Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Those Who Withstand the Storm (CasualVelociraptor x Frozen Princess)

CasualVelociraptor

Ravenclaw
Supporter
Fate whispered to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior replied, "I am the storm."

-Unknown​

Radiant City

Capital of the Caledorian Empire

September 24th, 1888 After Caledoria

Alice Guthrie awoke naked and strutted around her modest flat in 15 Hershing Street in Radiant City's murky and heavily polluted South Bend (located on the once scenic banks of the barge choked Radiant River) to stretch her legs and start her day. Her first order of business was to go into a newfangled steam shower (a luxury for South Bend) and touch herself to climax under the running water. Hers was the only hand she'd ever known, for fear that even the secretive prostitutes of Radiant would unveil her location, and she'd have to move.

Again.

Her hair now dried and bare pussy well taken care of, Alice got dressed in her usual floppy newsboy hat and billowy coat over a flexible whale leather corset and a puffy blouse. She then put boots and pants made of the same whale leather over elastane leggings; these boots came with spring loaded heels and were, along with the leggings, arrayed with copper clasps to hold tools such as her trusty pen and notebook for jotting down her observations in the field. Then she sat at her colossal scroll copier, put in some paper, and began to type her copy for The South Bend Spectator.

RASH OF BURGLARIES CONTINUES
ClockWerks may be one of the most popular stores in South Bend, and just scored a lucrative deal to be an Authorized Seller of Jareth Industries' hot new line of Xen1 automatons, but it is sadly no longer immune to the crime wave sweeping this district.

At 23:30 RMT
[1], the automated alarm went off in the front display window. This reporter was on the scene half an hour later to take down the statement of the owner, one Michael Criss, and diligently did so for another half hour. It should be noted that the eminent Radiant City Police Department, as usual, did not send strider officers until around 02:00, according to anonymous sources, and then left ten minutes later, with the evidence they gathered and their methods for doing so unclear.

According to Mr. Criss and this reporter's own forensic observations, the front window was smashed by a single blast from an ARA (Auto Reloading Armaments) super scattergun and one Xen1 display model, with an ISRP
[2] of N1000, was missing. This was the only item taken, but the automaton's approximately 250 pounds of dampfsteel[3], copper clockwork, piping and needles, as well as wax for the cylinder on which instructions are written and executed by said needles, means that it is now increasingly likely that the burglar did not work alone, as was previously speculated by this very reporter. This is a huge break in the case, and it is once again unclear if the RCPD noticed this obvious development.

Whatever the case, this reporter will not stop until the persons responsible for wreaking havoc in our community are stopped. If the RCPD or their overlords at the Imperial Eye won't get off their lazy asses and devote increased patrols to this district, as opposed to sending thugs to police private intimate conduct at the behest of the corrupt Church of Solstice, then a petition to the Senate and the Popular Tribune
[4] will be made by this reporter. If they won't do anything either, and it's likely they will not, then this reporter calls on Empress Emily Caldwell herself to personally intervene.

The Ballad be with you all.

Derek Sampson Reporting

[1] Radiant Mean Time, the solar meridian of the entire world.
[2] Imperial Standards Recommended Price, assessed by the Imperial Standards Bureau and usually reflected in kind by other global currencies due to the status of the Imperial note (N) as one of the world's two reserve currencies, competing with Confederate scrip (SC).
[3] Steel treated by heavy amounts of steam in a secretive process that makes it incredibly lightweight yet durable. The most popular building material in the world, and Caledoria's most profitable export apart from refined whale oil to make the steam.
[4] The only nationwide elected office in the Caledorian Empire, chosen for a term of ten years by all citizens of Caledoria Island and last elected in 1880. Presides over the 100-member hereditary Imperial Senate and breaks tie votes, while also hearing and reading popular petitions to the Senate.

Alice had once looked up to Derek Sampson and voraciously consumed his reporting when she was a little girl, but now she hated writing all the copy for the fat 65-year-old husk of what he once was who rarely if ever left his splendid mansion in Inventors Green, a neighborhood on the other side of Radiant from his boyhood home, these days. On the other hand, writing under his well-respected name allowed her to have unprecedented freedom to criticize the government and the Church, since they couldn't disappear someone this popular, and the kind of privacy she craved after returning home from the Surabamba Rebellion in 1886.

Once, she was finished with her article, Alice sent it out through the copper scanner to the automatically stamped scroll address of the Spectator, after which the machine stamped her own address to in turn indicate the provenance of the sender- RCSBD15HS58179298755817929875482287408956.

With that one piece of work accomplished, one of the perks of working from home like this was that she had plenty of time to read the many volumes she could just about afford to order from booksellers all over the world in her towering bookshelf. These were usually encyclopedias, atlases, histories, and crime novels (many of them dime store novels about her completely fictional exploits, made without her permission, but she still enjoyed them anyway, just as she had enjoyed the Abigail Woods adventures of her youth.)

And, of course, get some lunch at the Savor+Cakes cart that usually parked itself across the street from her. The proprietor, one Lucas Cobb, knew she would regularly pick up a Midvadirian sabertooth whale wrap, with a "tip" getting her an ounce of sweetgrass to pack into her pipe for later.

Then she'd retreat inside again to read and keep an eye on the machine for any mail (either via her scroll copier or, more often, messenger crow) that might lead her to a new story or more clues on her current ones. (This time, Lucas had also given Alice a free waterfoot wrap to try and give her feedback on before he put it on the menu, which she appreciated with a platonic peck on his cheek. She ate and enjoyed both with a smile.)

If she hadn't received something by dinnertime (tips at 23:30 at night were rare for her, which is why she'd had to take time to sober up in the shower and then parkour over to the ClockWerks, and she worried this might become a pattern), she'd place an order for takeaway, smoke up to keep her brain active, and read and/or masturbate until the high faded away and she would fall asleep. These days, she would usually order a courier she trusted to pick up steam-treated alcohol and teas from Skrambar, which would also give her a hefty discount (as a thank you for breaking up a bar fight the one time she did visit a year ago) on any. Type. Of food she wanted. Even items off the menu.

This routine was lonely, sure, but it kept her safe. And after a life of hardship, that was all that Alice Guthrie cared about.

So, Alice didn't expect the knock on her door that would change her life a few hours later...

Last edited:
Erin Glascinte was a private investigator and usually had a large caseload that kept her busy (Read: out of the authority's hair), but more often than not was solved within a day, and nothing that put her unique intellectual skills to the test. Everything was mundane and really not worth the time or what brain activity she actually put into it.

In fact "Sure Lock", which was ironically what her last name meant in Old Caledorian, was more often than not, reading about the "fantastic", as she coined them, exploits of one Alice Guthrie. She would jot things down on paper (to be typed up later, yet later had still not arrived), including the description of the young lady, and did her own investigation on the side.

Engrossed in one of these accounts now, she looked up as a triple knock came to her flat's door. It was a simple look with very little of the more modern amenities most enjoyed in her city. She still preferred the oil lamps as well as other of the Goliath Wars style. The old furnishings always served her best, in her opinion, no sense breaking from tradition. "Come in." She called to her guest.

Most visitors did a simple or a double knock. She noticed as three young ladies came in. She steepled her fingers together after waving to the couch and a chair near her desk she was sitting behind. "Since one of your twin sisters knocked, why did you feel the need?" She asked the youngest on the door.

"Oh, to announce my arrival as well." The youngest said.

Erin moved her pipe to the other side of her mouth. "Interesting. Is your case different from your sisters, then?"

"She's just going to fill in any holes we may leave out." One twin responded.

"We may not have everything in order, and an apology in advance." The other added.

Erin held up a hand. "Let me stop you both right there. I'd greatly appreciate it if only one of you do the talking and relate the entire facts to me. I'd like to make full eye contact with the speaker. Thank you. I can tell all three of you are of polite and affluent society, and that you have already been to the authorities and they sent you here, so we can go to your last name and the reason for the visit."

"That would be me," the youngest said, "However, my older sisters are the ones for payment."

"We are the Brandywines. I'm Crystal, the other two are June and Pearl. Our oldest brother has been missing for two months that we know of. It's almost like he fell off the face of the earth. Everyone we could think to talk to, we have, and none of them have seen him either. We're worried, Ms. Glascinte, as it's not like him to not contact us at all, and especially this long. He hasn't been in contact with anyone he knows; it's unheard of!"

"I deal with only facts, Crystal Brandywine. It's unusual, not unheard of. The probability of finding even a trace, does seem slim. The fee is N50 a day, plus expenses, which will be itemized."

After several weeks of various dead ends, Erin had ran across the article. She decided to go to the address there on the paper.

Upon being let in, Erin Glascinte greeted her. "Ah. So you ghostwrite for Mr. Sampson. I thought this address, 15 Hershing Street South Bend District of Radiant City wouldn't house a well known reporter such as he. You have been writing all his articles for a while." She removed her deerstalker before putting her hand out, "Erin Glascinte, how do you do? I also see you are a veteran of war despite your young appearance. I'm in a bit of a bind, I'm afraid. My investigation has led me here, and I may need the help of the reporter responsible for this." She held up the article, "May I have a seat and discuss this. It is possible my missing person case is related. I'll explain as we sit." As the guest, Erin would not ask for anything to drink unless offered.
Screenshot_20220908-124706.png

Last edited:
“Alice Guthrie, and I do well,” Alice said in the flat, direct and occasionally mistaken for gruff style of South Benders, as compared with Erin’s clearly high-born affect, emphasized by the fancy deerstalker cap and light beige color to her dress that no one in the Bend would be caught wearing- for fear of it being pried off their corpse.

To complete her annoyance at being discovered, even by the Empire’s Greatest Detective which was admittedly impressive (though Alice suspected Erin just cribbed her knowledge of Alice’s war service from the newspapers like everyone else), she crossed her arms over her chest (which was slightly larger than Erin’s petite globes.)

“That article isn’t supposed to go out until tomorrow’s edition. I’m guessing Renny in Employee Management gave you that and ratted me out,” Alice then chuckled to herself a bit as she took her seat on the chairs that had seen better days. “Please, sit down and tell me…how in the world a missing persons case is connected to a string of burglaries. I’m afraid I only have water from the taps to drink. If you need teas I’ll need to scroll my usual courier.”

Erin sat down across from her, and raised an eyebrow. "Like the dime store novel hero? You do fit that description. That is also interesting. She's supposed to be fiction, although I do love her adventures. Tea would be preferred, but water quenches just as well. Don't go out of your way. Something to drink is enough."

She held up her pipe, "Do you care if I smoke?" She then came to Alice's next point. "Yes, Renny did show the article when I asked questions, but as far as 'ratting you out'; no. You did that yourself, or rather the paper did, and if anyone with observation skills can discern the code..." A breath.

"Be that as it may, Alice, I was hired by the Brandywine sisters to locate their missing oldest brother." She then gave a detailed account of the meeting almost a month ago, and all the clues that led her to South Bend. "If my hypothesis is right, and I'm rarely wrong, you may already have the key to solving both cases, and I would be eternally grateful, even if Radiant City Police aren't. Glascintes always repay debts, and I'll be in yours if what you know beyond what you mentioned in the article bears the fruit I expect. You'll also be giving the Brandywine sisters closure about their missing brother. These robberies have been going on for only three months or less, correct?" She placed the pipe in her mouth, but had neither put tobacco in it, not lit it.

“Yes, like the dime store hero. I have many of them here and can autograph yours if you like. I also don’t mind if you smoke here- I prefer sweetgrass to tobacco, but to each their own,” Alice smirked. “And no, because everyone keeps asking, I didn’t kill the Kraken of Sanctuary Trench”- the eldritch beast defending the underwater city where rebels and sympathetic merfolk were hiding out at the end of August 1886- “with my knife and scattergun. I was the last Goliath pilot left, and after tricking the monster into eating it I climbed out of its mouth and detonated the whale oil tanks with a timed grenade. But I’ll admit it does make for a better story.”

The real story had resulted in Operation Trench Fall on September 17th, 1886, otherwise known as the worst day of her life, when (unable to unleash her terrible secret, even if she’d wanted to under that tight Golem armor) she’d had to fight the mer hordes, as well as their colossal pets, a mile underwater with her rivet gun, spear gun, and wits. The sounds of battle rang in her ears at night to this day, nearly two years on.

Once Erin explained how she deduced Alice’s location, Alice was able to shake that off and grinned more eagerly. “I must say, the stories in all the papers, including our own, told about your observational skills are true. Very few people, even at the newspaper, know how to decipher a scroll copier code. You’ve got my interest…when we solve this case, you can repay me by picking someplace and buying me dinner.”

Even saying that out loud with a slight purr in her tone made Alice trepidacious, due to the fact that in 1884 the Knights of Solstice had pressed her into military service at the tender age of 16 for the sin of “wrongful relations with one’s own sex.” That had been incorrect because the then 25-year-old Lady Jersey had rescued her from the rain and bitter cold of the streets like an older sister and not touched her, but despite being a virgin to this day Alice had been judged guilty simply by association with a known homosexual.

At least Elizabeth had been able to buy her freedom, but the same could not be said for Alice; however, Alice had narrowly instead of the worse sentence of hard labor in Jogadunda by destroying her secret diaries longing for Elizabeth’s touch and wasn’t keen on getting to that precipice again. So perhaps she had just idiotically told on herself and, if Erin wasn’t of a sapphic inclination, she might run in disgust and report Alice to the Church. However, plenty of people met at all kinds of restaurants without any suspicions raised, so Alice hoped Erin wouldn’t take it the wrong way!

Then she replayed Erin’s explanation in her mind, and as Alice did she sat up straight, her every nerve ending racing like nothing except sweetgrass and orgasm had been able to do since she moved back here.

“Three months almost to the day, actually!” Alice cried. Then she pushed a lever on her chair to flip her one of her bookcases around on a mechanism under the floor, to show what she called her “flow board.” A smattering of her own articles, clipped and pinned to the wall with an expandable ladder beside them for her to get a better look.

“Yep,” she exclaimed while tapping the first article, then brought it down for Erin to look over, “the first one was on June 27th. That must mean you’re suspecting the missing brother of being involved. And the article about last night’s robbery shows he had accomplices who would’ve had an obvious interest in making him disappear. My only question is how you arrived at that conclusion. Spare no details,” she continued, then sat at her scroll copier to write her initial notes, which would be much too rough to send to anyone just yet, but would be the start of the article of her life.

Last edited:
Erin nodded. "I suspected, but had no proof the Alice of the novels was a real person. Not even changing the name, however, tells me you may know the author, as obviously, the person is well acquainted with you and your real life exploits." Once she had permission, she tamped a special blend of tobacco. "Even if it hasn't dawned on you to this point, you'd have a vague idea of who you know personally, capable of penning the fantastic adventures."

She chuckled. "I'm afraid I did not bring one of my copies with me. Perhaps if you were to call on me socially, I'd be honored to get your autograph."

Erin shook her head. "The secret is not filling one's head with trivialities. It's elementary, my dear Alice. Elementary. As I said, anyone could do it, if they set their mind to it." She struck a match and lit the pipe, which would fill the vicinity around them with a sweet, smoky aroma, mixed with the fact her pipe was made of cherry wood. She glanced over as she waved the match out. "Only dinner and I pick the restaurant? Hardly sounds like a fair exchange. Even should you pick and I still pay... Perhaps, you'll change your terms and be a bit more emboldened after I fully explain how I have even reached the hypothesis that their brother is somehow involved, if not the mastermind behind these robberies."

Erin then spoke about the first few days was backtracking what the sisters had told her while waiting for a credit report (both money wise and credibility) about the Brandywines. Everything checked out as the brother had indeed left Radiant straightway after the will reading of the parents. She had chided the Brandywine twins, Pearl and June from leaving that out, or at least not adding to Crystal, who being 18 was unable to attend because of her classes in the advanced public school system. There was no mistake the man had felt slighted, being left out of the will. A paper trail started in the outskirts of Radiant in a suburb, heading west. Glascinte followed it doggedly, picking up a clue to the man's mental state, when a 20something hotel maid was stripped not just of her valuables, but her clothes and her virginity. More receipts using the maid's money and valuables, led her farther west. Fuel, food, and to where a 20something waitress received the same as the young maid, the waitress was raped as well. Erin had to stop there to compose herself. "She's pregnant and has sought asylum with Luminis' Embrace." She then followed the paper trail with the pawning of the waitress's belongings (both sets of clothes were never found). "Which led me to the outskirts of South Bend. A third girl, a teenager about Crystal's age was attacked. Same MO as the other two, save the rape. She was just stripped of everything she owned that was on her person. Interesting, that like his youngest sister, the victim was a student who's classes were also in the advanced public school system. That's where it went cold, so I decided to investigate around here. As for the teen girl who was a resident of this vicinity, and when she was accosted, everything still fits. The description was the same, that was on June 24th. Three days later, these burglaries begin. I believe we have seen the last of the attacks on young women. Two in their 20s, about the same age, would be him taking it out on two poor women who became his stand-ins for the twins. The one here was the stand-in for his youngest sister, who for some reason only known to him, didn't deserve the rape afflicted upon the two older ones representing the older sisters. No one here has seen the clean shaven, brown haired young man, also in his 20s, you see here." She presented a picture of the well dressed man to Alice.

Screenshot_20220908-194047.png
Not in proper clothing. Couldn't find.

Last edited:
"Gods..." Alice sighed, even though she didn't believe in such, as she heard the list of clues that brought Erin to South Bend, not even having room in her brain for "trivialities" like addressing the person who she'd suspected for some time now had sold her embellished life story without her permission. That would be a different mystery for a different day.

"So, this isn't just a missing kid who hung out with the wrong crowd...this is about catching a rapist with a vendetta against his sisters. Disgusting." She had had to fend off rape threats on the streets and had made her first kill and unleashing of the Darkness by stabbing a homeless man to death with a weapon conjured from shadow in response to such a menacing attempt.

"Anyway, here's what I don't get," Alice said, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "If this brother...whose name I don't believe you've even told me yet...is angry with his sisters for being left out of the will, why leave and assault random women? Why not just go after them if he wants the Brandywine fortune in...what again?" She had remembered such a triviality a long time ago, but had forgotten what the Brandywines were so famous for.

"Does he think these women really are his sisters and has just lost his mind? If so, why? And why did he switch his MO from sexual violence to burglarizing stores? Stores that, as far as I can tell, have no connection to each other, which is why my reporting has been proceeding so slowly without much of a break until today. From what I've read, most criminals usually do not diversify their enterprises in such a way, let's just say. Did his accomplices convince him to join their gang, or do the sisters believe he was in a gang already? If he is new to their group, why did they recruit him? What are they after besides just terrorizing South Bend and getting pricey items?

"Sorry, my head is hurting. It seems as though this is getting rather more complicated by the minute," Alice said. "And I agree I'm going to need more than dinner to help you with this but am not sure what more you're prepared to offer."

Last edited:
Erin had been nodding along, puffing her pipe as Alice processed through what was said, and made her remarks.

She took the pipe out of her mouth and pointed the stem at Alice. "Precisely what has me muddled as well. It's why I said what I did when I first walked in about being in a bind. I'll try to answer your questions in order.

The man is far from being a kid. He just looks like one. The twins, June and Pearl are both around your age. 21. The oldest brother is my age or older. I was born in '65, making me 23. If you knew anything about the Brandywines of Radiant, I mentioned June, Pearl and Crystal. That would only leave one child's name. Jacinth. That would be the son. Perhaps the parents knew something about him and kept that from the girls, and since he was already getting nothing, nor could get it through any crime against his sisters, even if he made it look like an accident or burglary gone wrong, what would it avail him to attack them? On the same token, getting back at them had to have been going through his mind. Were they being guarded? That's a distinct possibility. Guards patrol the Brandywine estate and vineyard. The family is renown for their cooking brandy, as well as the other types, including medicinal, which I have at my own flat locked in my medicine cabinet. I often cook with the cooking brandy, when I have a notion to make Brandy Peppercorn Honey Glazed Ham or Plum Pudding, which has no plums. I have no idea why it is called such, save it's color." Erin explained.

She shook her head. "Again why I myself am in a bind. He searched for women that looked enough like his actual sisters? What he did to his victims, he fantasized doing to the sisters? For me, it's what happened to the clothes? The hotel maid s uniform would easily be recognized, and depending on what the waitress was wearing, it might also be recognized. Many areas have distinct uniform designs and colors. Are they buried somewhere along the path traversed on the way here, and what about the last victim's clothes?"

Erin shook her head again. "Ah. So you see the conundrum as well, and it has me perplexed. Is this gang why he changed his MO? Or is it as I theorized. Three sisters, three victims. Revenge complete. What to do now since he can't legally get his hand on the vineyard and estate? Burglaries, and with no connection that can be seen by the naked eye, does sound like the next logical step for a disowned son."

Erin sat up in her chair. "By Jove! That's it!" She slapped the side of her head. "No connection IS the pattern! Please. A piece of paper." She handed Alice's article back to her, and returned the pipe to her mouth. "A quill and ink well, also, please. Alice. I told you, you were the key. Recite for me the places hit and things taken. From what you just offered about a dinner, if you are willing, and you really have unlocked two cases.... I'll let you make love to me!" Erin would jot things down after making three columns. "Date, Place, Item(s) Stolen"
After putting the first date down of June 27th, she stated, "now. Starting with the first burglary, where and what was taken. Go to the second, give me date, place and what was stolen, and so on to the end. There's bound to be a pattern!"

Erin would have no problem keeping up with Alice reading everything off.

"A very puzzling set of circumstances indeed," Alice frowned. “I was born in ‘68 myself. July 12th or 13th, as a matter of fact- my parents were never too sure,” she laughed. And then Erin proudly exclaimed her new angle, that no connection was the pattern, and carefully scanned her articles from her vantage point below them while Erin was explaining what she wanted.

What Erin said next stopped Alice in her tracks before she could read off the list. Lightning could have struck her right then and there through the roof where she stood, and Alice wouldn't have felt more energized than she did now. Either this was an elaborate trap by the Church, in which case the Sperling-Watson Model 1867 revolver on her right hip that had seen through the Rebellion would have something to say about that, or Erin was for real and if so, it would take all of Alice's well-drilled self-restraint to not rip all of Erin's clothes off and dive between her legs before the smaller woman could say "By Jove!" again.

Still, Alice managed somehow and, climbing the ladder again, read off the list of dates, places, items stolen, and their value in ISRP if the brilliant, delicate waif in her living room who was making her more aroused by the second thought it would help.

"June 27th. Jareth Whaling Dock 17. One gallon drum of crude whale oil. N10,000.

"June 30th. Lux Home Illumination. One whale oil lightjar, model 1883. N100.

"July 13th. Barge Street Fish Market. One fresh seven-tailed golden Gudarian trout, 10 pounds. N40.

"July 15th. Tremaine & Sons Tailoring. One (very dapper) men's pinstripe suit and pants set. N350.

"July 22nd. Nick's Novelties. One octopus door knocker, imported from Olseka, capital of the Olsea Kingdom. N24.

"August 4th. Future Fountains Laboratories. One vial, owner refused to give description of contents or value, and armed guards made me leave before I could investigate further.

"Then the trail went cold until September 6th. Olive Transports. One clockwork starter gear for an airship. N565. (Inflation is a real dragon these days!)

"And then, finally, last night. ClockWerks. One Xen1 automaton. N1000.

"So," Alice said while clearing her throat, "before you tell me what you think all these things are related to and why our suspect and his comrades stole them in the first place...does 'making love' mean something different for one of upper-class upbringing such as yourself? Is it a joke? Do you take me for a fool? Because where I come from...different, more uncouth words are used for it.”

Thinking about those terms- “fucking,” “screwing,” “saying hello downstairs”- were all making her undercarriage run just the littlest bit warmer, like a steam pipe under strain.

“What you're offering is sex if I'm understanding correctly, and while I may have a very masculine appearance at times, I am in fact a woman, and homosexual relations are illegal in the Empire. Tell me...what is the truth here?"

Her hand casually drifted to her right hip behind her back just in case Erin thought she'd have to do something drastic to bring Alice's entrapped lesbian ass into the Knights.

Last edited:
As Erin wrote the items down, she decided to add the price as well, to have a full clearer picture of a possible pattern.

To anyone else, there wouldn't be a discernable pattern, but Erin Glascinte's mind was not a common, run of the mill one, she did put quill down and poured over the items again. As she was about to formulate a plan, Alice's question stopped her dead in her tracks and she looked over to the other woman with an eyebrow raised.

"There are many things I will never joke about." She said, as she walked casually over to Alice, removing the pipe once again. "And you're one to talk regarding how you mentioned dinner. Did you really think I wouldn't catch the how in what you said? Or the subtle body language since I came in, or the way you're trying to hide those now, and cover by spouting that nonsense at me? You and I both know which entity is really in charge of that law and why. Do you REALLY think the police are going to care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, when they don't regarding cases they don't deem important?" Erin had gotten face to face with Alice. "Drop the facade, Alice. You forget who's in the room with you." She pressed her lips gently onto Alice's, caressing a cheek as she kissed her. There was no tongue, except for a gentle brush on the outside of Alice's lips. The kiss was more than just gentle, it was passionate and loving. As their lips parted, Erin said, softly, "Consider that a down payment. I know the other terms. Just 'having sex' is not in my character. Making love is physical, mental and emotional; not animalistic. It's more than the act. Now, stop your silliness and come over to the desk where I was writing. There is a pattern. Once you see the items lined up, I'm certain you will see it." She pulled her gently toward the desk, as she returned the pipe to her mouth. "If I end up having to explain it, so be it. Before you ask me, however, ask yourself, what are all the uses for each item stolen. That's how I deduced the pattern. It's difficult to see, but I assure you... It's there. I just didn't have time to formulate the how they would all be used together."

Alice only took a moment to touch her lips that were now tingling from her first kiss. But she didn't let that on to Erin. "That is...quite the motivation to wrap this case quickly." Then she cleared her throat again and said, "Other than bringing a serial rapist and burglar to justice."

“Well..." Alice mused, "the whale oil and lightjar made me think at first that whoever this burglar was (remember, at the time I thought it was just one) was trying to sell some whale oil on the black market after acquiring it at a five-finger discount. An easy enough motive to understand. But then came the fish, gentleman's set, door knocker, and vial of...something, and I thought maybe it was the work of copycats because of the similar MO- a smash and grab in the early evening, before the evening shopping rush.

"Such as there is in South Bend, which has been steadily gaining some upscale stores in anticipation of newer, higher end flats that are pushing out old tenement buildings, so I also thought the robber was a merperson trying to get revenge on the store owners for their role in gentrifying the 'slums' as it were." Most of those had arrived looking to have a close commute to their work at Jareth Whaling's docks, and still had that, but were increasingly being priced out of living here, as were many of the working-class humans despite making more on average. Alice had only gotten this nicer flat because it had been bought by Mr. Sampson twenty years ago and was very glad to not have to pay rent on it.

"Then came the Xen1...and I was baffled all over again. Now, with your explanation of Jacinth's motivations, I'm thinking perhaps he and his mates are gathering a bunch of items to heist the Brandywine Estates. It would be easy enough for a monkey to program a Xen1 with its wax cylinder and needle aperture compared to the bulky and complicated Xen0 dial system, and then have it walk over a whale oil tank and detonate it, or perhaps throw the lamp over the vineyard to set it on fire, to serve as a distraction while they rifle the place. But the utility of everything else remains a mystery to me."

Last edited:
Erin chuckled at the remark after the kiss, "I would certainly hope so."

She then nodded as Alice explained previous ideas, before setting on the exact hypothesis she herself had. "Precisely! The only problem remains, since the list is incomplete, where haven't they hit to continue the pattern of no discernable pattern.

It's my thinking also that we're looking at a preparation to heist the estate and 'recover some of what he feels he's owed'," Erin purposely air quoted that last part of the sentence. "So, you get the whale oil and the lamp as a diversion .

Think. What are the Gudarian trout known for. One, they're fighting fish. What if he's surprised by one of the sisters during the ransacking? Ah, does the picture clear some? To not look out of place, how should he be dressed? If the fish is harming one of the older sisters all over her body, remember, he doesn't seem to want to rape his youngest. If she's the one to surprise them, the door knocker would make a good club. The trout attacks mainly the torso on a human. What is at the base of our torso?" Erin gave a hands out shrug. "Enough hits there, the victim may feel like they've been raped."

Erin pointed to the gear. "Someone in the gang has an airship. It took an overnight for me to get here, an airship does it in about three to four hours. Guess what it needed?" She tapped the spot regarding the starter. "The airship is both the way back to Radiant to pull this heist, and the getaway vehicle. The automaton is the means to create the diversion with the lamp and whale oil, and exactly where you said, in the vineyard, itself. The clothes to blend in like he belongs. The trout and door knocker in case he's discovered by his sisters. Starter for the airship."

After taking a breath and a few puffs of the pipe, Erin finally addressed both elephants in the room. "The vial actually should have been the easiest to figure out. Where was it taken from? A laboratory. And how did the owner treat you and your fair question?" Instead of answering for Alice, she just raised an eyebrow and smirked. Erin was sure it would dawn on Alice.

After Alice would answer, Erin turned back to the list of items. "What else would be needed so that there's no trace of him or his gang, afterwards? The clues are in the three victims themselves. How did he leave all three? Stripped of everything, correct? So what is missing to complete his agenda? What item or items could be stolen to strip the sisters of everything, yet would follow this random pattern of his?"

Alice was stunned yet another time in the space of three minutes by Erin's stupendous rundown of the likely plan of Jacinth's crew. "I understand all of that now. All those other women were- were fucking practice runs for something that is...beyond despicable! And if your deductions hadn't been matched with my facts on the ground, then they all might have gotten away with it. As for the last item- the vial- from your words, am I to conclude that it contains acid to strip the sisters of their clothing? Perhaps even the very flesh from their bones? That would certainly explain the lack of evidence on the other victims.

"We make a very good team, you and I," Alice grinned while rubbing Erin's shoulder. "But now, from the realm of theory, we should turn our attention to a tactical battle plan to stop this madman once and for all, whatever else he plans on stealing." She stood up ramrod straight as she folded her hands behind her back. "First, we don't know when and from where he has left just yet, so we must warn the sisters- if you would be so kind as to give me their scroll address, should they have one- giving them an opportunity to arm defenses such as pneumatically-controlled chainguns that they can manipulate using periscopes connected to a bomb shelter." These were becoming increasingly popular with the rich as social unrest brewed, so it was likely the Brandywines had purchased some of their own.

"Sure, those can be disabled by cutting the hoses, and he likely knows how to do so, but they, or any other security systems or personnel will still prove a valuable wrench in his plan. Which means that the next thing we need to do is beat him to Brandywine Estates somehow. An airship is out of the question because, if he has even a five-minute headstart, trying to catch up to him would put the engine under enormous strain. A state-of-the-art autocarriage might get there in around three hours, same as his ship, but these are expensive, even to rent, and tend to have trouble negotiating over dirt roads of the kind present out in the country. Dragon barns are incredibly hard to find these days compared to when I was little, when it was one of the few leisure activities we could afford aside from the occasional jaunt to Stormaway Beach. And even the fastest “icebreaker” train stops at Brandyville, which is likely over an hour away from the estates by other transportation, by design. So...what are a private detective and journalist in a hurry to do?

"Well, in August I passed my Owl Certification to pilot aeroplanes on a provisional license," Alice grinned. "Like I said, I've been fascinated with flying since I was a girl. And, ever since the great inventress Octavia Richards first demonstrated the reconnaissance and combat potential of hand powered ornithopters at a critical juncture during the Battle of Chenkarat Harbor in November 1884, and then invented the aeroplane in 1886, I've been dying to get up in one, and consider myself a pilot of some skill.

"We can probably get there in..." Alice did some quick math in her head, then shrugged, "...an hour or so? And then make an improvised landing in the vineyards. Or, even better, if we catch up with Jacinth before his airship can reach the estates, blow crucial systems to the Void and force him down in a fiery whale oil explosion.

"You see, I've decided that, should Jacinth resist arrest, he must die. This is the first time since I hung up my uniform and Golem armor two years ago that I've had to contemplate that course of action, but rapists like him deserve what's coming to them," Alice snarled as she pulled her Strauss Peterson 20-Gauge (SP20) lever-action scattergun out from a hidden compartment in the wall, loaded its revolving magazine with solid slugs more than capable of tearing through the outer layer of an airship's armor- enough to punch a hole for them to drive their rented aeroplane into in a fiery explosion if need be, or perhaps disembark and stealthily take them all out from the inside- then cocked the lever trigger to load the rounds.

"Have you ever fired a gun before, my dear Erin? They never say in the news, and you always bring your suspects in alive, but it's rather...elementary," Alice wondered, echoing Erin's use of that word. "So, I propose a challenge."

She then removed her corset without taking off her other clothes, threw it up in the air, and stuck it to the wall with a throwing knife and handed Erin her revolver- her most prized possession in this world.

"If not, I can teach you. Either way, if you can shoot my intimates down from over there, you get to keep them."

Last edited:
Erin shook her head. "Brains, Alice, brains." She said tapping her own temple. "I only said the three victims had nothing on, and Jacinth did not have the vial until recently. I doubt seriously it's acid, it's possibly something that can transform them. And since Jacinth has to "disappear" himself, along with his ill-gotten gains, he would still need something to make sure the SISTERS have nothing to put on. There is yet one more burglary to take place before he is ready to carry out the plan. I agree. Time is of the essence; the sisters must be warned to prepare. I have the Brandywine Estate address right here," she pulled the paper with the address out and handed it to Alice. "They have a copier office in their home and Crystal claims to know how to use it. I'm going to have to trust she does, as there's likely no second chance to get a message to them in time. Jacinth may strike sooner than later for the final item. The question is... What would stick with the method? A true weapon hasn't been stolen, does anyone sell a flamethrower or something else that could torch or otherwise destroy their clothes? That's what he'd go for."

She touched Alice's wrist slightly. "Let's refrain from killing him, and hope it doesn't have to come to it. Yes, what he did to the maid and waitress, two young ladies who were just doing their jobs and were victimized by a madman, deserves punishment, but think logically. What will happen to him in prison once it's learned what he did to those young ladies? The authorities won't be too happy with him either, especially if the latest victim, the one in the South Bend District, was related to one of them. That would be just desserts as well. Speculation on my part on who the family of the high school student is, yet it bears a nod at least."

She rubbed her chin. "An ornithopter could get us to the Brandywine Estate in an hour, you say? It could catch the airship? That may be the way to go, then, if we can't stop the burglary of the final item. Whatever it may be, but certainly a weapon to destroy the sisters' means of keeping their dignity."

A roll of the eyes and a smirk developed as Alice used one of her own terms regarding the revolver. "I am well acquainted with a revolver, my dear Alice. I have a small one myself. Don't much care for them unless absolutely necessary as they make a dreadfully deafening noise when fired." She listened to Alice's challenge. She watched as Alice did what very few ladies could, Glascinte, herself, was one who could not. With an amused expression and being handed the larger weapon (than hers, anyway), she took aim one handed. "I have a different proposal. Instead of keeping your corset, you teach me that trick of removing it, without removing anything else." She squint peered, lined up her shot, turned her head, covered her ear and shot the knife free sending the corset and knife to the floor. At the sound, she hunched her shoulders and gritted her teeth. Making a face as she winced. "And I thought mine was loud. Bloody thing's twice as loud as mine." She handed the revolver back and went to a slit in her dress to fetch her much smaller one. "I'll stick to mine, thank you." She grumbled, shaking her head and popping her ear with her pinkie.

Screenshot_20220909-175133.png
Erin's revolver.

Last edited:
"Well, Miss Glass-Ears, easiest questions first," Alice teased after she took a moment to process Erin's reactions. "First of all, I don't plan on killing him straightaway. I once fought a half dozen musclebound men twice my size with my bare hands, and none of them had more than a mild concussion. A soldier like me should know better than anyone that lethal force should always be a last resort, and how to apply it if at all. That's part of why Imperial weaponry is so loud- to intimidate the enemy into running away or surrendering where possible, or at the right resonances, neutralize mages temporarily before they can, you know, set our soldiers on fire or what have you."

That was the nicest way she could put her annoyance at the condescending civilian in the room, whose accuracy she was nevertheless impressed with- again, for someone without military training. She'd had to watch some of her foes blow their own brains out after being driven mad by a Goliath's horns and whistles, and she hoped never to have to use the shrieks, useful for communicating underwater, that she'd learned as a Golem to disorient Jacinth, lest Erin have nightmares. "Don't presume to lecture me on that point, and I will do my utmost to make sure Jacinth is turned over to the authorities peacefully."

OR you could just unleash us and let us feed on his soooooullll, an old and unwelcome group of friends whispered in her mind.

Shut the fuck up, she thought.

"Next," said Alice after clearing her throat, "how to remove a corset without taking off other clothes. I had to learn this in my encampments, because the almost unanimously male commanders decided to make female soldiers wear corsets to 'promote battlefield cohesion,' which was code for 'make us be modest instead of disciplining the men.' Really, it was for their own amusement as well. Same with making our Golem armor very tight-fitting while the male Golems had plenty of breathing room.”

Alice then started touching the small of Erin's back and shoulders in order to teach her how to slowly roll her shoulder blades, each in turn until her broader torso and arm strength decoupled the straps along the spine. Alice was thankful that corsets had advanced to the point where they didn't have knots, and fortunately for Erin, given that she had more delicate shoulders than Alice's, Alice's lesson would allow her arms to simply slip through. Then what she did next would apply to either woman. For the grand finale, Alice mimed the motion of pushing up along her blouse until it emerged through her neck hole. Or perhaps in Erin's case, down until it fell out of her dress.

After Erin was done with that, Alice continued, "As for the rest of the plan...first of all, it's an aeroplane, not an ornithopter, my dear Erin," with another laugh. "If Jacinth's ultimate goal is the vineyards, I think it would be a good idea to make the Brandywine Estates our base of operations, instead of rushing to head off another burglary until we know more. As for flamethrowers and the like, those are officially only allowed to be sold at Imperial Army requisition stores to soldiers who are specially trained, but I've heard gossip that a few occasionally 'fall off a truck' and end up in the sewers. That's the provenance of the Thieves Guild, I should think."

Last edited:
Erin nodded as Alice explained the plan with dealing with Jacinth. Her face only turned to mild annoyance as she learned why Alice's revolver was so much louder than the report from her own revolver. "Sounds to me to be a bit of a bother with the way some mages are starting to shield themselves with magics. Perhaps you know what finally brought that one down who was hypnotizing kids ala something straight out of The Pied Piper. I recall the weapon of choice for the mage was straight out of the fantasy. Magic infused flute. One of the attempts had been a cannon shot over her head. The report shattered windows in a block radius. Didn't even phase her. Something else later did. That happened around mid-December last year, and the winter solstice."

Erin got the hang of rotating her shoulder blades since some of her exercises required that; she had never attempted this with the corset on already, however, and she made a bit of a frustrated face , before finally getting it off. The rest was simple enough, and Erin stepped out of her corset. "Incredible use of your own body's physics to achieve the result. You have had plenty of practice, since it still took me twice as long for the same result you accomplished. And I was using gravity."

What you have proposed is all I ask. So there shall be no further lecture. I'm only expressing my concern. Consider it ended as of now." She seemed a bit perplexed with Alice's desire to head to the Estate. "I did mention that if there is another means beside the flamethrower to achieve the same result regarding the clothing. We cannot just assume it'll be the first idea unless none other exists. All probabilities should be examined first." She then again tried to hand the address of the Brandywine Estate to Alice. "Now will you be so kind as to send them the message to inform them of the discovery of our findings, to prepare for our arrival first, and then their brother's. If we're both right, we can expect the attempt on the Estate, with the diversion on the vineyard in a few days the latest. We, ourselves, should be on our way as soon as Crystal returns that she got the message."

That would be accomplished about an hour after Alice would send the warning.

“Well, we can debate the probabilities all we like once we get to General Redmond Memorial Airfield and get to the Estates, though we’ll need to take the SkyTram from South Bend Central Tram Station.”

It was an incredibly dangerous series of magnetized rails above the hustle and bustle where people with gauntlets attached to spring-loaded grappling hooks as Alice's could ride freely to their destinations- as long as they assumed the risk. Alice began putting hers on after scrolling the warning to the sisters, and receiving an affirmative reply within minutes.

“But you should know, I’ve had practice in more than practical clothing management,” Alice sighed. “If you…I…” she sighed with a hand on Erin’s gentle arm, afraid of confessing the truth.

There was nothing to do but speak her peace, despite nearly tearing up, and hope Erin wouldn’t recoil at the monster standing before her.

“Most magic is used by elves or those with elvish blood. They’re easy enough to deal with since they usually are slow to cast spells, since they were developed when our best ranged weapons were bows and arrows and even the strongest shields go down with enough firepower. Meanwhile, humans, for whatever reason can only use magic in one of two ways. A hereditary connection to an unknown force called The Darkness-”

YOU LIIIIIIEEEEE! boomed in her head louder than any cannon shot that she’d commanded from her Goliath.

“-or finding a magical artifact such as that flute you mentioned. I should know, because that ‘something else’ that brought Maria Romanovich down was me,” Alice sighed.

“People like that are even more dangerous. The Army was about to send 10,000 troops and five Goliaths to blow up a beginner school with her and 100 of her brainwashed kidnap victims inside. That would be like using five fifty-ton” (the weight of am average Goliath, though some could be heftier) “hammers to kill a fly…so after their failed cannon boom, I negotiated with her to let some of the children go as a show of good faith, led her outside of the room to oversee that, then shattered her flute with my revolver and shrieked at her with the full, high pitch of my Golem training while she tried to shield herself with its remnants and the children covered their ears and ran.

“When I was done, her shield was obliterated and she wasn’t dead, but she wasn’t really alive behind her bleeding eyes either. It was as if I had shouted any consciousness away from her. She’s a vegetable in a military hospital, being experimented on to this day.

“Maybe…maybe you should find an airship and go on to the Estates without me, Erin. Now that I’ve helped you solved this case, I’m a danger to you. I didn’t deserve that kiss, and I don’t deserve your offer to make love to me. Just- just go. It’ll be better for the both of us,” Alice said as she fell back in her chair and began to cry, hating herself once again for showing this woman she’d met mere hours ago the depths of what she was capable of.

Before any kind of supernatural rage.

Last edited:
Erin patiently listened, puffing her pipe as Alice bore her soul, in a manner of speaking. "Nonsense." She finally stated as she was shooed. And Alice broke down in front of her. "Not your story. That's fact and can be easily proven. Not the explanation regarding magics. Research can provide proof there. Again, you forget who stands before you. Nonsense is regarding the case and you being a danger. The case is not solved until Jacinth and his gang is stopped. Before any farther damage is done. There's still the Brandywine Estate and you have already relayed to the sisters WE will be there..." It was at this point Crystal's reply would come. We look forward to seeing both of you. Thank you so much for the alert from twins June and Pearl. Signed, Crystal Brandywine. Erin sighed. "I believe that's our cue to be off. Now, enough moping. I'm afraid I don't have means to use the Sky Tram. I have no gauntlet or grappling hook of my own. Had no need for one until now."

After taking a breath and again pulling her pipe out and pointing the stem at Alice, Erin continued. "Romanovich. That's right. Regarding her, you did what you had to to save the city and it's future from a threat. An extremely dangerous woman as you just attested. If it wasn't you, it would have been 10, 000 troops and five Goliath's. That would have been a massacre, and you and I both know it. Innocent brainwashed lives would have been lost. Didn't one of our authors state that 'war is hell that leaves only victims'? You gave those kids a chance to grow up, despite the horror you had to unleash. Now, come. I need directions to this airfield. I have one of those new motorized bicycles with a sidecar. Not exactly the best transport, either, but it beats trying to walk." She headed for the door after returning pipe to her mouth and puffing.

Screenshot_20220910-083718.png
Erin's transportation

“You’re right, enough moping,” Alice said with a grateful kiss to the tinier woman’s lips just before they opened the door, with hands entangled gently in her hair for a rare moment of peace. “I was going to suggest you hang on to me, which…could have been fun. There is a reason the SkyTram is free- it’s risky, especially when busy- but it’s also exhilarating, especially when combined with some rooftop parkour and wall running. You have to try it sometime.

“Still, if you have an autocycle, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before but would be very excited to ride, then it does for sure beat any of the forms of Tram- Sky, FlatTram or UnderTram. However, if you don’t mind, I think I’d rather hold on to your waist while sitting behind you, like in the advertisements for this machine,” Alice grinned as she slung her scattergun on her back and folded down her grappling hook into her gauntlet. Usually, of course, that role would be fulfilled by a woman holding a man, but Alice could dream of being free in the wind with Erin, whether it was up in the air or down on street level.

Last edited:
Erin might be athletic and even a bit daring at times, but really didn't rule at least trying something at least once. However, the more Alice talked about that, the less she actually liked the idea. "Hmm, regarding this Sky Tram, I've of the mind, 'I'd rather not, thank you', as that description leaves me thinking you're really tempting the Fates. Just for enjoyment with the variables so numerous and not even in your control? There's taking chances, and then there's that. It's for you, all well and good, but it's not my cuppa tea."

She led Alice down to the street where she could see the autobike and sidecar for herself. After Erin unburied it from it's hiding place between two buildings and covered in cardboard boxes. "There she is. Now granted it technically has three wheels, making it a motorized tricycle, but it's advertised as an autobike or motorized bicycle. Perhaps another time you can ride behind me, with a different seat than I have now, but the sidecar is closed in as you can tell, and you actually have room to not have that blasted gun right in your back. It can't be comfortable sitting."

She took off her deerstalker, handed it to Alice, and put on her leather helmet and goggles. "Wiggins, a helper of mine in Radiant City, is always on me about getting a second helmet for the sidecar. Safety for the passenger, she says. I really need to stop procrastinating on that, but only the driver is required to wear a helmet. I got this with a sidecar so I can transport a client, or pick up Wiggins or one of her compatriots who help on cases, but it's really not often enough it's used. Ah, such is the single life." She smiled at Alice. "Ready? And we're off!" With a roar, the engine came to life, and Glascinte and Guthrie were off for the airfield.

“Not just for enjoyment…but if I can get there for free, and get a rush out of it, why not? I used to get six miles of parkour in every day, and really should get back to that, shouldn’t I?” Alice asked herself rhetorically. “Anyway, hopefully you’ll enjoy your first aeroplane.”

“I do have a helmet, but uh…it’s rather conspicuous looking,” Alice added, hinting that it was her Golem helmet. “As for the gun, I’ve managed heavier guns on my back under worse conditions.” As in her rivet and spear guns while cramped with a hundred other Golems as their Goliath landed on the bottom of the ocean.

“You should definitely introduce me to Wiggins sometime!” Alice beamed. “And let us, indeed, be off!”

It wasn’t like the streets were much better than the SkyTram, though. As it was getting later, there was much more traffic, especially to the newly renovated Cleinsia South Bend as families craved an affordable and crime-free place to relax, so their motorized whatever it was inched slowly until reaching Willitts Street, the main thoroughfare through Utriesthe District, an upscale office zone on the eastern bank which thankfully only had an easily dodged Goliath to slow anything down. And the only other thing that bothered them on the way was the sound of thunder.

But once they got to GRM Airfield, Alice frowned with dismay as it seemed like an invasion was being planned from there, as all the airship, aeroplane, air screw, ornithopter, and even dragon hangars were locked down and nearly two dozen Goliaths were flexing the might of the Empire by occupying most of the landing strip. The Army and its lumbering hardware were getting involved in this kind of thing distressingly often due to working class protests, interspecies tensions and now crime that the RCPD and Eye were too slow to respond to.

The only hangar door that wasn’t closed was clearly ripped open, as if by some colossal beast. And both the air traffic control electrospectra transmitters were in ruins.

“Thank you for the pleasant ride, Erin. Anyway, I think I know what they stole next,” Alice said as she exited the sidecar. “That’s a plane hangar. The gear for the airship must’ve been a diversion for them to pose as repairmen. But each plane fits only two people, so perhaps Jacinth went on with the automaton. There must’ve been at least two other people in this gang who detonated the whale oil tank- what was left after giving the lamp some of it for the automaton to commit arson with, perhaps from the air- to either open the door or destroy the transmitter- slowing down the ability for anyone to call for help or track where their compatriot was going.

“Perhaps whatever was in the vial was another substance designed to accomplish the other destructive task. Despite this, I think the thunder we heard was that Verdekranger trying to knock Jacinth’s plane out of the sky anyhow.”

Erin nodded. "Prove your mettle and meeting Wiggins can be sooner rather than later, as in immediately after the case is brought to it's necessary conclusion."

Ten minutes into the stop and go traffic, and Erin sighed dejectedly. "Or not." She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "We're off alright. Off our bloody rockers thinking we'd get to the airport quickly without hanging in midair without a net. Finally." As they continued on and the sound of thunder could be heard, Erin looked up quickly before continuing on. "Unless the echoing has thrown my sense of direction off, that came from the direction we're going." She gunned the motor as she and Alice raced on.

Erin shook her head as she looked around at the commotion, but Alice drew her attention to the weapon. "That would indeed. I did say it sounded like it came from this direction, but with all the buildings where we were ten minutes ago, and the way it echoed?"

She knocked the spent tobacco out of her pipe by tapping it against her boot and followed Alice. "I see they're as on top of things as ever." She stated, shaking her head. Seeing an army officer patrolling, "My good woman! We need a plane as we must catch that plane, as they are the culprits behind the rash of burglaries here, and are bent on taking out Brandywine Vintners, the Estate, vineyards and all... If I can have five minutes everything would be clear. It's the disowned son seeking revenge on his sisters."

The particular brass glared at her, however, as she waved a fellow officer over, she said roughly. "You have exactly five minutes, Glascinte. Talk. You're lucky, I know you and your reputation, and the ex-soldier with you."

As Erin explained everything from the beginning, including how the Brandywine sisters were involved, but more importantly, Jacinth was the person they've been after all this time, one could almost see the wheels turning, the gears moving, but the glare and scowl stay in place. The way Erin would spell everything out in just under five minutes, it would be, to use her own catchphrase, "Elementary" to see that time was indeed of the essence. It didn't hurt Alice was nearby, a veteran of war, or that Erin's own reputation preceded her. But would it be enough?

Last edited:
Alice remained as stone faced and reserved as she usually was around people she didn’t trust while Erin explained the situation. Meanwhile, a mutual respect was also forged across sight lines between fellow soldiers Alice and Paige Atkins even while Paige muttered to the other woman. Both took their time processing what it was exactly that they would need to do to get Erin what she wanted while staying within regs.

“Well, I’ll be, if it isn’t Colonel Guthrie,” Sergeant First Class Viktoriyanda "Hammer" Thompson chuckled to herself as she broke off her conversation with Paige, and her junior sergeant cleared the way despite Riya’s unusual garb not immediately showing off rank. The two had climbed the ranks quickly due to their exemplary service for their country; Alice as a Goliath pilot and Golem, Riya as a Verdekranger pilot. “Bitch, how you been?”

“Been doing good for myself, Riya, real good…listen, we’re in a bit of a rush right now. Could you spare us a plane?”

“Look, I’d love to, Allie, but my orders come from the highest level. I can’t risk it looking like we don’t have the situation under control if we start saying that two planes are missing. That’ll start a panic in one of the fastest-growing”- Read, expensive as fuckmake to rent, Alice thought to herself- “parts of this city. You get me?”

“I do,” Alice muttered as she thought on it further. “Here’s what I propose. You temporarily recommission me and say that you sent me out looking for these titanheaps. I get you back this plane we’re borrowing. Empress is your grandma.”

“Okay,” Riya smiled. “I see you, Guthrie,” she grinned and patted her fellow vet on the back.

Thank the Void, Alice sighed mentally. We’ve wasted just about enough time already.

“On one condition.”

“Name it.”

“You’ll owe me a favor one day. You won’t know when or what it is, but if I ever scroll you again and ask you for something, you do it. No questions asked. ‘I got your back, you got mine,’ remember?” Something they’d promised to each other over the sonic reprojectors of their twin hulking weapons platforms.

“Deal.”

Minutes later, Riya was bellowing for another plane hangar to be opened. Alice got on a flight jacket and helmet with sonic reprojector, as well as a chaingun to mount between the seats of the Richards Mark I she was flying, which she lifted with ease. Erin was also given a set of flight gear of her own and instructed to follow Alice as she lifted herself up into the pilot’s seat in one smooth motion.

Last edited:
As the two veterans conversed, all Erin could do was sit back and watch, wait, and hope. Finally it looked like they would finally be heading up and quickly to the Brandywine Estate and Vineyard, Erin put on the odd helmet and flight jacket and followed quickly.

"It's been near an hour, just since that cannon fired, we must away posthaste." Erin cried. "Thank you, ladies! We are indebted!" Erin didn't know how true a statement she had made.

The two hours ride was silent except for the propeller droning along. Mostly because the world's greatest detective was also the world's leading expert in acrophobia; mainly because she suffered from it. Slunk down in her seat, eyes tightly shut, Erin Glascinte didn't bother to look around or at the scenery. She also completely missed what Alice couldn't as she flew around the manor house. Crashed into the roof was the plane they were searching for, while the vineyards burned with red, yellow and orange flames.

Smoke also poured from the bedrooms where the plane crashed, which were those of the twins. Two girls, a younger and older were fleeing from the house in unmistakable terror. They were too late.

The fire crews of both the Estate and Radiant City were fighting valiantly the blazes in the vineyard and appeared to be gaining some headway.

The youngest was frantically waving to Alice and her all but passed out passenger, and pointing, seemingly directing her to a small airfield in the middle of the property. It would be the first time Alice had seen Crystal Brandywine.
Screenshot_20220911-011643.png

Erin groaned and muttered about feeling sick, still refusing to open her eyes. It would be apparent by now why Erin had wanted no part of the Sky Tram. She couldn't stand being this high off the ground, and especially with no fence or glass to keep her from falling. It'd be no surprise if the usual stoic, logical detective would actually emotionally kiss the ground once her feet was back on terra firma.

Pearl would be the one to greet the arrivals, constantly looking back towards the manor. "My sister is still in there! Fighting the survivor, I think. I hope."

There was still no sign of the other twin sister, who was actually still in the manor, on the first floor, getting the crap beat out of her by the fighting fish. She was still near the turrets, and already had the one pilot trussed up like a turkey or goose ready for the oven. It wouldn't be until after Alice landed before she would appear, after having to fire the turrets again, naked save a gun of her own on her back and bruised from her other battles already, with countless fin marks all over her from the damage the fish affected on her body. After spitting out some blood, and just spitting, period, was unladylike, she held up the dead fish on a hook. "It was a helluva battle, but who wants dinner, after we save the rest of the estate, that is? You must be Alice, hope you're good. Brother is certifiable. June Brandywine." It was like she didn't care she had nothing on but her gun.
Screenshot_20220911-010657.png
June Brandywine. Pearl Brandywine.

Last edited:
“Sorry about that, Erin,” Alice winced as she landed on the dirt airfield whose trenches had managed to shield it from the tongues of flame Jacinth had inflicted, thinking her passenger had just passed out from G-forces.

“You must be Crystal, then,” Alice said after disembarking to the smaller woman with long hair and a tiny umbrella. “And Pearl,” she nodded to the tall twin who still had clothes on and wasn’t cut up.

“And good one, June,” she added to the naked woman holding the dead trout. It was much too bad an innocent fish had to be used for evil, but from what she’d heard, many a Gudarian fisherman thought the sweet, almost lobster-like white meat was worth risking life and limb. So it would most likely be a very good dinner indeed.

Alice couldn’t help but get aroused by how hot the naked twin looked, especially with her confident, battle hardened stance. Ever the soldier herself, however, she focused.

“I’m good, and Erin has seen better,” Alice said, her thumb pointing back to the unconscious detective. “Okay, introductions aside, where’s Jacinth?”

The question of Jacinth’s location was rapidly answered by a column of fire shooting up from the ground underneath an Imperial Fire Service truck, sending it hurtling clear over the vineyard and airfield before exploding upon landing on the ground. This was followed by a maniacal roar of, “Hello, sisters! Come out and plaaaaaayyyyy!!!!”

June’s programmed turrets (that had probably also taken out Jacinth’s plane, in Alice’s estimation) then immediately replied with a hail of bullets. With the level of fire magic Jacinth was demonstrating, he would only need minutes to set the machines on fire and then start breaking his way into the vault, but that would give Alice just enough time.

“Take Erin and RUN, as fast as you can, to those woods over there. If I’m not able to stop or drive away Jacinth, then as long as you hide and don’t draw attention to yourselves, the Army will deal with him.”

Likely by turning what remains of this estate into a crater with more artillery than sense. They really, really don’t like taking their chances with mages. Then again, the way elves took over the world in the Day of Fire, and how much we had to throw at the few Bamban mages we encountered in the Rebellion, proves that anyone with magic can’t be trusted not to be a threat, Alice thought but did not say. Even me.

Alice then saw that June had a remote detonator, and put her timed grenade in the front seat of the plane. “If you see him crossing the airfield, then push this button. Spectra waves will start the timer and it’ll take five seconds to blow this plane sky-high. It should slow him down.”

With that, she began running while crouched headlong into the fray.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom