Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

an officer (gentleman?) and the lady ( picklechiffon and wolvenrogue)

Robert put the dulcimer aside as she served dinner. They sat and ate and watched the fire. After Dinner, Robert had Elizabeth sit next to him on the sofa in front of the fire. Wrapping his arm around her he put the dulcimer across both of their laps and began to play a simple love ballad and sung it softly to her in his rather husky voice. It was the story of an old soldier and his young bride, and his finally coming home to her. It seemed altogether fitting for their life.

"I Love you", he said softly at the end of the song.

“I love you too Robert,” she said softly, her hands smoothing over her belly. She had begun to feel pains today, like she hadn’t felt before, but resolved not to say anything until they got worse. She handed him a small parcel. It wasn’t much since she’d been house bound since the snow had fallen, but she had managed to put together a small gift for him, of items to keep his instrument cared for. She had one more thing but she was saving that for Christmas day.

“Open it, this was for tonight and then I have something for you tomorrow.” She smiled, grinning at the surprise on his face

Robert to the package from her and feeling sheepish that he didn't have something wrapped for her, and he carefully unwrapped it. Inside he found a little bottle of expensive lemon oil. "for the dulcimer! he said smiling, and kissed her. He took a few drops of the oil from the bottle and began to hand rub it into the instrument making its finish almost glow. "You made her blush! Robert said referring to the dulcimer in the feminine. See how smooth and soft the finish is now?
The smell of the oil combined with the scent of the Christmas tree, made a wonderful fragrance.
He got up a moment and looked under the bed. He took out something and wrapped it in a hand towel, sat down and handed it to her. "For you," he said. "open it" (it was a pair of hand carved knitting needles he had made him self from elk horn)

Elizabeth ran her hands over the knitting needles, tracing them with her finger tips.

“They are beautiful, Robert. Thank you.” She gently pulled him closer and gave him a soft kiss. As their lips met an other tremor of pain lanced through Elizabeth’s body. She softly hissed in complaint. She smiled weakly at Robert as concern flashed in his eyes.

“I think the baby is upset that it’s missing Christmas this year.” She smiled, trying to ease the worry in his face. She wasn’t sure what was wrong, but it was still, only an inconvenience rather than a concern

"Its early for you to be having pains," he said. "too early. I think you need to rest." Helping her to stand, he walked Elizabeth to the bed, and helped her out of her dress and underclothes. Taking a clean nightgown from the shelf he slipped it over her head and then helped her into the bed. "I'll take care of the fire and the cabin, you just lay down and rest" he said.

Robert moved the coffee pot from the fire and banked it for the night, and put away the dry dishes, then came to the bed and got out of his clothes. "Tomorrow, you stay in bed" he said sternly "I want you to rest. I mean it!"

Elizabeth just nodded, tomorrow she would rest. Obviously something wasn’t right, and she could feel the deep weariness in her bones. She curled into Robert, cocooning herself into his strong solid body. It was too early for the pains to start, and it was concerning for her. She pulled his hand to rest under her breast but just over her belly.

“Tomorrow I will rest, and let you handle things, then we will be better, you’ll see.” She softly whispered as she closed her eyes.

Robert climbed in to bed with Elizabeth, and cuddled up. It was a cold night and the warmth of each other's bodies felt good. Morning seemed to come quickly and Robert got out of bed carefully trying hard not to wake Elizabeth, wanting her to rest. he built up the fire, and started bacon for breakfast, and a large pail of water for her bath. As the coffee boiled he mixed up batter for pancakes.

Elizabeth pulled the blankets tighter around herself once the source of most of her warmth got out of bed. Her mind was in the throes of dreams or nightmares which ever one wanted to call them.

She dreamed of being dead, of watching Robert struggle to raise their daughter, she dreamed of being held captive by her long dead first husband, being used by his friends then discarded. She tossed and turned, the pain in her side never really ebbing, just fading a bit. The smells of breakfast though soon roused her. She sat up and went to say good morning, but ended up covering her mouth, and retching into the basin beside the bed. She smiled sheepishly at Robert.

“I think I may need to wait for breakfast, my love.” She said softly, as she tied her air back, the sick feeling in her stomach not going away.

Robert was almost relieved when she vomited. He had feared that it was the baby coming, but as unpleasant as it was simple stomach sickness seemed easier to deal with. He pulled the bacon from the fire and moved to be beside her and comfort her as she struggled with the nausea she was feeling. If it continued, he resolved to take her to town, to see the doctor.

For now, he he offered her what comfort he could.

Elizabeth let herself be comforted by Robert. Then smiling softly at him she said, “I think I should try to eat and see if that helps.”

She gently got up off the bed and with his help moved to the small table and sat down to eat. She kept her face neutral as she picked at the food, but it still wasn’t sitting right with her. After eating what she could she sat back into bed, propped up with some pillows to rest, her color still blanched and ghostly compared to her normal completion. Her eyes fluttered closed as she tired to ease the motion she felt in her head.

Robert finished his breakfast and began packing the buggy for a ride into town. He padded the the seat with blankets and took extras, then he picked Elizabeth up and carried her to the buggy. He bundled her up warm and banking the fire in the fireplace, he closed up the cabin, and took of for town through the snow. There was a storm blowing in and hurried as best he could, down the mountain and into town.

Elizabeth was chattering, her teeth clattering in her head, as Robert drove them into town. Sweat poured down her brow as she tried to keep warm, hugging her swollen body into Robert’s. She had seen the overt concern in his eyes, a look she hadn’t seen since she’d been his in the desert.

She didn’t like it.

Not one bit.

Trying to remain conscious she held on to his leg for dear life, as he raced them closer to town in the ragging storm. Had she not been petrified, Elizabeth was sure she’d have laughed at the circumstances. But there was something wrong, very, very, wrong. Knowing that, killed any humour she might have been able to find.

“The baby,” she softly whispered. “Please let the baby be okay.”

Robert pulled the buggy up to the doctor's residence and office, and scooped Elizabeth from the seat. He hurriedly carried her to the door, and not bothering with the bell burst inside. "Doc! Doc! he yelled excitedly. Something is wrong with Elizabeth, terribly wrong! Doc ! where are you?" Robert was about to panic when the doc came rambling down the stairs. "Hold your horses!" Doc said thinking it wasn't as serious as Robert was making it. That changed when he saw how pregnant Liz was and her pale grey complexion. "put her on the exam table!" doc said as he hurried to unwrap her so he could get a closer look. Robert waited , his hands trembling to find out what was the matter. "will she be alright doc? what about the baby?"

Elizabeth couldn’t focus, the room was spinning beneath her feet as Robert yelled at the doctor. She blinked a couple of times in rapid succession and then the world started caving in on her. She sat heavily onto the exam table.

“Robert,” she said weakly swaying slightly before succumbing to the darkness and crumpling to the table.

The doctor looked her over, and then pulled Robert aside. "She may not survive this." he said. "We have a tough decision to make. We can try and save them both, and risk losing them both, or we can save the baby for sure, but doing that will almost certainly kill her." "Your asking me to decide that?! How can I possibly make such a choice?" Robert's face was fallen, after all they had been through to loose he now?
"No! Doc you save them both by god! you save them both!" The doctors hands shook. " " She has a fever he said, she needss to be cooled down. Get her undressed, we'll open the windows. If the fever breaks they both might survive, but it might just stop her heart." Robert tore at her clothes, leaving he almost naked on the table while Doc opened the windows. Doc took rubbing alcohol and wiped down her skin. Elizabeth shook, and her eyes rolled back in her head. Her body slowly cooled. They waited for what seemed like hours until finally she was cool and her skin began to turn pink. Doc listened to her heart. "She's alive at least he said , and the baby seems fine. Her heart may be damaged though, only time will tell."

Elizabeth was restless, and then suddenly it seemed as if she was not. She’d been on fire, but there was now a soothing cool breeze on her skin. Cautiously she opened her eyes. She was in the medical office yet, and she was covered only by a thin sheet of cotton. She pulled the sheet to her chest, as she tried to sit up. Oh that was not a good idea.

Thinking better of it, she lay back down. From that position she could see Robert, slumped to the side in a chair across the room. Her hand went to her belly and rested there. She could feel the baby still, that was a relief. She wondered what had happened. She knew they had come to see the doctor, but once she had gotten into the exam room, Elizabeth couldn’t remember anything that had gone on.

She yawned and the slight noise was enough to cause a movement from Robert.

Robert looked up "Elizabeth? are you alright? You had a terrible fever and I almost lost you both" We had to cool you down and fast. We really don't know what caused it, but thank god your still alive, and the baby too. I'll get the Doc" Robert went out of the room and called the Doc in. "Elizabeth is awake!" he said. "your a lucky young woman, and you have a fine husband "the doc said. "your off your feet till the baby is born. That fever weekened your heart, you cant take any chances. Do you understand me!"

Elizabeth frowned at the doctor.

“Weakened my heart?” She wrapped her hands about her belly protecting it. “You’re sure the baby is okay?” She looked to Robert, desperate to be reassured that their child would be okay. She didn’t know what had caused the sickness, but if she needed to stay off her feet, then that is what she would do. She reached for Robert’s hand and held it close and tight, as the Doctor gave them both instructions. She nodded dutifully.

“I will do whatever you say Doctor. We both want the baby healthy as well as myself.” She smiled and stroked Robert’s hand. They had made it through his paralysis, they would make it through this, she was sure of it.

Robert helped her to dress, and then scooped her up and carried her to the buggy and wrapped her in several blankets for the trip home to the cabin. He climbed in next to her. " I love you Elizabeth." he said. "we will keep that baby safe no matter what, and you as well. I don't care what we have to do. He drove her slowly back to the cabin, and carried her inside, got her undressed, and put her to bed. He built up the fire then took off his clothes and climbed in with her.

Elizabeth welcomed the feel of the bed beneath her. She was exhausted. The baby was exhausted; she could feel it resting nearly eerily still. She pressed a bit on her swollen belly and felt a small kick of displeasure against her ribs. She winced but smiled too, the pain a reminder that her condition was not just about her. She relaxed into Robert, and let the heat of his body sooth her into a sleep.

As her eyes closed she offered a silent payer to the stars that she be strong enough to deliver her baby, healthy and happy, into this world.

(if you'd like to skip forward close to delivery time, that would be fine :))

The next several weeks, Robert saw to it that Elizabeth followed the doctor's instruction, and got plenty of rest, staying off her feet, He fed her bathed her and saw to her every need. Then one evening about two am he woke to a splash and a wet bed. Elizabeth had broken her water, and following Doc's instructions he got her dressed in warm dry clothing, and wrapped her in blankets and drove her slowly to town. Despite her groaning in pain periodically, he did his best to remain calm and drive carefully into town. When they arrived he carried her into the docs office and placing her on the exam table, said "I'll be right back my darling" and squeezing her hand went upstairs and woke the Doctor.

Elizabeth moaned softly as she clutched against her belly. The waves of pain were getting stronger. She tried to keep calm though, as Robert went to wake the Doctor. First time labour was supposed to take a long time wasn’t it? She felt the overwhelming need to push before the men reappeared so did so, and then the pain seemed to come faster and quicker.

“Robert!!!” She called as he still hadn’t reappeared with the Doctor. She needed him close to help her through this.

Robert came running, the doctor close behind in his nightshirt. He looked at the despeate look in her eyes and lifted her dress, to see the babies head beginning to appear. "Oh my God!" Robert exclaimed at the sight. The baby was coming quickly now and he held Elizabeth's hand as her body trembled with the stress of labor. Suddenly the baby was out, and Robert watched in horror as pools of blood came with it. Elizabeth's color drained from her face. OH God no! please dear God no! Help her doc please!!!! He pleaded and prayed, He held her to him not letting go. OHHH GOD NO! PLEASE!

Elizabeth felt the rush of fluid after the pop of the baby. She knew something wasn’t right. Even more so the concern on Robert’s face said volumes more about her condition than anything else.

“The baby,” she whispered. “Is the baby okay?” She closed her eyes, the effort of talking taking it’s toll.

She wanted to see her child, to see the creation that had come from the love she and Robert had. She knew she didn’t have long, even breathing seemed to be difficult. She tried to remain focused as Robert took a bundle from the doctor and helped hold it into her arms. The baby was pink and was perfect. She was small, but her nose was pert, her eyes closed and her little bow mouth resting after her exertion. Elizabeth sighed as she touched her daughter’s face. Whispering softly words of a prayer to keep them safe and help them love again, Elizabeth closed her eyes for a final time.

Robert watched as Elizabeth smiled the closed her eyes and fell silent. He leaned down and kissed her, and softly said "I love you" he said as she slipped away. As her arms grew limp, Robert took thier baby from her and cuddled her in his arms. Tears were running in waves from his eyes. Some of grief and others of joy. He had defended Elizabeth with his own life from all manor of trouble, but this was beyond him. He leaned down and kissed her one last time. The love of his life was gone now, and a new life rested quietly in his arms. He worried at how he could possibly care for someone so delicate.

Back
Top Bottom