Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

There's a New Girl in Town (a Supergirl yuri Frozen Princess x Kevinn)

Laura had arrived around four, two hours into the massive restocking project, and an hour before she was supposed to, and as per usual, did her best, silently working with her employer to not only fill the Chief's normal, yet massive weekly order, but replenish the depleted shelves. It was probably the hardest the college coed ever had to work first thing in the morning, but was less exhausted than Jessica, allowing her employer to unlock and open the front door while she handled the first rush. The other woman even offered a fist bump and a jovial, "I'd never leave a friend hanging." At the time of her arrival.

Kara Zorel came in, and it would be the first time Jessica would hear her speak. Her voice would remind her of Supergirl's, but it seemed somewhat lighter and airier. Like she had a mental handicap that she never really let bother her. Even if she did what most polite high schoolers did when greeting the baker. "Hello, Miss Jessica. See? I remember. Six-thirty, you said. Sorry, I wasn't first. I was fifth. The line was already starting when I got here at six-fifteen. I'm here for dad's order. Sixty donuts, forty-five dollars. He said the five dollar tip is yours since you had so much work to do this morning." Laura would take the fifty dollar bill, passing the change to Jessica, and handing Kara the package. "I got it. I'm stronger than I look." She assured both ladies and beamed ala Supergirl. The day was just getting started.

Lois did stroll in and, although she usually DID come in on Friday she would surprise Jessica with what she said. "My usual. But it's actually for Perry, so make it like he likes. Extra icing and boxed." She didn't seem her jovial or snarky self. "Smallville hasn't shown up yet, but Perry did get a text from her at six-fifteen. I got the same one. Jess. We're both worried. We haven't heard from her since. It's NINE-fifteen." She pointed to the silent TV. "You might want to turn that on. We have it on at the paper. Huge accident on the interstate."

The text said, Hey guys, just heading out to catch the bus. I just missed my express, but the 66 also has part of its route on the interstate. I might not make my seven o'clock deadline. Miss Lane? I'll text you when I get to the bus station.

Cat Grant, the Daily Planet news anchor for the TV portion, a redhead slightly more rust than Jessica's would be on. At the freeway, near the very Bob Evans they went to the night before, which was clearly seen in the background, was a massive wreak. A city bus was among the huge pileup. Supergirl was standing nearby. "Thanks, Miss Cat. I was on my daily patrol of this area, when the tanker flipped, as fast as I am, I couldn't stop the pileup. Including the Metro 66...

Lois covered her mouth with both hands, and her sobbing "NOOOO!!!!" would be heart wrenching as that bus had obviously by look, been fully engulfed in flames. She feared the worse and didn't even hear that Supergirl told Cat she had rescued EVERYONE before the bus had become engulfed. There were a bunch of injuries, some lost property, but no lives. At least from the bus. Of course everyone still had to take the mandatory trip to a hospital to be checked out. By the look on Laura's face, she didn't hear it either. She was in complete shock. She shook it off and tried to focus on helping the few office stragglers that were there. Lois began weeping, "Smallville... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I let my jealousy from being better than me and breaking my record in steno cloud my judgement.... I'm so, so sorry..." she went to her knees crying in her hands.

Last edited:
Jessica had an unexpected surprise as the girl joined her. She hadn't told her to come in early, her helper taking it on her own initiative to do so. Thanks to Laura, things went more smoothly and Jessica made sure to thank her before they opened up, promising to make it up to her before covering her mouth to hide a tired yawn. There was no time to be sleepy, the morning rush was about to start and she was a woman on a mission.

The fifth customer in the line was Kara, the police chief's daughter, coming just as agreed to collect the large order. "It's nice to see you again Kara." The Baker replied with her signature smile. The girl certainly didn't speak quite normally but that, of course, didn't bother the baker, it made Kara unique. "Thank you very much, thank your father too please. I hope they enjoy! Have a wonderful day Kara Zorel." Just as quickly as she had come in, the girl had her order in hand and was turning to leave, giving way to the next customer.

Eventually Lois would come in, asking instead for Perry's order, rather than her own. Of course even if she didn't ask for hers, Jessica had already prepared the cinnamon bun for her as soon as she'd seen her. As she spoke however, Lois didn't quite seem herself, explaining how Kara hadn't shown up at work. The two cinnamon buns were on the counter when the baker turned the volume up a little on the TV, just enough to be able to hear what was being said.

Jessica suddenly went numb. The sounds around her muffled, her vision blurry as she stood behind the counter, unresponsive. The last thing she'd heard was Lois scream. It took a few moments for the baker to finally breathe once again, her senses slowly returning to her as Lois began crying, on her knees, apologising to Kara. Though she hadn't realised it herself, Jessica had tears streaming down her face, moving around the counter, over to Lois and crouching, hugging her. "We.. We don't know for sure.. Maybe... Maybe she wasn't on it. Maybe she's alright.. Maybe... Maybe..." She didn't know what else to say, tears streaming down her face non-stop as she moved Lois away to a nearby table, sitting her down on a chair.

"Lois... You need to go there. Please. For both of us. I... I can't leave Laura here alone." Jessica's face was clearly in pain, her stomach turning. She wanted to shout, to throw up, but she had to be strong.. For Lois. "Kara.. She can't be.. You have to find out Lois, you have to-" Jessica trailed off, her face pale, her hand firm on the table, holding herself up. "Kara..." Eyes shutting, the baker fell off her chair, falling on the floor, on her side, unconscious.

"Supergirl patrols that area at six-thirty, Jess, that WAS Kara's bus! I rode it once when Kara first came to Metropolis, and even told her if she misses her express that takes her directly downtown, that was the one to take. The ride was longer and had more stops..." She shook as she began crying again.

Laura rushed to her employer's fallen side and then out and flagged down Grace on her hourly patrol by, her frantic waving even brought Supergirl down from the sky, although it was only meant to bring Grace. She apologized to everyone as she herded the customers inside to the side and asked those at the door to make room. Both women rushed to the two, Grace trying to get Lois to calm down, especially after she went hysterical over Jessica's collapse "I've lost Kara! I can't lose her, too!"

Supergirl picked Jessica up. "I'm a lot faster than the ambulance, Officer Grace. I don't know how long you'll have to wait. Lois. Stop. Kara is in the hospital with smoke inhalation. She's very much alive. You need to pull yourself together, get back to the Planet, and let them know that you heard it from Supergirl herself. Kara Kent is okay, just hospitalized with smoke inhalation." She held Jessica in a princess carry as she pushed her way out of the bakery shop, and would take Jessica to the same hospital her alter ego had been admitted. Jessica would find herself on the second floor in the same room as Kara Kent, but the bed was currently empty and the cover drawn back.

Laura would be left alone to watch the bakery anyway. Which she would do as stellar as ever. She actually hoped Jessica would somehow be back before one, when Beth was to come in and take over for her.

Something had told Beth to be early, but unlike Laura, who was only an hour early, she'd come in just before the mad lunch rush at eleven. This was her dream job, after all.

It had never happened before. It was the first time Jessica had ever lost consciousness that way. There was no reason for it either, sure she hadn't slept all that much, but it wasn't so bad, was it? The news about Kara, Lois' reaction, it seemed like it had all tipped her over the edge.

"Ufgh.." The baker groaned as she opened her eyes. Her head felt fuzzy and her body heavy. It took her a few moments before she realised she wasn't in bed, her first thought having been that she had to get ready for work. The realisation quickly came however that she was not at home and she had already been to work. The memory of what had happened quickly flooded back to her and then she remembered.. "Kara!"

Although she had just fainted from exhaustion and the anxiety from the news she'd received, the first thing she did was jump out of the hospital bed, searching for a nurse. It wasn't long before she tracked one down, just outside her door. "Hi.. Excuse me, yes, I, you need to let me go, I need to get out, Kara, she... I need to know. Please." To the nurse, she was probably just babbling seemingly random sentences but Jessica was too worried to think clearly.

Fortunately it seemed the nurse was well informed and she tried to calm the baker down. "Miss Hawthorn, please return to your bed. You fainted due to exhaustion, we don't want a repeat of that. Your friend is perfectly safe, you need not worry about anyone else other than yourself. You won't have to stay here long if you don't wish to but at least, stay down for another fifteen minutes, though you should really rest for the day." The woman guided Jessica back towards the bed, one hand on her back.

"She... She's really OK? She's safe?" Jessica lay down on the bed, starting to cry once the relief settled in, the anxiety beginning to ease up. "I thought.." She took a deep breath, trying to calm down. "She's safe." She repeated to herself.

Fifteen minutes would turn into the top of the hour. Meanwhile, not even two minutes later, Jessica would hear, "But I keep telling you guys, that's completely normal for me. I grew up on a farm, I'm not used to this smog! I've only been here a few months. I'm probably not acclimated to your dirty air!"

The nurse pushing the wheelchair, into the room, tutted. "Metropolis air is nothing compared to Gotham or Los Angeles. Miss Kent. We do not like seeing it under 90. That's why you went to that breathing test and all those monitors. When your doctor gets the readout, he'll be in here. It's up to him, and your willingness to do as you're told. Right now, you're going to get back in that bed to rest. Discussion over." She parked the wheelchair and put the brakes on, allowing Kara to get herself into the bed. Kara did so, but muttered under her breath the entire time.

The RN noticed Jessica awake, "Well, Miss Kent, looks like your roommate has come to. Say hi and then both of you... Get. Some. Rest." She then left to go to the next patient.

Kara looked over to see who it was, and just about had a relapse, since her breath caught in her throat. "Jess?! What happened? Is the bakery okay? Are you okay? No, of course you aren't you wouldn't be in the hospital. Dumb, Kara, real dumb. You're supposed to be a reporter."

Meanwhile, Laura would be getting the surprise of Beth coming in, "I know Miss Jessica said noon to finish my paperwork and then take over for you, but something just told me I needed to come in early. Wait... Where IS Miss Jessica?" She noticed the beginnings of the lunch rush. "Crap. Never mind..." She grabbed an apron, had it on and was soon getting orders or actually serving those who would sit for service, smiling as she filled the requests. "Diet Citrus Drop, can. Lemonade. Prune danish and two donuts with the strawberry icing for table three!" She called to Laura before rushing to pick up the eat in order. "Enjoy, I'll be back to check... Um, as I can." Beth hated to admit it, but she hoped Jessica would be back soon from her errand (she guessed) soon, too. It was soon standing room only for both the tables and the go line.... Well, it was Friday lunch AND the first of the month.

A big sigh escaped the baker as she had nothing else to do other than wait. She was rarely one to remain idle for long, usually the busy bee she was at the bakery and then always tidying up at home, reading a book, watching some Netflix or thinking up new pastries for her shop. Laying in bed with nothing to do was simply not her. It did, however, mean that she quickly picked up on the all too familiar voice approaching the room, listening to its complaints and the nurse's reply to these.

As soon as the nurse turned to walk out of the room, Jessica would immediately disobey her instructions, jumping out of the bed, rushing over to Kara, arms spread as she embraced the woman, leaning over her bed. "Kara! I.. I thought you.. Lois said.. And the news! It was too much. I couldn't.." Tears began to trickle down her face once again, the baker trying to calm herself down, slowing her breathing and bringing the tears to a stop before pulling back, moving back to her own bed.

"I thought I'd lost you." A worried smile on her face. "Apparently I fainted from exhaustion.. I think I may have overworked myself a little. It has been a crazy twenty-four hours. Mum must be worried and Laura.... Laura! The bakery! Oh dear, what time is it? I have to get back! I can't believe I left her alone!" Once more she was quickly going into overdrive.

Fortunately it wouldn't be too long however before the nurse would come along with good news for the pair. If things went smoothly, perhaps the baker could still make it back in time to help with the crazy rush the girls were currently working through.

Kara would hug back. "Come on, I've seen worse, was in a barn fire as a little girl." It wasn't a memory she was proud of. She accidentally STARTED that fire by knocking over a lit lantern. And even after Pa Kent had told her NOT to be in the barn after dark or light the lantern. The Kent's literally wore out a lot of switches on her bare bottom that night... The first of many signs Kara was special and going to be special. She still learned her lesson, never being in the barn again after dark. Jonathan learned the same lesson, and he was her Pa.

She nodded, "Supergirl rescued me and all the other passengers. Wasn't THAT mentioned? I saw Miss Grant's interview with her. I thought she said that..." Well, if Lois wouldn't have jumped to a very human conclusion too soon, Jess and Lois BOTH would have heard it.

Kara did her (somewhat) best to calm Jessica down, using a soothing voice, but she couldn't put her all in, or she'd definitely be found out as Supergirl. "I'm sure they're fine, from what you told me about Laura and Beth at dinner. They'll do their best. Isn't that why you hired them in the first place?"

Upon being told they'll both be discharged, as apparently the more modern equipment in the breathing test room said Kara's oxygen was at "110E", so she could also leave the hospital, they both got their clothes... Only they had to switch bags, and Kara would embarrassingly grab her bra from Jessica, blushing very red, due to the little Supergirl S and shield on one of the cups. "Okay! Yes! I'm a huge fan! Even more so since she saved my life today.... Don't tell Lois, please! I'll NEVER hear the end of the wisecracks!" She was so frustrated, it took her a few tries to hook the front clasp bra on.

Since they had to be pushed in wheelchairs out of the hospital, they would be able to hold hands while the nurses strolled side by side to the exit.

Outside Kara got out of the wheelchair first to assist Jessica when an impatient double honk from a familiar car was heard. They could hear Lois holler, "Both of you, come ON! The bakery's swamped, and you gotta story to write, Smallville.... I hope!"

Laura and Beth would be thrilled to see Jessica, Beth moving back into a server role with two behind the counter, but neither would be able to really ask Jessica anything until after one when it quieted back down. Not before, at 12:30pm, a tour bus pulled up and Candy Pop herself got out with an entourage and bodyguards surrounding her. She picked a female bodyguard/security and two others to come in with her as she made her way to the counter with them, setting a small gift bag on it. "Hello, Elizabeth. You said your employer gave you the winning ticket? Is she here? Can I see her, please?" The blue and pink cotton candy colored haired pop star asked.

Candy Pop
Screenshot_20220825-213434.png

Even if she did say she'd seen worse, it didn't mean that Jessica would worry any less. If anything, the baker couldn't help but worry a little more, wondering just how often the reporter got herself in these kind of situations. As far as the news report earlier, it was true that both Jessica and Lois got caught up in the moment, making their assumptions before listening to the whole thing. The memory was a bit of a blur to the baker and one she would rather forget sooner rather than later.

"I really hope they are. I did hire them because I trust them but.. They're both still young, it's not fair on them, I'm supposed to be there." True to her usual self, even after what she'd just been through, Jessica was still more worried about the pair at the bakery than she was about herself.

The cute brunette next to the baker wasn't the only one blushing. Jessica herself blushed as her cute pink bra was in Kara's bag. It seemed they had been swapped. Although embarrassed, she still paused a moment to look at Kara's bra, noticing the Supergirl symbol. "I'm.. Umm.. A fan myself, I get it. Who wouldn't look up to her." She comforted her, aware that Jessica herself was a huge fan, her room including a poster or two and her search history full of Supergirl articles and fanclubs. Of course nobody knew about it, being her guilty pleasure.

A blush coloured Jessica's face on the wheelchair ride to the hospital exit as Kara took her hand, the two holding hands the entire way. With a deep breath, getting herself ready for the rest of the day ahead, the baker stood up, Lois apparently there to pick them up. "Lois!" She said in surprise, hurrying into the car. "Thank you. I can't believe I left them alone. Sorry if I worried you."

It didn't take long to get back to the bakery, Jessica rushing in without being able to give the girls much of an explanation for the time being, thanking them instead for their help and quickly getting behind the counter. The place was so busy and Jessica so focused on the task at hand, that she hadn't even realised the tour bus that stopped just outside, or who came into the bakery for that matter. It wasn't until she heard the buzzing of the people around her that Jessica looked up, eyes widening in surprise.

The day had already been crazy enough. Jessica had been up since early, barely slept, fainted from exhaustion, rushed back in to work and now, there, in her shop, just as Supergirl had come in a couple days earlier, another famous figure suddenly stood there, apparently asking for her. "C-Candy Pop?" She asked, wondering if maybe she was still in hospital and this was all a dream. "How Umm.. Can I help you?"

Lois shook her head, and flat out lied to the baker. "You didn't worry me half as much as I was worried about Kara. I wouldn't have anyone to yell at." Well, the last part was a half truth. She was more worried for her cub reporter. It wasn't for the reason she gave, though. "Smallville, you had me-us worried half to death. Did you have your phone confiscated?"

Kara shook her head. Jessica would have noticed, since she'd had Kara's belongings in her bag, there was no phone or purse. In fact, she'd had a wallet. It was a ladies' wallet, but still... Was that also a farmgirl thing? "I lost my phone on the bus, Supergirl said she's replacing all of our phones that got lost in the inferno the bus became when the tanker blew up." She didn't even look up.

Lois just tutted, with a sigh, giving Jessica the look that screamed dating Kara Kent would also mean taking care of her. She was going to have her hands full with the accident prone reporter. In other words? Pure pity.

Elizabeth was waiting on the tables when Candy came in. She couldn't believe that when she won the chance to meet and talk to her, Candy would actually come to the bakery. Nodding like a grinning bobblehead, Beth pointed to the counter, telling the pair of businesswomen it would be a few minutes before she could shout their order.

Pop star smiled at the baker. "C-144 was the winning ticket to come back stage and meet me, and sing the last scheduled song on stage with me. Elizabeth, there, said you gave her the tickets, because your date had to cancel. This gift bag has two copies of my latest CD, autographed. I assume the Daily Planet reporter is a big fan as well, and a large Tshirt of my world tour logo on the front and tour dates on the back. I might have grabbed the wrong size, but I'm sure you'll wear it in good health." She gave her trademark smirk. "Elizabeth also raved about your danishes. A dozen assorted, please. Six regular and six cream cheese." She then picked an apple, apricot, mixed berry, cherry, pineapple and cinnamon for her regulars. Orange, cherry, blackberry, apple, lemon and plain on the cream cheese ones. This caused the businesswomen to both change their orders to one of the dozen the pop star ordered. "How much do I owe you?"

Danishes we're higher than the same amount of donuts, which were 12 good sized ones for ten dollars, but how much were they really? Especially when Candy insisted on paying for them, citing there wasn't a good bakery in her hometown. She wouldn't be returning there anyway for about eight months. Coffee Landing Cafe being the closest to a true bake shop. That would give her hometown away to the only person who would have even learned it, Elizabeth, of International Falls, Minnesota. Unless Jessica also knew the city.

Elizabeth would finally call back the danishes "A lemon cream cheese and blackberry cream cheese for table 7. Prune danish and a coffee for counter." The old man who had hit on Supergirl smiled and waved at Jessica. "Powdered lemon filled and Pepsi for table 2. I'm coming back to pick up."

The blonde pop star quickly got onto the subject at hand, informing the baker as to the reason for her visit. She wasn't sure if to jump and celebrate that it had been the winning ticket, or to sigh and regret that she and Kara had missed such an opportunity. Either way, she could hardly do more than try not to stare and listen to what Candy Pop said. "Oh wow.. That's really, really generous of you. I really don't know how to thank you for thid, It's such a surprise, so amazing to meet you!

Jessica's only way to repay the pop star for her kind gesture would have been not to charge her, or, at least offer her a discount. The blonde seemed insistent on paying however, leaving little room for the bakery to argue anything back and eventually accept, quickly getting to work on the order. "I really would rather you didn't pay, it's the least I could do after you came all the way here, however, if you insist then so be it, it's $18 for the dozen. I did throw in an extra one however, call it a baker's dozen extra. It's the latest addition to the menu, approved by my friend Kara too." Jessica gave a smile.

The orders didn't seem to stop coming in, even while Candy Pop was in the store, the lunch rush still hadn't quite slowed down. Fortunately the big order for the pop star was quickly prepared and packaged her, payment swiftly carried out and allowing the baker to catch up to the other orders with her usual speed. The lunch rush was almost over and, once it was, the rest of the day would probably quiet down. She needed to rest, as per the doctors orders, but how could she while the bakery was open? It was her business, her baby.

"I was already in town for the concert, it wasn't like I came from very far away!" With a little wave and thrown kiss to the baker, giving a few autographs to admirers in store, the pop star was out the door with her danishes, on her bus, and off to her next city on her tour.

At just after one, Beth came back around the counter as Laura asked her boss to please sit down and take a break. She and Beth could handle the few remaining stragglers as the lunch rush mercifully ended. Beth would even continue her server role, asking Jessica what she wanted to eat and drink. She had surprisingly took every order, getting it right, without writing it down first. She'd only do that when she'd stop to make the tab for the eat in order.

There was still the matter of Beth's paperwork and getting her signature, but even the high school teen wanted Jessica to catch her breath, citing she could see how tired she was. Sure, she wanted everything all nice and legal, but gently reminded Jess she really hadn't had time with the explosion the day before, and it being the first of the month.

The afternoon edition of The Daily Planet would have Kara's report on the massive pileup on the interstate, as well as her account of being on the Metro 66 that was involved. It would include an interview with the Fire Chief Patricia "Pat" Benson, and Police Chief Conrad "Connie" Zorel, along with deaths and injuries including the poor truck driver, some local man, proving, unfortunately, Supergirl couldn't save everyone. She was fallible after all.

Despite the loss of a few people on the interstate, Supergirl's reputation and admiration would continue to grow, even Lex Luthor would be quoted as saying, "You know, that alien is alright. There were no deaths at the apartment collapse, and she just couldn't be everywhere on the interstate. There would have been far more deaths without her."

Of course, the afternoon edition wouldn't land on the Hawthorn residence until five in the afternoon. Unfortunately, Kara would also be too exhausted to show up at the bakery. The next day would be her interview as Supergirl with her mentor, and Lois had insisted on the bakery.

Last edited:
First Supergirl, now Candy Pop.. Jessica couldn't believe her humble initiative, her little bakery had taken on so much popularity. Ever since the article was published by Kara on the daily planet, things had begun to change quite quickly. The baker had to consider a possible expansion, maybe even hiring someone that could help with the baking once Beth had to return to school. Though she appreciated the help from the two girls, most of the baking was done by her. She was sure Beth would probably enjoy learning but the girl had enough with school.

Once the rush had calmed down, the two girls suggested, or rather, instructed her, to take a seat and let them take over. The baker asked her newest employee for a normal cream cheese Danish and some water, sitting down at a table near the counter in case she needed to help out. Of course Jessica was never one to simply sit still, so, even though she may have been tired, she had to find something to do. The baker began to prepare the paperwork for Beth, thinking in the meantime how she could reward both girls for their tremendous efforts.

After a small rest, before getting up, she asked Beth to take a look at the paperwork and sign if she was happy with it. She was sure the girl would be happy with it. Soon enough, once it was all signed, Jessica got back to work for the rest of the afternoon, asking Laura to take off a little earlier as a thank you for her help, making sure the girl got some rest too. She would handle things along with Beth the rest of the afternoon, it proved much calmer but the baker still let out a sigh of relief as she closed off for the day.

When she finally arrived home, Jessica took her shoes off and dropped down on the couch. She reassured her mother that she was alright, comforting her that the hospital said it was all good and she just needed to rest. They read the news on the interstate accident. It seemed that Supergirl hadn't quite been able to save everyone, making the baker feel theat much more thankful and fortunate that Kara was still alive. Even if she hadn't saved everyone, the fact that Supergirl was in Metropolis was a blessing, many more would have died if not for her. Even the millionaire Lex Luthor had come out complimenting her.

As night came, Jessica went to bed earlier than usual, deciding perhaps it really was best to heed the advice of the nurses. It certainly proved to be so as she was knocked out almost as soon as her head touched her pillow.

The next morning, when she woke up, the baker felt much more energetic thankfully, facing the day with a big smile on her face as she stepped out the shower and went about her daily routine. Normally she would have left some things ready but she had been too tired the previous day so it took a little longer than usual to fill the displays at the bakery. By opening time however, everything was ready and with Laura at her side and her bright smile back on her face, she was ready for the day.

Beth was more than happy with the paperwork, signing her full name like she would have on her social security card. Elizabeth Laurel Firestone, it would read in cursive writing. Sure, she might go by Beth and Betty (people for some reason choosing the former nickname more than the latter) but for business papers, her parents, and especially her mom, would always push her to sign her full legal name. So, she did. She had earlier served Jessica exactly as she ordered, with her own bright smile, asking her to call her back over if she needed anything else. Well, yes, completing her paperwork for her job! She was then given a 6a-230p shift for Saturday. Beth opened her mouth but was quickly silenced by being reminded, by of all people Laura, the hours she had already put in. Noon-530 Thursday (paid with the tickets) and 11-close that day, Friday. She promised Beth starting next Saturday, she could work all day with Jessica if she so desired, nodding to her boss that if Beth wanted the 12 hour Saturday shift, 5a-5p, including helping bake, Beth could HAVE the 12 hour Saturday shift. She'd come in noon -close.

Saturday morning 845a

"Are you sure you don't want your Cinnamon Roll, yet, Miss Lois?" Beth asked the Pulitzer winning star reporter for the Daily Planet, trying hard to smile, but worry showing through.

Lois checked her watch for the umpteenth time in the last fifteen minutes. "I'm sure, Elizabeth, just another coffee, please, and a few more creamers." Lois said, shooing the girl who was only doing her job. Just as Beth set the coffee down, Supergirl walked in. "Well, it's about time, young lady! When you tell someone a specific time, you do your damnedest to be on time! What if this had been an interview for a job, here, huhn? What would you have told Jessica about your ability to be punctual? I swear! You're more time dense than Smallville, and that's saying something! Sit! You're lucky I'm in a good mood. I thought you said you didn't have anything to do this morning? Isn't that what you said over the phone? Rhetorical. Let's get started..." She then nodded to Elizabeth who nodded back and called Lois's cinnamon roll order to Jessica.

Laura couldn't help aside to Jessica as Supergirl just asked for a root beer, forgetting that's usually what she ordered as Kara. "Dang, Miss Lane just tore Supes a new one, and she just sat there and took it."

Lois lowered her pen. "My Lord. You ARE still in high school, aren't you?! I can understand Kara Kent only drinking root beer, that's pretty much what to drink in Smallville, Kansas. I did finally get her to switch up to tea, and chocolate flavored coffee. She turned me onto that Sunkist Orange-Mango soda. Don't you drink anything else?"

Supergirl shrugged. "Other sodas, water, soda water. Something about the carbonation, I guess. Except the water."

Lois groaned and nodded. She'd already read Supergirl the riot act for being late. Even Jessica would be able to see Lois was ready to open up some more lecture about all that pop couldn't be good for Supergirl no matter where she was from.

"A&W ok, Supergirl? I don't think Miss Jessica has any other kind." Beth asked and after Supergirl nodded, Beth called, "Bottle of A&W root beer! Coming up for pickup!"

The interview would last until almost noon, and when Supergirl left, looking a little embarrassed, Lois approached to pay her bill. "Jess... We need to be careful around her. I'll also warn Grace about my suspicious. Unless you can when she comes in. Normally, I wouldn't, but everyone with a crush on Supergirl should be careful, because if she IS a minor... She can't be more than 15 or 16... She's jailbait. She has to be a high school student. She even admitted, when pressed, she recognizes Elizabeth." She looked to Elizabeth who looked unsurprised. "As an 'upperclassman of Metropolis Central'. You are going into 12th right?" After Beth nodded, Lois returned her gaze to Jessica. "I don't know how to take that part about being from Krypton, maybe an overactive teen girl's imagination, because I can't help but believe her when she said she didn't take drugs and they were 'icky'. Sounds like a high school student to me. I won't print what I can't prove, so don't expect this story until I verify it. Too much was far fetched, but somehow believable, at the same time." A sigh, "Thanks for the use of the bakery for the interview. How much do I owe you for the three coffees, cinnamon roll and Supergirl's root beer?" Lois was ignoring one major clue. The root beer.

Though the usual line had built up outside the bakery in the morning, there was no Lois or Kara.. Or Supergirl to be seen. Lately it had become a familiar sight to see one of them waiting to get in. Instead, she had her usual familiar faces, some neighbours, some people getting in before work and some tourists. The article that Kara had written had somehow been published on a travel website as one of the must visits in metropolis, leading to a constant stream of tourists, mostly during peak hours.

It was only quite a while later that Lois arrived. The baker had almost forgotten that the reporter would be conducting her long-awaited interview at the bakery. It did make Jessica a little nervous, wondering what kind of commotion would build up but she was always happy to see her favourite hero - and Lois of course. It seemed however that, much to Lois' dismay, Supergirl was fashionably late. The reporter refused her pastry until the heroine arrived, a wait which proved longer than the woman seemed happy to take.

If Lois' expression and the tapping of her pen hadn't been enough indication of her annoyance at Supergirl, the way she scolded the blonde star as she entered the bakery would have certainly given it away. She wasn't wrong in what she said of course, but she certainly seemed scary saying it. Jessica's first thought was to thank the heavens her mother hadn't scolded her that way, almost letting out a giggle at how the heroine was being told off. It almost reminded her of how Lois was with Kara.

Other than preparing the order, Jessica didn't quite interact with the pair, she tried her best to focus on the customers, not letting her excellent customer service falter, but she did also keep an eye on Lois and Supergirl. She couldn't really overhear anything that was being said, having to judge on how it was going simply via pure observation. The interview went on for far longer than she'd expected, Lois been the thorough reporter she was and knowing she may not get another chance like that.

Supergirl seemed to leave almost in a hurry, looking a little rattled, or embarrassed perhaps. One could only wonder what Lois might have asked her or even told her off for. Once the heroine was out of the door, the reporter approached to settle the bill, but not before she started speaking to Jessica. The baker's jaw almost dropped at the suggestion that Supergirl may have still been in high school. Of course the basis for it wasn't all too solid, simply judging the heroine on her preferences, but, it was Lois saying it. As everyone had grown to know, the reporter did have a sense for things. It did make the baker feel slightly odd, seeing as she secretly idolised the Superhero.

"I honestly don't know what to say.. Do you really think so? What about the symbols.. I saw them once, you think she would have made up her own language too? What about her parents, does she have any?" The baker had plenty of questions to which the reporter would likely not know the answer to either. "I don't think we should jump to any conclusions, I'm sure she's old enough to know what she's doing. She's a Superhero, even if she doesn't take such good care of herself, that's what we're for.. Right?" She tried to shift the attention slightly as she calculated Lois' total. "Anyway, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it." She reassured the reporter with a big smile. "That'll be $12 please, and you know you can use it anytime, you're always welcome here Lois."

Lois nodded. "That threw me at first, and she didn't have a sample except in her own handwriting. When it came to her flying, super strength, speed and other physical attributes, all I got was a bunch of normal, Earthbound advanced science and physics. With no published books in this Kryptonese, those symbols are nothing more than some made up code that only she knows. I need to check some old articles of various papers around the world for this cousin she claims to have. He's supposed to be younger than her. Yet, get this. Supposedly left Krypton the same time she did... As a baby. So, how hard could it be to find someone else with her powers, and around her age?" A shrug. "Yes. She's got the intelligence the way she spouted physics at me. Stereotypical nerd. Stereotypical blonde. Foster parents. Amazon adopted aunt. She doesn't know who her real birth parents are, just a name and spelling. Get this. Look." Lois gladly showed it. Five letters, except for a dash, that would be very familiar. Zor-El "Her birth name, except for the e being capitalized, looks VERY familiar, Jess. I have to ask the police chief a few questions about his family to see if a brother or sister of his gave a daughter up for adoption. I'll bet you a day's work this is all going to have an Earthbound answer. If I'm right, you shadow me for a day. You do have Laura and Elizabeth to take care of things here. If I'm wrong... And facts state she's an alien like Lex says without proof, I work here one day of your choosing. Deal?" She put out her hand for a shake. Either way, Lois would win, because she'd have one hell of a story. Either a day in the life of a baker, or Supergirl revealed as a normal Earth girl with extraordinary powers.

Last edited:
Jessica listened. Closely. Lois did make some good points. Just because Supergirl wrote these symbols, doesn't mean that she was an alien, or spoke a different language. It could have very well been made up by her. However, why go through such lengths? The heroine showed her face every day while saving the world, she asked for nothing in return and had nothing to gain from having people believe she was an alien or creating her own language. It was the part about the cousin that really struck the Baker though. It was very true that if there were anyone else with her powers, surely they would have heard something. How long could someone actually hide something like that? "Hmm.. I don't know Lois. Maybe the cousin didn't come to Earth? Or maybe-"

As Lois moved on to mention the name Zor-El and how familiar it seemed, she had cut off the baker mid-sentence, surprising her with the information. Without Jessica having much of a say in it, Lois seemed to have roped her into her game, her hand out to be shaken in agreement. Jessica sighed. "I'm not sure this is such a good idea Lois.. It's the police chief you'll be asking, he's a nice guy but you might offend him saying such things. I really can't imagine what kind of experiments would give anyone the ability to have such powers, especially not flying.. But.. " Another sigh. "No matter what I say I guess you're going to go ahead and do it anyway." She laughed. "Fine. It's a deal. Get your apron ready as you'll be here soon then!" She called to her playfully.

As they shook hands, a large group of tourists came into the bakery. Jessica had made friends with one of the tour guides who came in and tasted her pastries after the article had been published and the woman had agreed to bring in every tour she managed to get her hands on to try 'the best pastries in the US' as she had called them. The baker quickly got back to work, asking Lois to please be careful and not offend anyone in her search for the truth about Supergirl, and dealing with the large group that appeared not long before the lunch rush. Fortunately she swiftly dealt with the group and offered the guide her usual chocolate-filled doughnut, giving a few minutes to prepare for the oncoming rush. While waiting, her mind drifted to Kara, wondering what the cub reporter may have been up to, thinking whether she should text her, perhaps ask to meet after work, it had been a long time since she'd done anything fun, aside from their date the other night.

Lois smirked. "I'll have my apron ready, but will you have a pen and notebook ready if I DO prove she's Earthbound? Thanks for reminding me..." She jotted down the name STAR Labs as she left, giving Jess a wink and finger gun salute.

Elizabeth seemed disappointed that the lunch rush actually fizzled out around a quarter after twelve. Two groups of tourists, the one that came in just as Lois was wrapping up and leaving, most of which went right back out, and a much smaller group not with any touring company, that ate in.

Laura got busy with something in the back, as Beth checked to see if Jess wanted a 15 minute break. It seemed slow for a Saturday, which wasn't normal, especially since the article.

Supergirl had been heard, making sonic booms across the sky, but more often than not, seemed to be over the bay, and as two-thirty drew near and Beth being sent home until Monday, she had to ask. "What are we or you... It won't be we until next week... Going to do with any extra donuts and pastries when you get ready to close, today? Or are you going to start opening on Sunday? If you do... When would your day off be? You deserve one, too." Beth seemed genuinely concerned for her new boss. She had always looked up to Jess for the last two years, and now, as her employee, wanted to look out for her, as well.

Kara Kent came in, looking run down, tossed her notepad at a table and sat in the chair, rubbing her face and knocking her glasses askew. The time was 2:28pm.
"Good afternoon Miss Kent, welcome to Hawthorn Bakery, I'll be your server, Beth. What can I get for you?" Beth asked brightly with a grin.

Kara groaned. "See if Miss Jess has an ibuprofen and some tap water with a little ice..." She rubbed her temples. "You must be the new girl I heard abow-OWT!" Grimacing and wincing, she grabbed her head. Supergirl had just got her first migraine, and it was worse than any villain she'd ever faced before in the last month plus. Good thing she was in her civilian identity of Kara Kent!

Jessica chuckled a little at Lois' rebuttal. "No need to worry about that, I always keep a pen on me and a small notepad, just need to upgrade that little note pad to a bigger one if the need arises." The baker may have been humble but she did love a challenge, and, though many probably didn't know it about her, she was quite the competitive spirit and didn't like being wrong.

With the lunch rush dying out fairly quickly, it gave Jessica a comforting breath of fresh air. Of course from a business perspective, it would have been far better to have a long line of customers in waiting and empty out her bakery, but after the last few days, the baker just needed a rest above all else so when Beth asked her if she wanted a small break, she quickly agreed to it, going round to the back and dropping onto a chair in the kitchen area, yawning as she did.

The small break was enough to have the baker almost falling asleep, a fierce battle against her eyelids to stay awake. As the afternoon passed, Beth would soon be finishing her shift, leaving just Jessica and Laura. "I usually take some to any shelters in the area, but, if you want any, feel free to take some, there's plenty. You've certainly worked hard enough to earn that and more." The woman smiled, comforting her newest employee. "Don't worry about me, I'm still closing on Sundays, I clearly need to get some more rest than I have been as of late and I intend to make sure I do." Her words were honest though deep down, she knew herself, she couldn't help overworking herself if there was a need for it.

The biggest surprise of the afternoon was seeing Kara walk in, almost as if she'd read Jessica's mind earlier. She'd walked in only minutes before Beth was due to end her shift, the girl diligently taking the cub reporter's order. The baker was already on her way to the table to greet Kara when she heard her, watching as she grabbed her head. "Are you alright Kara?" She asked, concerned, approaching a little more rapidly. "Did you get enough rest like the nurses said? Or have you been overworking yourself?" Quickly she began to 'mother' her. "Hold on a second." She said, disappearing into the back of the bakery.

About thirty seconds later, Jessica reappeared with some ibuprofen and water for Kara, taking a seat next to her since the bakery was fairly quiet. "Here. Swallow this and drink some water. Tell me what's going on."

Kara shook her head and waved for Jessica to sit, or at least it looked like it. She downed the medicine in a flash and drank most the water. Beth quickly topped it off before going to sign out. Kara was the only customer. "Damn Navy and Supergirl war games.... My head is killing me thanks to all their sonic booms over the bay today. Hephaestus is banging the hell out of his anvil, and the rest of Princess Diana's gods and goddesses are having a bowling tournament in my head, including my sinuses. Ugh." It would sound like a migraine for sure.

Kara told on herself as well as the Navy. Now, Jessica would know what all the racket was from just after noon until two. Apparently, Supergirl wasn't alone setting off sonic booms and they weren't ALL sonic booms. She pointed to her notebook for Jessica to see the notes. Apparently the two parties had taken turns being the enemy. The Navy recording ten hits and so did Supergirl as the 'good guy'. There was even an interesting remark on the Navy's fifth hit on Supergirl. "Oof! That one hurt! Right in the face!" Again, a seemingly first person account of Supergirl's seventh hit on the Navy. "To the moon, Lt. Commander Alice Kramden!"

Back to the present, Beth didn't bother Miss Jessica with what she took, two lemon filled donuts (her favorite), and two strawberry whipped cream filled (her mom's), but wrote them down so Jessica could keep track of the inventory. She did wave and made a sign to Miss Jessica as she left, about the autographed CD Candy Pop had brought for Kara that was in the gift bag.

Since Laura was letting Beth have the 12 hour Saturday shift, Beth's mornings to help Jessica bake would be Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. At least until school started on the 25th (A Monday, but Beth would have to leave the bakery for school no later than 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and only be able to work an hour and a half after school). Then, it would only be Saturdays.

Meanwhile, Kara whined as she continued to hold her head. For a farmgirl, she was a real baby when it came to migraines... But then... Aren't we all?

It had seemed like an excessive amount of noise to be coming from the blonde Superheroine alone but Jessica hadn't really questioned it until Kara explained the source of those, previously accepting it as just a busy day in the life of Supergirl. She giggled a bit as Kara explained what it felt like. "You know, I'm starting to think Lois is right, not so tough for a farm girl!" She stuck her tongue out playfully at her. "You shouldn't have been out there after yesterday though... But! Since you came all the way here.. I do have a little surprise for you."

The baker shuffled around behind her, pulling something out of a bag while waving at Beth as she left. Turning back to the beauty sitting with her, Jessica stretched her hand out, holding in her hands the autographed CD by Candy Pop, giving it to Kara. "Guess what famous person popped by the bakery to drop this off!" She spoke excitedly, perhaps a little louder than she should have. "Apparently the tickets you got were the winning tickets and Beth told her about our date."

Jessica gave Kara a few moments to take it all in, hoping it would also serve to cheer her up a little. It wasn't however the only surprise she had for the reporter. "There is a little something else though.." She smiled excitedly. "Wait here." The baker rushed off the seat, into the back of the shop, returning only seconds later with a plate in hand, placing it on the table for Kara. "There's a special delivery for you. One very special, still experimental, Orange-Mango Danish." The baker blushed slightly, always nervous when giving a new flavour to someone. "I hope you like it." Her fingers started to fidget on the table, eyes looking down at the Danish.

Kara hadn't been watching if Jessica had checked her notes and pointed to her notebook. She had rewritten things from shorthand to regular, since she wanted someone besides Lois to proofread it. She whimpered and winced, eyes tightly shut and teeth clinched as Jessica talked about Candy Pop's visit, and the winning ticket. Rubbing her temples, she complained, "Jehh-essss! My head! Owwww!" It wasn't a put on for her, it was the first migraine she ever had in her life. She let the grimace fade to a smile as she looked at the autographed CD. "Wow. One of our seats won..." Although she was obviously elated, Kara knew better to jump for joy. One, she'd give herself away for sure, because she'd have been through the roof for sure, literally. Two, the migraine was painfully real. And three, any fan knew they would have also sang with Candy... On stage. Missing out on that was a major disappointment. "I wonder what song Elizabeth sang on stage with her. Usually it's Girl School Daze since it's about Candy's first girl crush, which was also her best friend. The fan usually sings as her best friend she's crushing on."

Kara smiled best she could at the danish, and hoped for once her jaw worked right. It felt like it was unhinged, as every time she opened her mouth her head hollered. "I'll let the medicine start taking effect before I try to eat it, but it smells wonderful. I couldn't see this being with cheese cake, so glad you didn't try that... Your marmalade you use for your orange cheese cake one I really like, so that's a plus." She realized what she said, (No wonder she said it as Supergirl and Lois actually blew up over it) "I'm sorry. I meant cream cheese. Sorry. I did that to Supergirl, too."

Last edited:
Too focused on the woman opposite her, Jessica hadn't quite realised the notebook, or its contents at least. It wasn't until the reporter pointed at it that she understood she wanted a second opinion on them. In the meantime however, it seemed that the migraine was only getting worse. Of course Jess had no idea that this was Kara's first migraine ever, or how dangerous a migraine could be considering her secret identity. Even her reaction to the surprise that Candy Pop had left for her seemed somewhat underwhelming, albeit understandably so. "It really is a bad one, isn't it?" She finally said when Kara refused to eat the danish for the time being. "Are you sure you should even be here?" As she asked, she was still reading the notepad. "It's no wonder you've got such a migraine, were you even wearing any protective gear while there? Anything to help block the noise?" Her tone was almost offended, upset at Kara's lack of care for herself, not that the baker was any better.

With a sigh, Jessica lay back on the chair, thinking about what she could do to help Kara while she apologised for mistaking cream cheese for cheese cake. It was only as the reporter mentioned Supergirl that Jessica actually recalled the superheroine making the same mistake. Though it wasn't enough to raise suspicion as to the fact that they were the same person, seeing as it was a mistake that the baker often heard for some reason, it certainly made her shake her head with a slight laugh. "You know, you and Supergirl are actually not that different. She made the exact same mistake and got a big earful from Lois. Have to admit it was sort of funny to watch. Even she struggled to take on Lois. Anyway, how about we move you into the back? I can turn the lights off there, it'll probably help that migraine of yours, you can even close your eyes for a little while if you like. On the bright side however, it's good to see that your writing hasn't suffered. I honestly don't know how you could write in the middle of all that noise." She returned the notebook over to the reporter, offering her hand as she stood up to help her into the back.

Kara nodded, rubbing her temples, as the questioning began. "Lois would just yell at me. At least you're not yelling." She commented about being at the bakery. "I don't dare go home, I'll get yelled at over the phone." Although she could hear just fine, Kara knew she had to make up some viable excuse, so used the one Lois had while interviewing a pit crew of the racing champion during the final race. "Have you ever tried carrying on a conversation with those bulky earphones they give you? You end up having to take them off altogether in order for you to hear the interviewee answer your questions," she shrugged, then mentioned the actual event during an interview with a Navy Admiral about the war games. "Even the admiral I was interviewing had to finally pull them off so he could hear my questions. And I get it, 'Ma Hawthorn'... I just didn't see an alternative." She'd save the quiet, scolded puppy routine for when she was scolded by Jessica as Supergirl... After all, she'd already unknowingly started that when she was scolded by authority, which is what started the rumors of Supergirl being a high school student. Might as well keep that part of the image going.

She grabbed the danish after sticking notebook under her arm, took Jessica's hand, and followed Jessica back to the back room. Laura just merely shrugged, used to Jess helping people out. Kara blushed at how she and Supergirl weren't that different because of what she called the danishes. "Uh. I just admitted, I called them cheesecake when I told her about them. I guess it would go to figure she would, considering her source." She tried to recall the incident. "I, uh, gotta wonder... I mean, Lois does have that power over a lot of people. Do you think she's really a high school teen, then?" Kara sort of winced. She didn't need to be a reporter right now. She needed to get rid of the killer headache. Being quiet and closing her eyes would be exactly what was needed.

Last edited:
Kara's reason for not wearing the headphones was fairly sound but it wasn't enough for the baker, not when it meant that she had been risking her safety and wellbeing all just to cover a story. Surely she could have done the interview after the training between the army and Supergirl was over, in a more quiet scenario. Of course Jessica herself was in no position to say otherwise and hence, she didn't, she simply accepted Kara's reasoning while giving a soft laugh at being called 'Ma Hawthorn.' She did have a tendency of quickly defaulting to a motherly, somewhat overbearing perhaps, personality as soon she saw someone suffering, specially someone she cared for like Kara. She had tried to hold back, to control it in the past but it was just who she was, she couldn't help but worry, and, deep down, she sometimes also enjoyed the little lecture she gave along with it.

As the pair entered the back of the bakery, Kara asked about Lois' hunch on Supergirl. Jessica didn't reply quite yet, first taking her time to place the reporter down on a small two-seater couch she had at the back, dimming the lights and closing the blinds. "That should do a little better. Light really doesn't help when it comes to migraines." She smiled, sitting next to her. "As for Supergirl, I don't think she's a high schooler, I certainly hope not too as I may have had a crush on her too. Not sure how I'd feel about that if I found out she was in high school." She laughed, admitting her crush to Kara. "I understand why Lois might believe that but I think behind her appearance and personality, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes. I've got no proof of that of course but I'd like to believe I'm good at reading people." She smiled before returning to the matter at hand. "And you, what I can read on you is that you need to close your eyes and rest for a little while, so you do that. I'll be at your service should you need anything." Blushing slightly, Jessica leaned in, kissing Kara's cheek.

Kara nodded. "I know the feeling. You saw my Supergirl bra. At least she waited a month before showing up here. But still, over the fourth of July weekend?" A shrug. She didn't realize the irony of it at the time, but she had picked the most family oriented summer holiday to appear as Supergirl. "You're right of course. A few hours will help. We can talk later." She had to smile at the kiss to the cheek.
>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

By closing time, Kara was awake, but there had seemed to be that final rush from 3:30-5:00 that happened every Saturday when people would come in to get their daily dose of donuts for the next day as well. Even Grace showed up for her two apple fritters... The last two, as the patrol officer had been instrumental in making them popular. One more tour group had come in, and even Laura hoped that Severe Storms Safari wasn't a bad omen. Jessica would know better. Once a month, usually on a Saturday, they usually did come in. March to November. In fact, they were the first out of towners to come in, and that was by accident. Literally. They had to go around an accident and then got stuck in a traffic jam right in front of her fairly new bakery at the time, a few years ago. They were back once a month after that. It couldn't be proven it was the leader of the tour, but over that winter, the travel guides started mentioning her bakery as a "Metropolis Must-see". Kara's article this month sealed the deal. It just didn't catch fire until the article was printed and joined the tour guides online.

Kara handed the plate to Jessica. "Almost as good as the soda, just a little too sugary. Think the mango may be too sweet, so try it on me again with just the marmalade mixed with the mango and no added sugar. Might not be as popular as your others, but it'll be unique. Thanks for trying." She knew she was going to have to show up as Supergirl either Monday or Tuesday morning when the bakery opened to see if Jessica had time to try to make the jalapeno cream cheese danish.

Back
Top Bottom