Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Guiding Kitten (Kevin x EtherealElvenEmpress)

Mina was all about the rules and being so new this guide was all about the books. Listening to him talk she wasn’t sure what to make of him but she knew taking the bed was rude. “The couch is fine.” Stating her stance. “Hospitality or not I don’t feel comfortable in your bed. Does that mean anything in this realm?” She had to ask not knowing it it meant anything at all. He wasn’t a guide so she wasn’t sure.

“I’m sure you wanted a fox didn’t you?” Mina asked as she let out a sigh. “Everyone seems to prefer foxes you know. If you desire I can put in a change request. It takes time and it’s out of my hands. You know I gave no say in it and you may get another animal depending on who is available.” Mina thought that’s what he meant by meeting other guides. “I studied really hard to do this you know…I just didn’t know the human I’d get would be on break. I don’t even know what to do with a human on break….” The You d cat guid lamented as she took a looked rather puzzled.

The cat's mind seemed made up on taking the couch so he wouldn't insist any further. He had done his part by offering her the bed, feeling bad for his earlier actions, but he wouldn't insist. "Then that's settled, you can take the couch. As long as you feel comfortable, that works for me. We'll get you a bed tomorrow either way, so it should only be for one night hopefully." With that settled, hopefully they could move past that, likely only the first of the disagreements or debates to come.

It seemed that once more she seemed to believe he preferred a fox. He wasn't quite sure what had given that her impression but it was far from correct. "Mina, I want you to pay close attention to my words. I never asked for a guide of any kind. You were sent here without my knowledge or agreement. That being said, if I did have to choose a guide, I would not choose a fox. I would choose you. We've just met but you seem dedicated to your job, to doing well and to helping me. That's all I, or any other person, could ask for. Besides, like I said, you're way cuter than any fox. They often look like they're planning something bad, they have a sly look to them. You however.. You look.. Honest."

Feeling like she win her first battle his guide did seem a bit more cheerful. “I’m okay with the couch and I’m actually fine with sleeping anywhere. That’s the one good think about my nature. Bed or couch I’m fine. Now that we’ve settled that we’re good for now.” Thinking she had won this battle she let her tail sway happily with her idea of winning.

“Well if that’s the case it’s settled. I’ll guid e you and get you back on the right path even if I’m not a fox. Well I’m glad you’re not mad that I’m not but I promise to do my best and get you where you need to be.” She said feeling a bit more confident. “D…do you have any more chocolate?” Mina finally asked shyly.

Fortunately the cheer she had earlier seemed to return a little. There was a long road ahead of the two and things had gotten off to a rocky start, but it seemed like they were beginning to get back on track. "I'm sure you'll do a great job Mina. You're special, I can tell. I may not have magic but I'm a pretty good judge of character." He said convincingly.

As she asked him about the chocolate he laughed lightly. "I do have some more.. But you should probably wait until after dinner, don't you think?" He looked through a drawer under the kitchen counter, pulling out a bar of chocolate. "Tell you what, you can wait until after dinner and then it's all yours.. Or.. If you forgive me for earlier and let me pet your head as a thanks, you can have it now. But you still need to eat dinner."

“Chocolate is food trust me on that!” Mina said with conviction. She was sure that was truth and it did have milk and cocoa beans in it. Her mood was fairing much better than it did earlier. Kevin was being nicer and wasn’t terrifying her this time.

“Do we have to eat dinner? I’ll be fine with just the chocolate and toy can eat dinner.” She thought that would be alright but honestly she did need to eat. She really didn’t want to make them feed her but it would be helpful if he did but you wouldn’t outright ask. Kevin could hear her stomach growl as Mine blushes and looked embarrassed. “I guess maybe I’m just a little bit hungry…” the tall cat girl confessed. Her ears folded back and her tail sunk and hid between her legs. “I am your guide so if you’re hungry maybe I can cook for you. The book says humans eat many things but what do you eat?” Asking as She looked towards Kevin for answers. She was here to help him and be of use and if cooking would help her solidify her relationship with her new charge she was going to do it and try to be the best at it if he let her of course.

Though he had let her win their earlier disagreement about the bed, this one he wasn't going to budge on. As much as he would have loved chocolate to be food too, it wasn't. He shook his head. "You know just as well as I do that chocolate is not actual food. Chocolate is a treat, a reward. We have to earn it by having actual food first, or by doing good things.

As her stomach growled, it was the last sign he needed to win the argument. "See, you are hungry!" He called out with a happy smile, glad to win the discussion. If he had a tail, it would have been swaying with joy. "Do you like cooking Mina? If you do, then sure, you can cook. I think there's a few things in the fridge. There's some steaks I bought yesterday which looked nice and fresh. They were quite expensive too. There's also some fresh fish I bought just today. We can have either one, but we'll both be having dinner together.. Deal?"

Mina’s stomach growled again showing that she was more than hungry. It was no lie that she was outright famished but it looked like she wasn’t just going to get chocolate for dinner.

Her new charge was adamant that not only she eat but that they both did. Kevin mentioned steak as well as fish. “I like both but I think I’ll be okay with chocolate. I can cook for you but I’m used to looking out for myself.” Mina tried to weasel out of eating real food.”what if I offer to cook for you but I’ll eat the chocolate instead? I think that’s i think that’s good deal, but if you think I really have to eat….and you are yanking my tail here I’ll choose fish. The next question is what do you want me to cook for you?” She asked as her tail ticked as she asked what he wanted to eat.

One thing he could say with certainty was that his apparent guide was stubborn. In fact, she seemed to take stubbornness to an entirely new level. "You really don't give up, do you?" He laughed a little. "If you really want to do the cooking, then you can make the fish for both of us." He made sure to emphasise the last few words so that there was no misunderstanding. She would be eating proper food and that was final.

With the discussion of food out of the way, Kevin began to wonder about something else. Mina had clearly been sent to him, but who actually decided those things and, more specifically, where was she from? "Hey, Mina, I was wondering, who sent you here? Where are you actually from? I don't really know anything about you, but you seem to know about me and my company. Maybe you can tell me a bit about yourself too?"

Mina huffed and her tail easily showed her adorable irritation. Flicking back and forth while she pouted. She was as stubborn as she was cute. Her ears perked up when he began asking questions about her. “Fine I’ll cook the fish for the both of us. How do you like to eat it? If you have rice or vegetables I can make something nice.” The stubborn cutie offered as she would take a step forward before looking around to spot the kitchen.

“The guild assigns guides to humans. Not all humans get guides but you’re a lucky one. You know my kind and yours share this world and this is how we live in harmony and help each other. Humans aren't magic users, but we are. Together we can make the world better. It’s just difficult to coexist so the coalition provides guides to exceptional humans and you are listed as one of them. Got it? Now where did you put the fish?” Mina placed a hand on her hips as she would start her search of the kitchen.

Kevin held back a small giggle at her reaction. It seemed like the young cat didn't like it when she didn't get her way, but she was awfully cute when she got puffy as she had. Fortunately, she had accepted defeat and was ready to make dinner for the two. "I don't mind either one. There's rice in the cupboard and vegetables in the fridge. Take whatever you need.

It was her next words that really intrigued Kevin. The guild.. So that's who was behind all this. He had never dealt with them directly but he had heard the name before. Apparently he was special too? Considering how many guides he saw around he never thought of himself as special now that he did have one but then, maybe he was, as his guide was certainly.. Different.

"I'm an.. Exceptional human?" He looked at her in surprise while approaching the fridge and pulling out a bag with some paper inside, the fish wrapped in the paper. "There's the fish, but back to what you said, how am I exceptional? I'm just a normal person."

Mina was inexperienced but she was very Book smart. Making her way to the kitchen she listen to her new human and would start preparing the veggies and looking for the fish. It took her a moment to get situated but when she was she was on a roll.

The guild with something most humans knew about and even though there were many guys out there they were some humans who never even got one. When Kevin pulled out the fish she had an aha moment as her ears shot up. “There it is I was looking for that don’t hide it if I’m trying to cook it!” The small cat died hot and pouted when she saw him get the fish. “Normal humans don’t get guys I think you’ve noticed not all of your friends have us. You have me. You’ve noticed there quite a few foxes and other guides around like bears and cows. Dogs and deer and rabbits. Not so many cats though. I never understood why but the feline guy category is always smaller than the most. I guess you’re really exceptionally get one of us we are quite picky.” Mina I told him with her tail twitching happily as if she was keeping a secret from him. She couldn’t tell them too much because she could risk the initiative by telling him how special he was it was up to him to figure that out. She helps you would not get in trouble for telling him that he was exceptional but it was better that he knew something than nothing.

For such a young, inexperienced girl in many areas, it seemed like the kitchen was somewhere she definitely knew her way around. He wondered if cooking was part of her training to be a guide, or if maybe she had learned from her mother or some other family member. His thoughts however quickly returned to her and her words, listening as she explained.

Kevin wondered just how they decided who did and didn't deserve a guide, wondered exactly how what type of guide was assigned to each person, but most of all he wondered how and why he would be considered exceptional. He never did think of himself as anything other than normal, sure he had built an innovative magical tech business but, that wasn't such a big deal.. Right? "Well, I really don't know why the guild thought I am exceptional, but I am glad they sent you. I'm happy to have met you. I never thought I'd have a cute cat move in as my guide." He laughed softly. "I'm going to go have a shower while you make dinner, OK? Just let me know if you need anything."

Mina knew her way around the kitchen even if it took her a few moments to familiarize herself with Kevin’s kitchen. Paying attention to the vegetables and slicing the fish in an easy way to bake.

“As I said you are exceptional. Look at all you’ve accomplished without having natural magic.” Turning to speak before she chopped more. Maybe he couldn’t see it but most humans picked to get a guide either accepted it or tried to refuse them. Luckily he wasn’t kicking her out so for Mina this was a win-win situation.

“Go shower.I should be finished by the time you’re done. I can’t tell you everything but if you ask I’ll do my best to fill you in. Is that a deal?” Turning back to face him clearly when she asked as her tail would swish as she showed how she was enjoying cooking without even having to say it. If Kevin paid attention he’d easily figure out her emotions by just watching how her ears and tail would react. Eyes may have been the window to the soul for humans but creature like Mina dawning ears and a tail it was those very appendages that give away their moods.

Once Kevin was in the shower was when his guide got to work. Fully focused she was hoping to wow him dinner so when he came out she put together a restaurant style dinner and even worked that cute tail off to make sure he had another reason to keep her around. When he did return after cleaning up their dinner would greet him though she wasn’t sure if he was going to eat with her or not.
07C5FB5B-2018-4B2D-9E56-A07F217BEE9D.jpeg

Once again the cute girl called him exceptional, her eyes showing her honesty even behind her glasses. She said it so casually, as if he should know it. Everything he had managed without magic? He had never really stopped to see. He had come up with inventions, he had given the world a new source of power that left behind toxic sources, but he had never really stopped to consider it all, or even to see what effect they had on the world. For him it was just his way to do what he could to help humanity, to help the world. He never sought to be rewarded for it.

"It's a deal." He said with a soft smile, watching as she got back to work, her tail swaying, which he took to mean she was happy. He turned around and walked over to his room, grabbing a change of clothes and underwear before heading to the bathroom and stepping into the shower. As he showered, he looked at the large square bathtub that was placed by the shower, realising that he had never used it and deciding that he would have to try it out, but perhaps the next day, not wanting to make his guide wait for him after preparing dinner.

After a few minutes and having made sure he was nice and clean, he pulled his underwear and his comfortable pants on, stepping out of the bathroom to cool down a little before he would put his top on. He walked into the kitchen, the smell of the food all around the apartment. "Mmmm... That smells so great!" Kevin called out with a wide smile, his stomach growling, asking for food. As he walked in, he pulled his t-shirt on before sitting down. "I can't wait to taste your food. It's my first time sharing a meal at home with someone since I was a child."

Sometimes it was hard to work in the kitchen with glasses as occasionally they are cloudy. She sadly cannot take them fully but occasionally she rested her eyes as she cooked. Letting Kevin go get a shower and take care of what he needs to do she would set the table and make the place look more like Home than a bachelor pad.

Mina was not surprised that he didn’t know he was special because most humans just really don’t think about it that way. Shrugging him off only because she was cooking she would explain more when he got back. The table was set and she think she had the right utensil set up she had a knife and fork and spoon but maybe they What do use the spoon for some thing. Maybe not but it was better than forgetting something.

For the time being the table was set for two. That’s if he wanted her to eat with him and she was not sure. Either way he said they had to eat in an hour to eat she had to get chocolate so it was on the menu even if she could live off chocolate alone at her age and not ruin that beautiful figure of hers.

When Kevin finally came back she motion to the table. “You said we had eight it’s already the question is do I eat with you or do I eat outside?” Her book said some of the humans didn’t like their guides inside so she wasn’t sure if Kevin preferred her to be indoor or outdoor. It wasn’t a place to argue but it was his house so therefore his rules. “ i’m assuming you want water I think I saw juice in your fridge I can get you that. But as you instructed we needed dinner.” Her tail was swishing happily behind her has she been with pride for actually getting this whole dinner done and I think I burned. She was used to cooking for her siblings and helping her mom out so this was an easy feet and hopefully this might be the easiest thing to do with her human The one can never know with humans!

It was nice to see his guide happy, tail swaying behind her as she prepared everything. The two had just met but he was sure they could get along, she was there to help him after all. He may have misinterpreted just what kind of relationship they could have earlier, but he wouldn't give up on it. He wanted to get closer, to get to know the cat girl that had shown up at his place and then maybe they might have a shot at something beyond just been a guide and her charge.

Her question in where to eat did offend him a little, though he tried not to show it, assuming it might have been due to what she had been taught. "Why would you eat outside? Of course not. We'll both eat together, inside, at the same table. Although you're my guide, you're not less than me, you're a person too and, I hope, in time, a friend." He replies, trying to be clear that she would never have to eat outside. "Anyone who even thinks of making their guide eat outside doesn't deserve one." He states confidently.

Having taken a seat and looking at the food, he can feel himself almost drool, eager to taste it. "Water is fine, yes. You take whatever you want to drink too. This food really looks incredible Mina, I can't wait to taste it!" He waits for her to sit down before grabbing his fork, ready to start and asks.. "Shall we?" With an eager smile.

Her tail was so happy it kept swinging behind her as she made sure that dinner was perfect for her new human. Her ears on and as she listen to what Kevin had to say. She was very shocked to hear his thoughts on her eating outside and it’s a prize this sweet little kitten that he wanted her to stay. “Not all humans want us to stay and eat with them. I…I’m happy that you want me to stay….I don’t like outside…thank you for not making me sleep outside. I heard stories.” Mina said as she took a seat once welcomed to join him.

Once she got them both water his sweet little guide could finally relax. Kevin was less scary now that they actually talking and he didn’t show signs of kicking her out. “So….does this mean I can stay then?” She finally got the courage to ask.

The human was a little surprised to hear the question. He thought she would already know his answer to that. To him, it wasn't even a question, why wouldn't he want her to stay? He smiled sweetly at her, taking her hand over the table for a moment and looking her in the eye as he made sure she would hear him and understand him. "Yes Mina. You can stay. I want you stay. I want you to be my guide. In fact, I think you're right and I'm very lucky to have you, whether or not I'm special." She would be able to see his honesty in his eyes which didn't look away from her for a moment.

It was only after a few seconds that he released her hand. "Alright, now that that's clear, let's eat! I don't want your delicious food to go to waste." Kevin began to dig in, tasting the fish before anything else, feeling the crispness of the crust as the taste of the salmon followed. "Mmmm... Mina, this is wonderful! When did you learn to cook like this? I could eat your cooking all day." He continued eating, excited and enjoying every bite, with a clear look of delight.

Comfortable as she waited for Kevin to start eating but what he did surprised her as he reached over and took her small hand-in-his. Her big brown eyes locked with his eyes she listen carefully while her ears turn to get every word. “I’m very glad to hear that. In that case I’ll stay.” She made her own little promised him. Mina even smiled.

Once you let go of her hand she nodded and picked up her knife and fork with both and started digging into the dinner she made. Watching him to make sure to see if he actually liked it but his actions showed her that she did a good job. “All guys learn how to cook. Even the male ones. We are supposed to be the most help to you and cooking takes away some of your stress. If you want I can cook every day. I can also tidy up the place. I’m not just a maid and help you with everything even your job. I want to help you with your magic too. Are you sure you can’t do any magic? Either way I’m here to make sure your business gets off the ground your way ahead of your time you know. you really shouldn’t give up on the dream. I’m here to help you with that.” Give me a little more than she should have but the excitable little cat girl couldn’t help it.

With the commitment made by the two, they began to enjoy the food. Mina began to explain some of the duties they were prepared for and that she could do for him and he listened closely. She mentioned they weren't maids but, from what she'd described so far, it really sounded like they were. Or at least, if anything, better than maids, not only cooking and cleaning but also helping in other aspects. It certainly wasn't a bad deal, but he couldn't just let her do everything, he wouldn't feel right doing so.

The food on his plate was almost gone already, eager as he had been, when she mentioned his magic again. It had always been a sore subject for him. He adored magic so much, that, not having any, felt devastating for him. Stopping for a moment and taking a drink from his glass, he looked up at her. "I.. I've tried everything. I've gone to see experts, I've prayed, I've done everything I can think of but, no magic. Not even a little bit. It's always been my dream but I guess I just don't have it in me, that or I'm broken." He tried to joke at the end, forcing a small laugh. "I'm probably not as exceptional as you thought, huh?"

Mina was actually hungrier than she thought. She ate the majority of food on her plate even the vegetables. Making sure she left her for chocolate. Listening to Kevin lament about his problem it stopped her from finishing the last bit of food on your plate. “Hmmm… that sounds like you did a lot already. Didn’t your great grandmother have magic? Or wasn’t a great great grandfather but something in your family have it didn’t they?” Asking as she reached out and stroke your tail as she thought.

“ Broken? Now stop being silly! Broken isn’t the right thing to say perhaps mentally blocked. It’s kind of like a writers block or a quiet muse as you humans call it. I’m sure you’re not broken if you were broken I wouldn’t be here you’d be a lost cause.” She didn’t mean to sound mean but she was probably too honest that she should’ve been with him. She was still learning how to transverse the delicate ways to speak to a human.

“The guild doesn’t make mistakes. If I’m here by mistake then someone’s losing their job. And it will not be me because I’m not the cause of the mistake.” She went off on a little tangent as she played with her tail before looking at the mostly empty plates. “I should clean up and maybe you should get the chocolate. Dessert is an order and you didn’t say chocolate earlier I didn’t forget. Don’t you have friends with guides. You said you had a business. Do you have any guides there? I’m wondering who are the guides that were sent there. Either way I’m sure you aren’t broken maybe you’re just trying too hard.”

Although she said he had done more than enough, he didn't really feel that way. He had always been an overachiever, always worked hard, something which showed in his everyday life. Her question about magic in his family did catch him by surprise however. "I'm actually not sure. I know some people had magic in my family, but not sure who or how much. My um.. Parents passed away when I was young, so I don't have much idea or knowledge about my family history. I didn't know they had cat guides either, it's all new to me."

As he spoke the last few words, he made sure everything on his plate was finished and drank the glass of water along with it. It was just as she refuted his comment about being broken. Kevin did appreciate it and it did feel nice to have someone speaking well about him, cheering him on. "Thanks Mina, those are very kind words. I really appreciate it." The smile had returned to his face as he stood up from the table, allowing Mina to clear it while he fetched the chocolate for the two. "Alright, alright, it's chocolate time, you've earned it!"

With the chocolate in his hands, he sat back down at the table and placed the different chocolates on it for Mina to be able to choose which she preferred. "I do know people with guides, several, but they're not my guide so they've never really offered to help me. I'm sure if I asked they might, but I'm not really good at asking for help. I may be a bit stubborn sometimes, much like my cute guide." He said jokingly.

Perhaps they were matched since his little kitten was also an overachiever herself. Young and bright eyed. Filled with hopes and dreams of graduating to being a full guide and helping her human ego didn’t thing he was exceptional.

Her tail was seating happily until it wasn’t when he mentioned how he lost his parents young. Mina’s file lacked that information as her fluffy black ears folded back. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to…I didn’t want to make you sad…” it was then she reached out to try and take his hand if he let her.

If he let her she’d hold it until he stood up. That gave her a chance to clear the table and put things in the sink to wash later. The moment chocolate was mentioned those fluffy ears perked up. Moving back to the tabled her tail unable to hide her happiness. “Will you eat it with me? I don’t want to eat alone. Please?” She pretty much begged hoping to spend more time with him and get to know who she’d be living with long term.

Kevin shook his head lightly, realising her reaction to her story. "Don't worry Mina, it's alright. It happened when I was very young, so I've learned to live on my own." Her touch was warm when she took his hand. He held hers too, enjoying the warmth and comfort from the guide. It was certainly refreshing to have someone by him for once, not to be alone.

Her request to eat chocolate with her was quickly granted. "Of course Mina. I would love to eat the chocolate with you. You don't have to be alone. Besides, I love chocolate too y'know? I prefer dark chocolate myself but I like every type of chocolate. I would gladly eat nothing but chocolate, but then I'd probably get sick." He laughed lightly. "What about your parents? Are they alright? Do you miss them?"

“You were so young you didn’t need to be alone or you should never have been left alone. Where is your family?” Mina only wished to know more and learn more about Kevin. Her deep chocolate eyes watch to Kevin even though he offered her chocolate. Hearing that he would eat chocolate with her brought a big smile to her face. This place was new but Kevin has slowly starting to grow on her. With him mentioning how he can eat only chocolate but it would not do his body good it caused her to giggle making her ears twitch as she laughed.

For once she was enjoying herself. “We can’t have you getting sick on my watch I’ll make sure to cook you healthy food. Make sure you get your business up and running. You are exceptional.” She repeated. It was interesting that he asked about her parents and she nodded saying that she did miss them. “ of course I miss them but to be a guide is lucky. I’ll see them again but my job is with you.” She reached out please to hand over his and let her thumb rub on the back of his hand. “I won’t be lonely with you. As long as you want me here… i’m happy. You’re practically my family now you know that. Guides stay with you as long as you desire us. I really do hope you let me stay Kevin.”

Back
Top Bottom