Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Coming Storm (Zaila & Alvis)

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
It had been a long and bloody war, one that had claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands in the headlong charge towards the domination of the region. The Empress leaned back, trying to relax in her throne, and keep the thought of how many had been slain in the last push to claim the final city that had opposed her rule. And now, her legions had been largely broken down, and the soldiers allowed to return home. Her empire now controlled a huge swathe of territory, cities numbering in the hundreds, and a population that numbered in the tens of millions. Great tracks of forests, fields, and mountains dotted her land, and she had even managed to gain control of a portion of the great desert, and the great city within, Gol Lorhain. She let her eyes close a moment, before the booming sound of the great doors that kept her throne room sealed swinging wide open snapped her to attention. A ragged, worn out messenger was approaching her dais. She stood, and he dropped to a knee.
“Rise messenger. What word do you bring?” She asked. The man shakily rose to his feet, clearly exhausted beyond measure.
“They are coming Empress. From the North West. The Panron Dominae. A host beyond counting. It is as if they emptied the very land itself of people, and have sent them all towards us.” He panted out. The Empress felt her blood run cold a moment, before fury grew within her.
“Then we shall meet them! Summon my generals! Assemble the legions! We will confront this threat head on!”
“But Empress...the Legions were only just disbanded. I do not know how many we can assemble in time.”
“We will summon all we can. Bring in the reserves, send out the garrisons. Assemble the full might of my Empire, and prepare to defend it with blood and steel.”

“It's confirmed then? The attack is moving into the Empire?” Arclivia asked his aide. The smaller man nodded to his commander.
“Yes sir. The council has approved of the hiring of our legion, and placed you in charge of defence.” He said, his high voice grating on the nerves of those around him.
“Then make sure everyone knows their business. Recruit all we can. And shore the defences up as much as we can. Have the scouts out, and bring word the moment the horde starts to make for here. Gol Lorhain must not fall.”
“Yes sir.” The man scurried off, heading out to convey the given orders. Arclivia leaned on the stone rail of the balcony he stood on. It offered a commanding view of the city. Gol Lorhain was known as the shining jewel of the desert, and it was a central trading hub. Thousands of merchants flocked here, bringing vast amounts of wealth to the city. Unfortunately, the wealth ended in the hands of the nobles, and not the peasantry. This led a massively corrupt city, incapable of maintaining anything the resembled a proper army. Now, with the invasion on the rise, the largest city on the border land made for a tempting target. So, Arclivia had led his mercenary legion in, and made their offer. The city had first baulked at the thought of the incredible cost of hiring them, until they had heard the special circumstances of the legion. One and all, dedicated to Ulric, the god of war, wolves, and winter, they would never turn back from the fight. Now, they were setting themselves to defend a city only conquered by the Empire not a decade ago. Arclivia only prayed to Ulric that they had repaired the city wall.

The heavy leather armour settled onto his shoulders. Thick enough to turn aside any but the most determined sword blow, it was heavy, but not nearly as much so as the heavier plating that the heavy infantry, the Urdomen, had to wear. Elrane pulled the gauntlets on, and buckled on his sword belt. He was a captain of the medium infantry, the Bekalites, and he was to lead them in advance of the main force of the army. He stepped from his tent, and forcibly averted his eyes from the camps of the Tenescowri, the vast peasant army that accompanied them. They were sprawled out in their hundreds of thousands, covering the ground like a layer of ash on a field. While they were a reason that the Panron Dominae had expanded as well as it had, but they disgusted him all the same. He was a soldier, a man of arms, and he saw the purpose and honour of being a soldier fighting for the glory of his people. The Tenescowri were driven by a singular force, and their mannerism horrified him. He shook himself off, and walked to the front of his column. Sixty men waited for him. They would drive hard and fast, hitting any outlying villages. They would return with any spoils, and rejoin the main army as it advanced. The column moved out.

BrokenHearted_by_Drakenborg.jpg

Ananya had been born blind, but this didn't mean the girl's life was spent in darkness. You see, the majority of the time when someone is born with the total obliteration of a sense, they acquire a new more...extra sensory gift. Ananya was blessed with such a gift which, given the company, could also be a curse. She had perfected this gift to make her into what she is today, a truth-seer. While the name isn't exactly applicable in the literal sense, she still, in effect, "sees" when people lie. The world around the girl is akin to her being a bat and having echo location. While she doesn't emit a high pitched sound to bounce the images back, her brain still perceives her surroundings in the same manor.

Everything is in black and white. Things lighter in color tend to run through the grey spectrum while darker colors fall into the darker greys and blacks, as is commonly known. Here is where things get different for the girl though because, aside from seeing the world in this black and white appearance, she can see colors as well. Now, these aren't colors like people are used to seeing; they are aural colors. People emit them when they are nervous, happy, excited, frightened, no matter what emotion the person is feeling, these colors are emanated.

Ananya can only see the colors that are presented when someone's nervous, particularly when they've said something and lied about it. The color she sees also pertains to that person's alignment and the severity of the lie. Seeing colors on the light side of the spectrum means the person's of good alignment and is only making a small lie and most likely doesn't lie frequently. The darker colors mean the people are of dark or evil alignment and probably lie on a daily basis since their occupation could possibly tinge on being a spy or an infiltrator of an enemy sect. This is why it can also be a curse. Imagine talking to people, not being able to see their facial features, and seeing that they're lying directly to you! It's been hard on the girl and has made it nearly impossible for her to have people she calls "friends." The ones she -does- have know of her gift rather well and are very careful as to what they say around her because, even if one doesn't think it, one lies several times in one day to just keep up in conversation or to be civil and societal even.

The news of the battles in the outlying towns had people fussing over the girl's safety. She was a sweetheart, never hurt anyone, and generally liked by most of her community. But, she was also a ward in that she had a coveted gift which could definitely be dangerous for her, and the whole of the village, were she to fall into the wrong hands. Fearing that the battle groups had heard of Ananya and her rare gift, they settled her into the basement of one of the elders' houses. They prayed that if the group came through the town, and searched the house, they would dismiss the basement thinking there was nothing but belongings down there. It was only a small group that had offered to do this for her since she was like a daughter to a couple and had helped the others with different situations. They believed they owed it to her.

Unfortunately, not everyone in the town shared this sentiment, but they kept their traitorous thoughts to themselves and made sure to steer clear of the truth-seer else she'd see their true intentions. They had heard of the wars happening, and while they were small, or so they thought, they figured the girl was a precious commodity and would fetch a pretty penny if sold off to some group of brigands. Now the group had only to wait until this invasion happened, their thoughts running rampant with what would be done with the money since they were expecting some grand reward.

The column drew to a halt, Elrane crouching far from the village, and dropping to a knee. His Second came forward.
"They're ready sir. The whole column is prepped for the attack." The man said quietly. Elrane nodded, and lifted the iron helm he wore. It was set in with silver, and intricate swirls of lapis lazuli, marking him as an officer in the Bekalites. He settled it onto his head, adn stood, turning to his men.
"Fill your hands with swords. Kill them all. Though perhaps save a few for the Tenescowri. To help keep them in line." He amended his orders. Slow nods were offered. Elrane drew out eh steel blade at his hip. Long, slender, and made of pale steel, it glinted in the twilight. He turned, and the company fanned out into a ragged double line. They started to trot forward, grins coming t faces at the thought of the slaughter to come. They were within a decent run of the village when an alarm bell was being rung frantically, their approach finally spotted.

The bell jarred Cuttle from his sleep. He was on his feet, looking out the window in a moment. He'd not been born with the name Cuttle, but he, like everyone who entered the legion, was given a name to use while in the service. After eight years of service, he didn't know to answer to anything else. Now, after barely a week of living in the viallage he'd called home, he was being called to fight again, this time to defend his home. With a growl, he threw the chets open at the foot of his bed, and reached in. He'd served in the heavy infantry, and would show these attackers the full force of his training. He pulled out he steel plates of his armour, and began to get himself ready.

Shard was out of his door barely a minute after the bell had started ringing. Serving as light infantry before returning, his gear was far faster to equip. He saw the leader of the village trying to calm people, and organize them as villagers fled in every direction, but Shard knew it was no good. It was going to be down to every man for themselves. He drew out his short blade, adn ran to meet the enemy coming in. Screams of pain told him they were already starting to kill.

The alarm bell... It rang within the girl's head as she cowered beneath the covers, knowing what the bell meant. Those groups invading the outlying towns had made it into hers... The townspeople weren't exactly sure if it was one big group or a bunch of smaller groups, but either way they weren't prepared. Their infantry was small and down in numbers because of a recent plague that had run through the city killing off a lot of young boys which brought the draft rate way down. The older boys and fathers that remained took up arms and rushed out of their houses.

Meanwhile, in the basement, Annabelle was trying to calm the now quivering Ananya, a comforting hand brushing along her form through the comforter shielding her. Annabelle was a sweet, old woman. The kind that every girl loved and every boy did errands and favors for. She had one of those soothing voices and, even though she couldn't see it, Ananya always imagined there was a smile on her features, creasing the wrinkles of wisdom she was sure decorated the woman's face. "I know...I know," she said softly, finally pulling the covers off of her and putting her arms over them, staring into the wall on the other side of the bed. There were no windows since it was the basement and the only way to get out from the little room was on a drop-down staircase built into the ceiling with a trap door.

"What if they find me? Everyone here knows who I am, what I can do, and they treat me like a normal person despite it. If I'm taken by them they'll use me... Imagine having a little tattle-tale of your very own. You would always know who was plotting against you, who was planning to kill you or overthrow you." She shivered and ducked her head down, the woman wrapping and arm around her small frame and holding her close. "You hush now. Ain't no one gonna come get you. Not while Annabelle Maye's around, you hear?" Ananya looked up smiling and nodded before wrapping her arms around the woman's portly yet soft frame. "You'll protect me right? You and Earle and everyone?" The woman nodded, she felt it by her shoulder, and whispered into her ear. "You're like my own daughter. Ain't no one gonna touch ya."

Elrane rammed his balde into the stomach of a man, before kicking him off the blade. It wasn't a battle, it was a massacre. Villagers were running everywhere, and the Bekalites wasted no time in slaughtering them where they stood. Elrane saw a severed head fly past him, but the head was armoured like one of his men. He snarled as he saw what looked like a member of the legion moving through the scattered masses, killing where he could. The man was dressed lightly, but was cursedly fast, darting in and out of engagements, and leading an ever growing number of his people on. Elrane swung a blow, and that blow took the ear off of a man. He shrieked, adn fell to his knees.
"Please! Wait!" He shrieked. Elrane sneered, and raised his sword. "Spare me! I'll take you to the most valuble thing we have in the village!" Elrane smiled.
"Show me."

Cuttle stood as his door exploded inwards from a heavy axe blow. Bekalite charged in, but halted as they saw Cuttle. He was a large man, over six feet tall, and easily over three hundred pounds. His form bristled with muscle mass, and was plated in the heavy armour of the shock troops from the Legion. Cuttle gave a roar,and charged, using his hweavy shield to barge through the packed men, laying them down. His long sword slashed exposed throats, and he settled one of them down with a boot to the throat, crunching down to the spine. There was a lot of work to be done tonight.

Elrane let the man lead him to a building.
"Int the basement. She's down there. A seer!" He announced. Elrane grinned. A prize indeed.
"Well then. What use are you then?" He asked. The man blanched, and stumbled back a step. Elrane kicked him, knocking him down, and sinking the tip of his blade into the tender muscle of the stomach. The man started to shriek, but Elrane simply slid the blade a little hihgher, slowly opeing a gash in him. He pulled the blade back,adn swiftly made two cuts, crippling the mans knees. "You will come with us. And you will meet, the Tenescowri." The look of fear in the man told Elrane that he had heard at least part of the rumours. He kicked the door in, and stepped into the house. "Seer! Show yourself!" He bellowed.

Ananya felt safe within the elderly woman's arms, but she knew once the siege had reached her hideaway, the woman wouldn't have the strength to protect her. Still, for that moment, in the silence afforded it, she felt like nothing could touch her and fingers instinctually pressed tighter into the woman as if to meld into her, to take as much of the safety as she could.

"Stay calm now, Ananya. Ain't no one gonna touch ya." She rocked the girl as if she were a little child and, despite being nineteen, she revelled in it and curled up into a tiny ball on the woman's lap, nestling against her ample chest. "They're coming. I can feel it..." Now, this isn't to say she has the sense of knowing when danger's approaching, but it was more that gut feeling someone gets in moments of pure terror. That feeling that lets them know something bad was going to happen and that feeling was ravaging the girl from head to toe, tensing her muscles and causing her to wince slightly. Annabelle sensed the change in attitude and hugged the girl tighter, shushing softly like a mother would to calm her baby.

Moments ticked by...Moments that had the girl's mind reeling with fear for when that dreadful event would come that they came looking for her. Finally it did. Hearing that voice caused her entire body to run cold, mouth going dry as she looked up into Annabelle's featureless face, tears running down the girl's cheeks as the woman slipped from her. "You go hide in the closet now. I don't wanna hear a peep out of ya. Annabelle's gonna protect ya." Ananya knew arguing was no use and, if she objected, the woman would just put her in there herself. So, reluctantly, the girl slid from the bed and hurried over to the closet door, opening it and shutting herself in. She listened close at the door for the noises outside of it and the one noise she knew was inevitable...Annabelle's shrill scream before her life was taken. She couldn't let the woman die on account of her. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she allowed that to happen so, in a rush of movement, the girl ran from the closet and hugged Annabelle around the waist.

"Hide in the closet. If I surrender myself they won't come looking for me and they won't find you. You can slip out once the siege is over. I can't bear to have you killed because of me. They won't hurt me. They need me." Tears soaked the woman's flower print dress, the woman's tears dropping onto the top of Ananya's head. "Alright. I can see there's no arguing with ya. Go on now." Ananya smiled and leaned up to kiss the woman's cheek before pulling the drop down staircase from the floor. With heavy and forced steps she walked up the stairs, stopping once she reached the main floor and just standing there, fingers folded at her waist.

"I'll go quietly..." Even though she couldn't see the man's features, his height and figure alone were enough to tell her that he was quite the imposing soldier. She could see the silhouettes of his weapons holstered at his hips, one of which was smeared in a dark grey liquid, blood. She shivered and whimpered softly, fearing what her life was going to be like after this point.

Shard watched as the dor to Ananya's home was kicked in. He charged forward, swinging a blow that opened the neck of a man trying to stop him. The blow carried his sword too far away for a blow on the man in the doorway, but he tucked in his shoulder, and slammed into him. He rolled off, coming to a stand.

Elrane smiled at the seer, but it was not a smile that held any mirth. He was jarred forward by a shouhlder, and went sprawling onto the floor. He rolled to his back, adn climbed to his feet, seeing that he'd been hit by someone who looked to be light infantry from the Legion. he grinned, and attacked.

Shard parried desperately. he'd left the same time as Cuttle, and hadn't seen Ananya in nearly a decade. But he knew she was a sweet girl, and deserved the chance to escape.
"Go! Run! Get out of here!" He shouted at her. Elrane was easily the better swordsman, and also had reach, weight, and power on his side. Shard was alive solely based on his speed, but he knew it was likely not going to be enough. sparks flew as he parried another heavy blow. Elrane was using his larger blade to keep Shard from making any kind of offensive move.

Ananya had forgotten about Shard, but she was happy to step off to the side as the man went charging by her. He was bigger, stronger, and better with a sword than she could ever hope to be, so she had no qualms about letting the man fight. Jumping back when the man sprawled out before her, she looked past him to see the source, smiling into the face of Cuttle who was now parrying with the armored guard.

She didn't need the order repeated, her legs springing to life as if his words did it on their own. Running from the house, she looked back only to make sure the men were alright before racing into the city. Everywhere she looked she saw blood, silhouettes of people littering the city street. All around her were screams and pleas for mercy, shrill sounds echoing through her head before, one by one, they were abruptly cut off. Death hung in the ear, the stench of it stinging her nostrils as she continued running. Her legs burned, but she knew she couldn't stop. Unfortunately, she managed to land herself in a group of adrenaline-driven soldiers, their auras flaring, all black. Apparently they'd been lying to all the women they slaughtered. She froze, her leg muscles betraying her as the men smiled, grinning at their silver-haired prize.

"What's up with your eyes eh? Look at 'em. They're all milky." Ananya blushed and stepped back only to bump into the chestplate of another soldier. She wheeled around, whimpering to see three more men flank his sides. She was completely surrounded and no one in the city would hear her if she screamed. "You reckon she can see us?" She growled and wheeled around to the one that said it, looking him straight in his expressionless face. "Yes, I can see you, all of you." She tried to be tough, but her fear was making that an impossibility, her voice shaking with each word. The men moved in, all of them grinning in unison, only one thing on their minds...carnal pleasure.

Shard dodged a blow, and swung, his blade socring a hit on the breastplate of his foe, but only managed to score a crease in the leather. He dove to the floor, and rolled, coming to his feet as Elrane turned, grabbing a chair, and flinging it at the smaller man. Shard dodged, but was caught off guard when Elrane charged him. Three blows rained down, each harder than the last, and Sahrd felt his arm going nu,b by the last one. He tired a dodge, but was battered back into line by a swinging arm. Elrane slammed his sword into Shard, punching through his kidney. Shard cried out, adn Elrane kicked him off the blade.
"Not bad for a Legionaire." He sneered. Shard was consumed by waves of pain, and didn't respond.

Cuttle barged forward, his bulk knocking his foes aside.
"Mornin' boys!" he bellowed, slamming into a mass of troops. He saw a flash of silver hair as Ananya was fleeing. Swearing, he looked around, seeing several buildings burning now. The village was going to burn, and now there was nothing he could do about it. That left salvaging what he could. He saw that a few other viallagers were fleeing towards the roads, likely hoping to make to the next village. He swore again, louder, and took off in the direction Ananya had been going. He might be able to find her, and maybe get her out. The last thing he needed was for these bastards get a hold of her.

A Bekalite snatched out a hand, getting a handfull of silver hair, yanking it backwards to pull Anaya off balnce. Others all laughed, and grinned widely.
"Then you'll be able to see us when we give you one last gift before you get to meet the Tenescowri." One said sweetly.

Whatever was occurring back at the house Ananya was oblivious to and, really, her mind didn't even travel to the thought of it since all her attention was on the circle of soldiers that she had, unfortunately, found herself directly in the middle of. She could hear all their hearts beating faster and faster, the one behind her more rapid than the others which meant he'd be the first to try something. Before she could turn around, a hand rushed out and found purpose in her silver tresses, yanking it backward to arch her back painfully.

Despite not wanting to, and knowing in doing so she was sealing her fate, she kneeled, unable to take the pain of her back being bent in two practically. These men wouldn't show her compassion so, if she didn't kneel, he'd simply keep pulling on her hair until she did, or he ripped some out. Either one would work for the male. She whimpered, bringing a hand to where his was tangled, fingers scratching it to try and loosen the grip.

The man howled in pain and loosened, but only slightly, his anger flaring now. "That was a mistake wench.." His words were said through clenched teeth, she could tell by the tone. She needed to do something..and fast. Her arm wound back and struck true to the middle of his legs, punching as hard as she could. That did it... The grip loosened entirely and the man fell back clutching his manhood. Ananya scrambled to a stand and ran as fast as her legs could carry her, orders of "Get that fucking wench!" bellowed behind her.

Not for the first time in his life, Cuttle cursed the weight of his heavy armour. Without it, he could run flat out for three hours. With it, he was lucky o manage half an hour. Regardless, he saw a circle of men, and they were breaking up to follow a flash of silver. Ananya was fast on her feet, but he doubted she'd have the endurance to outrun these soldiers. he pushed himself a little harder, and came close to the slowest of the soldiers, taking a sweep with his sword, and tagging the man in the ankle. He saw the leg go out from under him, the hamstring severed. Cuttle stomped down as he went by, the strength in his leg aided by the weight of the steel boot on his foot, crunching down, breaking the skull of the man.

Elrane swore as he saw much of the village in flames. He snagged a passing Bekalite.
"A silver haired girl? Where did she go?" He asked. The soldier pointed, and then coninued on, throwing a torch onto the thatch roof of the house that Ananya had called home. It would be ablaze in no time. Elrane cursed himself for being to occupied with a fight to keep an eye on the seer, and cursed Shard for being good enough to keep him busy. He was heading in the direction indicated, and only hoped his men would both catch her, adn not kill her, or damage her overly badly.

One of the Bekalites follwing Ananya was fumbling with a weapon he'd brought for just such an occasion. Three clay balls connected by smooth cord, the bolas was optimal for bringing down running targets. He wound it over his head, gave the needed spins to get power in it, and tossed it.

The girl was running on pure adrenaline now, her muscles pumping, now numbed from the pain and hardly felt as she raced further and further from the soldiers. She'd managed to get far enough away that her surroundings consisted only of smoking buildings and slain villagers. The screams behind her were advancing though which meant the main soldier, Elrane, had realized she'd escaped. Her reprieve wouldn't last long it seemed...

Something clipped the back of her ankles and wound around them, pinning them together and causing her to fall flat forward, arms extending to break her fall which caused her to sprain her wrist from the sudden impact. She whimpered and pulled the offended wrist to her chest, before righting herself again, pulling into a sitting position and looking down at the bolas wrapped around her feet. With a sprained wrist, it was rather difficult to undo the twists in the balls and get the cord away from her ankles. After a few moments she was still struggling with it and opted for sliding on her rear all the way back until she'd slipped into the dark space between two of the houses, leaning against it where she went back to trying to get the things off.

Cuttle grabbed the back of another soldietr, adn pulled him back onto the blade of his sword, before pushing the blade out to the side, letting momentum slide it free. Gods, he'd thought that this was over, that he could live a long, happy life in peace in the village, spending his days trainign the militia, and raising a family of children. Now, his home was in flames, and people he'd grown up with wre being slaughtered all around him. But there was a foe before him, a sword in his hand, and breath in his body. Time enough to mourn it all later.

Starting to be a little out of breath, the remaining soliders looked around, seeing the drag marks on the ground, and advancing on where they knew they'd find a certain person snared with a bolas.
"Hello wench." One of them drawled out. It was the last thing he said, since Cuttle came up behind him, and took a wide swing that cut his head cleanly in half from the ears up. The others turned in surprise, taking a second to take in the angry looking heavy trooper. Cuttle crashed the edge of his shield into the face of another one, and the crunch of breaking bone announced a dying man. Cuttle felt a blade ring off his arm plating, and repaid the blow with a riposte that split the man open. Blood arced in the air, spraying his shield, but Cuttle was more focussed on the last of the soldiers.

Ananya was still struggling with the bolas when she heard a voice from the side of her, shoulders bristling as a cold shiver coursed through her. Gulping, she looked up into the grey, featureless face of the soldier. Fearing the worst, she simply stared, screaming out softly when the man's head was cleaved in half. One of his own men wouldn't have done it, so she knew it was someone actually -on- her side.

Within moments of seeing the way he handled a sword, she knew it was Cuttle, her heart reaching out for him and his valiance in protecting her. The poor man was retired, battle-fatigued and was entirely sure he was done with all this. She felt a pang of guilt course through her knowing he was fighting to save her at that moment. He was willing to put his life on the line for her... She had nothing to give. She had no military knowledge, no battle knowledge, and no weapons. She was defenseless and could only watch in horror as man after man was slain, blood arcing into the air before splashing onto the ground near her, some even splattering onto her dress and face. She shrieked and backed up further into the darkness, fingers going back to their previous task of trying to undo the bolas. Cuttle would be dead soon...she knew it...and she didn't want to be in a little corner when the soldiers came for her.

Another trio of men charged towards Cuttle. The big man actually grinned at them as they came, and slammed his sword off of his shield.
"Come on! You want to play with Cuttle? I'll take all you motherfuckers on!" He roared, setting his legs as he'd been trained, adn stepping forward, shield leading. The smaller man charging him folded into the shield, and fell, Cuttle jabbing out under the shield, sword ripping through his stomach, spilling his innards out. He left him like that, screaming, and trying to hold himself in. His shield swept up, slamming into the bottom of a jaw, snapping it shut hard enough to shatter teeth. The man slumped unconcious, and the last soldiers swallowed before turning to flee. Cuttle stomped on his leg, snapping the shin, adn taking his head off as the man folded.

Elrane watched as three of his men died in less than half a minute. The man fighting was good, brilliantly so. And he had no Urdomen to counter him, no Tenescowri to overwhelm him. It would have to be through simple force of arms. He stepped up, and swung. Cuttle laughed, slamming the sweord aside with a shiled blow, adn counter attacking. Elrane was already moving, the blow not coming anywhere near connecting, and he stabbed out. The blow jammed between the plates on Cuttle's leg, sinking in a few inches. The big man grunted in acknowledgement, adn bulled forward. Elrane had to retreat a few paces, and block a heavy blow. This man was a different sort of fighter than the last, and he figured how he'd beat him.

She resisted the urge to scream again when another three men joined the fray, Cuttle easily dispensing of two of them, but the third she didn't see. The coward probably fled. She inwardly laughed at the image of the fleeing soldier she was concocting in her mind, a smile widening on her features. Cuttle was doing a brilliant job of protecting her and giving her ample time to get the bolas off. Her wrist was killing her at this point, but she was determined and refused to give the sprain time to heal.

One ball done! A rush of hope filled through her giving her renewed strength, fingers working quickly and insistently at the cords now. However, the complete shadow covering what light was pouring into the hole she'd dragged herself to had her looking up, her chest tightening with complete terror. She recognized the imposing figure without even having to hear it speak... It was the soldier from the house and now he was fighting Cuttle! The poor man was going to die, she was sure of it, and she needed to let him know that she appreciated his help.

Hearing the grunt she knew the man had been hurt and it was only a matter of moments before his body joined the many slain ones throughout the city. Taking a deep breath and exhaling, she turned and spoke, pushing herself forward a little with her fingers in the dirt. "Stop! Don't hurt him... I'll go." Cuttle turned to glare at the girl, both for her stupidity and the interruption of the battle he was actually sort of having fun with. She didn't see the glare, but she could feel tension between her and her friend. "I can't let you die because of me..." Though now she was debating on whether she should have revealed herself or not. After all, everyone was either dead or captured... Did she really want to give him a life all alone? But it was too late... Now whatever happened was up to Elrane and that thought terrified her the most out of anything she'd experienced this day.

The split second that Cuttle looked away was exactly what Elrane had been waiting for. He sent his sword out, hilt leading, and it crashed headlong into the bigger man's face. Cuttle staggered back a step, but ELrane hammered in with a second, and then thrid blow. The big man went down, the world going black.
Dammit! I was careless! Cuttle thought as he finally passed out. Elrane turned to her.
"Bargain struck then seer. He lives, and you come with us." He agreed, willing to make such a concession. He raised a hand, and two soldiers came to him. "Take her. And mostly undamaged." He warned as he saw the light in their eyes. That light faded instantly, and they each grabbed an arm, pulling Ananya to her feet. Elrane reached out, and slit the cords off of the bolas, dropping it to the ground, freeing her. There were lurid bruises on her legs from the taughtnes of the cords, but she would live, adn be all right eventually.
"Back to the main force sir?" His second asked. The an had a swathe of bandages on his face, and it looked as though he was missing an eye.
"Yes. What happened to your face?"
"Shovel sir. Blindsided me."
"Fine. Move out, leave this place to burn." The remaining Bekalites gathered, and moved off. nearly two doen villagers wre herded with them. Cuttle was left where he ley on the ground.

Ananya's eyes widened when she saw the hilt slam into Cuttle's face. The man stumbled back, trying to right himself, but Elrane gave him no such luxury, two more blows quickly delivered which knocked the man out. She watched as he collapsed to the ground, alive still thankfully, but he would be in pain when he awoke. Hearing the man's words, she felt her heart sink, but at least she'd saved her friend. Of course it wasn't looking probable that she'd be returning to thank him.

She crawled out more from the hole and gulped as two more men joined him, both reaching down and easily plucking her from the ground. Her feet were steadied after a moment which allowed her to stand, a breath of relief escaping when she felt the cords being cut. Her ankles were still very sore and hurt as she was being carted off, but she doubted any pleading for mercy would do anything.

So, she went, not saying a word as she was pretty much dragged by the men from the village.

It was less than an hour before Cuttle groaned, waking up to a hot feeling around him. His eyes snapped open, remembering. The viallage was burning, but he saw someone trying to drag themselves toward him. He managed to kneel, and crawl towards the,.
"Shard?" He asked when he got close.
"Cuttle. Shit. I found...you." The smaller man managed to agsp out. Cuttle noticed to blood on his friends stomach.
"Shard, dammit, lemme see, I'll patch you up, and-"
"Shut it Cuttle. It's mortal, I know it. Look...they..got Ananya. Took her...with them." Cuttle hung his head.
"I know. I tried to save her, Shard, but she gave herself up."
"Sounds...like her. Sweet kid...not the sharpest sometimes...but..." He trailed off, gasping at the pain in his guts.
"Shard, shut up and let me help."
"Cuttle...got...to get her back. I'm done for here. But...she's not yet. They...knew what she was. They won't kill her. But you need to find help. Long run. But Gol Lorhain...has people. The hunt camp in the woods...has a few horses. Give you a head start. Now go. Get help. get her back. Stay...stay alive Cuttle." Shard curled into a ball, and his breathing started to slow.
"Shard, you bastard stay with me! We didn't fight that whole mob of Scalandri in the west for you to go and die in this shit hole!"
"Died...for something. Helping...Ananya. Helping...anyone." Shard murmered, and held something shakily out to Cuttle. The man knew what it was without looking, just from the feel. Marker tags. "Remember me. And...make sure my eyes are closed. Creepy otherwise." Shard chuckled a moment, before giving a racking cough, and a long slow gasp that Cuttle knew all to well. A death rattle. He squeezed his hand into a tight fist around the tag. He'd get her back all right. And kill every single one of those Panron bastards with his bare hands if he had to.

The main army had advanced, so it took less than an hour to reach the camp. The mob of the Tenescowri eyed all of the prisoners. Elrane called a halt. He looked to the man who had told him where to find Ananya.
"This man told me where to find the seer, thinking to trade her life for his own. I despise traitors. Give him to the Tenescowri." He pronounced.
"No! No! Please! Don't!" He screamed as he was pushed into the mass of people. he screamed as they siezed him, and dragged him away. One of them stod with a screech of triumph, holding the man's knee cap.
"Take her to the central camp. The general will want to meet her." Elrane said, nodding towards Ananya.

Ananya thought about the men now, Shard and Cuttle, two of the sweetest guys she'd ever met. Shard was always quick to do favors for her, put down a jacket over a puddle, and get her out of a bad situation. The girl was pretty sure the guy liked her, but now she'd never get a chance to say she liked him as well...

Her head hung low as the men continued to carry her, their fingers digging into her skin and sure to leave purple marks where they'd been once she was released. At least she'd proved to the men that she wouldn't go down without a fight. She'd torn up one guy's hand and hopefully damaged his reproductive system as well with the punch she'd given.

Confusion etched her features when Elrane called a halt, the mens' fingers grasping her even tighter since they were no longer moving. They were listening with rapt attention to their commander, and so was she, hoping they were halting because they ran into an enemy group and, therefore, an ally of hers. However, the news she heard still managed to gladden her. Now she knew why they'd found her... The man had squealed to save his own ass! "How selfish can you be?!" she cried out, thrashing against the grips on her arms. "You were willing to sell me out to save yourself....You're nothing but a coward!" Of course she yelled this as the man was being pushed into the rest of the people to be given to the Tenescowri, a screech emitting from the throng a couple moments later which she tipped her head towards to investigate. The figure the man held wasn't easily discernable, but judging from the amount of dark grey liquid on it she was sure it had come from -inside- the man. Now she felt for horrible for being happy about this guy's fate, but...it couldn't be helped now.

Fear-filled eyes darted to the commander when he spoke, her spine stiffening... If this guy wasn't the general then the leader of these men had to be even more cruel and ruthless than he was! Tears started streaming down her cheeks as the men carted her off.

Cuttle found his sword, and sheathed it, his strength returning as he moved around. He seethed inside his mind. He would get help, ride in, and get Ananya back. Then likely try and knock some sense into her addled brain. But that was for later. He set Shard's body onto the top of a low building, and set it ablaze. A fitting burial for him.
"If we do not see another day,
Let them sya this over the pyre.
We died the Imperial way,
With our face to the fire." He closed his eyes as he finished speaking the last rites of a Legionaire, and turned away from his friend. he had work to do. He set out from the burning village, and made his way to the hunt camp. Sure enough, a few horses were there, and a few bags of provisions, just as there always was. He saddled a horse, and set another up as a pack animal. He swung onto teh mount, and tied the lead line for the pack horse to his saddle horn. He kicked the horses into gear. He'd need all the help he could get. A legion post, or failing that, he'd ride right to Gol Lorhain or help. It was a vow.

Ananya was thrust into a tent so large it looked more like a palace of cloth than anything simply made for sleeping out of doors. Elrane was right behind her. He prodded her forward, through a few rooms, before they reached a wide open space. A few dozen men stood at rapt attention, wearing the heavy armour of the Urdomen, heavy infantry, and they all looked on at the two visitors. A throne had been set up, and on sat the general. He was not overly tall, but was built so solidly, he looked like a walking mass of muscle. His head was carefully shaved, and his hands were bedecked with rings.
"What have you brought me captain?" he asked. His voice was low, deep enough it seemed to vibrate the air around people tangibly. On each side of him, his personal guards stood. Each of them were above six feet in height, and nearly as wide at the shoulder as Ananya was tall. Heavy plated armour covered them, and they carried large, sweepingly curved swords, looking like a weapon that could split a man in half with no effort at all. Seerdominae, the very best of the army, each of them swearing an oath of eternal loyalty to the Panron Dominae, adn protecting their charges with their lives if needed.

"We discovered one who is claimed to be a seer of truths. Even should she prove false, I felt this should be tested for you sir. She could be invaluble." Elrane said plainly.
"Quite so. And should she fail to be a seer of truths, then she will be punished for wasting my time. The Seerdominae have gorwn bored. A barracks woman to please them should rememdy that. For a few days at least, until they have worn her completely dry." The general sounded calm as he spoke, as though he were simply discussing the weather, not if he was willing to condemn a young woman to be raped to death over the course of a few days. "So then girl. What do you see in me?"

The general... That man was always depicted as someone that always had battle and strategy on his mind. She wouldn't be seen as the scared girl she was, but merely a pawn in his rise to victory over the other legions. This fact wrenched her gut and threatened to spill the contents of the modest breakfast she'd had that day. It was hard to believe that it was only breakfast she'd eaten and didn't feel hungry... With the combination of the ordeal and the events though, she was beginning to feel fatigued, her energy reserves almost used up completely.

She stumbled when she was thrust into the tent, lips parting in an expression of silent awe at the grandeur of the place. This wasn't a tent, it was...a palace, well as far as tents were concerned. This thing had rooms and partitions, it was huge! She felt the prodding at her back and shuffled forward before the prodding stopped, her black and white map affording a variety of images. There were men gathered that were seeking audience with the general, bodyguards that flanked his sides, and the general himself, poised like some kind of king. The sight caused her stomach to churn even more, a little bit of bile rising into her mouth.

Hearing the question, her entire body stiffened, knowing once the captain revealed what she was her fate would be sealed. Already she could see the thick black, fiery aura that surrounded just about every man in this room, but they weren't saying anything, so she didn't know what they'd lied about. To hear the general talk so nonchalantly about her life, as if it were nothing more than killing a bothersome fly, it made her whimper softly, a sound that only increased in volume when he made reference to giving her to the Seerdominae. Most likely vile soldiers like the ones that were raping the women in her village. He was only giving her one chance to prove her gift, so she stepped forward, her entire body shaking which made her words shaky as well as she spoke. "Y-you....you lie. All...the time. Your a-aura is...thick and b-black meaning you h-have lied for years..." She swallowed and dropped her eyes, taking in a deep breath and waiting for the general's decree. Part of her wished for death... At least it would spare her from the torture she was sure would be coming.

The General laughed aloud, th sound booming in the air.
"Ah, so precious. Look to me now girl. Do I lie when I say I will take great joy in your death? Or do I lie when I asy I'll ensure harm does not visit upon you? Or is it a lie when I say you will be given to the Tenescowri?" The general asked. It was in his mind that she would be able to see past anything he stated. She would not be given to the Tenescowri, not until she was completely used up, either her gift rendered useless, or she proved to not have it, adn was given to the men. But she would be there eventually. And it was true, he would enjoy seeing her die, as he enjoyed the death of anyone from these lands. But it was also true that until that time came, he would see her protected. All were true.

Cuttle rode at a canter, not wanting to exhaust the horses too quickly. with this pace, he'd reach the next village before dawn, and be able to warn them of the coming foe. The Panron Dominae was coming, and it came in a tide. His mind raced as to try and think of ways to get help without having to make the weeks long journrey to Gol Lorhain. Whatever was goign to happen to Ananya would have long since happened by then. He needed time, and he knew he didn't have it. His teeth ground together in frustration. Would that he had his legion beside him, they'd have stormed in, adn brought her back safe, and likely carved the Panron army up so badly it would never really recover from it. He shook himself. As long as he was dreaming, he might as well wish for the mercenary legion, the Wolves of Ulric, or the aid of a thousand of the ancient warriors, the Exclesia. They were all just as likely.
"Ulric...if you listen to me...grant Ananya the strength to endure this until I come for her. And Shallya, Mistress of Mercy, turn your gaze to her now, in this time of greatest need." he prayed fervently, meaning it for one of the only times in his life.

That laugh echoed through her bones, booming through her body and head which was tipped up at his order. She paid close attention for spikes in the aura since his was always present. It was a constant, thick cloud that shrouded the man. At the statement of taking great joy in her death, no spike, and she visibly stiffened and gulped before turning her attention to the other statements. Ensuring harm wouldn't visit her, slight spike, which meant he was telling the truth, but he wasn't sure it would stay that way for long. Giving her to the Tenescowri, again a slight spike, which caused her heart to hammer against her ribcage, chest tightening painfully.

She tried to find her breath again before speaking. "The first...was not a lie. You will find great joy in my death. The second...also not a lie, but you...you are not sure it will remain truth for long since my s-safety depends directly on...my ability. The third...also truth, but also falls into the same category as the second. You will give me to the Tenescowri as soon..." she trailed off, her voice cracking with the beginning of tears, "as soon as I'm of no use."

No one around her could read minds, so she found solace in the fact that she could inwardly pray to Shallya and Ulric, the woman for mercy, the man for strength, both of which she desperately needed at this time since she felt like she would crumble into a heap of bawling cowardice soon.

The general nodded very slowly.
"Well played girl. Well played indeed. Elrane. Step forward to hear my orders, and your reward." He announced. Elrane did so without hesitation. "Your orders. Protect this woman. She is worth a very great deal. You are released from command until such a time as I deem it." Elrane felt his heart sink. From a Bekalite captain, to nothing more than a glorified babysitter. If this was a reward, it sickened him utterly. "And your reward. This girl. She is now yours to do with as you please, provided she reamin useful to us as a seer." Elrane showed no emotion.
"Yes sir. Thank you sir." He replied, mechanically.
"You may go." Elrane turned, adn roguhly pulled Ananya around, and led her out. He was not pleased.

Cuttle stopped at a well, drawing water for the horses. He needed them fresh, and caring for them gave him something to occupy his time. As long as he could do that, he could not think about how he'd ultimately failed Shard, and failed to protect Ananya. And now she was taken, and would have her gift twisted, and defaced. He wrung ihs hand along the handle of the bucket he had used to carry water. He flung it at the well, slintering it.
"Son of a bitch!" He shouted. He was a man of action, and helplessness did not sit well with him.

Back
Top Bottom