Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

To Be Chased Through the May Fields

Mariposa

Planetoid
Organic Collage Food Facebook Cover.png

The stone walls of Columbia University were visible from the distance and the institution itself was definitely prominent enough to catch attention from every single passerby. It was a dream of many young scholars to become members of the Ivy League family and many of them wanted this exact building to become their alma mater. But only a small fragment of them actually tasted the air of the university as the procedure of getting in was not only long and challenging but the jury was picky as ever and only the best of the best of the best were good enough to join its ranks. Carolina Chase was among them. She was one of the few chosen ones who entered the class of 2022 as the law major. They all came with the bright smiles gracing their features, wondering what the future held for them. And yet, Carolina’s smile was different from all others.

“You could at least pretend you’re happy to be here.” Tessa Ackerman, her best friend like ever, nudged her in the ribs and Cari widened her already fake smile.

“But of course, dear Theresa, I’m delighted to be studying something I passionately despise for four years now.” Cari whispered and removed that nasty sweet smile from her face. Her attendance only had one reason. One reason, two words. Jonathan Chase. And that was also probably the reason she got in.

"Come on, it's our last year. You've survived until now. You can do it. Come on, Chase. Smile." Tessa kept nagging but Cari just wouldn't budge.

Don’t get her wrong, Cari was the perfect-score student, the high school valedictorian and her SAT score went through the roof. She was almost a girl genius of Spencer Reid level. But she didn’t want to be. At least not studying law at Columbia. Apparently, having an offspring of D.A. Jonathan Chase in their ranks was the greatest honor and right on her first date, Cari was called away from her lecture to meet with the Dean. Perfect. Not embarrassing at all. She escaped bullying and childish pranks from the high school she so desperately wanted to go to only to be targeted at the university as well. Just peachy. Thanks, daddy dearest. This is exactly what I needed.

Today she was walking to the lecture of Constitutional Law by Tessa’s side and she was not looking forward to it. Con law was the most boring lecture out there, the professor was a hundred years old and he literally read the book word by word. Well, he wasn’t reading. He was reciting it. But considering his age, he must have given these lectures so many times, no wonder he knew the whole thick book by heart. The thing was, if he decided to give them the final exam right this instant, Cari would ace it. Her father forced her to study, she had to spend summer in his office, learning in advance, making notes, studying laws and various acts, he created challenging workshops for her, asked people from his office to come and lecture and recreate old trials. While everyone was out there enjoying their last summer before the college, Cari was locked inside her house, studying law. And when her father finally graciously let her go, her hawk-eye mother was already waiting for her out there, sinking her talons deep in Cari’s arm only to drag her to classes she had left years ago.

Amanda Chase never forgave her daughter for the humiliation Cari created at her cotillion. She dyed her hair black and blue and fixed her white dress so the underskirt was pitch black. Instead of the white Louboutin sandals Amanda forced onto her, Cari wore the Dr. Martens shoes reaching to the middle of her shins. And her partner? He joined the madness and made an appearance in a checkered tux and spiky hair with his nails painted black. It was the beginning of Cari’s emo punk period and she was loyal to her image. And it was the way of telling her mother she was done with all this high society bullshit. Which was why now Amanda decided that her only child had to catch up. Both her parents knew exactly where her dreams were. And while Cari had everything ready to make it happen, they denied her access to her trust fund until she graduated. That was the agreement. Finish the law school and then you can go gallivanting around the world, doing whatever you want. But until that happens, you behave like the true Chase.

“Oh…my…GOD!” Tessa exclaimed and her fingers gripped Cari’s forearm, tearing her train of thoughts effectively.

“What? What is it?” Cari asked in confusion, looking around, narrowing her eyes a little to see.

“Look…over there!” Tessa hissed and pointed at a certain person in the distance. At first, Cari had no idea what her bestie wanted to tell her. But then she realized that…

“Oh my god…is right…” she whispered and her cheeks colored in crimson immediately. “How…I mean…what is he doing here?” she asked Tessa, turning around abruptly, trying to hide in plain sight. There was no chance Alex Mayfield was going to Columbia. Wait! He was NOT going to Columbia. He went elsewhere and Cari couldn't remember where. So what was he doing here NOW?

“You should go and say hi.” Tessa said, tugging on her nerdy friend. "After all, it's been almost four years."

“Like hell. No way, I’m not going over there. Are you crazy?” Cari kept hissing, heeling like a race horse. “Get the fuck off me, I’m not saying hi to Alex Mayfield!” Cari protested some more, speaking a little louder than she intended while her friend was still trying to drag her over. “Swear to god, Theresa, let go or else…” Cari threatened and pulled in the other direction just as Tessa indeed let her go. Of course Cari lost balance, squealed, papers and books flew up from her hands and she landed hard on her butt in the middle of the lawn while her papers ran around her. Her glasses fell midway, sitting on the tip of her nose and Tessa was standing nearby, covering her mouth with both her hands, trying hard not to giggle.

4fa64881e9fdc6b38b2040dfe0cade36.jpg

If Alex Mayfield was grateful for being his father's son for one thing, it was the anonymity of the man. Where everyone else around him flaunted their parents' names like it was the latest fashion statement, Alex was happy being the son of someone who no one knew the name of. But most everyone who followed global events had heard of the unique private military firm that was special because it strove to do the right thing, not the most profitable. They carefully selected and trained their contractors to be people of honor and integrity, both on and off the battlefield. Even the company's name was kept from the public eye, because if the world's worst people knew who to call when they wanted to try and besmirch that honor, Alex's dad would never know any peace.

Alex eagerly embraced the role of the son who'd follow in dad's footsteps, working out all through his life, training in all sorts of weapons on their private ranch in Colorado, listening intently to his father's lessons on how to rise above the pitfalls of their chosen profession. Meeting, befriending and subsequently protecting Carolina Chase came naturally to him, both owing to his upbringing and to the fact he liked her a lot, a feeling that only grew more intense as time went on. When they graduated high school, he thought he'd never see her again when he went to CalTech. But it seems that fate has a way of helping certain people get what they deserve.

So that cool, crisp fall morning Alex was lounging around with his friends on the lawn, men and women who would make good candidates for his father's company, if some of them didn't have other plans. All of them were good people, and he felt privileged to be among them. Suddenly a commotion in the distance interrupted his small lecture on the failings of the Predator drone and how it could be improved upon, and when he turned his head his jaw dropped. "Shit, dude, isn't that like one of your best friends from high school?", his buddy Joe said. "Yeah, that's Cari. Excuse me, folks, we'll continue this later." He hopped up, long hair flopping about as his leather jacket streamed out behind him as he jogged over before the vultures could start circling. "I gotcha, Cari," he said as he started to gather up her spilled things, his large, muscular body serving as an improvised barrier between her and the slowly forming knot of onlookers. Whipping his head around, he said, "Don't you guys have anything better to do?", and so most of them decided that they did. After he'd gotten everything together, he tucked the papers and other things under his arm, rose to his feet, and held out a hand to help her up. "Long time no see, Cari."

Organic Collage Food Facebook Cover.png

Was this really happening? Again? God, for three years, she successfully dodged all attempts to make her life living hell. Cari came to university with a firm belief that this place was way more mature and that everyone belonged here. That even her quirky peculiar self was going to find peace here. And yet, no such thing happened. Of course, it was not as bad as high school where her archnemesis organized every day even called "Let's Humiliate Cari Chase" and her minions supported her in everything. That girl was a nightmare. Adeline Brittman, or Adolf Brittler as Cari and her friends called her was someone who needed to feel absolute power or else the world came crumbling down. And no, it wasn't like all those teenage high school movies where the nerd finally gets her revenge. Cari never get hers and even if she tried to avoid Adeline at all costs, the girl had her spies everywhere and found her every single time. Cari could literally just cry. Oh, and she did. She did cry quite a few times. Especially when they destroyed most of her personal belongings, when somebody stole her golden pendant her grandmother had given her, when they scratched her Impala all around... Should she continue?

College was different but different in the type of bullying. Kids were way smarter here, they didn't need to stoop to childish methods. But even the minor little thing such as falling on one's ass, was enough to gather the audience. Tessa was first to realize shit was quickly rolling down the hill and tried to get those people dispersed but when a few cheerleaders appeared, there was no way even the perky blonde could do something and so she was about to dive down and get Cari's stuff so they could disappear. But when she turned around to do it, she froze. Cari already had the best help out there. Oh, and the poor girl looked like a deer in the headlights. She herself couldn't believe that he actually came closer and, once again, was saving her ass. This time, literally. Not that the first time it wasn't all about her ass. But this felt kind of literal too.

Cari stared at Alex in a silent disbelief and it took her quite a few seconds to move. Then her tiny hand disappeared in his and she let him help her up. "Hi..." she breathed, her lips still parted. She had had a puppy crush on Alex Mayfield since forever. The fact that he was her knight in shining armor at high school already only deepened her feelings and she never fully recovered from it. She hoped distance would help and for a moment, she did. She even dated for a while. Of course, never outside of her clique but she did date, she did have her fun, she did get her own college experience. But no man out there could ever compare to Alex.

"Well, um...I'll leave you two for now. See you in class, Cari?" Tessa grinned mischievously and wiggled her fingers in goodbye before strutting away. And Cari could just hit her. Seriously? She was going to leave her alone?

"Uh..." she stuttered, looking at the man whose hand she was still holding. "What are you doing here anyway?" she asked and immediately wanted to kick herself. Was this really the first thing she wanted to tell him? After all those years, couldn't she just...? No. Nope. She could not. She was Cari freakin' Chase. She was not flirty, not cute, not good at social interactions of any kind. "What I mean is...You don't go to Columbia and you're here now so I wasn't expecting to see you again and yet, you are here, helping me again even though I have not seen you for three years because you went to school elsewhere but now you're here which is strange. Good, I mean, it's good but unexpected because I didn't know you were here so now I'm surprised so do you go here? I mean, yes, apparently, but yes, um, I guess what I wanted to ask is ...How are you?" she sighed, finally ending her exhausting awkward rant as the crimson color of her cheeks got even darker shade.

Alex chuckled and in response, he actually pulled something from his jacket pocket. "I'm fine, Cari. I see you're just as adorable as ever. I found something the day after graduation, when I was cleaning out the cage of Mrs. Wilson's pet rabbit she kept in her classroom. I think you've been looking for it." He opened his fist and from it dangled the necklace from her grandmother. "Not quite as impressive as when I had your Impala repainted before the school day was over, but it's the little things that count. I'm here because I wanted to live out my senior year back East, and of course the chance of running into you factored into it as well. Here." He handed her her books and papers and stepped smoothly around behind her back and unclasped the necklace and brought it around her neck, before securing it in place. "So, what've you been up to these past three years?"

Alex remembered the first time that the bullies had wrecked one of her things. It was just a small keychain that dangled from her backpack, but it was in the shape of the Rebellion emblem from Star Wars. They paid the lunch lady to clear out of the kitchen so they could put it through the meat grinder. The next day Alex showed up with a new one that was virtually indestructible. It just went on from there: they destroyed something, Alex replaced it, often with the same thing but a better version thereof. But his heart broke every time she cried over it, and he wished he could cause them as much suffering as they caused his little Cari.

Bouncing back to the present, he smiled as he said, "So, I remember you've always wanted to go to Comic-Con. You manage to score tickets this year?"

All those years, it seemed like Alex was guarding her. He was one of them. Mr. Popular Guy. People liked him immediately because he was simply one of those people you had like like right away. His smile would melt icebergs and his personality was larger than life. He was the whole package and Cari simply couldn't believe how he never scored any of those perfect rich girlfriends. It was such an irony. Cari checked all the boxes on family and heritage, she was the exact Barbie like all those plastics. Yet, her personality simply predestined her for other things and so while she was basically that white rich girl with influential parents stereotype, she never really acted on it. It was one of her greatest virtues and one thing her friends had always admired. Despite the pressure, despite knowing that her life would get way easier if she simply started hanging out with the elite, she never did. She remained loyal, let the bullies ruin her life. And maybe, just maybe, seeing Alex's smile when he always came to her after every disaster was slightly worth it.

But when he opened his palm and the long lost pendant was sitting there, she was glad she was not holding her things just yet because she would have dropped them again. "Where did you find it?" she squealed, staring at the pendant as if it was a miracle. Her breathing grew more erratic and then it hitched a few times as Alex returned her things and walked around to place the pendant where it belonged. "I can't believe you...wow..." she breathed, holding her books in one hand while the fingers of the other one caressed the golden jewelry. He might have just been her guardian angel. After all, he was doing just that all those years.

"It's nice. Nice...I mean...being closer to home and all." she nodded as he explained his reasons to be back at home. She was so bad at this. Why couldn't she just disappear before making even greater fool out of herself? Cari literally wished the ground would open and swallow her whole. But then Alex turned the focus on something she actually knew!

"Nah. The tickets have been sold in like....ten minutes. I was too slow. I'm still trying to get them but people are reselling them now and the prices are insane." she shrugged, looking slightly sad. "Why? You're going?" she asked, not even realizing she slid into a more relaxed tone as they started to talk about something she was comfortable with. Comic Con was something she wanted to see more than anything. One of top three items on her bucket list. And not getting the tickets was a damn shame.

"No, I'm not going." Alex paused just long enough to make it dramatic, then reached into his pocket and pulled out two VIP badges to Comic-Con. "We're going, my dad's private jet is gonna take us to San Diego, and we are gonna stay in the penthouse suite at the San Diego Hilton!" He handed her one of the badges with a flourish. "Oh, and my dad's men are on standby if they need to extract you from the roof of your penthouse cause your parents had the building lock you in or some shit." He thought of all the cosplay ideas she'd run by him, all the ones she'd brought and made over the years. Now she'd finally get the chance to wear some of them...or some of the ones he'd brought just for this occasion.

There were times Cari imagined various scenarios about her and Alex Mayfield. Her imagination was known to run wild but she was also rational enough to know that there was no way she and him would ever be a thing. Alex was a different league and despite his heart of gold, Cari never even hoped he could become more than a friend to her. Tessa was the optimistic one, always prodding Cari to try it, make the move, try to show him she was interested. But that was simply not in Cari's nature. She was just that quiet observer, wondering where life would take her. And if by any miracle, Alex was in her future, then she would be ecstatic. But since he went to CalTech after high school, she was sure that fate was not going to help out in any way here.

And now, he was standing here, handing her a VIP Comic Con badge. "What?" was all she could get out of her mouth. "Wait, are you...are you serious?" Her eyes lit up as she stared at the golden ticket as if she was little poor Charlie and Alex was Willy Wonka. "Are you for real, Alex? The ticket is mine?" she asked, eyes glimmering with joy and compassion and surprise. "But...why?" she asked and her trained mind was looking for a catch immediately. After years and years of pranks, she learned to expect them. Even though Alex never ever played one on her, it was not his style. But also, good things never happened to her so why now?

"You can be sure that my father is going to find a way to ruin it for me...I mean...us." she blushed. "I'm sorry in advance. For whatever he decides to do. There is this big reception at home on the Comic Con weekend. So I will have to sneak out because I'm supposed to be giving a speech to praise my father as the greatest citizen of New York ever." she rolled her eyes. "But yes, yes, I'll go. If it's speech versus Comic Con, my priorities are clear." she grinned in her own cheeky way. "I have no idea how I'm going to repay you for this, Alex. I mean, you've done a lot of nice stuff for me but this...this is literally the nicest thing anyone every did for me. I mean it."

Alex waved his hand. "Don't worry about it. And it sounds like I'm gonna have to have a Black Hawk fueled up Thursday night. There is a helipad on your roof, thank God. I don't think you'd want to be plucked off of there like some shipwreck survivor. Still, why use the elevator to sneak out, when you have me?" He slipped the ticket into her back pocket, his hand lingering for a moment on her ass. "Don't lose it, now," he said, leaning in to whisper in her ear, his warm breath tickling the spot below her ear that he'd heard made most women melt. Straightening up and returning his hand to himself, he smiled. "Your father...he's never had to deal with me before. Trust me, we got this." And he held out his hand, expecting Cari to engage in their secret handshake they perfected during high school. "You wanna know why? Because you deserve it, because I have the opportunity to do this for you, and because you're one of my best friends."

The boy was definitely on a mission here, so much was more than obvious. He had it all thought through as if he had spent hours on developing the most perfect and Jonathan Chase-proof plan. He thought about traveling there, staying there, getting there... All Cari had to figure out were costumes but she already had that in bag too thanks to her years and years of cosplaying. Even if it was just for some lame geek parties or local masquerades, she was always ready and her creations never disappointed. She had all sorts of Marvel and DC faces, a few Mortal Kombat characters, several famous movie characters, Harry Potter was definitely a must. She was simply ready to rock that Comic Con one way or another. And now, thanks to Alex, it was more than possible. And what more, he had her heart fluttering for more than one reasons.

As he leaned closer and she felt his hand on her round rear, her breath hitched and them she almost choked over feeling his hot breath sensation on the sensitive skin under her ear. Her grip on the books tightened and she looked at him, eyes wide open again, nodding eagerly. They were...best friends? Really? He considered her his bestie? That was way more than Cari ever expected and the information itself had her shaking. Their secret handshake was, as expected, a little shaky. Not only was Cari's hand trembling, she also hadn't done it in years and it showed. "I will be ready. Packed and all. Just...tell me where to come and when and I'll be there." she smiled, tucking a loose red strand behind her left ear. "Maybe by that time I'll actually be able to comprehend the fact that I'm actually going to Comic Con. With you."

"Well, since old man Chase might catch you going out the front door, your mission, should you choose to accept it, my little Cinderella, is to be packed and have your things by the door to your penthouse roof by midnight Thursday night-slash-Friday morning." Alex smiled as he thought of all the fun they'd have, and all the other stuff they could get up to as well. "Would you like me to walk you to class? I got time untill like one P.M. Perhaps if you weren't planning on showing up, we could grab a bite to eat, catch up? I've missed you. A lot."

Alex always talked to her in a way that had her giggling. And you know what? Carolina Chase never giggled, okay? She considered it an expression of dumbos and simple-minded girlies who didn't have any other way to get a boy interested in them. Not her. And yet, every time Alex was with her and talked to her in his very own Alex-way. she indeed giggled. Just like now when he called her his little Cinderella. "I'll be there. Ready and packed." she nodded. "Mission accepted, Sir." she giggled again, offering him a two-finger salute.

"I would love that but you know, if I don't go to class, my father will find out and....yeah, just...I gotta go. But I'm free after so...maybe?" she asked, wiggling her shoulders a little. "She should have continued. She should have been nonchalant and ask him to go for lunch with her. Instead, she just wiggled her shoulders. "Maybe...before your classes in the afternoon? Or I mean....yes, like...if you have some other plans then, I understand, I just thought that maybe, you know...maybe we could...if you're free. Because I'm free then. After this lecture. So...there's that." And indeed, there it was again. A crimson-colored rant.

Alex was too late to stop her, but he pressed a single finger to her lips when she was done her cute little rant. "I'd love to go to lunch with you," he said. "My number is still the same, text me when you're done, all right? Take care of yourself." He dropped his hand and wrapped her in a warm hug. "I'm glad I found you again, Cari. I missed you so much." He did something he never did before: he titled his head down and planted a kiss on the top of her head. "See you after class," he said and pulled away before he could be too much more affectionate. After all, he had no idea how deep her feelings for him ran, and didn't want to presume only to end up hurting himself.

It was safe to say that once their ways parted, Cari was shaking. She still felt Alex's lips on the top of her head and his finger lingering on her lips. She was walking to the class as if someone hit her on the head. That smile was hard to erase and she touched her pendant and then the VIP ticket to make sure they both were real and there. What started as an almost traumatic experience turned out to be a reunion of the millennium.

"And what happened to you?" Tessa asked when Cari slid in the chair next to her.

"What? Why?" Cari pretended nothing was happening but there was no fooling her bestie.

"Oh, come on, Cari. I know you more than you know yourself, spill it." Tessa pried and so Cari couldn't but tell her every single detail. they even whispered during the lecture because Cari already knew that stuff and Tessa with her eidetic memory could study that anytime.

And before they knew it, the lecture was over. Tessa had another class but made sure Cari called Alex. She was there the whole time until Cari placed her phone to her year. "Umm...hi..." Cari greeted the voice on the phone. "My lecture is over so...um...there is this place we could go...just around the corner...um, Luke's. We could go there if you wanted?"

"That sounds perfect. I can pick you up if you want?" Alex couldn't wait to show off his new car, a 2022 Aston Martin DB11. "Or do you still ride around in that dark SUV that your dad made you roll up to school in on the first day?" He was already on his way to the lecture hall as he was talking on the phone. "I don't think I've been to Luke's, what kind of food do they have?", he asked by way of trying to prolong the conversation. He stopped at a tree that had a good sightline of where she'd have to exit to get to the parking lot.

Last edited:
"No, no...no need. I still drive my Impala, remember?" she smiled even though she couldn't even see him. I'll be at the parking lot in a moment, promise." she added and was ready to hang up when it seemed he wanted to talk more. Well, they would be spending the whole lunch together but it was still flattering he wanted so much time with her. "It's honestly just a diner but they make all day breakfast there and some burgers too if you want something like that. It's a nice homey food, nothing special but still delicious." she explained and waved at Tessa who was now leaving. Cari herself was slowly walking to the parking lot, fixing her glasses, trying to balance the phone and the amount of her books. "I'm almost there, can you find my car? Or you wanna take yours? We can also walk there, it's not far. Up to you."

Alex smiled. "Let's take my car," he said, watching Cari pass oblivious to where he stood waiting for her as he started to head towards the parking lot. "See you in a few," he said and hung up, jogging to catch up. "Hey there," he said as he indeed caught up. "A diner with all day breakfast and homey food. Sounds delicious." He walked with her in silence until they got to the parking lot, at which point he pulled out his key fob and clicked the remote start, at which point his engine roared to life. "That's us," he said, pointing to the beautiful machine near the exit.

"See you!" Cari chirped to the phone and was visibly more relaxed when it came to talking to Alex now. He had that power over her. He managed to have her relaxed and keep her calm. It had always been his way and the redheaded nerd was only too happy he was that sort of calming person. She walked across the parking lot but when he suddenly emerged by her side, she forgot all about his calming personality and flinched, almost suffering a minor heart attack. "Jesus f--- oh hi!" she exclaimed, biting her tongue in the middle of the curse. He then led her to a sports car she wanted to whistle over. Sure, she was not too much into cars and mostly preferred driving her own muscle car from 1969, but this was some vehicle. "I assume that's new." she smiled shyly and approached the passenger side, getting in and placing the pile of her school supplies on her lap. The engine was purring elegantly and for a moment, Cari felt like she had never felt before. Like a popular girl.

"The name's Mayfield. Alex Mayfield," he said in reply as he got into the driver's seat. "So, before we get started, I think we should go over some things for Comic-Con. Now, as a redhead, I am going to safely assume you're going for Poison Ivy, but why just wear one costume all three days?" He pressed a button on the dashboard and a small screen popped up from it. Turning it on, it showed three costumes hanging in the closet of his room at the Colorado ranch, which he'd shown her photos of but never taken her. One was a replica Batsuit, modeled after the one from the Batman Arkham Knight video game, the second was Captain America's WWII-era battle suit, and the third was a black tuxedo with a shoulder holster hanging from the hanger. "Now, the first one you probably already got taken care of. The third, I recommend this, if you wanna match me of course." He pulled up a webpage specializing in designer dresses, specifically the page where one could buy the same dress that the Vesper Lynd character wore in the 2006 James Bond film Casino Royale. "But what of Captain America? Who is his female counterpart? Call Dad," he said, and a virtual assistant app called Alex's father, who answered after two rings. "Hey, Alex, how goes Operation Comic-Con?", his dad answered good-naturedly. "It's going well, dad. Remember that favor that Marvel Studios owes us? Is Hayley Atwell available for a video call?" "Lemme check real quick," Alex's dad said and after a few minutes on hold, he came back and said, "Yep, she's available. Does Cari wanna talk to her?" Alex turned to Cari to await her answer.

For a moment, Carolina felt a little overwhelmed. Her anxiety-ridden mind was having problems with processing everything happening around her. The fact that Alex was here, talking to her as if they had been friends since kindergarten, inviting her to Comic-Con, that in itself was something she needed more time for and yet, here he was showing her his Bond-like car, talking about costumes, showing her pictures... She needed a little moment to recollect her thoughts and so, for a few seconds, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath in, holding it in her longs, hoping beyond hope she was being subtle.

"Okay so...um...yeah, I'm going for Poison Ivy. I'm doing my own version of it, or rather, I tweaked the costume a tiny bit because I don't think I'm comfortable walking around in that skin tight bodysuit. But yeah, Tessa was helping so I guess it still classifies as hot." she did the air quotes when saying the word hot. "As for Vesper, I mean...okay, honestly, I'm not too much into the Bond movies but I can match you still. I know a little something something, enough to know who Vesper Lynd is." she laughed nervously. "And yes, that dress is not a problem, I have someone who gets me my costumes, I'll call him and he can get it for me 100%, I don't want to rely on websites and their deliveries, so consider this taken care of."

But the real shocker came when he started talking about Hayley Atwell and even called his father. "Wait what?" she breathed and her grip on her books tightened so much her knuckles went white. "Wh-what...no, I mean...what would I say?" she stuttered, staring at Alex like a deer in the headlights, unable to find her voice.

"Okay, just relax. Take a deep breath." Alex reached over and laid a hand on her shoulder. "I'm right here, and she's used to people being star-struck. I know you're a fan of all of the characters, and so I thought this would be a good opportunity for you to talk to one of your idols. Besides, if they need to tailor the costume for your measurements, it's best they have all week to do so. I did mention that you'd be wearing a screen-used costume, didn't I?" He smiled. "Don't worry. You deserve it, and you'll totally be awesome. You've already got everything you need to ace this. You just gotta believe in yourself."

"What...?" Cari breathed hard again, unable to comprehend her situation. "Look, I know you mean well but I cannot...I can't do this, okay? Not like this, I need to get ready and..." Too late, her poor mind was already reeling. Usually, she needed a few days to get ready for any public approach, she needed to prepare what she was about to say and get ready for all sorts of scenarios, make sure nothing could surprise her and rehearse everything in advance, maybe even make notes. Just for a simple phone call. Even ordering pizza was fucking difficult and now she was supposed to talk to Hayley Atwell? "But...but...I don't know what to say...I...you talk to her. I'll be here, I'll smile but you talk, okay? Good plan? Yeah, sounds like a good plan for sure. I like this plan." she nodded. "If you need my measurements, fine, I can give them but...god, Alex, are you for real?" she shook her head, laughing and freaking out at the same time.

"Cari." Alex leaned over and gave her one of those hugs, the ones he gave her back when they were in high school when she freaked out like this, when she didn't 'prepare' for some heavily involved social interaction. And like back then, he started to sing one of her favorite songs: Whatever it Takes by Imagine Dragons. It always helped calm her down and helped her nail whatever she was freaking out about.

Cari leaned into Alex and closed her eyes, breathing steadily. he had all the ways to calm her down and a part of her thought it was just so unfair he had it all figured out. Unlike her and her life that was a mayhem and chaos of everything. "Fine...call her...I guess..." she whispered, still not absolutely convinced but having his arms around her petite figure helped a lot. "I still don't know what I'm going to say, just so you know..." she mumbled, shaking her head over the ridiculous situation.

Her body was shaking as they waited and the poor girl could barely focus on anything. She could have comfortably gotten the costume form her supplier but this extra mile...She loved it but at the same time, she dreaded it. How was she ever going to repay Alex for what he was doing for her here? The ticket itself was already enough but now, she could just melt. Tessa was never going to believe what happened here. Never in a million years.

"Just say what comes natural," Alex said, and held her some more until she stopped shaking, at least for the most part. "You'll do fine." He pulled back from her but kept his hand on hers in a reassuring sort of way, something he'd never done before but it seemed right in this situation. "All right dad, we're ready." Alex could practically see the smile on his father's face. "See you later, son. I love you." "You too, dad," Alex said as the line switched to the video call with Hayley Atwell, Alex's father having hung up. "Remember, she's just another person. She still eats, sleeps, bleeds like the rest of us. It's fine." Suddenly the screen was full of the smiling face of the woman who played Margaret "Peggy" Carter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Hayley Atwell. "Good afternoon, I believe it is there? How are you two today? Alex, tell your father thank you once again. If his people hadn't shown up when they did... Suffice it to say, this doesn't fully pay off the favor we owe you. Now, I understand you want to borrow my uniform, Miss Chase? Well, I won't lend it to just anyone! Tell me a little about yourself." Her expression was relaxed and friendly; she just wanted Cari to relax and open up a little before she talked about the costume.

"Yeah...natural...sure..." Cari mumbled, knowing very well that her natural was very much different from any other natural sort of behavior out there. Her usual go to was stuttering, ranting, rambling and saying the biggest and stupidest idiotic thing that popped in her head. So no, it was not for the best to rely on her natural. But she didn't say anything to Alex, just sat there and waited for the woman to appear on the screen, drowning in her own dread, anxiety and awkwardness.

"Oh, h-hi...!" she exclaimed all of a sudden as she was getting lost in her own thoughts when Hayley spoke. "Hi, Miss Atwell...Hayley...um, Miss...yeah." she bit her tongue in the end and felt fire spreading across her face. "Uh, yeah, I was hoping that maybe you would, you know. For Comic-Con. But I get it if you don't want to , of course. Totally okay, it was just....so yeah, well, I mean...I just wanted to match Alex for his costume so we thought we could ask you because we wanna match. Yeah, I said that already didn't I?"

Taking a deep breath in, she shook her head and chuckled. "Well, I'm a nervous talker if you haven't noticed yet." she grinned, trying to get over herself. "There is really nothing too interesting about me though...I'm a law student but mostly I enjoy movie marathons, comic books, reading, and doing anything that does not require being in the center of attention." she added, trying to make the whole situation a lot less awkward.

Back
Top Bottom