Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

To Be Chased Through the May Fields

"I completely understand," Hayley said on the video call. "I was always the extrovert in my family, everyone else just wanted to be in their own little bubble. But, I'm glad you're a fan of all that cool nerd stuff. What's important is that you never give up on your dreams. D'you have a favorite character?" She skillfully avoided how Cari was studying law; perhaps she'd read the tabloid articles that suggested her father is ruthless and controlling behind the scenes. Meanwhile, Alex had put the car in gear and was slowly making his way towards the diner.

Extrovert? That word was utterly distant to Cari, she only knew the meaning but never was too brave to live that way herself. Shielded from the world until she was of high school age, Carolina's social skills were seriously underdeveloped and she could simply thank Tessa for making her capable of doing the basics around people. Hearing Hayley talk about it, she just nodded as she was more than familiar with living in her own bubble. If it was up to Cari, she would only very rarely leave her own little bubble world as the real world seemed way too serious, way too terrifying.

"I...I guess..." Cari spoke quietly, very much aware that the world was now moving since Alex started driving. "I'm gonna say Doctor Strange." she chirped in her own shy way. Under any other circumstances, she would be able to talk about Strange forever, for days, weeks even. Alas, the situation she was facing now tied her tongue. Cari was acutely aware of what Alex wanted to do and he meant well but deep inside, it was way too difficult to overcome her anxiety, all those walls, all her insecurities her parents had helped to build.

Alex was well aware of the walls and insecurities that Cari's parents had built up, and it was his life's goal to break down each and every one of them. There was a song, a very powerful one for her, that when he sung it, it helped her overcome them, temporarily. It was 'You Don't Own Me' by Saygrace, and he tried to sing the female parts as best he could while squeezing her hand reassuringly, his other hand on the steering wheel.

Feeling his hand on hers, Cari leaned into that touch and tried to draw as much as she could from it. Courage flew through her, even if it was just a tiny bit of it. Cari visibly relaxed, closing her eyes for a short while. Indeed, her father, or her mother for that matter, didn't own her, she was her own person. She didn't have to be afraid anymore. And once this year was over, once she got her degree, she would be free to soar, free to go "gallivanting around" as her father always put it.

"It's really kind of you that you found time for this, Miss Atwell. I would appreciate it very much if I could borrow your uniform." she smiled at the actress in front of her, squeezing Alex's hand. Her cheeks still burned with crimson but at least her heart beat went a little down, reducing the chance of a heart attack.

"Lovely! So here are the sizes for the costume..." Hayley rattled off the measurements for everything, including the shoes. "D'you need me to change anything? If not, there's no need to tell me your measurements, I'll just have it all packed up straightaway." Alex, meanwhile, squeezed Cari's hand back and whispered, "Why don't you talk a little more about Dr. Strange?"

Cari silently repeated the measurements in her head and compared them to her own. She quickly did the math in her head and told Hayley what adjustments she needed. It was actually fun and the idea of wearing the exact costume that appeared in the movie was making her little nerdy heart swell with excitement. Her own costumes were ready to be packed as well and she was absolutely ready to take the Comic Con by the storm.

When Alex spoke again though, Cari froze and gripped his hand hard. She was a bit more relaxed but not relaxed enough to become besties with an actress. "Please, don't force me, Alex..." she whispered extremely silently but the smiling woman on the screen heard her anyway. "It's alright. I have to go anyway. It was very nice to see you both and I hope you'll rock Comic Con." she waved ended the call. It was alright because the diner appeared in front of them anyway but Cari's heart was still running like a race horse. "God, Alex, you just gave me several heart attacks in a row. I'm too old for this shit."

Alex chuckled and parked the car before wrapping her in the warmest hug he'd ever given her. They usually helped calm her down, and he'd be surprised if it didn't help now. "Remember, he doesn't own you, neither of them do. I'll see if you wanna maybe send her an email or something later. I dunno, I'm just trying to help and be twice as awesome as your parents are lame." He shifted Cari so he could look her in the eye. "Do I need to call the paramedics?" Hands rubbed her back softly as he did his best to try to calm her down. "Also, you're 21. You're definitely not too old for this shit. Only reason you feel that way are the two idiots up there in their ivory tower."

Searching for relax in Alex's arms, Cari found herself leaning into him. He had always been this beacon of hope for her. Even if everyone else considered her a weirdo, he was there to make sure she didn't feel like an animal at a ZOO. He replaced her belongings, helped her found or stolen items, he was like her guardian angel all this time. And yes, she fell for him hard, just never had enough courage to tell him. And now that he was back in her life, she easily fell into their old ways.

!No, no paramedics. I'll handle it this time." she grinned and pulled away. "If I don't, then you'll have to perform CPR." she added jokingly and a second later she realized what she said. "I mean...uh, we're...here." she said quickly and scurried out of the car to get away from the small space and the shame she felt for her words. God, what was WRONG with her? Why couldn't she be just a normal person who had the slightest idea how to talk to guys? She headed straight towards the entrance, hoping Alex followed but she couldn't turn and look because her cheeks were ignited so much they matched the color of her hair.

Hopping out of the car after her, Alex turned her around and hugged her again. "It's okay. You'll get there. It's not your fault. Don't worry about me. I know what you've been through, I know how this is out of your control sometimes. Remember, I am your sword in the darkness, the watcher on the wall, the shield that guards the realm of your sanity," he said, paraphrasing the Night's Watch oath from Game of Thrones. "You have nothing you need to hide from me."

"Yeah I know..." she spoke, placing her hands flat on his chest and looking in his eyes for a bit before diverting her gaze down on the tips of their shoes. Her old pair of Converse suddenly felt even more rugged and yet, she was simply not willing to throw it out. "I know. But the night is still dark and full of terrors." she played his little game and let out a small sigh. "Come on, I have a table there, Luke always keeps it free for us. Maybe I can do at least something for you." she smiled and led him inside.

An older guy, somewhere around his 40s, waved at her and pointed to the back, indicating that her booth was still empty and ready for her to take it. "I'll be right with you, sweetcheeks!" he called and placed a pencil behind his ear as he reached for a pot of coffee to get refills to a few people at his counter. Cari waved back and led Alex to the back booth, sliding to the wall easily. "Welcome to Luke's. The land where caffeine fills the rivers and bacon sandwiches are to die for."

"I didn't know this booth was 'yours'," Alex said, smiling at one of the busboys, who greeted him in Spanish, which Alex responded to in kind. They exchanged a few more words, then moved away. "I guess I came here a lot the past few years, after you moved away. That's Juan, he had a problem with Immigration last year, some asshole who hates Mexicans decided to 'misplace' the documents proving he was here legally. My dad and I, we looked into it, and we go to that guy's boss, and we're like, 'You looking for these?' That racist bastard was fired so fast my head spun! Helps when my dad and the Secretary of Homeland Security are golfing buddies."

"Well, it's not mine per se." Cari shrugged. "But Luke and I have known each other for quite a while now, he knows me and my family, he knew my grandmother, they actually were quite buddies. So good that she even entrusted her apple pie crust recipe to him and now his famous pie is so famous that people from around the city come here to get a slice. But if you want to get one, you really need to come early in the morning. Since this is no bakery, Luke only makes one or two pies and once they sell out, they're gone for the day." she smiled, explaining the whole situation with her booth. "And since we're such good friends, he keeps this booth for me every day around lunch time."

Cari watched Alex and his interaction and only smiled, nodding softly. Luke approached them after a little while and set a large mug in front of the redhead, filling it with black coffee almost to the brim and then he added a splash of french vanilla creamer on top, knowing her order more than well. "Coffee?" he turned to Alex, smiling ear to ear. "I'll give you a moment for lunch, okay? Or do you want your usual?" he asked Cari but she shook her head. "I think I'm in a mood to experiment a little." she grinned. "Thanks, Luke. I'll call when we're ready." Luke nodded, clicked his tongue and gave her a wink before moving to another table. "He's like some sort of older older brother to me, you know. As weird as it sounds. But also, his mental age could very well be 25 so don't get fooled by the wrinkles." she laughed and reached for the menu.

Alex laughed and smiled at Cari. "I'm sure that whatever you're having is fine, but I'll have a root beer, not a coffee." He slid the menu aside and started to idly sing one of their favorite songs that they both liked, the more modern rendition of the song Beauty and the Beast, sung in this case by Ariana Grande and John Legend. He recalled the time that the entire cheer squad back in high school plastered photos of her in a rather embarrassing and disheveled state all over social media (she'd gotten there on time but only because she had skipped getting ready and had thrown together whatever outfit was available at the time) and it was only Alex and his oversized hoodie, his father's cybersecurity department, and that song that kept her from dying of embarrassment that day.

Cari looked up at him and smiled before bringing the cup of her favorite beverage to her lips. Bitter coffee graced her lips and tongue and filled her taste buds with its rich earthy taste. Coffee has been her best friend for long years now and while she could give up a lot, coffee was not on that list. It gave her life and energy and it was just indescribable how much she loved drinking it. Luke smiled and nodded over the drink order before leaving. “You sing a lot today.” she commented, taking a few more sips from her mug.

Luke returned with a bottle of root beer and placed it in front of Alex. “There you go. So what’s it gonna be today?” he asked again pointing at the menu and Cari stared at it for a moment longer. “I think we’ll do turkey club and a side of curly fries. I’m gonna leave the sauce up to you, Luke.” she smiled and the older man nodded again before sashaying away to bring their food. “I hope you like what I got.” she turned back to Alex with a little sheepish smile. “I don’t usually eat a lot for lunch anyway.”

"That's all right. I'm sure it'll be excellent." Alex took the bottle of root beer, opened it, and held it up in a toast. "To picking up where we left off. May the sky truly br the limit to how much we can do together." He looked at her, really looked, and thought of just what might happen if he told her how he felt...and decided to do so after lunch, finally summoning the courage after seven long, long years.

“To reconnections and reunions.” Cari toasted as well and her large mug met Alex’s bottle with a loud clink. Contents of both wiggled and stained the walls of containers before calming down as they both drank. Once again, Cari filled her mouth with coffee and enjoyed quite a few long gulps emptying half of the mug already. Luke would definitely have to get her a refill soon. “It was definitely a surprise to see you here.” she said, finally not as horribly stuttering and shy as before. After all, after talking to a famous actress, talking to her old high school friend was way less terrifying.

Luke returned basically in a bit with two large plates. Turkey club sandwiches were nicely placed on them, stacked in almost elegant pieces and freshly made French fries were piled on the side. A tiny bowl filled with honey mustard sauce was placed on both plates to perfectly complement the dish. “Enjoy.” Luke smirked and conjured a pot of coffee, indeed refilling Cari’s cup. “This stuff will kill ya, know that?” he winked and Cari just rolled her eyes playfully. “Can’t even imagine better way to go then.”

"I can think of a few," Alex joked, and asked for more root beer, which Luke gladly helped him with. They sat and ate, chatting about their shared interests, what they'd been doing these past three years, the good and the bad, laughing and cheering about the former, and offering hugs about the latter. When it came time to pay the check, Alex insisted upon it, saying, "I left you at the mercy of your parents for three long years. This is the least I can do." Once that was taken care of, he held out his hand as he stood up, and said, "Ready to head back?"

After a while, it all stopped being so awkward and deep in the conversation, Cari herself could finally let go of all her insecurities and she threw away her embarrassment so she could freely talk to her old friend. They talked about the past, near and far, they talked about everything they did after high school, their plans, even a little dreams. Although Cari didn't share her foolish dream of owning a bakery. Not just yet. She was not so bold to tell him because whenever she shared her passion, people were either doubtful or, in case of her parents, they laughed and said it was no future there.

Once they finished, her cheeks lit up again when Alex insisted on paying but she let him and her small hand slipped in his as they left. Luke watched them and his lips spread into a mischievous smirk as he finally saw his little friend with a guy. A guy who was not just another nerdy nobody who was definitely not going to keep Cari satisfied.

"Thanks for the lunch." Cari smiled as they walked back to the car. "I have another lecture in the afternoon so....I kinda have to go, you know. But I really had fun. This was nice." she added, tugging on the strap of her messenger bag. "And it was really great to see you again. Away from high school."

"I have one more thing I'd like to talk about, if that's okay." Alex took a deep breath, and gently grasped both her hands in his. His face was bright, hopeful, smiling as he began speaking. "I really don't know when it started, or why, but almost since I met you, well, I've had a pretty big crush on you. Although the word 'crush' is a little juvenile. I like you, Cari, a lot. Like, as more than a friend. But, our friendship is important to me, so if you don't feel the same, you have nothing to worry about. We can keep on the way we've been doing, no problem." He was hoping against all hope she felt the same, but he was still unsure as he stood there, waiting for her answer.

As Cari was ready to turn around and walk away in order to make it to her lecture in time, Alex surprised her when reaching for her hands. She let him, allowed him to hold her and tried to suppress the wild flock of butterflies which erupted in her stomach upon that almost intimate gesture. But nothing in this world would be able to prepare her for what came next. Her blue eyes stared at Alex, lips curled in a soft smile and then he dropped the bomb which snet her flying to the moon.

For quite a while, Cari stared at the boy in front of her. Those ice blue eyes went wide open, resembling a pair of saucers, her lips parted in an utter shock she was going through and as much as she wanted to speak, no sound left her throat at first. "Alex...I..." she started but that was about it. She choked.

"A crush?" she finally asked, trying to find her lost voice. "You have a crush on me?" she kept asking in disbelief. "I mean...uh..." Why on earth could she not be normal? Tessa would know immediately how to react. She would be flirty and charming and absolutely nonchalant. Cari? She was still choking on her own words, absolutely lost on what to say. "Me too!" she exclaimed after a while, slapping herself mentally right away. "I mean...crush...I have it...on you...you know." she mumbled and looked down, trying to hide the embarrassment reflecting in her irises. God, the earth should open and devour her whole right away. Her hands remained in his, she kept standing there and was trying to find a way to tell him she was in love with him forever now.

It was exactly as Alex had imagined Cari telling him she liked him back. "That's my Cari, so adorable and awkward," he said in a voice that wholly suggested he was nothing but charmed by her display. Letting go of one of her hands, he gently tilted her chin up, looked into those big beautiful blue eyes, and he knew. He knew they were going to be together forever. And to begin this wonderful journey together, he leaned down, tilted his head sideways, and enveloped her lips in a kiss. Not too forward, in case she was still nervous, but enough to let her know all was well and that she could deepen the kiss if she wanted to.

That's my Cari, so adorable and awkward. That was the sentence which echoed in Cari's head, resonated within the walls of her skull and seared into her brain. If anyone else called her awkward, she could close into herself and not say anything, just feel embarrassed. But it was Alex and she knew exactly what his words meant when he uttered them. Their eyes met and hers glimmered with expectation and surprise. This whole day was just too good to be true so far. And to seal the deal, he brought his face closer to hers and their lips found each other in a kiss which was the perfect first kiss, the best one ever. It was soft, no-pressure kind, testing the waters, making way for more.

Cari leaned into Alex, her hands landed flat on his chest and she pressed on his lips a little more as if she was trying to make up for all that lost time. It seemed like centuries passed. Certainly, time was running around them but the couple was frozen in their moment, oblivious to everyone and everything until their lips parted. Cari felt slight buzz in hers and she kept staring at Alex in disbelief. "Jinkies..." she breathed, her chest rising and falling faster. "You...you were serious..." she commented on the whole situation, still unable to grasp the fact that Alex indeed was in love with her.

"More than anything in my entire life," Alex said, pulling Cari into a warm embrace. "I love you, Cari," he said, at the same time chuckling and starting to cry a little from unbridled joy. "I'm so happy right now." He pressed his lips to her forehead before resting his chin atop her ginger locks. "We're gonna be just fine. Just fine. Can I ask you something?" He let them part just enough so he could look into her eyes, but he still held her and his free hand idly stroked her hair out of her face. "Do you really wanna practice law, or is there something you wanna do more?"

"I love you, Alex." she whispered, deepening that shade of red in her face. It was still strange to say it out loud, to let him cradle her in his arms like they had been doing this for years. It still felt strange and foreign but not unpleasant and the redhead knew she could get used to this very quickly. He was right, they were going to be just fine. No one would be able to come between them, not even her parents. Not that Cari cared at all what they thought but with a man like Alex by her side, not even the Chases could protest against her choice of a boyfriend. Not this time. Not ever again.

Upon his question, she looked up, looking startled. "I, uh..." she started but the words died in her throat. "I don't...really know... I guess...maybe. It's like...it's not my first choice you know. I would never choose to do that. But I suppose it could be something I could try. Something I could eventually do. But honestly..." She was about to share one thing that was the deepest secret of one Carolina Chase. "Honestly, I would love to open my own bakery." she spoke in the softest quiet voice, almost inaudibly, lowering her gaze to stare at the tips of her old Converse shoes. "I love baking and I'd love to share that with people."

"Then it shall be done," Alex said, as if it were an indisputable fact. "If it is within my power--and believe me, it is--we will make it happen. Together." He tilted Cari's chin up so he could look in her eyes. "But the first step towards being your own boss, is being able to look people in the eye. We'll work on that, hmm? I know, I know it's a process," he said, transitioning in the blink of an eye to having one arm around her as he started to walk her to her next class. "We'll work on it together," he repeated. "And maybe sometime before we leave for Comic-Con, you bake something for me. Do you think you'd be okay with that?"

Back
Top Bottom