Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sacred Ceremony (Phenom & ScarlettFever)

"You're a very brave boy then, Sir." Sibi replied with a grin, reaching out a hand to ruffle the young boy's hair. "I appreciate any and all help you can provide when it comes to dealing with your sister. Just make sure that whenever I give you a wink like this," he made an exaggerated winking gesture. "That you find an excuse to drag Bau away so that we can continue with the plan to break things off with her peacefully."

Sibi laughed, a deep, rumbling sound when Sir informed him of his age and approach on adulthood. "My apologies, young Sir! If you are truly approaching the age of a man, perhaps there is something I can teach you then, something all men who know of battle must know, to help reaffirm this with others you come across? Would you like if I would teach you how to ride a horse, as we do into battle? Would you like that? First though, you have to promise to continue to help your brother and I keep Bau from getting clued into what we are doing, because she can never know."

Sir was proving to be an exceptional child and it honored Sibi that the boy had a clearly growing infatuation with him. He was growing quite fond of the boy himself and he was realizing that if he did not do better to guard his tongue, he would find himself in more trouble than he already was. Sir had done well to keep things quiet and he applauded the boy. He was hoping to use the offer of horseback riding, maybe throw in an invitation to Ishtar, to better bond with the two of them. He could tell how much Ishtar cared for her younger sibling and he could only hope to attempt to match her level of care and due diligence in his well-being.

"Because...you curious boy, I wish to know if she is well. She was feeling unwell the other day and I as her soon to be sibling would like to inquire if her health has improved." Sibi quickly backtracked, realizing he'd almost let slip important details between him and Sir's sister, that none save the two in question were to know for the time being. "It is something that a good brother would do, ask after the safety of a sibling, right?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Has anyone ever told you that you're wiser than your years, young Sir? I will take that advice under consideration and try to find better ways to show I care, in my own small way, that won't raise suspicions from her of my true intent."

"No," Sibi paused, tilting his head slightly and rubbing at the stubble on his chin. "It would require someone to fall from a much higher height and near where the current is swift and full of rocks. I know of little else that could cause bruising from the river, why do you ask?"

Last edited:
Sir's eyes lit up when the warrior offered to teach him to ride like a blade brother. "Will you really teach me? I'd love that above anything! Can we go tomorrow?" gushed the boy, bouncing up and down in excitement. "And it's a deal! I'll help you get away with Bau in exchange for riding lessons!"

As they spoke the boy noticed the way Sibi's voice changed when he spoke of Ishtar, and he held back a smirk but said nothing. When the warrior confirms his suspicions about Ishtar's excuse for her bruises, the boy nodded.

"It would require someone to fall from a much higher height and near where the current is swift and full of rocks. I know of little else that could cause bruising from the river, why do you ask?"

"I saw Ishtar unbutton the top of her robe today, and she had bruises on her collar and chest," he explained, his face becoming serious. "She also is moving stiffly, as though she is injured. I asked her about the bruises, and she said she fell into the river and was banged against rocks. When my brother Ea died, Ishtar was at the river then, too. The men who killed Ea also tried to hurt my sister, and she had bruises and was sore then, too. Do you suppose someone hurt her again?"

------------------------------------------------

Bau munched on her luncheon, huffing in frustration that Sibi had not yet returned. She finished cleaning the bridal hut and then picked up the remnants of the cold lunch, swinging the basket over her arm. She would not wait here in vain. Instead, she left eh cabin and made her way to the family home and deposited the basket on the table in the hearth room then joined her mother.

"How did the bridal hut preparations go, daughter?" queried her mother, placing another delicate stitch into the length of fabric she held.

Bau picked up the garment discarded beside her mother. No doubt Ishtar had begun working on it and left to see about supper. She began adding her own elegant stitches as she replied, "I was successful, Ummu. It was easy since my brother and his wife occupied not long ago."

"That is good, Bau," the older woman responded, biting her thread to snap it. "And Sibi repaired the roof, did he not?"

"Mhm," the girl replied, nodding and focusing on her task. She smoothed her fingers over the rich fabric, waiting a tad impatiently to wear it.

Suddenly, she asked, "Ummu, did you and Abum wait until your vows were spoken to consummate your love?

"Of course I will teach you, Sir, I have promised such, have I not?" Sibi replied with a slowly growing smile. "I will have to see about tomorrow. We will begin soon though. I have to seek permission from your father before we even think of doing such a thing. Perhaps Iva can help us persuade him to agree...or perhaps your sister, Ishtar?"

Sibi felt his face blush and he turned away to hide it, trying to bring himself under control, the vivid memory of their passion-filled embrace in the garden still fresh in his mind. "I have heard stories of this event at the river with Ishtar and her twin, what do you know of it? I do not think that someone would dare hurt your sister, Sir, do not fret. I have a feeling that she has several strong men who would be willing to protect her at any cost." He reaches a hand down to ruffle the young boy's hair. "Soon, you will be one of those number, no?"

"Do you regularly worry about your sister this way Sir?" Sibi asked, finding a nearby rock to lower himself on. "Do you ever worry that your sister, whom you seem so fond of, will not find her own happiness, that she will not find her a man who will gift her with children and a loving home?"

He patted his lap. "Come Sir, have a seat. I will tell you tales of my travels and battles."

He waited for the boy to settle and get comfortable before beginning to recount various tales of his exploits and battles, filtering the more gruesome details. He described the wonder of the world, how some cities have towering walls higher than a man can reach when standing at full height, how others have temples to the gods that surely must touch the very heavens themselves. He told of how he and Iva had met, how they had become fast friends and soon brothers of the blade. He told of how he learned to be a swordsman, how he trained for long hours, regardless of the weather. He explained that the mind, tapping Sir on the forehead, was one of the most important weapons a man could wield and thus must always be kept as sharp as a finely tuned blade. He told stories well into the afternoon and as the sun began to dip beyond the yonder horizon, casting the sky in beautiful hues of red and orange, he rose and stretched.

"We must be getting back, Sir." Sibi teased, ruffling the young boy's hair again. "Your family will think ill of me for stealing you away for such a long time. We must get back to the main house in time for dinner. I do not know about you; but, I am starving."

"Yes, I would always fight to protect Ishtar," replied the boy, his little face solemn as though making a vow.

"Do you regularly worry about your sister this way Sir?" Sibi asked, finding a nearby rock to lower himself on. "Do you ever worry that your sister, whom you seem so fond of, will not find her own happiness, that she will not find her a man who will gift her with children and a loving home?"

Sir scratched his head, considering the warrior's questions before replying in a thoughtful voice, "I haven't thought so much about her finding a husband and her having children." His admission was sheepish, as though he should have, even though he was only a boy. "But I want her to be happy, Sibi. She is happy, I think, but she's been sad since she became ill a few months ago and had to stay in bed for a few days. Before that, she was very happy, humming a lot and smiling when she thought I wasn't paying attention."

He seemed lost in thought a moment before he said, "But I guess I do want her to have a husband and kids, but only if that's what she wants. And her husband has to love her a lot! As much as Moumis loves his wife! They're always smiling at each other and making google eyes, even though they've been married for nearly two years now. I just hope she doesn't marry a man who will take her away. Bau always tells Ishtar that she will never find a husband from the village men because they know she was at the temple for two weeks before she returned. Bau says it is a disgrace and embarrassment, and no man wants a wife who has to beg a priest to perform the sacred ceremony with her." Sir narrowed his eyes at the memory and continued, "Ishtar just ignores her, though. Sibi, why would no man want to marry her because of this?"

Sir listened with excitement as the warrior wove stories of his feats in battle throughout the rest of the day until the sun began to lower its golden disk and his stomach began to rumble.

"We must be getting back, Sir." Sibi teased, ruffling the young boy's hair again. "Your family will think ill of me for stealing you away for such a long time. We must get back to the main house in time for dinner. I do not know about you; but, I am starving."

The boy nodded, and they headed toward the house.

--------------------------------------------

Suddenly, she asked, "Ummu, did you and Abum wait until your vows were spoken to consummate your love?

"Tsk, Bau! What a question to ask your mother!" exclaimed the older woman, two bright dots of color appearing on her cheeks. She dipped her head low, smiling as she sewed, and then replied, "Yes, we waited, Bau, but your father was very impatient. He said one taste of me was not enough!" She giggled like a girl at the memory.

Bau looked at her mother in confusion, not noticing Ishtar quietly entering the room and sitting beside her to assist her with her wedding garment. "I don't understand, Ummu, how had he had one taste if you had not consummated...?"

Her voice trailed off when she noticed her sister's arrival, and she dropped her curious expression, casting a baleful glance at the younger woman and waiting for her mother to continue speaking.

"Why, we completed the ceremony in the temple together, daughters!" she replied, Ummu's face all smiles as she looked up at the girls. "Did I never tell you?" Both shook their heads in surprise, and the woman continued, "Yes, we had seen each other in the village, and your father had asked my brothers about me, but they refused to tell him anything because I was not marriageable yet. So, he paid my younger sister, Belit, with sweet treats to tell him when I was sent to the temple. He gave Belit so many sweets that she was sick after!"

"So, Abum was your Sacred Ceremony partner?" Ishtar asked, her heart quickening pace.

The older woman smiled, eyes crinkling at the sides, "Yes, daughters, he came to the temple not 10 minutes after I arrived." She pressed a hand to her chest, and her eyes misted as she continued, "I was so scared to go to the temple. I had no understanding of what would happen because my mother had shielded me so."

Tashmitum closed her eyes, remembering every detail of the moment her handsome Aralu had arrived. She was shaking, terrified of the unknown as she sat on the temple steps, and then a shadow came over her, and she looked up to see the handsome boy from the village looking down at her. He smiled at her, his eyes twinkling, and he tossed a silver coin into her lap and said, "I invite you in the name of Mylita." He grasped her arms and gently helped her to her feet, caressing her cheek when she stood. He cupped her face and peered into her eyes and said, "I have wanted you for a long time, Tashmitum, and I promise you, I will be gentle." After performing the ceremony, still lying in his arms, her heart racing, Aralu had kissed her forehead and held her tightly, promising to seek her father's permission for a betrothal before the sun had set. They were married only a few weeks later.

"And that is why we have had such a blessed union, with the strongest and braves of sons and the most beautiful and kind daughters," spoke a deep voice from the doorway, and all three looked up to see Aralu, gazing at his wife, love pouring from him as he did so. "Aphrodite always blesses doubly those who marry their temple partners, and we have been blessed."

"Oh, how sweet!" gushed Bau, caught up in her parents' tale, her eyes dancing and her smile wide on her beautiful face.

--------------------------------------------------

Ishtar's heart thundered in her chest, tears pressing against the backs of her eyes. Her little hands formed fists beneath the fabric she sewed as she struggled to hold in her emotions. She'd been so close to receiving this blessing, so close. She loved Sibi with all of her being, her soul cried out for his. He had told her the same, and last night, she'd believed him. Had believed his words of promise, of his body's touch, his gifts of love. But in the cold light of day, he had betrayed her heart by sleeping with her sister, and she felt as though her world were turning to dust.

"Remember those words, boy." Sibi whispered with a grin, reaching out to clasp the young boy's hands in his own, pressing them together with gentle pressure. "There is no stronger warrior who holds a vow of protection for those he loves. A man who defends wealth will fight; but, a man who fights for his loved ones and family will not cease to fight until his breath be stolen or the battle be done. You are walking down the first steps toward a true warrior, my young brother. I will try to guide you as much as I am able."

Sibi reached up a hand to ruffle the young boy's hair once more. "Ishtar, your sister, has been going through a rough patch, I think. You should continue to do what you do best and support her and stand by her so that when she needs you, you are not far from her sight or thoughts. Do not fret over things we cannot control. We do not know why your sister has been feeling out of sorts the past few months; but, we must lend her our ears when asked and be kind as real men should."

"Why do you worry about Ishtar going away?" He asked, his gaze soft and curious. "If a man came who loved her and asked her to go with him, you would be upset that she would possibly go with him and leave you behind, is that it?"

He chuckled at the turn in the conversation and the mention of the priest story, his mind flashing back to memories of their time in the temple and the sweet love they had made, enough to make even Aphrodite blush. "Do not worry about what Bau says, not all men are concerned with when a woman completes the ceremony, only that she does. You are too young to know more, come to me when you are able to swing a sword for an hour without pause or sweating. When you are strong of body, you will be able to be strong of mind and understand why I make you wait to know this truth."

Sibi and young Sir were quick to make their way back to the house, neither wishing to miss out on the possibility of dinner for that evening. Both could hear the grumble of the other's stomach and at one point, Sibi challenged Sir to a race the rest of the way, the winner being promised a portion of the winner's dinner servings. Sibi pretended to try, making Sir exert himself; but, in the end, while clutching his sides with laughter, he admitted defeat to his better. He quickly sobered as they entered the house, Sibi giving Sir a gentle nudge to get ready and wash up while he did the same in the bachelor's hut he shared with Iva. He adorned another pair of his robes, these soft blue and entered the dining room, lowering himself on one of the empty cushions.

"What is for dinner tonight, mother?" Sibi teased, flashing Sir a wink. "For there are hungry men out here and it smells delicious!"

Ishtar heard her mother's laughter in the hearth room, followed by masculine chuckles, and she smiled. She was happy that Ummu and Sibi got along, even if he was not hers. They both were special people, and she wanted her mother to love the man she loved so much. She finished placing the goblets and wine on the table, counting again to make certain there were enough. Tonight, Iva was bringing another blade brother to dinner, and her oldest brother and his wife were dining with them, as well.

Sir bounded through the door and nearly ran into her, and the girl laughed as he steadied himself then flung his arms around her waist. "What is all this, brother?" she asked, smiling fondly at the boy, her fingers running through his hair.

"If you leave, Ishtar, will you promise to visit me? May I visit you?" he asked, his arms not leaving her waist.

"Leave? What is this talk of leaving?" she asked, clucking her tongue and returning his hug. "I'm not leaving."

"When you marry, of course," the boy replied. "Ummu says that one day, we will all marry, and usually, it is the woman who must move to her husband's home. I don't want you to move, Ishtar." His voice broke, and the young woman knelt so that she could look into his sweet face.

"Sir, I am not even betrothed, there is no need to fear me leaving," she soothed, kissing his forehead. She didn't noticed that the door had opened, and Sibi, Iva, and their blade brother Daon had entered. "But I promise, should I one day marry and leave this village, my husband and I will welcome you into our home any time you wish, okay?" She smiled, her eyes soft and loving, wiping the errant tear from his cheek. "After all, no husband will come between me and my main fellow." She winked, and the boy laughed, hugging her again, but this time, smiling.

"And here I thought I was your favorite, sister," Iva boomed, laughing at his own joke.

Ishtar whipped her head around and gasped, her cheeks flushing that the three men had watched such an intimate moment between her and her brother. She rose from the awkward position, and Iva scampered to call their father to dinner, leaving her alone with the men. Her natural shyness threatened to overtake her, but something new had been borne within her, something created by the time she'd spent with Sibi. He'd found her desirable and worth spending time with, so perhaps she was.

Instead of hiding her face and returning to the hearth room where her mother and sister worked as she normally would, Ishtar smiled at her brother, her low chuckle enticing in its naturalness. "All of my brothers are my favorite, Iva," she replied, "but Sibi shares his sweets more than you do."

Iva's eyes widened at her joke, and he laughed loudly as Daon chuckled beside him.

"Very true, Ishtar," Iva agreed, smiling at her. "I am notoriously selfish with my sweets. I've taken to hiding them from Sibi since he is rooming with me until the wedding ceremony."

The girl's smile faltered a bit, but she cleared her throat and turned to motion them to their chairs. "Won't you be seated? Everyone else should arrive soon."

Sibi had to try really hard not to follow every movement of Ishtar across the room as she placed goblets for the evening meal, noting the addition of one to the usual number and pondered who would be joining them this evening for the meal. He knew that Iva was bringing another one of their blade brothers home with him in their efforts to break the engagement with Bau. He only hoped that it would prove successful, he did not know for how much longer he could keep himself from taking her into his arms and kissing her where all could see. He dug his fingers into the flesh of his thigh until it left angry, red marks.

"So that's why it has become increasingly more difficult to find sweets?" Sibi asked, turning to look at his blade brother in disbelief. "I just thought that they weren't being made as regularly and so I had to grab them when I could."

Sibi made his way around the table, finding one of the vacant seats and lowering himself down into it. "What have you made us for dinner today mother? I imagine whatever it may be that it will be delicious!"

"Tell me more of what you have been up to since we last saw each other, brother?" Sibi inquires, turning to speak with Daon. "Last I saw you, it was what, a year ago? How have things been for you since then? Are you still chasing women like then? Or perhaps you're here hoping to find one yourself?"

Sibi realized his error and covered his mouth with his goblet, taking a long sip. "My apologies, brother. I forgot my place. The wine, it has gotten to me. Perhaps I should water it down before I say something not appropriate for the present crowd. Sir, would you like Daon to tell you one of his adventuring stories? He is an accomplished swordmaster like me and your brother and surely has one or two that you might find enjoyable!"

Ishtar continued setting the dinner table as her Iva, Sibi, and their blade brother sat. She noticed that Sibi sat between the two men, and a sliver of hope shot down her spine that he was trying to not sit beside Bau. She pushed that away, though, and focused on her task.

"So that's why it has become increasingly more difficult to find sweets?" Sibi asked, turning to look at Iva with disbelief. "I just thought that they weren't being made as regularly and so I had to grab them when I could."

The men joked and teased each other as Sir and their father entered, followed by her oldest brother, Moumis, and his sweet wife, who were introduced to everyone else. Ishtar returned to the heart room to tell her mother and sister that everyone had arrived, and the three women began bringing out bowls and platters of food, placing it on the table.

"What have you made us for dinner today mother? I imagine whatever it may be that it will be delicious!" Sibi said to Ummu, and the older woman smiled, clearly charmed by the man who was to soon be her son.

"We have roast lamb, this evening, my son," she said, "and a few more treats I think you'll like. Iva told me how much you enjoy some of the delicacies of the northern regions of Babylon, so I tried my hand at a few of them. I hope you enjoy the dishes."

When the women finished distributing the dishes, Ishtar studied the table, noting Bau's frustrated scowl as that her betrothed was sitting between two men and she was forced to choose a seat on either side of her mother. The pretty blonde sat on their mother's left, beside their sister-in-law, leaving only one spot remaining for Ishtar, between Ummu and the warrior Daon.

"Tell me more of what you have been up to since we last saw each other, brother?" Sibi inquired, turning to speak with Daon. "Last I saw you, it was what, a year ago? How have things been for you since then? Are you still chasing women like then? Or perhaps you're here hoping to find one yourself?"

As though he realized that bringing up his way with women were inappropriate in mixed company, Sibi took a long sip of his wine and then apologized, attempting to change the subject. The other man, however, did not appear put out.

Laughing, he clapped his blade brother on the back and replied affably, "I just might be in the market for one woman after all, Sibi. Just because you snatched up the most beautiful girl in Babylon before anyone else got a chance to doesn't mean we are without equally desirable options." He cast a wicked grin at Ishtar, catching her glance and winking at her. The girl's eyes widened, and she gasped at his boldness, a surprised blush rising on her cheeks. She dipped her bread into her hummus and dropped her eyes to her plate, ignoring the remark.

Iva, however, did not let it slide, and he said, "Yes, my sisters are equally lovely, indeed, Daon. But be forewarned that I am protective of them."

"So am I," chimed in Sir's smaller voice, glaring at the warrior. He had seen the wink the man had tossed to Ishtar and didn't like it.

"Tsk, Sir, do not speak to your elders that way," reprimanded Ummu, and she quickly changed the subject to the upcoming wedding.

Ishtar remained silent throughout the course of the meal, her heart feeling heavy and leaden. Was Daon really suggesting she might be his future wife? The thought of another man, any man but Sibi making love to her made her feel queasy, and she sipped from her goblet to steady herself. Her body cried out for only one man, and she knew that if she could not have him, she wanted no other.

Last edited:
"Roast lamb," Sibi replied, straightening his posture on the mat. "I haven't had good, home-cooked lamb in a very long time. It was one of my favorite dishes in my youth when I could scrounge the money together to purchase some from the local street vendors. Those were the days."

He may have been a soldier and dense on some matters; but, he did not fail to notice how disappointed his betrothed was by the distance between them by his strategic seated position. She had clearly expected to be seated next to him and more than likely had intended to try to succeed where her earlier attempts had failed in seduction. She was lovely, yes; but, she was no Ishtar. He caught the tail end of the conversation between his blade brother and Ishtar, words that could have only been flirting and it merely took one look to see the blush on her cheeks to know that his assumption was spot on. He had known the man was crass; but, he had hoped he would at least rein it in this evening while in the presence of his adoptive family. Apparently his hopes had been in vain for the man seemed intent on acting as he was known for.

He felt the stirrings of a deep emotion in his chest, something akin to snakes twisting in his guts and it made his lips curl at the thought of this man, his brother, laying hands on the woman he loved and cherished. He tried to hide the jealously beneath his goblet by raising it to his lips and taking a slow sip. He lowered the goblet as he laughed at the quick bravado of the young Sir, the fierce youth reminding him of himself in so many ways when he was younger. He could only hope to shape and guide the youth through his own experiences to prevent him from making the same mistakes he had. There were certain experiences in life he needed to let Sir experience on his own though, experiences that would help shape the young boy as he grew into a man, good or bad.

"You know," Sibi began with a grin. "We can't all be so lucky as to have a face as ugly as yours that prevents you from finding a woman who will tolerate everything else that comes with it."

Ishtar kept her eyes downward, but a small smile touched her lips at Sibi's sarcastic comment toward his blade brother. He'd noticed the man flirting with her, and he didn't like it. If he only realized how she didn't care either, he needn't have worried.

Bau watched the exchange, frustrated first that Ishtar had received attention from Daon, who had grown uncommonly handsome since she'd last seen him, and then Sibi's protectiveness. Perhaps it was brotherly impetuosity that spurred his snide comment, but she didn't like her sister receiving such attention. Preening, she laughed a high, tinkling sound at Sibi's words, using them to cast yet another dart at her sister.

"Perhaps, my betrothed, they are indeed a match then," she retorted coyly, her smile seductive but her eyes calculating. "If you say he cannot find a woman who will tolerate him, then perhaps he can tolerate a woman who sat at Aphrodite's temple for two weeks before she participated in the ceremony. It is the perfect end."

Ishtar blanched even as she heard her mother and Moumis's wife gasp in shock at her brazen and hateful words. She blinked furiously to ward off tears but her hand shook when she lifted her vessel to drink. Beside her, she heard her mother murmuring sharply to Bau about her rudeness to her sister and guest, but she felt as though the walls were closing in, the room suddenly stifling.

Daon cast stunned eyes at the beauty across the table from him, obviously shocked by her mean-spirited remark, and then he cast another look at Ishtar, her face in shadows in the room. He spoke gently and kindly, "A woman who awaits Aphrodite's blessing shows patience and gentleness of spirit that are admirable traits any man would desire in a wife." Ishtar glanced up in surprise, offering a grateful smile at the man, and then she returned to her meal.

Ever the peacemaker, Iva forced a jolly laugh, slapping Sibi on the back, his hand gripping his friend's shoulder as if to warn him against his anger. He cast a curious glance at his friend, wondering why he seemed so put out. After all, Iva had brought Daon here to dangle Bau in front of him, a tempting pearl to the man who had already admired his sister. It was not so bad that he seemed interested in Ishtar instead. He would find someone else to woo Bau. "You two, always the jests. Let us reign it in in front of the women folk, shall we, brothers?" He changed the conversation to a tame battle story that brought both his blade brothers into the telling, and soon, the tension around the table dissipated.

Sir, however, remained silent, his scowl unchanging as he glared daggers at Bau and glanced with concern at Ishtar. When supper had been cleared and dessert brought in, the boy stole his mother's seat and sat beside Ishtar, purposefully sending Bau a swift kick beneath the table. She gasped, glaring at the boy, but he offered an angelic smile and sweetly apologized for bumping her before leaning against Ishtar. The girl hid a grin and wrapped her arm around her little brother, gently stroking his shoulder as he began to yawn, listening to the conversation around him. Soon, he was fast asleep.

Ishtar smiled when she heard his even breathing, and she glanced at her mother, motioning toward the child. The older woman nodded, and Ishtar stood, leaning down to gather her little brother in her arms, but stopping when she remembered he was no longer so little. She glanced across the table, her eyes resting on Sibi before forcing them to Iva and asked, "Will you please carry Sir for me, Iva?"

"Betrothed," Sibi began, his voice an octave lower than normal and his eyes beginning flash with crimson fire until he felt the slap of Iva on his back, startling him out of his fit of anger. "You had best watch your mouth Bau, you only have the siblings you do now. Would you honestly find yourself happy if something ill befell your sister just because you wished it were so?"

He knew Iva meant well and while Sibi appreciated it, he couldn't hold back this time. "You need to understand something betrothed, I had no one growing up. I was an orphan, a forgotten one, my parents both dead before I was even old enough to remember them. I had no siblings to look to for protection, comfort or understanding. I had to climb to where I am now by the power of my own two hands. If someone asked me if I would give that all up to have siblings, do you know what I would say, huh? I would say yes in a heartbeat because money, wealth and power mean nothing if you have no one to share it with. You may have something against your sister; but, you would be surprised to learn that getting everything in life does not come easy to everyone."

Sibi spent the rest of the meal in contemplative, brooding silence, picking and nibbling at the various foods on the plates. He completely ignored Bau, he was quickly tiring of her childish antics and petty squabbles. He did not know what he had seen in her in the beginning. The only thing that kept him in his seat, the only thing had him biting his tongue was the feelings of respect and love he bore for her sister and brothers. He would not cast the entire family in a negative light because one sibling felt entitled to hold a negative opinion of the others.

"No," Sibi protested, rising to his feet and holding his hands out for the young boy. "I will carry him for you, Ishtar. He has grown on me."

Ishtar's cheeks flamed when Sibi scolded Bad, and she felt as though the warrior had wrapped his arms around her in a loving embrace. When he moved to lift Sir into his arms to carry the child for her, she smiled softly, allowing herself to fully glance into his beloved face before she dropped her hers and led the man toward Sir's bedroom. There, she motioned toward his pallet, and she pulled a sheet over the child and placed a loving kiss on his brow.

Turning toward the warrior, she said softly, "Thank you, Sibi, for not only carrying Sir but for speaking up for me at the table." She kept her eyes downcast, and her voice quivered as she spoke. "Please do not quarrel with Bau, though. You should not start your marriage on a bad note."

--------------------------------------------------

Sir had woken as soon as Sibi lifted him from the table, but he pretended to sleep when he realized the soldier and Ishtar were the ones who were going to tuck him into bed. He had a suspicion that Sibi loved his favorite sister and not the snake, and he wanted to find out more.

His ears perked up when Ishtar spoke in his bedroom, and he lay very still. Her voice shook when she mentioned Sibi marrying Bau, and he made a gagging face toward the wall he faced before focusing again on their conversation.

Sibi was in a quiet, brooding mood as he followed behind Ishtar to Sir's room, lowering the young boy tenderly to his cot and watching as Ishtar lovingly covered him with one of the sheets. The motherly care and tenderness she showed the young boy stirred a protective desire in him that he was worried was going to get him into trouble. He had already clearly broached a dangerous point back at the dinner, calling Bau out in front of her family, for her childish antics. Whilst it may have been warranted, it was not his place to say anything. It just rubbed him the wrong way in the callous manner in which Bau mistreated her sister. He had wished for years to have a sibling, any siblings and watching how Bau treated Ishtar as less than dirt stoked the flames of anger in ways little else could. He would have to seek Bau out, explain to her that he wasn't mad at her in particular, just the way she treated her younger sister.

"It will not be hard to quarrel," he growled, fingers curling into the sides of his thighs. "That vile thing cannot be called a woman, let alone a sister. I do not know what has happened between you two in the past to cause such hateful words to spew like water from her lips; but, it is unacceptable behavior for any sane, normal person."

He sighed out the breath he hadn't known he was holding. "I would have stood up for you, my love, even if I did not have feelings other than the ones I wield. I cannot stand by when someone who has been given the gift of a sister, nay, a family, I cannot stand by and do nothing as she drags your feelings and emotions through the mud. I do not need to know the history of this animosity towards you, it is not my place; but, you can expect me in your corner every single time it occurs because if we do not nip it in the bud now, she will only get worse."

"As to my marriage to your sister, do not despair, my love." He soothed, closing the distance between them, unaware of Sir watching, and clasped her hands in his, lifting them to his lips to press a soft kiss to the back of each hand before pulling her to him and wrapping his arms around her as he kisses her firmly on the lips. "We are trying to find a way to absolve this wedding so that I may propose and marry the true woman of my dreams, the keeper of my heart."

He squeezed her gently in his arms, rubbing his hands up and down her back. "Please be patient, my love, we will pull through this."

Sibi's words washed over Ishtar and wrapped around her like a warm blanket. She felt his kindness, his warrior-spirit ready to help her battle her enemies, and she wanted to bask in it as long as she could.

"I swear, Sibi, I don't know why she hates me," she said, truth etched into her face. "I've asked her, and she only scoffs and ignores my questions."

"As to my marriage to your sister, do not despair, my love." He soothed, closing the distance between them, unaware of Sir watching, and clasped her hands in his, lifting them to his lips to press a soft kiss to the back of each hand before pulling her to him and wrapping his arms around her as he kisses her firmly on the lips. "We are trying to find a way to absolve this wedding so that I may propose and marry the true woman of my dreams, the keeper of my heart."

He squeezed her gently in his arms, rubbing his hands up and down her back. "Please be patient, my love, we will pull through this."

For a moment, the girl allowed herself to melt into his familiar embrace, leaning against his strength, aching to let go and to trust his words, but then her sister's rumpled, naked image slid into her mind, and she felt as though ice water were being poured into her veins. Gently, she pulled back a little, not enough to break his grasp, but enough to look up into his face, studying his beloved features as she spoke softly, "Sibi, please don't make promises if you do not intend to keep them. I...I...I saw my sister today, when I took the picnic lunch to the hut." Ishtar's cheeks bloomed pink, and she dropped her gaze as she continued, "She was naked...except for her sheet, and her hair was messy. She told me...," Ishtar paused, pain lancing her heart, and her voice cracked, "about how you got the scar here," she finished, touching his chest through his tunic. "She could only have known of that scar if she had seen it...as I did."

"Did she always hate you?" Sibi probed, trying to source the origin of the hate and malice he saw exhibited on a regular basis against Ishtar by Bau. "This does not seem like a recent event. There seems to be an underlying cause that has instilled in her a desire to belittle and shame you at every opportunity."

He rubbed at the faint stubble of facial hair on his chin. "This requires further thought and investigation. I shall try to ask her sometime when we are alone and she is more vulnerable to such questioning. If I ask tonight, after the events of our dinner and how I treated her, she will surely lock up and shut off any such questioning."

"What promises do you speak of me breaking?" Sibi asked, a flash of hurt crossing his features as he noted how she pulled back from their tight embrace, not completely leaving the embrace but clearly putting distance between them and his gaze sought hers, seeking an answer to a question he was not even aware he was asking. "Ishtar, you truly think this of me? You truly think I would betray you so?"

He withdrew his embrace from her, his arms dropping lifelessly to his side, noting the look she gave him, the pain in it. "How can we be together if you cannot trust me? I have loved you since we met that evening in the temple and we made love beneath Aphrodite's gaze. I have not lain with another woman since, nor do I intend to. You are mine and the only woman and lover I will ever want or need. Your sister seeks to poison you against me, seek to deepen the hatred you have between each other and to make you hurt. It would seem that her words did more damage than any truth could."

"If you really must know," Sibi replied, turning to go but pausing at the door to Sir's room, hand resting on the frame. "I was with Sir, we were going for a walk and I was promising to begin his warrior training with horsemanship. Bau tried, oh how she tried, to tempt me, to lure me into her bed to lay with her; but, I did not feel the desire to carry it out. My body may betray me at times; but, my heart and mind are strong, it would take more than the touch or words of a woman to tempt me into her bed."

Sibi let those words hang, heavy and thick, in the air as he exited. He needed time to be alone, he needed air. The room had felt thick and suffocating just then and he had never felt more pain from such a look. Not even the wounds that had caused the scars that marred his body could evoke such pain. He let his feet carry him, his mind too preoccupied with other things. He found himself in the garden of the gods again and he lowered himself on to a rock, burying his face in his hands. He dug the nails of his fingers into the skin of his face until he felt pain and then ran them through his hair.

He looked to the sky and sighed. "Aphrodite, guide me."

Bau's humiliation ran deep as she remained composed throughout dessert. When her betrothed and Ishtar did not return, suspicion began to gnaw at her, ugly and strong, and after she assisted her mother in removing the dishes to the hearth room for washing, she allowed her mother and sister-in-law to take over the cleaning duties and slipped out the back door. In the distance, she saw Sibi's lone figure walking toward the Garden of the Gods, and she hurried to follow him. His head was bowed, shoulders slumped, and he appeared quite upset. The young woman's cheeks flamed, wondering if he was regretting his decision to marry her, if he now found her ugly because of her meanness toward her sister.

She crept stealthily in as he sat on a large stone, the statue of the goddess nearby. She wondered at the agony in his voice when he suddenly looked up at the night sky and sighed, "Aphrodite, guide me."

Thinking quickly, she stood straight and stepped into the opening, allowing the moonlight to cast its shimmery, silvery waves upon her fair hair. She knew, in that moment, she appeared to be the goddess herself, and she stared directly into Sibi's eyes as she spoke clearly, "She has guided you to me, my betrothed." Wordlessly, she unfastened her robe and let it slither down her body, her lush curves glittering in the moonlight, the slopes of her breasts and hips and thighs enticing and utterly delectable.

----------------------------------------------------

Ishtar winced at the pain she saw in his face, her doubt obviously hurting him. She hated herself for doubting him, but her sister's knowledge of the scar was too strange. However, her sister was crafty, and the girl would not put it past Bau to have attempted the deception. She bit her bottom lip, staring at his retreating figure, when she heard a voice from the other side of the room.

"He doesn't like Bau at all, Ishtar," said Sir's voice.

The young woman jerked, her body turning toward the bed, and she saw the boy sitting straight up, rubbing his eyes.

"How do you know such things, Sir?" she asked, incredulous.

"He loves you, Ishtar," the boy replied, "I just didn't know it was you until now."

The girl's brow furrowed in confusion, but her brother continued, "I heard him speak to Iva of the woman he performed a ceremony at Aphrodite's temple with and how he loved her and wanted to marry her. He didn't say her name, so I didn't know it was you. I don't think Iva does either." Hope sprung up in Ishtar's heart as she listened to the child continue. "I went to the hut today, Ishtar, after I spoke with you in the hearth room. Sibi was talking to Bau, and then he and I talked about him training me to be a warrior! We left Bau at the hut."

Ishtar's breath caught in her throat, her heartbeat skipping in joy. Perhaps all could work out, after all.

"Go to him, Ishtar," advised the wise child. "He loves you, and I see that you love him."

Impulsively, she hugged Sir tightly and kissed the top of his head before murmuring, "Thank you, brother," and then she turned and ran. She went first to Iva's apartments, but there was no sign of her warrior, and then she thought of his hurt and agony, and she knew where he went. Running as swiftly as her feet would carry her, Ishtar flew to the Garden of the Gods, and just as she broke through the trees, she heard her beloved's voice, "Aphrodite, guide me." He sounded wounded, truly pained, and she bit back a sob as she ran toward the goddess's statue. She tripped once on a thick root, but she quickly righted herself and hurried toward the statue, and then she heard her sister's voice ring out clearly, "She has guided you to me, my betrothed."

Ishtar gasped in horror as she pressed forward, and she saw her sister's naked body bathed in glorious moonlight, her perfect, unmarred skin shimmering under the stars, and Sibi sat there, staring at Bau. She whimpered, her fist raising to her mouth to hold back a sob, but something compelled her forward. She walked onward, toward the duo, and then she stood six feet behind her sister, her own modestly-clothed form now bathed in the same moonlight as bow, her tear-stained cheeks glistening in the light. She didn't look at her sister but stared into her beloved's face, her soul crying out for him to pick her.

There was something oddly peaceful about staring up at the stars and opening yourself up to the possibility of communing with the gods, allowing them to cast their guidance upon you. Sibi sighed and ran his hands through his hair again as his gaze drifted back down to gaze upon the form of Bau as she unfastened her robe and allowed it to slide down her body to pool by her feet. He would not have been a man if he did not admire the soft, lush curves of his betrothed. She appeared to be the very incarnation of Aphrodite herself as the moon illuminated her pale skin. Her full, firm breasts defied gravity as they sat on her chest and her body narrowed at her taut belly before rounding out at her hips. She was by every means a goddess among women; but, there was something about her that made her look ugly, an aura that made her seem unapproachable.

"No," Sibi protested, shaking his head furiously. "No, no, no. She would never do such a thing."

He buried his face in his hands again, his voice a pleading whine. "She would never so...so cruel."

Then there was a sound, an almost choked sob and his gaze shifted toward the origin of the sound. There, shadowed by the blinding brilliance of her sister, stood Ishtar, her cheeks still wet with drying tears. She had been crying? He mused, his gaze clouding with confusion. Why would she be crying? She was upset with me, with the thought that I had slept with her sister, the very woman in front of her who is all but throwing herself naked at me. He rose to his feet and approached Bau, reaching down to grasp her robe and lift it to cover her, his hand lingering on her shoulder.

"Bau," He sighed, squeezing gently. "You need to stop throwing yourself at me. I have told you, Aphrodite or not, that I will wait until the day of our wedding to consummate our union."

He glanced at Ishtar, where she stood in shadow, too quick for Bau to notice, his voice raising so she could be heard. "I do not just sleep with any woman, no matter how beautiful or how willing. You should think more of yourself Bau. I will see you tomorrow, I am tired and think I shall retire to the hut I share with your brother for the evening. Good evening."

He turned and walked back to the bachelor hut he shared with Iva, burying himself under the sheet, pulling it up and over his head to hide the tears that trickled down his cheek. He wiped angrily and them and wished that he was not in this situation. All he had ever wanted was his for the taking; but, he had never found himself in a situation that he could not just simply his way out of. He could not simply brute force his way through it. He loved Ishtar, there was no other way to describe the emotions that consumed him for her, for how she made him feel and the way she felt in his arms. Yet, Fate thought it a cruel joke to place him in a situation of being betrothed to the sister of the very woman he loved. He did not pride himself on being the smartest man in the room, he was more the practical, straightforward sort.

Ishtar awoke that morning, her heart lighter than it had been the day before. Sir's revelation and her own witness to how Sibi responded to Bau in the Garden of the Gods had calmed her disquieted spirit and restored some of her peace. She hopped out of her pallet and dressed quickly; there were many preparations to make, for she had to help her mother and sister ready the guest rooms and cook for her aunt and uncle who were arriving today. She also had laundry to wash by the river. Humming softly, she pulled her hair back in a long, dark, tidy braid, ignoring her sister sleeping soundly on her own pallet. Bau had come into their bedroom very late last night, and from the sounds of her tossing and turning, she hadn't gotten much sleep.

The young woman knelt beside her sister and gently touched her shoulder before speaking softly, "Bau, it's time to wake up. There is much work to do."

"Uuuuuuuh," her sister moaned, and Ishtar held back a laugh as she stood and left the room.

She made her way into the hearth room where she found Sir chatting animatedly to their mother about his upcoming warrior lesson with Sibi. The girl's heart skipped, knowing that her little brother admired the man she adored so much, and she dropped a sisterly kiss on the boys head as she greeted the duo.

"Good morning, daughter," her mother said, smiling at the girl as she kneaded dough on the table and nodded to the fire. "The breakfast porridge is nearly ready to add spices."

"Yes, Ummu," Ishtar replied, stirring the pot of thick porridge with the wooden spoon and tossing in cinnamon and cardamom, followed by a generous pouring of honey.

"Ishtar, you should come train with me today!" exclaimed her brother, excitement evident in his voice. The girl started and cast a cautious glance at her brother, afraid he would spill her secret to their mother.

The fact that she and Sibi had performed the ceremony together was not what would disappoint her family because they had not known each other then. It was the love they each harbored and the evening at Aphrodite's statue that would horrify them and disgrace them all.

"Oh, I'm much to busy today, Sir," she replied, her tone kind as she explained her chores for the day.

"Aw, you're always doing chores," he grumbled in reply, and Ummu laughed, her eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Your brother is right, Ishtar," their mother said, looking at her daughter. "You are one of my hardest working children, and you are entitled to some free time. Unfortunately, today isn't a good day for it, Sir. After the wedding, you and Ishtar can have a picnic and play together, okay?"

Ishtar swallowed, her hands shaking as she stirred the porridge. Sir noticed her actions and scowled before he cleared his expression and asked, "Ummu, is it a great dishonor to break a betrothal?"

The older woman laughed, staring at the boy, "Why, Sir, what makes you ask such a question? Of course it is a dishonor. When a couple and their parents enter into a betrothal agreement, they have given their word, and their word is binding. It is the difference between civilized people and savages; a man and a woman's word is sacred."

Ishtar's heart plummeted, tears swimming in her eyes. She loved Sibi so much that she physically ached when she was not near him, but how could she allow him to dishonor himself like that? Her mother was right. When word got out that he'd broken his betrothal, he would be a pariah in their community; no one would want to do business with him because they would not trust him to keep his word. Head bowed, she prayed for guidance and wisdom.

"But Ummu, what if one of the betrothed people truly loved someone else?" the boy pressed.

"Tush, what nonsense, Sir," their mother chortled. "Love grows after marriage, not before. Marriage is a business, and when both people are dedicated to the business, love grows. Now, stop your questions and have some breakfast."

Ishtar silently scooped some of the porridge into a bowl and gave it to her brother, just as Iva and Sibi entered the hearth room.

Back
Top Bottom