Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Attacking Shadow (Kitsune and Degu)

"She'll be fine." Cole's voice came from what had once been the doorway to the shop, and Annaliese looked up before wiping at her face with a sigh. "Come on, I can smell the bullet in you, we need to get you back and dig it out."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine. Not like I've never been shot before." This did hurt a bit more than a normal gunshot wound though, now that the adrenaline had worn off, and she swayed slightly in place as the man at Cole's side approached and wrapped an arm around her waist. "Oh, stop it, I can walk on my... On my... Oh, hell." It was hard to tell what blood belonged to the humans she'd slaughtered, Lucian, or herself when she pressed a hand to her sore side, but her fingers were coming away a lot stickier than they had been just moments ago.

"Merik. Take your man and get him fixed up, we'll take her. Feel free to reach out to me directly with any updates on his condition or news on who might have done this. Annaliese," She muttered and rolled her eyes at Cole, but his man that had come along was already tugging her off toward the door, ignoring her protests about being fine to walk on her own.

"Don't let him die, I want to know anything he noticed after you fix him up." Cole addressed Merik before he and his companion pulled Annaliese firmly out of the shop as the sound of sirens came blaring from down the road, the feline woman being pushed into the backseat of a car. "Bloody ridiculous, these humans getting bold."

Merik glanced up at Cole and simply gave a nod to the man. It was advantageous for all of them to get out of this area before any human police arrived. “We’ll fix ‘em best we can,” he man returned, pursing his lips directly after.
Merik cared little about who had done this, instead, he worried for his friend. “Details will be worked out later,” the other executive added and began to carefully move Lucian’s body.

“Stay awake…” Merik spoke quietly, shaking his partner’s body gently before glancing up to Cole. “Not worried about what you want to know honestly…sir,” Lucian’s partner said simply.
Merik was much like Lucian in that he cared little for authority, so being somewhat rude to Cole was…more of less expected.

Lucian’s breath shallow and there was the sound of wheezing, indicating that he was straining to get those shallow breaths out. “You better…not fucking die,” Merik muttered and finally lifted Lucian’s limp body to throw it over his shoulder.

Merik gritted his teeth and glanced around for a moment before bolting out of the shop and off down the street toward their own turf. Merik’s speed made traveling much quicker than any car

"What the fuck happened in there, Annaliese?" She grunted from the backseat, holding a hand against her side and closing her eyes with a brief wince. As if it didn't hurt bad enough with the adrenaline worn off, now she had to deal with Cole yelling at her from the front seat?

"Stop yelling at me."

"An, I'm not yelling. Do I sound like I'm yelling?" He looked at the male in the passenger seat with a puzzled expression and received a shake of the head in response. "Fuck me, if I sound that loud to you then you're worse off than I thought. Are you cold?"

"What?"

"Are you fucking--Fuck's sake, man, get back there and make sure she's not going to bleed out in my backseat. Missus is gonna have a fit that the seats are wrecked again. I knew I should have put covers in the back, but I wasn't planning for this." There were several grunts as the other man wriggled through and into the back of the vehicle, pulling Annaliese's hand away from her side and lifting up the side of her shirt before whistling.

"Uh... Yeah, let's get back and get this dug out, it looks nasty. At least I think there's just one, but this... This ain't normal, she shouldn't still be bleeding." So she had been shot, damn it. The two men's voices faded in and out for the duration of the ride back to Cole's large home, the doors thudding loudly as they strode inside and all but shoved her into a room where she was laid out on a sterile table.

"Just dig the damn thing out with your claws and get it over with, come on!" She hissed at Cole as her shirt was torn and then pulled away from her body, the abrupt chill of the air against her skin a rather unpleasant sensation. "I would have taken that off if you'd asked, you didn't need to forcibly strip me."

"Love, Cole would tear out my throat if I stripped you in the way I'd like to, so I'll settle for this." Bastard was making a joke even as he poured antiseptic onto a cloth and wiped it over her side, eliciting a snarl from her as she lashed out and caught him with her boot.

"Oh, hell. No, no, you put those fucking cuffs away right now or I'll gut you. Just get the bullet out and I won't kick you again."

Merik entered their boss’ estate and stopped in front of the entrance. “Open the fucking door,” the executive called out loudly. “OPEN,” he yelled again after a moment.
Silence persisted and Merik growled loudly, finally kicking in the door with ease. “Boss! BOSS,” he called out again before leaning down to carefully place Lucian’s body in the marble floor. “Hold on, Luci…”

“WHO is in my home at 2AM!” The SAO’s boss screamed as he stomped from the upstairs hallway. The man appeared at the top of the large staircase, pausing for a moment to glare toward the familiar voice.
It was as the boss thought. MERIK. This was not the first time he’d barged in, so the boss was even more infuriated. So infuriated; however, the fury only lasted a moment more before all of the blood was noticed. There was a pause. Then the body behind Merik caught the boss’ eye. “What the fuck has happened?!”

“He needs…help,” Merik said loudly and stepped back closer to Lucian. “NOW.”
“Get him to the basement, I’ll have our standby doctors paged,” the old man told Merik in an urgent manner.

Merik said nothing else. He simply did as he was told, picking Lucian up once more, this time cradling the hybrid like a child. “Lucian…Lucian,” Merik spoke loudly to his partner as he sped toward the basement. “You’ve gotta open your fucking eyes, dude,” Merik yelled as the two finally entered the large, stark white room.
Luckily, it seemed that the standby doctors had already arrived—Merik assumed that they, too, lived in the same home.

“Get him on the table and get out,” one of the doctors yelled toward Merik. He also seemed panicked.
“R-right…” Merik squeaked and hastily brought his friend to the cold, silver table. “Don’t let his ass die,” the executive warned as he took steps back.
“Leave, punk,” the head doctor yelled toward Merik.

“Yeah, fuck you,” Merik growled as he was pushed out. Lucian’s pale, bloodied face was the last imagine he saw before the doors being shut in his face.

"You motherfucker, get these off! This isn't a joke!" Annaliese kicked out at her companion again, jerking at the cuffs he'd slapped around her wrists with a growl. "I swear when this is over I'm going to gut you, you know how much I hate when you do this!"

"If you'd just hold still and let me do my job, I wouldn't need to restrain you. Now calm down, little kitty, you're losing more blood by fighting me." She snarled at him and took a deep breath, glowering but otherwise making no further effort to leave the table. "See, you could have just done this easy the first time."

"Fuck you, just get it out. I could have dug it out with my own claws by now, but you'd rather waste time making jokes and cuffing me like some deviant."

"I can just put you under, if you want to keep it up."

"Just get the goddamn bullet out." She huffed, turning her head away as she caught the scent of more cleaning agents. Iodine, this was going to burn like a bitch, and he hadn't even gotten the actual bullet out yet. Annaliese took a deep breath when the rag was pressed against her side, holding her breath and then exhaling as she felt him probing around at the wound before the forceps dug into the abused flesh.

"Fuckin' hell, man, be careful!" She growled through clenched teeth as he dug around for the bullet, finally locating it and dislodging it from her body before pressing the iodine soaked rag into the open hole. "FUCK, MAN!"

"Let's get you wrapped up, then you're getting some sleep. We'll figure this out in the morning."

Like hell she was waiting until morning.

The doctors quickly pulled Lucian’s blood soaked shirt off and cringed at the sight. It was nothing that they had ever seen. Sure, bullet holes were normal enough, but the green color was spread across his chest and stomach was an entirely different sight. “We’ve got to get this cleaned out. Prep the room for surgery. I’ll have him ready in five minutes,” the head doctor spoke.

Where am I…what’s going on…am I dead yet…

Lucian’s fiery eyes were barely opened at this point. Thankfully, Merik was able to shake him awake, but his consciousness would only last a few minutes more before the doctor would put him under.

Merik was standing just outside of the room, pacing quickly in front of the doorway. He was trying to understand what had happened. What happened and how was Lucian brought down so easily? This seemed odd and not something that any of them had encountered before—aside from their colleague who had been decapitated.

“Come ooon…” Merik muttered to himself, forcing himself to finally sit. This could take hours…

————————————————————

Five hours had passed and Merik was leaned against the white wall just outside of the makeshift operating room. There had been no work. Nothing. Was that a good thing? A bad thing? Merik wouldn’t know. It wasn’t as if Lucian had found himself in his predicament before.
That said, Merik’s patience had completely disappeared. He softly hit the back of his head against the concrete as if to calm his nerves; of course, that didn’t help much.

Merik’s waiting had finally paid off, however. Just as the executive groaned out of frustration, the door had finally begun to open.
Lucian’s immediately scrambled to his feet and practically met the doctor at the door before it had even opened fully. “Is he alive,” was the first words out of Merik’s mouth.
The doctor, who was startled by Merik’s quick reaction, took a king breath and simply nodded. “Barely,” he spoke in a monotoned manner. “Though, we lost him a few times, we were able to get all of the…” the doctor paused then started again After a second to think. “All of the…substance out of him.”
“Substance,” Merik asked.
“We don’t know what it is yet,” the man said honestly. “But we know that it’s lethal to our kind. We suspect it’s why he’s in such bad shape.”

Merik’s expression was one of shock and unease. “So…there are weapons to…”
“Exterminate us. Yes. And they were trying to use Lucian as an example,” the doctor told Merik.
“But he’s going to be okay, right,” the executive asked.
“We are hopeful,” the doctor gave a vague answer. “You can see him though…” the older man added. “We’ve been instructed to report to Boss, so you’ll have to excuse me. Call if you need one of us.”

"I told you not to do that ever again. You'd better watch your back from now on." Annaliese glared at the other man once she was uncuffed, probing at her bandaged side with a wince before taking the offered button up shirt he was holding out like an olive branch. "Gonna take a lot more than a clean shirt after that stunt. Anyone but you or Cole had done that, and I'd have already torn out your throat." He merely shrugged at her and gave her a slightly sympathetic look before leaving the room, giving her the chance to get dressed in the too large shirt before limping toward the door. Damn that hurt.

"You'd better be going home to sleep."

"Fuck off." Annaliese held up a middle finger as she left the house, grimacing as she realized just how much blood was on her clothing. At the very least she needed to go home and give herself a sponge bath and then change, and as it stood she was going to have to put a towel down in her car so she didn't ruin the seat. Thankfully, she kept some spares in the trunk for this very reason, and after fumbling around with keys and doors she managed to get one out and drape it over the driver's side seat.

"Fuck's sake..."

Everything was dark when she arrived home, unlocking her home and slinking inside before thoroughly locking everything behind her. Not that she was especially worried about the humans having tracked her home, but one could never be too careful after they were attacked, especially when the bullets they'd used had done more damage than a normal gun. Just where had a bunch of humans gotten that kind of ammunition from? If Cole didn't have someone on the inside investigating all the bullets left behind when they worked on cleanup duty... Well, she'd put her boot up his ass until he tasted it. Bullets specifically to harm non humans, that was a new one, and that had just changed the level of danger in the situation drastically.

She managed to work through cleaning herself of blood without taking an actual shower, got into clean clothes, and went to rest her eyes for just a short bit... A short bit that ended up being several hours and left her cursing as she rolled over to spot that it was nearly eight o'clock in the morning. She scrambled around getting things together the best she could manage, waking Cole and demanding contact information for someone in the SAO she could talk to.

"Yes, I'm quite aware what time it is. No, I don't care. They gave me your number, Merik, so tell me where the bastard is so I can talk to him. He's still alive, isn't he?"

Merik groaned and rubbed his face once he realized who was on the other end of the line. Hearing from Annaliese was one of the last things he wanted to do, especially with only an hour’s worth of sleep. “He’s dead, now leave me alone,” Merik lied as he leaned his head back, glancing to the side and toward Lucian. He’d really done it this time. How was Merik supposed to give Lucian’s location when he was in such a vulnerable state?

“Don’t think I would have given someone like you an opportunity to talk to ‘em anyway,” the other executive snorted. “Didn’t do much to help ‘em, did ya,” Merik spoke in a rather annoyed manner—the frustration of this situation being half of the annoyance, and the other half being cranky from lack of sleep.

Lucian had more or less stayed unconscious since his surgery to extract with bullets from inside of his body, as well as the poison that seemed to have seeped into his veins and organs. Of course, the bullets had been inside of Lucian for quite a long time, giving the toxin time to spread—it made things much more troublesome for the surgeons.

Despite the difficulties, Lucian was expected to recover; however, no one knew of how the poison worked, so…it was a waiting game from this moment, on.

"I'm the one who killed the three humans who shot him, and I got myself shot in the process. You can fuck off with that right now. Were you there? No, I didn't think so." She paced around her living room, wincing as she turned the wrong way and aggravated her side with a pained snarl.

"So you can either tell me where you are, or I can just show up and start pounding on doors first thing in the morning, but I have a feeling if I did that, I might piss off your boss more and then it comes down on you." The front door opened and closed as she left the house and got back into her car, starting it up with an annoyed huff before speaking again.

"You hear that? That's my car. So, whose house are you at? I'm not stupid, I know he's not dead."

“Tch…” Merik groaned loudly as he stood from his seated position and scratched the back of his head, jerking a few of the tangles from his sandy, blonde hair. “Fucking hell,” he grumbled under his breath.
Annaliese was not wrong. His boss would likely take his anger out on him, especially since Lucian was not there to take most of the blame (because he usually would—Boss hated Lucian much more than he hated Merik).

“Fine! Fine…he’s not awake though…” Merik spoke up quickly after hearing the car start. “I’m sure Boss isn’t going to want you here either, so you better keep your head down to not make a fucking scene,” Merik warned. “I don’t plan on getting you out of trouble if someone recognizes you. You’re not especially liked over here,” he mentioned and looked down at Lucian with a sigh.

It was true that if Annaliese attempted to get rid of Lucian, he wouldn’t be able to defend his partner—well, not without Lucian and his power combined together. Annaliese was much more skilled. Merik, however, did not plan on letting that fact be known.

“I will kill you if you attempt anything,” Merik bluffed just before revealing their location.

"I don't care if he's sleeping. And I don't need you to get me out of trouble, I can take care of myself." She rolled her eyes and pulled out of the drive, making a mental note of the address he gave her immediately after threatening her. Oh, this one was fun, threatening her while sleep deprived and clearly cranky. Well, at least no one could say he wasn't protective of his friend.

"Yes, yes, you'll kill me. Let's hope we never have to see which of us is faster." She ended the call and tossed the phone on the passenger seat, speeding down the street and turning the corner toward the instructed address. Of course, they had to be at that house, which meant she got to be extra stealthy, seeing as she couldn't imagine Cole being alright with her killing the head of the SAO just because he pissed her off. What a pity, the man deserved to be torn apart for any number of reasons, but it simply wasn't meant to be... Yet.

She got there twenty minutes later, parking a few houses down the road and making her way to the door. The stench of antiseptic barely covered all the old blood that had been in the house, she could still smell it outside where they'd disposed of whatever they'd used while working on him. Annaliese made a face of disgust as she slipped into the house quickly, following the smell all the way to the basement where she slowly pushed open the door to reveal both men.

"You both look like shit." She grunted and crossed the room to where Lucian was bandaged up, leaning down to sniff at him before wrinkling her nose and backing up to take a seat against the wall across from him. "It smells like shit in here too. What'd you do, try to kill half the diseases in the world with all this disinfectant?"

Merik’s brow twitched at Annaliese’s attitude and snorted once the woman hung up on him. He hated women like her…absolutely loathed them; however, she was just Lucian’s type. No wonder he’d been so intrigued with her from the first rumor he’d heard.
Now, she would linger. Merik already knew. Why else would she come so soon after the incident? It Wouldn’t make sense to come looking for answers this early and while being injured, herself.

Regardless of her reasoning, she was still coming, so he’d have to deal with her. And, unless Lucian abruptly awoke, Merik would be the one to have to deal with her.

Please, Lucian…like please abruptly wake up…

The twenty minutes had passed and Merik immediately wrinkled his nose as he heard the the door begin to open. “Here we fucking go…”the man muttered under his breath just before Annaliese entered.

Her first words…an insult—how original. Merik couldn’t help scowling at the woman. Sure, Annaliese was probably one of the most beautiful women that he’d ever seen, but she also had one of the shittiest personalities that he’d ever seen, as well.
“Well…good morning to you, too,” the executive grumbled and rubbed his palms over his sleepy eyes. “You can try ta wake ‘em up, but I doubt it’ll do any good. And if it does…well, it’s my lucky day,” he said with an obvious bad taste in his mouth.

Merik shifted his weight forward and forced his body to move. “I’ll step out, but I’ll be right beside the door, so don’t do something stupid…really not in the mood to throw a kitten into the boss’ backyard pool,” Merik said with a dull expression as he moved closer to the door, exiting shortly after.

"Shut it, demon. I barely slept, same as you." She rolled her eyes at him, watching as he got up and left the room, entrusting that she wouldn't injure his terribly wounded friend. He was a bold one, or just that sleep deprived that he wasn't thinking clearly. Either that, or he didn't care about Lucian as much as he pretended to, none of which boded well for the unconscious hybrid laid out in the bed.

"You wouldn't dare. I'd throw you to hell by your nonexistent horns." She scoffed as he left the room and leaned back against the wall again. Lucian had clearly taken far more damage than she had, but she didn't remember him being hit that many times. Exactly how many bullets had struck him during the attack on the ice cream shop?

"Stupid hybrid better not die before we figure out what happened." She rubbed at her face, wincing with the motion of moving her sore body before she settled down and simply stared across the room at him. "Stupid... Humans." To hell with it, if he was passed out, then she was going to get some more sleep, seated on the floor or not.

Last edited:
“Bitch…” Merik grumbled, giving Annaliese the finger just before stepping outside. Of course, Lucian’s partner would always be within earshot of the room. There would be little opportunities for the feline to land any sort of hit of Lucian. That was a 100% guarantee.

It had not been too terribly long before Lucian let out a strained but audible sigh. His body felt numb but he was in pain at the same—it was such an odd sensation; however, despite all of these out of the ordinary feelings, Luciancracked on is his eyes open. The bright amber that his eyes usually displayed had dimmed considerably, however, he was still only slightly conscious.

“M…Meri,” Lucian breathed, saying the name of the last person he saw before passing out.
Passing out was something that had only happened to him while drunk, so to wake up without a hangout was odd—then again, he’d have much preferred the hangover over this feeling.

Lucian finally stirred in the bed, now moving a his hands and his legs slowly. “What…the…fuck…” he finally grunted, now breathing the words louder and in more of a whine.

Annaliese opened one eye at the sound of the mumbling, shifting slightly and trying to sort out what he was saying. The hybrid seemed barely lucid and was mumbling to himself, and after she spent a moment focusing it sounded like he was trying to sound out the other demon's name? That would make sense considering Merik had been the one to haul him off from the scene of the attack and was probably one of the last people that Lucian had seen before passing out.

"Stop trying to move around, you look like you went through hell and back. You should just try to take it easy." She sighed and rubbed at her face, shifting again and opening the other eye to get a clearer view of him. "You got shot a few times. We both did, and your buddy out there is threatening me if I make even wrong move, so don't overdo it and send him running back in here thinking I did something."

Lucian’s eyes slid toward the voice that was speak. It wasn’t Merik—his voice was not nearly as attractive as the one speaking in this moment. It was a familiar voice, however, one that was rough and rude, but strangely sweet. “Huu…why’re you here,” Lucian finally asked, now realizing who his visitor was.
Why would she come? She seemed to completely hate him during the time they spent together, so she was probably sent here by Cole, he supposed.

“Yeah…guess I…got shot,” Lucian said as he, surprisingly, did as he was told. Now, since he had begun to relax, Lucian was able to focus a bit more on Annaliese. She was so beautiful, even after having been shot.

“you look beautiful… even though you got… shot…”

Wait…did I just say that out loud?!

Lucian’s cheeks turned a deep red color and he immediately turned his head in embarrassment. He found that his tongue was quite a bit looser while under the influence of whatever drug he was on; however, this was not the time to be loose tongued.

“I’m high…ignore that,” the executive muttered, still with his face turned away.

"You're fucking stoned. I can't say I'm surprised, you seem to be in pretty bad shape. Whatever they shot us with did a number on both of us. Normally I'd be all healed up by now, but it fuckin' hurts to move." Despite that statement and the way it clearly pained her to move around, Annaliese pushed herself to her feet carefully and crossed the room a bit unsteadily.

"At least you've got enough blood in you to blush, so that's a good sign. Alright, my little stoned hybrid, any idea who would have sent a bunch of humans after us?" She took a seat on the edge of the bed beside him and winced again, holding a hand to her side before exhaling slowly.

"Because once I find out, I'm going to tear them limb from limb. They ruined my jacket."

Lucian managed a half-hearted chuckle. “Those bullets…packed a punch. Knocked me…on my ass,” Lucian said first with a snort; however, at Annaliese’s comment and the title that he’d been given, the executive grinned, obviously amused now. “Barely…enough blood,” he man said, and wrinkled his nose.

“Why would you…think I know a damn…thing about it? Wouldn’t have…gotten shot if I’d known,” Lucian told her as he watched Annaliese sit closer.
“I think…someone set us up,” he finally said with a mod. This idea did make the most sense in Lucian head, regardless of how high he was. He and Annaliese were the two top executives of two major syndicates. Who wouldn’t try to get the two together in the same location?
This in mind, who would have known the prior conditions? He nor Annaliese would have known that they would be working together. Surely their bosses hadn’t planned this.

None of this makes sense. Who would know? A human wouldn’t be the mastermind in this plan. It was too complex…but…humans attacked them.

“A Supernatural is…involved,” Lucian said, seeming as though he were certain of this hypothesis.

"Well, clearly someone set us up." She made an exasperated noise and shook her head. The question wasn't whether or not they'd somehow been set up, but by who? Better yet, why? To weaken both groups so that they could be taken down at once, or to put them at odds thinking the other had simply been collateral or an accident? Cole wouldn't have set something up like that, especially not without telling her about it. If she'd been hit by more than one bullet, it was entirely possible she would have been just as injured as Lucian had been, although she still had no idea what had been in the bullets until they were properly examined.

"There's a million of those out there and it could be any number of people. Move over." If he was going to be confined in a bed laying down, she wasn't going to sit there and make herself feel worse when there was already a bed right there.

"Could be one of ours if someone was getting greedy," She waited for him to move over and then stretched out carefully beside him. "Could be a rival or some new gang trying to move in and take over the territories. What better way to do that then to try and take out the second in command of both gangs? Any idea what the hell was in the bullets?"

“Clearly…” Lucian breathed and finally began to move a bit more. “I can…hear what you’re thinking, Annaliese…weakening both groups…it makes sense,” he told the woman with a nod. “We’d discussed this…on the way to the…site if you remember,” he mumbled and lifted his hand to rub his face, wanting to wake himself up a bit more. Thinking in this state was difficult.

“If there’s something…deeper…between our organizations, namely…it’s going to get…ugly,” Lucian said after another moment. It was unlikely, especially Cole—he seemed levelheaded; on the other hand, there was his Boss, which was not levelheaded. “I’d like to…think that…that is not the case,” Lucian sighed and groaned quietly at the situation.

“This is making my head h—the fuck’re… you talking about,” Lucian squeaked, confused at Annaliese’s demand. Of course, the executive slowly scooted his body, giving the woman a bit of room as he listened to a few other theories, ones that he didn’t quite agree with. “Again…doesn’t make sense for a rival gang to…do this. It’s too smart…and funded…” Lucian paused and glanced over toward Annaliese with a dark, lifted brow. “Those bullets…they were made to kill us. Seemed new based on what…that fucker said…after he shot me.”

There was a thoughtful stare upward that crossed Lucian’s groggy expression. He didn’t speak yet; however it was obvious that there were ideas swirling in his brain.

It didn’t make sense for there to be a rival gang trying to take them out. Why would they be working with humans? Even intruding syndicates wouldn’t trust humans to stick to their words.
And the bullets…not things that supernaturals would own—those are definitely human made, but why? Could there being something to the lin that had been seen?

Lucian finally snapped out of his daze and cleared his throat. “Has to be humans…which means…there’s a supernatural mole…where…I do not know.”

What had they said after shooting him? Annaliese couldn't remember much from the actual incident, considering she'd gone straight to tearing apart the humans who had attacked them. The mess she'd left behind had probably been enough to make anyone cringe, especially any humans that ended up working the scene and investigating, and her memory was a bit foggy between that and the blood loss from being shot herself.

"Better find out from whoever fixed you up, then. I'm sure Cole and the others are checking on my end, they had to dig one out of me, so they're probably doing all sorts of fun things to it to experiment." A supernatural mole that they had to hunt down, and neither of them were in particularly good condition to do it right that moment. She could technically go out and about to investigate since she had gotten a few hours of sleep, but the motivation to get up now that she'd laid down was almost nonexistent.

"How long until you're healed enough to move?"

“We have doctors for that. They are constantly around…since all of these assholes…get fucked up…so often,” Lucian told her with a lazy shrug as he moved his amber eyes toward Annaliese. “Why didn’t Cole…come here instead of…you. Since…your injured and all,” the executive finally asked, still perplexed at being in the same bed as him. It was off but strangely comforting; which was surprising, since Annaliese was anything but comforting. “Regardless…I’m sure we will…figure out this whole…killing supernaturals bullet.”

A supernatural mole seems…completely insane.

Lucian let out an annoyed sigh and lifted his head a bit before moving his hand to one of the wrapped wounds. “I have…no idea. I’d like to be up…by tomorrow,” he told her with a quiet chuckle. “Then again, I don’t know how…this shit is going to affect my body. Or even…yours,” he admitted as he tilted his head, displaying a thoughtful expression now. “Aside from tired…how do you feel? And don’t say like shit…that’s not an answer,” he said then pursed his lips tightly.

"Cole doesn't know I'm here." She sighed tiredly and made a small attempt to shrug before instantly regretting it. "He just thinks I called someone to talk to them, since that's kind of my job. I'm supposed to be at home resting." Tough shit, like she was really going to just sit or lay around while someone was out there attacking her kind. What was next, they went after Cole and his wife just to see if they could?

"If you heal by tomorrow after how bad you look now, I'll consider myself impressed." She echoed his laughter and caught him looking at her, raising an eyebrow back at him but otherwise making no effort to move. She was comfortable where she was, and Lucian was in no way a threat to her now, not that he had seemed like much of one before. Neither of them had any reason to directly injure the other past perhaps some playful banter, and they weren't going to start now that they'd both been attacked by a common enemy.

"I'll be fine, how I feel doesn't really matter when you're the one who almost died, from what I can see. I'm tired, this is comfortable, I think I'm going to take a bit of a nap before we have to deal with anything else. Just make sure Merik doesn't kill me in my sleep, he was making some real pretty threats before he left the room."

Lucian snorted and lazily shook his head. “You’re incredibly irresponsible,” the hybrid commented quietly and carefully readjusted himself in the bed. Why would she feel the need to go out of her way just to question him? It was odd in his mind. “You should be resting in your own…damn house, you know,” he added and moved his amber eyes back up to stare at the blank ceiling. “I guess…you just couldn’t…stay away from me,” Lucian teased her, taking a long breath afterward. “Suppose…I would behave done…the same,” he admitted with a hint of pink in his cheeks.

The thought of healing by tomorrow was daunting, and the executive hardly believed it was possible. Then again, Lucian had overcome much more difficult situations, just none with supernatural killing bullets.
“I’ll…do my best to…impressive such…a lovely la—kitten,” Lucian said, beginning to be kind, however opting to tease instead. “Hmm…I bet you were sooooo…worried about me,” the man continued with his ridiculousness.

Hearing Annalise admit that she was tired, caused Lucian further concern. The truth was, despite being half dead, himself, he had worried for the other executive; though, Lucian had to admit, he was perplexed at why he’d care.

“Don’t mind if ya sleep…can’t promise I won’t join…Merik in doodling on your face,” Lucian giggled, glancing back over toward Annaliese. “Night night, kitten~” hr purred.

"If you two draw on my face, I might scratch up that pretty one of yours." Annaliese muttered quietly but otherwise made no protest, exhaling steadily and getting as comfortable as she could. In any other situation she wouldn't have dared to put herself in a vulnerable position around someone she considered an enemy, but there was an old saying.

Enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Did that make them friends, for the time being?

"Go to sleep before I knock you out myself."

It didn't take Annaliese long to fall asleep again despite the presence of a virtual stranger around her. The combination of everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours, nay, less than twenty four hours, had taken its toll on her. The bed seemed so much smaller than it already was when she was sharing it with the injured beast of a man beside her, and once or twice she pushed at him in her sleep to avoid falling off the edge of the bed. The last thing she needed was to fall on the floor and hurt herself even more. Lucian seemed like he had no intent to harm her, but Merik... Well, she couldn't be sure he wouldn't try to gut her if she looked at him the wrong way. Or worse, look at Lucian the wrong way. Did he have a thing for the hybrid, or was this just how the SAO operated when their piece of shit boss wasn't around?

"Where the fuck are you?"

That wasn't exactly how she wanted to be woken some time later, Cole's voice a mixture of irritation and worry on the other end of the phone. The feline sighed, draping an arm over her eyes and stretching out her legs over what appeared to be someone beside her. Right, the hybrid. Why had she thought it was a smart idea to crawl into bed with him, regardless of it being a bed used for medical reasons? Right, quickest way to make sure they got answers after their impromptu nap.

"Trying to figure out what happened. What do you need?"

"You sound like you just woke up."

"What's your point, Cole? What do you need?"

"Just get back here when you're done with whatever you're doing. I've set a meeting tonight for our people."

Pleasant as always with his abrupt hanging up, and she sighed before setting the phone on her stomach and yawning. What time was it, anyway?

Back
Top Bottom