Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Out of Sync

On this, as on every, Anzac Day:

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget

Well...I've been absent from writing for a while. Mainly 'cause of work, but more recently because of a simple PC upgrade that got horribly complicated and messy.

I upgraded my PC. Bought a second-hand RTX-3080 graphics card from a work friend (he upgraded to the RTX-4090), so I bought his old card.

Got the card, got extra RAM, got a new hard drive...no problem, right?

Wrong.

The RAM and hard drive? Went in easy. The graphics card? My original case was underpowered. So...new case & power supply. So far, so good. But...the card only outputs to one screen. Check drivers are correct and up-to-date, start pulling back hardware, move cables back and forth...nope. Search forums. "Try turning off CSM in your BIOS." No, can't do that...my system was built using MBR format, not GPT. You can convert from MBR to GPT, Windows has its own tool for that...nope. I've somehow got system partitions on C: drive AND D: drive, can't convert one without compromising the whole system (converter won't let me, anyway). Fuck.

So...I'm now at the point of removing all hard drives except C: drive (after I copy everything from C: to an external drive to make sure I don't lose anything), hitting the BIOS to turn on TPM and UEFI and turn off CSM, then wiping my C: and installing Win-11...and starting over.

Joy.

Back
Top Bottom