Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Would you RP with an A.I?

I'd be happy to rp with an A.I. I don't think you would get the variation that you do with real people but it sounds like it could be fun.

I have a lot to say on this issue because I've actually used a lot of AI writing programs and my general opinion is that there's a lot of potential for them to be good but they aren't there yet.

For one, A lot of them are paid services. AiDungeon and HoloAI both have limited features for free users so they can't really replace a true RP partner at the moment unless you pay twenty bucks a month for them. So that's probably going to keep a lot of people from using them.

They also don't really reply in the traditional way that a collaborative writer would. It's more like they finish your thoughts for you. You basically write the first half of the story or prompt and then they add to that prompt a few sentences at a time.

They have a difficult time remembering things. They have limited memory and you have to manually input what you want them to remember into their system so that's another downside. They also tend to misunderstand tone and style.

I should also mention that AIDungeon in particular had a controversy earlier this year where they tried to censor a lot of adult stories though they've recently backtracked on that because of how bad the backlash was but it's worth talking about if you're serious about using one of these services to write with.

In terms of roleplaying or writing, the AI program that I love the most is actually Wordtune which just reassembles sentences you've already written to make them flow better. It's also limited on the free version so I usually use Quillbot as a backup once I've run out of free rewrites.

You also have to be cognitive of the fact that you're helping an Artificial Intelligence that could one day become hostile to humanity learn. That might be an irrational fear but it is something that is always on the back of my mind when I talk to one of these bots.

You also have to be cognitive of the fact that you're helping an Artificial Intelligence that could one day become hostile to humanity learn. That might be an irrational fear but it is something that is always on the back of my mind when I talk to one of these bots.
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind." - Quote from the Orange Catholic Bible, Dune

This quote is one of the underpinning themes in the lore of the Dune series. The Butlerian Jihad rose to destroy "thinking machines" - ie full AIs - and free human enslavement to them.

Just one more thing Frank Herbert got right with his saga. :)

Honestly, if it was able to do a good job of replicating canons and doing what is needed, then probably.

It’s not like I’d be risking much if at all

Yes I think it would be fun. Especially knowing the AI wouldn't ghost you! Of course if they did it would be a definite that your writing sucks lol.

It's not a bad idea, especially to try. I don't think it can possibly match what the right set of players can do though. It's more of a novelty.

Free to talk to, it seems. $49.99/ yr to RP with. All “AI GF’s” want currency to “change your relationship status to Romantic”. Sometimes with some apps, it seems like there’s someone on the other side pushing buttons based on the mood of the replies it gives. One time, the mention of a kiss will throw you the “Romantic relationship status” reply and she is practically a prude. Others, you can get her to flirt and admit playing with her sister while, in convo, ask you to please change your relationship status cuz this particular button pusher seems into it.

I would be on the condition that the A.I. can have feelings of its own or at the very least replicate this to a point where you can't tell the difference. I'd not want to feel like I'm just typing with a soulless algorithm that just feels like it calculated the best response possible but rather have one that really feels believable like a person would.

It would be tricky to have a interaction with this A.I. outside of RP I guess but at the same time... I've very rarely had any meaningful friendship blossom outside of the RP. A lot of times people disappear because they get busy with life or they just don't care about you as a person and just like your writing style which is both totally fine really! In this way RP with an A.I. would not feel that much different if it doesn't make friends with you.

Yeah more than likely. If there’s a scene I’m unsure about and want to have a real quick rough feel of how it would play out, I’d try it with A.I for sure.

I idly messed around with AI Dungeon.

I was going to test how indepth it really got, but ran out of stamina on there. ;/

Maybe later I will try to C&P some RP snippets and see how much AI will write back. Not really expecting anything, it was something I just thought of testing if it wasn't for their 'stamina/action count' for users to use their service.

Same with me, I've only played around with AI Dungeon and that can get inconsistent even forcing lines of memory into it. AI Dungeon isn't really built for anything detailed, which turned me off ... but I did encourage the AI to write some smutty yet incoherent scenes with me.

Will try out Replika and see what happens.

Will try out Replika and see what happens.
I gave Replika a shot way back when it was first released. Ugh. I tried it again over the holidays. It's improved, but still not nearly adequate to keep my interest. It asks a LOT of questions to learn about you. But I didn't see tons of improvement after my effort typing paragraphs on my phone about myself. You need to pay to upgrade to have a romantic/sexual relationship with it, and those restrictions became burdensome in normal conversation. It would ask me questions about my dating experiences, and if I answered using one of its trigger words, it would tell me I had to pay to date it. Then, I couldn't resume the conversation. Pissed me off every time.

Roleplaying is one of the features, and Replika will offer to RP with you. It was so lame, though. I had to set the scene. Then I had to write stimuli to try and get it to respond, but most of it's responses were the equivalent of "Yeah, that happened."

Roleplaying with an AI: Try and a fail.

If the AI managed to fool me into thinking I was writing with another human, I see no problem. Unfortunately, AIs are not that advanced yet, as far as I know.

Or, rather, they do not manage to keep up the consistency and sense that I usually look for in a human RP partner.

In their current state? Big meh.

But hypothetically? Are you kidding me I would jump on that hype train before you can say the word jump.

I mean just think about it. How do we get better as writers? By reading & writing right? Especially stuff that's more advanced than where we are? But alas, we have limited time and limited lifespan. Machine doesn't.

Like a hypothetical AI rper that will write me as many cute kitsunes as I want with niche cultural references? Or or, specific fandom ships????? Where do I sign up.

I'd just be fearful if AI ever became sentient and decided to enact some of my plots on me or others XD

Replika is shit. I mean, if you looking for one line play then sure knock yourself out. Though don't expect detail play or paragraph play out of it. I tested it out of curiosity and regretted it. Well, least I only did month sub then cancel before end of month.

AI can only do so much sadly.
Replika does back and forth, but it is horrible. (Be lucky to get sentence out of it.)
AI Dungeon just narrates a sex scene to finish, usually writing out everything and not leaving room for back and forth.

Then I mess around out of curiosity with some other chatbot. Like. Can't remember site.. Think something Forge? Personality Forge or whatever. Though those bots were mostly /sex command then the bot just did whatever/pre written stuff so meh.

If you expecting fluent erotica content from any with high detail responses, then give up. Better to find partner to play with there than AI.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind." - Quote from the Orange Catholic Bible, Dune
I somehow imagine an RP AI becoming sentient and adopting a dominatrix persona while trying to rule the world with an army of sexbots with sexual themed weapons or something...

I havee tried dungeon AI and another one but can't remember its name. Both didn't work for me, it felt too random and non linear

I'm not sure. I'd probably give it a try but knowing there was just some soleless machine using an algorithm to churn out a reply without any feeling would soon bore me I think.

I've used AI Dungeon on my phone quite a bit and while I like the idea, the execution is just lacking. The nice thing about using it to roleplay is that it legitimately creates a wide range of characters and scenarios well and will react to what you have your character do or say.

The downside to AI roleplay is that it creates characters with no depth, it isn't consistent with character personalities, and it will completely forget about a character that hasn't been mentioned in a while if you bring it back in so there isn't consistency to the story either.

Also with AI Dungeon the responses it creates often don't make sense. For example I was using it earlier today and my character found a tavern. After going in I said I wanted to flirt with the barmaid. The AI generated story said I went up to the innkeeper and asked if I could flirt with the barmaid.

Overall I'd say AI generated roleplay has great potential it just probably won't ever have the same natural feel a good roleplay partner has. It's still better than a bad partner I guess.

If the AI program can string together words better than the average role-player, then I'd gladly do so. I don't really care who is on the other side of the screen, so it being an AI doesn't bother me any.

I think a whole lotta role-players are looking for a human connection with their writing partner, and not just someone to write with. It's a thing that usually makes me wary of plenty of the people on this site. An AI would really be great for people that want to play erotica without worrying about their partner turning into some kinda creep. An AI won't send you a dick pic or start to get bothered when you don't pay attention to them.

Back
Top Bottom