Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

Ruby shrugged, "But tell whom exactly? I mean we're both over 16, neither of us are hunters, I guess I'm just confused. I could always stay in the parlour while you finish eating? I'll wait for you there."

"Well at least Aurora and my parents I guess, but I don't know if it's something the king would need too" She shrugged.
"I suppose if you want, but why not return to the others?"

Ruby looked surprised. "Geez, I thought only us royals had to worry about our parents checking up on us... My mom runs the whole country of Cordonia, King Gregor runs a whole realm of the country of England with King Richard in charge of the whole country of England, there's even a king each of Gaul, and Iberia, and Greece, for pity's sakes. You mean you really have to let your parents know where you're going to be, too?"

She finally shook her head. "I've said what I need to to Olivia, Avenger, Dame Calla Grovershire although I guess that's also Duchess, isn't it? Laird Clara and Princesses Diana and Sapphire. What else do I need to tell or say to them? Sides, like they can't change the seating arrangements. I'll wait for you in the parlour. Besides, Olivia seems smitten with Ethel. I don't want to interfere."

It seemed like Ruby needed to take her own advice about being assertive, although Olivia, Diana, Calla the Avenger and Aurora were the main ones to give Clair the most assertive training. If only they'd spread it around some...

"Oh? well after I was poisoned and stuff I figured they might be a bit worried, plus this is the longest I have been away from them, I lived at the shop my whole life before this, and never left home without my parents knowing. I guess it's more like habit and stuff" She admitted, feeling a little ashamed.

"Well, like umm, even if Olivia seemed to like Ethel, that does not mean she couldn't like you. Maybe she thinks you only like me or something, and maybe Ethel does not like her in return. I know I am the last one who should be saying this but like, have you asked her? or any of them directly as you did with me? Maybe it was just easier with me because I am less intimidating?" She suggested.
"I can go with you if you want to try" She offered.

Ruby blushed. "Well, maybe I asked Laird Clara, and Princess Sapphire, cuz the Scot is all bark and no bite and Princess Sapphire is so approachable... But the others, I'm kinda afraid of them, especially Diana. I mean she's an Amazon, and, well, Olivia is Olivia, a Nevrakis, and our family hasn't had much luck with the Nevrakis family." Sounds like excuses. Princess Ruby would rather be safe with a vigilante hero, inventive merchant, a soft princess or a Scot than anyone who would truly challenge her.

"Well if there is one thing I know, is that most times the worst choice is the one you do because it's easy, if let's say, you had no fear and your family had no rivals, and all the girls were equally approachable for you, though nothing about them has changed, who would you want to talk to?" She asked.

Ruby opened her mouth and shut it again. Then she got a perplexed look on her face. She furrowed her brow and finally answered Clair and surprised herself... Her chickening out around the other girls seemed to be what's best for her country of the choices there! "What's best for Cordonia, of course. We could always use an extra ally, to strengthen our army, just in case, so that would be, Calla Avenger and Dame Duchess Calla. Laird Clara since we could always also help Scotland if need be, Princess Diana or Cassandra, because, well, Amazons; but for love, inventions, AND trade abilities: You."

She suddenly blushed, shrinking into herself. "I'm pretty sure my mom, Queen Kenna of Cordonia, might side with you on taking the easy way out... But... I mean... Can't argue with facts..."

Clair blushed hearing her response.
"Oh, I well umm, are you certain? I honestly think you can do much better than me, I am afraid I may be somewhat of a disappointment and I do not want you to regret it, if I am your choice" She asked, unsure what else to say so she started to talk about herself as if she were a piece of equipment for sale.

Ruby shook her head. "You can never disappoint me, Clair..." Ruby said quietly, indeed saddened by the words. Disappointed that Clair thought of herself that way? No, but definitely saddened. "Didn't I ask you to make something that Mom could use in battle? Aren't you making things for Olivia and Millie? Aren't you working for Avenger, and inventing for Doctor Aurora? Didn't you come up with the idea for fruit juice addition instead of mint with our similar wine to the Beaumont wine?"

"Well umm, yeah I did do all those things, and about the thing your mother can use in battle, that is what I was going to show you when we went back today. Or at least show my progress on, maybe you could even help, admittedly despite my father being a warrior type I am not very battle-minded, so combat-related things don't come as easily to me. But I can do it" She assured, either getting distracted or trying to subconsciously change the topic off her accomplishments.

Ruby smiled and nodded. "Then, there you are. I'm sure whatever you have planned for Queen Kenna she'll appreciate. Doctor Aurora already does, and Olivia has those fancy holders now for her stilettos.¹"

"But, go ahead and eat. I'll see you in the parlour when you're ready."

1-A type of thin short dagger as stiletto heels haven't been invented yet.

Clair nodded.
"If you are certain that you don't want to join me in returning, then yes I will see you later then." She nodded.
"But you can return to the table whenever if you change your mind, I am sure everyone would be happy to see you, if you want that is, no pressure" She replied, wanting to make sure she knew she was welcome back but not wanting to force it further.

All eyes were trained on Clair upon her return, with the king giving a simple eyebrow raise without asking how Ruby was, and both Cordonian Doctors, Lt Arden and Aurora Service clearing their throats while looking askance to her.

Olivia gave Princess Calla who was seated right next to Clair, a sharp elbow to spur her to ask, but all the hero could do was grimace and hiss quietly, "Oi, Liv, watch me side, aye?!"

Clair took her seat, embarrassingly giving a gentle wave as everyone had their eyes on her. Unfortunately, Clair's lack of experience in social situations made it so the subtle gestures they managed to signal missed the mark as she simply would start to eat.

Ethel on the other hand looked at the others and quickly picked up what was on their minds, and after seeing none of them seemed to speak up, and Clair did not seem to catch on herself, she took charge.
"So, Did you manage to catch up to her?"

"Hmm?" Clair swallowed the food in her mouth before replying.
"Oh, umm, yeah, she umm, didn't want to return to dinner, unfortunately. Though perhaps if some of you girls want more specifics, I told her I would join her after eating, you could accompany me and show your concern for her" She replied, looking toward Olivia for a moment as she said this.

Clara, who Ruby had already said was all bark and no bite, apparently had to say something about that. "Jes lik a Cordonian, she is. Wul rather skip resta th LUNCH, cuz she got er feelin's hurt, then be a lady aboot it."

The two Cordonians still at the lunch table, had completely opposite reactions, which Clair was sure to notice along with anyone else. Lt Arden, who was just as Cordonian as Aurora and the princess, chuckled and raised his goblet to the Scot in a toast, while Aurora sat there, looking straight at Clara, wide-eyed, mouth agape and with what sounded like a "tch!!" coming from her throat.

Arden shook his head at Aurora. "You're kind of proving her point about Cordonian women, Aurora... It was just a joke." He glanced at Clara. "A Cordonian man would never do that, Laird Clara."

Clair felt bad hearing what the others were saying, internally she wanted to tell them they should not clump people all into categories like that based on the place they come from, but she was too scared of the confrontation.

However, Ethel did speak up loud enough for them both.
"Oi lass! if yer goin ta insult a lady, at least target the person, to her face, and not the land behind her back. The ones who talk shit about an entire people, end up being very disagreeable, and if I hear that shit again, we're going to have a problem, think about that. Also really? a man wouldn't do that? Many men from every place are practically obsessed with judging others based on their land, as are women, and every single one of them, idiots. Despite both of you coming from different lands you both seem to only know how to categorize people and insult based on that. It's bloody pathetic."

This made Clair almost sink into her chair, not comfortable with conflict at all.

Arden raised his eyebrow. "Are you from Cordonia? A man from there would not skip lunch because he got his feelings hurt. In fact our Queen, Kenna, is the only woman I know who wouldn't, she'd, much like you, want someone to prove what they're saying is true. I'm afraid in the case of the dear princess, the Cordonian Ruby apple, of which she's named, fell far from the tree."

Aurora, knowing she WAS proving Arden's point about Cordonian women, quietly found the rest of her stew more fascinating than the people around her.

If Clair ever saw a picture (sic, painted portrait) of Kenna, either as a Cordonian Knight or as the queen herself, she'd remember that her skin was olive in colour with raven hair, much like Sapphire's, yet Ruby was a little more fair in complexion with almost yellowish orange hair, not quite like Aurora's which also had bits of brown and red in hers, making her hair almost rust when the strands blended together.

The two could almost (but aren't) be sisters!

Clair too found her meal more interesting as the discussions went on, not wanting to be involved in any argument.

Ethel, however, was not so averse to confrontation
"Not from, been there though. Even if what you say is true for the Cordonian Princess it's completely irrelevant to my argument. You're standing there on your high horse claiming, No Cordonian man would ever do this or that. And I am just saying that is a load of shit, unless you lot started to banish people for those actions, or your population has shrunken and you know every man personally, you can't possibly know that. My issue Sir, is talking from your rear and trying to boost yourself up by pushing others down."

Clair's eyes would peek up, looking at Aurora who she noticed was also in her meal.

Apparently, Aurora had had enough, and again proved Arden right by slamming her spoon down, saying "excuse me" and left the table, before looking at Clair almost pleading, to follow her.

At the same time Princess Sapphire just looked between the two arguing, pretty much intrigued as Calla Avenger gently poked Clair with her elbow and excused herself as well.

Olivia just shrugged, smirking at Ethel, and quipped, "About time I saw more backbone around here!"

Arden shook his head. "Typical Lythikan."

Olivia's smirk grew. "Why, yes I am! Thank you for noticing!"

Diana had been just sitting and eating as she watched events unfold, more curious about how everything would go down.

Clair noticed others leaving and with the help of Calla's poke, got up as well, following Aurora.

"Oh yeah, if these traits of yours are so dependable, where do you think I am from huh?" Ethel asked crossing her arms.

Arden steepled his fingers, drumming them against each other as he eyed Ethel.

"Be cautious where you say, Lieutenant. You don't want to stir up a hornet's nest." Cassandra warned, knowing that just because Ethel may act like it, it didn't mean she was from a warrior country.

"Where you're from? I just know by your demeanor and accent, where you ARENT from. You're not from England, Scotland, Cordonia, Lythikos or an Amazonian tribe country like Themiscyra or Brittania Amazona. You also don't have an Irish or Nordic dialect. There are several countries that warriors come from in Eastern Europe, Africa and several islands scattered about around the main continent. Any number of which you can call home." Arden stated matter-of-factly. "Attitude speaks louder than skin colour. So yes, despite being Caucasian with red hair, you very well could even be from Africa. Most likely Northern or Central. Maybe even Asia. So then, my dear, ball's back in your court." Clearly, Arden was well traveled.

Gregor had heard enough. "I think that's enough of that, then." After a clearing of his throat, "Let's just say that you both have made your points, with the only other Cordonian woman leaving the table in a huff, and frankly, Doctor, you have been acting a bit like an arse, and we'll call your little debate a draw, aye? After all, you've also caused the hero, The Crimson Avenger, an English woman, to exit the table."

Olivia grumbled under her breath, "ruined my fun .."

Ethel raised an eyebrow to him as he started to think, and listened arms crossed as he replied.

After his speech, she smirked, he was certainly well-traveled but he couldn't possibly satisfy Ethel's question but before she could give her reply Gregor spoke up, giving her an even better option, not giving him the satisfaction of a response, she knew, know it all men like him craved verification of their knowledge, and even saying he was wrong would give him more to then shift his guess, but no response was truly the best option.

"Of course King Gregor, this discussion ends here as you say, a very generous gift to Mr. Arden. And with that, It might be time the rest of the women left this table" She stood up, though no longer possessing her intimidating size she offered a leaving bow to the King and turned to leave.

Mrs. Handler too got up as well as Mr. Handler, however, Mr. Handler walked over toward the Arden.
"Word of advice, don't make enemies that previously admitted they were hired to kill people, just a heads up" He gave a friendly tap on his shoulder before going to leave as well.
"My King" He gave a traditional warrior salute to the King as he left, an old habit from his warrior days.

Gregor, having been one of the knights Handler worked with, both as prince and king, returned the familiar salute, as the other ladies also arose and left the table, most to get their hounds and return to the hunt.

Meanwhile, Clair would find Dr. Aurora doing what appeared to be rage cross-stitching, and from the design, an orchid.

Calla took a deep breath and also entered the parlour and plopped next to her but in a chair.

Ruby watched also looked at Clair wondering if she should make a break for it, and maybe drag Clair with her.

Her eyes went wide as Calla finally slammed a fist into the arm of her chair and hissed, "Arrghh!! Are all men know it all idiots?!"

Aurora glanced over and scoffed, continuing stitching her orchid picture without missing a beat.

"My father, and maybe yours as I don't know him that well, are probably the ONLY two men in all of England with a lick of common sense!" Avenger hissed, not meaning to be terse with Clair.

Ruby's eyes widened even more.

Aurora meticulously laid her cross-stitching to the side, sighed, and said curtly, "Whether that's true or no, princess, you don't need to go around biting our heads off. We didn't wrong you now, nor four years ago."

Calla held her scowl, but nodded all the same. "Then .. it behooves me to remain silent." She finally growled.

Aurora picked up her cross-stitching. "Wise words." As she started her needlework, she glanced quickly to Clair. "I'm afraid none of us are okay, right now, Clair... Please, if you wish to join us, sit quietly in our presence in solidarity as we... }ahem{... Stew." She focussed back on her needlework.

"Or show me what you are planning with the invention for my mother, the queen of Cordonia?" Ruby offered.

Back
Top Bottom