Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite Horror Movie

Yeah, I think practical > CGI 90% of the time. What works really well is the two blending together as a way to enhance to original effects, I don't think movies like Alien(s) would work very well nowadays, no matter how good the Xenomorphs looked.
100% agree. Good practical effects age extremely well. CGI can easily look outdated 2-3 years later. Blending the two together can certainly work as it covers the weaknesses both have of course. Sadly, practical effects are a niche thing nowadays.

100% agree. Good practical effects age extremely well. CGI can easily look outdated 2-3 years later. Blending the two together can certainly work as it covers the weaknesses both have of course. Sadly, practical effects are a niche thing nowadays.
It also goes to show how creative people can be when it comes to building props. Making scary monsters with rubber, foam and plastic or guts and gore out of rubber chickens (still LOL whenever I spot that in Day Of The Dead), corn syrup, mayonnaise, etc. feels, in a way, more real than something the actors have to pretend is there.

It's why Cabin In The Woods is still my favorite horror movie of all time, the blend between practical and CG worked very well and pushed the boundaries of many styles of film-making with its' extensive use of every tool at their disposal to design fun creatures.

On the subject of practical effects I should add an honorable mention to my top three. Psycho. Without Hitchcock's determination (not to mention wild imagination) in the realms of making the most basic of practical effects we might not have had all the future slasher flicks. Plus of course Herrmann's additional musical stylings with the violins ratcheting up the visuals 'violence'? Definitely a precursor to so much Halloween media worth noting.

I figured it would be fun to get a little bit into the season. So everyone what's your favorite Horror movie. Mines a tie between A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original) and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
13 Ghosts!

The Thing, 1982. Starring Kurt Russel's hair.

IMG_8358.jpg

Gotta be honest. I was today years old when I learned there was an original 1960s 13 ghosts. The original good?
I enjoyed it when I saw it, but it was a few years since Ive seen it so I dont really feel comfortable saying if its better or not

Jeepers Creepers 2. (1 is also pretty good. 3 is.... Eh...)
Original Alien movie. (But probably more of nostalgia of when I was kid when I saw it and nightmares that follow.)
IT (not sure if this counts. I am talking about the old TV series more than 2017 movie which I haven't seen. I don't like watching 'reboots,' much as they often take away from original.)

There is also the theory of Marry Poppins and Pennywise being pretty much same or similar species; if you look deep into it or just search you will see strong similarities between the two. With the only main difference being one helps kids and one feeds off them.

Trick 'r Treat is an anthology, is fun and is sexy, it has everything and it's a Halloween tradition to watch it.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1, 3, and The Beginning (The Beginning is my absolute favorite, though), Halloween 1 and Rob Zombie's first movie, It and It Chapter 2 both the original ans new versions, Candyman the original, Friday the 13th 1 and the remake, The Nun, Darkness Reigns, The Crow the original, Crawl, Scream all of them, Saw the original and maybe the next 2, Repo! The Genetic Opera, Mirrors the original, The Lady in Black the original with Daniel Redcliff, The Langoliers, Insidious all of them, Hell House all 3, See No Evil 1, Wrong Turn the original and newest one...and probably others. These are just the ones on the top of my head. :3

Back
Top Bottom