Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Out of Sync

On a family vacation at the moment - a short one, only a week or so, but a break nonetheless.

Went out to a wildlife sanctuary today. Lots of animals on display - big enclosure for Meerkats, several different enclosures for Koalas...and lots of kangaroos freely roaming (among other creatures present, but they were the highlights).

The thing is...I feel more at peace when I'm with animals. Feeding the 'roos is easy - hold open a bag of feed and they'll come (generally). They'll happily eat from your hand.

I know, I've said it before: I love kangaroos. They're big, beautiful animals, powerful but gentle, awkward-looking but bearing an air of grace when they move.

And I feel more comfortable with the kangaroos than I feel with people.

I think I'd happily work with animals for the rest of my life. I know in my heart I could...but my head knows I'd have to learn everything before I could do anything, and I'm just not up for that. It's too big a change for me to seriously contemplate.

Is it wrong that part of me would happily uproot my current life for a chance at inner peace?

Some days I wonder whether the universe would be better off without me.

Other days I realise it's not just some days.

Been there, have those too. A lot. Want to be with my Beloved that I lost. Don't cuz I dunno about God but error on side of caution. And cuz she would would be furious with me. Hope you don't.

Heh...it's almost exactly a year since my interview with Lydia was posted. It was fun to do it.

One thing that strikes me about it - my reference to my playlist of music that I was collecting. In the interview, I had 130 tracks for about 10 hours of play-time.

Well, as I noted: the playlist is still a work in progress. The list is now over 390 tracks for 30 hours of listening.

If you're even a little interested in knowing what music stirs me, I've been posting it to the What are you listening to? thread. There's lots of good music and tracks in there, but we're all individuals and we've all got different tastes.

Other than noting that particular musical "milestone"...this is largely a What's The Point post, I guess.

Be Kind. :)

Christmas Day is (almost) upon us - as I type this, it's technically 16 hours away. Our family plans have been thrown into turmoil by COVID - my brother-in-law has it (was confirmed only two days ago), and he & my sister were going to be hosting us for Christmas Day lunch.

Now we're hosting what is going to be a (thankfully) smaller family gathering. Cobbling together a Christmas Day lunch on 48 hours' notice is...fun. Not. You can only get what's available...take it or leave it. It won't be fancy...but everything will be there in some fashion. Plus we're going to be spending today cleaning up the house. It'll be great. >.>

In other randomness...

I've heard a lot of stupid things in my life. One of the biggest is the rise of the Flat Earth Society. It just boggles my mind that there are people out there who are trying to convince us that the Earth really is flat, and that centuries of Astronomical science and observations are just bogus...even when you present them with evidence like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDShWTVNobY

If you stop and think about it, Interplanetary and Interstellar space are really creepy. There's just so much nothingness that we know so little about, and when we do encounter something our understanding is infinitesimally small. And when you convert some of our encounters to sound waves and make sure we can hear it...you can sometimes wish you hadn't. It is both scary and fascinating, which is what drives humanity to keep exploring, to make the unknown known, to take the fear away from the scary.

NASA probes have been recording and exploring for us for decades. The most famous of them - Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 - were both launched in 1977 (the same year Star Wars: A New Hope was released). There have been other probes, of course: Juno (to Jupiter), Cassini (to Saturn), Reconnaissance and Curiosity and Perseverance (to Mars), among many others. What they've found has only scratched the surface of what's out there. Then there are the ground-based and orbital facilities, such as LIGO (the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), the Hubble and James Webb space telescopes, VLA (Very Large Array of radio telescopes), Mauna Kea observatory, and so many, many others, all of which are striving to improve our understanding of the universe we live in.

Optical imagery is beautiful and compelling; the audio just brings home how careful we need to be and how fragile we really are.

8 Strangest sounds recorded in space. This is a little dated, now, but still interesting. It is a compilation of various sounds recorded by some of the afore-mentioned probes.

Nasa releases audio of what a black hole 'sounds' like. This is a short clip, and the audio was extrapolated and compiled from the observed effects of gravity on clouds of gas.

What's somewhat funny about the following 2 clips (they're both older clips) is that the two events that have the most destructive capacity also have the cutest sounds:

Scary Sounds of Space

Scary Sounds of Space (Part 2)

In other news...I worked through Christmas & New Year. It was draining and a little stressful, such that I wasn't able to sit back and relax and unwind, because I was working during the day and on-call during the holidays and nights...so had to keep my phone and laptop nearby just in case. I didn't get many calls, fortunately, but the lack of incoming work doesn't detract from the tension of having to be ready because something might happen.

The first week back at the office...could have done without it. Didn't find out until Tuesday morning that there was only going to be 2 of us working that first week. Managed to make it all go through, but it was still tiring. My already-drained creativity took a hit - I want to write, but the will to write isn't there, and it's hurting me in more areas than here. One day I'll pull out of it, but it's not going to be something I can force, I think: it'll happen when it happens.

Take care, BMR.

Last edited:
If you stop and think about it, Interplanetary and Interstellar space are really creepy. There's just so much nothingness that we know so little about, and when we do encounter something our understanding is infinitesimally small. And when you convert some of our encounters to sound waves and make sure we can hear it...you can sometimes wish you hadn't. It is both scary and fascinating, which is what drives humanity to keep exploring, to make the unknown known, to take the fear away from the scary.

NASA probes have been recording and exploring for us for decades. The most famous of them - Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 - were both launched in 1977 (the same year Star Wars: A New Hope was released). There have been other probes, of course: Juno (to Jupiter), Cassini (to Saturn), Reconnaissance and Curiosity and Perseverance (to Mars), among many others. What they've found has only scratched the surface of what's out there. Then there are the ground-based and orbital facilities, such as LIGO (the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), the Hubble and James Webb space telescopes, VLA (Very Large Array of radio telescopes), Mauna Kea observatory, and so many, many others, all of which are striving to improve our understanding of the universe we live in.

Optical imagery is beautiful and compelling; the audio just brings home how careful we need to be and how fragile we really are.

8 Strangest sounds recorded in space. This is a little dated, now, but still interesting. It is a compilation of various sounds recorded by some of the afore-mentioned probes.

Nasa releases audio of what a black hole 'sounds' like. This is a short clip, and the audio was extrapolated and compiled from the observed effects of gravity on clouds of gas.

What's somewhat funny about the following 2 clips (they're both older clips) is that the two events that have the most destructive capacity also have the cutest sounds:

Scary Sounds of Space

Scary Sounds of Space (Part 2)

In other news...I worked through Christmas & New Year. It was draining and a little stressful, such that I wasn't able to sit back and relax and unwind, because I was working during the day and on-call during the holidays and nights...so had to keep my phone and laptop nearby just in case. I didn't get many calls, fortunately, but the lack of incoming work doesn't detract from the tension of having to be ready because something might happen.

The first week back at the office...could have done without it. Didn't find out until Tuesday morning that there was only going to be 2 of us working that first week. Managed to make it all go through, but it was still tiring. My already-drained creativity took a hit - I want to write, but the will to write isn't there, and it's hurting me in more areas than here. One day I'll pull out of it, but it's not going to be something I can force, I think: it'll happen when it happens.

Take care, BMR.

Just reread our space opera/epic for the nth time and then followed with the human/elf one. You did damn fine work there. Honored you allowed me to write with you.

I know, I recently posted some of the following in the What Are You Listening To thread, but I've fallen in love (so to speak) with this group.

There is something powerful, something that truly resonates on many levels, when a group of Baritones and Basses get together and just unleash the power of their vocal ranges.

So I'll post them here to make sure I don't lose them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Vkh1Iy5IA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOqjuIN4Yo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Oc9Xl5Aps

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOqjuIN4Yo

Last edited:
Dr Becky Smethurst is an Astrophysicist, published author (I should try and get her books...), YouTuber, and junior research fellow at Oxford University. She's a gorgeous person (so far as I can guess from her YouTube clips), intelligent, articulate and engaging...and she has a good singing voice, too, as you can see from the Bloopers reels she often includes at the end of her clips. She's also received several awards from her peers for her work. If Astronomy and Astrophysics is your thing, her YT channel is worth checking out.

Anyway, here she is reacting to a few space-oriented memes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqYlqWvlPTA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQl-RYrbRas

So work has sucked the past week or so, and it's not going to be any better next week.

In my role I primarily look after and set up new starters - people who join the business. I set up their IT accounts, flick off tickets to other teams to get additional access(es) sorted out, build their PCs, install the software they need (as much as I can)... make sure their Day One is as smooth as I can make it. In additional to regular IT day-to-day stuff.

The past two weeks have been really draining. There are over 20 new starters coming in the next two weeks, and I've been prepping for them for the past week and a half already. It gets worse when people (knowing I look after the on-boardings) approach me on Wednesday and say "Sorry for the short notice, but I've got a new person joining on Monday..." and expect me to be happy about it when I'm already stretched thin for time and hardware. I've been telling people (honestly, and with my Team Leader's backing) that we can't accommodate the hardware requests (other than a new computer). I regularly do an average of 30-45 minutes of overtime a day just to try and keep up with the workload.

Yesterday (Friday) was one such case. From my official 5:00pm finish, I actually didn't leave until 6:30pm - I was probably the last one in the building (other than the cleaners).

The thing is...I actually liked that last hour. There was no-one around. I could get my stuff done, do what I had to do, do it my own way, and I didn't have to deal with people - I think that's the most important part. It was quiet, peaceful, no-one ringing with a problem, no-one walking up and wanting something...it was enjoyable. I felt calm for the first time in a long while, even if I knew it was just fleeting.

Cherish the moments when they happen.

I hate being the "reliable, dependable" one - but I can't help myself.

It's in my nature to be the one that steps up and does things, and I hate that because of that, things keep falling my way.

And all the time, I'm screaming on the inside for a break, for someone else to do something.

Sometimes it's good to have a little perspective on things. As humans, living on our insignificant blue rock that circles a very average star on the edge of an unremarkable galaxy, we sometimes lose sight of the fact that there is an entire universe out there that has no idea we even exist.

Clips like these can help put things into that perspective:

To Scale: THE SOLAR SYSTEM

To Scale: TIME

It can be a little humbling to realise that if the Earth were to simply vanish tomorrow...the universe wouldn't notice.

So...this may be a bit more of a venting post - but I'm feeling somewhat disappointed and let down at the moment.

We're hosting a Japanese exchange student at the moment; the experience has been organised through my son's school with their "sister school" in Japan. She arrived last Friday, is staying with us until next Monday - 11 days (10 nights) in total. We're not the only host family - there are about a dozen families all up.

We've been jerked around a little bit by the school over schedules - the exchange students were originally going to be leaving us on the Monday night, which would have allowed us to have a farewell dinner. But instead, the students are leaving on the Monday morning, meaning we don't really get a final farewell dinner (we've already made plans for the Sunday evening) - and because of her work schedule, my wife now misses out on saying goodbye completely.

What's pissing me off more is another host family - they live only a couple of minutes away, and my son is good friends with their daughter.

This other host family has been robbing me of experiences with my exchange student, and no-one seems to give a flying fuck how I might feel about that.

When we found out about the change of departure time, this other family threw an impromptu party for their exchange student - they invited my son and exchange student, but not my wife or myself. We found out about this when we got home from work - no consultation was engaged with either myself or my wife.

I'd planned to take my exchange student to an observatory so she could view the night skies like she cannot do at home, look at stellar objects through telescopes, and she'd seemed quite keen to do that. But instead, she's having dinner at this other family's house because my son and this other family's daughter are sick and she's spending time with a fellow exchange student.

This other family is taking my son and my exchange student to a major shopping centre, then on for dinner and to a major light festival/experience. Only limited consultation with us there, and we only really found out about the plan to go on to the festival when the tickets had already been bought and paid for.

I know - this visit is for the exchange students to experience a little bit of life in a foreign country and culture. But it's also for the host families to learn a little about the life of their visiting students, as well as helping the visiting students improve their spoken English, and I'm missing out on part of that because of this other family.

I know I'm doing "the right thing" by putting the needs of our exchange student first. But that's all I seem to fucking do these days: put the needs of others first - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". I've got the perspective of a Vulcan...if only I had their mental and emotional discipline as well.

So...yeah. Feeling tired, disappointed, let down, unappreciated, unwanted...invisible.

Well...our exchange student has left. I don't mind admitting that a few tears were shed when we said goodbye.

She is (was) a lovely girl, open to trying lots of new things. Her spoken English wasn't great when she arrived, but there was a marked improvement in her conversation by the time she left.

I'm glad we were able to ensure she got a few iconic Australian experiences: feeding wallabies, feeding kangaroos, feeding emus...eating a meat pie and a lamington.

I wish her luck in her future endeavours (she wants to be a History teacher). We're going to miss her.

You know that feeling when you've been moving really hard & fast for a while, then you slow down for a moment and it all catches up with you...?

Yeah - that's me right now. Work's been hectic for months, capped off by hard work prepping for & hosting our exchange student; now she's gone, I've slowed down...and I'm sick.

Nothing major, just a cold, really - coughing, sneezing, generally run-down...yay.

Back
Top Bottom