Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Somewhere in the world (Candira and runawayninja)

"As alright as I'll be." He nuzzled and nestled closer to her. He took her arm and pulled it around him, wanting the feeling of security and comfort. "I came inside for you...I...didn't want you to worry." He shrugged a bit. "And I suppose of I had caught something serious, I'd feel bad for making you more worried..." His voice was rather flat and quiet, but his body pressed back against her's.

"I wouldn't put it above him. I don't know what his angle or game is but he seems pretty close to Lady Candira." David sniffed his wine some more before sipping it again. "Safe? Honestly, she'd do us more good if she were killed too. Give our kingdom more impetus to fight the others if their darling princess was assassinated." David showed little emotional attachment talking about his sister. "We do need Rafe. The others are a liability. I'll leave Nora to your discretion." He looked at her and smiled. "It's been pretty cloak and dagger so far, but I'm curious...which one of the Black Riders are you? No reason we can't be friends, I mean...we're all part of our little circle. The Holy Beasts will take us far...at least that's the assumption."

She opened her eyes to look at him, relieved that he would be so safe. When he pulled his arm around him she hugged him tightly and stayed snuggled up with him. She knew how hard this was for him, so the very least she could do was comfort him. "I'm so happy you're with me here, Rafe. I'd be worried if you were gone, but I'd miss you, too. And I feel much safer with you as well." She smiled and kissed his cheek softly. "Thank you."

Nora exited the bathroom feeling clean. She wore a simple night gown and a robe. She saw Lionel and smiled softly. "It's your turn if you want to clean up. It is a nice tub," she said, giving him some credit as well. With that, she sat down and helped herself to some leftover tea and just tried to relax. It would be hard to get to sleep tonight.

The woman was a little surprised at how little the man seemed to care for his own sister. Still, she could work with his duplicitous nature. In fact, she was thrilled that he was feeding the negative forces of the world. "Interesting...I shall let you know before we act when dealing with the princess. As for Rafe...if he is truly close to Lady Candira, we may be able to use her against him if we can separate them..." She started to formulate a plan to divide and conquer them.

"Tell me, Prince. What was the point in moving your sister in the first place?" she asked.

Rafe gave, perhaps the faintest of smiles, even if she couldn't see it. "If...you're happy...it makes it easier. Your happiness means...a lot to me." He groans softly in contentment. "Having you near me...soft and warm...I feel content as a house cat."

Lionel shook his head slowly. "I won't leave until morning. It can wait until we arrive at the castle." He was firm and adamant on this and he wouldn't be moved.

David leaned his head back a bit. "Well...I intended to move my sister because of her training as a priestess. She is more sensitive to such things and it will be easier to execute our plans with her out of the way. Mmm...my father just about hasn't left his meeting hall with his generals in weeks. It was easy to convince him to move her after you did your work. The war is wearing on him...I expect he won't see it through. And if the war goes as planned...we can decide who the next Sage will be. Can you imagine it? A Holy Beast as Sage of all the human kingdoms..."

David gave a soft chuckle and shook his head. "I am giving a speech, forgive me. I am given to such things...but Lady Candira was a priestess once too, I'll wager if she is truly close to Rafe, she will have sensed the Holy Beast in him. Use that if you can." David looked down at his wine. "It doesn't matter how many pawns have to be played, how many people have to be used. Like so many ants they are, unable to reach for greatness, too afraid to look past their own, brief lives. We can be gods unto ourselves..."

Candira smiled and kissed his cheek softly, snuggling into him. "Your happiness means a lot to me too," she said, holding him and rubbing his back gently. "I'm glad you're content. Good night, Rafe." With that, she closed her eyes and snuggled into him. She wouldn't be asleep for a little while longer, but just having him there with her was enough to make her feel at ease.

Nora blinked and smiled softly at Lionel's dedication to her safety. "You know something? I feel a lot better hearing you say that," she said with a chuckle. "As much as I give you a hard time, you always make me feel safer." She smiled and sipped at her tea, looking out the small window in the room. "Remember when I said I was nervous all the time? I still am right now. I have no idea what to do with myself." She chuckled and looked over to him. "I know I should try to sleep, but I don't think I could if I tried."

She smirked at his answer. He could easily have had her kill his sister instead of the prime minister. But it seemed as though he wanted to avoid unnecessary death. "If we do succeed and your sister lives, what will become of her? There's no need to kill her, really. Perhaps she could be used differently..." She pondered this aloud. It was a well-known fact that while David had the respect of the people, his little sister had their hearts. It was no wonder. Even she was growing tired of his delusions.

"How interesting that you speak of far-sightedness. What is it that you would give up to achieve your goals?"

Rafe's eyes closed slowly, feeling the warmth of Candira and imagining it was his mother's once more.

Lionel looked at Nora and gave just a bit of a soft smile, one she could see. "Protecting you and your house has been my life's honor. It is the one duty in my life that I feel I will tell others with pride. If I have children, I will tell them of these days as those that I served with joy and honor in my duty. You are a good and noble person, worthy of your station. And your brother is kind and generous. I hope...the war ends soon." He looked over at Rafe and Candira. "She cares for him and shares her bed with him, even though they are not of the same station. He is a landless knight, a retainer like me. And she is a landowner and a noble, a small one, but a title holder none the less. Normally, such a mixing bothers me, but...they make it seem so natural and right that I cannot raise a word against them. Even so, there are differences...I am motivated by duty. My family has great lands and the title to a large city in them. Rafe is driven by rage, that inner fire that he carries and cannot be rid of, and he has nothing to call his own, save for what is given to him by others."

David swilled the drink in his glass, swirling it a bit by the movement of the glass itself. "If we succeed, I no longer have much use for Nora. I'll probably keep her around as a symbol for the sake of the people, but by that point, we will have such power that we can command the people without her." He shrugged softly. "If we don't need her, she might be a threat and she'll have to be done away with." He looked down into the glass and then sipped on it some more. "IF a use for her arises, we can put her to that."

"What would I give up?" He chuckled softly. "What haven't we given up already? But...to be as gods ourselves, what can't we sacrifice? Our wealth, our lives, our souls...all is forfeit to such power. For once we have attained it, what is beyond our reach? You know...at first, when I was young, I told myself that leaders...that I...made hard decisions for the good of humanity, for the good of the people. But the more I saw, the more I realized that we only make such decisions to keep our power, to hang on to what we have and to make it grow as a flower in the heart of Spring, fertilized by the blood and suffering of others. It was then that I realized that if we didn't...someone else would. And I didn't even look back." He looked at her. "You've yet to tell me what the other Riders call you. You all have such interesting names for yourself, Fate, Fear...who are you? And what is your motivation in this game?"

Nora looked over at Candira and saw her asleep with Rafe, who looked more at peace now than he had been awake. He had every right to be exhausted. They'd traveled a long way and he'd revealed much about his inner pain. As she pondered Lionel's words she continued to look at them, wondering what it must be like to care for someone so much...

"I think it's odd that to most people with a title, that's not what's important when it comes to love. It seems to make the most difference when you don't have one." Here she paused and looked back to him. "You feel driven by your duty...but I suspect there's more to it than that. Duty can only do so much to motivate a person. Honor, I think, plays a part with you. More than that, as well, but I can't be quite sure." She shrugged and sipped her tea some more. "Rafe though...there's more than fear motivating him. Fear...maybe even guilt have something to do with it."

"I feel as though you underestimate the complexity of what it is you are doing...that said, I won't complain so long as we have your cooperation. My name is of little importance. For now, you may call me a friend. As for my motivation..." She smirked and put a finger to her lips, facing him again. "It's a secret."

"Some people think more of duty. I have known some people who see duty as the determining factor of people in the universe. That duty is what determines your lot in life and it should be what steers your course. I myself know there is more to life than duty but...duty is important." He smiled just a little bit. "But...maybe you're right. There is more to me and what I do than duty...I have faith. Belief that what I am doing is right. That you and your house deserve to continue."

"It is possible I have set into motion things that are beyond my ken. But that was little consequence now, I believe in what I am doing. And that is enough." He chuckled softly. "That's fine, I like a little surprise." He rose slowly. "Mmm, well...we shouldn't linger, lest someone find us. You know the way out, I assume."

Nora set down her empty mug and hugged her knees looking at him. "I know you think that...but why? Why do we deserve to go on?" Though they were royalty, there wasn't anything particularly special about her family. Aside from the fact that she was an exceptional priestess, Nora was just a remotely likeable young woman. Pretty, perhaps--some might even say beautiful.

"I know all the ways in and out," she said with a smirk. "We'll be in touch." And with that she sank into the shadows and disappeared.

Lionel had to put some thought into the answer to that. "I believe in Divine Right. The gods have placed the world as it is, as it should be. Your family reigns and it is so because of the gods. If they were to feel differently, the world would be different. I will defend the order of things with my life, and that means defending your family. I have sworn it as my oath and I have never in my life gone against my word. I was born into my position, I was given my duty and honor, but my word is mine alone and no one can take it from me except myself if I dishonor it. It is the one thing all men and women have that is their own." Lionel nodded slowly as if satisfied by his own answer. He looked at her. "You should try to rest my lady, it will be a long day tomorrow and we'll have to ride hard at points to make it to Windfall Castle before dark. I'd rather not ride at night."

She listened to him, wondering if any of what he said was right or wrong--ethically speaking. But he believed it, and because he believed it, he would protect her. Somehow the answer he gave her wasn't really satisfying. Even though she was grateful, she wondered if he would feel differently if her family was overthrown. She looked up at him as he suggested she tried to rest and sighed softly. "Alright. But you should try to sleep too." With that, she stood up and went to an empty bed, feeling a little cold.

Lionel stayed up during the night keeping watch to ensure no thieves or kidnappers would try anything. He had no problems, but without conversation in the room, the sounds of the inn and revelry were made clear.

Rafe awoke in the early morning, predawn hours with a jolt, his eyes flickering open. His body was bathed in a cold sweat and his mind was fresh and a wash with what he had just dreamed. He moved a hand to shield his eyes, as if he could take away what he had seen and prevent the tears from flowing, but they they came anyways and he couldn't unsee the dream, no matter how much he wanted to, weeping and trying to do it silently.

The soft sound of Rafe's weeping woke Candira. She frowned and sat up with him. She put her arms around him and hugged him close to her. "What's wrong?" she asked softly, kissing his shoulder. "What happened, Rafe? Was it a nightmare?" She was still drowsy, but she could tell that the poor man was in trouble. She wanted to be a comfort to him, but she didn't think she was very effective at this point.

Nora slept soundly. She'd always been something of a heavy sleeper. It was doubtful the princess would wake until someone shook her or she woke on her own. She would wake wondering if Lionel had slept at all.

Rafe slowly shook his head. "Just...let me be a moment." He pulled himself from her hold. His voice was firm and insistent. Rafe didn't mean to be callous to her, but he was tired of burdening her with his emotional baggage. Still, he couldn't wipe the image of his mother from his head. And suddenly, he was concerned for his young sister. He had no idea why or reason to be concern, but her smiling face the last time he saw her wouldn't escape his mind.

Lionel's attention snapped up when he saw the lovers stirring. He heard some quiet words, but gave them their moments together, not wanting to disturb them. He walked up and to the window, checking the light outside as he had done a hundred times that night to keep his mind occupied. There was only the faintest glow of gold on the edge of the horizon through the forest. Dawn had yet to break, but it wasn't too early to get going.

She frowned softly and let him go as soon as he told her he needed a moment. It was pretty clear that he was upset, and sometimes people didn't like to be touched. So rather than stay there and feel useless, she got up and took her hair down, deciding to comb it out. She ran a brush through her hair, figuring they may as well get up since there was no way either of them would get back to sleep any time soon. Once her hair was resting in lovely waves, she looked back at him to see if he was alright.

After a few moments, Rafe tilted his head back, wiping his eyes and gathering his senses, trying to muster the strength to not fall apart again. "What hour is it?"

"About the fifth hour. No use sleeping anymore, we might as well get going. If we start soon, we might reach Windfall with some light still in the sky. I'll go get our things ready." Lionel left the room and headed downstairs.

Rafe shook his head again as if trying to get the thoughts out of his head and he started to straighten himself out and put his boots back on, hoping the noise of their getting ready would wake Nora. Rafe was all too eager to leave this place.

Candira frowned as she realized that he probably wouldn't speak to her, but at least he was moving and getting ready. The sooner they left, the better, as far as she was concerned. As Lionel got ready to leave, she nodded. "Thank you, Lionel." And with that she went to the bathroom to get dressed. Her clothes were nice and dry now, so she slipped into them and neatly folded her sleeping gown and robe before taking them back to her bag. Once everything that needed to be packed was done, she braided her hair again and went to wake Nora.

The princess woke after some shaking and name calling. With a yawn, she got out of bed and went to the bathroom to change and ready herself for the day. Moments later, she returned to find that Candira was ready. "Good morning you two," she said with a soft smile. "Where is Lionel?"

"He's getting the horses packed and ready..." Rafe said softly, almost under his breath. Rafe waited with the girls until they were ready to go, but something about him looked like he was in a foul mood, but he was trying not to sure it, putting on a good face for Candira.

When they walked downstairs, the place was mostly abandoned as such an inn would have most of its action at night. The other patrons were likely still sleeping, or left. There was a well-dressed fat man sitting in a corner seat near the stairs and Rafe learned that Lionel had checked in their key already. When Rafe turned to the door, a pair of burly man with clubs stepped in from outside in his way. The fat man rumbled with quieted laughter as he clicked his fingers on the table. "I'll tell ya what, son. I'll give ya top dollah for those fine heffers you've got..."

Something utterly snapped inside of Rafe. He rational mind simply broken at the supposed offer that the man was going to try and force him to accepted. Rafe gritted his teeth and as fast as lightning, an elbow shot out into the nearest brute's stomach. When the other raised his club, Rafe's open palm slammed up into his jaw, causing some blood to spurt out of his mouth and a tooth to fly out. Rafe disabled the one he elbowed with a fist straight to his neck, punching his trachea. Fortunately, he didn't break it.

When a third rose from his seat, Rafe grabbed a chair and flung it with ease, catching him in the face. Candira could see black feathers trailing him and a long shadow that looked like it had wings as Rafe jumped on a table, grabbed the fat man's collar and began to headbutt him viciously, relentlessly. He looked possessed...and each time he raised his head for another blow, a plume of black feathers rose up as it he had just plucked a raven.

Nora nodded and smiled pleasantly before she went to get ready, her priestess uniform covering her once more. Candira got her things together into her small pack and headed for the door once Nora was ready too. They left the room with Rafe and headed down the stairs, no one daring to speak. Both women were insulted multiple times in a single sentence from the fat man and his two lackeys. Both glared at the man until Rafe went absolutely out of his mind. He was too fast to stop from taking out the two bigger men but the two of them could work together to stop him from killing the man who'd made the offer.

"Rafe, that's enough!" Candira rushed to him with Nora and the two of them worked together to pull him away from the man, who was already bloody and unconscious at this point. If he continued to thrash and rage, Nora planned to put a spell on him to make him sleep. As for Rafe's condition...she suspected Candira would explain when she was ready.

Rafe struggled and resisted, but not for long. He growled, but got a hold of himself, angrily leaving the place. "Hope I killed the bastard..." He muttered as he wiped his face off and headed for the stables.

Lionel led their mounts to the front and stared at Rafe. "Is everything alright?! Nora..." He looked at the princess, immediately concerned for her but saw her to be at least appearing alright.

Candira shook a little and Nora was a bit disturbed herself. She healed the men so that they might live with pain and then the two women came out of the inn together rushing for the stables. When Nora saw Lionel so worried, she realized she must look frightened so she put on her best calm face and took possession of the moment. Nora knew exactly what to say.

"I'm alright, Lionel. Rafe protected us. Some men tried to buy us...and then take us by force," she said, bending the truth a bit. She was quite sure that had Rafe actually refused, they would have tried something by force. "It all happened so fast that I'm a bit shaken, but he took care of us. He got a little carried away at the end though," she said.

Candira nodded, not wanting to touch Rafe until he'd calmed down a bit more. "We had to pull him away, but it's over now. The sooner we leave the better, though. Let's get out of here." With that, she went to ride with Rafe and let Nora climb up onto the other horse with Lionel.

Lionel gave a long look at Rafe and then nodded slowly in acceptance. He mounted his horse and just as the sun's rays were creeping over the land, they were in their way. Rafe was utterly silent with a face that was halfway between a scowl and a stone serious look. Lionel looked at Candira. "Candira...it seems you were right to trust in your knight. Rafe...I thank you for Nora's safety."

The compliment seemed to snap Rafe out of his serious mood and he nodded lightly, his face softening up with the thought of the good he did instead of the wrong that could have happened. He rode close to Candira and looked at her for a moment. "You kept me from doing something bad back there...thank you."

Nora rolled her eyes a little. She got kind of tired of people talking like she wasn't there. Still she smiled at Rafe. "Yes, thank you for keeping us safe." The princess smiled softly and then controlled their horse a little. Honestly what she'd witnessed had been a little frightening. Still, she knew in her heart that she never would have been in danger.

Candira, for her part smiled and was just glad Rafe was talking to her again. She looked back at Rafe as he came a bit closer and returned his gaze. She smiled and leaned into him a bit. "Anything for you," she said softly.

Rafe was quiet for a while after that. He seemed to be stirring his own thoughts, and when he did speak again, it was low and quiet but rose to a passion-filled note.

"When I was young I cheered, I rose fast to hear.
I was eager for Empire's service might.
I left behind my home, my hands still stained with loam.
I ignored the old men's warnings not to fight.

I was young and proud, greeted by the crowd.
I was one of the great Imperial Reichstruppen.
I kissed my mother bye, and my grandfather lamented sigh,
I would not hear of any of danger's trappings.

With a march of endless boots, we left behind our youth.
Prepared to give all for land and nation.
Only now too late, the old men's warnings come to fate.
And now we clash with fearful trepidation.

The crack of handguns sound, and the roar of cannons pound.
Some fierce melee has taken me by storm.
Confusion sneaks on me, and our flags I no longer see.
Until my own blood runs out fast and warm.

Lying in the morning light, I can see life's dim blight.
Knowing this my blood starts to curd.
My friends take me if you can, comfort my mother's hand.
And bury me deep in the rich loam valleys of Konigsberg."

Lionel looked down, the words having stirred something in him. "Its a soldier's warning song, isn't it?"

Rafe nodded a bit. "Mothers and old men teach it to children in Hesse, all over the United Empire I imagine."

Lionel searched himself a bit, mentally. Recalling his early squirehood to a trained and landed knight, his own uncle, a gruff and grim warrior, but a respectable, honorable, and compassionate man who taught him a different song about the warning of the power of obedience.

"What shall we do when the enemy meet, sir?
Keep your back firm and sword ready, son.

What shall we do when they attack our homes, sir?

What shall we do when they falter and fall, sir?

What shall we do when they beg for mercy, sir?

What shall we do when they are people like us, sir?
Keep your back firm and sword ready, son."

Rafe looked at Lionel, unsure of which surprised him more, his singing or that the song showed such a warning against the power of blind following. Lionel seemed so bound to duty, it was hard to believe that he harbored such warning in him. But Rafe gave him a nod as if he understand him as only a soldier can.

Candira listened with Nora, both hearing the songs for the first time. Candira hugged Rafe a bit closer to her and leaned on him, her chin resting on his shoulder. She kissed his cheek when he finished and thought over what he might have been thinking to make him sing a warning song like that. She liked the way it sounded, and he had a charming voice. But the words were haunting and she wanted to feel him there with her, wishing he would see how much she cared. She hoped her presence was comforting.

Lionel's song was a bit surprising. The warning of following orders blindly seemed to be lost on him. Yet, he seemed to understand that not all orders were orders he could take. Nora smiled a little feeling a bit better about his believing in divine right. She only hoped that he would still feel as though she were worth protecting if a new king was chosen. She said none of this as she guided their horse. The silence between them was a bit disconcerting, so she smiled.

"How about we go a little faster, yes? We'll ride harder for a little while to give us a bit of a time advantage and then we can slow down to save the horses. Sound good?"

Rafe nodded and Lionel was already doing so, taking the lead as they ran their horses for a short while. Once they finally stopped to allow the horses to recover, Lionel looked back as if gauging how far they had gone. "That was a smart idea, Candira." He replied, smiling just a bit.

Rafe looked over at Nora and spoke softly to the princess. "So...exactly what is life like for the royals...?"

Back
Top Bottom