter's Companions" which allows them to take a move action and share half their favored enemy bonus with all allies within thirty feet based against one enemy. I.E. You have favorite enemy Humanoid (human) +4, we are fighting a human. You take a move action to point out the human's weak points and they all gain a +2 modifier to attack and damage against that human for (your Wisdom modifier) in rounds.

And I believe the crossbow combat goes: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (type of crossbow), Precise shot, or Far Shot (and maybe quick draw for crossbows)
Then at sixth level you can select Rapid Reload which allows you to reload a crossbow you have as a Focus weapon as a free action, thus allowing you to attack with it at your full base attack bonus. That is the only real change as the rest of the archery feats are compatible with one another

Also, unlike normal 3.5, Rangers get favored terrain which adds +(modifier) to Initiative and tracking. That and Hide in Plain Sight works everywhere.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/ranger">http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/ranger</a><!-- m --> The general data

No, you could have a +1 Keen Sharrash (Just Sharrash as this is not Eberron) as the Keen counts as a +1. Or you could just have a Keen Sharrash for 2,000 gp. A +1 Keen Sharrash would cost 8,000 gp of your 9,000. See DM guide page 222.

Edited for my mistake, apologies.

I'm all over this more than a webcomic artist on his remaining fans. Lemme work out a sheet.

Sorry for double post, would this be an ok thing to use? It looks nifty

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.pathguy.com/monsters.htm">http://www.pathguy.com/monsters.htm</a><!-- m -->

The character I have in mind is a Fey'ri (Demon Elf with a lvl Adj of +2 or +3 depending on their demonic abilities)

Reipuru said:
Sorry for double post, would this be an ok thing to use? It looks nifty

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.pathguy.com/monsters.htm">http://www.pathguy.com/monsters.htm</a><!-- m -->

I'm sorry but it just leads to a general savage species page, what race are you wanting so I can check my own savage species book?

Raiden: I'd say no because of the elf part. I want this to be more monstrous. I guess Tieflings were a bit of an odd choice but they have variable ancestry and are seen as negative.

Also, if you can, download the Pathfinder book. Ask Dramamine to send it to you. This will help. A lot. It contains leveling and glorious skill sets.

Okay, now for how to post your character (sorry for not placing this up, it was semi-hectic yesterday and I had a headache)
Name(First, last, tribal, etc), Race, Alignment, Deity (This is Faerun, you need a God), Sex (and gender if it differs from sex), Height, Weight, age, Class, and total Hp

Then do your abilities in order from Strength to Charisma (include modifiers please)
Next is skill. Please show how you allotted skills per level (which may be just Disable Device 5 (one per level)) Then in this order: Skill Rank+Modifier Rank+Extra(This equals class skill bonus)= Total
Then Show feats. Please tell me where they came from as D&D has hella books. Also include if the feats are bonus feats and what they do.

Do your saves (Class bonus+Modifier+Extra=final)
Do your Attack bonus (Base+Modifier+Feats/Extra)
Do your AC (10+Armor+Dex+Shield+Extra)
Do Initiative Bonus
Show me anything your class/race gives you (immunities, resistances, a huge wang, etc)

If you are a spellcaster show how many spells per day you get of each level and if you are a limited spellcaster show which spells you can cast.

Show how you spent you cash and what you have left over

And finally, the most important thing: Background. I want a good, interesting background filled with plot hooks for me to use to yank you in directions! I will pimp smack you so hard if you neglect this. Or just leave your character as the two dimensional stat splat it is. I'd like a good amount of detail (parents, anyone you knew who died/was kidnapped in the attack that you know of, childhood memories, ticks, all sorts of goodness).

Please note I may have, and probably did, leave something out of this. D&D is not my most well known game, please bear with me and we'll get you through this. (If you can tell me where that latter bit of song quote came from I may or may not grant you something special. First come first serve)

What exactly is a savage species Drider?

That would be a drider with Drider monster levels as presented in the book Savage Species. As it stands we have two warriors, a mage type, and a divine type and driders would end up being mainly mage/divine casters by their abilities (they gain three levels of sorcerer/warlock/or Archivist as they level as I will house rule them). I'll need to approve the monster as well and change them up for the Pathfinder switch.

Hmm I'm having issues with the pathfinder bit and how it applies here but I'm managing I think

Misanthropiclove said:
(they gain three levels of sorcerer/warlock/or Archivist as they level as I will house rule them). I'll need to approve the monster as well and change them up for the Pathfinder switch.

What exactly do you mean by this? (Sorry for all the questions.)

Driders, as they normally advance, will pick up three "levels" of sorcerer, cleric, or wizard. As cleric and wizard are not approved classes in this campaign I'd switch them over to Warlock and Archivist to cover the split. If you'd like the contact me via AIM (which is on the bottom of my posts) we can speak more quickly.

Okay, to get it out of the way, what time does everyone want to meet on AIM chat on Fridays? I'm on central time and would probably prefer something around 6-9pm or 7-10pm myself. I can be flexible for other time zones of course.

So, just post what times you would be most happy for and we'll work dis out yo.

6-9 might be fine for me. I get off work at 4 PM PST, but I'm usually home in 5-10 minutes so I shouldn't hold up the group that much. 7-10 also works.

I have very limited times. since I have to use the library's wireless net to get online.

So anytime from about 12 pm to 8:45 pm mon-thurs and 5 pm on friday/weekends.

Back
Top Bottom