Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Canticle of Hope) Ch. 7: Cut Wood, Carry Water

Tenshi

Supernova
Chapter Seven
Cut Wood, Carry Water

Isabella had left so early for the gymnastics club that the other three girls hadn't quite gotten back yet. They had set several alarms, snuggled up in the same bed, and fallen into the blissful sleep of the victorious.

Come the dawn, they shared breakfast and strong coffee with Isa's sexy parents. Then they all headed to school together.

Ryoko glanced at the shrine they were passing on the way to Shirako University. "It's... So weird," She commented to her friends. "After all the wild things... We're just going back to school like everything is normal."

Kye walked with her sleep partners, glowing from the evenings.... exercises. "Oh please, I have no idea how I could perform without something to break the hassle and troubles of schoolwork." Kye also smiled at the shrine, dropping a small donation into the moneybox just inside the gate. "I think we need a bit of Wild after classes here." She glowed at the beauty that walked with her, Ryoko. Yes she had shared last night with all of the girls, but Ryoko had been that first passion, first need. Just thinking of the dj's lips against her own and Kye thought about ditching class.

She froze. Standing in the street, Kye smiled. She had never thought about skipping class before. She had wandered from class, and she had missed class due to distraction, and if she was honest with herself, she would see this as another distraction, but no, she was deliberately thinking of skipping not just having it happen.

Kawaii_skater_girl_by_omen2501.jpg

"Yo." Kugutsumen Minako breezed by on her ever present skateboard. She _said_ she just liked to feel the breeze when she skated, but word was already getting around that the freshmen girl was a total exhibitionist. She had neon purple hair in pigtails and wide aquamarine eyes.

Okay, so collorful hair was actually totally en vogue, but Minako didnt' wear a bra, ever. She usually had a padded bangadge wrapped a few times around her big breasts, but not enough to cover them either atop or at the bottom. She'd been seen around the town in just that and cargo pants. Right now she wore her uniform, but the blouse was unbottoned down to the naval.

Ahead of them she jumped her skateboard and road it backwards to give them a wave. (It was hard to bow on a skateboard, even for Minako!) "Ohaiyo, senpai!" she called, "isn't it a beautiful morning?

"Hmm?" Hitomi, distracted, glanced up from her tablet as she someone new was addressing them - she'd vaguely followed Kye and Ryoko's conversation, but hadn't volunteered much beyond an agreeing nod. The reading that had so engrossed her attention while she walked was still on screen - a page on some half-forgotten website purporting to be tracking ninja sightings in Tokyo throughout the years. Of course 99% of it was almost certainly complete nonsense, but there was always that slim chance someone had seen something real...

She blinked behind her glasses as she took in the skateboarder, recognising her from the University (the hair was hard to miss) but not really knowing much else about her. "Oh, um, it is a good morning, isn't it?" She replied, glancing around as if just noticing for the first time. Between all the different things that had happened the previous night, the kitsune had a bit on her mind. "Good morning, kohai." She bowed in greeting, falling back on formality.

b2388c745a5c85df91c01c578522f402.jpg
Kinoshita Yumena," the black squirrel said, "It's a pleasure to finally meet you." The squirrel was perched on the side of the tree on the tree stump on the Shirako University grounds, where Yumena was waiting for class. No one else had noticed, but she wasn't exactly close to anyone. It wasn't a quite voice, or a piping voice. Not what one would expect a squirrel to sound like. It...

Honestly reminded her of those Three Tenors who had been such a big deal when her parents were young.

The squirrel cocked his head at her. "I know that look in your face. I know what it means, too, though it's into hard. A talking squirrel is hardly the strangest thing you've seen in the last few days."

It was true. Yume had won a bracelet at the raffle at the shrine on the first day of class. The prize had been a pair of sterling silver writing tablets on a silver chain. Everyone thought they were the Ten Commandments from Levitical Law, but she somehow knew they were writing tablets and symbolized Calliope, the Greek Muse of Epic Poetry and Eloquence.

View attachment 8491

Then there were those perverted green martians trying to rape the girl next door. She tried to help her friend with only a wooden shinai, and was about to join her in being the victim of the perverted martians, but she called upon Calliope to inspire her, turned into a magic girl, and cut them to bits with an electric katana.

So, well....

Yeah, a talking squirrel didn't seem quite so strange...

"umm yeah. im Yumena... how did you know... and... how can you talk..." she didnt get up from the stump. part of her wanted to. part of her wanted to walk away form all thsi but... she needed answers right now. any maybe this squirrel had them... what a crazy thought.

she was in her school uniform, the long stockings, the short skirt, and cute top. she had wanted to bring the shinai with her but resitsed the urge. instead she just kept working the two metal charms between her fingers.

fMb4gryqEgceuo2Zou3fDhvsYkL8vho8D79qkPvkH8dSeJsVS28r5Y_dM7sMAJecjp5YBeZKSVbIqGrTWrXkAFONhkxJZ1piUWS8seXaFKnts2jE0TppEMxfe66Najm9YiPZiV6p

The squirrel sat up. "Please accept my apology for not finding you sooner, Yumena-san," He gave a slight bow of his head. "My name is Orpheus. The Gods of Olympus have charged Eurydice and I with guiding you in the use of the talismans the nine muses created to inspire mortal maidens and magic girls. I'm greatly relieved that you've gotten this far on your own. I'd like to introduce you to some of the others this morning."

Neko Violin.jpg Broken from her reverie by Minato's salutation, she waved enthusiastically at the skater. "Ohayou, kohai. Care to stroll with us? Its' a nice day I agree." Kye resumed walking, her pace fun. her violin case in hand and her bangles bouncing. Her corset was around her uniform today and she could not help but twirl her skirt till it flared as she walked.

"there are more of... me? us?" the dog girl asked. her ears twitching a little. "what have they been doing? have they been fighting... things... too?"

"Yes, Yumena-san," Orpheus replied gravely. "Harvesters are the legions of the Mandrake Devil. Emaciated green plant-men with large black eyes. They are able both to fight for their mother and plant the seed of more like them in the womb of an innocent girl. Devil Barons are her centurions and generals. More human looking and intelligent than harvesters with many different powers.

"You've faced them, yes? The harvesters at least? The arate of your muse has given you the strength to face them and triumph."

Kawaii_skater_girl_by_omen2501.jpg

"Oh, may I?" Minako asked, smiling brightly. "I'd like that a lot, thank you." She kicked up her skateboard and tucked it under her arm. Then she waited for them to catch up and fell in with them.

Ryoko gave teh purple haired girl a smile and a bow. "Plesed to meet you, Minako-san. I'm Ryoko, if you didn't know."

The younger girl tilted her head and dimpled, "I know, senpai. I've danced to your mixes on youtube."

"Oh!" The tenshi girl gave a bounce and a clap, "oh, really? Do you like them?"

"A lot!"

"yes. i had to take care of a few of them last night. they where so scary. so strong. but.. yes... something called out to me and i was about to beat them back... with a sword.." she shakes her head "You wouldnt belive me... well... maybe you would... your talking to me after all" it still all felt surreal and her mind was still trying to wrap around it all

Hitomi clicked off her tablet as they moved towards Minako, and stowed it regretfully in her satchel alongside her sketchbook and other supplies. She could always continue her research later, she supposed; she certainly didn't need to be answering any of the curious questions that might arise if the young skateboarder caught sight of what she was reading!

As they catch up with her, Minako's exchange with Ryoko brings a small smile to Hitomi's face. It seemed the tenshi had a fan! The kitsune mostly stayed quiet, herself, content to let the other two girls carry the conversation; she just introduced herself softly. "I'm Jin Hitomi, a Fine Arts student. It's nice to meet you."

Kye was so glad that the skater chick had stopped. She liked friends and was warmed as their group grew. "I have to remember to..." her words drift off as she joins the others, their walk taking them up the street to school. She danced, the music in her head taking her along the path, up onto the fence rail she spun for several yards, before stepping off the three foot elevation to gracefully scamper alongside them. The concerto in her head awaited a thousand voices, yet they all had their time. Some of the voices have moved on, she wondered if any would return, yet there were such wonderful harmonies set in the air about them. It was nice.

The squirrel straightened. He seemed to smile. He even seemed proud. "Your charm bracelet taps you into the power of the Muse Calliope, a goddess from Greece. She inspired you. That's what Muses do. you breathe them in and they fill you with excelence. Thanks to that bracelet, you are inspired with more than artistic grace. You are inspired with the strength and magic to protect the world."

The wolf girl nodded. "i see... i... i think i understand" she stood up. "you said there are more like me? can you take me to them?"

The black squrirel noded and pointed at foru girls coming through the school gates--a human with a skateboard, a tenshi with red hair and dove gray wings, a kitsune, and a nekomimi jamming out to an unheard symphony. "There," he explained. "not the skater, though. Wait 'til she's left to bring it up."

she approached the group. slowly. she had seen some of them around before but she didnt remember talking to any of them. she hoped they where nice. but... if they where like her then they should be. the Muses wouldnt pick mean girls... right? she got a few dozen feet away from the girls and waited. she didnt want the "skater" to hear what she had to say.

she didnt want too many people to know she talked to animals...

Oh, Kye was into it now, the concert was in full swing. She followed the tympani, her beat, her heart, the rise of brass and violin, allowing her to soar! Rhythm held by french horn and clarinet, even the mighty cello bearing its weight, her world was music again, all was right. Even the unfamiliar and quiet electric guitar, very Trans-Siberian. Then the pregnant rest, her eyes flew open, as she sought the next chord. There across the grass, a gorgeous dog-girl stood, hesitantly before a tree and neighboring tree stump. She saw the one that had interrupted her piece, and it was a joy. Bounding high, she spread her arms wide and with a squeal of glee, she ran forward.

Right past the girl.

With a bound, she dashed right into the tree with the squirrel. "Hey there, Cutie," she snatched Orpheus up to cuddle the squirrel, she looked about for Eurydice, "I bet you have news for us." She spoke quietly in baby tones as she pet the squirrel close to her. Her volume was low as she spoke to the animal, but she had made a big enough spectacle climbing the tree, and her short skirt, was not covering all it was meant to from up here. Bright pink panties with musical notes were visible, her bracelet with Euterpe's pipes quite visible as well as she scratched Orpheus.

Having introduced herself, Hitomi largely lapsed back into silence for the rest of their journey. She offered the occasional polite nod or murmur of interest whenever the conversation turned her way, but other than that, wasn't really paying attention as Minako and Ryoko got to know each other. Her thoughts were still tied up in the night before, replaying events in her mind; meeting a kunoichi, and all the things her existence implied, the fight with Shade... Kohaku's grin, and everything that happened after Shade's demise...

At least, until Kye's sudden squeal broke through her distraction.

"Hmm? Ah! K-Kobiashi-san!" The kitsune rose a hand as if to try and stop her friend but, as usual, she was far too late; Kye was already halfway up the tree. The flustered kitsune hesitated for a moment, her face growing pink on Kye's behalf as the musical notes came into sight, before turning to offer an apologetic bow to their company. "Um, sorry, excuse me!"

And with that Hitomi took off after her friend, likewise running right past the onlooking wolf girl, to stand at the base of the tree and call up in a strangled whisper, "Kye-chan! Your skirt! It's... it's not tree-friendly!"

She was acutely aware of the attention they were drawing...

Yumena braced herself as the girl ran up to her, putting her hands up to try and block the rush. she stood there frozen for a moment before realizing what had happened. she looked up at the girl in the tree, then down at the other girl. then back up.

"does... does this happen a lot?" she whispered softly to no one in particular.

Orpheus chuckled softly and snuggled into Kye's cleavage.

Minako dropped her skateboard, hopped onto it, and rolled around the scene, dancing a little. There was a good deal of laughter, and lots of eyes on Kye--both hungry and just smirking.

A grey winged redhead met Yumena's eyes and she smiled. "Kye has her own view of the world, and her own priorities."

Kye looked down from her perch, nuzzling the little squirrel with her cheek. "Oh, kk. Coming down." Cuddling the little squirrel, she springs from the branch, landing lightly and allowing her skirt to float down and settle. "Hey, who's your friend? You're gorgeous, are you now one of our friends? It's ok, squirrels don't bite if you treat them right." She didn't know how much to say around this girl, but was all about the secret. Orpheus hadn't given away that he could talk, she wouldn't. "Don't you have a class with one of my girls? Ich heist Kobiashi Kye. Call me Kye."

it took a moment for Yumena to process everything but it seemed everyone here was friendly enough. "its good to meet you Kye. and yes... we have a common friend in... Orpheus?" she said still a little hesitant. she just didnt want to come out and say a talking squirrel led her here.

"Yay!" Kye exulted. "Orpheus and Eurydice are great friends." Kye looped her arms into Yumena's elbow. "We are going to be such great friends. I compose music, what do you like to do?" Kye had noticed that she did not have a name for the girl, but wasn't too concerned. Names were only one type of designation. Ky hoped that they would get along, though she was familiar with the adage about 'cats and dogs' enough, and she hadn't really gotten along with another wolf-girl... but Orpheus had brought her here, and she was a magic-girl. They would do fine. "You really must come over after school, we have got to get to know each other. I mean, sword, axe, bow, mace, ice, fire, song! Oh, it is going to be so wonderful! If we are lucky we might even catch a ninja...errr flick." Kye had noticed the way her thoughts and words had strayed and tried to cover it up as she looked to see if anyone was paying attention. "Yeah, a movie night would work."

Back
Top Bottom