Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Coming Storm (Zaila & Alvis)

Afraid was an understatement when it came to how Ananya felt about the general. Her gaze flicked up when something two-tone in grey scale waved through the corner of her vision, eyes landing on the slender rod with the gemstone accents. Immediately her muscles tensed, her throat going dry as she took a step back, fingers moving to the sheathe where the dagger was held. She could stab him right here... Stab him and then stab Elrane and run for her life. They were already moving from the camp which meant she could run and not bump into a group of soldiers like she'd done in the city. Or...at least she hoped she didn't. Fingers unlatched the dagger from its sheathe and held it out in a threatening manner before rushing forward with it, the dagger aiming straight for his heart.

When the dagger cleared the sheathe, it was like a grey haze was lifted. Light rushed in, banishing the darkness of the outlines, and threw everything into stark, bright, detailed relief. The world was visible as others would have seen it, but did not remove her view of the auras.

Elrane saw her move, sawt the dagger coming free, and started moving. Unfortunately for her, so did the hidden Seerdominae behind the throne. Great sweeping blades came in, cocked for a blow. The general quickly, but nonchalantly reached out, adn grasped his own sword, bringing it around, setting it up to allow her own momentum to impale her. Elrane was more direct. A balled fist shot out, aiming for her temple, and cracking in hard enough to make it seem as if the world had exploded into violent light. A second blow came in between her shoulder blades, to send her to the floor.

Distraction hit the moment she unsheathed that dagger for, at that very moment, she could see everything...in color. The auras were still visible, but not everything was greyscale like she was used to. For that brief period she'd actually lost track of whatever she was doing, enthralled instead with the sudden spectrum of colors she'd been gifted. It was beautiful... Absolutely beautiful, awe-inspiring even. Movement from behind the throne brought her back to reality and what she was doing, brandishing the dagger threateningly to the SeerDominae that were coming at her now for having threatened their general. The blade came closer, but she had to move her position so as to avoid being decapitated by the general's broadsword. Unfortunately, this left her open for Elrane's next attack and the hit to her temple was a solid success

A white hot pain exploded within her mind before blackness encroached on it, body wavering as lids closed, meaning to shift her into unconsciousness. She was just about there when Elrane dealt the second blow between her shoulder blades which succeeded in setting her flat on the ground and completely knocked out, for now at least. No telling how long she'd be out or what precautions the men would take while she -was- knocked out to ensure something like that didn't occur again.

"Catagorically handled Captain. Now then, what shall we do with her?" The general asked, looking at her, cocking his head to the side. Elrane looked at her, recalling his earlier warning. Consequences to her had to be severe, else the General may start to question his convictions. He smiled slightly.
"Fetch to me a shair. One with arms on it. And also rope. Then send for a lentgth of wire from the smith." He answered. The general frowned.
"I am unsure as to what you plan Captain." He waved for a Seerdominae to get to it, and within a few minutes, the rope and chair had been provided. Elrane hauled Ananya into into it, quickly securing her to it, her arms tied firmly down. He left her hand un touched. As he stood from his work, the wire arrived. "Shall I summon some of the men? I am sure they would enjoy a little quality time with her in this state."
"No need sir. This is a lesson she'll never forget. Summon also a small length of hot iron. The width of a finger."
"Easily done." As the iron was brought in, complete with a small set of coals to keep it hot, Elrane has wrapped her smallest finger in wire, down at the base. He twisted it tight, and then sat back a little.
"When she wakes, which should not be overly long, we shall begin." The general only smiled, despite not comprehending what was coming.

The world around the seer was nothing but blackness, unconsciousness having enveloped her and held tight within its imprisonment while the men spoke. She was completely unaware of what was being said, or what was being done, and therefore offered no resistance as Elrane lifted her into the chair and secured her. Limp arms were easily tied down, her head hanging lifeless from the induced sleep. By the time he was twisting the wire around her finger, she was starting to slip back into the waking world, lids fluttering before a groan escaped her as a pain in her temples became evident.

It took a couple moments for her to get her bearings which also brought the realization that she was tied down. Her eyes widened as she fought against the restraints and glanced down at the wire around her finger, brows furrowing in confusion as to its purpose. Fear gripped her and caused her to whimper softly as she continued to try and break free from the binds. "I'm sorry..." she whispered, seeing that both the captain and the general were now watching her intently. She'd tried to kill the general... He wouldn't dispose of her because she was still useful, but she knew she wouldn't be allowed to escape this without suffering some sort of torture. He needed to teach a lesson... "I wasn't thinking. Please, Sir, it won't happen again. Just let me go..." She knew it was pointless to beg, but she had to try something... If only to stall them at least.

Her gaze shifted over to Elrane which made her wish she could see facial expressions. He was standing so straight, so regal, she shuddered to think he was grinning with sadistic glee towards the situation and what he had in store. A wince contorted her features which caused her to glance down at the wire, her finger moving up and down from the arm of the chair. The wire was tight and already she could see the energy level depleting in the area of the finger above it.

"A lesson is to be learned here Seer. I do not blame people for mistakes they make. But I do insist they pay for them." Elrane said quietly. His voice dropped to nearly whisper, quiet enough that only she would hear. "I am sorry that you must learn this lesson. But learn it you must." He gripped the wire, and started to twist. The bnad tightened on the finger, cinching painfully tight. He kept going, not planning to make this anything besides buisness. He could have taken it far slower, sadistically dragging it out, but he didn't. Against many, he would have, but the Seer had made a grave error, nothing more. The finger nearly glowed bright red frim the tension on it, and the blood vessles trying desperately to exchange blood. He flexed one of his hands, knowing the pain would be likely more than she'd ever felt. He kept tightening. A vessel in her finger broke, the red stain of bruise spreading across it, as the blood in it vented quickly into the more open area, the digit turning a dark, ugly purple. With a final twist, and a pull, the finger came free, blood spouting from the area. Elrane wasted no time, using tongs to grab the length of hot iron, and press it to the wond, sealing it shut. He once agian kept it swift, and buisnesslike, not trying to use the hot metal to torment her, simply doing what needed to be done. A distant part of his mind rebelled at what he'd done, but by now, that voice was little more than a whisper.

Why had she gone after the general? What stupid hope did she have in her head that the attack would actually work and would herald no consequences?! Inwardly she was berating herself for being so foolhardy and controlled by her emotions for that brief point in time. It was a period that succeeded in getting her tied to a chair with a wire twisted around her pinkie, which she still wasn't sure as to the purpose of.

Her entire body tightened to a painful degree when the captain started speaking, her mouth going dry to his whispered words, lids closing as she fought back the urge to scream and quell her overwhelming fear. The wire was twisted and instantly she felt pain. She pressed her lips together tightly in an effort to keep from screaming, but after only a couple seconds that became impossible and her lips burst apart, a pained and agony-ridden scream ripping from her lungs. About a second after this was committed, the finger popped off, eyes widening in shock to the stump that was now where her finger used to be. Another scream accompanied the hot iron pressed to the wound, cauterizing it and preventing it from bleeding out. At least he was caring in that aspect...

Tears had spilled from her eyes at some point, she wasn't sure when, but her cheeks were stained with the salty liquid, some tracks dry and some tracks still moist. Still shocked from the ordeal, she remained silent, eyes averted from both the general and the captain. She had absolutely no one she could turn to, no one to cry to, no one that would console her... The realization of this made the tears come again, pooling down her cheeks now as she bent slightly in the chair, wrists pushing against the ropes that held them down.

The genera chuckled, as though seeing her go through such a thing was all good sport.
"Excellently done Captain! I may not have ever thought of that. I trust she will have learned a good deal from this?" He asked. Elrane nodded woodenly.
"Yes general, she will have. What would you have me do with her now?" He asked.
"Move her seat to beside my throne. When she has regained her mind, perhaps we shall speak with her." Elrane and a Seerdominae lifted the chair, and carrired it, half senseless Seer and all, over to the dias, setting the whole works down, and stepping back. The whispers in Elrane's mind were still there, but he could set them aside easily enough now. It was not time for pity. It was a time for following his general's orders. No matter what they were. "When she has regained her senses, perhaps we will have the food set out."

The world was numb around her. She heard the words being exchanged between the general and the captain, but none of it registered. Everything was melding together in a huge maelstrom of confusion, fear, hopelessness, and defeat. She was in a palanquin, tied to a chair, missing a finger, and probably going to be raped by the general and the captain would just stand by and let it happen. Elrane -was- someone she could trust, but the man would always be a soldier, guided only by his orders and nothing more. A tool for the general's sadistic wants and desires.

Fingers tightened on the arm of the chair when it was suddenly lifted, realization sweeping over her and feeling as if someone had poured ice cold water directly on top of her head. The icy feeling spread through her veins and culminated in her throat, freezing her lungs and making them sting as she tried to draw in a breath. Still silent, and unable to resist, she was placed next to the general's throne, eyes dropped to the floor where they stared at the carpet blankly. Already she could feel her spirit breaking and it was a feeling that terrified her knowing she could do nothing to stop the progress. If she didn't fight back in at least some way, she would lose herself... More tears came, sliding down her cheek and dropping down onto the dress she wore, soaking the collar since they all gathered there. She couldn't let this ordeal be the one that broke her. She had to be strong...She had to wade this thing out until Cuttle came to rescue her.

The general rose.
"I shall see what the state of our entertainment is." He said calmly, and departed, his pair of Seerdominae following. Elrane knew that he was alone in the room with Ananya, and crouched beside her.
"Seer. Does anything of your mind still remain?" He asked. he knew that her fate was tied to this answer. The general might be willing to give her a little time to get over things, but not much. If she proved to be rendered useless, than she would be of no further value. Despite everything, Elrane still did not want her to be left in such a situation. Though not a warrior, he felt she deserved a better end to her life than simply being offered to the Seerdominae as a toy, or worse, to Anaster for whatever the First Child of the Dead Seed had in mind for her. He gently lifted the true killer dagger from the ground, and slid it carefully back into it's wrist sheathe. She had chosen a very poor move, but it was only to be expected really, as thrown off as she was by this whole experience.

Cuttle took a few deep breaths.
"Who's next?" He asked the host as calmly as he could muster.
"Human. You have struck a blow to our brother." One of the Excelsia said, stepping forward. Unlike the others, he carried no weapon, and his furs were somehow still mostly whole. Bead fetishes hung from him, and cuttle swallowed. He was likely a shaman of sorts.
"And what of it? I didn't sart this fight, but byUlric's fangs, I'll keep it going as long as I have to." The Exclesia raised a withered hand, adn Cuttle heard a clinking sound. The wounded warrior stood, the fractured bone mended. Cuttle didn't bother to hide his dismay.
"One hundred thousand years human. That is how long we have been at war. How long we have been hunting our foes. Can you even comprehend this?" Cuttle thought a moment.
"No, not really." The shamn showed no reaction, but kept speaking.
"A wise answer for one so young. I am Yan Soldat, First Bonecaster to the tribe of the Winter Moon."
"Cuttle, Sargeant, eighth squad, seventh legion of the Imperial Army. Nice to meet you."

The words sounded distant; lost in the maelstrom that her mind had become. She hardly heard the general's words before he departed to the back of the palanquin and only snapped back to reality when Elrane's voice was heard beside her. Instantly she bristled, whimpering softly and recoiling to the side to try and pull away from him, not getting very far since she was still tied down. It was quite clear that the ordeal had a very severe effect on the woman's mind. Frightened eyes shifted over toward him, locking onto the expressionless face as she nodded softly, speaking in low tones so the general didn't hear.

"I won't let myself break. I have to stay strong...I have to keep my spirit alive if I ever have a hope of surviving through this." She turned from him and glanced down to the ground. "I think the general is happy that I fought back...That I'm not just sitting idly by and accepting my fate. However, the moment I stop fighting and just give in, I think, will be the moment he decides to end my life on this plane." The general was sadistic, this much she knew, and that meant he got his jollies off of watching others squirm. If she allowed herself to be broken completely she'd be nothing but a complacent robot that did everything he commanded without question. No...the general was someone that liked a challenge and while she detested playing into the sadistic desires of the man, she knew it was mandatory if she wanted to survive.

She shifted in the chair and winced a bit, glancing down at the dull, grey ropes that had her arms cinched down. They were starting to bite into her skin, the course pieces making the underlying skin raw as she moved within them. "Could you...loosen these? They're cutting off my circulation. My fingers are getting tingly." It was true. If he cared to look down he'd see that her fingers were getting slightly pink as opposed to the normal peach hue of her skin.

"I wil do one better for you Seer." Elrane promised, drawing out a knife, and drawing it across the ropes, the tough hemp fibers parting like paper under his movement. He removed the ruined cords, and cast them aside. "Feeling should retuen to normal in a short time." He told her, economically cutting through the ropes that kept her secured to the chair. "Try to avoid the...newly vacated area of your hand. It will do nothing but promote further pain. And I fear that you will have to face enough of that without aiding it." He stood from where he'd crouched to cut her legs free. "Move as you will, provided you do not try and flee the palanquin."

Hearing he'd do one better confused her at first, but his meaning became clear when he drew the knife along the ropes, freeing her arms, but her legs were still secured. Still, it felt wonderful to be rid of the bothersome ropes and allowed at least some movement now. He instructed her to avoid the area that now held the absence of her pinkie finger and she nodded to show she comprehended as he crouched down to release her legs. His last words caused her entire body to tense, eyes settling onto his crouched form, her throat going dry. He had basically told her that the general would cause her pain no matter what she did. She could listen to everything he told her and obey without question yet still be punished.

"I understand," she said finally before moving from the chair and walking to the other side of the little throne room within the palanquin. It felt good to be able to stretch her legs again since she'd been tied down for what had to be an hour by this point. A wince contorted her features as she glanced down to her fingers. She couldn't see the blood rushing toward them, but she could tell the energy level was starting to rise.

It burned to have the blood rushing back, but she'd rather that than the cold, numb feeling she'd experienced before when the ropes were still securing her. Looking past the captain to make sure the general wasn't coming back, she brought her attention back to Elrane. "I forgive you." The words were hard to say and she felt sick for saying them, but she couldn't hold Elrane responsible for doing nothing but obeying orders.

Elrane froze in mid stride as she finished speaking. Forgiveness. How long had it been since someone offered that to him, and more importantly, offered it freely, and honestly? He wasn't sure he could even remember the event any longer. He didn't face her.
"Thank you. I don't deserve that from you. But thank you." He said quietly. He didn't fully trust himself to face her yet, so kept his eyes tracking along the walls, making sure that no one could enter without him noticing.

"You show much composure in the face of our host Cuttle." Yan observed. Cuttle shrugged.
"Yeah, well, I served with a detatchment of your kind back in the campaign. Nothing personal, but something about you guys creeps me all to hell, but then, you were a damn fine unit to fight beside. So, Bonecaster, what brings you into this region? Still hunting the remnants of the Jalren?" The big man asked. Yan nodded ever so slightly.
"Some of the barrows in this region contain Jalren bound in wards. They are to be killed."
"Ulric's fangs, what is it that they did that made your kind hunt and kill them for a hundred millenia?"

Ananya settled into a chair on the other side of the palanquin, relishing the time she had free of the general's frightening form. Seeing Elrane freeze mid-stride to her words was, at the least, comforting. It meant she could still tug at the man's heart and, perhaps, she still had a friend amongst all these enemies despite what he'd done. Ears strained to hear his words, lips curling into a small smile of satisfaction as she nodded. "You're welcome," she replied just as quietly, making sure the general stayed oblivious to the captain's momentary lack of stoicism a soldier was always supposed to exhibit.

A quick glance behind the captain revealed the general was still tied up seeing about the "entertainment." That would buy them a few more minutes at least and a few minutes in which she could relax, at least a little bit. As she looked around the palanquin, her mind wandered, thinking on the fate of William after he had been handed off to the SeerDominae. Another thought replaced that one, one that she hadn't remembered until that point. First Child of the Dead Seed... That was what Elrane had called Anaster. A name like that definitely didn't hold innocent connotations and she was starting to wonder what exactly it meant. Teeth bit into her lip nervously as she flicked her gaze towards Elrane's silhouette. "What does 'First Child of the Dead Seed' mean? And why did you refer to Anaster as that title?" While it made it harder for Cuttle to rescue her now that she was mobile, she was slightly relieved to realize that, in doing that, it kept her far away from both William and Anaster.

Elrane squeezed his eyes shut, not inclined to think overmuch on the subject of Anaster. But then, it would hurt nothing by telling her.
"I called him that, since it was the title he was given by the Lord of Panron. His mother-" He started, but an all too familiar voice cut him off.
"My mother, was, and is one of the Tenescowri. Descending upon the battlefield after the blood was done being shed, she mounted a corpse, not yet cold. And she as blessed with me." Anaster said in a hissing voice. The wiry man grinned ferally at Ananya, and then swung his gaze back to Elrane.
"Remove yourself from my sight. Else I rob you of your eyes." The captain warned, hand going to his dagger.
"I am summoned here by the General. And his word defeats yours, Captain. I do think I am to join you for the meal."

"We were slaves once soldier. For many generations, we knew nothing of freedom, as they claimed to be our gods. When we at last pierced their lies, we rose up, and fought them. So many died in those wars, until we wre at last halted in our advance by a great ritual of power. Regions were sheated in ice, isolating us. To continue the war, we became as you see us." The Bonecaster said in a deadpan tone.
"Wow. That is a rough run. But how is it important to you being here? If you don't mind, I'll just head away now. My people are being attacked by the Panron Domin, so I've things to do."
"Panron DOmin. Do these words have relevance in your tongue?"
"No. Why, I thought it was a language from their country."
"It is not human. It is Jalren."

The aura around Elrane flared slightly revealing that her question had elicited a tense reaction and he definitely didn't want to reflect on whatever answer came as a result of her inquiry. Still, he managed to overcome his momentary lapse of control and started to tell what it was the title meant. However...he didn't get to finish it and the voice that -did- sent a bone chilling shiver through Ananya's entire body. Why was he here?! Why, knowing that Elrane was the best at caring for her, would the general summon him?! Her heart hammered against her chest as she wheeled her milky gaze toward the creepy man. His visage was right in line with hers, and while she couldn't see facial expressions, his aura was clue enough that whatever the expression was, it wasn't innocent in nature.

"You..." she whispered, ducking behind Elrane as if to use him as a shield. Thankfully, the captain still held her care in the highest regard and he wouldn't let Anaster anywhere near her as long as he was standing. Unfortunately, hearing that the general himself requested that Anaster join them was something Elrane just had to accept. The general was a hard man and didn't take disrespect lightly. Knowing Elrane could possibly be given to the Tenescowri for his insolence, she accepted the cruel twist of fate and tipped her chin up defiantly toward Anaster before spitting in his direction and glaring.

Fingers clutched tightly to the back of Elrane's shirt; a silent clue as to how much the first child of the dead seed actually scared her. That name....The reason behind the name...It was sickening. His mother had fornicated with a corpse and she'd done it willingly! The thought made her stomach roil and twist in painful knots, the muscles threatening to expel its contents with every passing second. They would have to dine with the vile man and, no doubt, the general would sit her directly in between the two...Or maybe not. The general wasn't aware of just how unsettled the man made her, so perhaps, if she played it off well enough, she could manage to avoid having him as a partner at the table, or any time in the future for that matter.

"I see my other guest has arrived." The general said quietly. Elrane hadn't removed his hand fromm his dagger hilt.
"Yes. It seems as such sir." He replied.
"Good. We will have a brief entertainment later. But food will be served shortly." As he spoke, a group of servants were carrying a heavy table into the main room of the palanquin. "But until then. Captain, I am considering detatching a force to act as a flanking army. Only soldiers, not Tenescowri. I was considering sedning Captian Shaldroc to command. What is the opinion of him in the ranks?" Elrane was quiet, knowing that this was another opportunity he should have been given.
"A hard man. But a fair one. He will make a fine leader." The general nodded.
"Excellent. Now then. This campaign is to be concluded in three weeks."
"That's impossible sir. The Se-" He caught himself in mid sentance. "The Lord asks the impossible."
"Then you may inform him of that when he arrives here." Elrane felt his guts run to ice.
"He is coming here?"
"To assume direct command, yes. And to meet this Seer you have acquired. He is most interested in her."

Ananya was interested in what this entertainment was the general kept referring to and she inwardly prayed that it didn't involve her in any way. The general started speaking to Elrane as soon as he returned and touched on the subject of enlisting another captain to command a flanking army he wished to discharge. It was another opportunity lost to him because of his position as her caretaker and she knew that coupled with the coldness he had recently been showing her, it wasn't the best time to be defiant, especially in the presence of the general. The decision had been made to enlist Captain Shaldroc, but that wasn't what seized up every muscle within the girl's body. It was the news that came next...

The arrival of the Lord and the fact that he was interested in her. While she was well aware it was her ability he was interested in, she couldn't shake the feeling that his intentions didn't rely only on that and hearing that he would be taking over command was only a bigger expansion of these thoughts. "No..." she whispered, ducking behind the captain as if that would somehow hide her from the arrival of the lord.

Her head ducked out from behind Elrane, her gaze meeting the general's. "When you say...interested, what do you mean? In my gift or..." she grimaced, "something else?" It was a possibility that the general would simply laugh at her question, give one of those sadistic smiles, and simply remain silent, but she was banking on the fact that he liked to see her squirm. He delighted in knowing he was tormenting her in some way so perhaps if the news was twisted and vile enough he would find it amusing to deliver it and see her reaction.

"I would not pretend to know the mind of the Lord of Panron. Were I capable of his abilities, I would have sought to replace him long ago. Alas, I cannot, and you will be forced to wait until he arrives to know what he intends for you Seer. For all we are aware, he may simply disapprove of your gift, and place your head on a pike for al to see. We shalt not know until the moment arrives." The general said plainly.
"Since her value decreases sharply as he arrives." Anaster added.
"True."
"At that point, perhaps the Lord may turn her over to my care."
"Doubtful Anaster. Do you not have other concerns? Such as your Tenescowri?" Erlane challenged. Anaster opened his mouth to reply when the general raised a hand.
"I'll not have this bickering. Know that well. So. I see our meal has arrived. Take your seats." Trays of food were being set out for the diners, each one looking more succlent than the last. Pheasant, boar, venison, whole vegetables roasted and stuffed. It was a meal fit for kings.

Ananya knew the general was a hardened and cruel man, but the nonchalant way he spoke of her possibly having her head put on a pike sent shivers up her spine. Would the lord really do that? Then again...why would he come all the way here from his stronghold to see her if it was simply to kill her? He could easily order it to be done by the general who, she surmised, would carry out the order without a moment's thought or doubt as to the moral reasoning behind what he was doing.

"I..see," she said finally, her voice soft and unsure which was a clear indicator of the fear currently gripping her. Sharp eyes turned to Anaster at his words only to soften and widen when she heard his suggestion. The general didn't speak after that...Elrane did, and thankfully he was protecting her, pointing out that Anaster had other things to tend to more important than her. While it was a degrading statement, it was one meant to turn the man away from his vile thoughts. She didn't hear a response from Anaster after Elrane's words, but that didn't mean anything since she couldn't see facial expressions. If Elrane wasn't careful, the first child of the dead seed might just take her out of spite...

The general announced his distaste for the bickering and spoke of the meal arriving, instructing them to take their seats. She simply followed Elrane since there wasn't a location stated, and settled to the right of wherever it was he chose to sit, hoping Anaster would stay close to the general. Maybe he would see the chance to spin some words regarding her care and try to sway the general into his court. The food was a welcome distraction from her thoughts and she quickly set to pulling pieces of meat onto her plate before scooping some vegetables onto it.

Back
Top Bottom