Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Bad RP Habits Do You Have?

Breezi

Purah Brainrot
The title says it all, what are some of the things that you know are bad but keep falling into, specifically about roleplaying and other related activities? It could be something minor like reusing phrases or plots shamelessly or it could be the ones that we all know about, the constant bumping and waiting for someone to be interested instead of trying to roleplay with the people that you're already roleplaying. Let's be reasonable though and not get into any inflammatory topics here. I'll admit to bumping my threads and waiting for like an hour to see if anyone is interested despite me having plenty of people I'm roleplaying with and it's not necessarily disinterest in my own RPs, it's just wanting to see if anyone wants something else, filling a craving that's not being satisfied by my current RPs. And I know it's a bad habit, it's why I'm posting it here.

I dont communicate enough sometimes, when i rush out a reply in ooc it comes off as one sided conversation or
If i dont know about a certain kink i just try to guess about how to react to it

Getting caught up in the moment-to-moment, play-by-play level of an rp when the plot needs to move on, just cause I'm probably too into the drama or interaction of a particular scene.

If I get to plotting too much in depth about what we're going to do, I lose the motivation to do it. And it doesn't matter how great and epic the ideas are nor how genuinely excited I am about them and writing them, my ADHD puts it in the "work" file and I have to daily battle my cognitive disorder to actually sit down and write the next post.

And it bothers me, people's advice for this is shit like, "well it's not set in stone" or "just change it". You mean...write a different story than the one I'm simultaneously excited and stumped on? Gee, you're brilliant. :rolleyes: It's not a solution to say "just do different stuff" when the stuff you have planned is genuinely great and exciting and that's the story you wish you could get yourself to write.

I'll do too much world building for people, factions, and locations that will probably never be encountered.

But I still love doing it, probably more than actually writing a story.

Sometimes, I get too in my character's head in a particular moment and I leave my partner with very little to actually work with in terms of a reply. It makes for good character development, but as an actual cooperative effort, it can put a damper on things.

Working on it, though. That's the best anyone can do.

Sometimes, I get too in my character's head in a particular moment and I leave my partner with very little to actually work with in terms of a reply. It makes for good character development, but as an actual cooperative effort, it can put a damper on things.

Working on it, though. That's the best anyone can do.
I can drink to that, man. Do that wayyyy too much

If I get to plotting too much in depth about what we're going to do, I lose the motivation to do it. And it doesn't matter how great and epic the ideas are nor how genuinely excited I am about them and writing them, my ADHD puts it in the "work" file and I have to daily battle my cognitive disorder to actually sit down and write the next post.

And it bothers me, people's advice for this is shit like, "well it's not set in stone" or "just change it". You mean...write a different story than the one I'm simultaneously excited and stumped on? Gee, you're brilliant. :rolleyes: It's not a solution to say "just do different stuff" when the stuff you have planned is genuinely great and exciting and that's the story you wish you could get yourself to write.

Yup. Me too.

After a lot of planning it starts to feel like I'm following a script.

I get too attached. I refuse to quit even if the partner is obviously not listening to me. That's why now I hesitate if I don't feel it.

Yup. Me too.

After a lot of planning it starts to feel like I'm following a script.
Oof! Yes. That's the worst.

I've been trying to do better. I know mine is specifically from a cognitive disorder, so, I've been working extra hard over the past few months not to give up on the shit I like and want to do. Even if my brain is like "I think this feels boring! I can't sit still! Let's watch a movie!" I'm trying to buckle down, get those dopamine hits, and focus on the rp even when it feels like a script. Because it's an epic script and feeling like I've already written it when I haven't is illogical. I'll give up on the shit I don't like and don't want to do. But the stories I genuinely am excited about? Worth training my brain to push through that mild discomfort for.

I avoid plotting and just go on vibes to the point that I have annoyed past partners haha

Also sometimes I get way more into the OOC than the actual writing, lol

Then, if I wait too long to reply, I feel worse, and end up avoiding it even more
Yep. this is my biggest issue. I fucking hate it. I wish I could knock myself out of this.

I sometimes struggle to actually translate all of the thoughts I have in my head into words. I know what things to include to tie plot and characterization into my replies, but sometimes I rush and forget to add details and even entire ideas that would improve my replies. I need to slow down sometimes

Oh. Where do I start:

• I noticed that I can lose interest in the roleplay if my partner uses newbie typographic choices. Such as bad contrast, center-aligned text, etc.
  • Being a freelancer – there are periods of my life when I have a lot of time and ones with multiple deadlines. I tell my partners that I will be away. But almost always wrong about estimates. I can say "I'll be away for a week or two". But it takes me a month to deadlines resolved, and then put my life back on track.
  • I change styles a lot. Sometimes I would read a book – and try to write in a similar style…in the middle of existing RP. I am so-so-so grateful to my partners who are tolerating this. It must be confusing, "why did this guy suddenly change his style?"

I like a lot of momentum and plot progress - usually try to avoid getting too bogged down in character conversations or in details that I don’t immediately find relevant to the story. This can occasionally cross the line into rushing through things.

I also have a few words I overuse, and tell rather than show a lot (though, to be fair, “showing” all the time can be just as problematic). I probably hit the adverbs too hard. I abuse semicolons, colons, and dashes, but I feel zero guilt about that, lol.

Edit: I also, use, too many, commas.

I cater too much to my partner’s interests at the expense of my own wishes and desires.

Repeating myself; most common if there are long gaps between posts. Feel like I need to keep reestablishing the scene.

Last edited:
Probably focus. I often lose track of time and before I know it, a month has passed and I still have to reply. I do feel guilty about that, because my partners are all amazing people and I cherish them, but it is hard to shake off the bad habits we develop while writing.

Disappearing. Between work, hobbies, and my relationship, I sometimes don't have the time or mental energy to put in a worthwhile reply.

To compensate for that, I try to roleplay more casually with shorter post lengths. That way, its easier for me to reply and I can still get my roleplay fix.

I have a horrible habit of letting outside influences take me out of my writing. I really need to learn to separate the two.

Getting caught up in the moment-to-moment, play-by-play level of an rp when the plot needs to move on, just cause I'm probably too into the drama or interaction of a particular scene.
I don't see that as a bad habit. Novels do this all the time, expanding a scene because it is entertaining, even though the reader understands the story is still happening.

Related to this, though, is my bad habit: As a scene gets steamier, my replies get shorter. I'm too caught up in the primary emotion MC is feeling. I'm getting better at taking my time responding and discovering some real substance in my reply.

Back
Top Bottom