Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Crossing Borders (LustfulSins&Mari)

LustfulSins

Sin City Citizen
Itran

Species
Elven elementals:

A variation of the elven species whose affinity is based in nature, most often living amidst it in every aspect. Long-lived, excelling in stealth-based combat, and many members having such a heightened affinity to the natural world as to lean into deriving various magics from it.
Desert Hiesen (hee-sen)
A cold-blooded desert people thriving in hot, dry climates. Long-lived, possessing various serpentine qualities; highly refractive eyes allowing for vision in the dark, slitted pupils, a dangerously unhealthy aversion to cold temperatures, small fangs, and a pair of glands behind the fangs, which produce venom at will. The hiesen, in their constant desire for heat, can often be found cuddled together for even the most casual of activities or conversation, and the concept of personal space is almost non-existent amidst these desert dwellers.
Lore
Centuries ago, two species populated opposite sides of an island almost large enough to be called a continent. The elvish elementals, whose magic is based in nature, and the hiesen, a serpentine-like species that thrived in hot, dry climates. These two species were at constant war, feuding over resources and the requirements each species needed to thrive. The gods were not blind to this, yet they chose not to intervene. When it became apparent the two species were driving each other toward eradication from the island continent, one god stepped in. Itran, god of earth and sky alike, descended from the heavens and split the island continent in two. One half thrived with forests, mountains, and various rivers. The other half dried up, with sparse few oases and small rocky mountains surrounded by sands. Splitting the land ended the war and brought about centuries of peace, and the establishment of trade between the species. Civilization arose, two kingdoms formed, and friendships were cultivated. The island continent became known as Itran, after the god that delivered peace upon it.

Fifty years ago, King Conan of the elven kingdom of Rhasa, and King Kerym of the hiesen kingdom of Iduun, met at the large city of Seylia, just inside the elven border, to celebrate their sons sixteenth birthdays, as the princes were born a mere week apart. During the festivities, elven prince Killian and heisen prince Nasir both became enraptured by the elven beauty that was Maeryn. Years passed, and both princes courted the fair Maeryn. While relationships and pairings between the two species were neither unheard of, nor uncommon, Maeryn chose to marry Killian, not Nasir. This drove a wedge between the princes, but peace remained. Nasir married a nomad hiesen named Riela, but his love for Maeryn never waned. After the death of Kerym, and Nasir ascending the heisen throne, he took on an advisor, Nym, who was all too willing to provoke Nasir's jealousy. With the birth of a new heir to each kingdom, Kaine of the elves and Evindal of the hiesen, Nasir insisted on a celebration. He maintained good relations between the kingdoms, for the sake of peace, and the two young princes became good friends. However, repeated meetings with the elven royal family drove the wedge deeper into Nasir's heart. Seeing Maeryn with Killian only made the hiesen king's jealousy grow. Nym, now a deeply trusted advisor, started pouring lies and false rumours into Nasir's ears. Eventually, the wedge in the king's heart became a wedge between the kingdoms. Friendly meetups and festivals ended, tensions rose. By the time the young princes reaches the age of sixteen, war had broken out. Nasir, driven by the power hungry Nym, is determined to expand his borders, push back the forests, and take over more of Itran for his desert kingdom.

Now twenty five years of age, prince Evindal and prince Kaine are set to meet again, in the heat of battle at another border skirmish.

Last edited:
525ca031ae5a73c44aadd05873ad9db8.jpg

Evindal's battle mask
2d344b558f029a6cb81be332d5940817.jpg

Prince Evindal's upbringing was less than stellar. As a child, his days were filled with combat training, war room strategy, trade routes, and politics. His evenings were consumed by the finer arts of reading, writing, and charismatics. His evening lessons were lead by his mother Riela, and was the only time he was allowed to be alone with her. Any other time, there would be guards nearby, listening to ensure no useless fantastical tales were being told to waste his time. At night, guards stationed outside his quarters door ensured no straying from King Nasir's plan to raise the perfect wartime son. Evindal's only respite lay in the trips to the elven city of Seylia, where he got the freedom to be a normal child, running and playing with the elven prince Kaine, his only friend. When war broke out between the kingdoms, those week long trips ended. The same rumours Nym fed to Nasir had been reaching Evindal's ears for years, but the outbreak of war cemented those rumours in the young hiesen's mind. This allowed his own, more quiet rage to grow, and Evindal threw himself into his war studies, though he didn't shirk his lessons with his mother. Those were the only times he could feel as though someone cared for his wellbeing.

Evindal excelled through the ranks of his father's armies, becoming a commander at twenty four. Now, a year later, he's been sent to yet another border skirmish over a large farming district called Hollow Point. It would be a key supply point, though in previous attempts to seize it, the hiesen have always been forced to retreat. In Evindal's cocky mind, it's due to lack of good leadership, such as himself. He plans to bring them victory this time, to lay claim to this farming district.

Battle breaks out quickly. Evindal keeps the attention of his warriors on the elven soldiers and not on the elven citizenry of the various farms. Later, with victory, those same citizens would be put to work farming for Iduun, not Rhasa. Evindal's black steel greatsword, a good thirty pounds of weight, swings through the air. An unconventional weapon amidst a species that favors dual longswords and shortsword-dagger combos. His own warriors give him a wide berth, knowing him as the hiesen berserker, unafraid and unguilted by the death of any hiesen that get in the way of that heavy, deadly blade. Any elven soldiers coming close figure out quickly that failure to dodge or parry means instant death. Evindal is also unconventional in his choice of armour. Black leather overlaid with silver steel plates laid like closely placed scales across his shoulders, back, the back and sides of his legs, and the backs of his arms. The scale plates at his back extend up to protect the full circumference of his neck. Apart from a scaled breastplate and loin guard, the majority of Evindal's frontside is only protected by hardened black leather. Steel claws on all fingers are connected by chains to the wrists his his forearm armour, and steel taloned boots leave furrows in the dirt as he moves. To finish the look off, instead of a helm, Evindal fights with his long black hair tied up tight behind his head and a demonic mask on his face. Whirling again at an elven soldier approaching from behind, Evindal cleanly severs the elf's head from his shoulders.

3804eb32e3281f79de04a69c34da3f3f.jpg
Kaine couldn't understand how it came to this. War, blood shed, countless dying needlessly. It broke his heart but he didn't know what he could do to stop it apart from fight. He had grown up well, loved by his family and raised in all the necessary skills for the heir. He was trained in combat, negotiation, trade, reading, writing, music, arts...everything that a prince needed to know to manage his kingdom well. His parents had secured the best education for him, finding a tutor as soon as he showed an interest in their innate magics. They fostered that skill as much as they could, delighting when his magics seemed to flourished when he focused on nature. He spent a lot of time in Silverwood forest, hiding out there and experimenting as much as he could. He was always found, often by his mother. Maeryn would laugh as he found him, always complimenting what he had achieved before lifting her son into her arms and carrying him home. When he got older, Kaine carried his mother instead.

As far as Kaine had understood, they had a good relationship with their neighbours. They had spent lovely weeks in Seylia with the royal family of Iduun. He considered their prince, Evindal, one of his closest friends. He wasn't completely naïve. He could see some tensions, but he had believed, he had hoped, that they were just the usual tensions of two large kingdoms very close to each other. A war wasn't something he had considered. His father had been preparing though, and when war finally arrived they were ready to fight for their territory.

Now Hollow Point was under attack again and Kaine was dispatched with his men. Hollow Point was well contested for a long time, Kaine had spent a lot of time there and had fought several battles. He didn't want to fight, he wanted this to end as soon as possible. Kaine didn't know how to do that, his father said this was the best way. To protect their people for the moment until a truce could be reached.

The elves were better at stealth based combat, frontal battles weren't their forte but they had little choice when it came to battles like this. Kaine preferred his bow but used his dagger and his long sword in this battle. With grace, he moved around the battle field, slipping between fighters and quickly and quietly ending those that he could. There was no showmanship in his fighting style. He appeared beside or at the side of an enemy, and then they were on the floor with a slit throat or fatal blow to their side. He tried to be everywhere at once, protecting his men from the shadows as he flitted around the battlefield.

There was someone he couldn't save though and he gasped as he watched his friend's head hit the floor. Whoever this man was a beast. Unable to contain the rage that had been building up throughout this whole war, Kaine darted forward. Some may not have been quick enough to dodge but he was. As long as he could get close, he could end this.

Last edited:
Despite it seeming like Evindal's mask impedes his vision, the prince sees the swiftly approaching attacker. The curved red gemstones in the four eyes of the mask actually give Evindal a wider range of vision. Carrying through the previous swing of his greatsword, Evindal brings it vertically in front of his body, the tip scoring the ground in front of the charging elf's path. Right now, it's just another attacker. Just another target for his bloodied blade to feed on.

For such a large and heavy weapon, Evindal can move it very quickly. It has yet to stop moving, and the hiesen prince maintains momentum as he spins it up. The opening to his torso is less than a second, the bloodied black greatsword now swinging down with impressive force. Straight on the charging elf. Any sideways dodge attempted is thwarted by Evindal sidestepping mid downward swing to redirect the angle of his heavy blade. The elf's only choices are to throw himself backwards, or try to catch the greatsword on his lomgsword and dagger combo.

The beast saw him approach but that didn't stop Kaine. He continued to speed forwards, intent on taking out this man before he could kill any more of his friends. This was the main threat to their cause. If this man was gone, then it would weaken the other side in this battle immensely. His eyes followed the movement of the blade, keeping his straight direction for as long as he could before the great sword began it's descent towards him.

His armour was the best he could get, but it was never going to be enough to save him from this blade. He caught the blade with his dagger and sword, crossed and pushing up and away from him. It was heavy, it was difficult. He strained as he pushed with all his strength, pushing the blade away from him. As soon as he had, he wasted no time and darted again, aiming his dagger at the man's heart. He was close now, close enough that he could see the gemstones. An unusually angry urge passed through him when he saw them. He wanted to cut them out.

Evindal's attack is caught, swept away, but no doubt the elf would have sore wrists from the catch. Even the strongest elves struggle with such a heavy blow. But when the elf ducks under Evindal's blade and gets closer, time seems to slow. The hiesen prince's eyes widen behind the mask as he gets a closer look at the fine, delicate features of the elven prince Kaine.

What's really only a couple of heartbeats feels like twenty. Evindal thinks fast, releasing the grip of his blade with his left hand and wrapping his fingers around Kaine's wrist. He pushes down, so the point of the dagger glances off his chest plate, instead of sliding between the scaled armour. A brief movement of his eyes show no soldiers from either side are paying attention. With his grip on Kaine's wrist, Evindal spins and throws the elf sideways, off balance, into the open door of an empty home.

The home has already been raided, a table knocked over and chairs kicked aside. Evindal moves swiftly, turning his shoulder to slam it into Kaine's back and knock him to the floor. The hiesen prince follows him down, dropping his greatsword in favor of grabbing both wrists, trying to pin Kaine.

Kaine cursed as his wrist was grabbed and his dagger was pushed down. It might have been enough to at least slow this man down if it hit. He tried to tug his hand away but the grip was too strong. It was sore anyway, already complaining about taking the extra weight of the sword. Before he could get himself away though, he was flung through the door of a home. He hissed as he managed to catch himself, only to be knocked to the floor and pinned.

He struggled, kicking and tugging at his wrists as he was pinned. "Kill me or get off of me!" He shouted, trying to reach his arms to where his dagger had dropped to the floor. If only his magic was stronger. Whilst he was considered strong, he needed something to channel through, be it a tree or a plant. He could morph them into what he wanted but without something beside him he wasn't able to.

Evindal straddles Kaine's waist on his knees, trying to use his shins to keep the elf from kicking him. He's so accustomed to wearing his combat mask that he often forgets those not in his command don't recognize him as the hiesen prince. "Kaine, stop! It's me!" The mask muffles his voice, slightly distorting it.

Evindal growls when the elven prince keeps struggling. Somehow, he manages to get both Kaine's wrists into his right hand, pinned above his head. Then his left hand grips the chin if his mask, lifting it quickly off his face and dropping it beside Kaine's head. Sharply angled features stare down at Kaine, long black hair tied up in a tight knit behind his head. Icy blue, pale eyes meet those of the elven prince. Evindal's voice is far deeper, and slightly rough, compared to when they had last seen each other ten years ago. "It's me, Evindal."

Kaine thought he heard his name but he ignored it, continuing to struggle. If someone said his name, it was someone on the battlefield who could no longer see him flitting from hiesen to hiesen to assist his men. He only stopped when the mask dropped to the floor. From thrashing around, he went completely still. He was frozen, staring up at his old friend in shock.

"Evindal..." He breathed out, now limp underneath him. He was different now, different but he could still recognise him. "What...why are you here?" He didn't want to fight, he never wanted to fight, but now he was fighting his childhood friend. Looking up into the other's blue eyes, he couldn't fight him anymore. If he was forced to fight back to get out of here, Kaine wouldn't be able to. He was too sentimental for war.

Evindal relaxes his grip on Kaine's wrists, but doesn't release them yet. Years of training keeps him cautious, even though the elf prince was once a friend. They're in opposite sides of the war now, Evindal must be careful. "I'm commanding the attack. What are you doing here? I never thought you had the guts for war."

Evindal pauses, then sighs. "I'm going to let you go. Don't punch me." The huesen prince releases Kaine's wrists, moving off his waist. The sounds of battle still rage outside. "I can't believe you're on the front lines, not to mention fighting at all. You were always against fighting when we were kids." Evindal rubs his jaw with the back of a claw armored finger, trying to decide what to do now.

Slowly, the hold on his wrists was loosened but Kaine didn't move. He was still in shock. Of all the things he expected to see in Hollow Point, he had not expected Evindal. Of course he could be commanding the attack though. He knew that his friend had been trained to be a solider. He'd been trained to be a commander. Even as a teenager he'd been able to see the difference between their educations.

His wrists were released and he was able to sit up. He rubbed at his sore wrists and sighed. "I don't have a choice" He said, shaking his head. "I don't like fighting, I don't want to fight, but I need to help" He wasn't able to just sit in his home and watch as more and more of their people marched off to die. He was able to fight and he was good at it, he would be a failure of a prince if he just let everyone else fight for him.

"I suppose just asking you to stop the attack and leave won't work" Kaine said, grabbing his dagger and putting it back in it's place on his belt. "What will it take then?"

Evindal's blue eyes look over his friend as he sits up. He's different too, but somehow, Kaine still looks delicate. The way he moved outside is nothing to underestimate though. The elf definitely has combat training. Evindal grimaced as Kaine rubs his wrists. "I can't believe you caught my strike. Hiesen have gotten broken bones from doing that in training."

A body gets thrown against the doorframe and Evindal reacts on instinct. One hand grabs the hilt of his greatsword, the other grabs Kaine's bicep. He drags both behind the overturned table. The last thing they need is to be caught talking. When it's clear nobody is coming in, Evindal relaxes and releases Kaine. "My father isn't going to give up on Hollow Point. Even if I somehow manage to convince him not to send me for another attack, he'll send someone else. The best I can do is call a retreat right now and give you time to evacuate the village."

"It wasn't exactly easy" Kaine admitted, already knowing that he was going to be feeling the strike for a long time after this. He wouldn't be surprised if he bruised just from the force. He gasped as he was gabbed again, dragged behind the table. He rubbed his arm when he was grabbed and sighed. "Please stop dragging me around" Even if he understood why he was pulled around, he didn't like it. He could move perfectly well by himself.

"Evacuate?" He repeated, looking to the ground as he thought about the options. "We could get the civilians out but we couldn't just give it up. We would keep fighting. Like yours, my father won't give up on Hollow Point" The civilians would be removed from the fight but it would continue, the war would continue until someone was forced to give up. Hollow Point being captured would be the first part of their land that they lost, it wouldn't be an easy loss.

Evindal meets Kaine's eyes, lips pressed into a thin line. "That's the best I can do for you, Kaine. I can't give you another chance." Evindal adjusts his grip on his greatsword, peering past the table and out the doorway. He pauses, then glances back at Kaine. Meet me on the rocks of the Iran Split river, under the bridge, at midnight. For old time's sake."

Evindal darts out the door with surprising speed for his 6'3 height. He slices an elf in two to help on of his men, then releases two shrill whistles; a retreat call. His men escape their battles, turning to run from the village. Evindal shoots a parting glance to the house he left his childhood friend in before following his men across the fields to the bridge.

"What do you mean?" Kain asked, confused by what Evindal meant by 'another chance'? What chance had he given him? Was the chance not stabbing him when he saw him, regardless of the friendship they used to share? It made no sense to him. He wanted to argue, to question what was happening, but after a moment of hesitation he just nodded. He would meet with him, perhaps his questions would be answered then.

He stood at the door of the house, watching as the hiesen made their retreat. His eyes followed Evindal's figure, only brought out of himself when his men cheered at the retreat. He smiled as a couple of them came to him, giving the orders to gather their dead and return to their camp on the other side of Hollow Point. Time seemed to pass slowly after that, he retreated to his own tent and began to write his report. His father would want to know what had happened. He left out seeing Evindal.

As midnight approached, he left his men and went to the bridge. He had questions for his old friend. He'd removed his armour now and only carried his dagger. He didn't think he'd need it but there was always a chance this could be a trap. When midnight came, he was waiting underneath the bridge.

Unlike Kaine, Evindal doesn't send a report to his father. Not yet. His father is notorious for punishing bad news. Instead, he talks strategy with his battalion leaders. What can they do different? Not that the day's retreat meant the elves had won. Both sides are more or less evenly matched, but Evindal wants a faster path to victory. Hollow Point has been a disputed location for too long. Afterward, he eats a light meal and sits through the nightly prayer to the dead. The hiesen don't collect their dead. Death in battle means a return to the earth, and to disturb that death means divine punishment. Or so those of the hiesen whom are religious believe.

When midnight comes, Evindal drops down the step bank, unseen. As much as he fights like a beast, he moves without a sound. He, too, has left his armour at the hiesen camp, save for his steel clawed gauntlets and a wicked curved dagger. Evindal spots Kaine seated amidst the rocks beneath the bridge. The sound of the river should hide their voices. "I didn't actually think you'd come."

Kaine glanced around when he heard Evindal's voice, smiling as he saw him approach. "I wanted to talk" He admitted. He had wondered if this was a trap, if Evindal was planning on using his sentimental nature as a means to capture him. That would certainly give them an advantage in the war. His father would give Hollow Point if it meant getting him back, even if Kaine wouldn't agree with that decision.

"Come and sit with me, I'm sure we've got a lot to catch up on" He said, patting the stones beside him. He wouldn't bombard him with questions yet. There were many he wanted to ask. For now, he wanted to talk with his childhood friend. They'd missed each other becoming adults after all, there was probably a lot of other things they'd missed.

Evindal hesitate for only a couple of heartbeats before walking closer. Rather than sitting beside Kaine though, the hiesen prince sits on a separate rock facing the elf. Despite his seeming caution, Evibdal is quite relaxed. In the darkness beneath the bridge, his pale icy eyes seem to almost glow.

"I don't even know where to start. I'll admit I haven't really thought about our childhood at all in years." Evindal folds his clawed fingers together, the steel scraping quietly. He looks down at his hands, then back up at Kaine. "How are you? Outside the war, I mean."

Kaine wasn't offended that Evindal chose not to sit beside him, but he was a little disappointed. He'd hoped that they could have something similar to what they had before. He was far too sentimental, he should expect this to be different. If nothing else, at least he was talking with him.

"At all? I think about it all the time" Kain admitted, not ashamed to say it. It had been a happy time, and he truly could not understand how it had all changed. He ducked his head to hide his laughter at the question. It was as if they were catching up over tea, not meeting under a bridge after a battle. "Outside the war, I am well. How have you been?"

Evindal tilts his head when Kaine ducks, missing the attempt to hide laughter. His social cues are lacking, having been so restricted in his social time. He's intrigued to hear Kaine thinks about their childhood all the time. When asked how he is, Kaine just blinks before speaking.

"I'm fine, I guess. My time is taken with drills, strategy, planning. When I'm not leading drills or an attack, I'm either consulting with my father in the war room at Oln, or traveling between the oases to assess the training or other regiments." It's clear from Evindal's words that Idunn has become primarily a war nation. It doesn't sound like Evindal has time for anything else.

It was almost sad hearing what Evindal had been occupied with. He shouldn't be so focused on war, it seemed he did nothing but fight or prepare to fight. "Mother and I built a new garden in Theseluma" He said, finding it morbidly amusing how different their experiences had been. Whilst the war had gone on, his mother had been determined to keep him grounded. She didn't want him to be consumed by it, much like Evindal had been. Perhaps she was right to keep him away.

"Evindal..." Kaine started, pausing as he tried to come up with his words. He didn't want to offend or upset him. "What happened? We were always so close, this war...I don't understand it" It wasn't exactly what he wanted to ask but it was close enough.

Evindal's lips twitch, but he doesn't smile. It's been too long since the last time a real smile has graced his angular features. "A garden? Certainly seems like something you would do. I remember you always wanted to explore the gardens in Seylia." Evindal had never been one for looking at plants and flowers, but they had bee friends then, and Evindal had always made some sort of game out of Kaine's explorations.

When Kaine asks about the war, Evindal's lips press into a thin line. All the stories he'd been told of why the war happened filter through his mind. He'd been raised on them, and knew no different. "My father wages this war because of your father. King Killian stole Maeryn away from my father with elven trickery. I hold no ill will to you, nor to your mother, but I must do as my father commands. To leave a king that tricks the minds of women on the elven throne spells disaster for Itran's future." Evindal's words are spoken with the confidence of one who believes what he says. It also explains why Evindal had always been so reserved and wary around Kaine's father, King Killian.

Last edited:
"Your remember that then? Good. I do too. It was always enjoyable" Kaine said with a soft smile. Reminiscing on his childhood was always bittersweet. He enjoyed the visits with Evindal and his family. There weren't many other people his age so the days in Seylia were always looked forward to.

Kaine froze at the answer he received. It seemed ridiculous. His mother was 'stolen' by his father? Never. They loved each other deeply. He'd heard the stories of King Nasir's affections and the wedge that pushed the two kings apart, but he'd never thought it would lead to this. "My father did no such thing. She chose my father, she loves my father. There is no trickery in that" He asserted, offended on his father's behalf.

Evindal is quick to hide his scowl before it even shows on his face. But he can't place whether that scowl is directed toward Kaine, or just his words. "I don't know, Kaine. My whole life, all I've known is that King Killian took away the love of my father's life. I hear it from my father, from my mother, even from Vym, the hiesen royal advisor."

Evindal shakes his head, waving one hand through the air. "I'm not arguing. What we should be doing is figuring out what to do about Hollow Point. I must follow my father's command. But maybe we can reach an agreement. Make Hollow Point neutral ground, perhaps. Though, my father would demand a fee for neutrality. I can try to negotiate with him, sway him from attacking if there was some sort of prize. Or an influx of supplies from Hollow Point, perhaps."

"Evindal, that not..." Kaine started, wondering where these lies had come from. Was this the reason for this war? For all of this bloodshed? A lie. His mother had chosen his father because she loved him. There was no stealing, it was a free choice and his...all of those people dead because of this lie. He wasn't one for anger, but this had gotten to him. He clenched his jaw, his fingers curling into a fist on his lap.

"I could convince my father to make it neutral ground, we could come to an agreement about the supplies they produce. We would manage without as much from them" He said, taking a breath before he spoke again. "I don't want to argue, Evindal, but we do need to talk about this. The reason for this war is absurd, incorrect, wrong! People are dying for a lie. I've killed people for a lie. I won't do it anymore" His clenched fist was shaking and he took several deep breaths to calm himself. He didn't like being angry.

Back
Top Bottom