Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Bad RP Habits Do You Have?

I immediately know if I don't want to rolepaly with someone based on how they approach me/ respond to my board.

- If it's linking me to your own request thread, immediate no,
- If your request is sparse, immediate no,
- if your writing is calculated/ immediately suspicious.. no

Also, I ghost when I get bored. I've been ghosted plenty. It doesn't matter lol

I immediately know if I don't want to rolepaly with someone based on how they approach me/ respond to my board.
That sounds like you're making snap judgements and taking things at face value. Though what you say is true it's "at that current point in time". I point this out because I change the minds of stubborn people.

Also, I ghost when I get bored. I've been ghosted plenty. It doesn't matter lol
You're stooping to that level when you do it yourself. Isn't that being hypocritical? I can fall into the habit of ghosting too when all people say is hello. But I don't like myself for that. At the same time there's no questions or anything to challenge so...

Hmm... Maybe I should at least try to challenge those "simple" people more. This has giving me something to think on.

May I ask how they are being hypocritical there? They said they ghost when they get bored, that they have been ghosted plenty and it isn't a big deal. That would be the opposite of hypocritical, they're stating that they don't care about ghosting, and they ghost themselves. Seems pretty well adjusted to me tbh.

That sounds like you're making snap judgements and taking things at face value. Though what you say is true it's "at that current point in time". I point this out because I change the minds of stubborn people.

You're stooping to that level when you do it yourself. Isn't that being hypocritical? I can fall into the habit of ghosting too when all people say is hello. But I don't like myself for that. At the same time there's no questions or anything to challenge so...

Hmm... Maybe I should at least try to challenge those "simple" people more. This has giving me something to think on.

Word.

I don't get mad when people ghost me. It is what it is :)

May I ask how they are being hypocritical there? They said they ghost when they get bored, that they have been ghosted plenty and it isn't a big deal. That would be the opposite of hypocritical, they're stating that they don't care about ghosting, and they ghost themselves. Seems pretty well adjusted to me tbh.

Right?! Thank you, I appreciate you :)

I think most people on this site will attest to the fact that I mostly give a reason for my ghosting.

I don't leave a trail of carnage, and not every roleplay is meant to go on forever and ever and ever and ever. <3

I find this a bit shameful but perhaps a lot of you can relate, but in some cases I have the need to get attention from people, it can be just random people as long as it fills that need.
So I will go out of my way to have people looking at me or complimenting me and stuff like that.
Other times, I am completely introverted and want to hide away in my room with a book or movie or videogame. But sometimes I just get that urge, which has led to some embarrassing moments in the past.

Similar to the scripting comments, if brainstorming is too detailed I feel like I've already written the story and lose interest.
I wanna write to see what happens.

I'm a bit cold to OOC sometimes. Not that I try to, it's the same way for people in my every day life. I'm very standoffish for a while. And then all of a sudden I'll be talking your ear off and you'd wish I would just shut up. I feel like I have my reasons but some people take it hard.

I have a tendency to get weirded out very early by people, I don't know if it's always fair or if I'm letting outside influences change how I feel about an RP but sometimes it gets to the point where I just can't RP with that person. It's not a great trait and I'm sure it's made me have a bad reputation, I've cut off people for reasons that might seem mean. But then again, you have to be compatible to RP with someone, and some people I am just NOT compatible with...

Too much focus on dialogue, not enough descriptions.
I'm the other way around. I describe the sights, sounds and setting in spades. But I suck at dialogue. For these reasons, I feel that I used to be a great GM. But those days are sadly behind me because player fickleness long ago burnt that candle out.

I'm the other way around. I describe the sights, sounds and setting in spades. But I suck at dialogue. For these reasons, I feel that I used to be a great GM. But those days are sadly behind me because player fickleness long ago burnt that candle out.
Some may see this as a curse, but myself a gift! Description and detail is what makes the role play feel palpable, it makes it jump off the page and into my loins lol but Dialogue is also important but I think its easier to learn better dialogue then to teach yourself how to have a vivid imagination that allows you to craft a response with realistic details 🤷🏾‍♂️ So good on you!

My bad RP habit is over writing, so similar to you, I feel like sometimes I'll write a response that takes up 6-7 paragraphs that really could have been expressed in 3-4 😅 and I'm a bit of a snob, sue me

During a rp, I sometimes get into the rp so much that I would describe what the other person's rp character is doing without letting them say anything.

During a rp, I sometimes get into the rp so much that I would describe what the other person's rp character is doing without letting them say anything.
we call that godmodding. And it's pretty much universally frowned upon. lol

When I bump a thread, I immediately cross out anyone who reaches out with just one sentence or a one liner.

I know it’s probably rude, but if you don’t approach my idea with at least a hint of enthusiasm, how should I believe you will be enthusiastic enough to start and follow through with the roleplay?

I have many. I'd say one of the most common is responding when I might be a bit 'out of it'. Typically it leads to extra typos and errors grammar wise or my words don't come out write and become a confusing mess to read. To be fair it's not usually THAT bad but still looking back at what I typed before I can end up wincing quite a bit at stupid mistakes I made typing it up.

@Saiya I do that too. It usually manifests most cringe-inducingly in a post that doesn't push the plot forward, or may even cause it to spin it's wheels for a post or two longer than needed.

I sometimes get caught up and overthink what I'd like to write, something that can be simply explained now turns into hours of writing nothing but detail, play by play of the scene, only to erase it and start over completely.... 😅

I'm starting to realize I have this dangerous habit of just doing what feels right in the moment despite extensive talks between myself and my partner about where we're heading. I try to build a rapport with my partners as early as I can, and extending trust to them, as well as having them extend trust to me, is a huge part of keeping a story running strong.

But I think I've become so accustomed to being trusted with everything--from story progression, to playing the majority of supporting characters, to initiating battles and smaller fight scenes, to scene changes and timeskips--has enabled me to believe deep down that it's okay to take a left turn when we planned to go right. Or head down a highway and take the exit before or after the one you intended to. They give me significant creative control, so I wield it as I see fit most of the time.

It's not a good habit and I gotta stop feeding that shit. I don't always know what's best for the story and I need to be willing to talk about alterations more instead of just going for it. That's an easy way to lose trust and piss someone off later.

getting bogged down in very minor details that don't serve the story or the characters at all. i think i've gotten better about it in the last year; i can stop myself when i start doing it.

Back
Top Bottom