Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Request Thread Help? (Please and Thank You!)

JustaPan

Planetoid
I don't know if I'm just too desperate, or impatient, or even trying to search for a Fandom that is impossible? But I saw that people have been getting help with their threads, so thought maybe I'd throw my desperate hat into the ring.

But I've beaten myself up, wondering if my thread just isn't enticing enough, even for the small handful of people? Maybe the CanonxOC aspect? Or again, the Fandom itself? Or, maybe I can word it in a way that draws more in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think your RT is fine, if a bit basic. You state what you are looking for in general (Which is MTG RP's in which someone else is playing a canon and you are playing an OC), and I don't erally see anything in the thread outline itself that would pull me away from the idea altogether were I interested in it. I think the major problem is a bit of the fandom itself and the canonxOC aspect. Someone playing a canon against an OC is already a big buy in, but you aren't really describing what they'll be playing against. Who is your OC? What are they like? Why should the canon character be interested in them? Give your potential partners an idea, a spark, a potential bridging point for how to get things rolling. Buying in against an OC where yuo know 0 information about the OC is a massive, massive upsell and while it's not an impossible one to make, it's very difficult to get the interest of someone looking to play the canon if they know nothing about what they'll be playing against.

Of course, it can also be that the uniqueness of the setting/canon can make things hard. Some canons are just hard to find players for.

I'm sure someone else can give some much better pointers than I but I think those are a good starting point.

Sometimes, it can be hard to give suggestions because request threads lean so heavily on the personal preferences of others. Personally, I love bullet points and easy-to-digest threads. I always assume members are skimming threads and you want the main points eye-catching to get them invested enough to read. There's a lot of request threads bumped every day on BMR. I say as a rule-of-thumb, assume a member is spending 5 seconds on your thread before deciding whether to move on to the next. Do you think yours would capture their attention?

So a little bit about myself. I'm in my mid-twenties, and tend to write multi-paragraphs from the third person/past tense perspective. I can do anywhere between 2-5 solid paragraphs, more if needed to match my partner's length (or if I'm really into a scene). I'm ghost friendly, though I would appreciate if anyone told me they weren't interested anymore.

For this, I'm looking for more story driven RPs, but romance and smut may make an appearance. Though I'm looking for more of a 80/20 story/smut ratio? I do prefer for the romance to be an extremely slow burn, and have the relationship build from the ground up.
I would place all of this together in bullet points, and add whether you prefer writing in PM and/or threads.

I'm looking for someone to play him against my OC, and to help me build her character and into the story.
I know what you meant, but I would probably nix this bit. I know a lot of players have had bad experiences with having to do all the work storytelling for a RP and this may make them hesitant, especially if they're the one playing the canon character. They may be concerned you won't bring enough to the table. Instead of including this sentence, do what Rev suggested, entice them with your OC. I'm not saying provide a character sheet, but may be include a bit about her personality. Is she more submissive and/or a novice in her trade? Is she a brat stubborn? Will they start off allies or enemies?

Some other things you could include:
  • Kinks and limits. I know this is supposed to be a story-driven RP, but most people like to know what kind of kinks their partner enjoys ensuring they're compatible.
  • Graphics/pictures - While I don't even include them in my own request thread, I do love seeing images when browsing. If you already have a face claim for your character, why not throw it in to get others invested in your OC? (If you decide to use NSFW images, be sure to include that in the thread title, beside the link, or in the spoiler tag.)
  • A writing sample.
Most importantly, remember fandoms, especially specific fandom/canon character RPs are niche. I might even argue story-driven is niche. It will be hit-or-miss, so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get many PMs with a bump.

Rev and Rhey gave some really good suggestions here, so I'm just piggy backing off them. Since most of this critique asked questions, I tried to design something that gave a lot of information but didn't actually grow in size 🤔 Big, blocky posts are hard to skim. Classifieds are still sold by the word for a reason, you know? Concise and informative was my focus.

This is what I came up with using your RT and Rhey and Rev's critique.

Ew244SH.png
dfFaUdu.png

Hi there! I'm JustaPan, or you can call me Pandora. I am currently coming out of a long hiatus and looking to get back into the swing of things! I'm in my mid-twenties, and tend to write multi-paragraphs from the third-person, past tense. I can do anywhere between 2-5 paragraphs, more if needed to match my partner's length (or if I'm really into a scene). I'm ghost friendly, and would be happy to double a character for you in return! I just ask for equal effort put into both sides, because I promise, I will put all my heart into responses.

I'm really big into Magic: The Gathering, and am interested in exploring the story through one of my original characters and your Jace Beleren. I would love to start from the beginning, but am open to more recent sets with a strong preference to pick up before War of The Spark. So what do you say?

Do You Want to Meet Her Now?
This is where you would put Rev's suggestions to include information about your original character.
fff&text=Character+Image

You may also want to include some of those ideas you had for the story here too, or a writing sample like Rhey suggested :)

yCcRjtC.png

This is where you would include Rheya's suggestions.

KinksLimits
80/20 story to plot
slowburn
hurt-comfort dynamics
romance
etc
limits
no's
etc

PM if you're interested in writing a story-driven slowburn with me. I hope and look forward to hearing from MtG fans!

Code
[CENTER][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Ew244SH.png[/IMG][/CENTER] [RIGHT][IMG width="499px"]https://i.imgur.com/dfFaUdu.png[/IMG] [/RIGHT] Hi there! I'm JustaPan, or you can call me Pandora. I am currently coming out of a long hiatus and looking to get back into the swing of things! I'm in my mid-twenties, and tend to write multi-paragraphs from the [COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)][B][FONT=courier new]third-person[/FONT][/B][/COLOR], [COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)][B][FONT=courier new]past tense[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]. I can do anywhere between [B][FONT=courier new][COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)]2-5 paragraphs[/COLOR][/FONT][/B], more if needed to match my partner's length (or if I'm really into a scene). I'm [B][FONT=courier new][COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)]ghost friendly[/COLOR][/FONT][/B], and would be [B][FONT=courier new][COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)]happy to double[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] a character for you in return! I just ask for equal effort put into both sides, because I promise, I will put all my heart into responses. I'm really big into [FONT=georgia][SIZE=5][COLOR=rgb(97, 189, 109)][I]Magic: The Gathering[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT], and am interested in exploring the story through one of my original characters and your [FONT=courier new][B][COLOR=rgb(250, 197, 28)]Jace Beleren[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]. I would love to start from the beginning, but am open to more recent sets with a strong preference to pick up before [SIZE=5][FONT=georgia][COLOR=rgb(97, 189, 109)]War of The Spark[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]. So what do you say? [accordion=bcenter][slide=Do You Want to Meet Her Now?|CENTER] [I]This is where you would put Rev's suggestions to include information about your original character.[IMG align="right" width="316px"]https://dummyimage.com/400x600/000/fff&text=Character+Image[/IMG][/I] [HR=3][/HR] [I]You may also want to include some of those ideas you had for the story here too, or a writing sample like Rhey suggested [/I]:)[/SLIDE][/ACCORDION] [IMG width="536px"]https://i.imgur.com/yCcRjtC.png[/IMG] [I]This is where you would include Rheya's suggestions. [/I] [TABLE] [TR] [TH]Kinks[/TH] [TH]Limits[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD][I]80/20 story to plot slowburn hurt-comfort dynamics romance etc[/I][/TD] [TD][I]limits no's etc[/I][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [CENTER][SIZE=6][FONT=georgia][I]PM if you're interested in writing a story-driven slowburn with me. I hope and look forward to hearing from MtG fans![/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Appendix
1. Headers
I made in seconds using a graphic generator called Cool Text

2. Character Sheet
You can design your own, use a template, or request from the Design Team :)

@Revelations @Rheya @Retrojapan

Sorry to get back to you guys so late, but I wanted to thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it! I wanted to wait until I got to a PC, as I use mobile a lot, but that didn't happen.

But now I see where I can make some edits, for sure, and hope that it may attract some more people!

@RetroI really like the formatting you used. Would it be possible to borrow it, while of course putting my own spin on it and filling in the blanks?

@Revelations @Rheya @Retrojapan

Sorry to get back to you guys so late, but I wanted to thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it! I wanted to wait until I got to a PC, as I use mobile a lot, but that didn't happen.

But now I see where I can make some edits, for sure, and hope that it may attract some more people!

@RetroI really like the formatting you used. Would it be possible to borrow it, while of course putting my own spin on it and filling in the blanks?

Absolutely you can use it ^^ I'm happy it works! You'll find code behind one of the slides in the previous post.

Back
Top Bottom