Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Sacred Ceremony (Phenom & ScarlettFever)

"I would like to purchase some land so that we have a home of our own to move into upon the eve of our wedding, to consummate our vows in our own bed," said the soldier, and Bau felt disappointment low in her belly. She desired her betrothed more than anyone she'd ever met.

They made plans to go to the bridal hut after breakfast, and she would pack a picnic lunch for them to enjoy so did not have to return to her parents' house. Then Sibi turned quiet and pensive.

"It is so rare to have moments of peace like this in the world of a soldier," he quietly confided. "Though taking moments like these for what they are may be boring to you, I cherish them to ground myself once more in my humanity."

"Do you think you will be content to be a farmer, Sibi, after such an exciting career in the military?" she asked, genuinely curious. As much as she liked the fact that her betrothed was famous for his exploits in battle, what good was a husband who wasn't home?

Sibi guided Bau over to a ledge, sitting down and patting the space next to him for her to join him. "Tell me more of you and your family. I am curious to know more of what you meant about Ishtar. Is she unwell? When did she have this miscarriage? Who was her lover? I only ask because I do not wish to come into my new family without being aware of a possible scandal I may be confronted with. Do you know why she fled from dinner so? Is there something so hideous about my presence that she would flee from me?"

The young woman's heart turned cold when he asked about her sister, and she replied, feigning concern over the girl, "Oh, poor Ishtar. I fear, dearest, that you may want to break our engagement when you hear about her, but let me assure you that my brothers and I, as well as my parents, do not suffer from the same afflictions as that...munus-kin*!* She wrinkled her pretty nose and then sighed dramatically, "It isn't really her fault, I suppose. After all, she has been through a lot. You see, a few years ago, she was--attacked by three men. They tore her clothes and...well, I won't go into details, Sibi. You understand, I am sure," she said, purposefully misleading the man. "My brother, her twin, Ea, died when he tried to stop them. Poor Ishtar was inconsolable after that. She has not been the same since," she said, weaving an element of truth into the tale.

"Six months ago, she went to the Temple of Aphrodite to perform the sacred ceremony, and she returned weeks later," Bau continued, getting into her story and swaying closer to her betrothed. She placed her hand on his thigh once again, stroking the inside. "Well, as you know, a woman who is not invited to perform the ceremony is not marriageable in our culture, so she told a wild tale of a handsome man who gave her two gold coins as tithe and invited her in the name of Mylitta. However, she could not produce the coins! Abum was furious with her when she claimed to lose the coins and smacked her soundly, I assure you. He is not negligent in his duties!"

Bau slid closer so that her full breasts rubbed against his arm, and she explained, "That is not the only lie Ishtar has been caught in, I assure you. The first month after she returned, she would disappear each day. When Ummu questioned her about it, she said she was praying in the gardens at Aphrodite's image." The woman paused, rolling her eyes at the claim that she knew to be true. "I suspect that she was meeting with her lover, though. A local widowed farmer expressed interest in wedding her last year, and when Ishtar returned from the temple, she was happy to have him pursue her. When my sister told my parents that she was pregnant, they assumed it was a gift from Aphrodite during the sacred ceremony, but I know the truth--it was the farmer's! She miscarried a couple months ago, and her lover was so upset that he stopped pursuing Ishtar. After all, he wanted a son! And a woman's duty as a wife is to give her husband children, and male children if possible."

"Tell me more of you and your dreams? What do you look for the future? Are you truly happy marrying me? Do I make your heart sing?" he asked, squeezing her hand.

Bau smiled, reaching her other hand up to his chest and splaying her hand across it. "I dream of a life with you, Sibi," she said seductively, her curvy body pressing against his. She opened the top two fastenings of her robe and revealed her breasts to him, the globes full and pale in the moonlight, for just as the last time they'd been in the garden, she wore no shift beneath her garment. She took his hand and pressed his palm against her chest, encouraging his fingers to curve around her breast. "Do you feel my heart, Sibi? It beats fast...for you."

-------------------------------

Ishtar quietly entered the garden through a rarely used path beside the olive grove. Her spirit was unquiet, but she wanted to be at peace about what the king of the gods, Marduck, decreed would be her life. She made her way to his shrine, but instead of knelling, she felt a sudden urge to walk a bit further and came across the shrines to Ishtar and her husband Ashur, the god of war and marriage. She knelt there and bowed, praying for Sibi and Bau to be happy in their lives and for her to be content with her own, as well.

-----------
*Munus-kin is the Babylonian word for "prostitute."

Last edited:
"Yes," Sibi replied without hesitation at her question. "I have given this long thought and consideration over the course of the past few weeks as I made my way back to you and your family to prepare for the wedding. I am tired, my betrothed. It does not hold the same thrill for me in battle as it once did. I have accomplished what I had always desired. I am known and I have a bit of wealth to buy my own land, start a farm or other business and pass the days bouncing babes on my knees."

His eyes grew cold at her description of their time at the temple and of how Ishtar could lie of her gift from him for her dowry. The coins suddenly felt heavier in his pouch and his fingers idly searched until they found the dented ones, twirling them slowly between his thumb and forefinger inside the pouch. He needed to return the coins to her, it was only fair. He just needed to figure out a way to separate himself from Bau, who even now was attempting to come on to him. He had not failed to notice how she attempted to twist the words of what happened to something darker, more sinister. If he had not known Ishtar as he did in the temple, if he had not felt her maidenhead be broken by him when they lay together among the sheets, he may have given credit to her words. Alas, he had and he did not. He was beginning to formulate an opinion that Bau was vindictive and for some reason, held an angry heart towards her sibling. Her words of the secret lover and the prayers at the temple had him confused, his mind trying to process the thought of her laying beneath another man, her pleasured cries carried on the wind.

He growled and pushed Bau away, tearing his hand from her grasp and the curve of her breast, putting space between them. "Yes! Yes, I feel your heart; but, please stop this, my betrothed! I have sworn to wait until the eve of our wedding to consummate our vows. If you cannot wait that long, then I do not know what to tell you. Perhaps seek the pleasures of your hand? I will not touch myself between now and then because when we do lay, I want to make sure that it is not a simple one time affair. I will aim to make it last well until morn. So, I urge you to patience that we might both be as eager for the other's touch. Now, I must walk to clear my mind."

He pushed away from her and turned, not bothering to look back. He knew she would be displeased; but, he did not care. His mind was consumed with what he did and did not know, the not knowing causing a painful ache in his chest. He could not bear to think of Ishtar laying with another man and his mind continued to try to date the time she miscarried with when they lay with one another in the temple of Aphrodite. He could not say for sure though without asking her, confirming her sister's words false. His feet, as if guided by fate, steered him toward the temple where the shrines of the god lay. He entered and was going to bow to pray for guidance on his predicament when he noticed a head of hair he could never forget, the memories of fingers curling through those same locks as she moaned above him, riding him to their mutual fulfillment.

"I am sorry," he said softly. "I did not know the temple was occupied. I will...I will come back later."

Bau's face flushed crimson when her betrothed rejected her offer, but when he said he wanted to make their wedding night last the entire night, his words acted as a balm to her seething heart. She let him walk away without arguing, and she left the garden. Angry and frustrated, she stalked toward the house and was surprised when her abum called out to her.

"A word, daughter," he said from behind her. She turned, more than a little confused to find him outside. Had he followed her.

"Yes, Abum?" she asked, schooling her voice to be gentle and modest.

"You are too forward, daughter," he said, his voice a censure of its own. "Sibi was correct in being abrupt with you. He is an honorable man, and you would do well to remember that. I am ashamed that you would cast yourself at him like a common harlot...in the Gardens of the Gods, no less!"

Bile rose in the woman's throat, and her she felt an unfamiliar feeling--shame--cover her. She lowered her head and said softly, her eyes stinging, "I am sorry, Abum." She sniffled, swallowing. "I will apologize to Sibi tomorrow."

"Be sure that you do, daughter," came his reply, much gentler this time. "No, off to bed. Do not wake your sister"

"Yes, Abum," she replied and quietly entered the house, trending softly to her bedroom, and entering quietly. Without looking at Ishtar's bed, she undressed and climbed into her pallet, letting the events of the day reply in her mind as she drifted to sleep.

--------------------------

Ishtar raised her head when she heard footsteps approaching, her body tightening nervously. She knew she shouldn't have come to the Garden of the Gods alone at night, but she'd needed to pray, and she felt too far away from the gods in her bedroom.

"I am sorry," came the voice that haunted her dreams. "I did not know the temple was occupied. I will...I will come back later."

"No, don't go," replied the girl, her voice soft and gentle. Praying had calmed her, and she felt better than she had in many weeks. "We are all free to worship the gods, and I am nearly finished." She bowed low before the image, kissing Ashur's feet, and then gracefully stood, her eyes meeting Sibi's.

"I...I am happy you are well, Sibi," she spoke, her gentle smile honest and shy. She swallowed, her eyes darting around as though seeking something to say. "Bau is lovely, isn't she? It is no wonder you wished to betroth yourself to her. I pray she will make you happy." Ishtar's voice caught on the last word, and she cleared her throat, nervously tucking a wayward strand of hair that slipped from her braid behind her ear.

The young woman turned back to the path and began walking toward the gate that led to the path home.

"Are you sure?" Sibi asked, hope surging in his chest as he turned to look at her. "I did not mean to interrupt your prayers this evening. I merely hoped to perhaps find some guidance myself through their wisdom as well. Yes, yes we are though what we do with the knowledge they provide us will always surprise."

He watched her brush a wayward strand of hair behind her ear and wanted nothing more than for it to be his fingers that were doing it; but, he wasn't sure how she would react to it, especially since she mentioned Bau. "I am not well, my Ishtar. I am not well at all. I had once thought that by marrying your sister I would eventually find happiness in having what I believed to have been the most beautiful woman in the village. I was blind and foolish at the time. It was only through meeting you and having known that there is a person for me, a other half to my soul, that I realized that I should have waited, the gods and goddesses would provide."

"She will not make me happy, wait!" He hurried to catch her, reaching out to grab her hand and pull her against his chest in the shadows of the gate. "I do not wish you to go, my woman. I know I am betrothed to another; but, I am trying to find a way to break off the engagement. I did not know I could love a woman as I do you, Ishtar. My heart stirs at the very sight of you, pounding strongly against my ribs and the ache I have felt when I could not find you after our time at the temple, there was a time I did not believe you real, a time I thought Aphrodite had conjured you as a spirit to soothe my own."

He slowly reached into his robe and slowly pulled out the veil he carried always. "Then I would lift this to my nose and inhale the scent of the woman I had known in the temple, the woman I love. I would remember the soft feel of your hair in my fingers, the way your passionate moans reverberated around the temple as we made what all humans desire, love."

"I had heard of your unfortunate...trial." He began, words suddenly hard to come by as he tried to broach the subject of what her sister had claimed. "Your sister...she told me that you had found another, a possible suitor? I am...happy that he did not continue his pursuit of you; but, I am sorry for the loss of your unborn child. I wish I could have found you sooner. I did not know where to begin to look though and so I searched until I was called back to war once more."

He reached up a callused thumb to rub against her cheek. "Would you still have me if I can find a way for us to be together? A way to do what I have promised?"

"I am not well, my Ishtar. I am not well at all," and cold dread filled the girl's heart. She breathed a slight sigh of relief when he continued, grateful he wasn't physically ill, "I had once thought that by marrying your sister I would eventually find happiness in having what I believed to have been the most beautiful woman in the village. I was blind and foolish at the time. It was only through meeting you and having known that there is a person for me, a other half to my soul, that I realized that I should have waited, the gods and goddesses would provide."

Ishtar's heart ached at his words, and she wanted to comfort him, but she remained silent as he spoke and pulled her against his chest.

"I do not wish you to go, my woman. I know I am betrothed to another; but, I am trying to find a way to break off the engagement. I did not know I could love a woman as I do you, Ishtar. My heart stirs at the very sight of you, pounding strongly against my ribs and the ache I have felt when I could not find you after our time at the temple, there was a time I did not believe you real, a time I thought Aphrodite had conjured you as a spirit to soothe my own."

He slowly reached into his robe and slowly pulled out the veil he carried always. "Then I would lift this to my nose and inhale the scent of the woman I had known in the temple, the woman I love. I would remember the soft feel of your hair in my fingers, the way your passionate moans reverberated around the temple as we made what all humans desire, love."

Tears swam in her mossy green eyes, and she allowed herself to lean against his chest, if only for a moment of selfish comfort. "I don't hate you or blame you, Sibi. You made a promise to another before you met me, and I understand that your honor will not allow you to break that promise."

"I had heard of your unfortunate...trial." He began, words suddenly hard to come by as he tried to broach the subject of what her sister had claimed. "Your sister...she told me that you had found another, a possible suitor? I am...happy that he did not continue his pursuit of you; but, I am sorry for the loss of your unborn child. I wish I could have found you sooner. I did not know where to begin to look though and so I searched until I was called back to war once more."

She winced when he brought up her miscarriage, suddenly angry with Bau for telling him about something that was her right, not her sister's, but for once, Bau was innocent because she did not know that her betrothed was the father of Ishtar's child. However, as the warrior spoke, she realized that her sister had misled him once again.

He reached up a callused thumb to rub against her cheek. "Would you still have me if I can find a way for us to be together? A way to do what I have promised?"

Ishtar pulled back from his tight embrace, despite a gnawing ache to throw her arms around him and beg him to take her far away from here and marry her that night, and looked him squarely in the eyes. "The suitor she spoke of. I told you about him, the widowed farmer who wants a wife to help raise his children and to produce a son for him," she reminded Sibi. "Yes, he did end his pursuit of me, but he did so because he though I was cursed rather than blessed."

The young woman took a deep breath and walked a few steps away, wrapping her arms around her middle as though to comfort herself. "The child I lost...was a Temple baby, Sibi." She closed her eyes and dashed away the tears that fell down her cheeks. "It was our baby, one we made together in the temple." Emotion thickened her voice, and she continued to speak, "I was so excited, Sibi. Even though I had lost you, I held out hope that the goddess would still allow me some of the love we shared with this child. I could give it all of the love I have...," she paused, and then continued, "...had for you. I promised the goddess to raise the babe to be strong and brave like his father, and I prayed that you would one day know that child." Her voice cracked on the last word.

"The night I miscarried, I was angry at...," she paused again, deciding not to speak of his betrothed, and changed her words, "I was upset about something and felt sharp pains. I cried for Ummu, and she was there, comforting me through it. It was...awful. I knew then that the goddess had not blessed me but had cursed me, and I didn't understand why. Not until tonight."

She turned to look at Sibi, her face impassive as she spoke, "I realized that I was cursed, just as the widower said, and it is because I performed the sacred ceremony with my sister's betrothed." Tears fell freely down her cheeks as she continued, "It doesn't matter what I want, Sibi. You made a promise to her first." She looked longingly into his beloved face and then turned and ran down the pathway to the house.

Last edited:
"My honor," he spit at the ground to show his disgust with the word...and himself. "My honor, such a proud and noble word. My honor should never have let me lay with you in the temple of Aphrodite while I was betrothed to another woman, regardless of whether or not you knew this. My honor should have not have allowed me to be persuaded to detour to the temple."

He curled his fingers into a fist and slammed it against his thigh repeatedly until a bruise formed, the skin turning dark. "I do not regret what I did, Ishtar. I do not hate what we had for it was glorious and the goddess herself wished us to know of her praise for the joy of our union. No, I am angry with myself because for all of my martial prowess, for all of my skill with the blade, I am powerless to escape this because of my honor. That very same word that should have prevented our ever having known each other."

"The child...the child was mine? was ours?" He could not hide his shock or the slowly growing happiness. "We created a life, my love. A life!"

He noticed then the hurt in her gaze, the way the memory was still tender even now. "Do not think those things, my love." He gently caressed her face between his hands, tracing the shape to memory. "You were not cursed. If anyone were to be cursed or were, it would have been me. You could not have known that I was betrothed to another woman, your sister. I was the only one who knew that truth. You were innocent!"

"Wait!" He chased after her, spinning her gently in his arms as they slowly circled around her, pinning her against his powerful body. "It does matter what you want, my woman. If you wished the moon of me, I would surely give it to you if you were but to ask. I would cross the river Styx to bring you back from Hades himself! I did not know you then, my queen; but, I know it now and I will never, never give up trying to find a way to break my engagement so that I can be with the woman I truly desire."

"Wait!" He chased after her, spinning her gently in his arms as they slowly circled around her, pinning her against his powerful body. "It does matter what you want, my woman. If you wished the moon of me, I would surely give it to you if you were but to ask. I would cross the river Styx to bring you back from Hades himself! I did not know you then, my queen; but, I know it now and I will never, never give up trying to find a way to break my engagement so that I can be with the woman I truly desire."

Her heart pounded in rhythm with the thundering of his heart, and his words were like music, pouring over her soul. She wanted so badly to believe his words, not that she questioned the truth of them, but she questioned the reality. As she inhaled his familiar scent, so imprinted in her heart, she felt as though Aphrodite herself took over her body in the next moment, for she slid her hand up his chest, caressing his skin as she did, her hand grasping the back of his neck, fingers sinking into his hair and skin, and she pulled his head down to hers, capturing his lips with a searing kiss, deepening it as soon as his mouth opened, and pouring out all of the love and desire and frustration and passion she'd been holding back for six months.

When they finally pulled back from the kiss, she stared deeply into his eyes, seeing the burning desire there that mirrored her own. She slipped her hand into his, and butterflies fluttered in her belly as he gripped it back. Without a word, she led him back into the garden and to the images of Aphrodite and Ashur, the goddess of love and the god of war. Ishtar tiptoed, lifting her shorter body up so that she could wrap both arms around the back of his neck, her fingers linking there, and she looked deeply into her warrior's eyes.

"Take me, Sibi," she pleaded, her voice turning husky with her arousal. "Let me again be loved by my warrior, as your woman." She raised her lips to his again, and her body pressed close, and the moon shone high above them and painted all below it with a silver hue.

Last edited:
Her touch ignited a fire under the skin of his chest as she trailed her hand up his chest, reigniting that spark that was always there, always for her. Then her lips were crashing against his, their need apparent and his arms curled around her middle, pulling her tight against him as her arms wrapped around his neck, her fingers teasing his neck and hair. He deepened the kiss, squeezing his arms slowly, insistently, as his tongue darted out to play against her lips, tempting her to open and then their tongues danced as they had so many moons ago beneath the temple of Aphrodite when she had given him a gift no other woman could, her innocence. He pulled back from the kiss, their hands finding each other and squeezing gently. He allowed himself to be led back into the garden.

"You only ever have to ask, my love." He silenced her pleading with another passionate, breath-stealing kiss, pulling back to inhale new oxygen deep into his lungs as he slid his hands down her back to her ass, cupping and squeezing it gently before gripping the fabric and slowly peeling it up and off her. "You will always be mine and I yours."

He stepped back, slipping out of his own robe and gently laying it on the ground before stepping back to her, his fingers sliding up and around into her hair as his lips found hers once more, tasting her. He slowly spun and lowered them slowly to the ground, moving his robe to serve as a makeshift bed on the dirt below. He slid a hand down along her belly to tease her clit, encouraging her to become wet for him once more before easing a finger inside and gently thrusting as he trailed kisses from her lips down to a nipple, taking it between his lips and gently sucking on it, his tongue swirling in slow circles. He rolled over on top of her, resting most of his weight on his forearms as he thrust his hardening manhood against her belly. He kissed her once more before shifting his hips and maneuvering himself with his hand until he felt the warmth of her folds and slowly eased himself back inside of her.

He lifted himself up to kiss her again as he began to slowly thrust himself in and out of her, his hands burying themselves in her hair and gently tugging to expose her throat so that he could nip and nibble along it. "I have missed you, my Ishtar, my woman."

"You will always be mine and I yours."

Her warrior's words branded her just as surely as if he'd held a smoldering rod to her skin, and she felt the possessive, warm heat of them sear her heart and soul, claiming her, owning her, and for the first time in months, the peace began to settle over her.

Naked in the sparkling moonlight, she watched Sibi as he undressed, laying his robe out on the dirt before moving back to her, kissing her. She returned his kiss with fervor, her body trembling as he touched her, her own hands sliding over his familiar form. He lowered her to lie on his robe, and she looked up at his beloved face, drinking thirstily to quench her drought-tired soul. She offered a soft gasp when he touched her sensitive nub, and arousal seeped from her womanhood, but instead of becoming shy, she slowly spread her legs, letting her lover know that she wanted more. He slid a finger inside of her, thrusting slowly as he trailed kisses down her body before taking a nipple between his lips and teasing it. She whimpered as sparks skated through her body, and she felt a low pull in her belly and the throb of her pulse. She clenched the muscles of her pussy, gripping his finger tightly, her body speaking of her need. And then he was over her, and his hard length poked at her belly, his mouth capturing hers in a deep kiss before he shifted his hips, his cock teasing at her entrance, and then he slowly sank into her heat.

Ishtar sighed a low, guttural sound as her body adjusted to accept his fullness inside of its tight embrace. Tears pricked her eyelids, and a smile of joy rested on her lips as she felt the wholeness and completeness that she'd never thought to experience again come to life. He lifted up, kissing her, and her kiss was frantic, desperate for him as she clutched at his back, her fingers gripping his skin and muscle. He buried his hands in her hair, and she shivered as his lips moved to her throat, kissing and nibbling her tender skin.

"I have missed you, my Ishtar, my woman," he growled, and she clenched her muscles tighter.

Heart pounding in her chest, she slid her silky legs against his, bending her knees and placing her feet firmly on the ground beneath them. He shifted deeper inside her snug channel, and she slid one leg over his hip, her foot caressing his lower back and ass.

"Show me, my warrior," she replied huskily. "Show me how much you missed me." She lowered her lips to his shoulder and neck, licking and sucking lightly, kissing her way up to his ear where she whispered, "Mark me, beloved. Use your cock and your teeth to brand me as your so that when I feel the soreness and see the mark, I remember."

Last edited:
"All you had to do was ask, my love." He teased as he felt her shift her position, her legs brushing against his before she raised her hips, allowing him to slide deeper inside of her warm, wet canal. "It would be my honor to show you just how much I missed you."

He found her neck again, his teeth nibbling along the soft skin of her throat before trailing them down to bite at the junction of flesh and bone where her throat and shoulder connected, leaving a visible mark, kissing the skin after. "You will be mine, my love. You will be mine, you will be mine and we will be together always. There is no force in this world or the next that can keep me from being with you forever and always, my love."

Then he set to accomplishing her second request. He would make sure that she was sore in the morning and could not even begin to think of forgetting him or his cock. She would be his and there would be no other cock or man that could ever hope to bring about the same reaction, the same feeling as what they shared right now. He slid his hands up and down the soft skin of her thighs, sliding them down to cup her ass, squeezing gently, as he began to fuck her. There could be no other word to describe the action as he began slow and gradually increased in rhythm until his balls slapped loudly against her ass. Then his hands were in her hair, tugging her hair roughly back as he bit and nibbled along the length of her throat and then his hands were gripping her tits, cupping and roughly squeezing them.

She would have her warrior this night.

He continued his rough thrusting until he felt the orgasm begin, starting at the base of his balls and then slowly building into a loud crescendo and then he was crashing against her, his cock buried deep as he came and saw stars. He held himself there until he slowly came down and then he gently rolled on to his side, running his hands up and down her back as he pulled her close, squeezing her against his side. He never wanted this night to end, never wanted to have to let her go. He ran his fingers through her hair as he shifted on to his back, cradling her against his armpit as he gazed upon the stars.

"Do you ever imagine what life would be like?" He mused, fingers teasing a stray strand behind her ear. "If we were able to choose our own fates?"

Ishtar's body pulsed as he kissed and nibbled on her neck, making his way down to the spot where her throat and shoulder met, and she released a decadent gasp and gurgle of pleasure when his teeth sank into her skin, his lips sucking it after, kissing the mark. Her pussy quivered around his cock, rippling and gripping him tightly.

"You will be mine, my love. You will be mine, you will be mine and we will be together always. There is no force in this world or the next that can keep me from being with you forever and always, my love."

Her heart surged, and she whispered out softly, "Yes, beloved," her hands sliding over his torso, her feet digging into his lower back as she raised her hips. She felt his hands slide up and down her thighs, cupping her bottom and squeezing, and then he began to move, thrusting his thick member into her needy cavern. He began slow, with long, thrusts meant to stretch her, open her to his loving, and then he moved quickly, hard and deep, impaling her womanhood on his cock, her muscles undulating, gripping him with each powerful thrust until only the sounds of their moans and sighs and his flesh slapping against hers could be heard in the silent garden.

The woman groaned as her warrior slid his fingers into her hair, tugging the long tresses roughly until her throat was bared to him. Her body trembled as Sibi took her the way a warrior takes his woman, owning her, nipping and sucking her tender flesh, groping her full breasts, pinching and squeezing them until she was a mass of energy, her soul bouncing within her and seething with fire. Over and over he pounded into her wet heat, her body throbbing as she danced a dance as old as humanity, one of love and desire, need and desperation. She nipped his shoulder, leaving rasping scratches on his skin, wanting to mark him as surely as he marked her. She sank her heels into his ass, her pussy clamping tightly around his cock, and then she felt it. Fire began to jet through her veins, and her breath came out in shallow gasps as she sunk her fingernails into his back, her body arching, head falling back, and she cried out her ecstasy, her voice shooting through the night sky, a cry of love and joy as she'd never felt before.

Time seemed to crawl, and slowly, her body relaxed, and her breathing returned to normal. Sibi, gently rolled onto his side, caressing her back as he held her close against his side. She let out a gentle sigh of contentment, pressing a kiss against his skin, and in that moment, she was complete.

After some time, Sibi asked, "Do you ever imagine what life would be like?" He mused, fingers teasing a stray strand behind her ear. "If we were able to choose our own fates?"

Ishtar took her time to answer, considering his words carefully. Finally, she spoke out, "I believe we chart our own destiny, although the gods decide which paths to present us," she said simply. It is like two paths on a road, and one must choose. Either path is what fate has decreed because they are available to you, but still you must choose."

She leaned on her elbow like that night in the temple, but instead of feeding her warrior grapes, she pressed her own sweet lips against his then stroked his cheek with her fingers. "I imagine us, Sibi. You, me, our babe." She grasped his hand in hers and drew his palm to her face, kissing it.

"It is late, beloved," she reluctantly murmured, pulling her robe over her head and covering her nakedness. She decided to carry her shift. Before she stood, she kissed him again. "Goodnight."

Last edited:
"Yes," he agreed softly, watching as the lights in the night sky twinkled, a shooting star shooting by. "But what if the gods did not present us with paths, what if we were allowed to make our own choice of the paths we must choose between? What if we did not have to try to wonder if someone was tugging on our strings, encouraging us to pick between this or that. What if we could just live."

He chuckled, fingers running softly through her hair. "Perhaps I am becoming too sentimental because of our passionate lovemaking, perhaps my head has been filled with clouds."

"You, me, our babe?" His eyes widened, his arms tightening around her as he pulled her closer against his chest. "You mean you would try to have another child with me? You would want to take the chance it may not happen on the first, second or even third time and would continue to keep trying until we did succeed?"

He frowned as she slowly rose and clothed herself in her robe, her shift in her arms, returning her kiss before he too slowly rose to his own feet. "Why do you leave, beloved?"

His words fell flat against her retreating back and he solemnly gathered together his own belongings, trudging his own way back towards the house and the bachelor's hut where he and Iva stayed. He had not wanted to leave things like they were when his beloved had left him for the night; but, he could understand her desire to have her own space as she tried to sort out her own emotions and feelings. He too had work himself to do, in trying to extricate himself from the situation he found himself in. He had to determine how and when he was going to break off his engagement to his current betrothed and set about making things right with his true love. He just wasn't sure how and his mind was filled with countless thoughts, possibilities and dilemmas as he lay on his mat in Iva's hut, trying to sleep. Sleep, however would not come.

Morning came and he blinked wearily, exhaustion permeating through every pore of his body. He skipped breakfast, heading straight for the bridal hut. If sleep would not come, then he would distract his body and mind with hard, manual labor. He would make it come so that he could go without entertaining Bau today. He was in no mood to hear more of her slights against the true woman he loved nor deal with her sexual advances. He found the necessary materials to repair the roof waiting near the hut and climbed the stout, wooden ladder and began work. He busied himself with repairing the roof and did not allow his mind to think on anything other than the task before him. He may not have been a genius or the most gifted intellectually; but, if he focused himself on the tasks before him one at a time, he usually found the answers he sought. The others surely had to be up and gathering for the morning meal when he paused to rest, the top of his robe tied around his middle and sweat glistening on his muscled form, his scars evident. The newly earned one on his arm burned as the salty drops of sweat brushed against it and he welcomed the pain as yet another distraction.

What am I going to do? He mused

"Ishtar! Get up you lazy girl!" grumbled her sister's voice before she mercifully left the room. The young woman yawned, stretching, feeling more relaxed than she'd felt in a long time. Blushing at her boldness, she remembered the way she'd begged Sibi to take her roughly, but she didn't regret it. Last night had been beautiful, perfect, and he'd helped heal some of the wounds she'd carried in her heart these last months. Rising from her pallet, she winced. She was sore this morning, just as she'd asked to be. Her cheeks heated, and she pulled open her night gown, looking down at her slender body. Her warrior had marked her, alright. Her body bore his love bites like badges of honor, and she felt her womanhood tingle at the memories that came to her.

In the distance, she heard her mother and sister preparing the morning meal, and she hurried to cleanse herself and dress. When she finished braiding her hair into a neat plait, she rushed to the hearth room to help.

"You slept late, daughter, are you unwell?" asked Ummu, looking at Ishtar with concern.

"No, Ummu," she replied, her voice lighter than it had been in weeks. "I must have been overtired, but I feel wonderful this morning."

Bau eyed her suspiciously but said nothing, and the trio carried breakfast into the big room, and Ishtar immediately noticed that Sibi was not present. They placed the serving bowls on the table and sat in the same spots as the night before, and a kind of unease settled over the girl.

"Iva, where is my betrothed?" asked Bau, looking at their older brother.

"He left my quarters as I was rising," he replied, biting into an apple. "He said something about repairing a leaky roof."

"Oh, yes," Bau said, smiling knowingly. "We are to work on the bridal hut today. He must have wanted an early start."

Ishtar felt a pit in her stomach at the words. Despite everything, the betrothal evidently was continuing if Sibi were working on the bridal hut he was to share with her sister. She immediately chastised herself for thinking so disloyally about her warrior. After all, the sun had only just risen, and he had not had time to speak to their father. Calmer, she ate her breakfast in silence as the family chatted around her, only to listen when she heard her name.

"Yes, of course, Bau," said their ummu, placing fruit and bread into a light sack. "Take this to Sibi, for he is certain to be hungry, having begun his labor before the dawn. Ishtar can take a picnic lunch to you later this morning."

Ishtar's eyes flew open at this, and her sister rose, gathering the bag from their mother and hugging the woman.

"Thank you, Ummu," she said, leaving the house in a flurry of movement.

"I will begin cleaning up, Ummu," said Ishtar, rising and picking up empty plates and bowls. She carried them to a large tub and poured hot water from the fire over it then began scrubbing. She had housework to do, and she wanted to do nothing but throw herself into the work.

---------------------------

Bau had dressed in one of her nicer robes, a pale pink that caught the color of her cheeks. This particular garment had been much admired by the local girls, and many young men had told her how fetching she appeared wearing it. She hoped Sibi thought she looked pretty, and she walked quickly toward the far end of her father's land, hearing the dull thud of her betrothed's hammer as it nailed new wood on the roof of the hut.

"Sibi, I have breakfast for you," she called when she arrived, spreading a blanket on the ground and placing the food on top of it. She sat on the edge of the blanket, smiling expectantly at the man as he climbed from the roof.

Last edited:
"Thank you," Sibi called down from the roof, setting the hammer down gently beside the progress he had made. "I appreciate you bringing breakfast to me, my betrothed."

He carefully climbed down from the ladder and lowered himself to sit cross-legged next to her, ignoring her completely as he began to pick and nibble at the food presented. He was ravenous, a thought that surprised him, his body craving sustenance to refuel all of the energy he burned. He regretted skipping breakfast; but, he was worried about facing Ishtar and Bau after last night. He felt no guilt or remorse for their passionate lovemaking and he would eagerly do it again and again; but, he was supposed to marry her sister. He needed to figure out a way out of this mess he had brought down on himself. He just wished he could approach their father, explain that he had made a mistake and wished to marry his other daughter. He needed to talk to Iva, to get him to help him figure out what to do, he was always smarter and better when it came to making smart decisions.

He realized it was impolite to ignore his 'betrothed' and he turned, flashing her a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Good morning, my betrothed. You are looking lovely this morning."

"Will Iva be busy today?" He continued, scratching at the stubble on his chin and rubbing idly at his scar. "I was hoping to talk with my swordbrother about the upcoming wedding arrangements and work with him to determine who all of our other brothers to invite to the festivities."

He finished his meal with Bau and climbed the ladder, busying himself with the repairs once more and having fulfilled his duties of acknowledging his betrothed, he remained mute as he worked. He could only imagine how that would come across to his betrothed; but, he really didn't care right now. He was enjoying the lack of thought the hard manual labor required and the dexterity he had to exhibit to make sure the wood was placed securely before hammering the nail in. Finishing several hours later, he climbed down, ignored Bau completely and headed for the nearby stream to bathe. He stripped out of his robe and tunic, leaving them resting on a nearby bush. He was unaware that the veil had shifted as he disrobed and the wind snagged it as he dove into the water and carried it till it caught on another branch of a bush slightly downhill, out of sight. The water felt lovely and soothing on his burned skin, easing the ache of the sun's harsh rays. He climbed out when he felt himself beginning to slip towards sleep, the exhaustion of the day and the lack of sleep the night before catching up to him.

He carefully dressed, patting the space where the veil was but not able to sense the lack of its presence, begins the trek back to the house and his future siblings, Iva in particular. He eventually finds the brother cleaning his sword in the bachelor's hut and he ducks to enter, sitting down across from him. "Iva, we need to talk."

"What of brother? Nervous about the wedding?" Iva flashed his warrior friend a grin and gently punched his arm. "Come on, things cannot be so glum, talk to your brother-in-law. I will sort these out for you."

Sibi was glad to hear his old friend's desire to help; but, his tongue felt heavy and thick in his mouth, the words slow to come. "I am in a predicament, my brother. I had proposed to your sister when I met her, thinking I knew I had found what I had thought I was seeking. Recently though, I have come to realize that I did not know what I truly wanted until I had experienced it several months ago. I met someone and they stole my heart. My honor has me confused on what to do. Help?"

"You would dare say this to me?" Iva growled, rising to his feet, his face darkening in anger. "So close to your wedding day? Why have you waited till now?"

Sibi rose, hands lifted in a placating gesture. "Peace! It was not something I take lightly, my brother. I am coming to you because I do not wish to harm anyone."

"Good, we are on the same page brother." Iva fell to the floor with a grunt and tapped his chin, thinking. "Why do you feel you love this woman?"

Sibi's face lit up and he could not hide the grin that stretched across his features as he answered. "She lights up my world. She is the moon to my sun, she is the wind to my trees. I do not see physical beauty solely in her. She is kind of spirit and sound of mind. She is the balance to my chaos. I need her in ways I have never needed another woman and no matter how many times I touch, see or taste her, it is never enough."

"Enough brother, enough!" Iva replied with a grin. "I can tell you really love this woman. Do I know her?"

Sibi's face fell and he scratched at his scalp. "I do not know if I can tell you, brother. It is not my place. You may know of her; but, it will not matter if we do not take care of this betrothal to Bau. How do I remove myself from this imprisonment I find myself in? My honor will not let me simply cut all ties and I do not know what to do! I do not desire the touch of her nor to touch her as she wishes. I desire to be a part of your family, for you have treated me well and yet, I do not know what to do about this woman I have fallen for."

There was a loud smack that stunned Sibi into silence and his hand rose reflexively to nurse the tender spot where Iva's hand had connected with enough force to bruise. "Good, I have your attention again brother. We will figure this out together. Now sit and tell me the story, do not worry about the name, it will come in time if I know you."

So Sibi relaxed and did.

Last edited:
"Be sure to tell your brother that he and Sibi must send the invitations to their blade brothers at once, and do it quickly!" instructed the woman.

"Yes, Ummu," he replied, kissing her cheek and carefully carrying the heavy box toward Iva's bachelor quarters, his 10-year-old muscles straining with the weight of his responsibility. He gripped the wooden box tighter, wondering what could possibly be in it. His mother said its contents were what Iva and Sibi would need for the wedding, but that hadn't answered his question. He began to imagine what could possibly be so heavy, and his imagination ran away with him, conjuring up all sorts of fantastic objects until he remembered that the bride in question was Bau, then he scrunched his face and dropped the box outside Iva's quarters, shaking his tired arms to get his blood flowing again. Through the open window, he heard his brother and Sibi talking, and Sir decided to take a break so that he could carry the box inside without struggling, wanting to impress the warriors. Instead, he sat on the box, listening to their words.

----------------------------------------
While Sibi ate his breakfast, Bau attempted to make small talk with her betrothed, at first flirting, then asking questions about his childhood, and finally trying to get him to tell her about his scars that were visible in the bright sun. However, he was focused on only his breakfast, and she ceased her chatter, confused by his behavior. He acted as though he didn't want to be around her, so different from that week they'd spent together so long ago. When Sibi finished eating, he rose from the blanket and asked if her brother were busy, and then he nodded before climbing to the roof again.

Disappointed, the woman picked up the blanket and tucked it into the sack and then went inside the bridal hut and began scrubbing. Thankfully, the grime was not as thick as it could have been since her eldest brother had married only a couple of years before. She cleaned tables and chairs, swept, and beat the ticking in the mattress, all while listening to the thump of the hammer and Sibi's footsteps on the roof. She'd emptied yet another crock of water and returned from the river with it refilled when she noticed that she no longer heard her betrothed. She looked around, but he was not to be found, and she angrily placed the pot of water on a table and scowled. She'd wanted to spend some time with him alone in the hut, perhaps enticing him to test out the pallet with her, but at least spending time together to plan their future. Frustrated and disappointed, she scrubbed furiously at a spot that refused to lighten until it disappeared. Most of her anger spent, she dipped the cloth into the water again and turned her gaze toward the open door. From a distance, she saw Ishtar heading toward the hut with a basket--their lunch.

As though something possessed her, Bau pulled her hair free from its modest braid and ruffled it with her hands until it appeared wild and windswept, spurred by the desire to humiliate her virginal sister. She unfastened her robe and tossed it in the middle of the floor and headed toward the bedroom, flinging sheets onto the pallet as she slipped out of her shift and sandals. Completely nude, she picked up one of the blankets and slid beneath it, pulling it up to where it barely covered her nipples, and she sat, waiting.

Ishtar's nervousness grew with each step she took toward the bridal hut. I'll just give the basket to Bau and leave, she told herself, nodding at the wisdom of her decision. If she tarried too long, her sister might notice her looking at Sibi longer than she should or become angry that she interrupted their luncheon. Her brow wrinkled as she grew closer, though, for she did not hear the sound of hammer and nails, nor did she see movement around the hut.

She approached the door and knocked gently, but Bau did not respond, so she entered the hut and placed the basket on a table where a crock of filthy water sat. Thinking to help her sister, she lifted the crock, its heaviness scraping against the table with a loud squeal until she had a grip on it. And then her sister entered the room.

"Darling, is that you making all that noise?" giggled Bau, sauntering through the doorway, her dewy skin visible above the thin sheet she held against her breasts, her curvy body barely concealed by the cloth. Her hair was rumpled and wild, evidence of her exertion, and she had a seductive smile on her face that dropped when she noticed her sister. "Oh, you," she said, disdain in her voice as she pulled the sheet around her body, holding It more modestly than she had moments before.

Ishtar's heart crumbled to her feet, shattered...no, it was the pot of water. Grateful for the distraction, she bent to pick up the pieces of the jar, apologizing to Bau for intruding. "I'm sorry, sister. I will clean this quickly and leave," she stumbled rushing her words and her movements. She wanted to leave before Sibi returned from wherever he'd gone. Her hands trembled, and she dropped the pieces multiple times before she'd finally gathered them into a cloth and knotted it. She picked up a broom and swept the remnants of water out of the hut.

Her sister snorted in derisive laughter, "Oh, Ishtar, you needn't act so shocked! After all, you've performed the sacred ceremony with your priest. You know what this is." The older girl laughed, seeming to enjoy her sister's flustered state and continued, "Don't be embarrassed, little sister. After all, Sibi and I will be married in less than two weeks. How wonderful would it be if I should give him a son soon after the wedding?"

No, Ishtar thought, I was right the first time. My heart is in pieces on the floor. She did not respond to her sister's taunts and descriptions of her desire to see him hold their child in his arms.

"And what magnificent arms they are," Bau continued, sighing and closing her eyes, sliding her hands over her own arms as though imitating her lover's movements just moments before. "Despite the scars, he's so handsome. Why there is one scar, a half-crescent one above his left nipple, that is really ferocious," she continued, making up a tale about how he received that one when he was fighting invaders from the north.

Ishtar winced, knowing well the scar of which she spoke, for just last night, her fingertips had traced it, and in the temple, she had kissed and licked it until it was seared into her memory. She hurried to finish her work and picked up the bundle of broken pottery.

"I will go before your betrothed returns, sister," the girl said, peering out the door, desperate to escape. "Lunch is in the basket." Without another word, she left, her feet feeling like sandals made of lead.

-------------------------------------

Sir listened to the story that Sibi told his brother, wondering if such a woman really existed. She sounded like stories of the goddesses his mother and Ishtar told him at bedtime. Could any woman be so kind, so gentle, so loving as the one the warrior described? Certainly not Bau. He snorted. No wonder Sibi wanted to end his betrothal to her. She was not kind at all, and she only was gentle when she wanted to impress someone. Even though he wanted the warrior to be his brother, he didn't blame the man for wanting to marry the other woman instead. He would want that, too.

Tired of talk of such things, though, Sir lifted the box and hollered out, "Iva! I have the box of wedding things from Ummu! Open the door, please. It's heavy!"

Last edited:
Sibi spared details he did not think Iva deserved to know, regardless of being the brother of the woman involved in his story. He told enough details to give background to why he believed himself to be in such a dilemma. Iva, for his part, did well to simply listen, doing little more than asking a question here or probing for more details there. Sibi, appreciative of his respectful ear, told what little he could about the whole affair. Several hours later as the sun had slowly begun to lower on the far horizon, Sibi finished his tale.

"I appreciate you telling me this, my brother." Iva began, reaching over to squeeze his brother's bicep. "You could have spoken with anyone and you chose me. I am honored. I am going to tell you something you will not like to hear; but, I wish for you to respect my wish and I will do what I can to help you free yourself of the engagement to my sister, Bau. You need to continue to act as if everything is fine between you and her. Show enough interest to be respectful of her being your betrothed; but, you do not have to take it farther than you wished, you draw the line in the sand.

Sibi was about to voice his complaint to the request when Iva raised a finger and pressed it to the warrior's lips, effectively muting him. "You will listen and you will do well to think on this. You have proposed an engagement to one woman; but, you have been carrying feelings for another. This is not fair to either woman. You must make a decision on who you wish to go with. I have a feeling I know the answer to this question; but, do you? Do you truly know what you want, really?"

Sibi remained mute and Iva nodded, understanding well that he was asking a lot of his best friend and brother. It was not an easy predicament to find yourself in and he pitied the warrior, a man of action and not the tact that this required. He had promised he would do his best to help his old friend despite the unbridled excitement he had felt about being brothers not only of the sword but of blood as well; but, his brother's happiness came first. He loved his sister, he did; but, she was not the sort for most men with her fickle obsession with beauty of the skin. He had remembered the surprise and confusion when his brother had came to him, had told him that Bau would be the woman to tame his wild, warrior ways. Iva remembered fondly, the laughter the two had shared when he had informed his old friend of his slim chances. Who else but him would be surprised when his sister agreed! He had been ecstatic then, his brother would become blood and all would be right with the world. Now though, it seemed fate had other plans for them.

Iva turned quickly at the sound of Sir's young voice and rose to open the door, taking the heavy box and lifting it with ease and shifting it to his hip before holding the door open for Sir to enter. "Come in, Sir."

"What did you hear of our conversation?" Iva began, ruffling his younger brother's hair before pulling him to sit on his lap. "You did not hear things you were not supposed to?"

Sir squirmed when his brother put him on his lap, scowling as the man ruffled his hair. Iva treated him like a little kid, and he was 10! It was time his brother learned that he was nearly a man and shouldn't be treated like a child. He pushed off of Iva's lap and ignored his brother's question, turning to the warrior he so admired.

"Well, I think Iva's wrong!" he retorted. "The temple woman sounds like much better than stupid old Bau. She isn't kind to anyone, except you, and she's mean and looks at her face too much. You should marry the woman you met at the temple. She sounds like she'd be a lot more fun to spend time with because when you're married, you have to be with your wife a lot more than you will be with your friends!"

"Sir!" Iva scolded, grabbing the boy's arm. "You should not speak of things you do not understand."

"Maybe I don't understand everything, but I understand that I like some people and don't like others," he retorted, yanking his arm from his brother's grasp and loping toward the door. "I wouldn't marry just any old girl. I'd want her to be nice to me and know how to cook my favorite foods and like to play my favorite games. All Bau likes to do it cast her eyes at the village men and gossip with her friends. She's dull."

Without another word, the boy ran out of the house, knowing that he'd angered his brother but not caring. He ran fast and hard until he reached the edge of the village where his friends congregated each day to play.

------------------------------------------------

When she returned to the house, Ummu called to Ishtar to help her begin sewing Bau's bridal robes. The young woman dutifully sat beside her mother in the sunlight, stitching careful stitches in the elegant fabric Bau had chosen. It was lovely pale pink and would contrast beautifully against her silky skin and blue eyes. While they worked, her mother chattered about how she hoped Sibi purchased a farm near their's so that Bau would not be far, but Ishtar paid little attention to the woman's words, her mind replaying the scene in the bridal hut. She'd been so happy that morning, her body still stiff and sore from her night with her warrior, but his words seemed spoken lightly since he seemed to have had no problems making love to her sister just hours later.

"Ummu! I'm hungry!" called Sir from another room. The older woman sighed and started to put her sewing aside, but Ishtar stood in her stead, glad of an excuse to do something else. "Let me, Ummu," she said simply. Her mother smiled her thanks, and the girl went into the hearth room to meet her little brother.

"Hello, Ishtar, I'm hungry," he repeated, sitting dejectedly at a small table in the corner of the room.

The young woman laughed, brushing her cool lips against his forehead and said, "Would you like an apple or perhaps a bread with apple preserves?"

"Bread and preserves, please," he replied, grinning at her. He watched her put the snack together, and his forehead wrinkled in concentration. "Ishtar, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, brother."

"Why is Bau so mean to you?" he asked, his brown eyes wide as he looked at his sister.

Ishtar sighed and pulled up a chair to sit beside him. "I suppose it is her way, Sir," she replied, saddened that her little brother had witnessed the hatred that their older sister carried toward her.

"Has she always been so?"

His questioned niggled at something in the recesses of her mind, and she thought back to years before. She'd been climbing one of the olive trees, which her mother had forbidden her to do because it was not appropriate for a girl, and she fell to the ground with a hard thud and scraped her foot. Bau had run to her side, helping her to the cool water of the stream and bathed her tender foot, applying salve, and wrapping it with a cloth. A gentle smile formed on Ishtar's lips and she looked at Sir.

"No, she was not always this way, brother."

"Why did she change?"

Ishtar considered his question, thinking about the horror her sister had endured at the hand of a local man when she was but a 14, how their father had found her naked and bare, her blood stains on her clothing. She swallowed, realizing that after that, her sister had withdrawn from her, ignoring her, but she was still not outright hateful. The girl shook her head, unable to figure out the cause.

"Sometimes, Sir, when bad things happen in life, we become so hurt by them that we lash out at people who love us, and we mistreat them," she said simply.

"But did you do the bad things to her, Ishtar?" he asked, and the girl's heart stuttered, remembering that just last night, she had lain her in the arms of her sister's betrothed. Bile rose in her throat, and she stood, tucking the chair in.

"Go on outside, brother," she said softly, returning to her mother and the wedding gown. "I have things to do."

"Do not be too angry with him, brother." Sibi chastised as he saw the brief flash of anger in Iva's gaze. "He is young, he speaks his mind."

Iva continued to glare for several moments before bursting into laughter. "I am not angry brother! Children do what many of us must be schooled in, speaking our minds. They do not see the need to filter their thoughts or hide their opinions, they bare them for all to see!"

"He is a good child," Sibi replied with a soft smile. "I would love to have you both as brothers in blood."

Iva reached over to pat the large warrior on the forearm. "Do not lose hope yet, my brother. Remember, for all appearances, the engagement must remain on for now while I see what I can do to sway father to agree to your breaking the engagement. You will have to have patience, father is a stubborn man, his head often full of the old ways. Now, you must be off, you have appearances to keep and you cannot hide from her forever, my brother, she will find you."

Chastened and dismissed, Sibi shook his brother's forearm once more, offering words of thanks as he rose to his feet and exited the hut. He was not looking forward to finding Bau; but, he knew that he had to keep appearances for now to keep her off the scent of his attempt to break off the engagement. He figured the best place to begin the search for his betrothed was to start where he had left her earlier that day. He made his way back up the path to the bridal hut, trying to think of how to explain his earlier behavior of ignoring her that morning that would not sound forced or hard to believe. He finally settled on the excuse of the sun wearing on him from his early morning work without food.

"My betrothed," he called out as he entered the bridal hut, seeing the nearby basket of food and removing a grape, munching on it. "I have returned."

Bau laughed when her sister turned and practically fled from the bridal hut, watching the younger woman as she took a path that led to the main house. She so enjoyed making Ishtar uncomfortable. Perhaps she had been a tad cruel to subject her sister to such embarrassment as having walked in on a woman right after she'd been with her lover, but the stricken expression was irreplaceable.

The beauty held the sheet tightly and reached into the basket, nibbling on grapes and cheese, eyeing the prepared luncheon. Despite her sister's inexperience with sex, she did know how to prepare a decent meal. It was too bad that Sibi had left and was not there to share it with her. Sighing, she pondered his strange behavior during the last two days. Surely he was happy with their betrothal. After all, she was still beautiful, despite the years since they'd seen one another, and he'd pursued her last time. She smoothed the skin on her face, wishing she had a reflection piece, and then ran her fingers through her long, wild hair, wondering at her betrothed's strange behavior. She giggled, Ishtar's horrified visage floating into her mind, and she picked up her robe off of the floor and drifted to the back room.

The woman shook her robe out and laid it flat on the pallet and then picked up her shift, studying it. She hadn't worn one of these in years, except during her monthly courses, she mused. It was a garment that little girls and prudes wore, and she enjoyed the touch of her robe's fabric against her bare skin, knowing that if one stay did not remain tight, she would be baring her supple flesh to anyone's view. Bau had worn it today because of Sibi's strange behavior the night before, so different from their other meeting in the moonlit garden. She closed her eyes, remembering as she dropped the shift and let her fingers roam her soft skin. She unhooked the sheet, letting it flutter to the floor, and she ran the pads of her fingers over her full breasts, remembering Sibi's calloused touches there, his hand large and firm, gripping the full globes, squeezing. She felt her nipples harden, and she touched them, remembering his touches, his light pinches there that had caused sensations to shoot straight to her pussy. She pinched her own, and she felt her arousal throbbing low within her belly. And then she remembered his dark head lowering to nuzzle the soft pillows of her breasts, and a whimper pushed through her lips, her hands rubbing and flicking her nipples, caressing her supple skin at the memory of his mouth wrapping around one hardened nub, sucking it while he looked at her face with mischievous eyes. She'd seen fire flickering there, and she'd felt an answering flame ignite within her, felt arousal seeping between her legs. She'd never known such desire, not in the temple during her sacred ceremony, and certainly not when her virginity had been ruthlessly stolen from her all those years ago. She pushed the painful memory aside, focusing on the memory of her betrothed and his gentleness, his suckling at her breast, her skin flushed with her arousal. She'd never wanted anyone as she'd wanted him, and that had only multiplied when he'd gently pulled away and brought her robe up and around her shoulders, helping her fasten the stays again with promises to speak to her father about marrying her before they went any further. In that moment she knew...she loved him. She loved that he was gentle with her and didn't force her, that he considered her worth going to her father before giving in to their desires.

"My betrothed," she heard, and her eyes blinked, Sibi's voice bringing her out of her heated reverie. "I have returned."

Bau gasped, pulling the sheet up around her body and holding it over her breasts, the thin fabric doing little to hide her figure and dark, hard nipples from view. She bit her bottom lip, debating inwardly before she shook out her wild, blonde hair and called out in a breathless voice, "In here, my betrothed."

--------------------------------------

Iva pondered his friend's confession as he helped his father check on the barley and wheat crops. The plants were beginning to push through the fertile soil, and if the god Ninurta continued to bless them with favorable weather, then they would have a prosperous year. He hoped that this knowledge would make his father receptive to Sibi's desire to end the betrothal.

The young man sighed, shaking his head as he worked. Ending a betrothal was not a common occurrence and only slightly less scandalous than a divorce. He knew his father was a fair man, but his primary concern was for his daughter's well being. Her betrothal was common knowledge in the community. When word got out that her betrothed had cast her aside, people would wonder what was wrong with her. Women always received the brunt of the blame in their world. The best thing to do would be to find a suitor for Bau, but who? Iva walked a few steps further and squatted, studying the plants for disease and bugs.

His mind drifted to the incredible story that Sibi had told him, about meeting a shy young woman at the temple of Aphrodite, inviting her to perform the sacred ceremony, and falling in love with her beautiful spirit and grace that night. He was torn, part of him angry that Sibi would seek to satisfy his lusts with a temple virgin when he was betrothed to another, even though it was common practice for some. As a matter of fact, he knew several married men who frequented the temple, a practice deemed acceptable to the priests there. Yet part of him was intrigued by how quickly Sibi had fallen in love with the temple woman. He'd spoken of her as though she were sacred, and his anguish when he described how he had searched for her had touched the hardened warrior's heart. He wondered if he would ever find a woman like that for himself, laughing ruefully at the silly girls he knew from the village. Perhaps he should seek his own temple virgin soon.

Sir lay on his back, staring up at the branches of the olive tree and threw his ball upward then catching it when it pummeled down to earth. Over and over he repeated this pattern, his mind on what Ishtar had told him. Even if Bau had been through a bad time; that didn't mean she should treat people the way she did. He knew a lot of people who had bad things happen, but they still were nice. He ticked off names as though making a list: Anshar broke his leg, Nabonahid's favorite donkey died, Mili-Sihu's house burned down...well, maybe that one didn't count since Mili-Sihu moved away, and he didn't know if the boy had become bitter. Who else had bad things happen...his eyes widening. Ea! His brother. Ea died, and his parents and brothers and he were still nice. And poor Ishtar, she was closer to Ea than anyone. He'd died in front of her. She had been so sad when her twin died, but even when she was grieving, she still was kind and gentle. Come to think of it, Ishtar was a lot like the woman that Sibi described from the temple.

The boy grinned, his imagination running ahead of him. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Sibi married Ishtar instead of Bau? Then he would love her like he loved his temple woman, he wouldn't have to be married to that old Bau, and Sibi would still be his brother!

Sir jumped to his feet, grasping a fallen branch, and began to brandish it about, thrusting and parrying as though in battle.

Ishtar sat back, rubbing her eyes, tired of working on the tiny stitches for her sister's wedding gown. "Ummu, may I be excused to start dinner?" she asked, hoping for a reprieve. The woman nodded and the girl stood, stretching her tired, sore muscles, and made her way into the hearth room. She began seasoning meat and boiling water in preparation, and soon, the room was filled with the aroma of delicious spices.

Fanning her face, she opened the door for a cross breeze, hoping the hot room would cool. She would have preferred to cook over the outdoor pit, but since her father was working on it to enlarge it for the wedding feast cooking, she had to use the indoor. Glancing around to make certain no one was nearby, she unfastened the first two stays of her robe, baring her lower neck and upper chest, letting the cool breeze touch her skin. She walked to the cistern and dipped a cup into it, drinking heavily from the cool liquid before refilling the cup and returning to the hearth room. There, she dipped a cloth into the water before running it over the back of her neck, closing her eyes, and praying for wisdom.

"What is that?" asked the curious voice of her little brother. Ishtar automatically smiled, opening her eyes to see what he was talking about, expecting a strange bug or rodent to be nearby. Instead, he stared at her with big eyes, a scared expression on his little face.

"What is what, Sir?" she asked, confused by his expression.

"That!" he replied pointing to her exposed skin.

Heat painteded her chest, neck, and face a dusky rose, immediately realizing he'd seen the love marks that Sibi had left on her tender skin the night before. She tossed the cloth onto a table and quickly fastened her stays.

"What have you been doing, Sir? Fighting a battle?" she asked, eyeing her brother's favorite pretend-sword--a branch of a tree. "Did you win this time?"

"Yeah, I always win," he responded in typical little boy arrogance, crossing his arms. "But what happened to you, sister? Did someone hurt you?

"Hurt me? Not at all, Sir," she said, searching for a response. She hated to lie to the boy, but she couldn't tell him the truth. "I took a tumble when I was doing the washing yesterday, and I fell against some stones, that's all."

He eyed her warily and then nodded, accepting her story as truth. He leaned into her and wrapped his arms around her, his sorrow at remembering Ea still fresh in his little heart. "Be careful, Ishtar. I love you."

Happiness wrapped around the young woman's soul and she hugged him tightly, kissing his messy hair and replying, "I will, sweetest of brothers. I love you, too."

Sibi heard Bau call out from the bedroom and he made his way through the hut and stood at the door, leaning against the frame, raising an eyebrow when he saw her wild hair. "Have you been playing in the sheets again, betrothed?"

There were times when Sibi used to think himself a God among men for having one of such exquisite beauty, back when he had been deluded into believing that was all that really mattered in a spouse. He had been young, full of lust and adrenaline from his first campaign. He had been surprised when she had agreed to his betrothal request and even more so when Iva and her father seemed supportive. That all seemed so long ago now. He could see the beauty there still in the full breasts, barely hidden yet teasing, in the shift she held to herself. He let his gaze roam over hungrily, an act if not at heart, to encourage the belief he would still seek to pursue her hand in marriage. He knew there were countless men who would give anything to have been in his sandals so to speak and the recipient of such a beauty's desire and affections.

"I have come to apologize for my behavior this morning," He began, moving to close the distance between them and reaching to grasp her hands in his own, squeezing gently. "It was inconsiderate of me to have been so inattentive to my betrothed. I was ill from lack of food and sleep combined with the heat of the sun. It took rest in your brother's hut to revitalize me."

He lowered himself down to sit on the edge of the bed and motioned for her to join him. "Are you happy with me as your betrothed, Bau? Speak truly, please."

Bau preened as her betrothed's eyes feasted on her in hunger. Even if he had ignored her this morning, his expression spoke something entirely different. She bit her bottom lip, scraping her teeth against it, and looked up at him from under lowered lashes, a movement she had seen the harlots make in the streets. As he apologized, she moved easily, sitting beside him when he motioned to her.

"Are you happy with me as your betrothed, Bau? Speak truly, please."

"Yes, very happy, Sibi," she replied, pushing her hair back from her face. "I am immensely pleased to soon be your wife," she said, smiling at him, and then sudden doubt gnawed at her belly, and her smile dropped with her eyes. Fear gripped her and she asked softly, her voice quivering, "Do you no longer desire me, Sibi? Is that why you haven't touched me? Am I...not pleasing to you?"

The young woman stood, turning to face him, and dropped the sheet she held against her breasts, her nubile body haloed in the sunlight streaming through the window. Her blonde hair fell about her in a golden wave, its waves hugging her soft flesh. She stalked forward, placing her hands on his shoulders, her breasts level with his face. She slid her hands down his arms and grasped his hands in hers, pulling both up to her lips and kissing his palms before guiding them to cup her full breasts.

"I will be a good wife, Sibi," she said, her voice seductive and silky. "I will never withhold my body from you and will never deny you pleasure, as so many wives do when they are upset with their husbands." She maneuvered his fingers on his left hand to rub her nipples, teasing them to tautness and then guided his other hand down her silky flesh to her mouth as she parted her legs. She pressed his hand against her womanhood, and she inhaled deeply, her arousal touching his fingertips. "I desire you, my betrothed. I want no other man but you. I...I love you."

"Iva, are you truly matchmaking like a village grandmother?" boomed his friend and fellow blade brother, Daon, his large form shaking with laughter. "I have met your sister, Ishtar, many times, and although she is a sweet young woman, she does not make my blood boil. However, your other sister--Bau. She has stirred me on more than one occasion." He winked at his double entendre, laughing again at his own joke.

Iva grimaced at the crude comment about his sister, but he'd known of Daon's desire for her for some time, which is why he sought the man out on the pretense of inviting him to court Ishtar but with the hopes that he would woo Bau instead. It would solve Sibi's problem and make Daon happy.

"Only because you are too ugly and old to find a wife of your own," he retorted, knowing his words to be a lie. Daon was one of the most popular men in their band of brothers, especially among the women they encountered in their travels. "I am not asking you to offer for her tonight, just come to dinner, enjoy some conversation with you blade brothers and my family, and consider her."

The other man laughed again, slapping his friend on the back and shaking his shoulder in friendly humor. "If you wanted me to dine at your home, brother, you had only to ask. No need to entice me with your little sister!" They spoke only a little longer, and then Iva left, hurrying home to tell his mother that there would be a guest for dinner.

Ishtar stirred tossed the flat dough onto the hot clay disk and watched it cook, bubbling slightly, and then she flipped it, smiling when it landed perfectly center. When the flatbread was lightly charred and perfectly cooked, she placed it with the others on a plate and repeated the process. There was something soothing and comforting in making bread, she thought.

"Daughter, have you seen Sir?" her father called from the doorway, and she jumped in surprise.

"He came for a snack a little while ago, Abum, but he returned to the olive trees to play," she replied, glancing up from her work.

The older man sighed, sitting on a stool beside the door. He poured a glass of water from he pitcher on the table and drank heavily before wiping his mouth and sighing. "I am getting old, Ishtar," he said, his voice resigned. "I cannot bend over the barley and wheat as I once did."

"You are not old, Abum!" she replied, surprised at her father's words. Aralu had always been the hardest working man in the village, and to consider him old was shocking for the girl.

He chuckled in response, "My knees feel old, and my back. Ah well, such is life, daughter. I am happy that Iva has finished his soldiering so that he may join Moumis in the fields again. It was difficult before he returned with Ea gone...," he trailed off, his memories rising to the surface.

Ishtar swallowed, nodding at what her father implied. Losing Ea had hurt each of them and created a hole in the family that could never be replaced. Not only was there an emotional burden in their hearts, but his loss created a physical strain on the farm. With Iva gone, her father and eldest brother Moumis had been forced to keep the farm running, and since Aralu had acquired many additional acres since he first inherited the land, the workload had been challenging.

The man slapped his leg, grinning broadly, "Ah, well, Iva has returned and has taken up his role on the farm, Sir is growing and can help now, and my new son will purchase a farm nearby and be able to help if needed. The gods have truly blessed me!"

"Praise the gods," she replied automatically, but her heart wasn't in it. The gods had cursed her, even if they had blessed her father. They had cursed her with a dead baby for taking her sister's betrothed into her body at the temple, and now they would punish her for their tryst in the garden. Just seeing Bau's rumpled, satisfied face today had broken Ishtar. She felt old and useless, like a candle with no wick.

Hearing her glum voice, Aralu stood and patted the young woman's shoulder. "Fear not, daughter. When this wedding is concluded, I will find a husband for you. You are young and healthy, a good cook and seamstress, and you have your mother's beautiful eyes. It will be your turn next."

She did not reply because in her heart of hearts she knew that she wanted no one but her sister's betrothed, despite his unfaithfulness. She loved him, and her soul cried for him and him alone.

Last edited:
"That is not what I meant, Bau." Sibi replied in a tired voice. "I meant are you happy with me, as an individual and who I am as said individual? Are you going to be content with all facets and parts that make me who I am? I am more than just a warrior and yet a warrior too, I am."

He removed his hands from her breasts and the warmth of her folds, chuckling at how ironic the action seemed, a man removing his hands from the very breasts a willing woman had pressed them to. "Bau, my betrothed. You do not have to worry about me ever not desiring your body or you. You are beautiful. There are times when I think you too beautiful for a simple warrior such as me. I do not know what played into your decision to agree to my betrothal; but, I am thankful that you did. Though you have accepted my betrothal request and I desire you, I must stand strong to my pledge not to have sexual relations with you this night."

"Do not misinterpret that," he was quick to soothe. "I would love to spend time in your company. Perhaps we can cuddle and share each other's warmth for a few hours?"

He waited for her to settle back on the bed, his arm curling up and over her, pulling her tight against his chest. "I do not want you to think that I am not for this union of ours, I am. I just do not wish to consummate our vows until the promised day of our union, you understand this, I hope?"

He would certainly understand if she didn't. He was a man and her ministrations and naked form had stirred one part of his anatomy that pressed against her lower back. He attempted to think inappropriate thoughts of her mother to help still the ache; but, it wasn't working. He knew that she would misinterpret his actions and more than likely press herself against him once more. He needed to think of something fast to help buy time so Iva could accomplish his task of finding a way to end their betrothal, he only hoped that Ishtar did not stumble upon them like this. He did not know how he would explain it to her without drawing the attention of her sister and possibly ruining any chance at the actual woman of his dreams and soul.

Last edited:
Sibi's words soothed Bau, even though embarrassment stained her cheeks. When he offered to cuddle her while they talked, she agreed, wrapping the sheet around her and joining him int he bed, settling back against his chest. Despite his words that he wanted to wait for the wedding night to consummate their marriage, she felt his desire against her back and she smiled, relieved that he did desire her.

"I understand, my betrothed," she replied, pushing her blonde hair behind her ears. "I will try to be patient."

"Bau! Sibi! Are you here?" called a voice from the other room. Bau groaned in frustration. Her little brother always interrupted at the most inconvenient times.

-------------------------------

When Sir left Ishtar in the hearth room, he wandered in the fields, thinking about Ishtar's bruises. Something didn't sit right about her story of tumbling into the river, but he didn't understand what else could cause the bruises...unless someone had hit her. He scowled angrily at the thought, wondering who would hurt his sister, and the only person he could think of was Bau.

Clenching his fists, he glanced toward the bridal hut. He'd seen Sibi head that way after leaving his brother's bachelor quarters. The boy rolled his eyes. Iva's advice was stupid. Sibi should just tell their father that he loved another woman and break the betrothal. He was only asking for trouble by letting Bau think he wanted to marry her.

Curious, he crept toward the hut and crawled listened outside the door, but he heard nothing. Not to be thwarted, he circled to the back of the hut and squatted beneath the bedroom window. He hurt murmurs but no clear words, and yet he could tell that the warrior was soothing Bau, trying to make her happy. Sir narrowed his eyes and crawled away from the window, considering this options. He, too, wanted to be a warrior like Sibi and Iva. Perhaps now he could rescue Sibi!

He stood, brushing dirt from his robe, and stalked to the front door, banging on it and calling out, "Bau! Sibi! Are you there?" He covered his mouth to cover his chuckle when he heard Bau's annoyed groan. "Sibi! Abum needs your help in the west field. He sent me to fetch you."

Sibi was relieved when Bau accepted his attempt to ease the chasm growing between them and settled back against him. He had been worried she would try to take advantage of the suggestion, turn it into something that benefited her. He did not see what she saw in him. He was a warrior, strong yet plain. A woman of her beauty could have any number of men, could have the wealth and prestige she seemed to desire, could have status. He would have to try to question her on the reasoning later when she was not nursing the sting of his rejection again.

"Thank you Bau," he soothed, running his hands slowly up and down her body over the sheet. "I am glad you can understand a simple soldier, a simple man's request."

Sir?

The voice called out again and Sibi rose up on to an elbow, peeking over Bau at the window and doorway. He could not see Sir; but, he could clearly hear the young boy's voice calling from outside the window. He slowly extricated himself from his betrothed, casting her apologetic glances as he did so and leaning down to kiss her brow, brushing a stray lock of golden hair behind an ear.

He placed a simple, chaste kiss on her lips. "Wait for me, my betrothed? I will return and spend time with you as I have promised. Let me see what your younger brother wants."

"Sir," Sibi called out as he exited the bridal hut, stretching his arms above his head and each shoulder in turn, heading the pleasurable sensation of muscles popping. "You called for me? I highly doubt your father has need of me in the field and it would certainly seem suspicious of me to search for him and ask. You know what I am trying to do, correct? While I appreciate your interruption, Bau was coming around to respecting my wishes. I have to appease her in the interim until your brother can determine a method to end my betrothal to your sister so that I may be with the true woman I love."

He was silent a moment, his gaze lifting. "Where is Ishtar? I thought she would be with you? Your parents allow you to roam about unaccompanied?"

"Regardless," Sibi continued with an almost inaudible sigh of disappointment. "I must return to Bau soon, I have promised to spend time with her and it will look too suspicious if I do not spend any time with her. Have you heard from your brother, has he any updates?"

"I came to rescue you from my dragon sister," Sir said simply, grinning up at the warrior and looking very pleased with himself.

Sibi was silent a moment, his gaze lifting. "Where is Ishtar? I thought she would be with you? Your parents allow you to roam about unaccompanied?"

The boy scowled. "I am on my father's property," he said simply, and I'm 10, not a little kid." He paused, as though hearing the man's first question again, and he looked up slyly. "Why'd you ask if Ishtar is here?"

"I must return to Bau soon, I have promised to spend time with her and it will look too suspicious if I do not spend any time with her. Have you heard from your brother, has he any updates?"

Sir shook his head and replied, "No updates, but Iva did go to see one of your blade brothers--Daon--who lives in the village." He paused, studying Sibi's face. "You don't have to spend time in bed with her to ease her suspicions, Sibi. I know everyone thinks me a child, but I understand more than most realize. Even though I don't like Bau, I think it unfair to let her believe you care about her more than you do. She's might be an old toad, but she's still my sister."

The boy turned and looked at the river, studying it before he asked, "Sibi, do you think someone slipping and falling into the river would really make bruises on her body? The river is slow, and the current is weak."

------------------------------------------------

Bau tingled where her betrothed touched her, and she smiled happily, stretching her naked body and kicking the sheet aside. The warrior desired her; she'd felt his arousal hard and firm against her back. She felt a tug in her womanhood, an aching need to be filled. Soon, she told herself.

Standing, she began to dress, ignoring the shift and slipping her robe on and fastening it carefully. She then braided her hair in a loose braid and folded the sheets and put them into a basket. Bau made her way into main room and opened the picnic lunch, taking out bread and cheese and sipping from a skin of wine, considering the future.

Sibi had asked her why she desired to marry him. He was handsome, despite his assertion that he was not, and brave. He was noble and had a pleasing disposition. All in all, she believed they would get on quite well, and he would be able to protect her if invaders should ever come to their shores again. Bau shivered at the thought, forcing back sad memories. But more than anything--he was safe. Although she loved in in a fashion, it was a love of what could be rather than adoration and heart-wrenching love. As long as he did not hold her heart in his hands, he could never truly hurt her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom