Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In the Hyborian Age | Conan 2d20 | OOC

Result: Bandit discovers Asenath and attacks her.
Choices:
  • Do nothing,
  • Give 2 Doom to reverse decision and gain surprise,
  • Spend 1 Fortune to reverse decision and gain surprise,
  • Defend against the attack (Parry Reaction vs Attack)

Thoughts:

1) I assume the death checkers are somewhat spread out, so not all of them can join the fight right now?

2) Just becasue the mercenary discovered Asenath does not mean he has initiative, or does it?

1) Correct. Only one will engage with Asenath unless he manages to call for them.

2) You bring up a good point. PCs are supposed to have the first turn in combat unless the GM spends a point of Doom for a single enemy to go first. I suppose he will not have Initiative. That really brings the decision down to whether or not you want to give 2 Doom or spend 1 Fortune to gain surprise.

I suggest we roll all of the combat and then summarize it in one post. Or whenever one of us thinks there is enough to narrate.
Either way, Asenath will swiftly step up to the mercenary and whack him with her poleaxe.

I rolled two dice (no momentum to spend yet) for [4, 17], meaning three successes.
Assuming he is a Minion (btw, how easy is it to detect whether someone is Minion, Toughened or Nemesis?) he can't use reactions, which means this are two extra successes, resulting in two momentum. I put them into the pool for now.
Next I roll damage. The ploeaxe does 4 damage, plus 4 from my Brawn 14. So 8d6 result in [ 1, 1, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5, 6].
Asenath has the No Mercy talent, which is currently her only melee talent, she can reroll one of the 3s resulting in another 5, for an end result of [ 1, 1, 5, 3, 2, 3, 5, 6]. That is 7 damage and 3 effects.
The poleaxe has the Vicious quality, so these three effects result in another three damage, for 10 total.
The poleaxe also has the Piercing quality, so the three effects also reduce the targets soak by up to 3.
Assuming he does not have more than 3 armor, that is 10 damage, which results in at least one harm (5 or more damage in one hit). The poleaxe also has the Intense quality, so that one harm becomes two.
The latter is irrelevant, since it only takes one harm to down a minion.

If he is not a Minion you can try to defend, of course.

He is a minion! Well done!

In the future, I think we can do as you say for minions and limit all dice rolls to a single post. For Nemesis, I definitely want to take some time to make those fights truly epic, since they are hardened and will pose a challenge for Asenath. I'm also thinking the same for Toughened enemies.

• Make an Observation check (D1) to scavenge inside the tent.
    • If a Complication (20) is rolled, make a Discipline check (D1).
    • If Observation is successful, roll 1d6. If effect is rolled (5-6) roll an additional 1d20.

Observation check: [6, 10], 2 successes
1d6: 6. Extra d20: 12

If I can use the extra success to scavenge more/better equipment/provisions I will.

Still needs basic equipment (lots of waterskins) and more rations, so she has to keep searching.

Same as last time...but with a stealth check first.
  • Make an opposed Stealth Check to sneak into the tent. [Death Checker Observation Result: 8, 13 (1 success)]
    • If successful, move onto the Observation check.
    • If failure, she is spotted by the nearest Death Checker.
  • Make an Observation check (D1) to scavenge inside the tent.
    • If a Complication (20) is rolled, make a Discipline check (D1).
    • If Observation is successful, roll 1d6. If effect is rolled (5-6) roll an additional 1d20.

Stealth check: [10,16] 2 successes, whew. One extra momentum.
I use the momentum on the observation check: [1, 18, 3] 4 successes. That would be three extra momentum. Can I spend some of those to find more stuff?
1d6: 3

What means of transport do these death checkers have at their disposal to follow the main army once they are done? Also, I assume they need to have at least some food and drink?

Asenath can assume that they each have a horse, although they would be outside of the perimeter of the encampment. If that is true, then the Death Checkers would not need as much food or drink.

The plan is to down one of them before they realize what is happening and then attack the first of the remaining two during regular combat rounds.

Back
Top Bottom