Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

From seemingly out of nowhere, a stranger slowly walked towards them, rustling some bushes as his overcoat brushed past them. Lionel went to draw his sword, but the stranger gave pause. He was a demi-human, having the countenance of wild cat of some kind, his feline features on his face. A black, gold-lined almost militaristic looking overcoat framed him with a strange hat that sat on top of his head like a northman's ushanka, allowing out his long, pointed furry ears, with some runes on the hat.

Slowly, he approached, his hands up. Rafe stared silently at him and he spoke in a deep, rumbling voice. "Might a strange trouble you travelers for some food?"

Candira looked up as she heard the rustling, her arms letting Rafe go in case she needed to defend herself or the entire party. The stranger that came toward them reminded Candira slightly of the way Rafe looked in his full armor and she was immediately on her guard. Lionel's reaction was slightly hasty, but then again, he was protecting Nora. The princess, to her credit, just stood there behind Lionel holding a canteen like a curious priestess.

The redhead tilted her head and wondered what this stranger was up to as he asked for food. Honestly, if that was all this was about, she'd be happy to give some up. So she spoke up smiling softly. "Forgive us for our hasty reaction," she said with a wave of her hand, a protection spell quietly floating over to Nora just in case. "You can never be too careful. I'm afraid we don't have much to spare right now, but you're welcome to some bread and cheese." She offered a meager portion so they would have enough in the future and took a step toward the stranger.

She was counting on the fact that Rafe and Lionel were watching her. Also, if she got her ass kicked, Nora was the best person to have in one's party for a healer. This was all to avoid some conflict, really. If they got mad at her, she'd deal with it later.

The stranger looked at her, as if sizing her up and reached out with a furred hand, slowly taking it. He nodded slowly and began to eat on it, moving past them and making his way into the forest. A hasty thanks rumbled from his as he moved past them.

Once he was gone, Rafe was still staring at his wake. "I know him...I've seen him before, I swear it. I just...can't place where or when in my life..."

"Take care!" Candira called after him. She smiled and waved before turning back to Rafe. It seemed that he knew the stranger. She wondered briefly if it was a good idea to let the stranger just leave like that, especially since he was alone, but if he'd needed help, he probably would have asked. "You have?" She blinked and looked in the direction he'd gone in. "I wonder where he's headed..."

Nora shrugged and capped her canteens putting them back in their rightful place. "He must be from the Southern kingdoms," she said referring to the kingdoms of the anthropomorphic worshipers of Greeta, said to have once been beasts whose faith brought them their current form. Mostly laymen called them beastmen nowadays. "I suppose he could be coming from anywhere, though." She shrugged it off and looked over at Lionel. "Are you ready?"

Lionel nodded and helped Nora up onto the horse as he sucked on some jerky. Rafe helped Candira up as well before they started back on the main road. Coming closer to Windfall, they did see the occasional traveler going the opposite way, usually with a brief greeting.

Before long, the sky was painted a vast golden hue as Dima's light started to leave the sky and Lord Sin began to wake.

Candira didn't really need Rafe's help, but she took it because it was a sweet gesture and because she liked the way he touched her as he helped her. Nora took Lionel's help out of politeness, but she was a better rider than he was--or at least she was more confident. The four of them rode together all throughout the day, only ever taking short breaks. Candira rode closely with Rafe, partially because she liked being so close, and partially because for some reason she was feeling very tired.

Nora was faring a bit better, though, not tired and certainly not quite so close to Lionel. She still wondered where the two of them stood but let that issue drop. The last thing she needed to be thinking about was her relationship with a man who'd made it clear that he didn't feel those things for her, and didn't feel as though he had a right to. Besides, she didn't know all that much about him...and he was so serious. Oh well. Nothing like a good ride to put her thoughts into their place.

As the sun began to set, she thought she saw Windfall on the horizon. "Is that it?"

Lionel nodded slowly. "I've only been there once, but that's it. Windfall Castle..." Windfall was hardly tall, but it was expansive and well decorated with marble and bronze decor to Dima, the Lightbringer and the Keeper of Wisdom. (Hope I'm not getting this goddess wrong, she is yours.)

From the castle, one could see the coast of the Abyssal Expanse, a vast ocean no one had crossed because of storms and sea monsters, most ships kept close to shore. There was some small villages surrounding the lands around Windfall Castle and it was considered a religious expanse. There was no lord save for the King, only the Abbess or Abbot had lease here and since the King ruled by Divine Right, the local religious leader ruled like a local lord, but usually much less out of self-servitude, and more out of a desire to proselytize for the good of their god. Dima was a kind and benevolent goddess so the local Abbess or Abbot typically reigned benevolently. Typically, the monastery and the convent were kept on the same grounds, but separately. The vast castle serves as a great library as well as a school for new servants of the goddess. Males and females were schooled in the convent and monastery separately, and while the priests did the earthly duties of keeping the records, recording, copying, and keeping books, and such, the priestesses did the heavenly duties, tending to the goddess and appeasing her servants and the light spirits and various other denizens of the spiritual world. There were some joint duties where the priests and priestesses met, such as blessings, holy days and festivals, and quests where necessary. The castle did house the occasional paladin of Dima.

Rafe smiled as, looking in the sky and seeing the last of Dima's rays leave it and the crescent moon rising as the night animals began to call. "Looks like we got here just in time..."

Nora beheld it in wonder. She tried to think of it as a victory in reaching the place, but she simply couldn't. No matter how much she wanted to accept her fate with grace, all she felt was despair. Still she put on a brave face, much like she always did for her people and smiled softly. "Well, we better hurry. They'll likely lock the gates soon." With that, she spurred her horse forward, taking it to a canter so that no one else would have the opportunity to see how very sad she was--how nervous and uncomfortable. Only Lionel might be able to tell since he could feel her body, but she doubted he was paying any attention. At the very least, she could throw herself into the duties of a priestess here and bury herself in the records.

Candira thought she would likely stay here a bit longer as well. Perhaps there was something in the scrolls to help Rafe. Maybe even ways to help defeat the Black Riders. Besides, the redhead was quite sure that Nora was far less pleased than she really seemed. Still, something in her own body didn't feel quite right. She was tired and weak, and wasn't sure why...Maybe the priestesses could look her over.

"Rafe...don't let them get too far ahead..."

Rafe nodded and spurred his horse on. "Schnell. Schnell!" He urged the horse. The horse bolted with great speed until they were caught up and not but a few feet behind before Rafe expertly slowed the horse. Once at the castle gates, there was a rather informal castle guard of common militia on the walls and gates of the castle.

A guard on one of the towers by the gate looked down and called out to the visitors. Lionel called back saying at they were mere pilgrims seeking shelter and they sought to meet with the head of Windfall.

Nora sighed and slowed to a halt at the gates letting Lionel do the talking. Her uniform pretty much spoke for their purpose. Lady Candira and Rafe were admitted as well. Once the visitors were inside the gate Nora felt silly on the horse. "We should probably dismount," she said, noticing how the people that were still in the street at this hour were beginning to stare. The last thing they needed was more unwanted attention.

Candira was struggling to keep herself together at this point. Something was definitely wrong. "Nora," she murmured. The princess looked back at Candira and saw that the woman was pale and looked awful. She dismounted as quickly as she could and ran to Rafe's mount. "Get her down," she said urgently.

Lionel swiftly dismounted, looking at Nora. "Are you alright...?" He didn't want to say her name in front of others. Names of the royals were somewhat known. Rafe looked at Candira and wasn't sure how concerned to be, whether this was a problem between the group, or if there was a problem with the place they came in. He was prepared to draw his weapon if need be, but he didn't want to have to do that unless it became necessary. Drawing it too early, especially on holy ground, would certainly be a poor decision.

Nora frowned at Lionel. "I'm Fine." Honestly, sometimes men were just clueless. "Candira's ill. Get her down." Once the redhead was off the horse, Nora felt her forehead. She was a bit feverish, and she'd been out of it for much of the day. "One of you needs to carry her, and one of you needs to stable the horses. I don't care who does what, but we need to get to the abbey as soon as possible."

Candira shook her head. "I can walk, Nora...It's fine."

Nora frowned and crossed her arms. "Now you know better than that. Denying the problem is only going to worsen it."

"Why do priestesses always have to be logical?" Candira sighed. "I am getting a little dizzy." In fact it was getting more and more difficult to concentrate.

Rafe frowned deeply, concerned. "Lionel if you could..." Lionel had enough tact to nod and go with it as Rafe helped Nora take Candira inside. "Candira please don't argue..." He felt her forehead softly. "You do feel feverish...don't be stubborn now."

If she hadn't been arguing with a priestess or had the training herself she might have argued that she could walk just fine. But seeing as she knew she would only make it worse if she argued, she merely sighed and nodded. She put her arms around Rafe's neck as he carried her and held onto him because she thought she was being helpful and because if she didn't she would have thought she was going to fall because she was so dizzy. "Alright," she muttered, leaning her head into him and closing her eyes.

Nora frowned. "I don't think it's serious, but it's hard to tell without examining her fully. I'll see if I can't get her a room so I can work on healing her. You just stay here and keep her company until I get back, okay? I'll just be through that door," she said, pointing at what appeared to be an office. With that, Nora hurried to the door and knocked first. When she was encouraged to come in, she entered, leaving the door slightly open.

All around them young women in the uniform of priestesses of Dima were walking and praying silently. Priests who were coming to clean the area were clothed similarly, but covered a bit more in some respects--less in others. They politely began to clean the corridor, giving Rafe and Candira room. The redhead looked up at him. "Sorry. I'm probably heavy," she said. "I think I can stand if you need to put me down."

Rafe smiled softly and warmly at Candira, sitting on the bedside. "You are hardly a weight, my lady. If you need me, I can easily carry you in full armor." He gently carried her as he was led to a small guest room by a young male acolyte wearing a robe that looked about two sizes too big for him, but he was managing. Rafe helped her inside and laid her in a bed, slowly removing her boots from her. "There, I bet that feels good..." He smiled at her. "I love the feel of bare feet against crisp, cool sheets..."

She smiled at him as he told her she was light. She sort of doubted it, but hey. She'd take any compliments she could get at this point. She was really starting to feel just awful. "Thank you, Rafe." When he put her down, she let him take her boots off and smiled at him. "I do too. Will you stay with me?" She asked. "I never liked being by myself when I was sick." She hoped he would stay.

Nora came in the room a bit later with a little wooden bucket full of cool water and a ladle. "How are you feeling?" she asked, obviously concerned.

"Dizzy and tired...and just awful."

"You rest here while I use some spells to rule a few things out."

Candira nodded and reached out for Rafe's hand.

Rafe frowned softly and took Candira's hand, kissing it softly. "I'm not going anywhere, don't worry." He had no intentions of being ushered off anywhere. He'd stay by her side even if this was the start of the next plague.

She smiled at him, looking noticeably paler than before. She closed her eyes and let Nora start chanting. Blue lights gathered around Candira's head and chest, showing that the illness was restricted to those areas. The lights were quite bright, so she could tell that the illness was bad, but since they were blue it meant that she would likely survive if she just got some rest and took care of herself for a few days.

Sighing in relief Nora bent down and checked Candira's temperature. She was definitely feverish. She delivered her diagnosis to both of her friends. "She'll be fine. She just needs rest. I think it's just a bad head cold. She must not have gotten dry fast enough after she came out of the rain. She picked up the ladle and let Candira drink before she asked an acolyte outside to fetch a cloth for Candira. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you get better. Rafe can help too," she said with a soft smile.

Candira groaned. "Ugh. What a time to get sick," she murmured. Normally she was more careful than this. "Sorry for making you worry for nothing."

Rafe gave a soft laugh before he continued to smile. "So...I was the one who ran back outside, and intent on staying in the rain and you're the one that catches ill from it...what irony..." He kissed her hand again and held it close to his chest.

Candira chuckled and let him hold her hand. "Isn't that just the way?" she said with a laugh. She groaned softly and leaned back in obvious discomfort.

Nora frowned. "I'll cast a spell to help your body heal itself, but it will take awhile for you to get better. Would you like me to cast a sleeping spell as well?" She asked with a frown.

Candira shook her head. "Not now. Maybe a bath will help? Steamy water and all that?" she suggested.

Nora nodded. "There's a tub across the hall. I'll get it ready and Rafe can carry you over once you're ready. I'll help you once you're there."

Candira nodded. "Okay. Thanks, Nora." With that, Nora left the room to get the tub ready, wondering if Lionel was alright.

Candira looked up at Rafe and smiled. "Will you help me stand so I can get ready?" she asked, pointing out a soft robe in the corner.

Rafe smiled and nodded. He slowly helped her up and led her to the robe, helping her undress if it was necessary. He didn't appear to mind in the least that they might be in a holy temple and one that usually didn't allow relations between the genders. If there were any priestesses about, let them be shocked, Rafe cared too much about Candira to allow modesty to get in the way of him helping her. He was, after all, her dutiful knight.

He was so sweet to her, even though she was feeling so sick. Maybe that was why he was doing it, or maybe she just appreciated it more because of it, but she loved that he was so kind. She stood and undressed carefully. She took a few things off first before stripping out of her outfit, the majority of it falling to her feet. Rafe had seen her body before, but that didn't stop her from blushing a little. Of course, she doubted he was thinking of anything but her health at this point. She slipped the robe on and fastened it before she hugged him.

"Thank you, Rafe," she said softly, just holding him. "I think I'm ready now."

He nodded slowly, smiling softly to her as he helped her to the bath that had been drawn for her. He slowly helped her inside and gave her whatever soaps she might need. "I had...better go check on everyone and see if there's anyone here that needs to talk to me...I'll be back before you're done."

Nora helped Rafe get Candira ready and smiled as he left. Both of them said thank you before he left. Candira sighed and sank into the nice hot bath, letting Nora chant spells as she rested and thought of how much Rafe cared. She smiled as she though of the way he'd kissed her hand and held her. She only hoped that her sweet knight wouldn't blame himself. Nora caught her daydreaming as she finished a spell that would help boost Candira's immune system and chuckled.

"Well it's pretty clear you're in love," Nora teased with a smile as she helped bathe her friend who was out of it.

"Yeah...I am. It's kind of complicated, but I really do love him," she said with a smile. "It's kind of hard to tell if he loves me or idolizes me sometimes."

Nora laughed. "Why can't he do both?" The priestess teased, starting to scrub her arm. "Gotta say though--I'm pretty jealous."

Candira chuckled. "I'm not sure if Lionel likes you or not, but you certainly affect him a great deal, Nora."

Rafe smiled when he came back, knocking lightly. He pretended not to hear what he had just heard as he slowly slipped inside. "Lionel is unpacking our stuff. He wanted me to make sure you were alright Nora..." Rafe sat a little bit away from the bath. "So...umm...is there anything I can do here? I haven't actually been inside a...convent...before. I'm not sure what to do here..."

Back
Top Bottom