Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Evenings at the Library (for Wolvenrogue and PickleChiffonPie)

She blinked her eyes several times, trying to make sense of the shadow lurking at her door. It pushed open the door and then manifested into a man. The same one who had been there yesterday, or the day before, what was his name? Bobby....no just Bob. She watched him approach her.

"Please say you remember me Liz." His voice was soft, as he knelt on the floor beside her curled up form. She tilted her head to look into his eyes. She cautiously reached out her hand to touch his worried face.

“I wish I could. After you left, I thought about it, and something stirred, but I am going to need time to discover the emotions that lay just beyond my grasp.” She let her fingers stroke his face gently as she looked into his tortured eyes.

“Tell me, why was I out on the highway? Where was I going? Why? Maybe listening to you might help my memory.” She offered him a timid smile, the only olive branch she could extend to him. She wanted desperately to remember given his unyielding devotion, but it scared her as well.

Robert had brought the police reports for her, but with her tenderness to him, he felt as though he shouldn't give her those just now, those memories might be painful. Robert swallowed hard and started to tell the story. "You were on your way to your new apartment. You had just taken a job in a new town, and left me behind to finish my schooling in where we had lived. " he had started the storynear the end, but it was her only point of reference. " It was hard on both of us, it was the choice you had decided to make. We have been in love for some time". He knew this would lead to more questions, but he was going to let her go at her own pace.

She listened to him speak. There was a feeling of truth to his words. She nodded as he mentioned it had been a tough decision.

“Tell me how we met, how we fell in love.” She felt as though she were a grade school child asking for yet another story. But the truth of the matter, the story was hers, and rightfully belonged to her. She just couldn’t remember it on her own. She pulled the blanket out, and offered him to join her on the small bed. She wanted to listen to his heart beat as he spoke of them, and what had once been.

Robert was surprised, but pleased when she offered her the opportunity to join her. He climbed on to the bed and laid next to her. "we met at work" he started out, as he recounted the story of her being locked out at the library, and on through the attemped arrest, by the campus police. and their first tender night at her apartment. The love born of security that had developed between them. He paused a moment and asked, "would it be too much or me to kiss you? I have missed so terribly."

She listened to him speak. It sounded as though there was something being left out. She tilted her head to look at him as she considered his request.

“You may,” she replied softly, a blush creeping into her cheeks. From his words she knew they had a tender history, and he was desperately missing the person she used to be. She moistened her lips as she waited for him to kiss her, a twinge of familiarity over coming her as he began to bend to her mouth

Bob leaned in and kissed her gently , savoring the moment. Just the touch of her lips lifted his spirit, and he couldn't help murmering "Oh Liz" as he broke the kiss. As he looked into her eyes, his own shown brightly for the first time in weeks, and he searched hers for the recognition he wanted so badly. "there is a lot more to that story" he said, but not all of it is pretty, and some of it will hurt. How much do you want to hear?" he ask her as he took her hand in his. It felt so good to hold her hand.

He looked into her eyes and brushed the stray hairs from her face. "We have had a pretty rough time, you and I."

She enjoyed the kiss. The taste of his mouth was comforting, and the way they seemed to know how to respond to one another spoke volumes. She smiled as she rested back against him.

“Tell me everything, tell me why it’s been rough, I want to know.” Her voice was soft as she gently encouraged him to tell her everything.

She wanted to know, how had she come to the point that moving was a better option than staying with someone who loved her so. She needed to understand why the pieces she did seem to remember had nothing to do with him, or at least so he said. She stifled a yawn as she slipped her arm about his waist, getting more comfortable nestled in next to him.

"you were almost raped, twice, once by the campus police, and a second time by a stranger. I was able to stop both rapes, but they effected you terribly, and landed me in the hospital once. That's where we first met Maxine, the woman who was here the other night". Robert hoped he could explain that whole situation and make her understand, how it was possible for him to love two women. He told her the story of the night the three spent in bed together. Then he explained what followed, and Liz's leaving. Of course the story was told from his perspective. He teared up as he spoke of how she had told him she was leaving, and that was the last he had seen her when she had full possession of her memory.

She listened to him talk. The moments he spoke about difficult to hear, and obviously were difficult for him to share. But none of it sounded familiar. Not the rapes not anything. She was attentive though listening for one thing that might prick her memory. She frowned as she listened to him speak about being in the hospital. Something nibbled on her subconscious.

“Bobby?” She said softly. “Can I ask you a question?” She bit at her lip, but she needed to know something. “The campus officer, he had a brother didn’t he?” She saw the question tore at Bob’s soul, but she needed to know the answer, and he was the only one who could give it. She waited, holding her breath for him to either confirm or deny her sucpicion.

Bob's lips quivered at the question. "Yes he was one of the rapists. but I killed him with my ball bat." the memory was painful for him, and he had wanted to forget it forever, but for her he recounted the story, of the brother's attack, and his rape of Maxine. He could not understand how such a vile man as John could have become so important to her that she could remember him, when she could not remember Robert. On the other hand, it did help to explain how Maxine could have come into their life and relationship. He was amazed she had not question him more about his devotion to both her and Maxine.

She listened to Bob, explain about the brother. She nodded gently, that explained her dreams of the uniform. She got the feeling there was more to the story, but did not press. What she had wanted she got what she needed a reference for why she’d been dreaming of a uniform, when Bob was not an officer of any kind. She looked up at him.

“I know this is hard, it sounds as though it has been a very difficult time. Thank you for telling me about it though. It helps to know. I hope I will remember and be the person you so desperately miss. “ She pulled away from him and stood. Pacing her room she had a look of concentration on her face.

“I think you need to go, get some rest, but I would appreciate if you came and saw me again, soon.” She offered a soft smile. He looked as though he needed a good days sleep and she knew she was feeling exhausted from the tales he had recounted.

Without thinking, Bob leaned in to kiss her, before she could react, their lips had met. He savored the kiss as he had the last. "Liz I love you so much!" he said. He broke the kiss and softly touched her face.

"I'll let you rest and return in the morning " he said. He looked at her longingly, and turned to go.

~~~~~

Bob found a hotel near the hospital and called the house. He wanted to talk to Maxine and let her know what was happening and how Liz had reacted. He hoped she would be pleased as he was that Liz's memory was slowly returning.

She felt odd about the kiss he had placed on her lips. It had felt familiar, yet she felt no emotion to it. At least not the emotion he seemed to have experienced. She retreated to her bed after he had left and pulled the blankets up tight. She closed her eyes. Maybe the information would help. She was asleep in moments.
~~
Maxine heard the phone ringing and went running for it. She answered slightly breathlessly.

“Hello?!!” She answered, then sighed a huge breath of relief as she heard Bob’s voice. “Bob,” she cut him off. “I’m so glad you are okay, I was worried about you, did anything happen with Liz?”

Bob started to talk with Maxine. She remembers some things, but honestly she really doesnt remember me. She keeps remembering the cop that raped you. I don't know why. I thought that guy was dead, but he is coming back to haunt us in her memory. I don't know what to do. I'm at a hotel for the night and I'm going to talk to her in the morning. Right now i wih you were here. I miss you already" he said.

When Bob had hung up the phone and lay on the bed, he was confused. He didnt know who to think about , He really missed them both.

Maxine hung up the phone with Bob, and contemplated. She hit the call back number on the phone and found out which hotel he was in. She got dressed packing herself a bag for an overnight stay, and then got into the car. She made the long trip to the town where Liz was in hospital, and where Bob was staying. She walked into the lobby and luck was on her side. The young man at the desk was cherry and flirty and she managed to flirt her way into getting a key for Bob’s room. She was pleasantly flattered that while pregnant she was still able to snag the looks.
Carefully she opened the door to the room. The small sliver of light from the hall illuminating her way.

"Who is that?!" Robert asked alarmed that someone was coming in. He snapped on the light. "Maxine! Oh I'm so glad to see you. You didn't have to come, but I'm so glad you did. He held his arms out to her. Maybe seeing you will help Liz remember tomorrow, and tonight we can be together. I should never have left you at home." as they finished their hug he started undressing her so she could join him in the bed. As she did, things seemed so much better.

Maxine settled naked into Bob’s arms. She held her tongue that seeing her would help Liz. At this point nothing but time would help her, but she was glad Bob’s mood seemed to lighten. She wrapped her arms about him, gently cuddling him and soothing him into sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a rough day for her love, and she vowed to help him through it the best way she could.
~~
She woke with the first noise of the birds chirping. She looked about her room. She was in her room at the hospital. She remembered Bobby had visited her yesterday. She remembered the stories he had told her, but that’s all they were. Stories involving some other heroine. She leaned back in her bed. Closing her eyes she tried to think on nothing, and just let images come to her. She sighed. Still nothing. A fat tear rolled down her cheek. She just wanted her life back, to remember,

Maxine and Bob woke, and took a shower. Bob was so glad she was there with him. He didn't know what would happen today, and he just hoped against hope that somehow Liz would remember something. He kissed Maxine as they dressed and they went to the Hospital. Bob knocked on the door and seeing Liz was awake, he took Maxine with him and they went in. "Liz this is Maxine, the young woman in the stories I told you about us yesterday. She lives with us."

She watched Bobby come in with the woman who had been with him the first day. She nodded and smiled to them both. Her eyes roved over them. They seemed quite the happy couple.

“Please sit down Bobby, Maxine.” She said softly. She wasn’t too sure what to do with them. And suddenly she felt awkward for having shared a kiss with him yesterday. She flushed slightly.

“Bobby told me you suffered through a lot of trauma, seemingly because of me. I’m sorry, more than you know. Thank you for being there for him through this difficult time.” She wasn’t sure if her words would help, but she did understand the other woman was in a difficult position as well.

Bob saw the look of discomfort on her face. "We all lived happily together before, " he said to Liz. "I love you both very much. Do you remember any of our happy times together? " he asked. Keeping his arm around Maxine, he walked up close to her on the bed and ran his fingers through Liz's hair. More than anything he wanted all three of them to be happy together again, he didn't want to give either of them up. Bob suddenly found himself at aloss for words. Maxine took Liz' s hand mostly to make Bob feel better, and said, "Liz its ok, it will be alright.

She looked at Bob. He seemed so torn.

“I’m sorry. I’m tired. I think I need to rest again.” She said as she turned away uncertain. Maxine let go of her hand and gently tugged Bob away. Maxine leaned in close to Bob’s ear. “She needs to rest; it’s a lot of her to take in.” She guided Bob from the hospital room to the car. She’d only really seen amnesiacs from a far. But her experience with other brain injured people was they need lots of rest and frequently in order to help the healing process.

She heard them leave, but didn’t get much more of a thought edgewise before sleep over took her. It was mid afternoon when she woke to the sound of the nurse bringing her lunch. She rubbed her eyes feeling refreshed. The nurse smiled at her.

“How are you feeling now?” The nurse asked smiling. Liz smiled back and said, “fine.” Then she paused.

“My name, it’s Elizabeth isn’t it?” She felt a sense of wonder. For the first time since she had woken up, she knew her name!!!

Maxine had pulled Bob out of the room, and taken him back to the hotel. He pulled within himself a bit seeing Liz as she had been. He wanted her well and it was hard for him to be patient. Having Maxine there helped. She sat on the bed watching TV and he simplylaid his head in her lap. He loved the way she ran her fingers through his hair and as he laid against her belly, he could feel the twins inside her kicking. It made him smile.

Maxine stroked his hair, until she heard the slow rhythmic sounds of his breathing, indicating he’d fallen asleep. She wished there was more she could do for him.
“It’s going to take time, love.” She whispered softly to his sleeping form. “She’s going to need a lot of time to recover on her own, no one can rush her.” She flicked to the news and watched a bit before succumbing to the heat of Bob’s sleeping form next to her.
~~
Liz. Elizabeth. Liz.

She had gone by Liz.

That was what felt right when she said it allowed. She’d been so happy when the nurse had agreed that she knew her name. Now the matter of everything else. She concentrated on the stories Bob had told her, but nothing seemed to ring a bell. However, she was not discouraged. Liz took out a small book the nurse had given her, and wrote the date. And her name.

I know my name. Elizabeth. I remembered this today. I know nothing else. But this is more than I knew yesterday.

She looked at her hand writing. She nearly cried, it was such a simple sad statement, but also damningly true.

Robert woke early, and snuggled against Maxine for a few minutes. When she stirred, he asked her "Do you think our being here is helping?" He was thinking that it might be even better if Liz were to come home with them. He lay there with Maxine wishing that all this trouble would come to an end.

They got up and dressed, and had breakfast together, and then went back to the hospital. When they got to her floor, the nurse stopped them. "She is gone! We have security looking for her, she probably just wandered off. Do either of you two have any clue where she might go?" the nurse asked. Bob and Maxine looked at each other and shook there heads. Bob was worried. "Maxine lets see if we can find her."

Liz had gotten dressed, spoken to her nurse at breakfast and then decided a walk was in order. She wanted to see if the fresh air would help her. She left the building and walked down the block. She had gone quite a ways, when a bookstore caught her eye. She wandered into it.

Trailing her fingertips along the spines in the section, she knew which authors were coming next, and which book was the newest. She gazed at them in awe. The books spoke to her.

She was a librarian.

She shook her head. Did she remember that on her own? Or was that information from Bobby’s stories. She didn’t know, but the statement was true. She wandered the isles of each section, looking at every book, and absorbing each one. She lost track of time as she wandered and let herself feel normal for once in what seemed like ever.

Back
Top Bottom